The Seven Gates by Laerthel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The impossible happened – a Silmaril has been stolen from Morgoth’s crown. Maedhros decides to reunite the People of Beleriand against the Enemy and attack him while he is still unprepared (which is by no means less impossible). Meanwhile, in the hidden city of Gondolin, Lord Glorfindel of the Golden Flower pursues the meaning of his recurring nightmares, only to find himself in the centre of a secret ploy against the ever-growing power of Maeglin Lómion in the King’s Council.

The People of Beleriand are astir; and as the strings of our heroes’ fates tangle, a dark shadow creeps above the North – the Fifth Battle approaches. And to what end, no one could dream...

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Curufin, Erestor, Glorfindel, Maedhros, Sons of Fëanor

Major Relationships: Fingon & Maedhros, Ecthelion & Glorfindel, Maedhros & Maglor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Family, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Animal Abuse, Character Death, Mature Themes, Torture, Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 32 Word Count: 143, 444
Posted on 22 April 2021 Updated on 3 April 2024

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Counsellor Tyelcano receives a report the contents of which simply cannot be true. He has no choice but to inform his Lord Maedhros immediately, which leads to a shocking realization.

Laurefindil receives terrible news, and Lómion is offended.

Laurefindil meets a child who is no longer a child, and Ecthelion feels left out.

Anardil and his eloquently offensive manners are introduced, and Ecthelion makes a wager.

A message comes to Himring from Menegroth.

It is quite uncommandable to attack a son of Feanor, especially if other sons of Feanor happen to be nearby.

An Orc band learns that the hard way.

Wounds - seen and unseen - are tended, and a cloak stirs controversy.

Celegorm and Curufin recount their side of the events, and Counsellor Tyelcano saves the day.

Erestor makes a new friend and Ecthelion * almost * executes a most gruesome royal order.

The Great Council starts, and Anardil shows his true colours.

Ecthelion's pride is hurt (thrice!), and Anardil's fate is decided.

Tyelcano seeks the meaning of his dreams; and prevents another disaster from striking.

Curufin's children are introduced; and their favourite uncle tells the story of his latest accidental mass murder.

Anardil settles into his new life in Gondolin, and makes a friend.

Anardil makes new acquaintances, takes an illegal shortcut through Ecthelion's gardens, and has a big revelations about his dreams.

Conflicts arise in the Himring, and Tyelcano has a very rough day - then, a message from the High King makes it even rougher.

Tyelcano receives a curious gift, hears his lord's secret message, and departs from the Himring.

Curufin is determined to stay silent, and Celegorm is determined to make him talk.

Maedhros and his brothers hold a great feast in the Himring - the wine, however, is not watered enough, and there are consequences.

The Oath of Feanor is awakened, but the flame of its fury is no longer fed by hatred.

Tyelcano's dreams come true.

Antalosse mourns his friends, and Counsellor Tyelcano gets acquanted with his new, rather luxurious prison cell.

Conspiracies - intentional and unintentional - are plotted, and a friendship is strengthened.

Antalosse's luck turns once more, Fingon's questionable wisdom is introduced, and Maedhros strengthens an alliance.

Many meetings occur, songs are sung, and revelations are made.

More secrets are uncovered, and a certain Teler lord has yet another trick up his sleeve.

Fingon comes to the Himring, and hell breaks loose.

Something is burning, and for once, the Seven Sons cannot be held responsible.

Or can they?

Maglor is found, and he has many things to say. Brotherly sap ensues.

Six months have passed. Tyelcano has found his place in Gondolin, made friends, and is almost happy with his new life. Fate, of course, is quite ready to ruin everything.

Turgon sets an impromptu Small Council meeting; Tyelcano demonstrates his loyalty. All kinds of drama and friendly sap ensue.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Laerthel has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure, Pacing, Plot, Point of View, Research, Sensitivity Read, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.