The Seven Gates by Laerthel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The impossible happened – a Silmaril has been stolen from Morgoth’s crown. Maedhros decides to reunite the People of Beleriand against the Enemy and attack him while he is still unprepared (which is by no means less impossible). Meanwhile, in the hidden city of Gondolin, Lord Glorfindel of the Golden Flower pursues the meaning of his recurring nightmares, only to find himself in the centre of a secret ploy against the ever-growing power of Maeglin Lómion in the King’s Council.

The People of Beleriand are astir; and as the strings of our heroes’ fates tangle, a dark shadow creeps above the North – the Fifth Battle approaches. And to what end, no one could dream...

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Curufin, Erestor, Glorfindel, Maedhros, Sons of Fëanor

Major Relationships: Fingon & Maedhros, Ecthelion & Glorfindel, Maedhros & Maglor

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Family, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Animal Abuse, Character Death, Mature Themes, Torture, Violence (Graphic)

Chapters: 32 Word Count: 143, 444
Posted on 22 April 2021 Updated on 3 April 2024

This fanwork is a work in progress.

PROLOGUE - An Ode to the Fallen

Read PROLOGUE - An Ode to the Fallen

Before you begin...

This fanfiction is a retelling (a novelization, you could say) of The Silmarillion, chapter XX, with a few twists. As such, it is filled with mythological lore, cites quite a few fictive languages, and is generally difficult to read –  but hey, maybe some of you will be hooked.

Professor Tolkien owns everything apart from my OC-s, of course.

Enjoy your reading!

Laerthel

_________________________________________________________________

“In those days Maedhros son of Fëanor lifted up his heart, perceiving that Morgoth was not unassailable; for the deeds of Beren and Lúthien were sung in many songs throughout Beleriand. Yet Morgoth would destroy them all, one by one, if they could not again unite, and make new league and common council; and he began those counsels for the raising of the fortunes of the Eldar that are called the Union of Maedhros.”

/ J. R. R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion; XX. Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad /

_________________________________________________________________

An Ode to the Fallen
(as sung in the Hall of Fire in the Last Homely House by those who still remember)

Torches burnt low and darkness grew
in starlight's gleam hope stirred anew
in weary hearts of iron hewn
on brows clouded by icy gloom.

Proud kings fled and proud realms failed
our lands devoured by fire;
bury the dead and drain the mead
were all my heart's desire;
but lo! New threat comes from the North
along with hope, though be it false!
New hordes of Orcs are stepping forth
let thus a tale of woes be told;

Of he who walks in starlight,
who drapes himself in clouds
He who hides in caves and breaches,
icy peaks that Darkness shrouds;
of he who climbed those Mountains
where all paths find their ends;
of he who found pride, worth and might
where plague, danger and evil dwelt:

Of he who was not without fear
but strong enough he was;
of he whose fate, though hard to bear,
was still the one he chose;
and all those swords and all that light
and all those clear eyes burning bright;
O! Let me sing of silent nights,
of mighty deeds and twinkling stars;

Our Bane with valor in the midst
with life in death's embrace
as proud armies rode in the mist
with the worst of foes to face;
Our Alliance, our deepest sorrow
let our Great Tale begin!
Let the light of day stir by the morrow
while crows feast on our kin.

A Scandalous Nonsense

Counsellor Tyelcano receives a report the contents of which simply cannot be true. He has no choice but to inform his Lord Maedhros immediately, which leads to a shocking realization.

Read A Scandalous Nonsense

THE SEVEN GATES

~ × ~

"Hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it."

Romans 8:24

~ × ~

The Fortress of Himring, FA 467, late Súlimë

Under the soft silk nightrobe that swerved at every start of his limbs, Counsellor Tyelcano was fidgeting. There was simply no other word for it.

He was also fingering his chalice, quite nervously.

In front of him lay a stained piece of parchment: a report from the homecoming scouts that had been handed straight to him due to its most urgent nature. His Lord Maedhros, however, had already retired to his chambers for the night, and Counsellor Tyelcano was unwilling to disturb him. It was much easier to pour himself a cup of fine red wine and read the report alone – or so he'd thought.

It had not seemed a daunting task at first, considering that the text was rather sparing of words – laconic, one could say –, confined to three brief sentences.

Lords Tyelkormo and Curufinwë banned from Nargothrond. One of the Silmarili stolen, and in the hands of Thingol. Moringotto sleeps no more.

Tyelcano took a generous sip of wine and read the report again, but the words remained the same, assertive, merciless. His eyes stopped several times above the words banned, Silmarili and stolen, a feeling of great unease surging inside him.

First of all, this was a fake report. Tyelcano did not recognize the handwriting, and any scout of the Himring would have known better than to state things of such gravity without any proof or details. If the Counsellor twisted his mind, the thick, abundant outlines of the tengwar reminded him of something – someone? - but his thoughts lost their track when he tried to match them with a face. No: this was no doing of the scouts, nor of anyone else within the grim walls of the fortress.

Tyelcano pushed the shards of wax back together to examine the seal, but he found nothing suspicious. It was of origin, much like any other seal in the huge pile of documents that lay next to him on the desk.

It must have been replaced, Tyelcano decided. Someone took the original report, exchanged it with this chaotic mess of lies, then sealed it, possibly very pleased with themselves. But how and why? Who could have the courage – the madness – to steal a secret document right from Lord Maedhros's scouts, only to replace it with utter nonsense that no one would ever be likely to believe?

The whole endeavour seemed completely pointless; and even if Counsellor Tyelcano hated unanswered questions with passion, he preferred to retrieve the original report first – or have it rewritten, if necessary.

Whoever stole the original one, good luck to them with deciphering all the codes, he smirked.

(Lord Maedhros had always been quite resourceful when it came to using secret keywords where none were suspected; a sentence could read “Remnants of an Orc camp found two and a half miles north from river Celon, third bend”, and actually mean “Lord Maglor is to pay a visit with a dozen riders in a fortnight”).

Tyelcano suppressed a sigh, and read the message once more. He could not get rid of the sensation of overlooking something evident, something that was about to pass right under his nose. There was something about this message that bothered him.

“Moringotto sleeps no more,” he muttered under his breath.

Not that it was a surprise.

Four winters ago, the Enemy had assailed the Kingdom of Hithlum in the North, sudden, unannounced; so swiftly that the worst of the fight was over by the time Lord Maedhros gathered his army to offer help. Since then, silence and stillness reigned in Beleriand, interrupted only once in a while by Orcs lingering in the woods and moorlands. Some were whispering that the Enemy had gone to sleep, but some others – and Counsellor Tyelcano was one of them - were convinced that he was merely biding his time.

One of the Silmarili stolen, and in the hands of Thingol, Tyelcano read again, frowning. Only once in his waking life had he been granted with the opportunity to meet the King of the Úmanyar; and Thingol did not seem one who would risk a desperate quest to Angamando. And how could he ever dream to claim a Silmaril for himself? Why him?

Why one of the Moriquendi? Tyelcano thought with scorn – then quieted his thoughts immediately. This was not the moment to get carried away. After all, what was he reading? A bunch of nonsense. A Silmaril stolen, in the hands of Thingol? The idea was ridiculous, even for the vapidest kind of jest.

Angamando is impenetrable, Tyelcano reminded himself. The Silmarili cannot be reclaimed, unless – unless Moringotto comes forth to face us. And Manwë help us all if he ever does that.

Manwë has been the lone and constant recipient of Tyelcano's prayers since his lord's rescue, and even now as he uttered his name and unwrinkled the parchment under his hands, his fëa felt a little lighter. Tyelcano read the text for what seemed like the thousandth time, now aloud.

“Of course,” he murmured immediately afterwards.

There actually was a code hidden within the message, although it read no more than a name, swiftly (and overwhelmingly) recognized by Tyelcano as the handwriting's owner.

Which meant – Valar, could it mean that the news were actually true?!

I any case, Lord Maedhros needed to be woken at once.

Tyelcano got to his feet, wrapped a thick black cloak around himself before one could mouth inappropriate attire, and rushed out of the room, clutching the precious report in his fist.

*

It was the third hour of the day, and lights were burning low along the corridor. The march to the lord’s chambers seemed longer than usual, and Tyelcano had to grab a torch to light his way through a particularly nasty, narrow stone bridge that linked two archways below open air. It had probably not been built for sauntering across the castle in one’s nightrobes, but the Counsellor knew all roundabouts and secret corners in the fortress, and maintained the right to use them as he wished.

When he reached his lord's doorstep at last, Tyelcano unfolded the parchment with his free hand and ran through it one last time. He considered setting it on fire and pretend it had never existed – it would have perhaps gained him a peaceful day, or another. One could not, however, change the patterns in Vairë's weaves and shut out the perils of the world. The report was already here, another thing to accept, to do with; and so the feather-light veil that separated peace from war needed to be drawn yet again.

We shall not know peace until Moringotto's realm is overthrown, Tyelcano thought as he entered the room. We shall not know peace until the Oath is fulfilled. I have known this. Why should it strike me every time as a novelty?

Tyelcano slipped his torch into a free holder on the side of the wall and stepped into the room. The light of a forgotten candle flickered faintly in the lord's bedchamber, but it was empty: the cushions at their place, the sheets clean and untouched. Lord Maedhros was lounging in the wide armchair behind his desk instead, quill still in hand as he slept peacefully, his breathing steady and deep. Several piles of notes were lying around him, written in his own messy hand, as if he had been searching for something; and the Counsellor knew better than to look at them.

Tyelcano could not help but watch his lord for a few moments. Seldom had he ever seen Maedhros rest so peacefully since his rescue, and it pained him to disturb him in his sleep.

“Lord Nelyo,” he said gently, his voice no stronger than the rustle of leaves on a windy autumn eve.

Maedhros shifted his weight unconsciously from his left arm to the right, and gave a low grunt. Two centuries ago, such a movement would have made him scream in pain, Tyelcano knew, but the world had changed; and so had he.

“My lord,” the Counsellor called again. “You need to wake! I have news.”

“...all flowers shall wither,” Maedhros mumbled. He lifted his head unconsciously for a moment, shifting weight onto his shoulders.

“Lordship!” Tyelcano called, squeezing Maedhros’s hand. He knew better than to shake him. “Wake up!”

“...in sorrow it has started and in sorrow it must end; behold the banners as they gleam in the light of the rising sun! The night is passing but another night shall come, blacker than ink, black as the Void beyond the Circles of the World.”

Tyelcano froze. Maedhros's eyes were open now, gleaming distantly; it seemed that he had slipped from the state of deep, undisturbed sleep to a more conscious one where he was able to chase dreams, and live them.

The case of the report was urgent, and Tyelcano had to wake his lord immediately. It was his duty to do so… but those words, those words filled him with great wonder and disbelief. Wonder, because they sounded so strange; and disbelief, because they sounded so familiar...

“...many years could one wander and many years could he hope, yet he shan't succeed; the mountains are high and the peaks icy cold, and all flowers shall wither.”

Tyelcano gasped loudly as he realized why did he know these words – and his lord's eyes flew open, fully open, and he was awake.

“Counsellor!” said Maedhros, somewhat grudgingly. “Dawn is still far.”

“As I am aware, lordship.” Tyelcano bowed, collecting himself. “Forgive me, but there is an important matter we should discuss immediately.”

Maedhros stretched his long legs and slid the stump of his maimed right hand from the table, out of sight, as was his habit.

“And what would that be?”

Tyelcano heroically suppressed the need to ask his lord about his latest wandering in Irmo's lands. “The scouts arrived,” he said instead, “and brought a most... strange message.”

Maedhros raised a thin eyebrow. “Tell me more.”

“At first, my lord, I deemed it was some kind of tasteless joke, because – well, read it for yourself.”

Maedhros took the parchment from his Counsellor.

“Carnistir!” he exclaimed at once.

“That was what I read from the codes, too,” Tyelcano nodded. “It may still be some kind of ruse, but that would mean someone deciphered our system of messaging, which is a rather intimidating possibility.”

“No,” Lord Maedhros shook his head. “Never. Besides, this is my brother's hand; his letters betray him.”

Now that the first matter was settled, Maedhros proceeded to read. Tyelcano watched his face eagerly: brows rising to impossible heights, lips straightening and pressing forcefully against each other, jawline suddenly harder and visible. Minutes passed like this – Maedhros sitting like a statue, eyes running up and down the parchment again and again; and Tyelcano standing, waiting, watching. Eventually, Maedhros placed the message on the table and leaned back in his chair, his face unreadable.

“Do you still like wine, Counsellor?” he asked quietly.

“Wine, my lord?”

“You smell of it. I want to smell of it, too, if you don’t mind.”

With that, the lord reached out to the top of the nearest drawer and dropped a flagon on the table. Tyelcano closed his eyes, revelling in the rich, sweet scent of wine.

“Counsellor?” Maedhros said softly. “Would you be so kind and hold our goblets? I am afraid I cannot handle this situation.”

His voice was at the same time amused and acid.

“I – oh – I apologise, lordship.”

Tyelcano sprang to his feet and reached for the wine. Silence stretched between them afterwards; Maedhros drank deep, and he did not grant him as much as a glance for several minutes. When Tyelcano could not bear it longer, he spoke up.

“May I ask what your thoughts were on the report?”

“Oh, that.” Maedhros leaned back comfortably in his chair. “Interesting, eh?”

“Interesting is maybe not the word I would use,” said Tyelcano cautiously.

“Can we settle for amusing, then?”

“Definitely not, my lord.”

Maedhros took another fair sip of the wine, and studied him from above his goblet.

“So my Counsellor is not amused. Nor should be I, in that case. May I ask what your thoughts were, then?”

“Well, I was hoping that the message would prove fake; but if it came from your lord brother, it must be true. Which entails... certain possible complications.”

“Certain possible complications.” Maedhros echoed, with an unmistakeable glint of amusement in his eyes.

“It sounds completely asinine!” Tyelcano crossed his arms. “How Lord Carnistir became acquainted with such news, I cannot imagine, unless...” He frowned, sudden and hard, as a possibility flashed through his mind.

“That unless is why you're here for,” Maedhros said, eyes alight with interest. “Tell me!”

“A few months ago,” Tyelcano said, “a letter came from your brother Tyelkormo. Do you still have it, my lord? I would never intrude your privacy, but I wonder if he mentioned anything about...”

“Manwë!” Maedhros sighed. “What a desperate fool I am! Of course – that letter has the answers; and I even remember...”

After no more than a minute of rummaging, Maedhros found the ominous letter. “Here it is!” He whispered. “Listen… I am tempted to think, brother, that the intelligence of our House has run out with us. Findaráto is not only a great fool, but also quite dangerous, for he spreads that folly. Here he is, seeking to accompany a mortal Man into the hells of Angamando, to steal a Silmaril – a piece of our rightful heritage – from Moringotto, in exchange for the hand of Thingol's daughter! I repeat, Maitimo – a mortal Man!

They sought to hide their treason from me and Curufinwë, knowing that we would strongly protest. But – as he so wisely puts it – let them! We shall let the dullards find their own ends, their own despair. I can only hope that Findaráto or any of those who are willing to follow him (they shan't be numerous, we'll see to that) won't tell the Enemy in their torment, how to best assault Nargothrond, at least.”

This was more than Tyelcano could suddenly bear.

“Venomous words,” he said in a low voice, “but they have truth in them. However, with what we know now, this means... that they succeeded?”

“They obviously did.” Maedhros’s voice was very cold. “I was a fool; I did not heed Tyelko's warning. I thought this could never happen.”

“We need to know how,” Tyelcano whispered. “If a mortal Man could truly enter his fortress, Moringotto's power must dwindle...”

“A mortal Man and the daughter of Melian the Maia, I kindly remind you. We have to find out why exactly my brothers were banned from Nargothrond – though the answer, I take it, would likely be high treason – and what does Carnistir have to do with all this.” Maedhros crossed his arms. “When that is done, we can content ourselves with hopes and dreams if you wish.”

Tyelcano stood. “And your command is…?”

“Letters to my six brothers, biding them to come immediately. Send a letter to Findekáno as well, asking for news. Very formal and evasive, that one. If he knows something, he will understand. And double the watch. If you have news, seek me out and we'll discuss it at once. You will share your thoughts with me, and only me.”

“As you wish.”

“Now find some rest, Counsellor – and do take the rest of the wine with you. Delicious.”

“It is.” Tyelcano said, his curiosity suddenly overwhelming him. He decided to take a small risk, and sat back in the wide armchair; and he said, in the most casual tone he could suddenly produce:

“Grant me one more moment, my lord, for I must mention... You were talking in your sleep.”

Maedhros said nothing, but arched his eyebrows.

“You said something about the withering of flowers and the passing of night, and –”

“It was only a dream,” said Maedhros. “And now, if you have nothing else to discuss with me...”

“Dark is the night and ice crumbles beneath his feet as he crawls,” Tyelcano said, taking a leap of faith. “Hideous creatures lurk in the walls and he flees from them, draping himself into the canvas that is the night. But he who walks in starlight does not flinch; he hides in caves and near breaches and behind rocks, and on he wanders, and on he wanders, but a dead end awaits. The gates are closed.”

Maedhros was staring at him in awe. “But how could you...” he breathed. “I was not there in my dream yet!”

Tyelcano blinked. “Was it not for the first time, then, that you dreamed of such things?”

“It is the same almost every night,” Maedhros shrugged. “Withering flowers, flowing banners, darkness and icy peaks; sometimes a white city draped in moonlight. Why would you ask?”

“Because the same vision has been tormenting me for weeks, my lord,” Tyelcano said gravely. “I thought it would cease in time, but it doesn’t; and if you are seeing it, too…”

“This is very strange indeed,” Maedhros mused. “Have you ever seen the white city? In your dream, that is.”

“Nay. The only thing I remember is crawling in the darkness, shaking all over from the cold. And the gates –”

“The gates are closed.” Maedhros sighed. “I know. I wonder what could it all mean.”


Chapter End Notes

 

Pocket Quenya:

Súlimë – March (Gwaeron in Sindarin).

Tyelkormo = Celegorm

Curufinwë = Curufin

Carnistir = Caranthir

'Maitimo' means 'well-shaped one'; it is Maedhros's amilessë (mother's name), used only by family members or close friends.

Findekáno = Fingon

Angamando = Angband

The Úmanyar = "Those of not Aman" ~ the politically correct name referring to "The Moriquendi" = "The dark elves" ~ those who never sailed.

On the use of Quenya

In this story, Quenya language is still actively in use between the Feanoreans’ household as they consider it an important part of their cultural heritage. This sense of importance may vary from convenience (Tyelcano) to habit (Maedhros) to political stance (Curufin). Likewise, Tyelcano’s and Maedhros’s viewpoints only use Quenya when they speak, and Curufin’s expands the use of Quenya to the entire narrative.

Regarding Gondolin, the presence of Quenya is due to more practical reasons, as it was admittedly widespread in Turgon’s household. For this reason, the use of Quenya expands to names and even places in Glorfindel’s and Erestor’s viewpoints.

ON THE MARKING OF DATES: Since the story is being told from different viewpoints, and the characters are often far away from each other, I have decided to date the chapters, according to OUR calendar (365 days, 12 months, etc) and not the Elvish one. I will, however, use the Quenya names of the months (always translated in the Notes).

An Earnest Seeker

Laurefindil receives terrible news, and Lómion is offended.

Read An Earnest Seeker

The palace of King Turukáno, Ondolindë, FA 467, late Súlimë

Lómion’s voice was low and shrill; and from behind his back it came, as it so often would.

“Well met, Captain! I did not dream to find you awake.”

Laurefindil laughed. “And tell me, why would I waste such a pleasant morning on mere sleep?

Thick fog was sprawling below their feet, past the balustrade and out in the open air, as if they were walking above mist and among clouds. The Tower of the King cut through its dim, heavy layer like a mithril-blade, gleaming sharp and needle-thin.

“…beautiful, do you think not? The last few mornings left me wandering if the city was still down there, though.”

“Have no doubt,” said Counsellor Lómion and he moved smoothly closer to the balustrade. “Look at the tower-tops and your memory shall paint the rest.”

“Is that why I see you out here at this early hour? Painting?

Lómion blinked. “I come to you at the behest of the King. The Eagles brought news – none of them pleasant, I fear. The Council shall be gathered in a few days and King Turukáno wants you to be informed beforehand.”

“I’m honoured,” said Laurefindil, although this was mere formality. He already knew that King Turukáno valued his opinion as much as Lómion's – mostly because the pair of them would seldom agree.

The Counsellor nodded as he fell into step with him. They descended to a lower level of the walls, where the impenetrable blade of white rock adjoined an open archway, leading to the South Wing of the Palace. Laurefindil halted in the middle there, and leaned against the epaulement.

The dim tumult of fog was still well below him, but a few puffs of mist were so close he felt as though he could reach out and catch them. Dewdrops moistened his fingers when he touched the shimmering wall; then, as he touched his face, the subsiding water was so clear and cool it made him blink.

“It reminds me of the springs near Tirion,” he said absently.

“I happen to enjoy washing my face in clouds as well,” Lómion admitted, “albeit for a simpler reason.”

“And what is that?”

“I have always thought it was impossible.”

Laurefindil smiled. “I understand.”

“Do you, now?”

Laurefindil gave a slow nod. “Now,” he said, “tell me about those grave news. I doubt you are here to discuss the nature of clouds, after all.”

Lómion did not stop smiling, but Laurefindil noticed that the smile did not reach his eyes. He glanced around to see if they were alone: thus strengthened in his resolve, he sat beside Laurefindil, atop the balustrade. Neither spoke for a while; they waited in quiet, swinging their legs above the misty void. The sky was a deep, clear blue above them, the white walls of the Palace shimmering like a mountain forged of diamonds.

“A few hours ago…” Lómion spoke up hesitantly. “Well. A few hours ago, in the middle of the night, Thorondor, the King of Eagles himself came and wished to speak with King Turukáno; then persisted until we woke him up. They met in the courtyard, next to the Fountains; and they spoke until dawn. The Eagle brought many news, among them an incredible story… It seems that Lúthien Tinúviel, the princess of Doriath fell in love with Beren Erchamion, a mortal Man; and together, they broke the black gates of Angamando and stole a Silmaril from the Enemy's crown. This tale, King Thorondor said, is now spreading to every corner of Beleriand, and soon it shall be heard by the Sons of Fëanáro… and King Findekáno… and Men and Dwarves and Sindar and Teleri… and who knows what doom it may yet bring upon us!”

“One of the Silmarili!” Laurefindil exclaimed, deaf to anything else. “You said they stole one of the Silmarili?!”

 “You heard me.”

“And what has become of it?”

“Of that, we cannot be sure; but when it comes to the Gates of Angamando...”

“Lómion, this is extremely important! What has become of the Jewel?”

Abrupt silence fell between them, and Lómion's eyebrows arched higher.

“...I apologize for my crude words,” Laurefindil said hastily, “but the question of the Silmaril is delicate and pressing. Would you please tell me everything you know about it?”

“It is said that the Jewel was brought back to King Thingol, in most unbelievable circumstances,” said Lómion rigidly.

“And he kept it for himself?”

“And so he did.”

Laurefindil sighed. “This means war,” he said quietly. “The Seven Sons shall never let him have it. This means another terrible battle, Lómion, where our closest kin shall slay our furthest; and all of their deaths shall be in vain.”

“Let the fools slay each other,” said Lómion. “This is precisely why our wise King chose to settle here, among the Oroquilta... More pressing, however, is the fact that the Enemy has been woken from his sleep and he shall no longer sit idly. The Eagles say that his spies are everywhere. We have to double the watch! King Turukáno, as you are aware, has been troubled for years, seeking to help his brother, inviting him and his people to Ondolindë to live here; and now he is torn between that, and shutting the Gates once and for all. I have not changed my mind ever since: if we are to contact the outside world now, we risk being discovered, and thus destroyed.”

“So you would abandon our kin, helpless against the wrath of both the Kinslayers and the Enemy,” said Laurefindil rigidly.

“I said nothing alike.”

“Your words themselves contain your judgement. How could you be so cold, child? They are our kin, yours even more than mine, even though you never knew them. We should help them, and help them all! Help them now! Who are we to judge who has the right to be safe and who has not? We have been isolated for too long.”

“When it comes to the threat of the Black Foe,” said Lómion gravely, “I am indeed colder than ice – and you should be as well. We are talking about the safety of the King Turukáno, who, I kindly remind you, is my uncle; and twofold he is dear to me: as a leader and as one of my closest kin.”

“King Findekáno is your uncle, too,” said Laurefindil. “I am only asking you to remember that.”

“That I shall. And I shall also clash against you in council if need be.”

“Why, I look forward to that.” Laurefindil smiled wryly. “Shall we learn more there?”

“I certainly hope so.”

“Very well,” Laurefindil sighed. “You gave me much to think about. Is there anything else the King wants me to know?”

Lómion closed his eyes for a moment, and when he opened them, they were shimmering with pity and concern – open emotions, which was remarkably unlike him.

“There is one more thing. I hate to be the harbinger of grief, but the King insisted you should hear this before the Council. I am sorry, Laurefindil… but your friend, King Findaráto, has been slain.”

“Findaráto...?”

Laurefindil had not spoken the name for what seemed like Ages, but it has always been there, lingering at the back of his mind.

“...slain...?”

His head reeled wildly, as if he was drunk; and for a moment, he felt like falling into the misty void beneath.

Lómion put a cautious hand on his shoulder, and Laurefindil schooled himself. He was the Head of the House of the Golden Flower, Captain of the King's Guards and Marshal of his Armies – not some whining elfling! No one was allowed to see him perturbed.

“Do we know how…?”

Lómion seemed to ponder that for a moment. “Not precisely.”

Laurefindil drew a sharp breath. “I – King Turukáno was right. I needed to know. Thank you.”

Lómion nodded. “I presume you now wish to be alone.”

*

Fog was lifting over the green valley of Tumladen; the silhouettes of houses and small towers were becoming visible, grey shadows on a lighter canvas, but Laurefindil paid them no heed. He strode back to his chambers instead, locked the door, and collapsed onto his bed, burying his face in his palms.

Findaráto slain...

No tears came, only the gut-wrenching feeling of despair… and remorse.

He was slain – one I cared for, amongst hundreds. Or thousands, for all I know. How many more? How many more deaths have gone unannounced since I’ve been sitting here in idle peace?

A time may still come when the Enemy finds us; and what then? Where shall we run if all our friends are killed? We hide behind barred gates and impenetrable mountains, untouched by the perils of Beleriand and thus taking no part of it. Why did we let this happen?

For the first time since he came in Ondolindë, Laurefindil found himself openly missing the rest of the world. He missed the friends he left when he decided to follow his King; he missed green Vinyamar and the seashores; he missed the sight of wide plains as he rode out to the fields of Nevrast.

We have been isolated for too long, he thought.


Chapter End Notes

Pocket Quenya

Laurefindil = Glorfindel [m.: "golden head of hair"]

Lómion [m.: "child of twilight"] is an amilessë (mother's name) for Maeglin [m.: "sharp glance"]

Findaráto = Finrod [m.:"golden-haired champion"]

Turukáno = Turgon

Fëanáro = Fëanor

Findekáno = Fingon

Moringotto = Morgoth

 

‘Oroquilta’ is a Quenya translation for the Echoriath (Encircling Mountains) around Gondolin. Since I found no Quenya equivalent for it, I allowed myself to create one. Basis: oro /mount, mountain/ + qilti- /gird, encircle/ -> quilta- / imitating later verb forms and some vocal harmony.

Ondolindë [m.:"the rock of the music of water"] = Gondolin [m.: "stone of music"]

On the use of Quenya: According to the Unfinished Tales and Tolkien’s Letters, “Turgon after his foundation of the secret city of Gondolin had re-established Quenya as the daily speech of his household” ; “Quenya was in daily use in Turgon's house, and was the childhood speech of Eärendil” ;  and Tuor heard the Guard of Gondolin speak “in the High Speech of the Noldor, which he knew not”. Also, Eöl later called his son by the Sindarin name Maeglin, but Aredhel “taught Maeglin the Quenya tongue, though Eöl had forbidden it”.

A Face from the Past

Laurefindil meets a child who is no longer a child, and Ecthelion feels left out.

Read A Face from the Past

The next morning, Laurefindil was surprised – and less than pleased – to hear the same sleek voice calling after him.

“This morn, Lómion, it is me who did not dream to find you awake,” he said. “Have the Eagles returned?”

“Nay,” said Lómion. “Sleep eluded me tonight, and so I decided to take a walk till the night turned into dawn. I was heading back to my quarters when I saw you crossing the marketplace; the streets are quiet and the peace of my mind returns.”

Laurefindil risked a glance at the Counsellor. Lómion's eyes made him as uneasy as ever: they were too lively and yet too distant; and they spoke of knowledge; an understanding of things well beyond his age.

“...and then you realised that your peace was again perturbed by my presence,” he said with a smile.

Lómion turned away from him. “You jest, Captain; and yet our last conversation left me tense and wondering.”

“In that case, you must forgive me. It was out of grief that I spoke; and it may as well be that my words cut deeper than I thought.”

“There is nothing to forgive,” said Lómion. “But pray tell me, Laurefindil: do you think I am cold-hearted?”

Laurefindil blinked. Since when did Lómion care what anyone thought of him…?

“I do not remember saying that.”

“No indeed: you would never insult me so. Yet it seemed to me that you thought I was – or would be – unmoved by your pain; that I did not care for those outside Ondolindë. It is no intention of mine, of course, to cross any line of intimacy, but you made me ask myself if there was anything about my behaviour that implied cold-heartedness… callousness... dispassion...”

A minute passed in silence before it dawned on Laurefindil that he could not, by any means, avoid answering.

“I find, Lómion,” he said at length, “that you are courteous and delicate. Clever and observant. You know your limits and your qualities and you use them well. This may indeed make you seem stern, sometimes distant. But callous? Dispassionate? I think not. After all, do we act out of character or choice…? I doubt anyone could tell me that. You may think that I am putting pride and revenge before duty when I want us to stop hiding; and I may think that Eru had wrought your heart from ice. Thinking, however, does not make any of these assumptions true; and I am unfit to make judgements in this matter. Are you not?”

“Am I?” Lómion raised his brows. “Intriguing. What if all my sternness is an act fuelled by mere caution? Or the wish to spare lives? Does that make me a liar? Should I speak the truth, then, and let disaster happen?”

Laurefindil stared at the silvery white gleam on the pavement, as if it was the greatest wonder of Ondolindë.

“Yes and no,” he said at length. “I cannot tell you which choice would be the right one, or which one I would choose.”

“How about betrayal, then? Should I break a promise if it means that I can save my family? Should I defy my king if he belied the bonds of blood and honour? Should I clash against my brother-in-arms in a battle if he is grief-stricken and desperate, and might hurt others or himself? Should I tell a mother that her son is dying, or should I let her hope until he draws his last breath?”

“Yes, yes and yes,” said Laurefindil. “But never crush the hopes of a mother. I refuse to live in a world where there is no hope.”

“Is that a command of head or heart, then?”

“At times, they do mingle,” Laurefindil mused. “May I answer you with a question?”

He expected a dark glare, or some quick snap of the other’s tongue as an answer; something like “you already have,” but there came none.

“…my question is: why does it matter?”

Lómion's eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Why does it matter? You could then ask – why anything matters?”

“Aye, a fair question in return.” Laurefindil laughed. “Why? And: does it?”

“I fail to understand you.”

“And I you, Lómion. You are of royal blood, both counsellor and craftsman. Yes, you are still half a child; yes, you may still have much to learn. And you eventually will. But why would you care whether Laurefindil of the Golden Flower – or anyone else, at that –, thinks that you are cold-hearted? And what would you do if I did – challenge me with a sword? Send me flowers each morn?”

Lómion was silent.

“You cannot make everyone love you, young lord: not with your sharp tongue, your cunning mind and skilled hands. And if you were to change, you would lose everything you are now loved for.”

“My father always told me…” Lómion drew a shuddering breath. “You... you spoke like him, and yet you did not. Not in the end.”

“Like your father?”

“I said not in the end. Forgive me.”

“There is nothing to forgive. I may have spoken like your Atar at some point of his life; why would that be impossible?”

“Because I have no Atar,” said Lómion; and now he did sound cold-hearted as he stood with his arms crossed, gripping the fabric of his clothes so hard that his knuckles whitened.

Lo and behold, Laurefindil thought, the lore-master who knows every law and rule is truly no more than a lonely, frightened child.

He had always felt that there was a shadow over Lómion’s heart; but the sheer reality of it suddenly seemed almost as heart-breaking as the passing of Findaráto.

“Prince Tyelkormo was once a good friend of mine, did you know that?” Laurefindil suddenly said. “We would oft hunt together. Oromë himself joined us at times.”

Now, Lómion did glare at him.

“He was a merry youth, always boasting of his skill with bow. And he had every right to do that.”

“Why are you telling me this, Captain?”

“Because things are different now, and it would probably come to the swords if we met. Still, that does not make him less of an old friend for me, and I refuse to hate his memory because of what happened. And you – you cannot change the past, Lómion. Yes, you had a father, and yes, your father betrayed you. That does not poison every word he had ever said to you.”

“No, you misunderstand,” Lómion shook his head. “You spoke like him and you did not, I said. My father always told me that uncertainty was weakness itself. Again and again he would insist that if I was not loved or cared for, it was no more than a sign of envy. He expected me to hate those who scorned me. He told me to hold my head high, and look right through them... yet I never truly had anyone around me to look through.

“In a way, your father was right,” said Laurefindil, “but his words are bitter. You need not hate anyone. You merely need to accept that you will never be loved by all, for such a thing is not possible.”

“And wanting to be loved,” said Lómion in a low voice, “is that a sin, Captain?”

And he left.

*

The Alley of Roses came to an abrupt end, and the green valley of Tumladen opened in front of Laurefindil. He stopped for a moment, letting his eyes run far and free; as far as the icy peaks of the Oroquilta let them, and as free as his wandering thoughts allowed. Carelessly, he crossed the fresh green sward, drawing nearer to the edge of the encircling mountains, where the ground started to rise abruptly. There winded the first watch-line of the White City, no more than a dozen feet above the rocky ground.

Laurefindil's bliss slowly faltered as he climbed the stairs, mulling over Lómion's last words.

Wanting to be loved? But he is loved well enough – or acknowledged, at least. What could this be all about?

Lómion always cared to wear a mask of confident indifference in front of those he worked with, be they craftsman, lords of might or his own uncle; it was remarkably unlike him to hint at his thoughts, or Valar forbid, feelings.

And why would he come to me? We were never close – not the slightest bit, as I recall. And why would my grief concern him?

This was not the first time Laurefindil felt embarrassed by the sudden trust of others. People were known to open their hearts to him, for they knew he could keep secrets, and he was a great listener. Laurefindil, on the other hand, found himself would not easily return such intimacy; and more often than not, he felt lonely amongst those who relied on him. Lómion was different, though – Lómion was someone Laurefindil did wish to know better, suddenly as the chance might have come.

The narrow wooden stairs were slippery with dew, and fresh morning scents reached Laurefindil's nose as he climbed. A guard rose from his post to greet him, and he greeted back.

“Is the Warden of the Gates on duty today?” he asked.

“Indeed,” came the answer, “and your presence might as well be required by his side, Captain. The Gate of Gold is to be opened this morn.”

And so Voronwë returns, Laurefindil thought, smiling inwardly. The stern, quiet mariner was one of the lucky few Ecthelion held close: distant as he sometimes seemed, he had a good heart, and most of all, he could be trusted.

He also held the rare privilege or leaving Ondolindë every few years, and bringing news.

Laurefindil left the guard-post, following the stairs as they winded up the hillside. The next entrance was crowned with an arch of stone, and more guards surrounded it. After an exchange of greetings, Laurefindil passed below the thin arch, now following a path incrusted with stones of gleaming yellow marble. His thoughts were drifting away again; he did not even notice the approaching figure until it bumped right into his chest.

“I – oh, I apologise, Lord Captain!” the newcomer exclaimed. He was a lanky youth with clever grey eyes, raven hair, and cheeks coloured by his sudden shame.

“Now, Lord Captain is indeed the most glorious title I have ever received,” Laurefindil grinned, watching the boy's face darken into a deep shade of crimson. “I might even say too much! Why the hurry, my bright young friend?”

“My Toronar sent to find you,” the boy said, “for his friend has returned from a long journey; and he sent forth a letter saying he had news for you as well.”

“Your Toronar?” Laurefindil grabbed the boy by the shoulder, and held him closer. “Are you – Valar, are you... but no, you cannot be...!”

“If by Valar, you mean Erestor of the Fountain, then yes I am,” the boy smirked. “I remember you, Captain Laurefindil! You used to carve me little toys and sing me songs, Ages ago.”

“Ages ago!” Laurefindil laughed. “Why, it seems like yesterday to me. Little Erestor, standing tall and proud in front of my eyes – strange indeed! But let us hurry; we do not want to disappoint Ecthelion, do we?”

They were heading to the gate, side by side, and Laurefindil kept his eyes on Erestor. His garments were blue and silver with the crest of his family upon the chest, but his boots were worn and a knife hang from his belt. He seemed to know his way around all too well.

“…what errand you have on this side of the golden Gate, if I may ask?”

“Mother sent me to the City and Toronar agreed to take me in,” said Erestor proudly, rocks crumbling under his feet as he led the way up to the third line of watch. “I have seen the Caragdûr, and the Hill of Watch, and the gardens, and the Fountains and the King's Tower – and Uncle said we would also enter some day!”

“Oh, we can enter even today, if that is your wish.” Laurefindil graced him with his brightest of smiles. “I will show you were I live. I still have my books, you know.”

“That would be wonderful!” The brief flash of a child's innocent bliss disappeared from Erestor's face as he added politely, “If you do not mind, that is.”

“If I did, I would never make the offer. But why did your mother send you here?”

Laurefindil wanted to know if his deductions were correct. Erestor, as many other children of the Gondolindrim, had been born in the Mountains, brought up in bastions and guard-posts, educated between two changes of the watch. His wits have always been quick; it seemed only too right to have him trained and taught the way his parents were.

“I must learn how to fight,” Erestor boasted, “or so Toronar said. I could content myself with following him, though. When I first came here, I marvelled at how everyone answered to him! He is far more powerful than I imagined.”

“Aren't we all?” Laurefindil winked at him. “But behold, young one, here we are!”

This time, there were no guards to greet; stepping onto a narrow, domy terrace, they found themselves face to face with the steadily pacing Lord Ecthelion. He was dressed in blue and silver as always, lustrous black hair flowing about him, and his glorious helmet rested on a chair in the nearest corner.

“You did not waste your time, Erestor nin!” he laughed. “You would not even let our Captain dress appropriately.”

“I am off duty today, you pouting peacock!” Larurefindil stepped forth to embrace his friend. “Not all of us take pleasure in plundering the armoury each morn. I was already on my way, if you must know, and young Erestor ran into me on his way – quite literally so. And what on Arda is the matter with my new tunic?”

“Now at second glance, squinting, it looks almost acceptable,” Ecthelion laughed. “Stressful night, was it?”

Laurefindil did not laugh with him.

“It was,” he admitted, taking a seat next to the balustrade. “I have news.”

Ecthelion sat next to his friend, his gaze suddenly very intent.

“News of what?”

“Outside,” Laurefindil whispered, and Ecthelion understood at once, old as their friendship was. He grabbed Laurefindil’s hand and gave it a squeeze.

“Something happened? Someone captured... tormented... dead...?”

Laurefindil nodded.

“Which one?”

“The last – and worst. Lómion came to me yesterday...”

As far as Laurefindil could remember, Ecthelion and Lómion had never been on good terms. Indeed, even now a slight frown would cloud his friend’s brows before he asked, “Who?”

“Findaráto.”

“Fin...,” Ecthelion’s face was stricken with grief. “No, that cannot be.”

“The King Findaráto of Nargothrond, you mean?” Young Erestor broke in. “Did you know him, Toronar?”

“I do... I did.” Ecthelion shook his head. “This is mad. This is utterly mad. Killed?! But why? How? And whom…?”

“I do not know,” said Laurefindil. “I did not have the composure to ask, and Lómion would have probably told me if there was anything else to know. No one truly knows anything, as I understand; not even the Eagles. All we hear are tales. Theories... rumours...”

“But that is not the reason why you are here today,” said Ecthelion slowly.

“It is not.”

Ecthelion drew a deep breath, and turned to Erestor.

“Climb downstairs, child and fetch us wine,” he said. “If you tarry enough to find the best, you get to taste it as well.”

“So you can discuss whatever you want in peace.” Erestor nodded.

“Subtle as always, you cheeky brat. Now off you go!”

But there was a smile on Ecthelion’s face as he uttered these words; and young Erestor whistled on his way down the stairs, in the unlordliest manner one could possibly imagine.

“You are fond of him,” said Laurefindil.

“Quite so. He is clever, you know. When I first brought him here, I wanted to have him trained as a guard like his father was; but I think I might rather take him with me to the next Great Council. He might prove useful against Counsellor Lómion when he grows. Counsellor! Lómion is, what, a century older than my little Erestor…? He never earned that title.”

“Do not search for enemies where there are none!” Laurefindil said. “Lómion is more than capable; and he has a caring heart. He proved that by the way he told me the news.”

“If you say so,” said Ecthelion, without the slightest conviction.

“He also mentioned that a Council shall be summoned soon, and the matter of the stolen Silmaril discussed in details.”

“The matter of what?!”

“Oh! I thought you knew.”

Ecthelion could only stare at his friend for a while, wide-eyed, before he found his voice.

“I would have flied to your quarters as soon as I heard such news. A Silmaril, stolen?! And you just sit there and blurt it out as if it happened every other day? A Silmaril?!”

“If this is news to you,” said Laurefindil, “then it will be news for everyone else in the Council as well...”

“…yet Lómion told you in advance. Why?”

“Because he trusts my judgement?”

“It is because he wants something from you, Fin. Beware!”

“And why would I be this suspicious about him?” Laurefindil sighed. “Lómion said it was the King’s personal wish that I should hear the news.”

“Why not me, then?!” Ecthelion pouted. “And what did he say exactly?”

Laurefindil did his best to recall everything Lómion said; and when Findaráto’s name sprang from his lips, sadness crept back to his voice in the way twilight creeps over the fields as the sun sets. “He told me Findaráto was slain. As simple as that. No details, no explanations. Only the fact.”

“Which means more than hearsay," Ecthelion picked up the thought. “It means that his body has been found.”

Laurefindil nodded.

“Ah, Findaráto,” Ecthelion sighed. “He was so bright and fearless. And truly, truly kind. Such a terrible loss.”

“The news of his passing saddened me as well,” Laurefindil said, “but now I also feel some kind of foreboding. As if Findaráto's death was the last step of something: the end of one road and the beginning of another. As if something had to... happen...”

“Happen?” A thin line of worry appeared between Ecthelion’s brows. “What do you mean?”

“I had a strange dream, and that is why I decided to come to you. I must tell someone.”

“And so if it was for the Captain of the Golden Flower, his best friend could die without knowing of the stolen Silmaril!” Ecthelion crossed his arms. “Thank you kindly!”

“I told you, I thought you already knew...”

“Then I would have come to you to discuss it!”

“Do you care about my dream at all?!”

Ecthelion rolled his eyes.

“You know that I do. I only wish to lighten your mood.”

“We have lost one of our closest friends,” Laurefindil reminded him.

“Well, Findaráto has not been quite that close lately, has he?” Ecthelion sighed. “I knew this would happen when we followed King Turukáno: our old companions were left behind, and there is no one now. No one, just you and I. You have me, and I have you; and nothing can change that.”

“Oh, stop it,” said Laurefindil, “or I might truly cry.”

“Then pray tell me about that dream.”

“It was very strange,” said Laurefindil. “I was here, just outside the Gates, and a strange voice spoke to me. All flowers shall wither, it said. There were no flowers to be seen, though, other than the sigil on the shield I was carrying. The crest of my House… All flowers shall wither, the voice said again, and I shivered. Night has fallen. Storm is coming, closing in, but the gates are closed. Will you open them? That is all the voice said; then, a faceless shadow came through the Gates, and disappeared in the night. And then I was awake; screaming, and covered in cold sweat. I don’t know why I was screaming, though, nor can I imagine why was I afraid of this dream. Told in words, it is not at all frightening.”

“Yet meaningful,” said Ecthelion. “The shadow is you, the voice is you, the warrior hiding behind the shield is you – everything is you in this dream. You are struggling with yourself. You want to do something about Findaráto, but you know as well as I that you cannot.”

“Maybe,” Laurefindil agreed. “Is there truly nothing we can do, though?”

“Fin, for Valar's sake!” Ecthelion cursed under his breath. “Must I remind you of the lawful punishment for having even uttered such words as a Captain of Guards? Matters of the outside world should not concern us. It was foolish enough that you spoke your mind to Counsellor Lómion. That treacherous bat!”

“Are you giving up on our friend so easily?”

“Findaráto is dead. We both know what dead means, Laurefindil... he is far away now, in a land no evil can reach. Let him rest in the Halls of Mandos and do not give in to treacherous thoughts. Let us hope that he died an honourable death and let us keep his memory: that is all we can do for him.”

Laurefindil did not answer.

“You are grief-stricken,” Ecthelion touched his chin lightly. “Why? I did not know you were close.”

“We were not,” said Laurefindil. “But Findaráto was kindness itself. Honour itself. And he... he represents something to me. How many others have been killed that we do not even know about? Yet we are sitting here, in the only remaining safe haven of our people, doing nothing: and they call you the Lord Warden and me the Captain!”

“Law is law,” Ecthelion said, “or have you forgotten?”

Laurefindil remembered all too well; but before he could answer, the sound of a horn cut through the fresh morning air.

Voronwë had come.


Chapter End Notes

Pocket Quenya

‘Toronar’ is my DIY Quenya reconstruction for “Uncle” (toron-en-atar, brother-of-father).

The Caragdûr (m.: ‘dark-spike’) is a black precipice of rock on the north side of Gondolin, rarely used for executions (Eöl was, for example, shoved down from there). The name itself is in Sindarin, and it appears in this form in all sources I have seen, which is why I kept it. An attempt at Quenya translation could be Morikirya (‘dark-teeth’ – ‘teeth’ here referring to ‘sharp rocks’.)

On Erestor's parentage

In this story, his father and Ecthelion were brothers. The brother in question was called Soronto (amilesse; m.: ‘eagle’). He was one of Gondolin’s Guardians from the first days of the city’s existence; he died outside the borders, during an Orc-ambush, when Erestor was still a small child, around ten or fifteen years old. Now, in the story, Erestor is only months away from his fiftieth begetting day, and thus his majority.

Sea-breeze

Anardil and his eloquently offensive manners are introduced, and Ecthelion makes a wager.

Read Sea-breeze

The Gate of Gold was sixth in line of the Great Gates in Ondolindë, yet first in beauty to Laurefindil's eyes. Stern and robust it stood: a relatively low, broad wall of yellow marble that spanned the lowering crests of the Orfalch Echor. Above its narrow entrance, a pyramid stood high and proud with the image of Laurelin, its flowers wrought of topaz in long clusters upon chains of gold. Paintings of Anor, the Sun inlaid the inner sides of the entrance, though seldom were they seen; and those who did glimpse them never saw them again, for such was the law of the Hidden City. Any well-willing Elf was accepted in the service of King Turukáno on condition that they would never leave the Valley of Tumladen again.

Sunlight danced upon the marble path before Laurefindil as he walked towards the Gate; but it paled next to the aura of magnificence that surrounded Ecthelion as he descended the stairs. Dressed in deep blue and gleaming silver, his shining helm upon his head, the Warden of the Gates came forth; and Laurefindil, who knew him well, could tell that he was more than pleased with himself.

A great lord he is, he thought, brave, valiant, honourable – and vain. He is here to see an old friend coming home from a tiresome journey; yet dressed up as he is, he could march forth to greet mighty Eönwë and the Lords of the West.

Of all the weaknesses one could have, though, Laurefindil believed that vanity was still tolerable. Ecthelion liked to seem terribly important – which he was –, and never denied it. He was also proud and sometimes scornful, even dangerous; yet also kind and fair.

A gust of wind rolled down from the mountains; it made the guards raise their rounded red shields, Ecthelion swallow a curse and Laurefindil tighten his borrowed cloak. The guardians of the Sixth Gate were clad in the colour of his House and so he took a spare from the armoury.

Am I truly less vain than him? Laurefindil mused as Ecthelion clicked the latch of the Gate. If he wanted to be entirely honest with himself, he did not take the cloak to keep himself warm, rather to hide his unusually casual attire. Now which one of them was the pouting peacock...?

Erestor appeared on his right side, peeking through the open Gate: a rare sight in the Orfalch Echor.

“Wine awaits on the table, m’lords,” he announced with mock pompousness. “The best I have found. Shall I have my reward, then?”

“You might.” Ecthelion smiled. “We will share all goods with our guest when he comes. You may not remember him, but he will know who you are; Voronwë is his name, and he is a kinsman of the King. He may seem distant, and sometimes cold, but never let that discourage you.”

“I will not,” said Erestor, but his voice did not sound convincing. Ecthelion drew a sharp breath, but then, the sound of horns echoed forcefully along the lowest range.

One, two, three, four calls flew over the Gate on the wings of wind; and both Captain and Warden stilled.

“Four blasts,” Ecthelion whispered.“Four blasts, Fin. You heard them.”

Laurefindil nodded.

“And that would mean... guests?” Erestor frowned. “I've never heard four blasts before.”

Laurefindil grabbed the hilt of his dagger, keeping his eyes on the road outside.

“Four blasts means newcomers,” he said in a low voice. “Outsiders. Voronwë must have brought strangers with him; though for what reason, I cannot guess.”

“Elves from outside the Orfalch?” Erestor exclaimed in wonder.

“Yes, child,” said Ecthelion, “which is why you will stay by Captain Laurefindil’s side while I ride forth to meet them. Fin, get the archers ready.”

Outside the first watch-line, Ecthelion was his superior; thus, Laurefindil nodded his agreement and climbed the stairs on the side of the wall to reach the parapet, dragging Erestor with him.

“Stay behind the pyramid,” he said. “You may peek through Laurelin's lowest branches if you know your way enough to climb, but stay out of sight.

“Yes, Laurefindil,” Erestor bowed.

“Promise me that you will do as I bid.”

“I promise.”

“Then look!” Laurefindil pointed.

A small group of soldiers approached the Gate along the yellow marble path. First came two guards with lances, then two others with longbows, then a pair of way-worn travellers and four more archers at the end of the line, their eyes watchful. All soldiers wore the uniforms of the Fifth Entrance, the Gate of Silver.

Laurefindil signalled at the archers; three hundred arrows seated on three hundred bended bows, and they waited.

“Who comes to the Gates of Ondolindë?” Ecthelion spoke up, his voice clear as jingling silver bells in the morning wind.

The newcomers closed in, and the wall of guards opened in front of the two hooded travellers.

“Here comes Voronwë Aranwion from the House of Ñolofinwë, with his friend, Anardil from the Household of Olwë under his protection,” the taller one exclaimed. “We have walked a long, perilous road and brought news for you and for the King.”

“Show your faces,” Ecthelion commanded. The soldiers stepped aside, and the newcomers threw their hoods back, opening their grey cloaks to show their garments underneath.

Voronwë was exactly as Laurefindil remembered him: tall, willowy and stark, and he moved with grace. His companion, Anardil was one of the Teleri, as his title suggested, but his shoulders were wider, his legs longer, his smile broader than what was common amongst the Sea-people; and his hair was an untamed forest, in the colour of gleaming silver.

“Stay,” Laurefindil said to Erestor. He left the parapet and ran down the stairs, almost jumping through the gate. The Teler lord had woken his interest.

“Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo, Voronwë, meldonya! I am most glad that you returned.” Ecthelion clasped Voronwë’s hands in his own. “And hail to thee! Be dearly welcome at the Sixth and Last Gate of Ondolindë, Anardil of the Falmari,” he then said, switching to his accent-dampened Sindarin. “Ecthelion I am, head of the House of the Fountain and Warden of the Gates. When thou follow’st our valiant kinsman, Voronwë, and ent’rest the first Gate, thou wert acquainted with the gravity of thy decision. Any son or daughter of the Eldalië is welcome in our City; the way in is open, but any way out is barred with sharp rock and iron. What brings thee to the Hidden City?”

“I did not enter the First Gate, my lord,” Anardil said. In his voice was a hidden strength that somehow reminded Laurefindil of the Sea itself. “Nor the second, nor the third, nor the fourth. The Eagles flew us to the Gate of Silver, for our journey was long and I am wounded. We were being followed, and the Eagles disappeared with us just in time.”

“Followed?”

Laurefindil could have imagined many smoother ways to join the conversation, but the damage was already done. Anardil raised his eyes to meet his; and Ecthelion was unable to hide his smile.

“Lord Anardil, I present to thee Laurefindil, head of the House of the Golden Flower, Captain of the King’s Guards and Marshal of the Armies – courteous and subtle, as ever. On top of the gate, thou mayst also notice my beloved nephew, Erestor, in the process of ruining King Turukáno’s favourite statue of the mighty Laurelin.”

Two slim hands and a pair of peeking grey eyes disappeared in an instant behind the golden pyramid; and Anardil smiled. He clasped the hand Ecthelion offered him, then bowed slightly in front of Laurefindil.

“Well met, Lord Warden and Captain of Guards,” he said.

“Well met, Lord Anardil,” Laurefindil echoed him. “I am grieved to hear that thou hast been wounded. Would riding be a nuisance to thee?”

“Riding? I believe I could try it,” Anardil raised an eyebrow, “but I cannot see any horses around. Can you even keep them alive in this icy mountain-land of yours?”

“Ai, we can,” Laurefindil laughed. “Lord Ecthelion and I still miss Nevrast at times, and verily. The meadows there were large and wide, and we would race our mighty stallions along them.”

“And even since our races here are much shorter, they have not ceased.” Ecthelion nodded. “We still have the sons of the sons of those stallions.”

Laurefindil sent off three guards for horses, then reached out to clasp Voronwë’s arm.

“My dear friend!” He said fondly, pulling the startled Noldo in an embrace. “How glad I am that thou hast returned!”

“You honour me, Laurefindil,” said Voronwë in his stern voice. “Yet it haunts me to see the shadow of turmoil and sadness in your eyes; and I hate to admit that the news we bring are not at all pleasant, either.”

“Who dareth hope for good tidings in these times of peril?” Laurefindil sighed. “I can only wish that your news are already known to us. I could not stand another pang of grief today.”

“That we shall see,” said Voronwë solemnly.

Anardil’s glance, on the other hand, was openly curious.

“I have been told that this City was an island of peace and prosperity, and that no harm could ever come to it. I have also been told that its beauty and grace matched that of Tirion in Aman, and that is a sight I long to see... How comes, then, that even the Lords of Ondolindë have friends to grieve?”

“That, Lord Anardil, is not a matter to be discussed this far out in the watch-lines,” Ecthelion said. “Follow us, and answers shall come to thee.”

* * *

By the time they settled beyond the Gate of Gold, Erestor was already serving them wine. He greeted the two travellers courteously, and smiled when Voronwë stared at him in wonder, asking if he still remembered him.

Laurefindil never ceased to watch Anardil from the corner of his eye, wondering how in Manwë’s name could he become friends with Voronwë. They could not have been more different: the only thing they shared was a distant gleam in their eyes, a privilege of those who sailed the Sea. Yet Anardil’s eyes themselves were nothing like Voronwë's, either: they were a fresh, bright shade of green, the like of which Laurefindil had never seen before.

“Come, take a seat,” Ecthelion called, and Laurefindil settled beside him. His eyes were still on Anardil, who stretched his long legs under the table. His shoulder was wounded, and badly: Laurefindil could see it now from the way he let his right arm hang loose.

“Good wine,” said the Teler suddenly. “Delicious.”

 “It came from thy people,” said Laurefindil, “with the last trade we could make before the Enemy attacked the North. Do you not recognise it?” He added experimentally. He had not spoken Sindarin in several hundred years, and it seemed that the use of pronouns had considerably simplified since then.

“Not all of us can sit around, sipping wine,” Anardil said. “I have forgotten what it tasted like.”

“Forgive my friend, Lord Laurefindil,” Voronwë broke in, glancing weightily at Anardil. “The pain in his shoulder is sharpening his tongue.”

“I meant no offense, Captain,” Anardil added with a slow nod, “I truly did forget it. The past few years... well, I have seen happier times in my life. Back in the years of peace, I was one of King Olwë’s household – one of importance, you may say. Then Fëanor came and claimed my ships along with the others. Those were all my wealth; and they were stolen and burned, my mother killed, my father drowned and our house put to flames. I lived near the shores...”

Anardil spoke without the smallest hint of anguish or indignation in his voice, as though they were merely talking about the weather. His eyes were hollow at first, but as he mentioned the loss of his family and beloved ships, deep wells of sadness opened within them.

“How comes, then, that thou dwellest not in fair Alqualondë still?” Ecthelion asked.

“I could not linger there singing laments for ever. I built a new ship and came to Beleriand, and here I shall remain. I have travelled far and I have seen much. I watch your proud kingdoms as they rise and fall, and I do not hate you Ñoldor... You are not the true Enemy, and we are kin. That is why I am here with my news. That is what you fail to take in those thick skulls of yours while you rant on and on about your endless grievances and strifes.”

“What have I told you about High Elves and courtesy?!” Voronwë exclaimed, but Ecthelion smiled; and Laurefindil knew that he felt the truth in these rough words as much as he did.

“No one can tell thee, Lord Anardil, that thou art reluctant to speak thy mind,” Ecthelion said. “The King shall like thee.”

“That is good to hear, Lord Warden,” said Anardil. “I never meant to offend you – or you, Captain, or you, young Lord Erestor.”

“Or me,” Voronwë broke in. “If that holds any interest to you, mellonamin.”

“I have already offended you enough times for you to learn not to take it in,” said Anardil. “Yet what I truly meant to say was – well, ever since the pits of hell opened below our lands in the Bragollach, I am afraid, my lords. Sindar, Nandor, Ñoldor, the few Teleri who still wander the shores, the mighty houses of Men... we are all leaderless, adrift, like dry leaves in the wind. And the Shadow is spreading, the Enemy is growing stronger. You have this city; King Fingon has Hithlum and his watchtowers; King Thingol and his Queen watch over the woodlands... you are all separated, and Dark creatures are starting to fill the holes between your lands. I am not skilled in warfare, nor am I familiar with the ways of the Ñoldor, but of one thing I am certain: something has to happen. Someone has to... do something.”

Laurefindil almost gasped as he heard his own words from less than an hour ago, echoed by this strange Elf who seemed to have come from the end of the world.

Here I have the proof that I was right.

“In the past year,” Anardil went on, somewhat reluctantly, “I have been held in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, the fortress of Sauron. My luck saved me from being dragged on to Angband, but my imprisonment was still filled with anguish, pain, humiliation and great fear. By the grace and mercy of the Valar, I got away, though I paid a great price for it... Also,” here, Anardil sighed heavily and glanced up to meet the others’ eyes, “I have ill news about one who – so I was told – had been a dear friend to both of you.”

“Findaráto,” the Captain and the Warden said in unison.

“Indeed,” said Voronwë, “but how could you possibly know about this?!”

“Theoretically, we cannot,” Ecthelion said, “and thou better forget that we mentioned it at all. Let us only say that Counsellor Lómion is friends with the Eagles; and apparently, Laurefindil is now friends with Counsellor Lómion.”

 “Now, when did that happen?” Voronwë exclaimed.

Laurefindil did not answer; his gaze remained fixed on Anardil’s face.

“What befell to Findaráto?” He asked softly. “What became his death?”

The Teler swallowed, and looked away.

“What happened, I ask thee!” Laurefindil persisted.

“His death was not... easy, my lord,” said Anardil. “If you do not mind, I shall... I shall provide a detailed description only if and when your King commands me to.”

“Tell us briefly, if you have to,” Laurefindil said, “I beg thee! How did he die?”

“He was bit... or rather: lacerated by a werewolf, my lord,” Anardil managed. “And I, along with other prisoners, was made to watch. Your friend fought fiercely, even though he had no weapon other than his nails and teeth. He killed the beast with his bare hands, and died shortly afterwards.”

Laurefindil swallowed. His imagination was nothing if not vivid...

“He died defending... a friend of his,”Anardil went on, drawing a deep breath. “And that friend was rescued, along with some of us, though he was heading elsewhere. I led south a group of refugees but an Orc band hunted us down a few days later. My companions were massacred to the last Elf… One of those filthy beasts wounded me between my blade-bones, then I got my shoulder cracked. All I remember from that hour is terrible, searing pain; I fell into the Sirion and grabbed hold of a piece of driftwood before fainting. I do not know how my enemies’ arrows avoided me. When I woke again, I was in a boat, and this strange elf, who turned out to be Voronwë, was tending to my wounds.”

“This will make an excellent song, Lord Anardil,” said young Erestor, a little bit too enthusiastically. “But who was King Findaráto’s friend?”

“I believe that is something to discuss solely with our King,” Ecthelion said when Anardil did not answer at once.

“Precisely,” said Voronwë. “That is why Anardil agreed to come with me: he believes that he could provide useful information for King Turukáno.”

“Tidings these days are more precious than gold.” Laurefindil nodded. “I marvel at your wit and valour, Lord Anardil! All prisoners fantasize about their escape, but very few of them accomplish the task.”

Anardil bowed. “If mere luck is a virtue, then I can accept your praise. Elsewise, there is none other than King Findaráto to be held in honour.”

“Still, I wonder how...” Ecthelion shook his head mildly. “But never thou mindest. We shall have our answers soon, and so shalt thou. Now tell me, how did your journey go? And who was following you?”

“The Orcs lost my track at the seashore, the half-wits.” Anardil grinned, and Laurefindil marvelled at the sudden change in his mood. “Voronwë was very subtle and evasive at the beginning, but eventually, I told him about my life and he told me about his, along with a few goblets of wine.”

“Bottles, unfortunately,” Voronwë remarked.

“You might already know him better than we do!” Laurefindil smiled. “And how were the seas?”

“Stormy – for me, at least,” said Voronwë. “I hardly saw the sun; the winds betrayed my crew and our ship swayed amongst the waves like a drunken soldier. We lost most of our provisions near Falas, and we arrived exhausted to the havens of Brithombar – several hundred miles south from our original destination, might I remind you. We are living in perilous times, my friends.”

“You are truly lucky to have this city!” Anardil nodded his agreement. “Peace and safety are blessings I have not known since my ships were stolen and burned.”

“Many of us feel that way, Lord Anardil, and not without reason,” Ecthelion said. “May ye both find rest within the walls of our City!”

“How kind of you, Lord Warden! But I do not intend to harness such gratitude.” Anardil smiled broadly at the silent, and suddenly very intent Ñoldor around him. “I am not a soldier, nor a guardian, nor a hero. I only wish to tell your King a few stories he might find interesting – and then I will be on my way! The Sea is my home, and your City, however fair and glorious, is foreign to me.”

“I have already told you that things were not as simple as that,” Voronwë said alarmingly.

“Law is law.” Ecthelion nodded. “I told thee as well, my lord – if thou comest in, there is no way out.”

“If I am not mistaken,” said the Teler with a smirk, “there is a King in this City. Now, according to the traditions of my humble people, Kings are chosen to rule their faithful Lords; even the Lord Wardens and Lord Voronwë-s – even Captains, mind you. And his decision may differ from yours. Are the ways of the Ñoldor any different when it comes to their Kings?”

“Courtesy, Anardil!” Voronwë snapped; but Ecthelion only laughed, Laurefindil watched the Teler in amazement and young Erestor stared at him wide-eyed. If Manwë himself had suddenly appeared from the empty air to take a seat at their table, their reaction probably would not have been any different.

“Well,” said Ecthelion, “brave Lord Anardil, if thou convincest our King to open his gates to thee, I swear I shall give thee my best chainmail as a parting gift. ‘Tis a bet.”

“Very well,” Anardil shook the hand that was offered to him. “And you, Lord Warden, shall ask any gift from me if I will not succeed. I cannot promise such a mighty one, but I am skilled in wood-carving. And singing, now that I think of it.”

“Well and done,” said Ecthelion. Laurefindil glanced at Voronwë, who shook his head in resignation; then he saw young Erestor grinning, a full goblet of wine in his hand. When he stared at him, the boy mouthed the word “Promised”, and Laurefindil gave in to utter defeat.

* * *

Later, their conversation turned towards lighter topics. Voronwë told them about his long journey North after losing his ship, and the yellow and blue flowers of Nevrast that Laurefindil missed so dearly; then Anardil told some of his own stories about strange lands and foist merchants. Then, the two mariners complained about the weather, the Orc-bands and the outlaws roaming across Beleriand.

Ecthelion and Laurefindil gladly joined this discussion, even though they had not seen Orcs for over a century.

“Things cannot go on as they are if we want to survive!” Voronwë sighed. “If only someone, anyone would gather the strength and courage to unite the wandering troops…! Once brave and honourable soldiers are becoming outlaws, once mighty Men are killing or begging for food... it is horrible to see them stoop so low; and the change is more visible each time I set out on a new journey. Since King Ñolofinwë has been killed...”

“Findekáno is worthy of him,” said Laurefindil. “Give him time, and his rule shall strengthen further than his father’s.”

“Let us hope for that,” Voronwë said gravely, “but I do have my doubts.”

“King Turukáno has an army of twenty thousand,” Ecthelion said. “He is the one thou seekest: the protector of us all.”

“But the Gates are closed,” Voronwë sighed. “And should they be opened any time, that will mean the end of us; because sooner or later, the Enemy shall find us and break our walls.”

Laurefindil sighed. All of them had tried to lighten the mood at some point of their discussion (save for young Erestor who merely stood in the shadows and listened, becoming slowly but steadily drunk), and yet they always came back to the same topic in both their words and their hearts: to the desperate desire of acting, of helping those in need. Somehow. Some way.

Yet the way was hidden.


Chapter End Notes

- Anardil is – quite obviously – not Tolkien’s Anardil, but an OC.

- Voronwë is canonically related to Ñolofinwë.

- ‘The Falmari’ is a name for the Teleri of Aman. [m.: wave-folk] It is deliberately left in Quenya, even though Ecthelion is trying to speak Sindarin.

- On archaic English: Ecthelion and Laurefindil speak an approximately 400 years older Sindarin than Anardil And Voronwe. I wanted to make it pompous and clumsy, which I believe it is.

The First Betrayal

A message comes to Himring from Menegroth.

Read The First Betrayal

Himring, FA 467, the first day of Víressë

Tyelcano held his arms tight against his chest as he walked, to keep a messy heap of parchments from falling. Gingerly, he placed his burden on his lord’s desk and unrolled the thickest scroll: it was a map.

Lord Maedhros’s fingers were drumming impatiently on the table.

“Have you sent the letters?” he asked.

“All, my lord, but the one for King Findekáno. That I restrained and rewrote, as was your wish.”

“Good. Read it out, will you...”

Tyelcano unfolded another scroll, one he had filled with different versions of the same, one-paragraph message, knowing his lord’s desire for perfection. He chose the last one – which he deemed the most evasive – and drew a breath to read it aloud… only to let it out in a flummoxed huff when someone knocked on the door.

Maedhros’s eyes meet his; and Tyelcano shook his head to answer the unspoken question. They had not been expecting anyone from inside (or outside) the fortress; and if something was amiss, the guards would have sounded the horns long ago. The watch on the borders had been doubled lately: every hand that could hold a sword was needed in service. Ever since the Bragollach had reduced the green, fertile plains of Ard-Galen to a desolation of ash, the people of Himlad slept little and less, their vigilance never ceasing.

“Enter,” said Maedhros sternly, and Tyelcano closed the scroll. A letter to the High King was a confidential matter: the less people knew about it, the better the odds. His effort, however, proved vain; it was the Captain of Guards, Tulcestelmo who appeared in the gap of the door.

“My Lord Maedhros,” he said in clumsy Sindarin (which was suspicious enough for the two Elves to rise from their seats). “A messenger came from the Halls of Menegroth; he brings you word from King Thingol.”

Maedhros’s eyes went wide. He rose, and Tyelcano saw the knuckles of his hand whiten as he gripped the edge of his desk. His own mind was racing as well. Thingol had not contacted any Son of Fëanor since the long-gone feast of Mereth Aderthad; he ignored Maedhros just as haughtily as Maedhros disregarded him. There was no friendship between Himring and Menegroth; yet nor was there enmity.

Until now, at least.

Could it be, Tyelcano thought hopefully, that Thingol finally saw reason, and he seeks our friendship? Could it be that he decided to return the Silmaril?

Nay; if he was honest with himself, neither of these options seemed by any means likely.

Lords change little, and Kings change less. There must be some other reason for the Woodelves to send us a messenger. But what could be that reason?

Luckily, however, he had little time to brood on possible misfortunes and disasters, for Lord Maedhros took a deep breath and pulled on the solemn mask he wore as Warden of the East.

“Let him enter,” he said, “and speak.”

The gap between the door-wings widened, and a lone Elf came forth, clad in the grey-green colours of Menegroth. His face was pale and austere, and the shadowy line of a scar ran through the side of his cheek. Tyelcano saw that it must have been long and painful to heal.

“Be welcome in my halls,” said Maedhros. His Sindarin was well-practiced, and despite its lingering taste of Quenya, it also seemed effortless. “I am Maedhros, son of Fëanor, Lord of Himlad and Warden of the East; and this is my counsellor, Tyelcano. Please enter and sit, for we much desire the message of your King to be delivered.”

“I greet you, Lord Warden, Lord Counsellor,” the messenger said. He bowed deeply before settling down in one of Maedhros’s wide armchairs. “Feredir is my name, and my King chose me to deliver grave tidings. First… Lord Warden, I inform you with regret that two dozen scouts bearing the crest of your House have been found dead near our borders, now not entirely six weeks ago.”

“In which colour they were clad in?” Tyelcano asked immediately.

“Unadorned black, Lord Counsellor, with the Star gleaming silver upon their chests.”

Carnistir’s men, then.

This was a piece of information, Tyelcano thought, and a precious one at that. Maedhros obviously followed his trail of thoughts, but he showed neither approval nor dismay; he simply sat, and listened.

“My King had long intended to send you a message,” Feredir went on, “but circumstances made it impossible to cross the borders of the Fenced Lands. It is only now that I am able to inform you that the previously pledged union between your and King Thingol’s Houses has proved a fruitless endeavour. My King offers to the House of Fëanor to lay the matter aside, and leave this attempt out of account if it comes to any further collaboration between our forces…”

“Excuse me?”

Maedhros’s face darkened.

“Would you care to elaborate? I cannot quite remember which one of my secret Sindarin lovers you are talking about.”

Tyelcano glanced at his lord, suddenly alarmed. Maedhros was, without any doubt, the wisest and the most considerate among the Sons of Fëanor, but Valar forbid, that was not saying much.

Feredir of Doriath, however, was a young Elf, and of better taste for jests than most of his kinsmen, as it seemed. He could not suppress a grin, which was quickly overtaken by astonishment.

“Could it be, then...” he managed, “that your lordship has yet to hear about the affair of the Lord Celegorm and our beloved Princess Lúthien?”

“Oh, Valar,” said Tyelcano, before he could restrain himself.

Maedhros leaned forward, the spark of amusement now overwhelming in his grey eyes.

“Please, do enlighten me.”

Feredir shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “Forgive me, Lord Maedhros, if my question is by any means too bold,” he said, “but... may I inquire exactly how much do you already know? Are you aware, for one, of the quest Princess Lúthien had pursued with a certain Beren, son of Barahir…?”

“I do know of the stolen Silmaril, if that is your question,” Maedhros said starkly, before Tyelcano could voice his displeasure, “and I know where it is. I also know that my brothers were banned from Nargothrond... and that Morgoth sleeps no more.”

Feredir blinked hard when he heard the Enemy’s name, but then his eyes widened.

“Is that... is that all, my lord?”

To Tyelcano’s overwhelming relief, Maedhros gave a curt nod. “Aye, that is all. Am I missing something?”

The messenger let out a stormy sigh, forgetting about his manners. “I have brought you a letter from my King,” he said wearily, “but if your knowledge of recent events is so scarce, Lord Warden, then I should perhaps tell you a few things before handing over the letter. I am grieved that it is me who should bring you these tidings, and not one of your kinsmen, as you would have deserved…”

“Please tell me you are not bringing me tidings of death,” said Maedhros.

“And yet I am, my lord.” Feredir bowed his head. “Please receive my King’s, my Queen’s and all my people’s deepest condolences. I say with terrible regret that your cousin, King Finrod Felagund of Nargothrond has been brutally murdered.”

Brutally murdered, Tyelcano thought.

Not “fell in battle”, or “perished”, or “missing” or even “killed”.

Brutally murdered.

If the Counsellor had previously suspected that something was amiss, then now he could be entirely sure.

“This is bad news indeed,” Maedhros said, his eyes distant. His shoulders tensed for a moment, as if struggling under some invisible weight. “It saddens me, and deeply, that Findaráto walks these lands no more. My heart weeps for his kindness; his wisdom and valour shall much be missed this side of the Sea… And yet I find solace in the thought that instead of being captured by the Enemy, he is at least with Mandos now, the chains of his hröa cast away. Morgoth cannot do him further harm and we, who are left in Endórë, must go on; for his sake as much as for ours. Tell me, Feredir of the Woods, who rules my cousin’s people now?”

“Orodreth, son of Angrod,” said the messenger, “and his realm is no longer in turmoil; his strength is rising, and his borders are being shut.”

“And why should the realm of Nargothrond be in turmoil?” Maedhros asked curiously, propping his chin up with two fingers. “Not exactly the word I would use for a land that weeps for its late ruler.”

“That, Lord Warden, is one of the things you must learn,” Feredir said. “It shall be a long tale.”

“In that case,” said Maedhros, “I will listen to it comfortably. You have come a long way, Feredir of Doriath, and I ask you for more tidings than you were ordered to give. The least I can do for you is making you forget the perils of the road. You must be hungry and worn out. Counsellor, please,” he said to Tyelcano, “bid a servant to bring us food and wine, and come back here as soon as you can. I want you to hear the tale as well.”

* * *

When Tyelcano returned, Feredir was seated at the same spot, facing Lord Maedhros at the other side of the wide desk. Lunch and wine were soon served; and Tyelcano loaded up his plate with soused meat, fresh leaves of lettuce dressed in saffron and herbs, and several dippers of richly seasoned mushroom-stew to ease the discomfort of their guest. He knew that Lord Maedhros was not very likely to eat properly, not while being this alert and curious. Then he took his place between his lord and the messenger, on the shorter side of the table, and listened.

His predictions came true: Maedhros’s appetite was reduced to a cup of soup, while the messenger – taking courage from Tyelcano’s pretense of voracity – stuffed his plate and drank his fill, unused as he probably was to dine in study-rooms.

Much later, when only a few flagons of wine remained on the table, Feredir leaned back in his chair, and began his tale.

“I do not even know how or where to begin, Lord Warden,” he admitted, taking a small sip from the chalice in his hands. “I believe that I must first dwell into the past, to reach the very roots of the most unfortunate events of times nigh...”

Tyelcano crossed his legs and closed his eyes. Despite the utter contentment of his stomach, his senses told him that he was not at all going to like what he was about to hear.

“When the terrible Flames struck from the North, a dozen years ago, my people were saved from the Enemy's wrath; but that never lessened our fear of his malice. We held our watch thrice as warily and vigilantly as before; and we despaired over every piece of news, peril after peril, death after death. All we could rely on was the vigilance of the Ñoldor in the North, and here in Himlad. Some deny this still, but I know it to be true… My people hoped that the Enemy would never find his way to Menegroth, or Nargothrond; and yet in the end, the shadow of evil reached them both. Our hearts soon grew hot in the face of peril; and many of us wished to take up arms and fight for your people and the Lords of Dorthonion. And yet our King – led by the wisdom of his long years, some say; or led by his distrust of the Ñoldor, say others – remained in his seat and denied our request.”

“And yet he did not remain idle. His mind – so it is said – oft wandered past the borders of his lands, and so did the searching glance of our Queen; that is how the presence of Beren, son of Barahir was overlooked. That is why he could wander our woods unseen, unconsidered; and that is how he laid his eyes upon our beloved Princess Lúthien. This Beren was bold enough to ask King Thingol for his daughter’s hand; and although the King refused him in anger and disbelief, Princess Lúthien herself was willing. And thus King Thingol set an impossible task upon Beren as a bride price: he asked him to steal a Silmaril from the Enemy’s crown to prove his worth.”

Tyelcano and Maedhros both nodded. This much was known to them.

“Beren was valiant enough to attempt the Quest,” Feredir went on. “Remembering the oath King Finrod Felagund had sworn to his father, he rode to Nargothrond and spoke to King Finrod, who remained true to his word, and offered him help.”

“...and that was the hour when the first complications arose with this glorious Quest,” Maedhros said with pride. “For no living creature, be they Eruhín or spawn of Moringotto, can keep a Silmaril for themselves, lest the wrath of the Seven Sons pursue them beyond the Circles of the World. Surely, everyone in Beleriand is aware of this. To take it lightly would be folly; to disregard it completely, as Felagund apparently did, borders insane. Surely, I cannot blame your King for his request, for using the parallel of a stolen Silmaril to describe impossible for this mortal Man; but I most certainly have great trouble understanding why my cousin would have envisaged, or even considered such a quest.”

“He was bound by his own words of honour, Lord Warden,” Feredir said. “Much like you are.”

A spark of some hidden fire flashed in Maedhros’s eyes.

“Aye,” he said, “how thoughtful of you to remind me.”

The messenger, slightly terrified, opened his mouth to form an apology; but the lord waved him off.

“Go on with your tale.”

“As you wish, Lord Warden,” Feredir complied, his voice slightly shaking.

Tyelcano frowned. The messenger seemed quiet, respectful, even shy in his own way; but he was clearly no coward. If he was this reluctant to go on, then something truly terrible must have happened.

“...when Beren’s request and King Finrod’s decision to help him were announced in the halls of Nargothrond, Lord Celegorm rose, and drew his blade; and he gave a stern remainder of the Oath he had sworn, naming the Silmarili as the rightful heritage of your House. And there was movement among his followers, silent glares and hands upon sword-hilts; for his powerful words made Beren’s quest seem not only bereft of reason, but also unwarranted. Then Lord Curufin spoke, and his words were much softer. He voiced his fear of King Finrod and his kinsmen being captured, dragged on to the mines of Angband, and the secrets of the realm drained from them by horrible torment. He spoke of death and ruin, of cruel flames invading the halls of Nargothrond. Thus, he put a great fear in every heart, and no-one wanted to follow King Finrod… Your brothers, Lord Warden, have most cruelly betrayed him; for even after he departed with Beren and the few faithful followers he had left, they searched to undermine the power of Orodreth, wishing to seize it for themselves.”

“Now that is some lunatic phantasm of you Moriquendi!” Maedhros sprang from his seat. “And a grievous insult!”

“My lord, please,” said Tyelcano, “let him speak. You may still have to accept that he has proof of what he is saying.”

“That is impossible,” said Maedhros icily. “They are my brothers – my own blood!”

“To steal a Silmaril from the Iron Crown was also impossible, my lord, until the day it happened. Let him speak!”

Feredir waited several seconds before continuing, probably wondering whether Maedhros was planning to behead him now, or only later.

“...and it happened thus, Lord Warden,” he continued at length, “that the City of Nargothrond was overwhelmed by turmoil and great fear. For the rule of Orodreth was faint and feeble, and your brothers were still supported by their followers. My King sent me to inquire about Beren’s dwelling in King Finrod's halls: that is how I saw the following events with my own eyes. I am aware, Lord Maedhros, that you are a warrior of great renown, and a good leader of your people; and it must grieve you to hear about your – certainly most beloved – brothers’ wrongdoings. But you have longed for the truth; and so the truth has come to you.”

Maedhros’s face was grim, expressionless. He gave a slow nod.

“Ignorance is a weakness. I have to know.”

“As you wish.” Feredir blinked. “One morning, your lord brothers rode out to the Taleth Dirnen to hunt, and took their hounds with them. And lo! When they returned, Lord Celegorm was carrying no game but Princess Lúthien upon his stallion; for she had run away from her father’s halls in despair, and chanced upon him and Lord Curufin, who promised her aid. I thought that your brothers would return Princess Lúthien to her father’s Halls; but I misjudged, for they locked her up instead. I was sent back to my King with word that Lord Celegorm wished to take the Princess as a wife, for he had fallen in love with her; and that he would not return her home until the request would be granted. And since your brothers’ followers were loud and many, Lord Orodreth could do nothing to lessen the harm their devious ways had caused.”

“So it happened that Princess Lúthien was imprisoned in Nargothrond. I was then away for a while, for many leagues lie between that city and my King’s halls. King Thingol was wrathful when he heard of Lord Celegorm’s request; yet still, there were voices, small voices within our realm that said ‘better her groom be a Lord of Ñoldor than Beren, a mortal Man’! But the King did not listen to such counsel; he sent me back with a small troop to reclaim the princess. He would have gone to war to have her back, if he had to; but that would have meant another Kinslaying, and he wanted to avoid that by all means.”

“The rest, Lord Warden, I know only from hearsay. It is said that Beren, King Finrod and their escort had been imprisoned in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, the once so proud fortress of your kinsmen in the West; and Sauron, the Enemy’s servant questioned and tormented them. Your cousin, my lord, was thrown in front of a werewolf, its claws and teeth crueller than steel and iron; and yet Felagund killed it with his bare hands, though died as well. It is also said that Princess Lúthien came, riding a mighty Hound; and she broke the doors of the fortress, setting the thralls of Sauron free. Many who once were prisoners had returned to Nargothrond, and its turmoil deepened; for people complained that lo! an Elf-maid had dared to accomplish deeds that the Seven Sons would not.”

“There was no mirth on Lord Celegorm’s face when he heard that the Princess was safe; and thus, the folk of Nargothrond understood that everything he and Lord Curufin did, they did it to seize power and kingship. Thus, they understood that your brothers cared for nothing and no one, but their Oath... Their followers were enraged, roused against the ones they had served for so long; and they wanted to have their blood spilled! Blades were drawn, curses were shouted, the shadow of Evil descended upon the city.”

“And that was when I came back. I saw your brothers, my lord, surrounded by their own kinsmen, who, raging, demanded their deaths. I saw fires lit in the mass, and daggers drawn; and I heard many shouting ‘Death to cravens! Death to traitors!’. Yet Lord Orodreth refused to have your brothers killed; for he knew that such a deed would only bring more evil upon all of us, Quendi. And he banished your brothers from Nargothrond, promising that there would never again be friendship between him and any Son of Fëanor. Thus, your two brothers rode away, followed by no more than Huan, the giant grey hound…”

“Followed by no more?” Tyelcano’s voice was harsh. “How is that possible? Lord Curufin has a son... a daughter...”

“No one followed them, Lord Counsellor.” Feredir shook his head. “And that was for the best. Later, as I have heard, they chanced upon Beren and Lúthien, and it came to the swords; and that affair is said to have had a nasty ending.”

“Do you know anything about Lord Curufin’s children?” Tyelcano pressed.

“I know that Master Celebrimbor is well loved in the City of Nargothrond. But I never met him or his sister; I have no tidings of them to give.”

“Very well,” Maedhros said suddenly. “I am beginning to understand things.”

“Are you, Lord Warden?” Feredir sighed sadly. “As for my humble self, I seem to understand them less and less.”

“Hand me the letter of your King. That may answer a few questions.”

“As you wish,” said the messenger. He placed a thin scroll of parchment into Maedhros’s welcoming hand, who broke the seal with an agile snap of his fingers and weighed an empty candle-holder on the upper edge of the parchment to be able to unwrap it. Tyelcano knew better than to offer him help; and he glimpsed a spark of approval in Feredir’s dark eyes.

The letter was merely a few paragraphs long: Tyelcano could see it from the corner of his eye. The handwriting was neat and the letters small; they spoke of collectedness and unrelenting precision. Only King Thingol’s ceremonious signature stood out from the soldierly order of his message.

The letter is short, Tyelcano decided. And yet his lord sat above it for what seemed like hours, his face frozen, as if Time itself had stopped and all Beleriand’s kingdoms had all turned to dust.

Eventually, however, Maedhros moved. He leaned back in his chair and put the candle-holder aside so the parchment could wrap itself again on the desk.

Then, he smiled; which was only slightly less terrifying than his wrath.

“Feredir of the Woods,” he said, “you have done me a great service, and for that I am thankful. Bear me no ill will if my words have, at times, wandered past the borders of being kind, or even courteous. You may depart immediately if you so desire; but you are very welcome to spend here a few days as my guest, and regain your strength.”

“Thank you, lord Warden.” Feredir bowed. “What response shall I bring home to my King?”

Tyelcano resisted the temptation to take Thingol’s letter from the table, for he already saw the shade of resolution in his lord’s grey eyes. Maedhros’s decision was already made, and without his consent; but that was not by any means a novelty.

Why was he suddenly so uneasy about this…?

“Tell Elwe Singollo that I might consider his offer,” said Lord Maedhros, his voice harder than steel. “I shall send him messengers in a year. Tell him to open his vast treasuries and hand the Silmaril to my envoys. Tell him to give back what is mine and my brothers’ – and then the two of us may converse about friendship, justice and good will. I have spoken.”

“Indeed you have, Lord Warden,” said Feredir. “I shall bring your word to my King. And I – I thank you once more for your hospitality.”

A servant opened the door before him, and he left the room in haste.

* * *

“Come here, Counsellor,” said Maedhros when they were alone. “I need you to have a look at this letter.”

“You seem to have made your decision easily enough without my insight,” said Tyelcano.

“I did what was right. It was most unpleasant, as right things so often are; and I wanted to get it over with.” Maedhros took a deep breath. “Please, take this.”

Thunderstruck upon hearing please, Tyelcano took the letter and read.

 

To Maedhros, son of Fëanor, Lord of the Himring and Warden of the East,

Elu Thingol, Lord of the Sindar, King of Doriath and Protector of the Woodland Realm sends his kind regards

Your lordship,

I turn to thee in an hour of dire need, for my heart is weary. The shadow of the Enemy grows, and of late, it seems to have winded its way through the borders of our realms. It is with great sorrow and concern that I think of the heavy losses your kinsmen have suffered of late.

I inform you with great displeasure that your two brothers, lords Celegorm and Curufin have kidnapped my daughter, and refused to return her home unless I grant Lord Celegorm her hand. I did not expect such irreverence from the proud Ñoldor; and by the laws and customs of my realm, I must thus deny any future union between our Houses.

Should they come to Doriath again, your lord brothers shall have to stand trial. In such a case, they shall be treated with care and granted fair judgement, as would any other who stands by the throne of the Woodland King.

Lord Maedhros, you are a wise leader of your people. In times as perilous as these, you could ill afford to gain yet another enemy; and we in Doriath are also weary of death and peril. Should you do justice against the captors of my daughter, I offer you my friendship, my good will and any help I can give thee in the hour of need.

With regards for you, your brother Maglor and all your vigilant people in the East,

King Elu Thingol

Written on the last day of Nínui, in the Halls of Menegroth

 

The room seemed to suddenly grow cold. Tyelcano clutched the parchment helplessly, almost afraid to meet his lord’s eyes.

“To do justice? Do you have any idea, what that means, my lord...?”

Maedhros closed his eyes. The stern mask of the Warden of the East slipped from his face for a moment, and Tyelcano saw how tired he truly was.

“I know exactly what that means, or I would not have been so swift to wager my own brothers’ lives and freedom upon my choice,” he said. “Yet… by the Valar, my brothers indeed deserve punishment for what they have done to Artaresto and Findaráto! Kind, gentle Findaráto...” Maedhros’s voice faltered.

Tyelcano cautiously removed a tress of auburn hair that winded its way through the lord’s forehead.

“I understand little and less of whatever happened here,” he confessed. “And what of Lord Carnistir’s slaughtered scouts...? What happened to Tyelperinquar and Erenis...? So many riddles... so many unlikely coincidences...”

“All is veiled by the shadow of Moringotto,” said Maedhros. “I know his malice when I see it. Thingol should have never wished for the Silmarili; behold the peril it brought upon his head! And I must have the Jewels back, for so I have sworn. Some may call Findaráto a fool for keeping his Oath; yet Feredir was right to say that his promise had bound him. But that is not what troubles me the most. What evil sorcery of Moringotto’s could have wormed its way into my own brothers’ hearts...? I have to find them, Counsellor. I shall have no rest until I learn what happened!”

“You already know what happened, my lord,” said Tyelcano cautiously.

“I want to hear it from them. There should be some means of explanation. If the Enemy is now corrupting the very hearts of Quendi...” Maedhros shook his head.

“The Black Hand would not reach that far,” said Tyelcano, with conviction. “Not yet.”

“Sometimes,” said Maedhros at length, “thralls are released from Angamando and sent back home, to bear testimony of Moringotto’s power. They believe that by their escape, they had also triumphed over the willpower of the Enemy; and yet all their words, all their thoughts are still driven by the Shadow. They are the greatest danger one could ever face; and if my brothers are by any means exposed to such danger, it is my duty to drive the Darkness out of their hearts.”

“Is such a thing possible?” Tyelcano asked quietly.

“Everything is possible,” said Maedhros, his eyes two distant, silver stars. “I am here, after all, am I not?”

Tyelcano smiled despite himself. “You are.”

“Now go. I need to clean my head; and you do not have my permission to brood over things we cannot change.”

“What of your letter for the High King?”

“Later,” said Maedhros grimly. “I have had quite enough of letters for today.”


Chapter End Notes

Feredir is an OC, his name means ‘Hunter’ in Sindarin.

Nínui is Sindarin for ‘February’.

Víressë is Quenya for ‘April’.

Artaresto is Quenya for Orodreth.

The Silmarillion, Chapter XIX, ‘Of Beren and Lúthien’: “But Thingol learned that Lúthien had journeyed far from Doriath, for messages came secretly from Celegorm (…) that Lúthien was in Nargothrond, and that Celegorm would wed her. Then Thingol was wrathful, and he sent forth spies, thinking to make war upon Nargothrond; and thus he learned that Lúthien was again fled, and that Celegorm and Curufin were driven from Nargothrond. Then his counsel was in doubt, for he had not the strength to assail the seven sons of Fëanor; but he sent messengers to Himring to summon their aid in seeking for Lúthien (...). But in the north of his realm his messengers met with a peril sudden and unlooked for: the onslaught of Carcharoth, the Wolf of Angband. (...)Alone of the messengers Mablung, chief captain of the King, escaped, and he brought the dread tidings to Thingol.” – I assume that in the end, no messenger came to the Himring, and Maedhros knows nothing.

Crossroads

It is quite uncommandable to attack a son of Feanor, especially if other sons of Feanor happen to be nearby.

An Orc band learns that the hard way.

Read Crossroads

“We shall not lay hands upon them!” Artaresto said. His voice rang far above the raging mass, above lances and swords and daggers. “We shall not! For despite their malice and treachery, they are still our kin. Have your forgotten the Curse of Mandos? Such a deed would bind it more closely upon us all. I will not have the blood of my kin spilled! Let them go. But bread and shelter I shall grant them no more, and there will be little love between Nargothrond and the Sons of Fëanor thereafter: this I swear. You have seen me and heard my words.”

“Let it be so!” Tyelkormo said, and laughed; and he, Curufinwë...

He said nothing.

He stood there, thunder in his eyes, hatred in his guts, and smiled.

Let it be so!

When he went to gather his belongings, he saw Tyelperinquar and Erenis. They were standing in the shadows, holding hands, watching him.

Curufinwë paid no heed to his children, and tightened the straps on his bundle.

Everything was in order.

(No, in fact, nothing was in order, but the façade of precision and collectedness would be much needed on his journey north, he knew).

“What are you staring at?” He said. “Move! We need to leave before the sun goes down – the mercy of my good cousin might not prove as extensive as he claims.”

“I am not going with you, Atar,” said Tyelperinquar.

“You were saying...?”

“I am not going with you,” Tyelperinquar repeated patiently. “I came to love Nargothrond and its people.”

“And so did I,” said Erenis, her voice like iron.

And Curufinwë laughed.

“Look at you, my dears! Putting our feet down, are we…? Now pray tell: why would Artaresto let you stay here, offsprings of traitors and kinslayers?”

“Because we are loved for who we are, and not for who you should have been,” Tyelperinquar said, without fear or remorse. “And because we do not wish to stoop so low as you did, Father. We did not swear your Oath, and we are not your servants. It is pity enough that our paths should fall asunder in such a bitter way.”

“It is,” said Curufinwë. “So Master Tyelperinquar is allowed to stay, I imagine; for his talent is much needed here. Master Tyelperinquar now feels powerful enough to discard his father. That much is clear… But what of Lady Erenis?” He tilted his head. “Lady Erenis who cannot even lift a hammer or shoe a horse, ungifted as she is…? Surely, my sweet daughter, you have nothing to offer Lord Artaresto – or am I wrong?”

He swallowed the bitter taste of guilt when he saw the confusion, the hurt and the unshed tears in her daughter’s eyes; but then Erenis rose and she eyed him, brave, unbroken.

“If you think so little of me, Father,” she said icily, “then why would you mind if I stayed here? Useless Lady Erenis could not even light you a fire on your journey to the Hells of Moringotto, could she…? If you think you stand above the laws of the Eldar and the mercy of the Valar, then take another wife and sire children who match your needs! Fare well!”

She slammed the door behind herself; and unconsciously, Curufinwë raised his hand as if he could have hoped to stop her.

“Fell and fey are you become, Atar,” Tyelperinquar said, and Curufinwë’s eyes widened at such boldness. “Fare well, and look for us no more! Forget the children you treated like tools and livestock for all your years in Nargothrond. I still hope against hope that one day, the Father we have lost shall return. Then we may speak again.”

* * *

The March of Maedhros, FA 467, the first day of Víressë

The roots were pale, less in width than his thumb and grungy with sour-smelling dirt. It took Curufinwë a good hour’s walk to collect them; and by the time he found anything edible, the mud of yestereve’s rain reached up his sleeves.

A year ago, he would have been disgusted by his worn-out state: weather tattered his cloak, filth scuffed his boots and the better part of his garments were either torn, shredded rags or serving as bandages to cover the wounds he’d had on the road. Life out in the wilderness was hard; and he, Curufinwë, son of Fëanáro was as much at the mercy of good fortune and nature as anyone else.

Indeed, nature itself was perhaps the only thing that would still show any means of favour towards him.

Curufinwë sighed, and turned his long strides downhill again. Roots were all he could hope for until they would come upon an abandoned settlement, a hastily left camp, a corpse, or any other possible source of arrows. Devoid of steel and too wary to light even the smallest of fires, he could not hope to make any arrowheads himself.

He counted two hundred and fifty steps as he made his descent amongst dogwood and burberry bushes. At the bottom of the valley, he picked some berries off a slim buckthorn. He knew that their taste would soon turn sour, and their effect was less than pleasant; but should he or his brother need to wash some kind of poison or disease out of their bodies, the wicked berries could prove more than useful. The dark, grim woodlands of what had once been Dorthonion – where they would soon be heading to – were not likely to grow such treasures.

Fifteen pair of roots, a pocket full of rose-hips, another pocket full of mushrooms and a handful of berries, Curufinwë counted. It was little enough, but more than nothing.

Then he reached a wide meadow, crowned with a carpet of tiny white flowers. The hills of Himlad were paled by morning fog, the stillness of the landscape interrupted only once in a while by the glide of thrushes and a lone magpie, buzzing back and forth about their business above the clearing. Far above and further ahead, Curufinwë could see Anor in a halo of pinkish-yellow clouds, rising above the blackened wastelands of Anfauglith.

And further still... no, he would not think of that. He would not give in to despair.

I am a hunter of the woods, an outlaw, a wanderer. All I have is the present: the Now. For me, there is no ‘when’; there is only ‘if’.

That was what Curufinwë kept telling himself since Nargothrond. No smiles or tears disturbed his mind; not even a flicker of pride. He had to go on, to survive: to live another day, and yet another.

He did not know why, for there was no such thing as why. He ate, he drank, he slept, he breathed, he placed one leg in front of the other as he strode, following his brother. This state of silence and denial could not go on for ever, he knew; but while he walked the woods, meadows, hills, and rivers, while his mind was set on hunting down a hart or finding new ways to catch fish, even the endless torment of his Oath seemed bearable.

He could, in fact, link one engagement to the other. It was only natural that he needed to eat, so one day, he could fulfil his Oath. He needed to walk “another mile”, then “just another”, for eventually, that would bring him closer to his final destination. Each day, he wowed that he would head to Himring at last, admit his deeds, and seek help; yet he never did. There was still something in the depths of his fëa that restrained him.

And then, of course, there was Tyelkormo – a shell, a shadow of his former self. Hopeless, loveless, horseless, Huan-less Tyelkormo.

Another thing that made Curufinwë go on was that he had to drag Tyelkormo with him, further and further on the road. Since Nargothrond, their communication was reduced to the expression of hunger, thirst, cold and fatigue; or now and then a sign of game in the woods. Perhaps that was the worst of it all: the lack of communication. Lack of companionship. The maddening silence of the woodlands. The Orc-bands hunting for them.

It was not getting any better – it was getting worse, and swiftly.

Curufinwë followed the narrowing edge of the meadow, now uphill again. He and his brother had made camp on a wide plain in a sea of grass, deepened and thickened by rainfalls of late. In the middle of the verdure, a small cluster of trees stood proud against the pale blue sky: it was under these trees that Tyelkormo and Curufinwë had settled for a day, and perhaps another. Their beds of moss and fallen leaves were more welcoming than most of the resting places they had encountered on their journey. Now that they had no horses or companions, a couple of unburdened trees were the best shelter they could hope for. In fact, if news in Beleriand travelled as fast as fair Lúthien upon Huan the Hound, it might as well prove the best they would find for all their days left in Endórë...

On the edge of the forest belt that separated the blossoming meadow and the great green plain, Curufinwë halted, uneasiness taking over him. The earth whispered news, ones he had been dreading ever since they came to Himlad.

Curufinwë knelt, and listened. The steps echoed uncertainly beyond the never-ending lament of a soil once drenched with blood; their song was faint and distant, but he, who had spent long years hunting and travelling, could not mistake it for anything else.

Riders were coming, and with great haste. Not that Curufinwë was surprised; the lands were leached with rain, and reeking with mud. All it took was a lone footprint, forgotten and left behind.

They had been discovered; and the hunters became the hunted.

* * *

When he reached the shelter, Tyelkormo was already gathering his affairs, preparing to hit the road; and Curufinwë found it relieving to see the sparkle of life lit in his eyes again.

“Have you heard what the earth sings?” Tyelkormo asked; and despite everything, Curufinwë had to smile at the poetic expression, probably picked up from Oromë himself.

This was also the longest sentence his brother had spoken to him in the last three days.

“We must make haste, or we shall be found soon. A troop of riders, if I am not mistaken...”

“Aye. But there is no glory in the sound of their hoofs, nor the surety of the hunter who caught the smell of game. They are fleeing, Curvo, just like you and I, and terror is in their heels. Orcs are growing bold in these mountains; my heart tells me they were outnumbered, and forced to retire.”

“Nelyo’s scouts fleeing from Orcs?” Curufinwë shook his head. “Never!”

“The days of the Siege are gone.” Tyelkormo stood with grace. “Moringotto won the last battle, and our forces are scattered. Orcs might roam these lands for all we know, and if they do, then we are in even greater peril than the riders. What weaponry do we have?”

“You have your bow and three arrows,” Curufinwë counted, “a knife, and a broken lance.”

“And you, Curvo?”

“Nothing.”

“Which means?”

“Which means that we have to run for our lives, and now!” Curufinwë snapped. “I hate the thought of it; but every minute of waiting and pondering is a waste of precious time!”

Even as he spoke, he knew it was in vain; for where could they have run? North, into the open arms of the Enemy? East, where the Shadow still lingered? South, where their current peril was coming from? Or West, through open plains and grey-green wastelands, revealed to all eyes within leagues?

There was nowhere to run, and this circle of trees was no place to hide. All they could do was stay, and face whatever may come.

“Here,” said Tyelkormo, “have my knife. It is sharper than roots or stones.”

* * *

To Curufinwë’s chagrin, Anor was veiled by clouds within the hour. Cumbrous silence fell on the hills around them; the birds and beasts were now silent, and the promise of rain hung heavily in the air. Unwilling to delay the inevitable, the brothers gathered their poor belongings and even poorer provisions together, and climbed the nearest hillside.

Mud, dew and filthy gravel filtered into Curufinwë’s left boot across some new hole as he climbed the last few rocks, following his brother. Now it was Tyelkormo who persisted, who dragged him along. When they reached the top, Curufinwë saw that his brother’s instincts were trustworthy: the scranky juniper bushes that covered the southern slope were shelter enough to hide them. Luckily, the wind had also turned North, which meant that their foes were less likely to catch their scent; and even if by some mischance, they were noticed, the hill-top was an easy place to shoot from.

If one had more arrows than just three, that is.

The faint but steady thud of feet was growing closer; and Curufinwë stopped listening. Whatever was coming, he was no longer in charge: he had to endure whatever the Powers had arranged for the day.

Soon, the brothers could hear the noise of approaching battle. Horses were trotting, neighing, snorting. Swift, agile feet were hitting the ground, again and again, as the scouts were losing terrain. Blades sang, people screamed, fire roared. The grunts of Orcs and the bubbling of their black blood were heard much less often than they would have liked; their kinsmen out there were losing the battle, and swiftly.

Tyelkormo lay under the bushes upon his stomach, letting his head fall on the ground. Curufinwë could not decide if he was cold, weeping, or his shoulders were simply shaking with rage. His own blood was boiling as well; but what could they do? If they wasted their last three arrows, what would they eat next day? They could not live on turnips for ever. And if they were to join the fight... what weapon would they use? Tyelkormo’s lone knife? The splinters of his broken lance? Their nails and teeth?

“Angrist, my friend, I miss you most grievously,” Curufinwë lamented, damning the day their paths crossed with Lúthien; and the day King Thingol had voiced his want of their heritage.

So many evil could have been avoided that day. Does he not know that the Silmarili are ours, only ours, and we shall have to kill anyone who is after it? What right has he, the King of the Moriquendi, to keep any of our treasures?!

But King Thingol is cunning and wary: far more attentive than your Father was, and your Grandfather before him, Curufinwë thought as the battle cries were creeping closer. Did he not see the light of Aman as Finwë did? Did he not walk among the Valar, did he not stand before Manwë as well? Yet he was clever enough to say no and stay where he belonged, stay in the ancient lands of the Quendi. The Valar showed the Quendi their crafts and lore, yes, but they also chained their minds. Your Father broke those chains, but he could not bring freedom to the Ñoldor. Even he, even your Father failed. Yet how could one bring freedom if he was a thrall in all his life?

Curufinwë stood, his tall figure clearly visible among the bushes, barely aware of how his shoulders were shaking. Where were these thoughts coming from? To say that the Valar held the Quendi in chains was saying that Moringotto’s deeds were righteous, and he would have deserved to rule Aman instead of Manwë and Varda.

He could not say that. No, he simply could not say that.

But what was wrong with keeping an Oath? Was there no redemption after Alqualondë, that terrible night on the shores that still made his skin crawl? Would he ever find rest, or would any of his brothers?

“Curvo!” Tyelkormo’s voice slipped unpleasantly into his consciousness. “Back down! They are going to see you!”

His hands tightened into fists.

“Curvo! They’re coming!”

Curufinwë was dragged down amongst the thicket, his eyes wet.

“I am not evil, Tyelko,” he said wretchedly. “Tell me I am not.”

“Is that the last thing you want to hear before we die?” His brother squinted. “I pray you ask Námo instead. I know you enough to tell what a wicked little gnome you are.”

Curufinwe’s laughter tasted as bitter as his tears; but it was still laughter, and laughter meant hope. He grabbed Tyelkormo’s knife in his belt, and listened.

The uproar of Orcs was almost unbearable, and Curufinwë could hear the thud of a body thrown on the ground, along with the clatter of armour and the cling of a sword, knocked out of the hand that had wielded it. Then, he heard the sound of fists and boots, kicking and banging into soft flesh. It seemed that the Orcs had triumphed, and now they were about to enjoy the company of their prisoners.

Tyelkormo crawled forward. “Ten...,” he breathed, “fifteen... twenty... thirty...”

Curufinwë swallowed. He had hoped for twenty or less.

“...forty-five, Curvo. They must have been a hundred or more. I see plenty of corpses, and more black blood than red.”

“Any chance to flee?” Curufinwë whispered.

“Perhaps. Whatever we do, we have to do it quickly. I say we take the nearest path south, and run straight to Himring. Unarmed as we are, the only help we can offer is to warn Nelyo as fast as we can.”

Curufinwë pondered that for a second. He hated the thought of abandoning any of their kinsmen to the Orcs’ mercy, but another crack on the shield of his pride was definitely worth some lives. Not even his Atar, or his uncle Ñolofinwë would have been able to face forty Orcs at the same time, armed with no more than a small hunting knife.

His reluctance to enter Himring, his self-pity, his dark broodings on the Valar and the lack of their mercy – everything was forgotten at once as Curufinwë began his slow, wary descent from the hill, followed closely by Tyelkormo.

At the other side of the tumult of earth and rock, the Orcs were revelling loudly in their prisoners. Curufinwë could hear the hiss of a whip every other second, and there were cries of pain and dismay.

And one of the voices seemed – familiar?

A handful of gravel and small rocks crackled under Curufinwë’s feet, and for a moment, he was on the verge of sliding downhill. He grabbed a ledge on the cliff, his entire weight placed on his fingers. His arms were going numb, and he muttered a few colourful curses as Tyelkormo pulled him onto more secure terrain.

“Watch out!” He said. “We cannot fight with one hand if they see us.”

“Don’t say that if we make it to Nelyo,” Curufinwë muttered. Tyelkormo said nothing, but there was a sparkle of mirth in his eyes as his feet searched for the next cove.

They reached the critical point of their descent; they had to cross a spot where the veil of verdure would not hide them. Tyelkormo climbed forward, for his feet were steadier; and Curufinwë thought that he was a fearsome sight, even covered in old rags, even with his longbow hanging uselessly from his shoulder. While his brother was searching for the safest route, Curufinwë kept his attention on their enemies below.

Even if his previous mistake had been noticed, the Orcs gave no sign of it, so enraptured they were in the pleasure of having captured four Elves at once. Three of them were bound and made to stand by a fire the Orcs had lit; and the fourth one was most viciously played with.

His armour cast away, the prisoner lay on the blood-soaked ground in no more than a thin undershirt and a pair of tattered trousers. A strong Orc was standing above him, flinging his whip again and again, terrible blows thundering upon the prisoner’s back. The others were shouting at him in their hideous, guttural language; and Curufinwë did not have to understand their speech to recognise the insults.

One of the prisoners was tugging violently on his ropes, red wounds and bruises opening on his shoulders, arms and wrists. One of the smaller Orcs shouted something, and spat at him. The rest laughed, then the tortured Elf was turned on his back, and the whip lashed straight upon his face and chest. The prisoners shrieked, but the tall, lean creature on the ground endured the blow in silence.

Another cruel snap, another dreadful blow. Another kick on the purplish shoulders and hips. The Elf’s head waned aside as he passed out, and a trail of bright blood sprang from his nose. It was about to drown him soon if he remained unconscious, Curufinwë knew.

Both he and Tyelkormo stared at the pale, lifeless face in silence. Suddenly, their duty was forgotten. Their errand was forgotten. Reality was forgotten.

Curufinwë felt sick. Terribly sick.

Then some terrified part of his awareness reminded him that he was staring into the haggard, barely recognisable face of Makalaurë.

“GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF MY BROTHER, YOU WITLESS SPAWN OF MORINGOTTO!” Tyelkormo bellowed. As he emerged from the verdure, entirely and wondrously enraged, Curufinwë thought he must have been as terrible to an Orc’s eyes as a furious Vala in the fullness of his strength would be to some unlucky Elf.

His next thought was that they were about to make a terrible mistake. Tyelkormo was storming relentlessly downhill, his feet barely even touching the ground. One of their three precious arrows was already in his hand, ready to touch the string. The Orc who had tormented their brother was truly and entirely doomed – but so were they.

Unless...

Curufinwë pulled his brother’s hunting knife from its sheathe and went on his own way. Thick roots and a slick carpet of fallen leaves protested soundlessly as he raced downhill, supporting himself here and there by grabbing hold of the dew-dampened rocks.

He heard the hiss of an arrow flying through the air, and there was a cry of dismay as it hit target. As Curufinwë broke forth from amongst the trees, he saw that his brother was about to crash furiously in a line of fully armed Orcs. The whip of the torturer was in his hands now, lashing frightfully from one side to the other, reaching faces, arms, chests and legs alike.

Curufinwë marvelled at the impossible chance they have had: most of the archers were killed and their arrows scattered. Still, he had to break a handful of bows on his way towards the captives; and overcoming their initial shock, a dozen Orcs were now heading at him, grabbing their blades and gritting their teeth. One against a dozen seemed considerably better than two against forty-five; but Curufinwë still felt the wave of wariness taking over him. He pulled a scimitar from the chest of a dead Elven scout, and slammed into the wall of enemies.

The first head fell without protest, the mouth vomiting black blood. Curufinwë slammed the still twitching body into his next enemy’s face, and cut deep into a leg, reaching one of the thick arteries on the inner side of the thigh. Skin and flash opened with a loathsome smack, and Curufinwë was momentarily blinded by blood.

Someone grabbed him from behind, probably trying to crack his spine; and Curufinwë remembered the tattered remnants of once fine armour underneath his rags. They still held, but not perfectly... he was not safe, here as he was, surrounded by Orc-filth. He had to get help.

He jerked forward and slammed his fist into a swarthy face. His bones ached from the impact, but the Orc was knocked unconscious, and at the same time his left foot reached something soft and breakable; another one of his enemies must have fallen on the ground. And ahead...

Curufinwë gave a sharp cry as the first throat was sliced right in front of his eyes. The guardians of the camp had clearly intended to kill the captives before he could reach them. Luckily, he got there first.

Or did he?

Curufinwë tugged frantically on the rope around the second Elf – the scimitar’s edge was too thick to slide underneath. He needed Tyelko’s knife – where in Manwë’s name was Tyelko’s knife?! Did he just drop their last piece of Elven weaponry...?

He kicked an Orc furiously in the stomach, and watched over the gagged Elf with all the strength and vigilance of his shattered body. He could not allow him to be killed... he could not stand alone...

He was grabbed and pulled to the ground, cruel steel biting into his side. Curufinwë spat a colourful curse and rolled over, dragging a pair of unsuspecting feet with him. He rolled the Orc around, his fingers tugging at the soft flesh in the middle of his throat, unprotected by nerves and collarbones. There was a horrible, sickening crack, then the moist, tepid vacillation of inner bleeding under his hands, and the Orc started to twitch and shake violently. Curufinwë threw him on a dying archer, letting him drown in his own vomit.

Swift as a shadow, he slipped back to the two remaining prisoners. It seemed that the raid had not been previously planned, and the Orcs had captured them merely for sport. That, at least, gave Curufinwë some hope.

“Can you stand?” He asked the first Elf, but no answer came.

When he turned the body over and saw ragged entrails gushing forth from a wide scarring, he turned his head and vomited. The wound on his side was now throbbing steadily, and his legs were shaking with the sort of weakness that comes with the heavy loss of blood.

“I can stand, my lord,” said the last Elf, the one he had protected with his own body. “Please, unbound me, and let me fight for you.”

Curufinwë’s inquiring hand found the knife at last, and he slid the blade under the Elf’s ties. When the rope gave way, the scout fell to his knees for a moment, wriggling his wrists to make the blood circulate. Curufinwë handed him the scimitar and he pulled another, longer sword from the bowelled Elf’s belt.

Their enemies were already upon them; but Tyelkormo was still on his feet, and unscathed. With a fierce cry he sprang forward, and slammed into the chest of yet another Orc.

“HOW MANY MORE?” Curufinwë yelled, and sliced yet another belly, broke yet another arm, stepped on yet another face. His tattered clothes were becoming damp with sweat, and heavy with the smell of blood and earth.

“TWENTY-SOME SMELLY FILTH,” Tyelkormo bellowed. Whip still in hand, he was standing above Makalaurë, defending him with every move and breath. His arms and legs were dark and slippery with Orc-blood, and a fresh spring of his own blood ran down from his scalp.

Twenty-three was the exact number of their enemies; and for one silent, dreadful moment they seemed to turn against the three worn-out Elves as one and attack in one fierce onset.

If they do, one of us dies, Curufinwë thought. Perhaps all of us.

The silence stretched for four or five seconds; every body was motionless, every face grim, every muscle tense.

And then, all of a sudden, a little Orc pulled himself free from another’s grip, and broke into a run. He disappeared amongst the thicket with a cry of fear and dismay. Another pursued, and yet another; and when more than half of the party was gone, the rest followed as one.

The prey was costly; and none of them seemed willing to pay the price.

* * *

The three fighters stood frozen for several minutes; then Curufinwë fell on his knees next to his brother.

“Kano,” he whispered faintly. “Kano, do you hear me?”

His vision was darkening. It had to be the wound...

“My Lord!” The scout held him steady. “You have lost too much blood. Please let me take care of you as well as I can.”

“He comes first,” Curufinwë insisted, still holding the sides of Makalaurë’s face. “He is hurt…”

Tyelkormo knelt down as well, and checked Makalaurë’s pulse and breathing. Both were slow and faint, but still within the borders of normal.

“He will soon be awake, and in great pain,” said Tyelkormo. “He shan’t walk, but we have to move; and yet we cannot risk to move him. A true riddle. I wonder where the Orc-filth went.”

“They are most likely hiding in some secure, dark hole until nightfall,” said the scout. “We must make haste. If you will watch over him, I shall run and warn the Lord Warden; I may reach the Himring within two hours if I am swift. I will send you soldiers, provisions, healers and anything else you may need.”

“A sharp mind,” said Curufinwë. As little as he appreciated the prospect of staying out in the wilderness with Orcs about, he still found it in himself to celebrate cleverness. “What is your name? I do not seem to know you.”

“Antalossë, my lord. I joined the watch only three weeks ago. This was my first scouting...”

“Poor boy,” Tyelkormo sighed, his eyes still on Makalaurë’s face.

“Listen to me, Antalossë of Himring,” said Curufinwë, “I cannot promise that scouting will get any better; but I presume that my brother will much appreciate your bravery. You might never need to leave Himring ever again.”

The scout blinked. “You said – my lord, forgive me, but did you just say that your brother…?”

Tyelkormo and Curufinwë exchanged a glance, then laughed.

“Oh, aye,” said Curufinwë, “introductions might be in order.”

“Where is the fun in that?” Said Tyelkormo. “He shall have to guess. Which of the Seven are we?”

“As if that was a riddle,” Curufinwë snapped. “We have no time for your antics!”

“Yet you are the one playing Carnistir.”

“Ignore him, lad,” Curufinwë sighed. “And get back to your feet. We can get formally acquainted later.”

“Lord Tyelkormo, Lord Curufinwë, it is….”

“…a great honour, oh, tell me about it. It will be just as great when you return. You have to go. Now.”

“Yes, lord,” said Antalossë, and he ran. Soon, he disappeared among the hills, and the earth drank in the sound of his slender feet.

“A bright young thing,” said Curufinwë. “Centered on solutions. I like that. If I ever took a squire, it would be him.”

For a moment, Tyelkormo looked as though he was about to answer; but then Makalaurë stirred, hiding his face. He seemed to think that he was about to get beaten again.

“Shhh, Kano,” Tyelkormo whispered. He caressed their wounded brother’s face with a tenderness Curufinwë had almost forgotten he had in his large hands. “It is over. Our enemies are lying around in black puddles of blood and entrails. They all died in terrible agony, I promise you. We will soon burn them to the last Orc. It is alright, brother.”

Something akin with disgust flashed across Makalaurë’s face, and Curufinwë laughed.

“What a smooth way to cheer him up. I do not even remember the last time I had to say you were a rouge.”

“Cur...vo,” Makalaurë coughed, the haze of pain gone from his eyes. “Tyelko... what... how... when...”

“Too many questions.” Tyelkormo managed a smile.

“Where are...” Makalaurë trembled. “My head hurts.”

“That is no surprise,” said Curufinwë. “Be at ease, brother. Young Antalossë is on his way to the Himring. He shall bring help... and Nelyo will come and hunt the Orc-filth himself. It will all be frightfully amusing.”

He tried to sound cheerful, although he trembled at the thought of facing Nelyafinwë, Lord of the Himring and Warden of the East, and his eldest brother.

“Maitimo,” Makalaurë whispered. “I don’t want... I have failed...”

“Failed?” Curufinwë put his arms around his brother. “What do you mean?”

“Everyone... died... I... I was too slow…”

“Too slow for what?”

“Enough, Curvo!” said Tyelkormo solemnly. “You upset him. Let him rest.”

“We will talk later,” Makalaurë promised, his voice a little bit stronger. “It is... it is good to have you back. Even if it was very... very stupid of you... to run down a whole armed... troop of Orcs.”

“That is what brothers are for, Kano.” Tyelkormo smiled ruefully, and bent down to kiss the elder’s cheek.

 


Chapter End Notes

“Erenis” is an OC you’ll meet later. I have always imagined that Curufin had a daughter, too… so please forgive me for this small canon divergence.

A Day in the March

Wounds - seen and unseen - are tended, and a cloak stirs controversy.

Read A Day in the March

It was a beautiful morning. Cold for the season, yet bright and clear: perfect for a round or two of friendly sparring.

Or – in case you found yourself on the wrong end of Lord Maedhros’s blade – friendly torture.

The fourth impact against rain-steeped soil resulted in a very nasty crack somewhere in Counsellor Tyelcano’s leg. Instinctively, he rolled onto his side and checked his calves; they still hurt, but the only visible injury he found was a new tearing in his favourite trousers.

Lord Maedhros seemed tall as a Vala as he towered above him, longsword still in his hand.

“Did I wound you?”

“I did not take care when I fell.”

The lord frowned. “You always do.”

Tyelcano stretched his legs experimentally, and swallowed a curse when the pain came back. He should have secured his ankles. His old riding boots were starting to get loose.

“You are terrible to fight when upset, lord. Lose focus for one second, and you will send me flying through the meadow!”

Maedhros’s frown deepened.

“Upset?”

Tyelcano closed his eyes for a moment, searching for escape routes, but he found none. Maedhros – much like his father and grandfather before him – was hard to fool.

“Ever since that messenger came this morn, you are not yourself. First you send me off with the letter for the High King, saying that it can wait; then you lock yourself up in your study for hours. Then you ask me to spar with you, you beat me four times, and still you continue pacing like a hungry wolf. My dearest Lord, what ails you so?”

Maedhros sheathed his sword, and settled on the grass next to his counsellor.

“How strange,” he said. “I almost feel tired.”

“Do not burden your mind,” said Tyelcano gently. “It shall have to bear new weights soon enough. It would be wise to make those a little space.”

A smile ghosted through Maedhros’s face, and Tyelcano wished it would stay there for ever.

“Tell me about the letter you wrote,” his lord said at length. “It asked Findekáno for tidings about Princess Lúthien, the Silmaril and Findaráto’s fate, did it not? Evasively.”

“Evasively.”

“Good.” Maedhros was staring at his own gloved palm. “I say that we now know enough. It would be unwise to send that letter before my brothers are found…and questioned.”

Tyelcano stole a glance at his lord. “Do you still intend to make them stand trial?”

“I have been thinking about it,” Maedhros admitted. “Yet… they have lost so much, and pride is a fragile shield. There is no place for strife within my walls; and in Himring, my word is law. Whatever the decision, it is I and I alone who must take it.”

“There will be talk,” Tyelcano said. “And wondering.”

“Such things cannot be helped. Surely, if my own people start doubting me, I might as well hand my lordship over to Kano.”

“Where reason is mute, authority must speak, my lord says,” Tyelcano said smoothly, “and he may as well be right.”

Maedhros was silent.

“Your years and battles have earned you wisdom. Whatever doom you lay upon your brothers, they must bow before it, and so shall we all. You have made grave decisions before: why flinch now?”

“Let us walk,” said Maedhros, extending his hand to help him up.

Tyelcano swallowed his pride, and took it.

* * *

Halfway back to the castle, they crossed a thin forest belt, lord and counsellor stopped to look at the plains of Himlad as they opened below them, caressed by the enormous arms of low-running hills.

“I wanted to talk about a private matter,” Maedhros confessed. “That is why I have tormented you with sparring.”

“I know,” said Tyelcano.

“And yet you still let me do it.”

“It does not hurt to train every now and then…”

 “You are a far better swordsman than I, Counsellor. Or at least, you were. I have no idea why I keep winning.”

Tyelcano considered that for a moment. “Wrath,” he said.

“I could take offense, you know.”

“You certainly could, if you wanted – but as things are now, I doubt you would have time for it.” Tyelcano frowned. “Is this about your dreams?”

“I prefer to call them visions,” said Maedhros, a spark of excitement stirring in his eyes. “I wanted to ask... have you seen one since? And if you did, has anything changed…?”

“I see the same dream most every night; and I now remember every second of it, every corner and every shadow. I think you are right, lordship: it is a vision.”

Maedhros looked at him intently. “Tell me.”

Tyelcano did not answer at once; instead, he rolled back his sleeves and examined a scrape on the hilt of his sword.

“In my dreams,” he said at length, “I lay helpless on blood-steeped soil. It is my own blood – I am gravely wounded, and every breath is painful. Then I hear a crow cawing nearby, and more crows answer its call. I know that I am in danger, for my enemies are not far; though I have no memory of what they have done to me. There is a heavy pounding in my head, as if a blacksmith was working in it with hammer and anvil… The crows caw on, it makes my head hurt. I feel like they are laughing at me… I know that I have to go, to flee, but I feel too weak to stand. I use my hands and knees instead.”

“And what then?”

“I see corpses everywhere, but they are all Orcs. I am alone, and left for dead, but I know that I am still being followed. I hide in caves and breaches as the land rises around me. I walk when I can and crawl when I must, following the course of a dried river without any idea where it would take me. It is getting cold, and high mountain-peaks tower above me. I lose my sense of time and I despair; and that is when I hear the voice. All flowers shall wither, it says. In sorrow it has started and in sorrow it must end; behold the banners as they gleam in the light of the rising sun! The night is passing but another night shall come, blacker than ink, black as the Void beyond the Circles of the World. Many years could one wonder and many years could he hope, yet he shan’t succeed; the mountains are high and the peaks icy cold, and all flowers shall wither.

“And then my enemies find me; my hands are bound, I am captured… And then the voice speaks again. Hideous creatures lurk in the walls, it says, but he who walks in starlight does not flinch; he hides in caves and near breaches and behind rocks, and on he wanders, and on he wanders, but a dead end awaits. The gates are closed. Hearing such words of doom, I despair.”

“Yet after a long time, a time that seems like a thousand years, a faint light comes to me. I am in a large room; a room at home, in Tirion, and... and I believe I see Aran Finwë looking down at me, his hand resting on my forehead. He is saying something, but I do not know what. I see gates, guarded by armies and barred with iron. They are closed. That is all I remember. Is this by any means similar to your dreams, lord?”

Maedhros shook his head. “I hear the same words – and probably the same voice –, yet all I see are fleeting impressions of battlefields, flowing banners and corpses. Countless corpses. Some other times I fly above the world and I see fair Tirion as well, draped in the light of moon: that is not a picture from my memory, and not only because I cannot fly. The Tirion we knew was shining with the light of Trees; we cannot possibly know what would it look like in moonlight! True or not, I wish these dreams would go away, for I cannot grasp their meaning. All flowers shall wither might mean that all my plans shall gone awry, no matter what I would do; and I strongly believe that these visions are a warning that concern our people’s fate. The last time you asked me about these dreams, I was still trying to convince myself that they were meaningless; but since then, my patience has thinned. They make me feel helpless... I haven’t felt helpless since the cliff.”

“Lordship – ” said Tyelcano, with great grief.

“It is unbearable. I could stop the flood of war and tragedy that strains the hurdles – I should stop it, in fact – but I lack the knowledge, the understanding, the information to do so. And that... that frightens me!”

Only once before in his waking life had Tyelcano heard his lord – then, his king – saying I am frightened; and that was not a moment he now wished to remember… However, if Maedhros had sought him out with such a personal problem, it must have been gnawing at him for a long time; and he, Tyelcano had to try his best and help.

“It is possible, my lord,” he said as a sudden thought occurred to him, “that our dreams are two parts of a whole, and they only have significance if we put them together.”

“Two dreams as a whole?” Maedhros seemed to stir a little bit. “That sounds sensible enough.”

“Yes, lord. I am surprised, though, that it is me of all people you were destined to share this dream with. Your brothers would seem a much more natural choice.”

“I would not say so,” said Maedhros. They sprang to a walk along the narrow path, stray branches of burberry and dogwood grazing their waist and shoulders. “You are as much behind everything that happens in Himlad as I am; for I decide, and you make my decisions work. You certainly have to be warned of the same danger as I.”

“You told me that the dreams made you feel helpless,” said Tyelcano. “Is that what you feel each night when the dream wakes you up?”

“Sort of. The aftermath of this dream is a shadow of impending doom. Suffocating.”

Tyelcano frowned. “I see this vision as a riddle or task; some means of guidance to forego a disaster that would be inevitable if we would not have been warned beforehand.”

“I see no warning here,” said Maedhros. “This is a doom. All flower shall wither, it says, not all flowers might wither if we are not swift and smart enough. And it says that the gates are closed. No matter what we do, our doom is already weaved by Vairë; and there is nothing we can do to change it.”

“The gates are closed,” Tyelcano echoed. “Closed, my lord. Not locked. Not barred with iron. And our task is probably to open them. There is still a way for us to fair Tirion, and we shall find it! We will probably still suffer a lot from Moringotto’s malice; yet light is stronger than darkness, for it sees right through it, comprehending its ways and its purpose. Darkness cannot comprehend light and flees even from its sight.”

“That is what my father once told me,” said Maedhros.

“And do you think that he lied?”

“Nay. Yet since then, I saw veils of darkness that swallowed even the brightest of lights.”

* * *

The afternoon shadows were deepening around Tyelcano and his lord as they walked back along the path. Soon, the forest began to thin around them, and they reached the grass-overgrown crest of the hill they had climbed, letting the imposing sight of the Fortress of Himring reach their eyes.

The castle was built upon the highest hill of Himlad, wide and treeless, its summit slightly flattened. Lesser hills dappled the horizon; some of them were covered in scant forest, others were crowned by grey-green grass, and yet others remained bald and rocky. Several watchtowers stood upon these hills, facing all directions of the compass: shadows in the dewy daylight. The gates of the Himring were open, and a long line of riders was leaving the fortress. Along the high walls, beacons were lit.

Tyelcano and his lord exchanged a glance, then broke into a run. Soon, they were seen from the castle, and the riders rode to meet them, as if chased the Valaraukar themselves. It was a lanky youth who first came to them; his clothes and armour were ragged, his left arm hung wounded, and his eyes were wide and frightened.

“Lord Warden, Lord Counsellor,” he said. “We were about to search the woodlands for you.”

“And who gave you leave to do that?” said Maedhros coolly.

“C-captain Tulcestelmo, my lord,” the youth stammered. “I – it is about Lord Maglor; he has a bad wound.”

“When and how did that happen?”

“This morn, my lord, when the Orcs...”

“Orcs? Within my borders?!” Maedhros frowned. “What in Manwë’s name are you doing out there in the Marches?!”

“Lord Maglor was heading home, my lord,” the scout explained apologetically. “I was with him... and several others... when Orcs ambushed us. Our numbers were less than two dozen and theirs more than a hundred. We tried to flee.”

“A hundred against two dozen?” Tyelcano raised his brows. “How did you survive? And where is Lord Makalaurë?”

“Out there, not moving, with only two to guard him,” said the scout. “You will have to come with me, lords. I will tell you everything on the road.”

“Let us go then.” Maedhros straightened his back. “Senge,” he called at one of the guards, “bring my dear old friend, Silmatal.”

“And Alasto with him,” Tyelcano said.

“Here they stand, saddled, my lords,” Senge smiled faintly. “Three led horses as well.”

“Three?” Maedhros caressed the nose of his faithful stallion, and pulled himself up to the saddle. “Is that how many survivors we have?”

“It is,” said the scout. Their troop began the descent from the wide hill, horses snorting happily in the faint sunlight.

“Tell us your name, young one,” said Tyelcano, “and what happened. You must have fought heroically to save Lord Makalaurë.”

“I am called Antalossë,” said the scout. “Sadly, my lord, I did not fight as heroically as I would have liked. We would have all fallen to the last Elf, if lords Celegorm and Curufin did not come to our rescue!”

“My brothers?” Maedhros turned his head abruptly. “Here? They never announced their coming!”

“I do not know whence they came, my lord. By the time they chanced upon us, only four of us were alive, and one was Lord Maglor himself. Two of my kinsmen were bound at my two sides, and the Orcs... they started whipping Lord Maglor. Our blood was boiling, but there was nothing we could do: and that was when the help came. Lord Celegorm took the whip Lord Maglor had been tormented with, and turned it against the Orcs; and Lord Curufin freed me. We managed to fight off the remaining Orcs, but Lord Maglor was cruelly wounded. Lord Curufin as well – I begged him to come with me and see his wounds tended, but he would not leave his brothers behind. I can only hope that our enemies avoided them; Lord Maglor could not be moved, and I was the only one who had the strength to run for help.”

“You have done well,” said Maedhros. “Truly, I should thank you for the rescue of my brothers. A great evil has been avoided today.”

“I thank you, Lord Warden,” Antalossë bowed deeply in the saddle. “It was my pleasure to meet them. They are truly fierce and noble fighters.”

Laiquenis, the healer who was riding next to Tyelcano and behind the lord, shifted in her saddle. “Is it true, Lord Warden? The frightful rumour we hear about Nargothrond?”

“I do not know what you have heard,” said Maedhros gracefully. “We all know the nature of tales; the hero leaves home with a noble purpose, and the further he goes, the more unrealistic his quest gets; the more boasting and exaggeration lies within. My brothers are lords from the House of Finwë and I shan’t have their deeds taken on hearsay.”

“Yes, Lord Warden.” Laiquenis bowed. “Forgive my hasty words.”

“There is nothing to forgive,” said Maedhros, “the question was just. Yet it is wrong enough that the lords of the Quendi should chase rumours coming from their own kin. This is a fire we must not feed.”

Everyone agreed upon this point; yet Tyelcano sat in the saddle with an uneasy heart, watching the wind as it danced in his horse’s mane. They rode for another hour if not more, staying in the open fields all the way long. There was no reason to hide.

“If these Orcs found a way through my borders,” said Maedhros suddenly, “then something must be done. They have already taken the Gap and several lands on the edge, and they have roamed through the Pass of Aglon and the northernmost part of Thargelion. That is quite enough. Moringotto might have won the last battle, but this time, his black hand reached too far. He will burn his fingers.”

Maedhros’s eyes shone with unearthly light, and his voice was clear and sharp; Tyelcano had not seen him in such a mood since the Dagor Bragollach, when his lands were sacked and his castle besieged.

“Hurry and lead me, Antalossë of the March! Are we far yet?”

“I left them just there, my lord, at the foot of the next hill.”

Their escort circled the area; most of them vanished from sight, either into the forest or behind the closest hills. Only Tyelcano, Antalossë, the guard Senge and the healer Laiquenis remained with Maedhros. Together, they rode on; and soon enough, they encountered the first corpses. When they came upon the large meadow where the worst of the fight had happened in the morning, an army of flies and crows took wing, dreading Senge’s longbow and the hooves of their horses alike.

“Kano!” Maedhros cried, unable to contain himself any longer. “Tyelko! Curvo! Brothers! Can you hear me?”

After a short, dreadful silence, there was a faint “Nelyo!” coming from the back of the meadow. Maedhros jumped off his horse, followed by Tyelcano and Laiquenis; Antalossë and Senge stayed behind to keep the horses in check.

Counsellor Tyelcano had seen much since he had been born under the stars in fair Cuiviénen, and though he did not know this, he was still going to see much more; yet even among those countless highs and lows, he never forgot the sight that greeted him when they came upon that meadow.

Maglor was lying against a pinny oak, his head propped up with a pair of tattered cloaks. His face and neck were covered in bruises and his breath came ragged. Curufin was kneeling above him, holding his hand, whispering soothing words in his ears; and Celegorm was sitting next to them, his elbows on his knees, his face gaunt and expressionless.

Both Celegorm and Curufin seemed famished and dirty, their hair unkept and matted, their hands almost skeletal, clad in rags, a faint smell of blood lingering around them. Maedhros, who less than a second ago had still been running mindlessly to aid his brothers, suddenly halted and stared at the scene unfolding before his eyes. Tyelcano slowed his steps as well, and cast a wary glance upon Curufin, then Celegorm, then the seemingly unconscious Maglor, and then his lord.

Celegorm still seemed to be unaware of his surroundings; his shoulders were slamped and his face pale and blank. Curufin, on the other hand, raised his eyes straight to meet those of Maedhros; and for a moment, his face went cold and barred, something akin with enmity flashing through his eyes. It was an expression of humiliation, blind pain and mistrust: a trait of those who have been sent to exile, or who have been discarded by their own people or brothers-in-arms. For the shortest of moments, Curufin was painfully similar to Fëanor himself, the fallen star of a late Age.

Maedhros beheld his brothers in silence, his gaze softening for a moment. Then, his sigh was like a tempest: a breeze of distant fury.

“Nelyo,” Curufin said. His voice was throaty and low, deep wells of sadness opening within his eyes.

And that moment, Tyelcano knew that everything Feredir told them was impartial and true.

* * *

“Are you going to let him suffer, now that we have come this far to his rescue?” Laiquenis ran across the meadow, and fell to her knees next to Maglor. “Make yourselves useful, lords, and bring me clean water! There is a spring at the other side of the hill.”

“A task for me,” said Celegorm, suddenly awake from his reverie.

“Not before I broke your bones, little brother,” Maedhros said, his face unreadable. Celegorm stiffened, but his elder stepped to him with open arms, and embraced him, and kissed his brows. “Take my cloak, Tyelko, it will serve you well. And be swift! Kano shall need to drink fresh water once he is awake.”

Celegorm’s arms tightened around his brother’s waist for a moment, but he accepted the offer and draped himself in the soft crimson fabric.

“Counsellor, Lady Laiquenis,” he said, his voice calm and collected but his eyes still dreadfully empty, “I am glad that we meet again.”

“So am I, lord,” Tyelcano said. “So am I.”

Laiquenis was already checking Maglor’s pulse, but she raised her head as well, and graced the brothers with a smile.

“Well met, lords, and welcome back,” she said. “Lord Curufinwë,” she continued in an authoritative voice, “I have been told you were suffering from an injury.”

“That can wait, Lady Goldenhands,” said Curufin. “It is no more than a scratch, while my brother is in true danger.”

“I have been told no more than a scratch more times than I can count,” Laiquenis retorted. “Back then, I was young and naive, and I thought warriors must be able to measure the graveness of their own injuries. Yet that is the cruellest of lies.”

“I have heard crueller ones,” said Curufin, but he helped her straighten Maglor’s arms and legs nonetheless.

“What happened to you?” said Maedhros. “And what madness made you and Tyelko attack a troop of forty-some Orcs? You could have died!”

“At first, we planned to run and warn you about their presence,” Curufin sighed. “But then... then we saw them beating Kano, and we could not contain ourselves. It was probably a witless deed to do, but we had to do it, Nelyo. We could not leave him at the mercy of Orcs. I do not think that Tyelko had anything specific in mind other than blind rage and indignation, but I was afraid that the whole ambush had been previously planned and they wanted to capture Kano, then hide their precious prize from our eyes.”

“An Orc-ambush within my borders,” Maedhros sighed. “Two hours’ run from my own castle! Curse Moringotto and his rats! What have they done to Kano? Do you think he might suffer from inner bleeding?”

“Likely,” Curufin nodded. “His nose has been bleeding as well, but at least we managed to stop that. For a little while, he was conscious, and he told us how stupid we were for rescuing him. And he also mentioned you, Nelyo... he spoke of some message that someone took and that he came too late.”

“A message that someone took?” Maedhros frowned

“We did not understand that, either,” Curufin shrugged. “He might have felt distraught, wanting to say too many things at the same time.”

“He does have an ugly swelling at the back of his head,” Laiquenis commented, her skilled fingers drawing patterns in Maglor’s hair. “And he was thoroughly beaten; the muscles in his chest are all stiff. He shall need at least three days to fully recover – if he does not suffer from internal bleeding, that is. Curse those cruel beasts who have done this to gentle, kind Lord Makalaurë!”

“Can you do anything now to lessen his pain?” Maedhros pleaded.

“I shall need a fire to heat water,” said the healer. “Celandine for the wounds that bleed, milfoil for the ones that are hidden. I cannot risk anything else before examining the lord more thoroughly; yet I can almost certainly say that these shall lessen his pain for a short while.”

Tyelcano had to smile at Curufin’s and Maedhros’s eagerness as they carried out the healer’s commands. Laiquenis never had a problem with ordering lords and kings around when the need arose; she was a skilled healer and a strong, stern woman, but not one without a sense of humour. The Counsellor suspected that the latter was the very reason why Maedhros let her and only her tend to his wounds; and perhaps also that Laiquenis had taken part of the group of healers who had helped him recover after his rescue from Morgoth’s captivity.

Merely a few minutes later, fire was crackling happily next to them, and Laiquenis began to heat the contents of the small bottle she carried with herself. Soon, Celegorm arrived with fresh water, and Tyelcano held Maglor’s shoulders while Laiquenis washed his face gently, and smiled with satisfaction when a wave of wild shiver ran down his spine.

Two stormy grey eyes opened, then blinked.

“Cold water,” Maglor mumbled disapprovingly.

“A perceptive lord!” Laiquenis caressed his forehead lightly. “Can you sit up?”

“Lady Goldenhands!” His eyes opened again, and with an effort, Maglor smiled. “I am saved! Am I – am I at home already?”

“Nay,” said Laiquenis lightly. “I give you a draught to regain your strength, and then we shall all go home. Does it hurt your lordship when I do this…?”

The examination went on for a while; here and there, Maglor hissed and his eyes welled with tears of pain, but he seemed to get better every minute; and soon enough, he was sipping milfoil tea in the shadow of a great oak. Maedhros sat beside him, kissed his cheek, asked him how he fared; and Maglor leaned against his brother and accepted his comfort, not caring that the others saw him. He seemed reluctant to speak about the Orcs, yet provided a colourfully detailed description of Celegorm beating them up with a whip, explaining that back then, he thought he was only dreaming.

Tyelcano listened to the conversation with a wry smile on his face, his fingers playing with a strand of celandine. Such a small flower it was, yet its healing power estimated beyond measure...

“Tyelko, Curvo,” said Maglor suddenly, “it is only now that it occurs to me: have you come alone?”

“Never alone,” said Curufin. “I have Tyelko, and Tyelko has me.”

“No, I mean... where is Tyelpë? Where is Erenis? Where is Huan? Where is... anyone...? Has something happened? Valar, don’t tell me that they all... that they have all... and your clothes...”

“Nothing happened,” said Celegorm. “They are safe.”

“Everything is in order,” Curufin nodded.

“I have no doubt about that,” said Maedhros, and there was an edge to his voice that made them both wince. “But let us discuss those matters later, shall we?”

“Something has happened,” said Maglor tentatively. “Something I do not know of. That is why you sent for me to come at once.”

Maedhros closed his eyes, and he suddenly seemed very tired.

“Do not burden yourself, Kano,” he said. “Drink whatever is that you are drinking, come home with us, and recover. You will know everything in time.”

“Tell me” Maglor insisted. “I can handle it.”

“I do not know most of the story myself,” said Maedhros.

“Please, Maitimo, tell me...”

“Later, I said.” Maedhros caressed his brother’s hair, but his eyes were cold and commanding. “And now I, Nelyafinwë, Lord of the Himring, Warden of the East and all that, command you to stop brooding. Do you think you shall be able to ride?”

“I may give him a mouthful of spirit that gives him strength for a few hours to help him home,” Laiquenis said, “but after that, he shall feel weaker than before, and he shall need to stay in bed.”

“I am willing to take that risk,” said Maglor. “I shan’t slow you down!”

“Then let us hit the road within the hour,” said Maedhros. “Counsellor, bid Antalossë and Senge to bring us horses, and another spare cloak as well. I will not have my brothers parading around in rags.”

“I want no spare cloak,” said Curufin, his voice suddenly icy. “And I shan’t be lectured, humiliated and judged. If you are ashamed of me as I look now, Nelyo, then our ways must part here.”

“And you will go – where exactly?” Celegorm snapped. “Do not be such a fool!”

“I am no fool but I have my dignity!” Curufin hissed back at him.

“You know where you can shove your dignity! We no longer deserve such luxuries. Seize the opportunity while you can, and be glad that we are not rejected!”

“Be glad that I am allowed to breathe now, is it that? I will have none of it, thank you! What happened to you, Tyelko? Why are you so willing to crawl in the dust?”

“Valarssake, you were only asked to accept a cloak!” Celegorm cried. “I am tired of this, Curvo! I am weak and famished, and I long for a good night’s sleep without having to dread enemies in the darkness who want to slice my throat!”

“Rejected...? Famished...? Darkness...? Throats...?” Maglor shook his head in distress. “What in Varda’s holy name is going on here?!”

“Easy, Lord Makalaurë,” said Laiquenis softly, “you are tearing the bandages.”

Tyelcano’s eyes met the healer’s for the smallest fraction of a second; and the Counsellor knew she felt as uneasy as him, witnessing an unpleasant, and quite private family moment.

“Tyelko, Curvo,” said Maedhros, “you are my brothers. I have heard many things of late, but that is a truth that will never change, nor will I ever discard or deny it. As long as I draw breath, all my brothers and their servants, followers, friends or companions of any kind shall be fed, housed and garmented. If you prefer your rags, ride in them. I wished to spare you the narrow glances and humiliation, but if that is what you would rather have, I shan’t deny it to you. If either of you would rather offend me by not eating food from my table, you are free to do that as well. But if you are asking me to leave you alone in the wilderness, I cannot do that. Will not do that. Come with me, and I shall ask you questions, then we shall come to a compromise. And if your trust in your eldest brother is so weak that you think I would ever gag, humiliate or judge you, you may have witnesses on your own. You must, however, accept that you owe me explanation on certain matters; and I will have my answers relatively soon, whether you are willing to provide them or not.”

For a few seconds, utter stillness reigned on the meadow, only Maglor moved, his lips forming the phrase “what in Moringotto’s seven hells” over and over again.

Finally, Curufin bowed in front of his brother.

“Forgive me!” He said reluctantly. “You have never deserved such an insult. I grew rather... weary since last year, not that it blunts the edge of my words, of course. Please grant me another moment of your patience if you can.”

“Granted,” said Maedhros gracefully. “Now follow me. We have to scout the surroundings over before we leave; and the burial of our dead should be organised as well. We cannot leave them rot here in disgrace, under the open air.”

“What of the Orcs, my lord?” Tyelcano asked.

Maedhros did not even turn his head as he said,

“Burn them.”

 


Chapter End Notes

OC name meanings: 1. Senge [Q] (adj. keen of sight, observant, sagacious); 2. Laiquenis: laique+nisse (Herb-woman)

Wells of Pain

Celegorm and Curufin recount their side of the events, and Counsellor Tyelcano saves the day.

Read Wells of Pain

The Fortress of Himring, FA 467, the fifth day of Víressë

Maedhros could hardly remember any occasion when he was trying to extend a council meeting. Today was a remarkable exception: he found that he had ran out of words, having to face the inevitable much sooner than intended.

“Captain!” His voice was sharp.

“At your command,” said Tulcestelmo.

Maedhros lowered his gaze. People seldom dared look into his eyes; what could they see in their depths, he did not know.

“The matter of the insolent Orc-filth, I believe, is settled,” he said. “Anything else I should know about?”

“Nay, Lord Warden,” said Tulcestelmo. “The Orcs will come back and our strength needs to be gathered; now, however, we can only wait. If none of you lords have anything else to comment, I believe we are done for today.”

Maedhros looked questioningly at his brother Maglor, then at his counsellor Tyelcano, who were seated at his two sides. When neither of them raised any objections, he nodded his approvement.

“Well and done. Summon lords Tyelkormo and Curufinwë so we might have a word with them. In the Great Hall, if you please.”

The shadow of doubt ran through Tulcestelmo’s face, but he went to do as he was asked without comment.

“The Great Hall!” said Maglor, as soon as the Captain left. “Why? Nelyo, I waited half a week, but alas: my patience is over! I have questions.”

“So do your brother and I, lord,” said Tyelcano, sadness in his eyes. “Yet I doubt that the truth shall bring us peace.”

Maedhros studied them both carefully. Maglor’s health had considerably improved in the last three days, but an air of frailness and exhaustion lingered around him still. Tyelcano, on the other hand, seemed collected as ever; yet his face was grave and his shoulders bent, as if carrying some invisible weight.

He knew his Counsellor loathed what was to come just as much as he did, but he never expected to be able to see it.

“Let us not dwell on happenings yet unfolded,” he said. “Great things have happened while you were away in the marches: terrible, but great things. We are gathering in the Great Hall in order to demonstrate the gravity of certain happenings. Brothers or not, we need to talk to Tyelko and Curvo seriously – and here is why.”

He picked up the thread of happenings with that fateful night when Tyelcano had brought him Caranthir’s message; and Maglor listened warily. Maedhros also told him about Feredir, and Thingol’s letter, yet he did not mention his recurring nightmares.

And alas, Maedhros had to realise that Celegorm’s and Curufin’s actions told the story of a conspiracy.

Intrigue.

Crime.

Crimes require punishment, Maedhros heard his father’s voice emerging from the depths of time, be it even a Vala who commits them! Injustice stands against the laws of life and nature, and thus it shall not be condoned. If the Valar decide to close their eyes, plug their ears and hum, hoping that evil shall vanish like smoke, then let them! A true king brings justice to his people, even if it means his death. A true king is not cowed by fake wisdom; he fights!

Would you fight your own sons over injustice, Atar? Maedhros wondered, no need though there was to ask that question.

He knew that Fëanáro would – if the want of the law was the same as the want of his will, that is.

I am not as firm as you were, Atar, he thought. Yet I know that a judgement has to be made, so make one I shall. Give me strength, if you can hear me now: help me do what is right!

It was only then that it occurred to him that his Atar may not have always done what was right; but who else could he ask for guidance?

“How do you feel about the things you have heard, Kano?” Maedhros said to break the silence.

“I am at a loss of words,” said Maglor slowly. “What happened to Findaráto is unspeakable, horrible, unforgivable! And alas, evidence speaks against our brothers. They might have deserved their punishment indeed; and yet my heart still weeps when I imagine the hardships they must have lived through, left alone in the wilderness for a whole year. I owe them my life, my freedom and my sanity, but...” Maglor shook his head. “If we question them on this matter, I dread what might come out of it. And Thingol's letter...”

“We must see how they explain their own deeds if given the chance,” said Maedhros. “It should help us decide.”

Maglor stared at him in dismay. “Are you implying that we shall lay a trap for them? Pretending to know nothing?”

Maedhros had to smile.

Chivalrous as ever, my sweet, sad brother, he thought. You do not deserve to see times such as these; your heart lives in fair Valinórë still.

“We shall suggest that all we heard were obscure rumors. I will show them Carnistir’s letter, but nothing else. If they are honest, this should mean no trap. And if they are not…”

“Do you honestly expect them to lie?”

“I have no idea what to expect, which is why I decided to listen to my counsellor for once.”

“This is exactly the fourteenth time since the Flames, my lord,” said Tyelcano. “You are improving.”

Maglor shook his head. “This... I cannot participate in this. They saved my life!”

“And by their cruel machinations, they took that of Findaráto.”

“They are our brothers!”

“Do you honestly think I have forgotten that?!”

Maedhros’s voice had an edge to it; and Maglor flinched.

“Kano,” said Maedhros, “I offer you a deal. Should they both prove honest, I will tell them the truth at the end. I will apologize, and I will promise that my trust in them will never waver again. I will also tell that you were adamantly against the idea, and it was me who forced it upon you.”

“Never,” said Maglor. “We shall take the blame together. By participating in such a conspiracy, I inevitably become an accomplice.”

“Nay, Lord Makalaurë,” said Tyelcano. “I must take the blame for such an action. You brothers must not let strife separate you. If happenings and circumstances prove I was wrong, the wavering of your brothers’ good will and trust in me shall prove a fair punishment. Neither of you can risk that.”

“This shan’t be the fifteenth time I listen to you, my friend,” said Maedhros. “If there is a blame, I will share it.”

Maglor shook his head. “They are our brothers, Nelyo! Our blood!”

“Atar was our blood as well – as we are his.” Maedhros swallowed hard, and stopped the trail of his thoughts. “These are dark and cruel times. Fair faces and bright eyes do not speak to me, Kanafinwë; nor does blood; nor do wise words. Faces wither, eyes darken, blood can be spilled and words are wind. It is the deeds that talk.”

Maglor had no answer to that.

“Wisely did your brother speak,” said Tyelcano. “You were unconscious then, Lord Makalaurë; but when we came to your rescue, and Lord Curufinwë saw us, there was a strange look in his eyes. I know that look; and I have learned to fear it.”

* * *

By the time Celegorm and Curufin entered, a long table had been set in front of Maedhros’s favourite chair in the Great Hall, and four other seats have been settled around it as well. The one on his right was occupied by Tyelcano, and the other by Maglor. The seats were arranged in a fashion that the two wayward brothers would have to face their judges, not being able to escape their gaze. The table itself was loaded with roasted meat, garnishings, rich soup and several flagons of the finest wine the servants could find in the cellars.

“You have sent for us, Nelyo,” Celegorm spoke.

In the days past, the two brothers were all but ordered to stay in the comfort of their beds and heal; and indeed Celegorm regained some of his previous grace. His eyes were still empty, though, and his voice flatter than Maedhros remembered it to be.

“Strange choice of place,” said Curufin. His stark eyes were scanning the walls, and the banners of the House of Fëanáro that were hanging tensely from each side. These were made of red velvet, the Star woven upon with threads of gold: Maedhros’s colours.

For a moment, Maedhros wavered; but then, he remembered Curufin’s haughty words. His brother had been even reluctant to accept a cloak from him: if such a small flicker of his pride was this hard for him to sacrifice, then is there still any trust between them at all?

We are becoming strangers to each other, he lamented; then, he silenced his mind at once, wary of the dark places his thoughts might take him. Curufin was looking him in the eye, after all; and although he was still so thin that his cheekbones showed, his eyes were honest and a smile played on his lips.

Maedhros found himself smiling back at him.

“Your arrival was so sudden that I did not have the chance to prepare a welcoming feast,” he said casually. He gestured towards the two empty seats. “Come, sit with us and be at ease; for we have much to talk about.”

Celegorm did as he was told: he took the left seat, the one facing Counsellor Tyelcano. Curufin, however, remained standing – he was still smiling, however sadly. The tension in his shoulders seemed to loosen, and he let out a soft, ethereal sigh. Yet no emotion reached his eyes; they remained deep and lifeless like pools of silver.

“Nelyo,” he said, “I see no reason to organise a feast for our arrival. It is not a joyful event, but rather a day of great grief to us all. As you are probably aware, it was not the pull of brotherly love that pursued us here this time…”

“That much I know,” said Maedhros. “When I saw you in those stinking rags, part of me wanted to strangle you! Tyelko, Curvo, you are my brothers; and I feared for you, I searched for you, I was furious with you! You cannot imagine how I felt when the Lord Counsellor sought me out in the middle of the night some weeks ago, and gave me this letter!”

He handed Caranthir’s message to Celegorm, and waited for the effect. Curufin looked at the short note as well, his features unreadable.

“There it is,” said Counsellor Tyelcano. “A stolen Silmaril, and the pair of you banned from Nargothrond. And then – not even a word for your worrying brothers to read. Not even the vaguest kind of news!”

“A most grievous matter indeed,” Maglor nodded. “Would you explain what in Manwë’s and Varda’s name happened?! Who stole that Silmaril, where is it now and why were you banned...? Are those events linked by any means? We have received your letter about a certain Man and the folly of Findaráto – could this mean that the impossible came true? That they succeeded?”

The words echoed in the Great Hall for a long time, fading into silence. Then Curufin leaned back in his chair; and a wave of something Maedhros could have identified as turmoil just as well as wild amusement rushed through his face.

“You -,” he said slowly, almost experimentally. “You...”

“You know nothing?!” Celegorm whispered. “Nothing! You have yet to hear...”

Another minute passed in silence. Then Curufin shifted in his chair, crossed his legs comfortably, and emptied his goblet.

Counsellor Tyelcano leaned across the table and filled it again, and Curufin nodded his thanks.

“They have yet to hear, Tyelko,” he said. “Drink deep and well, my lord brothers, Lord Counsellor, for this may be the very last time we feast together. For great wrongs we have done, and I shall not deny them. I only pray, Nelyo, that you hear our poor explanation. Please never mistake it for any means of excuse.”

Curufin’s voice was soft and melodious, his eyes sadder than the skies on a winter morning.

“I shall hear whatever explanation you deem fit,” said Maedhros measuredly, though all he suddenly wanted to do was pull his brother in a tight embrace, so great his grief seemed to be. “Be at peace! For no sin, no fault and no misunderstanding shall ever erase my love for you. Still, whatever was it that you did, we need to hear it: otherwise, we cannot get ourselves ready for toils to come.”

“Save your generosity for later, Nelyo,” said Celegorm. “You will need it.”

He exchanged a swift glance with Curufin, and for the fraction of an instant, Maedhros caught – or thought he did – that particular glance in the latter’s eyes that Counsellor Tyelcano feared.

And then –

And then nothing happened.

Their meal went on, slow and delightful; and the two brothers told their tale.

* * *

It was Celegorm who first picked up the thread of events, starting with the fateful day when a haggard Man came to the halls of Nargothrond with a ring on his finger, and sought a private audience with the King. Celegorm precised a detail – the importance of which had not registered in Maedhros’s mind before –, that King Finrod meant to keep the aim of the Quest in secret, not wishing for anyone from the House of Feanor to know about the errand of pursuing a Silmaril, until the day his departure was announced in Nargothrond.

“He must have hoped that the veil of secrecy would well conceal him and his party, either until they die or until the stolen Jewel is safely hid,” Celegorm explained, “and I do not blame him for that. Curvo and I, however, have had word of these plans; and we strongly opposed them. We spoke with the King three times, begging him not to go: out of mere friendship at first, for even if we held a grudge against Findaráto for not trusting us, we wished him well. When we saw that rational arguments were not likely to convince him, we tried relying on his close ones, suggesting that his passing would prove too great of a loss. Yet alas! All our efforts were in vain. Lastly, I knocked on his door in the middle of the night, before he went on that foolish errand, and I furiously reminded him of a king’s duty towards his people. I said he had neither the right to send them all to a hopeless battle, nor the allowance to leave them and seek death. I told him he was being greedy and irresponsible.”

“And how did he answer?” Maglor asked softly.

“He coldly reminded me of Alqualondë, saying that I was not to lecture him about honour and duty. People really need to stop to use that argument against us – dreadfully tiring, do you think not?”

“Yet not invalid,” said Maedhros under his breath. In any debate, Alqualondë was a cruel weapon indeed, a knot on the tongue; he wondered if they could ever untangle it.

“It happened thus that we gave up convincing Findaráto: a most grievous mistake,” Curufin spoke. His voice was gentler than Maedhros had expected.

Too gentle, he thought; but some deep fibre of his being suppressed that suspicion.

“Our time was growing short, and Findaráto seemed determined to go. We dreaded the day, Nelyo, when he and his army would flee for Angamando, and leave the city of Nargothrond unguarded; and it came far too soon indeed. And thus… at the last moment, out of desperation, we used the power of our voices to make the people stay: to save their lives. It was a grave deed, for we have spoken and acted against a King of the Eldar; but I am asking you, my brothers, I am asking you Lord Counsellor: were scorn, life threat and exile a fair punishment for such a debatable decision? Is it not enacted in the Laws of the Ñoldor that no one can be compelled to follow their lord into folly or cruelty?”

“Aye, Lordship, that is,” Counsellor Tyelcano said softly, “at least, in theory.”

“That theory should become practice, Lord Counsellor,” said Curufin proudly.

The Counsellor suddenly seemed to be listening far more intently than before.

“If the cause of authority is wrong,” Curufin went on, “otherwise treacherous deeds may prove valiant to impartial eyes. No one stands above law, and law is the command of reason and sanity. We did not let those people fall into darkness, we did not let them march to Angamando unguarded. We saved them from falling victim to Moringotto’s wrath, we saved them from dying in his dungeons. Findaráto took the best of his knights with him, all armed with the finest steel, a ray of light against the blackness of the Enemy’s malice; but his people did not follow him into madness. They were left to wait, devoid of hope; and who did their King leave behind to sit on his throne, to take his stead and rule...? His incompetent nephew! I would rather see a Dwarf dwell in fair Nargothrond’s halls than thin-voiced, stone-tongued Artaresto! That slow dullard! That...”

“Curvo,” said Celegorm. There was a soft motion under the table-cloth, and Maedhros suspected that he took the other by the hand.

“Right you are,” Curufin sighed, his face suddenly tired, his voice soft. “Ire has poisoned my tongue. Artaresto must have taken our deeds for cruel treason, and he might as well have acted out of grief and desperation…! Still, he ignored his duties and continued to pace back and forth along his halls like a ghost; and so it fell to us to govern the city. Our servants helped us greatly, and for that we could be thankful: the tasks were so numerous that we paid little heed to mourning King Findaráto. That time, we could not yet know what his fate would be; but deep in our hearts, we all sensed he would die. Yet alas, we all know the ways of the people: they tend to exclude unpleasant matters from their everyday thoughts and wonderings, forgetting them as weeks pass by; yet when the time comes and their darkest forebodings are fulfilled, who is then to blame...?”

“Their King,” Celegorm answered the poetic question. “Or their leaders. Their lords – which meant us, in this unlucky case. Even under Findaráto’s rule, we had a place of honour in his council, and people loved us, people followed us. Until that fateful day…”

“...when news came of Findaráto’s death,” Curufin nodded. “Did it come as a surprise to any soul within the city’s walls? I sincerely doubt it. Yet people were outraged, and they mourned their king with great sorrow. Everything we had done to maintain order in Nargothrond seemed to be forgotten at once; and we were exposed, pillorized and pointed at. It was said that we had sent the King to exile by our evil machinations. I ask you, my brothers, I ask you, Lord Counsellor: was it not the pair of us who had most fervently opposed this Quest of folly at the first place? Was it not me, Curufinwë Fëanárion, who stood up against King Findaráto when he was already at the gates, amount his white stallion, and told him he was abandoning his duties as a ruler…? Half the city saw me standing there, uttering these words... yet alas, it would seem that some sort of dark magic, some sort of doom had fallen across Nargothrond. We were no longer loved; and Artaresto exiled us.”

“At least he did not let the guards shoot us,” said Celegorm. “For that much, we can be thankful.”

Silence followed these words; and Maedhros pondered everything that he had heard. Much had changed indeed: Curufin’s subtle voice had ravelled out the painful bogs in his thoughts. As if new perspectives of truth and reality had just opened before him...! He now understood rapports and coherencies he had never before taken in; and all at once, everything seemed so simple and evident.

Indeed, people were less wise than his brothers; they were Fëanor’s blood for a reason. Indeed they would wrongfully blame them! And indeed his brothers had to cruelly suffer in order to save the people – someone had to take the blame, and they were willing. They stood brave and tall, as Atar would have stood.

A vague impression floated through Maedhros’s mind; the mild suspicion of having forgotten something.

Something about woodelves, mayhaps?

His gaze wandered back and forth between his brothers’ faces, enticed by the expression he saw on them. Celegorm sat straight like a king robbed of his throne, discarded by his knights, alone with his selfless generosity; and Curufin was like a great scholar next to him, a master of crafts, a misunderstood soul: too proud to ask for understanding, yet too wary to demand respect.

“O, my brothers, my dear Lord Tyelco,” he said mournfully, “you cannot imagine how pained I was, how guilty I felt when I heard of Findaráto’s death! I should have convinced him somehow... some way... but he was a good king, and one of strong will. A worthy kinsman of ours: once he was determined to do a deed, nothing and no one could stand in his way. Unfortunately, not even Tyelkormo and Curufinwë from the House of the Star.”

Curufin bowed his head and Celegorm wrapped an arm around him, comforting him.

Counsellor Tyelcano was listening all the more intently.

“And that is not the end of the story,” Celegorm said. “When we were banished from Nargothrond, the folly of fear was so great in the hearts of the people that even our own servants betrayed us! They took us for traitors, for murderers. Not even Tyelpërinquar and Erenis were willing to follow us; in Nargothrond they remained, under the rule of Artaresto. It was with great pain that we parted from them, but we had no choice.”

“I paid a bitter price for my mistakes indeed,” Curufin agreed. “Forever I shall grieve for that day.”

When Curufin glanced up, Maedhros saw something in his eyes – a flicker that was definitely not one of grace, wisdom or sadness. It was cold, it was bright, and it was frightening; and he felt as though a veil of fog had lifted from his mind and his thoughts ran free, no longer anchored on empathy towards his brothers.

This moment was enough for him to perceive that something was fairly and truly missing from his brothers’ account – yet he could not guess what it was. The pieces adamantly refused to come together; did he not pay enough attention? Or could it be... maybe...

Suddenly, another disturbing feeling seized him: the nagging sensation of not seeing something that was right in front of his eyes. The aftermath of a forgotten impression, an important memory still lingered in his fëa, but he could not ease it back into his mind. Perhaps it was something about Thingol – but how on Arda would Thingol fit into this story...?

Maglor leaned towards Celegorm and Curufin and took their hands, unshed tears glistening in his eyes.

“Oh, Tyelko, Curvo,” he whispered, “I am dreadfully sorry for what you had to endure. Where did you go afterwards? What did you do? O, dearest brothers, when did your fine garments become stinking rags?”

“That is not a story worth telling,” said Celegorm with a humble smile. “Snow, frozen rivers, lack of firewood and wolves – that is what one can expect from winter. Yet life got better in spring; and this last summer was a remarkably rich and beautiful one. Circumstances slowed us, and we lost our way as well, once or twice.”

“But we are here now,” Curufin added reassuringly, “here, under your care; and we have fine cloaks and leather boots to warm us up. We dine at your table and we sleep in your beds. It is good to have a warm home in such treacherous times!”

Maedhros felt another pang of disturbance in the back of his mind. He could remember perfectly well that Curufin had even refused at first to have a new cloak. He did not want to be helped, he did not want to be lectured and humiliated, as he put it.

What happened, then? Did the long desperate months take their toll? Did he merely speak out of wariness? Or perhaps out of relief that no matter what does he do, no matter what does he say, we, his brothers would still be there for him...?

That sounded far too emotional to be true.

Something is not right, Maedhros thought. I have forgotten something...

“There is a detail I have yet to understand,” said Counsellor Tyelcano.

“And what would that be, my good Counsellor?” Curufin inquired.

“Something must have caused such an indignation among the citizens of Nargothrond”, Tyelcano explained. “My heart wavers at the thought that you were so cruelly misjudged.”

There was an edge to his voice, Maedhros noticed. Could it be mockery? But where would his counsellor find the courage to mock the lords whose fathers he had been serving his whole life…?

“Such things, however unpleasant, have happened before,” Curufin lamented. “I cannot explain it any more than you, Counsellor; but surely, one who is so well-versed in the ways of intrigue and diplomacy as yourself, shall eventually find some sort of explanation.”

“Are you perfectly sure that nothing, nothing happened in Nargothrond that would make you traitors?” Tyelcano asked.

“We failed to protect Findaráto,” Celegorm offered.

“Anything else, I mean.”

“Nothing else we are aware of, Counsellor,” said Curufin softly. “I should have probably fought more to make my children see reason; but alas, I let them choose.”

“My interests,” said Tyelcano slowly, “lie still elsewhere.”

“I truly cannot think of anything else,” said Curufin.

“So if we leave the exile of Aran Findaráto out of consideration, nothing of your deeds in Nargothrond would make you traitors?”

“Nothing, Counsellor,” said the brothers in unison.

“And how about being liars?!”

“Liars!” Maglor exclaimed with indignation. “Be careful with your words, Lord Counsellor!”

Liars.

Maedhros shook his head. Why would Tyelko and Curvo be liars? He knew them since their birth, the very spring of their childhood. Surely he would perceive if they lied...? And why would they lie in the first place?

Still, I have forgotten something... something about Thingol...or was it Carnistir, perhaps?

Surely, that was Carnistir. I am being ridiculous.

“Counsellor,” said Maedhros sternly, “you will excuse yourself in front of my brothers. You have no right to accuse them so, especially not after the wrongs they have recently suffered. I am most displeased with your behaviour!”

“Is their power so great over you, my lord beloved?” Tyelcano all but shouted at him. “Do you not see how viciously are you, both of you, being misled?!”

Maedhros sprang to his feet, eyes alight with fury, towering above his Counsellor like a giant.

“This was the very first time you allowed yourself to speak to me in such a tone, servant of my House,” he said, “and the very last as well. Am I understood?”

“Not if I see your lordship in grave danger,” said Tyelcano. He withstood his lord’s gaze, though his voice trembled with emotion.

“In that case, you must leave us. Now.”

“My lord...”

“Leave!”

“Please, Nelyo, spare your wrath from our good old Counsellor,” said Curufin. “He wishes the best for you.”

“Sadly I hear that we have lost your trust and good will, Lord Tyelco,” Celegorm added with a sigh, “but such wounds cannot be healed in the heat of the present. With time, I am sure we shall be as good friends as before, and you shall learn to believe us anew.”

“Do you not see how cruel you are?” Maedhros snapped. “Thrice I command you: leave, Counsellor, and avoid my company for the next few days!”

Slowly, Tyelcano emerged from his chair, proud and unwavering.

And then, knelt before his lord.

“Never shall my faith or trust waver in you,” he said. “If you deem my words or deeds wrongful, I respect your judgement and I shall indeed leave; but for the sake of the countless years I have spent serving your family, Lord Nelyo, I beg you to take this letter, and read it again: read it, as you have read it to Lord Makalaurë an hour ago! Read it over and over, lest you forget what is truth and what is illusion!”

With that, he pulled out a thin scroll of parchment from under his cloak, and held it out to Maedhros, not flinching before his gaze.

I have forgotten something.

Maedhros took the parchment, and his eyes widened when he saw the flaking shards of wax around its seal.

It was Thingol’s seal, and it was broken.

The message had been read indeed.

“Nelyo, may I...?” Curufin shifted in his seat, a pang of uneasiness in his voice.

“No, lordship,” said Tyelcano starkly, “You may not.”

“You are being impossible, Counsellor!” Celegorm’s eyes flashed with anger. “Curvo only wants to help him!”

Maedhros almost winced in shame. Much like many, many other times since his rescue, he felt naked. Spoiled.

Exposed.

“I may be a cripple,” he said icily, “but I believe my condition is stable enough to be able to read a letter by myself!”

With that, he wedged the top of the parchment under his goblet, and unrolled it; and then, it all came back to him.

“Nelyo?” Maglor shifted closer to him, risking a feather touch on his shoulder. “Is aught amiss?”

“…now this is a most interesting take on the previously discussed events,” said Maedhros, his voice shaking with rage. “I cannot wait to hear what you will say to this.”

His brothers’ faces were pale, expressionless masks around him.

Maedhros rose, and started pacing behind the table: back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. He shook out the parchment, and held it out far before himself. His pacing became slower, more controlled.

In the depths of his being, something trembled.

“To Maedhros, son of Fëanor, Lord of the Himring and Warden of the East,” he read in slightly accented Sindarin, “Elu Thingol, Lord of the Sindar, King of Doriath and Protector of the Woodland Realm sends his kind regards.”

He paused for a few moments, watchful for the others’ reactions. Maglor’s breath was caught in his thoat, Celegorm bit his lip, and Curufin crossed his arms.

Counsellor Tyelcano was still kneeling before him, his sword on the floor, his head slouched.

“…I turn to thee in an hour of dire need, for my heart is weary. The shadow of the Enemy grows, and so forth. I inform you with great displeasure that your two brothers, lords Celegorm and Curufin have kidnapped my daughter, and refused to return her home unless I grant Lord Celegorm her hand,” Maedhros read, theatrically outlining the words “displeasure”, “kidnapped” and “hand”.

“How could you...!” Maglor whispered, horrified. “You lied to us! You deceived and enchanted us!”

“I did not expect such irreverence from the proud Ñoldor; and by the laws and customs of my realm, I must thus deny any future union between our Houses,” Maedhros went on reading mercilessly. Later, at the mention of justice, Curufin shifted a little in his seat, and Celegorm buried his face in his hands.

Silence followed the lecture: deaf, icy, painful silence. Maedhros was struggled to keep his breathing even; hot claws of fury were gnawing at his stomach, and his fist clenched around the parchment.

“So?” He asked. “Will you say something, or should I rather acquaint you with the written testimony of Feredir, messenger of Doriath?”

“Why, Nelyo?” Celegorm shook his head. “Why play us for fools if you already knew everything?”

“To corner us!” said Curufin. “I should have guessed – and you know what is coming now. Our own brothers shall name us liars and murderers. They will never understand why we did what we did, and why we wanted to keep it in secret. That was a risk we took; and we did not succeed.” He looked Maedhros in the eye, and somehow, he still managed to look dignified. “Lay a trap for others, and ‘tis you who shall fall in it, or so the wise say; yet if I ever expected a trap, Nelyo, it was not laid by you.”

“How are you still capable of palliating yourself?!” Maglor exclaimed. “You shan’t fool us again! The power of your voice may be as great as Atar’s; but Atar was wronged, and blinded by pain when he used it. You, Atarinke, are simply being vicious.”

“Enough!” said Maedhros. “Tyelkormo and Curufinwë, do you have anything else to tell us? Anything true?”

“Naught,” said Celegorm.

Curufin shook his head as well.

“Then judge you I shall, by the laws of the Ñoldor and in the name of our House. Tyelkormo and Curufinwë from the House of Fëanáro, I gave you a chance to explain yourselves and acquaint us with your deeds. You have most cruelly misused that chance. The faith that began to waver in my heart when I heard of your deeds has now disappeared entirely! Brothers we may still be, but I trust you not.”

Maglor grabbed his hand under the table, and squeezed it so hard that Maedhros feared his fingers would break.

This must be done, Kano, and you know it, he thought. Please do not spoil it with your good-heartedness.

“I give you two options and three days to make a choice. The first one is the following: You shall no longer hold a place in my council. You will live under my roof and use the smithy, the garden, the stables, or whatever else you need; you will be fed, housed and garmented; but no one shall be put under your command, lest they choose so themselves. And the second one: your titles you may keep, your blazons you may still use; but you leave Himring in a week, and take no one with you. Once you have left, you cannot return; and come strife or danger, I shan’t protect you. I, Nelyafinwë, son of Fëanáro, have spoken, and you have heard me. Three days from now, you will decide, and this matter will be over; and now, I bid all of you to leave the Hall. We may still meet at the dinner table.”

Maglor was the first to move. He sprang from his chair and all but ran out the door, slamming it shut. Next in line was Celegorm; he bowed and followed his elder brother with long, measured steps, his face blank.

When Counsellor Tyelcano rose as well and took his sword, Maedhros caught his wrist, and looked him deep in the eye. After a few moments of fruitless struggle with words, he bowed to kiss his forehead.

“Thank you, wise one,” he whispered.

“That, Lord Nelyo,” Tyelcano said bitterly, “was not a counsel willingly given.”

“It served us well nonetheless. Go, my dear friend, find yourself some rest.”

It was more of a command than a simple request; and Counsellor Tyelcano knew him enough to feel the difference. He bowed and went on his way, swiftly and silently.

Only Curufin remained now. He sat in his chair still, his face buried in his palms.

Could he be…?

Maedhros had never seen Curufin cry; not when the Trees were destroyed. Not when their Grandfather was lying on a bier in the empty treasure-hold of Formenos. Not when the ships were burned.

Not even when their Atar evanished in a pile of ash.

“Curvo -,” Maedhros choked, not knowing what to do, not knowing what to say.

His brother lowered his hands, and Maedhros saw that his eyes were dry.

“I told Erenis that she was useless,” said Curufin, his voice frighteningly casual. “That she was good for nothing. And I told Tyelpë that he was only used in Nargothrond for his talent. That no one really loved him. I thought I was lying to protect them – that was what I tried to tell myself afterwards, either way. But now I am not so sure. I do not always notice when I am lying anymore.”

“Today, you did notice.”

“I saw the look on your face when we met, and I thought you knew. So did Tyelko. But when you offered us cloaks… when you were kind with us, cared for us, fed us and took us home with you, we were starting to have our doubts! I can see now that it was planned as well, and I hold no grudge for it. It had to be done. It worked; for indeed, we never believed that you would take us back in, if you… if you truly knew.”

“If you were only honest with me,” said Maedhros, “I would have let you word my answer to Thingol, and as rudely as you might have wished. Though he may have been wronged himself, a thief is still a thief.”

“What is done is done already,” Curufin shrugged. “And yet, I must tell you this: Tyelko was against my plans. He wanted to tell the truth… I insisted to lie. I was wrong, Nelyo; it never even crossed my mind that you would let us stay here if you knew.”

“You thought – what? That I would banish you? Disown you? Let you wander the wilderness on your own? You think I could live with that?”

“I no longer trust hearts or forgiveness, Nelyo. Not even yours.”

“I see,” said Maedhros.

When his brother spoke again, his voice was soft, almost pleading.

“I… the judgement is up to you, brother, but Tyelko does not deserve it. He was against me!”

“He let you convince him.”

“I have certain powers to convince people, Nelyo, and I am not afraid to use them, as you have just witnessed,” said Curufin said. “I am also splendidly capable of harnessing Tyelko’s passion and anger when it rises. He is everything I have, Nelyo, and his fate is in your hands: better than mine, in any case. Please, if there is any warmth left in your heart towards us, let him stay, and stay in honour! He does not deserve to lose your trust. I know he will choose to dwell in your halls; please, let him be useful! That is all I ask for.”

“What about yourself?” said Maedhros.

The dull ache in his chest was almost unbearable; and all he wanted was to embrace the brother he could not trust.

Just ask for my forgiveness, he pleaded in his thoughts. Admit your regret, Curufinwë! Just let yourself cry properly, and I shall gladly fall in your trap again. Stay with me!

And bitterly, his brother laughed.

“You know me, Nelyo! You know that I would occasionally cast honour aside for comfort or convenience; and that I would trade comfort for an empty title without a second thought.”

“Is that your last word?” said Maedhros.

“More might come; and they will please you not. Now go, big brother, fetch yourself some wine before you faint! It must be horrible to live with titles like Warden of the East, Enemy of the Enemy and Head of the House of Hopeless Morons.”

 


Chapter End Notes

- This is the opening scene of Maedhros's POV, but due to the course of events - as you may have noticed -, his usually very sharp and lively consciousness was now considerably dulled; so you could say that Maedhros, for the first time we encountered him as a central character, did not really feel like Maedhros (at least, not my version of him).

- The concept of Curufin's enchantment was strongly inspired by the following passage from 'The Two Towers' (don’t try to tell me there’s no connection between him and Saruman…):

"Suddenly another voice spoke, low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment. Those who listened unwearily to that voice could seldom report the words that they had heard; and if they did, they wondered, for little power remained in them. Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to see wise themselves. When others spoke, they seemed harsh and uncouth by contrast; and if they gainsaid the voice, anger was kindled in the hearts of those under the spell."

/ The Lord of the Rings, Book III, Chapter X.: The Voice of Saruman /

- About Curufin calling Orodreth a “slow dullard”, which sounds a tad too rude: excerpt from the Lay of Leithian, Canto IX [one of my favourite passages detected]:

Curufin spake: 'Good brother mine,  

I like it not. What dark design            (80)

doth this portend? These evil things,

we swift must end their wanderings!

And more, 'twould please my heart full well

to hunt a while and wolves to fell.'    

And then he leaned and whispered low          (85)

that Orodreth was a dullard slow;      

long time it was since the king had gone,      

and rumour or tidings came there none.        

Trisemes and Ladders

Erestor makes a new friend and Ecthelion * almost * executes a most gruesome royal order.

Read Trisemes and Ladders

The storm was raging.

Coldness crept under his robes as he struggled along some invisible path: onwards, always onwards. Snowflakes blurred his vision; frost scratched his skin like tiny claws, running over the trails where his tears had streamed down.

His hands and knees were numb, but he pushed himself to his feet whenever he stumbled, with the desperate determination of one whose mind is fully set upon his mission. Shadows danced around him as drifts of snow glimmered in the night: brushstrokes on a pale, silvery canvas.

And there it stood. The tall creature waited in front of the open gate, watching, listening. Its face was veiled, but his eyes, he could see. They shone not with the light of Aman but the cold fire of madness. The shadowy figure did not enter the gates, nor did it cross the distance between them; and as in each and every one of his dreams, Laurefindil heard the doom.

“He who walks in starlight does not flinch,” chanted the all too familiar voice of his nightmares.  “He hides in caves and near breaches and behind rocks; and on he wanders, and on he wanders, but a dead end awaits. The gates are closed. Will you open them, Lord of the Golden Flower? Or will you let the world wither?”

This was the first time he heard himself openly addressed, and he shivered at the sudden impact. For a moment, he saw – or thought he saw – a dimly lit room with thick, green curtains and a wide desk full of parchments; then a table loaded with a fine meal and shy sunlight dancing on cutlery. Then everything went black as ink, black as the Void beyond the Circles of the World.

It felt like falling into a pit. The world was suddenly shattered into pieces, into smoke and senseless ruin. Laurefindil screamed, lost his balance, and reeled into the incorporeal void beneath his feet.

And then, in a moment of utter despair, the shadow sprang forth.

The shady figure leaned into the whirling darkness around him, and held out its hand. Laurefindil caught it, wrapped his frozen fingers around his saviour’s wrist. Ice and frost ran along his nerves: an unpleasant, tingling feeling that made him feel very much alive.

Next, he saw a field at the dawn of spring, green grass and foggy hills; he saw a trail of black blood flowing down a gentle slope; he saw a red cloak flapping in the wind, fleeing from approaching riders.

And a silent figure he saw: an Elf sitting upon a rock, surrounded by the sour smell of earth, his shoulders slumped, his eyes hollow and empty. His face spoke of grief and utter despair.

And Laurefindil knew that face.

The Captain’s Quarters in the Royal Palace of Ondolindë, FA 467, the second day of Víressë

Laurefindil, Head of the House of the Golden Flower, Captain of King Turukáno’s Guards and Marshal of His Armies woke up on the floor next to his own bed, covered in sweat. Soft morning light was wafting into his bedchamber, shadows shifting softly from one side of the wall to the other as some breeze played with the curtains; and yet, Laurefindil’s spirits seemed to stubbornly retire into the darkness they had emerged from.

If only there was some way – any way – to stop this struggle, he thought, still panting. What on Arda is the meaning of these dreams?! The Gates are closed – but it is not within my power to open them. And why would I? Why should I? This is absolute madness. Irmo, Lord o’ Dreams, take these visions from me, I beg thee!

And Tyelkormo, he went on. Why did I have to see Tyelkormo in such a state? Could this dream be real? Could this cruel Shadow haunt him, just as it haunts me…?

“No!”

Laurefindil stood, draped his nakedness in a towel, and marched into his bath-chamber, determined, hands tightened into fists.

“It was only a dream,” he said aloud, eyeing his reflection in the mirror. “A meaningless vision created by my imagination, sewn together from my grief and distress. These visions have nothing to do with reality. And Tyelkormo – I only saw Tyelkormo because I mentioned him the other day.”

Laurefindil could hardly expect his reflection to speak up and answer while he remained silent, yet after a few seconds of apprehensive silence, he concluded:

“There is no reason to feel concerned – it was a dream, and only a dream. Everything is all right with me.”

It is not particularly all right to converse with myself loudly in front of the mirror, though, he admitted. He had never felt the need for it; not even when he had first received a position of leadership, and was suddenly expected to give orders.

I have never had such nightmares in my life! Not even when the Trees were felled.

Laurefindil closed his eyes, calmed his breath. Inhale, exhale. Soon, the mad pounding of his heart was reduced to a soft, steady rhythm and his mind was cleared. Yet, his thoughts immediately turned back to the shadowy figure: now a constant element of his visions.

It has grey eyes. I have never noticed that before.

Why would I care, though? Grey eyes or not, the Shadow has never existed, and never will. It must be a sign. A symbol. If I could only understand myself better...! Could the explanation truly be as easy as Ecthelion suggested? Could it be that this Shadow is my own grief, or my feeling of guilt...?

Aye, Laurefindil concluded, such are the possible answers to this riddle. And nothing else.

If the visions would not let him be, then he would not sleep. Eventually, he or the dreams would have to yield; either he would fall asleep and see them through, or he would exhaust himself to a point where no dream can wake him. He had no time for this nonsense!

Laurefindil had tried to fulfil this conviction the night before: he had picked up the nearest book from his shelf and settled back in bed, trying to convince himself that the lore of ancient poetic structures held much more interest than any dream he could possibly have. For a couple of hours, there was no sound in his bedchamber, save for the low rustle of turning pages; but then came a moment, when Laurefindil closed the book with a soft thump. It was all over: he had read it, he had swallowed it whole. Poetic structures and quantitive verses were chasing each other in his weary mind, and the back of his head was pounding.

Iambically.

“Enough!” Laurefindil groaned. The dreams made his days a turmoil and his nights an agony. He had to put an end to their onslaught, once and for all. Only, he did not have the slightest idea how to do so.

Or did he?

Hidden in the lowest drawer of his nightstand, there was a small flask: Voronwë’s gift from his last great journey, a few years ago. Its contents were a particularly effective mixture between strong alcohol and sleeping draught; according to Voronwë, those who tasted too much of it were bound to suffer the impact of the former, while those who used it within bounds could enjoy the latter’s qualities.

Laurefindil’s first encounter with the drink had been a stormy one. Though Voronwë did warn him and Ecthelion not to take more than a sip, dawn found them kneeling behind the parapet above the Caragdûr, hoping that no one would witness the struggle of two mighty lords emptying their stomachs like green boys.

Clearly, he had thought, he was more responsible now. He would use the drink wisely…

Laurefindil remembered taking the recommended small sip before he slept: once he swallowed it, the world had started to twirl slowly, the colours had faded, the sounds had hushed around him. Then, he fell asleep in a haze. A blissful dream he had seen afterwards, completely devoid of shadows, snow, withering flowers… or Tyelkormo.

Whatever effect the drink had, it must have worn off by now. His next sip should be larger.

“All I want is to get some undisturbed rest,” Laurefindil told himself. “Is that too much to ask? It is too early to be out of bed either way.”

His hands reopened the lowest drawer almost by themselves.

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

The Royal Library of Ondolindë, the third day of Víressë

“Come on!” Erestor gritted his teeth, and prayed to any Vala above for his hand to reach just a little further. “You are the next Lord of the Fountain. You can do this...”

“May I be of any assistance, young lord?”

Erestor almost fell off the ladder when he heard the voice, and looked down to see none other than Counsellor Lómion glancing up at him.

“I...yes, cundunya!” He bowed. “I was trying to reach a book, but I am not tall enough.”

“The ladder is too short. You are not the first to complain.”

Erestor stepped aside on the great wide ladder as Lómion climbed up lithely next to him, his hand stroking the rootlets of the books at the top.

“And which one do we need?”                                              

“The first of the great annals!” Erestor pointed excitedly.

Lómion’s hand abruptly stopped.

“A yearbook? Impressive.”

“Hantanye,” said Erestor, feeling bizarrely self-conscious. “You are very kind, you know.”

“Praise should not spring this easily from your lips, Erestor of the Fountain,” said Lómion. He handed Erestor the book, then turned quickly away, sliding down the ladder.

Erestor followed him as fast as he could, but the Great Library of the King’s Tower still held his gaze. Through seven stories its collection expanded, and each level was furnished with giant bookshelves from floor to ceiling. Erestor and Lómion were now standing on the top level of the library; if they glanced through the windows, they could see snowy mountain-tops in all directions of the compass.

Erestor watched the Counsellor in silence as he packed himself with huge, thick volumes of books and settled below the largest window. He was curious what the other would read, but he didn’t dare ask. Lómion intimidated him in many ways, though he was not without kindness – as Erestor had just witnessed, moments before.

And he immediately witnessed in once more, for the Counsellor patted the chair beside him and said,

“Come and sit with me if you wish. There is enough room for both of us, and annals are heavy; you may need a table to hold it. Also, you might enlighten me why would you care for such a dry read.”

Erestor climbed a few steps, then settled beside Lómion. His armchair was stuffed with cushions, and the desk was wide, and richly carved. There remained enough place indeed for them both.

Erestor opened the annal with great respect, marvelling at its small letters and smaller dates. Every detail was carefully marked, the margins were measured, and the most important details were underlined with red ink.

“I have always wanted to see annals for myself, cundunya,” he said with barely hidden awe. “My mother told me that everything we see or do is noted inside them. Annals hold the greatest knowledge on Arda, and my wish is to delve inside that lore; just once and not more, if that is all that the Valar grant me before I have to go back to the Watch.”

“You will always be welcome here,” said Lómion.

The next hour, they spent with reading. The annal was long and its descriptions winding; and more often than not, Erestor had to rely on Lómion’s explications to understand them. In fact, the counsellor barely even touched the books he had retrieved for his own research, but that did not seem to bother him. Erestor could not remember the last time when someone had been this patient with him, or took this much pleasure in teaching him…

“You are so gracious and wise, cundunya,” he blurted out suddenly, without any previous hint or warning. “Will you be my friend?”

Lómion placed the book on the table with a soft thump. For a few moments, his face remained unreadable, and Erestor felt panic stirring in his guts.

What have I done…? One cannot just pat the nephew of King Turukáno on the shoulder, asking for his friendship!

Yet a sudden, honest smile lighted up Counsellor Lómion’s face.

“I will cherish your friendship,” he said, “and with honour.”

“Truly, cundunya?” Erestor stared at him. “Then the honour is mine!”

“Meldonya,” Lómion corrected him gently. “And yes, truly. I shall be your friend, and protect you from all pitfalls and tumblers of life in court, should you need it. Of course,” he said, lifting the cover of a thick, leather-bound book before him, “I might need to re-read this first.”

“What is that?” Erestor wanted to know.

“The fifteenth volume of our Books of Law,” Lómion showed him. “I must refresh my memory on rules that concern quendi who are – or were – granted passage in our City in times of war and peril. I have a vague feeling I shall need to acquaint myself with their duties and rights before the Great Council this evening. I like to know things precisely.”

Erestor looked at the thick volume that may have held the answer for a question that has been bothering him since the very spring of his childhood.

“Is the whole book about duties and rights, then?”

“Mostly, aye. The fifteenth volume lists all actions necessarily forbidden for the sake of varnassë in our city; and in the meantime, all the íquista we have according to law.”

“And is there something in there that precises...” Erestor swallowed the rest of the sentence. “Ah, never you mind, cundunya.”

“So now I am suddenly cundu again?” Lómion’s dark eyes held his, and Erestor felt as if his newfound friend could see right through him. “What troubles you?”

“I was wondering,” said Erestor, regaining himself, “if there was any law that obliged me to follow the footsteps of my Atar. If my Atar was a guard, must I grow to be a guard as well?”

“I need no book to answer that,” said Lómion. “There is no such law, nor will there ever be one. You are free, Erestor, to learn any lore or craft, as well as to master the art of any weapon you might desire.”

“And,” Erestor said, his voice now barely above whisper, “If Toronar would not allow me to become, for example, a harpist, must I...?”

“No one has power over your choice,” Lómion stated solemnly. “Not even the King. Your Toronar is a noble lord, and not without generosity. I doubt you would have to confront him! Although your eagerness to become a musician might scandalize him as deeply as it astonishes me.”

“I have no such wish,” Erestor smiled. “It was an example.”

“Then what is that you want to learn?”

“Anything that concerns books,” said Erestor. “And parchments. Maybe also languages, and laws, and... any kind of lore that would help me materialize the things I plan... the ideas I have...”

“Ai, young one,” Lómion laughed. Erestor had never heard his laughter before: soft and rueful, yet not without mirth. “I understand your heart’s desire. I, too have ideas – and Valar know, it is the best feeling in this world to make them work! Now, as it happens, I barely see the texts I would have to read, so eagerly do I seek to solve the problem of ladders in here. If we make them any longer, they would become dangerous and no Elf could lift them. We could carve some kind of structure to keep them at place, but we would thus end up building tiny stairs everywhere, blocking half the library’s contents from view.”

Erestor remained silent for a while; then something dawned on him.

“Out in the mountain-lands where I grew up,” he said, “ladders are pushed and pulled along bars of steel that are anchored in the cliffs. Even in the biggest storm, they stick to the bars, as curtains do to the pelmet. If we could build such a structure here...”

With every word he uttered, Lómion’s eyes grew wider and wider.

“...both the ladders and the bars would have to be made of steel, though; maybe decked with wood... do you think that it could work?”

“By the Valar,” said Lómion, “this is the most marvellously excellent idea I have heard since I live here!”

“Truly?” said Erestor with sudden enthusiasm, wondering if Lómion could see the eventual result with his mind’s eye just as clearly as he did.

“Absolutely,” the Counsellor said. “Wait here!”

He came back with a whole pile of parchments in his arms; books of law were set aside as they delved into architecture. Lómion knew what he was looking for, and Erestor was very swift and eager to learn. So deep was their devotion for what they had envisioned that neither of them noticed Anor’s journey on the sky; and they missed the moment when its golden plate sank amongst the icy peaks of the Echoriath as well.

~ § ~

“Lómion?” Said a voice from behind the nearest shelf, after what seemed like barely an hour to Erestor. “Are you in there?”

Lómion gave a start.

“Aye, I am here, Aranya,” he said, “am I late already?”

“Almost,” said King Turukáno as he approached them. “What a great relief to find you, sellonya, after today’s turmoil!”

Lómion raised an eyebrow. “What happened?”

“Well, if you must know,” the King said, not without mirth, “I have spent this morn in the halls of our beloved Great Master Rog. Apparently, that Teler lord, Anardil offended him in some way; and you know Rog when he is offended! Then, I have received a report for investigation: some within our walls have apparently heard screaming last night. Afterwards, I was told that Captain Laurefindil missed duty today, which is most unusual; yet I could not spare the issue enough time or thought while the last preparations for the Council were being finished. And now I have an unstrung Lord Ecthelion pacing back and forth across the palace wherever I go, because his nephew went missing.”

Lómion could not hold his laughter in any longer; and even Erestor managed a smile as he bowed before his King and braced himself to speak.

“I did not go missing, Aranya! I was here with Lómion the whole time.”

“For the Stars of Varda, child! Next time think twice before you disappear!”

“I shall,” Erestor bowed deeply. “Forgive me, Highness.”

“It is your Toronar who must forgive you,” said King Turukáno. In a way, he reminded Erestor of Ecthelion; he was also very tall, dark-haired, wide-shouldered, his eyes piercing grey; his face stern and proud, but not without gentleness. “Now tell me, what were the pair of you doing here all day?”

“Young Erestor came up with a flawless concept on the matter of lengthening ladders,” said Lómion. “I will follow his plans.”

“Our plans, cundunya,” said Erestor. “It was you who made them realizable.”

“Indeed?” said King Turukáno. “How so?”

Erestor told him about the bars of steel; timidly at first, but when the King showed great interest in the plans, he became bolder.

“A sensible idea,” King Turukáno commented when he was acquainted with the entirety of the concept. “All it lacks is a way to make the whole structure comely. Perhaps if we crusted it with silver...”

“A gripping remark!” said Lómion. “Silver it is. Some rubies and sapphires here and there, perhaps – or a few ladders made of diamond?” A smile rushed through his face.

“Too slippery,” said the King, his face utterly solemn.

Erestor watched them in cautious awe, unable to tell if they were jesting.

“As you wish!” Lómion looked at his uncle, a spark of great interest in his dark eyes. “And the Council?”

“We can resume our most enriching conversation about metals and ladders on the morrow,” said King Turukáno, “It would now be best to go.”

“Then go I shall,” said Lómion. Silently, Erestor watched as their plans were set aside, and the Counsellor cast a last glance upon a paragraph in a law-book.

For a moment, he felt a sudden, aching desire to follow his friend and witness the Great Council; and in that same moment, Lómion held his gaze.

“Aranya,” he said. “May I make a suggestion?”

“Always,” the King smiled. “You were not appointed Counsellor for nothing.”

“Then,” said Lómion, “I must tell you that construction is not the only area where young Erestor shows talent. I think it would prove most edifying for him to witness the debate.”

Erestor felt his eyes widen in shock, his lips forming words of protest against this bold statement. But Lómion’s eyes met his once more, and in them shone the silent command: stay still!

“Indeed?” said King Turukáno.

Lómion held his gaze without even blinking.

“I would not ask such a thing from you if I did not see its purpose.”

Erestor’s heart was pounding in his throat. What did he do to deserve Lómion’s attention or the King’s consideration? What did he accomplish to merit his heart’s desire…?

“The Great Council is an event reserved to the Lords of the Twelve Houses and a few honoured guests,” said the King. “I cannot grant such a privilege freely.”

“I have never asked you to give it freely, Aranya!” said Lómion.

The King then turned to Erestor, who could barely hold his commanding gaze.

“Witnessing the Great Council is a reward; and for a reward, one must prove his abilities. Tell me, young lord – how much do you know about the laws of our City?”

Erestor felt a lump in his throat; but Lómion gave him a confident smile and nodded.

“I… I know much, Highness.”

“And about heraldry?”

“Almost everything, Highness!” said Erestor, now much more confident.

“…and how well do you think you could guide Lord Anardil in the maze of our laws and customs while the Council is being held?”

“Perfectly well, Highness!” said Erestor hopefully.

“What a strange chance,” King Turukáno said, laughter in his eyes, “that he would most fervently need someone to guide him this evening! Consider this as my thanks for your library design. What say you?”

Erestor sank to one knee, and said that he was happy to oblige, of course. His uncle had once mentioned something about the Great Council being restricted, and he had seriously warned Erestor to not even try to steal in – and now, there was no need to do so! He was invited by King Turukáno himself.

And the Royal Library was to be refashioned after his design.

§ ~ § ~ §

Meanwhile, in the Captain’s Quarters

“Laurefindil!”

“Fin?”

“Lord Marshal!”

“FIN!!!”

“Captain?”

“Fin, you great oaf! Have you moved to Mandos?!”

Laurefindil. Laurefindil. Laurefindil. The name was hammering in his head like some determined blacksmith, and would not let him be. He tightened the sheets around himself, and groaned disapprovingly.

I was finally about to get a good night’s sleep! Ondolindë is a sealed kingdom, a safe place – why could they not spare me for a few hours? Or is this only another dream?

He would not answer the voices either way.

“Captain! Captain, are you in there?!”

When someone started to bang steadily on his door, Laurefindil could no longer pretend to be deaf. Supporting the weight of his body with a trembling elbow, he rose.

“What in the seventh bloody hell of Angamando is going on out there?!” He bellowed. “Are the guards so dim-witted that they cannot even change the watch without their Captain?!”

Sullen silence followed his outburst; then one of the voices spoke:

“The Great Council has been summoned for this eve, you sack of Orc dung – and according to royal orders, I am to slam Rog’s warhammer right into your door if you do not show up in ten minutes.”

Laurefindil took a deep breath.

“In that case, Lord Warden, forget what I just said. Ten minutes it is.”

“Wise choice!” said Ecthelion’s ringing voice from the other side of the door.

Then, slowly, the meaning of the words ten minutes started to sink in.

O, ill fortune!

O, deadliest curse of Moringotto!

O, cruel mischief of mariners and their gifts!

Gathering the remains of his dignity, Laurefindil stood and moved to his bathe-chamber. After washing his face thoroughly in ice-cold water, his vision cleared and his head hurt a little less. He then dressed, stepping into his favourite leather boots as a final touch. If he was to endure a council meeting this eve, he would at least endure it in the most comfortable way possible.

He was still struggling with the – suddenly very complicated – clasp of his belt, when he heard his friend’s knock on the door.

“Let me in,” Ecthelion’s voice came stifled through the white wood: soft and gentle, and entirely devoid of amusement. “We still have a moment to talk.”

“Later,” said Laurefindil. He swept a heavy green-and-golden cloak around his shoulders, then opened the door to face his friend.

“You seem pale,” said Ecthelion. “Nightmares?”

“Everyone pales next to your radiance, you sack of – diamonds. Fear not for me! I am all right.”

“You are many things, Fin,” said Ecthelion thoughtfully, “including a terrible liar.”


Chapter End Notes

On characters:

Rog is a canon character, mentioned in “The Fall of Gondolin”. I took the liberty to give him the title of “Great Master”. In Tolkien’s writings, he appears as a character of much cruder, harder nature than Elves in general. What we can surely tell is that he was a blacksmith, and a mighty leader of his House.

(also, I hope you like my Turgon! :D)

Quenya (if I left something out, feel free to ask):

cundunya: “my prince”

hantanye: “I thank you”

meldonya: “my [male] friend”

varnassë: “security”

íquistar: most commonly, “requests”, or here: “lawful rights” -> both varnassë and this word are left in Quenya because they are meant to be juridic terms.

sellonya: means something like “sister’s-son”; an endearment of Maeglin that Turgon will sometimes use in the story.

aranya: “my king”

Why Erestor calls Maeglin/Lómion a ‘prince’: This is a (perhaps faulty) imitation of the reverential Quenya speech mode. You may remember that Laurefindil called Maeglin simply “Counsellor”, if anything: he was meant to “thee” Lómion, so he skipped the title. Erestor, on the other hand, was meant to switch in and out of colloquial and reverential speech here rather awkwardly, because he is still a bit uncomfortable with theeing Lómion.

Bats and Werewolves

The Great Council starts, and Anardil shows his true colours.

Read Bats and Werewolves

“Be welcome, Lords of Ondolindë!” the ringing voice of King Turukáno swept through the Great Hall, clear and sharp as a blade. “It is time for our Council to commence.”

“Let the Council begin!” said Princess Idril, who was seated next to her father. Despite its softness, her voice was clearly audible in the whole immensity of the Hall.

King Turukáno rose from his high throne and descended seven marble steps. His long strides were aimed at the pulpit in the middle of the hall, surrounded by wide seats: each of which were reserved to the Twelve Lords, who, until now, had been silently waiting for the King’s leave to enter and sit. Now that the greetings have been voiced, they sat around the table; but it would still take a while before the first speaker could have his word.

Erestor felt Lómion’s hand gripping his shoulder.

“Listen to me,” the Counsellor whispered. “Now is the last moment to change your mind and leave. Do you still feel capable of guiding Lord Anardil through this Council?”

“I would never leave, cundunya,” said Erestor with pride. “The King counts on me!”

“Well said!” Lómion smiled. “In that case, I shall now leave you to him. You will accompany him to that seat, at the far side of the Hall. Facing mine. I will be right there if you need me.”

Erestor nodded.

“And remember, child,” Lómion’s voice made the tip of his ear tingle, “that Lord Anardil is not one of us. He is from outside: and for that reason you shall need to be very careful with him.”

“Is he trying to hurt us?”

“I do not believe so. He is but a mariner, a traveller of distant lands. The King seems to favour him for some reason… and yet, things are often not as simple as they seem. Watch him, Erestor, and learn. And be very courteous.”

“Cousin,” came Princess Idril’s voice from behind, “we need to leave. The King is waiting.”

“We shall,” said Lómion; and looking up, Erestor saw a new kind of light kindling in his eyes.

He greeted Princess Idril with the finest courtesies his mind could suddenly produce. The princess smelled like roses, and Erestor would have been contented with no more than that fragrance: unmoving, oblivious to the passing of time outside his closed eyelids. But Idril only laughed, and ran her fingers through a strand of his hair, and that sensation made Erestor blush.

Lómion was but a ghost in Idril’s light: tall, straight, yet lithe like a willow-tree, his high cheekbones casting a long shadow on his wary face. His eyes were two lightless pools, and his lips were pressed into a thin line, as if he was trying to keep a whole rush of words from a careless escape.

“Let us go,” was all he said at the end. He offered his arm, and Princess Idril took it.

Erestor blinked, trying to chase a stray hair from his eyes. All of a sudden, a terrible sense of foreboding seized his entire fëa, the wild and consuming desire to right some wrong, unseen and unlooked-for, that had been committed just a moment before. Something felt absolutely, terribly wrong with the way prince and princess had looked at each other, with the way they had walked away, with the way their breath mingled in the heavy air of the Great Hall. Something felt wrong with the colourful array of lords rushing indoors, taking their spaces. Something felt wrong with the absence of his Toronar, otherwise so caring and devoted to him.

“You are being impossible,” Erestor mumbled to himself. “Ondolindë is a safe realm – the last one left east of the Sea. There is nothing to worry about. And now your duty is to go and fetch Lord Anardil.”

“I do not quite need fetching, young lord,” said someone behind his back in outrageously accented Quenya. “I appreciate the sentiment, though.”

Erestor turned around, and saw Lord Anardil smiling leniently at him.

“You –,” he choked, “you speak Quenya…?”

“I babble, as Great Master Rog has kindly corrected my assumptions.”

“You let us speak Sindarin all along!”

“I find it strangely endearing,” Anardil confessed. “Especially Lord Salgant. He has a little space between his teeth, and when he says thou and thee, it makes a faint whistling sound. Did you ever notice that? Of course you did not. Thou need to be more perceptive, Erestor of the Foun-teen.”

No gloom or dread could have erased the surprised grin from Erestor’s face that moment; and when Lord Anardil furrowed his brows and ordered him to take care of his mannerz, he burst out laughing – which drew quite a number of disapproving looks on the pair of them as they were heading to the seats.

“I apologise for my carelessness, Lord Anardil,” Erestor swallowed the rest of his mirth, and bowed. “I did not even greet you appropriately.”

“Thank Ulmo you did not,” Anardil sighed. “I always forget that you are such a cold-veined people.”

“Cold-blooded, my lord?” Erestor tried.

“Yes, yes that. Now – King Turucáno said that you shall indulge me in the mysteries of your customs and heraldry.”

Erestor bit the inside of his mouth, lest he’d smile at the pronunciation.

“Gladly,” he said. “Understanding our tongue will help you a lot… may I inquire where did you learn it?”

“You may,” said Anardil, and he leaned back in his seat.

Several moments passed; chairs were pulled around them, legs were treading the shiny marble, people approached, then disappeared from view.

“And would you tell me?” Erestor said shyly.

“I would.” Anardil crossed his legs comfortably and knuckled a bit of dirt off the sleeve of his cloak.

“And… will you?”

“I may,” said Anardil, obviously very pleased with himself, “if you only ask.”

“All right, my lord,” Erestor sighed, a little bit out of his patience, “so where did you learn Quenya?”

“Now we’re getting somewhere!” the Teler laughed. “The answer would be Tirion; many years ago, when the Trees were still alive and blossoming. Your tongue – well, in many ways, it resembles Telerin. The older the dialect gets, the less difference you can spot.”

“Indeed?” Erestor was interested. “And would you teach me… I mean, please, do teach me a few phrases sometime!”

“Anytime,” said Anardil, visibly pleased. Erestor saw that he was admiring the Hall – and the banners of the Twelve Houses of the Gondolindrim that were hung below large windows of painted glass: six from one side and six from the other.

“What do they stand for?” Anardil pointed. “Other than People Whose Toes Thou Shalt Not Tread On, of course.”

Erestor grinned.

“The first one is the King’s,” he said. “Moon, Sun and scarlet heart on a blue-white field.”

“And the others?”

“The next banner is that of The House of the Heavenly Arch. Rainbow, opal and a jewelled boss on a turquoise field. Led by the Treasurer, Lord Egalmoth. Next to that, the House of the Tree; white tree in a deep green field with an iron-studded club and slings, led by Chief Advisor Galdor… and next to that, the banner of the House of the Golden Flower: a flower and the Sun itself, clad in gold in a fresh green field, led by our beloved Captain Laurefindil.”

“He doesn’t look quite dashing this eve, does he?” Anardil remarked. And indeed: the Captain’s face was pale, his strides soldierly and collected. And as ever, he was walking side by side with…

“Next to the Golden Flower,” said Erestor with pride, “the banner of the House of the Fountain: its blazon a silver fountain with diamonds and a flute.”

“Not pompous at all...” Anardil smirked.

“...led by the Warden of the Great Gate, Lord Ecthelion.”

“...possibly the only entertaining person in this hall.”

“Do you find my Toronar entertaining?”

“Quite,” said Anardil, refusing any commentary on the matter. “Now, any other piece of heraldry I should get acquainted with?”

“The House of the Swallow, last in the line. An arrowhead and a fan of feathers, led by the Captain of Marches, Duilin. And then, on the other side: the House of the Harp: a harp, laden with tassels of gold and silver, led by the Lord Salgant.”

“Always in Lómion's heels, that one,” said Anardil. “One would think they are lovers.”

“I think not!” said Erestor.

“…and the next one is the House of the Mole, am I right?” Anardil was drumming on his chin.

“Aye,” Erestor suppressed the desire to snap at him. “Plain black banner of moleskin, and for blazon, a double-bladed axe. Led by cundu Lómion. Then, the House of the Pillar: white pillar in a blood-red field; the House of the Tower of Snow: white tower in a sky-blue shield; also, the House of the Wing: silvery feathers in a light blue field. All these are led by the brave Lord Penlod.* And finally, the House of the Hammer of Wrath: stricken anvil and black iron in a deep red field and a mace, led by Great Master Rog.”

“Oh!” Anardil smiled. “Another entertaining person in the hall.”

“It is said that Great Master Rog is very fearful in his wrath,” said Erestor tentatively.

“That he is, I assure you. The trick is, do not anger him – so, preferably, do not talk, do not swallow and do not blink in his presence.”

Erestor bit his lip. It would have been most unbecoming to laugh out loud; for at the next moment, Lómion stood, and spoke, and his smile was disarming.

“Well met, lords and friends!” he said. “Thank you for coming; the Great Council has begun and we have grave matters to discuss.”

There was a choir of “well met, cundu Lómion”-s, and Erestor caught the glance his uncle sent towards Captain Laurefindil. He saw sadness in it, and deep concern.

He did not even notice him, Erestor!

Something is wrong, Erestor thought; but Ecthelion’s glance wandered off Laurefindil before he could be sure what he saw, and the Council started.

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

Anardil was thoroughly impressed with the scribe. Valar, he was writing fast!

The scribe sat a mere two seats away from him: plume and planchette in hand with a billowing roll of parchment hanging from it, which was becoming entirely covered in his small, elegant tengwar. Anardil cast a glance at his notes every few minutes, realising that instead of writing only ‘mole’ or ‘tree’, he actually had the time to write “First Counsellor Lómion” and “Chief Advisor Galdor” (or F.C.L. and C.A.G. after a few hours, but that seemed impressive as well).

Anardil’s thoughts, however, turned away from the scribe when, after a flow of formal greetings, kundu Lómion introduced the topics of the Council. His speech was clear and elegant, and Anardil had to make a tremendous effort to remember that he was not supposed to let Lómion convince him. The message behind his words was evident: we must remain hidden, undiscovered, closing our gates in front of the world; letting no one in and no one out.

The topic roused interest. Even Ecthelion, who (as far as Anardil could see) held Counsellor Lómion in a particularly low esteem now listened to him most intently; and Lómion told the Council how he had been woken by the Great Eagle Thorondor, who had only granted him two sentences of explanation: I need to speak with King Turukáno. And, The Enemy has been rused.

At this statement, a wave of joyful cheering rose around the table, but it ceased immediately when King Turukáno raised his hand.

“This morning,” he said, “I have been told the whole story, as they recount it beyond our borders. Listen to me closely, Lords of my Court; for never in your lives have you heard such a tale!”

Anardil reclined in his chair and let his shoulders loose, eyes still fixed on the King. His instincts told him to tense, but his fëa knew better. The Council was meant to be long, and he could not let himself waste all of his (quite short) attention span before it came to the interesting part – debate.

And thus Turukáno Nolofinwion, King and Regent of The Hidden City of Ondolindë rose to speech and the white walls of the Great Hall drank eagerly in the deeds of Beren Erchamion and Lúthien Tinúviel, as they were told amongst the Free People of Beleriand a year after they had been done – a tale the silent scribe carefully captured, word by word, in his small orderly hand.

~ § ~

When the King came to the end of his speech, a long, deep silence followed.

“This is like a lay from a lost Age,” Captain Laurefindil said at length, lost in thought and time. His words echoed relentlessly from one white stone wall to another: lost Age, lost Age, lost Age.

“My thoughts exactly!” said Great Master Rog, his firm voice shattering the air in the silent Hall like a bellow. “An Elf-maiden and a mortal Man in the Enemy’s fortress... werewolves and bats... Forgive me my boldness, sire,” he bowed before the King, “but this could not have happened – this is impossible!”

“Highness,” said Lómion smoothly, “I beg for word.”

“Speak!” said the King.

The Counsellor stood: a dark, slender figure against the marble walls.

“Highness,” he said. “Princess Idril,” he went on, in a much softer tone; and in his eyes a pale spark ignited, then went out immediately. “Captain Laurefindil and all my noble lords, hear me now! Did our King not say that this was the tale that the People of Beleriand told of Beren and Lúthien beyond our borders? Did he not precise that this was the account of others on what happened? We must not take it for granted. There should exist an explication for everything, everything that we have heard: it takes time to learn the truth. Surely, on their way to Angamando, they must have encountered terrible beasts that lurk in the Dark Lands. With no doubt, Sauron had attacked them; and I might also say that the lords Tyelkormo and Curufinwë have probably not welcomed the idea of this Quest. Yet, Captain Laurefindil spoke the truth: this is nothing more than a lay of forgotten Ages, an excellent material for bards to work on. What truly matters in this story are not werewolves and bats, but the fact that this mortal Man woke Moringotto from his sleep in his arrogance and folly and stole a treasure that could foment war in Beleriand. That shall foment war in Beleriand, if you ask me! A storm is coming; but together, in peace, within the walls of our City, within our mines and mountains, we shall endure.”

Here we are, Anardil thought. The topic is off the table.

But then, suddenly, something entirely unexpected happened.

“Highness,” said Laurefindil. “May I also have a word?”

“You may,” said the King.

The Captain stood (which made a much more striking effect than the same movement of Lómion before), and shook out his gold-embroidered cloak with a flourish.

“Highness, and my fairest Princess Idril,” he said (earning a bright smile from the princess her cousin did not), “and all of you, my lords and friends, hear me now! The Counsellor is right. These events may, or may not have happened the way they are told in Beleriand. The Eagles shall bring us news, and we shall know everything in time. The Counsellor is right again: Moringotto is awake, and Beleriand is in grave danger. And the Counsellor is right once more: within these walls, we shall endure, whatever may come: another Kinslaying, another war, death or cruel flames. Yet alas! Hear me, Highness, hear me, my Princess, hear me thee, my lords and allies – Counsellor Lómion errs, terribly errs when he says that what matters above all in this story is that we should keep our position and peace. The true question is – when shall we have enough?”

Captain Laurefindil’s voice was suddenly roaring like thunder, and in his gentle blue eyes stirred a furious light.

“…the Last Battle: the deadly one, the Dagor Bragollach, the raging inferno that killed a great part of our people and put their homes to ruin – was it not enough? The death of the Lords Aikanáro and Angaráto – was it not enough? The death of the High King Nolofinwë himself – was it not enough? When did the grief in my heart turn to fury and anguish, I cannot tell. The Evil of Moringotto has cowed my heart, as it cowed us all. But now that my friend and brother-in-heart Findaráto has been savagely killed, I can stay silent no more! Death, death, and a thousand times death to Moringotto and all his scum! No more grief! No more sorrow! We cannot shut our hearts from our people anymore!”

Then, he turned to the King, who spoke not; who only listened thoughtfully.

 

“Highness,” he said, “please, forgive my harsh words. I do not wish to break the laws of our City, for your will, to me, is solid like stone. Nor do I wish to oppose the eventual decision of the Council; and nor do I ignore Lómion’s counsel. Yet, hear me: for I said – and will I say it again –, that we cannot shut our hearts from our people! We cannot let Moringotto and his evil servants slowly eradicate the Lords of the Noldor! Stronger though he might be, he is still afraid of us: this, we know. He hates us with fervency: this, we also know. My King, there must be a way to do something!”

“I agree, and verily!” Lord Ecthelion exclaimed, and there were other sounds of agreement as well.

 Lómion arched his eyebrows.

“Captain,” he said, when the Hall quiesced. “Do you think our King has no sorrow that plagues his heart? Do you think that the deaths of Nolofinwë, Aikanáro, Angaráto, and now, Findaráto left him untouched? Or any of us? Do you think any of us has ever shut his heart to any of our kin?”

“One thing is thought or belief, Counsellor,” said Laurefindil, “and another thing is action. We have our beautiful City, a rich and secure place. Do the Noldor of Hithlum deserve less?”

“Such things are not a matter of deserving,” said Lómion, “but that of possibility. We cannot guide them here swiftly enough – for the Enemy, if he strikes, shall strike very soon.”

“Highness,” Lord Penlod said, “May I speak?”

“Do so,” came the quiet word from the King, who (to Anardil’s dismay) seemed reluctant to voice his own thoughts; who just sat in that richly carved chair of his, and listened to the debate.

“Captain, Lord Counsellor,” the Lord of Three Houses said, “you speak of battle and death and ruin to come; yet we have seen nothing that truly implies their coming. The Enemy still has two Jewels. It is not possible that he wants us to think that his power dwindles? Is it not possible that the glory of Beren and Lúthien was a carefully prepared trap for us all?”

“Highness,” Ecthelion spoke, “may I...?”

King Turukáno made a small gesture with his hand, allowing the Warden of the Gate to rise and speak.

“It is a trap, lords,” said Ecthelion proudly, “there is no doubt. But the trap is not aimed at us – not yet. Moringotto takes great pleasure in making our most valiant ones perish, or even killing them himself. It started with the Great King Finwë, continued with Fëanáro, then Nelyafinwë – though there Moringotto failed miserably –, then came Aikanáro, Angaráto, then his Highness King Nolofinwë and now Findaráto. Findekáno is coming next – it shall not stop, unless we open our heart – and gates – towards our kin!”

“You are the Great Warden of the Gates!” said Counsellor Lómion. “Do you forsake our King’s command, then? We cannot open the gates. We must not risk our own safety, not even for the sake of others! What is the use of a wolf’s teeth if he shan’t bite with them?”

“To let them glint in the light of moon,” said Ecthelion, “and plant fear in the heart of any foe. Tell me in return, what is the use of a sharp sword if rust gnaws at its steel? Who would sing a song about such a blade? Who would count the number of necks it has severed?”

“Would that number thus be changed?” Lómion retorted.

“Enough of wolves and blades and champions and rust!” Great Master Rog broke in, without permission to speak. “You are at a stalemate – we can all see that much, there is no need to sing songs about it! Some of us would act, some of us would wait; and all of us would march to battle without hesitation if that was what it took to defend our own truth. Hear me now, Highness, hear me now, Princess, hear me ye, Lords of Ondolindë! I do not know what to believe. I feel hatred towards Moringotto, distrust towards the Seven Sons and pity towards those of Hithlum, surrounded by death and fire. And yet, revealing ourselves may prove a terrible mistake. What if Moringotto finds us? Trapped among these mountains, our death would be sure.”

“We have been dwelling here for centuries,” said Ecthelion gravely. “We cannot hide forever. One day, Moringotto shall indeed discover us: this is inevitable.”

“Ecthelion,” said Rog in his booming voice. “Are you taking me for a coward?”

“I know better.”

“Very well. Then hear me now: I part Orc-heads from their necks with great pleasure, but above all, I am a craftsman; and I shan’t chase battle and death if there is still an honourable way to evade it. Why not delay disaster while we can?”

“Wise words from a wise lord!” said Lómion. “To seek contact with those of Hithlum, without knowing what truly happened in Angamando would be madness. We must make further investigations with the aid of the Eagles.”

“This takes precious time!” said Laurefindil. “Our only true weapon against Moringotto. He is now unprepared, his vigilance evaded – what a great chance we have! We shan’t have it ever again. If we are to seek contact with our kinsmen, we should seek it now, and without delay.”

“What say you, Chief Advisor?” said King Turukáno.

At that, every face turned towards Lord Galdor, who smoothed the folds of his cloak, and looked around before speaking up.

“Turmoil I see, Highness,” he said. “The tale of Beren and Lúthien is unexemplary, and there might be much more truth in it than we deem. Nevertheless, we must indeed know what really happened! Captain Laurefindil does not err when he says acting could prove successful; yet action is a double-edged sword. Haste breeds fear and most of all, error; and Moringotto knows this. To chase desperate risk would bring evil upon us faster than Vairë weaves! I would not risk letting King Findaráto’s family and friends to the battlefield quite so soon. There is nothing deadlier in this world than love turned to hatred by anguish and pain.”

Anardil saw the glance that Galdor sent towards Lómion when he uttered the last sentence, and he wondered why the Counsellor flinched; but his attention was quickly averted by King Turukáno.

“It seems that the Council has decided to make further investigations about the events in Beleriand,” he said, “and to that, I give my consent. In a month we shall discuss the matter of aiding our kinsmen. Now, if none has more to say on this matter, we shall move on.”

Anardil felt his body moving on its own accord: he stood.

“Your Grace,” he said, in what seemed a very un-Quenya-like phrasing, “I find that I have quite a few comments on this matter. They might not be pleasant, but perhaps useful.”

“We would be all delighted to hear them, Lord Anardil,” said King Turukáno.

Anardil looked around in the immense Hall: the pale and silent sea of faces, the gleaming eyes that were fixed upon him. He did his best not to smile when he saw the look Ecthelion and Laurefindil exchanged when they heard him speak their tongue. Voronwë’s betrayed gaze, however, seemed to burn holes in his back.

Such a sensitive fellow, Anardil thought.

“Counsellor Lómion,” he spoke, “you said that you needed more information. I can give you that.”

The intensity of the attention he received suddenly seemed to increase.

“Sitting in a soft armchair, sipping wine, one might think about the murder of King Fin…rod as some nursery tale,” Anardil said, the sharp sonants of reverential Quenya breaking upon his tongue. “Yet I can tell you that the tales are true: he was lacerated by a werewolf, slowly, piece by piece. This I know, for I was there, and I heard him scream.”

With that, he folded back the sleeves of his tunic, showing raw, purplish black shackle-marks on his wrists.

“I have been imprisoned for only a few months; yet that was enough for a lifetime. There were many thralls, both First-and Secondborn in that fortress. Sauron liked to play his wicked games with us; and I can also confirm most stories about bats and werewolves. You are very welcome to laugh, lords; or you may say that I am still blinded by fear. That is not true; and Sauron’s hand reaches far enough to turn the life of the average traveller into a living hell. Since the Flames, all kinds of order and authority have disappeared from Beleriand! All that remain are some islanded forts, the last ones to stand: Eithel Sirion, Nargothrond, Menegroth, Himring and your Ondo-lindë; and the Isle of Balar in the far South. And you know what is in between? Died out, dried out plains; burned and sacked villages; vile troops of Orcs that grab you by the wrist, strip you of weapons, coin and even smallclothes, then chase you along the wastelands, naked as you were born! One can no longer ride from Nargothrond to the Falas without having to fear for their life. Beleriand has become a vile land, a dangerous land to live. At first, it was Fëanáro who stole my ships, now it is the thralls of Sauron; and by the looks of ‘em, I swear if Fëanáro came back from Mandos and demanded a few other ships, I’d give them full-heartedly and apologise for the delay!”

Anardil saw more than one hidden smirk aimed at him.

“If you ask me, King Turu-káno, my lords,” he said, finally getting the cruel sonants right, “it is now that you should seek contact with your kinsmen. Moringotto is probably still lying upside-down in his chair, trying to figure out what on Arda just happened. Perhaps not even the Seven Sons are in motion. You have a silent and eventless moment – now. You shan’t be having it again. Remember that Orcs these days are used to lonely, helpless wanderers who would rather flee than fight. I am no lord (even though you call me one) and I have little knowledge of politics or diplomacy or warfare; yet even I feel that things cannot go on as they are now.”

“Seldom do we hear such deep wisdom draped in such raw wording,” said Princess Idril suddenly. “I, for one, tend to agree with you, Lord Anardil.”

“We cannot rely immediately on someone not skilled in warfare, however wise their suggestion might seem,” said Lómion.

“He might be a slightly annoying fellow,” said Great Master Rog, “but Lord Anardil does know more about the current state of Beleriand than we do.”

“I believe,” said Ecthelion, “that there is another person in the Hall who knows much about recent happenings. Lord Voronwë has been particularly silent for the last hour; I would much like to hear what he thinks.”

There were sounds of agreement; and Anardil’s heart sank with foreboding.

“First of all, I have questions to Lord Anardil himself,” said Voronwë with fury unhidden, “who told me he was one of King Olwë’s household, yet now he claims to be no lord!”

“Well,” said Anardil, “I might have lied.”

“I might have already noticed that!”

“I feared for my life!” Anardil snapped. “Of course I told you I was someone important! I had to get somewhere safe so I could see my wounds tended and my soul eased a bit after months of cruel torment.”

“And where did you learn Quenya?” Voronwë demanded.

“I have spent some time in Tirion as a painter’s apprentice. I picked it up on the streets, that is all.”

“And the story about the ships?!” Ecthelion and Laurefindil exclaimed in unison with Voronwë.

“That was true: I mourn them to this day. And my parents truly died; and I travelled many lands and saw many things. I have never lied about who I was – only about where I come from. For who would care about a painter’s apprentice who lost some sorry ships and loved ones in the raging conflicts of the past? Who would notice that it was all he had? Who would understand his only need, his sole desire, that of safety and home? Who would care to see such a small Elf safe?”

“From this moment on,” said King Turukáno, “I do.”

“Then, Highness, you could ask yourself another question: are the people of this City by any means better, more important, more valuable than those left behind in Beleriand? Are they your kinsmen or not? For if you consider them as such, it is your duty to aid them!”

Silence stretched in the Great Hall; so long and so deep that it made Anardil’s heart sink. Then finally, when he was already utterly convinced that he had messed everything up with some grievous insult, the King laughed. The sound of his mirth was soft, yet it rang free and clear between the high walls.

“You have been complaining about your lowly state, my friend,” he said, “yet there is no lord who could remind a king about his duty; only a painter’s apprentice.”


Chapter End Notes

*The House of Wing was canonically led by Tuor, and possibly also founded by him. There is no information to be found of it preceding the events in The Fall of Gondolin. But instead of reducing the Houses to eleven, I preferred to give the Eleventh House to Penlod as well – as you might have noticed, I preferably stick to symbolic numbers, just like the 12 Houses, the 7 marble stairs or the 24-24 great windows (not mentioned here).:)

I gave Galdor, Egalmoth, Duilin, Rog and Laurefindil important positions that are not described in ‘The Fall’, ‘The Silm’ or Tolkien’s other works. Ecthelion’s title, however, is full canon, and Lómion is also known to have participated in Turgon’s Council. One thing I believe I haven’t cleared up yet: Laurefindil being Marshal practically means that everyone in the city who belongs to the army in any way responds to him.
Each of these made-up titles is a huge responsibility, and has its own privileges and limits, you will see that in time.

All descriptions of Gondolin heraldry were written with the aid of Tolkien Gateway, and ‘The Fall of Gondolin’.

Anardil’s bad pronunciation is marked by commas, dashes and sometimes Italic.

Telerin is canonically similar to Quenya: “From the viewpoint of the speakers of Quenya (who considered their language the main direct descendant of Common Eldarin), they considered Telerin (a direct descendant of Common Telerin) a “dialect of Quenya”. Telerin was therefore considered a closely related language still largely intelligible.” [as in ‘The War of the Jewels’]

The King's Doom

Ecthelion's pride is hurt (thrice!), and Anardil's fate is decided.

Read The King's Doom

“When in this lifetime,” Ecthelion whispered, “did he learn our tongue?! No, wait… this is no more than a dream! The drunken sort. He could not have just said that.”

“These days,” said Laurefindil, “boundaries between vision and reality are not half as prominent as one could expect.”

Even as he spoke, he had to admit that vision was a very soft word to describe the council’s happenings. At first, he had heard the story of Beren and Lúthien, topped with an all-too detailed account on Findaráto’s murder that made his blood boil. Then words of Tyelkormo’s treachery had come, along with rage and regret. And then, just when he thought things could not get worse, Lord Anardil – or, as his freshly acknowledged lack of title required, simply Anardil – stood and spoke; and he voiced the same disquiet that he felt. The mariner’s grim declarations felt just as ill-boding as Laurefindil’s own recurring dreams; thus, the source of his turmoil was not merely different from Ecthelion’s, but unalliable.

“He speaks and understands Quenya,” his friend seethed, “yet he made me thou and thee like some pompous fool!”

“I fear he may have done some even more outrageous things,” said Laurefindil. “Look at Voronwë!”

The always stern, always quiet and impeccably courteous mariner was practically shaking with rage; and Laurefindil felt a pang of doubt. Was he wrong to agree with Anardil?

He listened intently while the Teler unveiled all the lies he had told them, and held his breath with the rest of the Great Hall when the King was brusquely reminded of his duty as a ruler – then, as everyone else, he also stilled when he heard Anardil laugh. Beside him, Ecthelion was fidgeting; and Laurefindil knew he was fighting the urge to protest.

“You have been complaining about your lowly state, my friend,” King Turukáno then said, “yet there is no lord who could remind a king about his duty; only a painter’s apprentice.”

Silence stretched in the hall again, and from the many eyes fixed on Anardil, few were friendly. Finally, it was Counsellor Lómion who stood and voiced the general discontentment.

“Highness,” he said. “It would be best to spare your good thoughts and attention from this Elf. We have all heard how little his own words of honour mean to him – not to mention that he misguided Lord Voronwë, Captain Laurefindil and the Lord Warden of the Gates himself! Since when do we hold council meetings about the doings of petty liars?”

That was an insult, and a grievous one!

Laurefindil drew a sharp breath, his legs getting ready to lift him; but Ecthelion was swifter.

“My King,” he said, “I have never dreamed that one day, I will agree with Counsellor Lómion – and lo, the day has come! Yet everything that happened, happened out of my own folly. I should have never let this Elf enter our Gates and utilize our kindness.”

“Let him enter or have him killed: this was the choice you had to make, Lord Warden,” said Voronwë sternly. “The fault was mine. I should have discovered I was being lied to. But what was done is now done! We need to solve the problem of here and now. I will accept any sort of punishment you lords seem fit for me as the laws and customs of our realm require.”

“Do the laws and customs of your realm also require to talk about people as if they were not present?” Anardil found his voice. “And what on Arda was that about me being killed?!”

“You never told him about the regulations,” said Chief Advisor Galdor, eyes on Voronwë’s face.

“Not precisely,” said he, “and that was another mistake. I told him that our kingdom was sealed; but I did not inform him about the exact rules, for I did not think they would apply in his case.”

“Whyever would they not?” Counsellor Lómion crossed his arms. “The case of Húrin and Huor was an exception; and it happened against the Council’s wishes, because our King, in his wisdom, deemed otherwise. Keeping secrets is a delicate matter, Lord Voronwë, and I am afraid your friend shall not be as lucky as our mortal guests were.”

“He is no friend of mine,” said Voronwë. “If you care to know, Lord Counsellor, I wished to ask for the consideration of our King. Huor and Húrin, as you are aware, were flown into our City by the mighty Eagles; and so were now we. A liar this Elf might be, but he does not know the way in.”

“And he shall never know the way out, if this Council holds any common sense,” Ecthelion said.

“Why is it that the one time when I decide to be honourable, I receive the most colourful insults I have ever heard?!” Anardil exclaimed. “Yes, o mighty Lords of Ondo-lindë, I have lied: pity enough that one has to lie to claim your attention! Yet it is not for myself that I speak…”

“And there you just lied again!” Said Counsellor Lómion. “You have told us yourself: you wanted to end your misery – to have your saviour’s attention before the others. If you cared about the well-being of anyone else, you would perhaps have let yourself carried away by the Call of Mandos when you noticed a drowning child a few feet away from you! Or an injured soldier, wearied by torture and pain! Yet you only had eyes for yourself: you seized a privilege that was not yours.”

“A privilege that should not even exist!” Anardil shouted back at him; but Lómion’s eyes were dark, furious and terrible, and they seemed to strip him to the core.

“You have no right to decide what should or should not be,” he said. “You broke our laws and deceived us: for that deed, you are named traitor, and a danger to our kingdom. The Council shall now decide of your fate. Do you have anything else to say?”

“I have already said too much,” Anardil sighed. His face remained stern, but his eyes betrayed confusion and fear. “If you name me traitor and throw me off a cliff, my blood is on your hands – and then I will know that the Noldor are indeed no more than slayers of kin! Are these diamond walls built from the wealth of those you have already executed because they told you the truth?”

“You are not helping yourself!” Voronwë exclaimed.

“Why should I? I have my no-friend-of-mine by my side to help me!” Anardil quipped, now openly furious. “You are going to have me murdered because I have hurt your pride. Is that not enough for you, you still have to preach your non-existent wisdom?!”

“ENOUGH!”

Both Laurefindil and Ecthelion gave a start. Never in their waking lives had they – or anyone else – seen Chief Advisor Galdor raising his voice even the slightest; yet now he sprang to his feet, anger sparkling in his eyes.

“Your words are poisonous,” he said. “I feel the work of the Enemy here; you have brought back a shard of evil with you from your journey. But that evil is no part of you, children, nor does it come from within. Let it go! You should never allow anger and fear to cloud your judgement, to make you say or swear things you cannot hold onto. Counsellor Lómion, that regards you as well. One thing is caution, and another thing is misgiving.”

More and more glances wandered towards King Turukáno with every passing moment, but the King remained silent, and he seemed deep in thought.

“Let the Council decide, then,” said Lómion. “The charges are known to all. Are there witnesses who wish to provide us any further information?”

Ten seconds passed in utter silence and stillness.

“If not…,” Lómion began; but suddenly, Voronwë stood.

“I have a right I would like to use,” he said. “As you are aware, my Lords, I am a member of the Small Council, and my word, as I am told, matters to you; for these reasons alone I gather now my courage to beg for the mercy of my kinsman, Turukáno Nolofinwion, King of this City and Protector of this Realm.”

“What?!” Ecthelion whispered, a little bit too loudly.

“And now,” said Voronwë Aranwion, “if you will excuse me.”

He shoved an empty chair out of his way, and almost raced across the immense Hall with his long strides. Even at such speed, it took him half a minute to reach the main entrance, which was shut behind him with a loud bang.

Anardil turned around slowly, staring at the gigantesque ebony door, wrought with cunning jewels of every colour.

“One would think the Council is at loss,” Laurefindil told Ecthelion. “A rare sight.”

“Rarer than most,” his friend nodded. “It is just too much, is it not? The bats and the werewolves; the stolen Silmaril; the betrayal of Tyelkormo and Curufinwë; Sauron’s machinations; and now this impossible Elf... I do not believe that anything else could surprise me toda…. ERESTOR! WHAT IN MANWË’S HOLY NAME ARE YOU DOING IN THIS ROOM?!”

Erestor was there indeed, merely a few seats away from the King. On his left, a scribe was making notes; the seat on his right, however, was empty. Though he had the grace to blush at least, Erestor’s voice was entirely without regret when he said,

“I am executing a royal order, Lord Warden.”

“And since when is my underage nephew qualified to carry out such an important task, if I may inquire?”

Laurefindil had to remind himself that his friend’s pride was being hurt the third time that day, lest he would say something – rebuking Ecthelion just then could have led to unforeseeable consequences.

“He is probably not,” said Erestor with dignity, “yet one would be insane to deny the King’s request when made, and deprive themselves of the honour to witness a Great Council.”

“Any fault young Erestor might have committed today is mine, not his,” said the King, “for he is indeed here at my request.”

Lord Anardil was the only one who did not look at the King, then; his eyes were fixed on either his own boots or the curious shapes on the marble floor, Laurefindil could not be sure. All were waiting for orders, explanations or questions; yet all the King said was,

“I shall honour the request of Voronwë Aranwion, and judge the case of our guest, Anardil myself; therefore, our Council is now dismissed. The tale of Beren and Lúthien, as we have heard it, is no secret: it can be discussed and praised freely by those who find joy in them, for they were remarkable. On the contrary, any action we might take in response to them should be kept in secret until the Council deems otherwise. Our next meeting shall take place after the celebrations of Tarnin Austa, on the first day of the new month. I expect the members of the Small Council in my study tomorrow morning, at first light. For now, everyone is dismissed save for our guest, Anardil. I have spoken.”

Laurefindil stood, following the flood of council members, undisturbed by wary looks and confused whispering. At the doorstep, he looked back, and saw the King stepping near the dazed, lonely figure of Anardil, still encircled by empty chairs, and putting a hand on his shoulder. The Teler gave a start; rays of light danced around in his silver hair as he raised his chin to face the King.

Laurefindil turned back and walked away.

Council meetings are supposed to clear things up, he thought, not to complicate them.

~ § ~

The House of the Fountain, Dining Hall

“This is insane,” Ecthelion slammed his fist on the table, so that the bits of salad gave a small jump in his plate. “Honestly, Fin, I just cannot believe what I saw. This Anardil is probably the most dangerous fellow we have ever seen, and the King does… what exactly? He laughs at his offensive jokes! We have never seen him treat a criminal in such a way before. Like an honoured guest! And…”

“Let us leave it at that,” Laurefindil placed his knife across his empty plate. “A criminal…? Do you truly think Anardil is that dangerous? Why – because he lied? Because he hurt your pride? Because he spoke his mind?”

“Mock me all the way you like,” said Ecthelion icily, “but that Elf is not an honest soul.”

“Not entirely, or perhaps not yet,” Laurefindil agreed. “Nevertheless, when he spoke of Beleriand, he cared about all those villages burned, all those people killed, all those lands laid waste. They have touched his soul. He would have perhaps cried for them if we were not there; but he pulled on the mask of a wearied traveller who is no longer touched by the cruelty of this world. And now, in the Council, he proved – or pretended – to be loud and selfish: a pure opportunist. You think he spoke the truth at last? Well, I think he weaved the web of his lies even further. If I could only know why he is truly here…!”

“The truth, usually, is less complicated than this,” Ecthelion objected.

“Usually, yes. Yet I trust your good judgement: you would have never let evil pass the Gates!”

“You should not trust me this much, Fin.”

“Think of Voronwë, then, and the way he treated this Elf. He is warier than the pair of us combined, and even he tended to genuinely trust Anardil!”

“Curiously enough,” Ecthelion sighed. “Everyone makes mistakes, Fin; and there is something exceptionally disarming in this Elf. I wonder what the King shall do to him.”

“So do I,” said Laurefindil. “A mystery even greater than the case of young Erestor.”

“It seems that he wants to be a scholar, you know.”

“Well, that is a good thing, is it not?”

“I am not so sure!” Ecthelion shifted in his seat. “I want him to learn how to take care of himself. How to defend himself.”

Laurefindil smiled. “In some wars, one may find that a quill is sharper than any blade.”

“True enough; but first and foremost, I want to protect Erestor from Lómion; and becoming a scholar will not help with that.”

Laurefindil eyed his friend.

“I swore to evade this terrain,” he said warily, “but are you aware of the extent of your hostility towards Lómion? It is becoming palpable, and I am sure he is starting to feel it as well. You have no… no public reason to treat him this way, Ecthelion. Be careful, if you do not want him to guess the reason.”

“There is nothing to guess,” Ecthelion said, enunciating every word with accurate precision.

“I know what Itarillë meant to you, and…”

“You do not,” his friend barked, “and that is my last word!”

Laurefindil looked up to meet Ecthelion’s eyes – tired and empty –, then slowly, he nodded.

“Perhaps that would be best,” he said. “I should be on duty in any case. Thank you and your household for the lunch – it was excellent, as always.”

He stood, shook out his cloak with an elegant flourish, and made his way to the door. Ecthelion, however, grabbed the handle before he could have reached it.

“There is no need to see me out,” said Laurefindil.

“I am surprised that you would leave so soon,” said Ecthelion. “Was I crude to you?”

“Not particularly,” Laurefindil smiled. “I am quite aware of the rhetoric behind your soft rebukes… yet you were right. This is definitely not the best moment to dwell on such matters. I should not have brought it up.”

“It matters not,” Ecthelion squeezed his shoulder. “I wanted to talk to you about unpleasant things as well.”

“Aye, and since you know me as well as you know yourself, you might have already guessed that this is the very thing I am now trying to avoid.”

Laurefindil’s voice was casual, even playful; and his friend pretended he did not even notice the warning that lingered behind it.

“I do not remember the last time you have overslept. You would have missed the whole Council if I had not knocked on your door!”

“Thankfully enough, you did,” said Laurefindil curtly.

“You are not yourself since you began seeing these dreams! You seem far more… distant… than you used to be. Your eyes wander beyond the world one can see. I think that these visions are starting to rule your entire life.”

“No; not really,” Laurefindil sighed. “In truth, I have – well, I helped myself to sleep last eve, and the method proved a little bit too effective. As for the dreams, I wish they would go away! They are an unsolvable puzzle: parts of a great whole I shall never fully see or comprehend.”

“Parts of a great whole…,” Ecthelion muttered. “Interesting.”

“Why so?”

“If your dreams are incomplete, that raises the question where the missing parts could be. In the back of your mind, waiting to be seen? Or are others seeing them, struggling with an equal sense of scantiness? Both options are equally interesting – and worrisome.”

“You care more about these dreams than I do,” said Laurefindil. “They might be mere products of my imagination for all we know. And now, duty calls! We shall meet again at the small council; and I would dearly like to spar with you afterwards.”

“It would both please and honour me,” said Ecthelion; and Laurefindil felt the warmth of fondness spreading in his chest upon hearing his friend’s lofty speech.

And yet their words of farewell were collected, and formal.

Far more formal than a good-bye of two lifelong friends should be, Laurefindil thought.

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

Meanwhile in King Turukáno’s study

The first things Anardil spotted were the colours: a rich palette of blue, white, and golden, from the cleanest, palest tinges to the deepest shades. The King’s hand was still resting on his shoulder; its touch no longer a grip, but mere guidance through stairs and doorsteps still unknown to him.

The study was bright and spacious with a large desk in the middle, tall windows of painted glass around the walls, and a slender balcony door in the far end of the room; and by the time his eyes could take in these surroundings, Anardil’s fear transformed into mute acceptance.

I am no coward, some proud, dignified (and previously unknown) dimension of his conscience insisted. I can accept my fate, whatever it is.

The first momentum of Anardil’s curious fate consisted of King Turukáno letting his shoulder go, gesturing towards the luxurious armchair that faced his desk, and asking,

“Red or white wine?”

“I… what?” Anardil blurted out most ungracefully. “I mean – excuse me, your Majesty?”

In Quenya, the title had a strange, alien ring to it; and the King’s gaze softened a little.

“I took the courage,” he said, “to inquire about your preference in wine. Red or white?”

“Well, er, white,” Anardil stuttered. He allowed himself a glance at the King: he did not look quite like a tyrant who would execute him. Truth be told, he did not look like a tryant at all, and a murderer even less.

Yet neither had Fëanáro!

King Turukáno stepped over to some far corner of the room, then came back with a bottle of wine and two goblets wrought with diamonds. He sat down at the other side of the desk, filled them himself, and leaned back with ease.

“Be welcome in my halls, Anardil of the Falmari,” he said with a quizzical smile, and raised his goblet. “May your stay, long or short, be pleasant here.”

He is trying to unsettle me, Anardil decided, refusing to acknowledge that he was already far too unsettled.

“I must thank you for your hospitality, Highness,” he said, mirroring the gesture, “for it is most remarkable.”

“I am glad to hear that.”

King Turukáno took a generous sip of wine, then placed his goblet on the table, and looked him straight in the eye. Anardil steeled every bit of his consciousness against the flood of questions to come.

“Do you know why you are here, Anardil of the Falmari?”

“You are to judge me.”

“The Council was to judge you; and they did not seem willing to vote in your favour. You angered them beyond measure! Did Voronwë not tell you about the ways of law in my kingdom?”

“He refused to speak about the place he was taking me at,” Anardil shrugged. “And I did not insist. It made lying easier, for if I ever asked anything, he asked me back. That is how it went between us: a question for a question, an answer for an answer. Trap questions and half-answers, you might say.”

“I see,” said the King. “Let us play the same game, then! The only hardship I shall weigh on you is that if I catch you lying, you die.”

Anardil had never heard a death threat voiced with such flawless elegance, such exuberant courtesy before.

“…and what if I catch you lying? Highness?”

The King raised his brows.

 “Then, I shall give you my crown and kneel before you; and the Seas will rise, the world will change; the Valar shall come and chase Moringotto out to the blackest Void; and we will all greet the new dawn with thunderous applause.”

“I hope I will, then,” said Anardil, bewildered.

He heard a pang of sharpened steel; and King Turukáno placed a pale, softly gleaming longsword on the table between them.

“This is Nambegotto,” he said. “May he stay between us while we play our game.”

“So be it,” said Anardil, letting a long-caught breath escape his lungs.

“After you, then.”

Anardil suddenly felt like he had lost the ability to form coherent sentences.

“…Highness, why did you suddenly dismiss the Council? And why did Voronwë ask you to judge me personally? Do I have more chance for your mercy this way?”

Or perhaps less?

“You asked me three questions at once,” said King Turukáno, “yet for this one time, you shall have all the answers. I dismissed the Council because tempers were rising; and anger smothers reason, which is most undesirable. Voronwë asking for my personal consideration – and mercy – in your case means that you shall be judged outside the frames of public discussion. If that will help or hinder you, I cannot yet tell.”

“Very reassuring,” Anardil sighed. “And tell me, Highness…,” he tensed, shook his head, swallowed the rest of the question. “No, wait. Your turn.”

The King tilted his head, watching him intensely.

“Do you think that the charges of the Council were unjust?”

“Yes and no,” said Anardil. “I did lie about who I was, and I understand how grave of a fault that must seem to them; though ashamed as I might sometimes feel of it, it did feel necessary. However… Counsellor Lómion called me a traitor and a danger to this city, which I find most insulting. How could I be a danger to any of you? I could not hurt a fly!”

“You might forgive me if I refuse to believe that,” said King Turukáno.

“That is either most flattering or terribly offensive to hear, Highness,” Anardil allowed himself a smile. “I cannot yet decide. Now tell me, o King, about those famous rules of your city.”

“Ondolindë has six gates, and neither of them is easy to enter,” came the answer, calm and collected. “They are well hidden, and heavily guarded. The easiest way inside is to fly, as you have done, until you reached the Gate of Silver; in such a case, guests are welcomed by Lord Ecthelion, then myself. Ecthelion did not tell you the rules, for there was no need. You came here upon the wings of Eagles; and never in your waking life shall you pass my Gates again.”

“Well, that was swift enough for a judgement,” said Anardil, constricted.

“No judgement was spoken yet,” said the King smoothly, “only law. This kingdom is sealed: once you came in, there is no way out. Did Voronwë not tell you so?”

“He did,” said Anardil, “though he spoke of a case of exception, also; and so I went along with my lie. Voronwë did not tell me how and why the exception in question occurred, so I was left to wonder. I hoped that Lord Anardil could have what I could not.”

“Tell me about your captivity and escape,” said King Turukáno.

That is a story not worth telling, Anardil wanted to say; but the gleam of Nambegotto was cold and sharp, and he could almost feel the bite of steel on his skin.

“I was certain that I would die,” he said. “King Finrod… he was there. And Beren, that adan was there, too, and so were their companions. I saw them between the bars of my cell sometimes… and heard them, too. The walls were very thin for a prison. Every day a werewolf came and ate one of them, until finally, only Beren and the king remained. That day, the lash split across my back when the Orcs beat me. They blamed me for the loss of their favourite toy, and that angered them; so they stripped me. Not that I was well dressed before, but they stripped me completely; then they dragged me and another ellon along to that other cell. They made me watch as the wolf – well, the wolf did what a wolf was supposed to do. I think they even starved that beast so it would attack the King all the more furiously. It was horrible, I still retch when I think of it sometimes. But then… then she came, and freed us, and the walls crumbled; or perhaps I only dreamed that. Someone cut the ropes and dragged me on my feet.”

“The next thing I remember is running downhill, out of that accursed fortress, leading everyone and anyone who could walk. We knew Sauron was going to hunt for us, and all we wished for was a square meal and safety. Some of us reached the river, into which I fell; I tried to swim but my strength failed me. I grabbed hold of a piece of driftwood, and travelled along the river, until lo! I saw a ship, and Voronwë on the decks. So I cried for help. Orcs ambushed us, arrows were flying everywhere; and I knew there were many others who begged for salvation. Then, a terrible sense of dread came over me Highness; I did not want to lose my life just then and there! I cried that I was one of King Olwë’s household, one of wealth, one of importance; strong arms grabbed me to pull me out of the water, and my eyes saw no more. When I woke, Voronwë was tending to my wounds.” Anardil sighed. “Are you going to punish him for bringing me here?”

“I may not,” said King Turukáno. “Now tell me in return, for I am most curious: why did you confess?”

“My manners – or the lack of them – betrayed me most cruelly,” said Anardil. “Otherwise, it merely felt the right thing to do. I could not live with such a lie, and I was hoping to get the Council’s attention by such a revelation… which I did, in the end, although not in the way I had intended. I am at fault, Highness, I can see that now; but I never wanted to do you harm. I hate the Dark One and his creations as much as the next quend. I would be happy to see his downfall!”

Their game of questions and answers was entirely forgotten as King Turukáno leaned over the table, the gleaming steel of his longsword painting curious reflections on his skin.

“Your lie still seems entirely unnecessary to me,” he said. “You would have been saved and treated with respect in any case. What happened in those prison cells that made you feel so unworthy of care?”

“A great many things,” said Anardil. Suddenly, his mouth went dry, and he had to fight back a wave of unwanted memories. “I cannot tell you right now, not yet. Torture… it strips you of everything you ever were. Highness. The eyes of Sauron sees under your skin, through your flesh; they see inside you. And once you are stripped of willpower and dignity, you become his puppet. I saw it happen. People start to do unnecessary things, like lying; and then they…”

Anardil’s eyes widened in confusion and shock.

“I did not mean to…!” He said. “It is just so hard… so hard to be normal again.”

“Being normal is entirely too hard,” said King Turukáno. “Sometimes bordering impossible.”

“I never wanted to cause so much trouble,” Anardil whispered miserably. “I was merely afraid, more than you could ever understand. When I was a captive, I could bear the torment of it; but now that it is over, the smallest possibility of it ever happening again… it terrifies me! The shadow of pain long gone shall ever linger in my heart; and I will never be free of my nightmares again.”

“So you had wished for a place to live peacefully, untouched by the perils of the world,” said the King, “yet also freely, for you are a traveller; and the challenges of the unknown tempt you from time to time. You had wished for a new life, far from war and suffering. To chase those dreams, you felt obliged to lie; and that lie gnawed at you until today. You finally chose to reveal it, unready as you were to face the consequences; for the memories of your torment are vivid still.”

Anardil nodded, suddenly feeling quite numb.

“Peace and safety were everything I wanted indeed,” he said, “and I was ready to lie for them. That, I shall not deny; nor will I deny that I still long for such things. Highness, I accept any sort of punishment you deem fit, only… have mercy, and do not put me into prison. Never to prison, I beg you! I would rather be cast into an abyss, or shot with an arrow, or beheaded, or… well, anything else.”

King Turukáno remained silent for a while. He looked at Anardil intently; then, his eyes wandered off towards the walls, the windows, the gemstones on his chalice.

 And then suddenly, he leaned back in his chair.

“My judgement is made,” he said. “Hear me now, Anardil of the Falmari! No living soul who passes the Oroquilta and sees my Gates may ever leave again while this Kingdom stands, or until Moringotto is defeated. Therefore, freed you shall not be, and pass the Gates you shall not. Your life and freedom I spare, with the sole exception that you must remain in this city. You will have a home to dwell in; garments to wear; wealth for a year to start your new life. May you find the peace and safety that you so desire, in the fair valley of Tumladen. May no dread or shadow haunt you! May no enemy find you! I, Turukáno Ñolofinwion, King of Ondolindë and Protector of the Hidden Realm have spoken, and thus my words are sealed.”

Silence fell on the room; Anardil could hear a bird singing faintly in the distance. Bright sunlight was filtering through the windows, painting tiny rainbows upon the desk between them.

“This…,” when Anardil finally found his voice, it was crooked, and tears were welling in his eyes. “There is punishment in this, and you know it.”

“Indeed.”

“How could I ever be worthy of this?” Anardil cried out, shaken. “Me, a liar, a thrall – and a painter’s apprentice!”

“If there is any hardship in my doom, it lies within your own self,” said the King. His king. “I would not have rewarded your future deeds if I did not see them coming, Anardil of Ondolindë. As a dweller of my city and my subject, at least respect my insight and consideration until you learn to trust it.”

“Yes, Highness,” said Anardil with sudden peace.

“See?” King Turukáno stood, and gestured for him to follow. “You are learning.”

Together, they stepped out to the King’s balcony. Looking down, Anardil could see the green valley of Tumladen in the icy embrace of the Encircling Mountains, and the white-silvery gleam of the Hidden City, buzzing with life.

“What a wondrous place,” he said. “Untouched by death and peril. One’s heart feels lighter here.”

“Beautiful it is,” said King Turukáno, “yet against all odds, I fear for it. The mountains are high, and the peaks icy cold… and all flowers shall wither.”

Anardil drew a sharp breath.

He had heard those words before.


Chapter End Notes

There are two self-made Quenya translations in this chapter:

(1) ‘Oroquilta’ for Encircling Mountains (Sindarin: Echoriath)

(2) ‘Nambegotto’ for ‘Glamdring’ (Sindarin) [foe-hammer]. The construction of the name ‘Nambegotto’ was based on that of ‘Moringotto’; the literal, extended translation should be something like “Namba ñgothova” [hammer-of-foe].

Also – as in the previous chapter – Anardil’s bad Quenya is sometimes enunciated with commas, dashes and italic.

The ‘Falmari’ [literal: ‘wave-folk’] is the Quenya name for Sea-Elves (mostly Teleri)

The Crows Are Screaming

Tyelcano seeks the meaning of his dreams; and prevents another disaster from striking.

Read The Crows Are Screaming

Dream 2/467/82

Wounded. Three holes on chainmail: two on the right, one on the left, close to the heart. Feels like hell. One boot missing from feet. Pounding head. Blood loss.

I cry out. Raspy voice, throat burns. Sword is missing. I grab a knife, the length of which is unfamiliar. Never owned a knife like that.

Crows all around, watching with hungry eyes. Waiting for me to die so they could have their feast.

Steps are coming, closing in. I am being tracked down. I am wanted alive – elsewise, I would be dead already.

Blurred mind. Strange colours, and things that could not possibly be there. Strange emblems: perhaps a tree among them, if Dream 2/476/46 can be trusted. It could just as well be a ladder, though, or a barred gate.

Something gleams. Could be a helmet, lance or longsword.

Falling. Darkness.

Dream 2/467/83

I crawl on blood-steeped soil. Misty plains, snowy mountain-peaks in the distance. And I hear the Voice. “All flowers shall wither,” and so forth.

Wounded again. Three holes on chainmail: two on the right, one on the left. Close to the heart. My head is pounding.

I am being followed, and all I can do is crawl.

(Crows).

My wounds are deadly, and still I go on. Why is it so important to go on in these dreams?

Dream 2/467/84

My hands are bound, and I am being carried through a narrow passageway. Blood. Pain. Voices above me, language indiscernible, although highly familiar.

“Hideous creatures lurk in the walls,” says the Voice, “and he flees from them, draping himself into the canvas that is the night. But he who walks in starlight does not flinch; he hides in caves and near breaches and behind rocks, and on he wanders, and on he wanders, but a dead end awaits. The gates are closed; and all flowers shall wither.”

NOTE: Incoherency, as in: there is no passageway without a gate at its end. If I am carried through, that means I have already passed the gates.

NOTE 2: Since Dream 2/467/72, the Light is entirely missing from my dreams.

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

Himring, FA 467, the ninth day of Víressë

Counsellor Tyelcano dipped his quill into red ink for once instead of black. There was no sound in the library, other than the soft scratching of his quill over paper.

Many words became bracketed, and many others were underlined with neat, red lines. Later, several brackets duplicated and some lines were highlighted; then, new pages were filled; and then came the brackets again. By the time Tyelcano put the quill down to contemplate his work, the moon had disappeared from the skies outside, and the reddish tinges of dawn tainted the greying darkness in the East.

Of the thick, leather-bound notebook the Counsellor used to keep record on his wandering dreams, only a handful of pages were now empty. The last time he had wasted such a length of his precious book on describing nightmares was during the siege of Himring in the Dagor Bragollach, when Lord Maedhros had disappeared for a month, and he kept dreaming that the Enemy held him again in chains. This particular writing, though, was no mere account, but an extensive analysis.

On the first eight pages, Tyelcano had described possible courses of his recurring nightmare, sewn together from the shards of his dreams; and the three following pages were filled with two major scenarios in accordance with whom the dreams have evolved. Tyelcano named these ‘I. Light Comes’ and ‘II. Darkness Falls’.

The next pages contained a list of elements and the rate of their appearance. The most frequent ones were ‘enemy’ [84], ‘darkness’ [82], ‘fog’ [79], ‘Voice’ [77] and ‘wounded’ [72]. The combination of ‘fog’, ‘enemy’ and ‘wounded’ appeared almost everywhere, and wherever ‘Light’ was featured, one could also find ‘Voice’, ‘enemy’ and ‘darkness’.

As time went by and pages were filled, Tyelcano saw connections, intertwined scenarios, mutually dependent items. He had finally broken down his visions to something he could understand: a complex chart of logical, sortable elements… Yet no matter how many times he calculated the probability of this or that scenario appearing in predictable sequences, the fortress of his dreams still stood impenetrable against his rebelling consciousness.

After more than two hours of fruitless work, Tyelcano dropped his quill in frustration, desperate enough to find the only existing book that could help him.

It truly was a last resort, though; and he still felt reluctant to do so.

This room is spacious, he thought. I would probably not even find it. To ask Lord Nelyo if we still have it would be a shame I cannot allow to bring upon my head.

“If you leave now,” he whispered softly, as if to convince himself, “you will never ask for it. And then you will never know. It is the fourth hour of the day, and no one is around. No one will ever find out.”

It matters not, Tyelcano decided. The word ‘pride’ did not, could not have any meaning to him.

These dreams pervade my thoughts and I dwell on them, wasting precious time I could spend on the matters of Himlad and our household. I am needed here – sane and whole.

Thus having steeled himself, Tyelcano grabbed his beloved lantern, and disappeared in the far end of the library. The lantern had been a gift from Fëanáro himself, for the occasion of his begetting day – either the three-hundred-and-forty-fifth or the three-thousand-three-hundred-and-seventieth one, depending on how one chose to count.

To the lay mind, it was no more than a large, blue crystal hanging in a delicate chain net; and yet, either by the unmatched skill of its maker or by raw magic, it shone from within its centre, in which a small flame was captured. The lantern’s light was clear and radiant; it enticed, beguiled Tyelcano’s eyes, and at once, the shadows dancing on the walls sprang to living.

Tyelcano saw the gleam of Fëanáro’s eyes and the cup of wine they had raised in the silent depths of a smithy; then a long and ceremonious feast Aran Finwë had insisted to host on his who-knows-which begetting day; Fëanáro standing with his arms crossed, terribly amused as his beloved tutor was made to drink, drink and drink to his own health; the unearthly gleam of Tirion’s towers; the sound of trumpets greeting both a new dawn and a new year in the life of the King’s most trusted advisor; the fresh scent of paper as he worded the Laws of the Noldor; Nelyafinwë, Kanafinwë then all the others being born; little Findekáno leaving fingerprints on a pile of freshly sealed letters and little Turukáno trying to cover them with paint; tears, laughter and strife; Fëanáro and Nolofinwë facing each other from the two separate ends of a sword; Nelyafinwë admitting in a hollow voice that he had not spoken to Findekáno since they had departed from Tirion…

Telperion and Laurelin dying, shadows descending on the Blessed Realm…

Aran Finwë, eyes hollow and glassy, gazing to nothingness…

Fire rising above Losgar, the song of the flames singing in horrid harmony with the wails of the dying and wounded…

Fëanáro dissolving into a pile of ash…

Nelyafinwë lying on what could have been his deathbed, ribs poking out from beneath bruised, paper-thin skin; trapped in the agony of living death…

Tyelcano stopped abruptly in front of the last shelf and steeled his willpower.

Never dwell on the past.  Your memory reaches too far.

He turned his attention on the bookcase before him and clicked its door open, the blue hue of his lantern dancing around threadbare, sour-smelling volumes. Old as these books were, their value was questionable; the only reason Tyelcano would not use them as kindling in his hearth was that he instinctively warranted books a certain amount of respect. Most of them were copies of annals, outdated maps and inaccurate reports; yet there were also a few chunks of bawdy poetry hidden behind them, as a collection of sickeningly sweet love stories and other strange accounts – like the one he now sought.

The book was lying precisely where then-prince, now-High King Findekáno had left it with a laugh: a pile of yellowed paper, held within its cover by the will of the Valar alone, or so it seemed.

Tyelcano braced himself, and took it; then settled back behind his favourite desks.

The Nature o’ Visions, the cover read in archaic Sindarin, and How to Unriddle Them. Penned by Teithion, son of Gwaenor in the Seventy-fifth Year of the Great Shadow.

Tyelcano had no idea what the Moriquendi would call the Years of the Great Shadow; he guessed that the book had been brought as a gift to the Feast of Reuniting, then everyone forgot about it. Not that he was surprised – the Noldor were lore-masters, craftsmen and seekers of truth. By no means would they believe that nightmares held any meaning apart from the manifestation of underlying sorrows plaguing the dreamer. The only such power they recognized was foresight; and while Tyelcano himself was not gifted with it, he knew that it had little to do with actual dreams.

Yet here he was, at the mercy of Woodelven lore, running through pages and pages of dream-readings. Apparently, picking flowers meant that the dreamer was about to wed a fair maiden soon; and looking at growing moss meant slow progress on an important matter. Tyelcano shook his head with an exasperated sigh. Did he truly think that a book of eloquently worded nonsense would help him?

“Crow,” he read aloud. “Always a symbol of failure and death. Crows, cawing: foretells the loss of a loved one, or upcoming ill news.”

They would not stay silent.

“If the crow flies close to you, that is a sign of approaching death or deadly danger.”

They were about to feast on me.

“Mist: an obscured landscape foretells tribulations and likely failures in the future. And mountains: they mean tasks and missions. Snowy peaks in the distance: you aim too high; you may have quarrels with a superior...”

Now that is clearly worse than death!

“To descend from a rocky mountain: small success – maybe I shall survive the quarrel, then. And blood: foretells a long and grave illness… Blood flowing from a wound is an announcement of sorrows and afflictions, an unhappy love affair or a dispute with a valued friend.”

So I am now to be involved in love affairs, albeit unhappy ones.

“Blood-soaked clothes: you have enemies envying your titles: you should be wary of new friendships.”

Tyelcano felt a very uncomfortable pang in the pit of his stomach.

“Being chased in a dream means fear of confrontation. If you turn around and confront your pursuer, the torment of dreams may end. If the pursuer is at your heels, the source of frustration is not going to go away by itself.”

Would it be too much to ask to dream of sunny green fields, horses running in the sunset or the lights of Tirion?

“Standing in front of a gate means upcoming debates, or the start of a new period in the dreamer’s life.”

Tyelcano took his quill with a sigh, and copied each one of these meanings in his book, including page numbers, references and footnotes.

By then, soft light filtered into the library; and when he took a break from his work to open a window, the faintest morning breeze brought him a promise of spring – and the song of a lyre. To Tyelcano’s delight, the sound was approaching. Careful not to disturb the musician, he left the window-sill and settled back behind his desk, slightly turning his armchair towards the incoming fresh air.

Tyelcano’s new position proved excellent to observe as Celegorm slid through the open window, instrument in hand. They had not seen each other for three days; and the memory of their last meeting crushed down between them as a wall of iron.

“Good morn to you, lordship,” said Tyelcano coolly. “I am glad to see that your instinctive good manners are returning.”

 “Good morn, Counsellor,” said Celegorm. “You must excuse me. My thoughts are… wandering lately.”

“Then do not let them loose,” Tyelcano nodded, a bit more reservedly than he felt in his heart. Clearly, he was still furious with both Celegorm and Curufin; but that did not erase his love for them.

 “May I ask, why the instrument…?” He quipped, lest he would unleash the thunderstorm of chiding he had in mind. Lord Tyelkormo was no longer a child, after all, and nor were any of his brothers.

“I am no match for Kano,” Celegorm offered with a thin smile, “but I have something in mind. I hope you will hear it soon.”

“As do I,” said Tyelcano.

Celegorm was still holding the lyre, shifting his weight from one leg to the other in discomfort. The last time Tyelcano saw him doing this, the lord did not reach higher than his elbow.

“What is it that you are writing, Counsellor?”

“This…,” Tyelcano shut The Nature o’ Visions with a swift, fluid motion, and clicked the lid of the inkwell, “is an important report, one that I must show Lord Nelyo this evening.”

 “I see,” Celegorm nodded. He pulled a chair to the other side of Tyelcano’s desk so they would face each other, eyes shining so bright that one could drown in them. “Listen, Counsellor. I know that you are angry, and rightfully so. But you must hear me out. It would have been best to speak before our… well, our trial, but I dare hope that it is not entirely too late. We still have about three hours before Curvo leaves.”

“Leaves?” Tyelcano grabbed hold of the desk, lest he would swing right backwards. “Are you telling me that your lord brother would rather choose exile than absolution?”

“We already are in exile,” said Celegorm, “and I assure you, he would rather fight a dragon with his fists alone than be pardoned and pitied.”

“Lord Nelyo did not tell me about this,” said Tyelcano cautiously.

“He pretends that it is not about to happen; but our brother will leave if we do nothing! Which is why I am now asking for your help… well, in fact, I have a question for you.”

“If your father heard you speak in such mazy words, he would knock your head with an anvil!” Tyelcano said. “Say what you will, and swiftly, if time is indeed as short as you claim.”

“Well – is it an assault if you were not the first to draw your sword?”

“That,” said Tyelcano slowly, “depends highly on context; but I would rather call it self-defence.”

“My thoughts exactly!” Celegorm crossed his arms tight against his chest. “Well… let us say that there are two allied… people. One of them is attacked and brought to the ground, and seeing this, the other attacks as well, enraged. What is that?”

“Camaraderie…?”

“And if it is one’s brother who falls on the ground, threatened with death – which, in this particular case, would be Curvo…”

The Nature o’ Visions fell from Tyelcano’s lap. Its rootlet hit the ground with a loud knock, and the book opened up at “crow”, “crown” and “cruelty” – but the Counsellor could not care less.

“Turcafinwë, what is it that you still not have told us?!”

“A few weeks after we left Nargothrond,” said Celegorm, “wind rose in the East. We were riding north after everything that befell us. We raced along the wastelands, fast as our horses could get; and it happened thus that we came upon the daughter of Melian and her lover again. I shan’t say their names; for I have cursed them under cloud and skies as a farewell, cursed them to the last days of Arda. I have not felt such hatred since Atar died.”

“Yet we met them nevertheless; and we thought we would try, for the last time, to escort the witch back to the woodlands of Doriath. As little as it might mean, I give you my word that that time, such was my sole intention; though I must admit there was vengeance in it. Thus, my brother rode forward when we saw them, his lance across his chest. Hunters use that trick as a means of defence; and yet the Man sprang forward and kicked him from the saddle. As I rode upon them, all I saw was my brother, my flesh and blood lying in the dust, strangled, on the brink of death. I came upon that Man, wounded him… and I wanted to kill him, Counsellor, for he took everything from me! I could have torn him, shredded him to pieces. Yet I did not; for the witch turned my Huan, my faithful Huan, my terrible Huan against me, his own master; and I had to lie down, soundless, motionless, while that monstrous Man still had his hands around my brother’s neck!”

“Is that why I have not seen Lord Curvo without a high collar since you came here?” Tyelcano blinked.

“Quite so. Back in the Marshes, dirt hid the marks well enough; yet beneath the cloth, his colours put the birds of Valinórë to shame.”

Tyelcano shook his head. “What happened then?”

“The witch decided that she would grant us mercy,” Celegorm shrugged. “And the hideous pair went on their way; but they stripped us of our weapons first. They took my brother’s knife, my sword and lance, a scimitar we had found on the road… the witch let me guard my bow and a few arrows so we would not starve on the road; yet we still did. The Man did not murder my brother, and for that much, I am thankful; yet it angers me that he only let him live out of scornful amusement. The world now treats us as criminals and murderers – yet I tell you, Counsellor, the witch and her thrall are no better. And ‘tis us who are labelled kidnappers and rogues!”

Tyelcano gave Celegorm a long, wary look. “Well, you are no paragons of innocence, either.”

“True. We have lied, and we have wronged you. We have been punished for it… and now it is over. We will not lie again.”

“How do I know that you are not lying right now?” Tyelcano crossed his arms. “That you are not trying to bend the facts your own way? I was not there; all one can rely on are your own words of honour, or Curufinwë’s – if you still know what that means.”

“If you want to hate someone, hate me,” said Celegorm with fervour. “I did kidnap the witch. She wormed her way into my heart, beguiled my thoughts. And afterwards, I wanted to… I tried to kill her, Counsellor. My blood was boiling, I was furious, I was afraid, I have never felt such elemental hatred in my life, and…”

Fury, distrust and bad blood were all forgotten as their eyes met, and all of a sudden, Tyelcano recognized the one incurable illness the other was suffering from. And from that moment on, he understood; and this understanding would become an unspoken secret they shared, from that moment to the last they would share on Arda marred.

Yet Tyelcano said nothing: for words were given meaning and shape, and were acknowledged when they were spoken – and some things are best left unacknowledged.

“What can I do for you, cundunya?” he said instead, his voice uncharacteristically gentle.

“Make Curvo stay,” said Celegorm.

Indeed, Tyelcano thought. Because I am not already determined to do so. You have to get on your knees and beg me.

“And why would I want him here?” he said aloud. “All he brought to this castle so far was strife and scandal. Other than the hot water tubes, of course – for that much, the household is forever thankful.”

Tyelcano felt a sudden urge to laugh as Celegorm opened his mouth to voice his dismay, then closed it; then reopened it, only to close it again in shock.

“You – you were jesting, right?” he finally managed. “You… Counsellor, you are able to jest?”

“Who knows?” Tyelcano stood, and slid his precious notebook into his pocket, along with The Nature o’ Visions. “Now, lordship – you might have the whole day to dance around and write mediocre poetry, but some people have work to do in this castle. A pleasure to have seen ye!”

And with grace, he walked out of the room.

§ ~ § ~ §

Lord Curufinwë Fëanárion was housed in one of the most airy and comfortable suits in the castle, and Tyelcano shook his head in displeasure when he saw that most of the windows had not been opened in a week, or more. Dust was gathering near their hinges, and the shutters were closed.

All the lord’s earthly possessions – two half-packed bundles – were gathered on the bed, and Curufin himself was nowhere to be seen; so Tyelcano settled down, and waited. Not much later, he heard the soft creak of the opening door.

If Tyelcano thought that Curufin would show shame or remorse, he was mistaken. His face was fair and smooth as ever; and as their gazes met, a sparkle of sardonic mischief kindled in the lord’s eyes, then went out immediately.

“Good morn, Counsellor,” came the most casual greeting Tyelcano had ever heard in his long life. “How fare ye?”

Pleading will not help me here, Tyelcano realized. Nor will kindness, understanding or reprimands.

I will have to be cruel.

“How fare I, you ask? Now that you are on your way, lordship – remarkably well, thank you.”

“And still you sit here like a faithful old dog,” Curufin quipped.

“Old dogs give the worst bites. Careful you be, or they might fester.”

Their words lingered long in the dusty air, and Tyelcano knew he had hit his mark.

“It is against your nature to feast upon the sorrow of others,” said Curufin slowly. “Why are you here? What may I do for you?”

Tyelcano steeled himself.

“You may promise me to die quickly out in the wilderness,” he said, ignoring the gut-wrenching feeling that seized him, “and without a trace.”

Silence.

Curufin opened his mouth, then closed it, then opened it again – much like his brother before, yet this time, Tyelcano did not feel the slightest stir of humour in his heart.

“Counsellor,” said Curufin, “I… I am wounded.”

The knife was in his chest, and it took all Tyelcano’s willpower to twist it.

 “Your things are packed and I see no one begging you to unpack them. Go!”

“Tyelcano!” Curufin’s eyes were wide, his face suddenly pale.

“You know exactly what you are doing, you cruel, selfish fiend,” said Tyelcano, as disparagingly as he could. “Begone, and swiftly! I do not wish to see you ever again.”

The lie kept floating in the empty air between them, and silence made it grow; then the understanding of it finally settled in Curufin’s eyes, still uncharacteristically open, and impossibly wounded.

“You are standing in the doorway, Counsellor,” he said. His fists were clenched.

“You are many things,” Tyelcano seethed, “but until today, you were not an idiot. If you go, Moringotto’s servants will hunt you down and drag you to Angamando, and you shall never see the Sun again. And your brothers will not come after you, Curufinwë. I will not let them.”

“I understand,” said Curufin rigidly.

Tyelcano’s eyes were suddenly filled with a strange kind of hot mist, one he would certainly not acknowledge as the gathering of tears.

“Do you not see how selfish you are? Do you not see how Moringotto controls you, how he puts strife between you and your family, how he makes you deceive and betray others? He has won, Curufinwë: you and your deeds are the living proofs of his victory. I cannot, will not bend your will, and nor will anyone else. Yet I tell you now: the only place the Enemy shall never find you are the Halls of Mandos. You have let on evil happen, and your brothers are now divided. Stop right here, and hurt them no more.”

“You gave up on me,” Curufin whispered.

“Was that not what you wished for?”

“You gave up on me!”

The hot mist cascaded into tears, and ran down Tyelcano’s cheek.

“I have no choice. I cannot, and will not force you.”

“What would you have me do?” Curufin shouted. “I am declared a traitor and a murderer, exiled from Nargothrond, exiled from Doriath, exiled from fair Valinórë across the Sea… maybe not even Námo would let me dwell in his Halls! My own kin turned against me. My own children forsook me… and you, Counsellor, you made me sit on your knees when I was little, yet even you have turned your back on me. I ask again: what would you have me do? Crawl? Fall on my knees? Beg for mercy with fake tears? I have no tears left to cry, Counsellor.”

“I want you to stop running,” said Tyelcano. “Wherever you go, you shall never be free of yourself. If you want to help us, swallow your pride, stay, and work for the well-being of our people, as we all do.”

“The well-being of our people!” Curufin’s laughter was coarse. “Was that what Father told you at Losgar? No, Counsellor: we have sworn our Oath, and we did not swear lightly. Our words of honour bind us, burn us, kill us all. And we need to fulfil that promise. Nothing else matters.”

“That cannot be true. You are a noble lord from a house of Kings! All you need to do is start acting like one.”

“And renounce my titles right away?” Curufin’s eyes narrowed. “I have nothing else left.”

“For now!” Tyelcano sighed in exasperation. “Would you not try and get your family, your friends and your honour back first? Would you not find work for your hands in this castle, instead of getting caught and brought to Angamando as Moringotto’s plaything?”

“I shall not be patronized and humiliated,” said Curufin, “and I could not face Nelyo and Makalaurë again after… after what happened in that room.”

“The choice is yours,” said Tyelcano. “Yet I must say it is very painful to watch you fall into a pit whilst standing at the brink of a new path. I wish I had taught you better.”

“You taught me well,” Curufin said, hesitating. “Yet… I have little love for lost causes. No matter what I do, my brothers shall never trust me again. You shall never trust me again.”

Tyelcano closed his eyes.

“It is said that the blades of trust are hard to forge and easy to blunt,” he said, “yet once they are sharpened anew, they slice the very stones from the earth. And you, lordship, are the best smith on both sides of the Sea.”

Curufin tilted his head. “Next time you seek to blackmail me, do hide your tears. They betray your lies.”

“I will do my best,” said Tyelcano.

Curufinwë stared at him for a long minute.

Then, he undid the straps on his two bundles.


Chapter End Notes

Excerpts from The Lay of Leithian, Canto X.:

 „But as they came the horses swerved

with nostrils wide and proud necks curved;

Curufin, stooping, to saddlebow

with mighty arm did Luthien throw,

and laughed.”

“[...]and with a roar

leaped on Curufin; round his neck

his arms entwined, and all to wreck

both horse and rider fell to ground;

and there they fought without a sound.”

„[…]the Gnome felt Beren’s fingers grim

close on his throat and strangle him,

and out his eyes did start, and tongue

gasping from his mouth there hung.

Up rode Celegorm with his spear,

and bitter death was Beren near.”

About my reinterpretation of events:

- This story seeks balance between mythopoeia and modern novelisation – which means that while certain magical, unexplainable elements do exist, many events described in ’The Silmarillion’ are handled as legends.

- In the Lay of Leithian, Celegorm and Curufin are villains. In ‘The Seven Gates’, they are not.

- In my interpretation, Celegorm did not know that Curufin had intended to kill Lúthien; and I chose to read the passage that says „They saw the wanderers. With a shout / straight on them swung their hurrying rout / as if neath maddened hooves to rend / the lovers and their love to end” as the malice of the scribe who had worded the tale ;)

Tyelcano’s age:

- He was born near Cuiviénen in YT1099 (the year when Melkor was chained and brought to Valinor, to be sentenced to the Halls of Mandos).

- His age can be determined in both Tree and Sun-years, thus the difference between calculations. One Tree-year equals around 9,75 Sun-years.

- At the beginning of this story, our Counsellor is 4310 sun-years old.

The dream-meanings were found either all around the Internet, or – in some cases – in an old Hungarian dream-book I found in my childhood home’s basement.

The Wrath of Caranthir

Curufin's children are introduced; and their favourite uncle tells the story of his latest accidental mass murder.

Read The Wrath of Caranthir

The Falls of Sirion, FA 467, the last day of Víressë

Erenis was sitting on the fresh-smelling ground, hands folded in her lap, lest she’d resume her nervous fidgeting. She could feel the tremor of Tyelperinquar’s steps as he paced around their camp: back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. She could also hear the merry tune Gwindor was playing on his bowstring, tautening and loosening it in different angles.

The Falls murmured ceaselessly in the distance, and Erenis listened with curiosity. She had never seen the mighty Sirion before; it was said that its waters fell beneath the very earth, then gushed out of their stony grave a whole nine leagues further. Such a sight would be breath-taking, she knew. It was one she longed to see.

She hated to sit around aimlessly instead, and wait.

No – not aimlessly. He said he would come; and come he will.

And once he came, he will talk to me.

The Sons of the Star keep their word.

That thought was enough to help her stand and weave her hair into a lazy braid. She felt a sudden urge to whistle as she adjusted her boots; yet she knew she had to remain subtle and silent. Like a proper princess.

She was no longer a princess, though.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Tyelpe’s voice was sharp as a new blade. It made her sad; there had been a time when her brother was less of steel and more of warm, melted gold.

“It is my begetting day,” she said, hands on her hips, “so you owe me a gift – and there is this wonderful thing called silence, you know? Very pricey these days.”

“How clever of you,” said Tyelperinquar.

“I go wherever I please, and I do not see how you, of all people, can deny me that. You may, of course, try to catch me.”

“These lands are getting more and more dangerous, sister. You have already tried the King’s patience by leaving his Halls and dragging us along with you; do not make things worse, I beg you… And for such a pointless reason! These hills are silent. There is nothing here but deserted roads, gloomy forests and crows prowling over abandoned carcasses.”

“And Toronar.”

“Why linger here, Erenis? He shall not come. He could have changed his mind, or he could have been killed for all we know. We may learn about that later, to our joy or sorrow – for such is the course of life. We can only sit and watch.”

“Patience, Tyelpe! He has not forgotten us.”

“Five days, and the Gate shall be sealed. We are far from home, yet not alone in these lands. Let us go back to the safety of Nargothrond!”

“Let the Gate be sealed,” said Erenis. “He will come, I tell you. He must. He is our uncle!”

“We have many uncles,” said Tyelperinquar, “and this far, none of them has proved helpful. Still – what if you met Carnistir? Would it change anything?”

“Yes. We could make him understand why we did what we did. And we could learn some news…”

“I am not interested in news.” Her brother’s voice was hardening back to merciless steel. “The only thing I am now invested in is escorting you back below the earth where we belong. Your folly has gone too far.”

“You’re not in the brightest of moods today, I must say,” said Erenis lightly. “Come, let me tend to your hair. You look horrible.”

“Sometimes, appearances are not half as deceptive as one would think.”

Though Tyelperinquar’s mood did not seem to lighten, the corners of his mouth did turn slightly upwards; and for Erenis, that was a true achievement. She ran her fingers through her brother’s dark, coal-smelling tresses, and braided them. When she was done, she planted a small kiss on Tyelperinquar’s forehead; and her large, broad-shouldered, fiery-eyed, fierce brother wound his arms around her neck.

She leaned into the rare embrace.

“I made something for you,” said Tyelperinquar, murmuring softly against the neckline of her tunic, and Erenis stirred.

“You should not have.”

“Whyever not?”

“Because it is nothing like the gifts I could make you, and you know that. I thought that our agreement would last, and you would once again write me bad poetry. I was looking forward to it!”

“Oh, but I did. Worse than ever! Yet I could not resist the urge to give you something useful as well, something you shall – unfortunately – be needing... If I tell you that Gwindor’s gift belongs with mine, and mine is less than half of it, shall your wrath pass us by harmlessly?”

“I cannot estimate the degree of harm,” Erenis sighed, “but it shall pass.”

“How reassuring,” Gwindor chimed in. “I thought you would never get across the dog-fight part of your conversation. Then the dramatically dark part, then the poetically emotional part, and then…”

“That will be quite enough, thank you,” Tyelperinquar snapped, but the shadow of worry seemed to have lifted from his face. “Shall we get to the gift-giving part?”

Erenis knew her fate was sealed.

“Well, here it is,” said Tyelperinquar unceremoniously, pulling a small scabbard from his belt. Erenis had long before noticed the weapon but did not mention it; there could be a handful of chisels stuffed inside the shiny leather case for all she knew. “May it protect you from any harm; may it keep your path clearer than the waters of long-lost Valinórë. Happy begetting day, dearest one!”

Careful and more than a little wary, Erenis took the scabbard from her brother’s hand, her fingers clutching the delicate hilt.

A dagger, she thought, amazed. But why would I need one?

When it came to forging, or any other handicraft, Erenis was well and truly unskilled: a bitter truth she had learned to accept as the centuries dragged on. Still, nothing could erase the experience earned working in her father’s and grandfather’s smithies: lessons, scolding, rare praise and merciless precision. Erenis could tell good work from bad, excellent from good, and perfect from excellent. And this dagger was perfect, from the tiniest adorned branches and leaves on the hilt to the soft, rosily gleaming gemstone at the middle of the pommel; or the barely visible engravings that ran across the silver blade.

“You have outdone yourself,” said Erenis. She tried very hard to conceal her jealousy – to no avail, as it seemed to her. “It is beautiful – and deadly. Why would you gift me a weapon, and what else are you planning to bestow on your poor innocent sister? Am I getting Gwindor’s old armour too…?”

“Now that would be a sight!” Gwindor snorted. “Nay, little one: your brother’s gift was the blade, and mine shall be the training.”

“Training?” Erenis’s eyed widened. “So I am to learn how to kill now?”

“Or how to defend yourself,” said Tyelperinquar. “I admit that the thought of you running around with sharpened bits of steel is not one I particularly enjoy. Yet the world has become dangerous once again. We have to adapt; and so do you.”

Erenis closed her fists, then opened them, then closed them again. The dagger felt heavy, and alien in her hand.

“I have already killed once, Tyelpë. You know that. And I cannot, will not do it again, perhaps not even to an Orc. It makes my stomach turn. You, who has the talent to make things, might not be entirely stranger to my silent wish to try and let things be.”

“That is all well,” said her brother, “but evil does not seem very willing to let us be in return.”

“You might not need to kill ever again, for all we know,” Gwindor added, “though my heart tells me otherwise. Nevertheless, it is our wish that you would not feel the slightest stir of blood if a servant of the Enemy tries to attack or capture you.”

“Depends on the servant,” said Erenis with an effort.

Wind rose in the West; and westward they turned, upon some unspoken agreement. The roar of the Falls now seemed far more fain and distant than the rustle of leaves and birds scratching about in the undergrowth. Across the clearing, there was a narrow opening between the trees and they could see the empty air above the woodlands of Andram.

The air smelled sweet, and Erenis almost forgot how helpless and in danger they were.

“Where are the guards?” Tyelperinquar asked then.

“Scattered around this hill, and further down in the woods,” came Gwindor’s answer. “No foe could take us by surprise.”

“We never know what Moringotto is capable of,” Tyelperinquar gritted his teeth. “Not since the Battle of the Flames.”

Gwindor’s flinch was barely visible; but it was there.

“Can we just call him the Enemy? I despise that name.”

“A banned language to curse a backboneless foe,” Tyelperinquar smiled dangerously. “More than fitting, would you not agree?”

“No more rowan berries today, mellon nín. You’re bitterer than a heartbroken maid!”

“Stop squabbling and listen!” Erenis stood. “Someone is coming.”

Tyelperinquar gave his friend a sidelong look.

“Better be the guards, or I shall have to question your senses quite deeply.”

“You need not question it, Your Insufferableness. Here comes a familiar face!”

It was a guard that emerged from the woods, bowing before he spoke, his voice tense and hushed.

“A lone rider is coming. He mounts a strong stallion and seems to be in a great hurry. Shall we let him pass?”

“I told you!” Erenis’s fingernails were digging into her brother’s arm. “I told you he would come!”

“We cannot count on that,” said Gwindor. “We have to make sure – “

“Who else could it be?”

“Someone who wants us dead,” Tyelperinquar snapped. “Anyone! You cannot just trust people blindly!”

Erenis crossed her arms.

“We are surrounded by guards, and the rider is alone. Uncle Carnistir is here, Tyelpë; and he could kill our whole entourage in a single fit of rage if he only wanted. The same is true about the Enemy. Now let us go, and not waste our time any further.”

~ § ~

Together, they began their descent to the declivous vale that opened between a pair of the low, forest-covered hills above the Fens of Sirion. The moist, ungrateful smell of the close moorlands made Erenis wrinkle her nose; it was far from pleasant, but she accepted it with her usual quiet dignity. Restraining herself from racing ahead, she kept her hand on the hilt of her new dagger, for she knew it was expected of her. She tried not to ponder how empty that threat would prove to any foe.

Gwindor and his guards had set up a makeshift camp in the middle of a grove of ebony trees at the bottom of the valley. Their horses were grazing about; rays of morning sun danced around on their brown coats. The guards themselves were forming a wide circle around the newcomer, already dismounted. He was tall, broad-shouldered, and looked more than a little ragged. He also was, without any doubt, Carnistir, son of Fëanáro.

As soon as Erenis met his eyes, she exclaimed ‘Uncle!’ and ran to greet him. Lithe and light as she was, she thought she could slam with full force in his chest and did not even make him flinch; but Carnistir cried out in pain,

“Careful – CAREFUL you little fiend!”

Erenis stared at him, alarmed. The more closely she looked, the unusual her beloved uncle seemed. He was dirty, to begin with – he, who had always paid ridiculous amounts of attention to his clothing and the way it smelled, he who braided his hair every morning, he who kept his teeth whiter than the gems wrought in Grandfather’s goblets… And Uncle Carnistir was also injured. His left arm seemed fastened to his chest with stripes of dirty linen, and his cloak billowed about his form like bat-wings in the rising wind.

If Erenis wanted to be entirely honest, Uncle Carnistir did not look like himself at all – save for his large, lively eyes, his broad smile and the booming great voice that echoed on in the pit of her stomach whenever it spoke.

Silence fell to the grove of trees for a few seconds; then Carnistir spoke again, his voice slightly clearer now:

“I was afraid you might leave before I get here. I was also afraid you’d be insane like me and come alone. I’m glad I was wrong.”

“My sweet sister would not have hesitated to make that mistake,” said Tyelperinquar, who was still standing at the edge of the glade, in the exact same position as three minutes before. “Thankfully, she has me.” He then addressed the Elves around them. “Be at peace, for the one we sought has come to us. We shall sit in council for an hour or two; Lord Gwindor shall see to your tasks.”

At the mention of his name, Gwindor came forth, and bowed slightly. “Greetings, Lord Caranthir,” he said in his schooled Sindarin. “My name is Gwindor, and I am Captain of the King in Nargothrond. I am most glad that you found us.”

“Yes, I imagine that,” crackled Carnistir in the same tongue and dialect, and Erenis wondered what happened to his voice. “Thank you kindly, Captain; you may leave us alone for now. I wish to talk to my niece and nephew without you cave-dwellers pricking your ears about.”

If Gwindor of any of his kinsmen were offended, they did not show it; and Erenis had to admit that the playful insult rather humoured than annoyed her.

“They will have to stay around,” she heard her brother saying. “Someone may have been following you, lordship, or simply lurking around in the woodlands. We cannot risk anyone finding us.”

“As you wish,” Carnistir said, his voice suddenly formal. “It seems that we have much to talk about, m’lord, m’lady.”

“Can we just skip the part when we act like strangers and move on to the second phase, where we’re actually overjoyed to see each other sane and whole?” Erenis snapped. She crossed the distance between herself and her uncle with two determined steps and stood on tiptoes to plant a kiss on his forehead. When Carnistir did not protest, she pulled him into another, less tight hug, now paying attention to his scars and injuries.

“I am quite willing to do that,” her uncle said through the curtain of her hair. “What say you, kinsman?”

“I did not mean to be rude,” said Tyelperinquar. “Too much things have happened lately, and I am not sure what should we call each other.”

“I will still call you my little nephew if you grow another head, dye your hair vibrant blue and decide to earn your living as an Orc impersonator,” said Carnistir with a shrug (then winced). “I did not come here to get lost in the intrigues of our unfortunate family… I have news for you if you care to hear them – good and bad.”

“And we have questions, Uncle,” said Erenis, looking him up and down without the slightest sort of subtlety. “So many questions. But will you not sit down?”

“It will not help my shattered state,” Carnistir sighed. “Just send your moles further off.”

“Uncle… you can’t just call the King’s best scouts moles,” Tyelperinquar whispered depreciatingly, though the corners of his mouth betrayed him, and turned slightly upwards. Finally, he gave in and walked off to Gwindor. After a brief exchange of murmurings, their guards disappeared among the thicket, and Erenis suddenly felt exposed.

“There we are,” Carnistir said when there was none other around them than his peacefully grazing horse. “Much better. Now, look at you – you both seem slightly troubled, if you don’t mind my mentioning it. Tyelpë, those black circles below your eyes would be enough to silence a room. And Erenis, you’re fidgeting again. I have told you a million times not to do that. Curiously enough, you both look like tiny frightened animals – not a pair of bright young Elves who just shattered the shackles of their maniac, power-monger father.”

“We did not -,” Tyelprinquar shook his head, glimpsing his reflection in a small puddle of rainwater. “…are they really that horrible?”

“I have never seen such magnificent circles,” Carnistir nodded. “I must congratulate you, really.”

“And you, Uncle?” Erenis burst out, folding her hands in her lap lest she’d resume her fidgeting. “What happened to you?”

“A friendly banter with Orcs, nothing more,” Carnistir said casually. “I will tell you later, but we don’t have much time. I would like to know at first what in Manwë’s holy name happened, how, and most importantly, why.”

And so Erenis began to talk. She spoke about the Battle of the Flames, about how they’ve fled; how they lived through their first years in Nargothrond; how their father’s and their Uncle Tyelko’s power grew and how they gradually changed; how did that slow, gradual change cascade in their father’s mind; how he started to treat them as tools who could only be used to serve his purposes or to please him; how they grew closer and closer to the folk of Nargothrond and how they became alienated from their own father. How their father hurt them, and how they both hurt him back. How their fights became recurrent, then common, then unceasing.

She finished her account before their last debate, leaving to Tyelperinquar the unpleasant task of recounting the rest: the betrayal, the riot, the fracture – and the deaf, puzzled vacancy that followed. When Tyelperinquar fell silent, Carnistir sighed boisterously (for a split second, Erenis was reminded of the billows in her father’s smithy), and asked:

“That would be all?”

“That would be all,” Tyelperinquar nodded.

“Are you sure? No mushy letters of explanation coming from your father? No declarations of unconditional love despite everything? Not even tears? No news, no blessings, no curses?”

“Absolutely nothing.”

Carnistir shook his head.

“Blast it,” he declared. “I was hoping that rumours were a little bit less true. Could it be all true, then…? You cannot imagine all the unholy things I have heard about your father.”

“I think things have passed a point,” Tyelperinquar said slowly, “where nothing should surprise us anymore.”

“No, Tyelpë, that is not true…” Erenis sighed. “Well, I hope it isn’t. It’s just… he’s not entirely acting like himself lately. But neither do we – neither does anyone. The whole world is mad with grief, and that’s…”

“That doesn’t excuse anything,” her brother retorted. “I’m tired of hearing the same weak arguments over and over. Ethics and morality are the sort of ground we should walk on: a ground that cannot be cut from under our feet. Some of our father’s deeds are inexcusable: you know that just as well as I. He has taken a path and we have taken another, and the two shall not collide.”

Carnistir finally settled down upon the ground, weighing his injured back slowly, gently against a boulder.

“What is the meaning of inexcusable?” he said, his voice considerably clearer than before. “Something you cannot pardon? Something that shouldn’t be pardoned by the laws of justice or common sense? Something you just don’t want to pardon?”

“All of that at once, I think,” Tyelperinquar answered him. He did not sit like his uncle or sister did; he was pacing around them in slow circles instead, sometimes wide, sometimes narrow, as if moving would help him settle his thoughts. “After all that you’ve heard, what do you think we should do?”

“Thinking would be much appreciated, I think,” Carnistir let out a stormy sigh. “Because we’re in horrid trouble. Did I guess correctly that the words of King Findaráto’s death were the last news you’ve heard?”

“We have heard all sort of nonsense since then,” Erenis sighed. “Envoys are either expected to promptly swallow all relevant information they possess, or there is none. Yet you cannot imagine the number of songs we’ve heard on the heroic Quest of Princess Lúthien and Beren the Mortal Man, how they tore down the gates of Angamando and attacked the Enemy in his sleep, then escaped with the Jewel…”

“The songs are true,” Carnistir said.

Tyelperinquar’s pacing stopped so abruptly Erenis almost gave a jump. Her brother was staring at their uncle as if he’d just grown a second head.

“Excuse me?”

“You have heard me,” Carnistir nodded gravely. “The songs say that Princess Lúthien stroke Moringotto with the lightning of Manwë, and burned his black hands with the Jewel; then she and Beren flew across the lands on Eagle-back, right to the Halls of Mandos where they were greated with applause and sent back to the world of the living at the mercy of the Valar. Most of it is rubbish, I expect, yet we know for certain that the Jewel has been stolen, and it is now in Doriath.”

“But they cannot have…,” Tyelperinquar stared at his open palms. “That’s impossible!”

“It was, until it happened. Now, we know that Moringotto isn’t unassailable, and that there is a way to his halls. Yet we cannot expect him to fall back to sleep without avenging Beren’s and Lúthien’s little Quest. Of course, ‘tis not them who shall suffer – that shall be us, who still have the misfortune to be alive. And if the Enemy attacks again, we shall be in horrid trouble. Our forces are scattered, our watchtowers ruined, our weapons broken. So many of us have perished in the Battle of Flames! And our family, as always, stands closest to the fire; we can almost already feel its heat. In a few weeks, I shall be forced to abandon Amon Ereb and ride north to the ever-safe haven of Himring. Thargelion is lost. The Gap is lost. Arthórien is lost and Ossiriand falling. There is a huge gap between Estolad and Andram where no kin of us walks. Whoever might dwell in Taur-im-Duinath are cut off of us completely. And our new High King is a fellow so responsible that he walked straight up to the Iron Prison with a bow and a blasted harp! Do you even realise how doomed the Ñoldor are?! For Valar’s sake, children, this is just not the time to throw a tantrum against your father! We are so few, so shattered… we should stick together! Did I really need to ride a hundred leagues just to remind you of that?!”

Erenis opened her mouth, but closed it immediately as she realised she had no answer to that. She was surprised to feel shame bubbling up from the depths of her fëa. She stole a shy glance at her brother, but Tyelperinquar’s features were calm as a mountain lake, and sharp as steel.

“Are you saying that the charges we hold against our father are unjust?”

“I shan’t deny that your father can be an unholy bastard at times, if that is what you want to hear,” their uncle sighed. “Yet what I am truly saying is that this is no time for justice, Tyelpë, but for survival. Moringotto will hunt us down and serve our heads with pastries upon his table if we don’t act quickly enough. We should help each other while we can. For family’s sake. For honour’s sake.”

“These two just don’t seem to fit together anymore in my eyes,” said Tyelperinquar gravely. “My father’s late deeds disgust me. I do not regard myself as part of the family anymore: this I have told him. I care for you and love you for old times’ sake but I have no wish for participating in further kinslayings.”

“What do you think of us, Tyelpë?!” Carnistir’s voice was barely more than a whisper, yet the red heat of indignation creeped up his neck and coloured his cheeks. “What do you think of us?! That we kill Moriquendi out of sport?! That it would bring us joy or any sort of satiety to start another war?! Who do you think we are? Criminals? Robbers? Rogues…?”

“He’s not…,” Erenis tried to say, but Tyelperinquar raised his hand.

“Yes, I am! I am saying this, and I am meaning it! You swore an Oath we did not swear, therefore you may be forced to do things we cannot, we should not, we will not relate to. If that is so hard for you to accept, why won’t you try and fight your Oath?”

“For the same reason why I will not reach out to pluck the moon from the skies!” Carnistir bellowed. “Because it’s bloody impossible! Do you think I have never tried?! That I have never…”

He suddenly fell silent, hiding his face in his palms for a moment that seemed like Ages. Erenis tried to think of something, anything to say, but her tongue went dry and words eluded her.

“Did you come here to try and lure us back to the father we’ve denied?” Tyelperinquar asked sharply. “Because we’re only wasting our precious time, then.”

“Tyelpë!” Erenis sprang to her feet, dismayed. “Can’t you hear your own speech?! You’re being outrageously rude!”

“I’m being honest!” Her brother’s hands were tightened into fists. “Is that something to resent?”

“Yes, if you’re using your honesty to deliberately hurt others!”

“I’m not trying to hurt him, I’m just trying to save time…”

“Save time for what? So you can go back to your toys in the smithy? So you can continue bathing in the King’s praise?”

“Stop this childish banter!” Carnistir snapped. “Now we’re wasting time!”

With an effort, the siblings turned their eyes off each other, and looked reluctantly at their uncle, whose attitude, despite being dirty and ragged, still held some uncertain, but surely distinguishable means of authority.

“I came here because I care for you two,” Carnistir went on, his tone still harsher than usual. “Because we’re family. I don’t want to bend your will, nor do I think I ever could. I don’t believe it was a good choice to turn your back on your father, but I can understand why you did it. Perhaps you made the right decision – that is for you to find out. Knowledge shall come with time. I merely want you to know that you don’t need to throw all our family away just because you’re at bad terms with your Atar. And if something, anything goes awry, you shall always have a place in my… well, I could say castle but I can’t see how I could get my hands on one in the foreseeable future. So, let’s say you’ll always have a place with me, or any of my brothers, wherever we might dwell. Did you hear me?”

“We did,” Erenis said, “and thank you kindly.”

“You have always been good to us, Uncle,” said Tyelperinquar with the ghost of a sad smile on his face. “And overly generous. Forgive me if I have offended you.”

“It’s worse, Tyelpë,” Carnistir said. “At times, you’re scaring me.”

But he grinned right afterwards, and took the hand Tyelperinquar offered to him; and they all fell to the pretence of piece and accordance.

We should call it a truce, Erenis thought.

~ § ~

The three Feanoreans took their luncheon with Gwindor and the guards; their conversation rambled on to lighter topics then, and – from time to time – even to those of interest. Carnistir told them about all the strange news and rumours he’d heard in Ossiriand, Belegost and what remained of Thargelion; then he sang them a song he’d written about a dwarf merchant who challenged everyone to played the dice with him, and repeatedly drank so much that he fell straight upon the table, face down his mug. The song met great success among the guards, and not even Tyelperinquar managed to hide his grin.

“You still have to tell us about your friendly banter with Orcs, Uncle, as you so eloquently put it,” Erenis reminded Carnistir when the remnants of their food were carried away and she filled everyone’s cups with watered wine.

“Oh yes, I suppose,” Carnistir grinned. “Unfortunately, the story isn’t quite as heroic as it could have been.” He delved into his pocket, and pulled out a small parcel. “I’ve gone to great lengths to get this for your begetting day, young lady, but alas! Bad fortune pursued me, for I’ve been robbed on my route: my heart was stolen.”

Erenis (who had never received a begetting day gift with such open directness before, without any needless blessings or compliments) could not hide her grin, nor her utter delight when she unpacked the delicately wrought brooch from wet, mottled paper. It was of Dwarwish making without any doubt: but curiously enough, its silvery outlines formed an eagle.

“It is magnificent,” she breathed, and leaned forward to kiss her uncle on the cheek. “Thank you! But you have to tell me - who stole your heart on the road? And why should that mean bad fortune?! I’m so glad for you, Uncle!”

“Aye, we should drink to that!” Gwindor suggested with his usual heartiness.

“Help yourselves,” Carnistir laughed, “yet the thief wasn’t the sort of creature you might expect. If you keep your voices down and don’t jump on her all at once, you may see her.”

With that, he stood up slowly, gritting his teeth when his bandaged hand reached an uncomfortable angle, and went to his horse. Erenis glimpsed that the large saddlebag on the stallion’s side was half open, as if to let the air enter; and when Carnistir pulled out his hand from the bag, he was holding a small, black bundle. As he came to settle back in their circle, Erenis saw that the bundle was, in truth, a little pup, its fur black as night.

“Oh,” said Gwindor in a tone that did not quite match the Captain of Nargothrond. “She’s so tiny!”

“She also has teeth like steel,” Carnistir said happily. “We met on a cold night, not entirely a day ago. I stayed far from the road to look for a swift way up here, and that was when I saw a fire, and fifteen Orcs around it. They were about to cook and eat this tiny helpless creature. One of them held her by the neck. I saw that from amongst the thicket, and… well, Lord Gwindor, you don’t yet know me when something gets on my nerves. Long story short, I suddenly felt slightly upset and I might have accidentally massacred those filthy Orcs. At first, I just wanted to throw them into their own boiling cauldron but I didn’t quite get to that. Orc-necks break so easily… And then there was this little lady, yowling and scratching about, helpless and frantic with fear. So I took her. What else could I have done?”

“Nothing!” Said Gwindor in unison with three guards.

“Wait,” said Tyelperinquar, fingers drumming a steady staccato on his knees. “Uncle Carnistir. You threw yourself alone, without any entourage or hope for help, at the middle of an Orc camp… to save a puppy?”

“At that moment,” said Carnistir measuredly, “it seemed perfectly reasonable.”

“I would have done the same thing,” Gwindor declared grimly. Tyelperinquar shook his head.

“That’s… I cannot decide if that’s beyond honourable or beyond stupid.”

“Children and animals are the worst,” Carnistir sighed. “And maybe women. Or any other being that is suffering, really. You just see it and can’t look away. You must… do something immediately. I fell to that trap, as so many times before – the Orcs were surprised enough, but they left an ugly scar on my side -, and now I have my little lady friend to take care of. I still think it was worth it, though.”

“Does she have a name already?” Erenis scratched a tiny ear with her fingertips, smiling as the pup leaned into her touch.

“I’ve been seriously considering Melko,” Carnistir grinned, “but I figured that I could not risk your old Uncle Nelyo throwing me out of his halls. Moreover, I noticed she was a girl.”

“Oh, come on!” Erenis tried to appear outraged, but could barely hold back her laughter. Carnistir had a strange talent for making insults and otherwise horrible things seem chokingly funny.

“Nobody deserves to be called Melko,” said Tyelperinquar. The way the joke appeared to be of no effect on him sent a chill creeping down Erenis’s spine, and once again she was filled with the fear of her brother becoming this cold and distant for eternity. But as so often those days, her fear was momentary; and – as if to reassure her – some faint reflection of their former light returned to her brother’s eyes as he said, “I would name her Egnor, for the sake of her rescue and sharp teeth. Consider that, if it is to your liking.”

“She deserves a finer language,” Carnistir commented, “but I admit I like the idea.”

~ § ~

Hours went by in silence and stillness, and the two siblings tended to their uncle’s wounds as much as they could. The cuts were not deep but ugly, and their edges a little bit blackened, which left Erenis worrying. Yet Carnistir had no fever, he found joy in drink and food, and talked just as much as usual. Erenis stayed around him until nightfall, more for the sake of his booming voice and the sight of his face than the actual content of his endless chattering. Her uncle might have guessed that filling the stubborn silence that lingered around the grove gave her comfort; yet suddenly, when the fiery red plate of the sun almost settled below the horizon, he said,

“Well, I suppose this is farewell, then.”

The statement was abrupt and decisive; it sent an invisible wave of uncertainness around their dwelling that seemed to shake even Tyelperinquar who was tending to some ropes that held a tent.

“It must be,” he said slowly. “That will be better for everyone.”

Their uncle nodded slowly, gravely.

“I understand. Yes, I think I am starting to understand you two. Take care of yourselves… and if you’re this determined to trade your family for the people of Nargothrond, stick with them at least. They are decent, as it seems to me.”

“We’re not trading you, Uncle,” Erenis promised. “Never you!”

“Favouritism is an unholy thing, young lady,” Carnistir raised his finger, and winked. Erenis was suddenly strongly reminded of her Uncle Nelyo’s measured old counsellor, and couldn’t suppress a grin. “I’m flattered, though.”

“I am… we are very thankful that you came, Uncle Moryo,” said Tyelprinquar, and spread his cloak upon Erenis’s shoulders before she could resist. The evening chill was getting sharper.

“I will come whenever you need me, provided that I have still legs to walk upon,” Carnistir said lightly. “Though I’m afraid you’ll soon be obliged to reach out to Himlad if you want to hear from me.”

“We will take that risk,” Tyelperinquar said. “May the Blessings of the Valar stay with you on your road north!”

Carnistir nodded.

“Now that would be a sight to see,” he murmured, seemingly oblivious to the fact that his voice was clearly audible all around the camp. “The Valar’s Blessings upon me.”


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

- Egnor [Sindarin] means approximately “fire-thorn”.

- On the usage of names: Erenis’s POV will always use Quenya names for her close relatives and Sindarin for her friends and/or acquaintances, as well as locations.

A Practical Arrangement

Anardil settles into his new life in Gondolin, and makes a friend.

Read A Practical Arrangement

Gate I. of Cleanwater Alley in the Hidden City of Ondolindë, FA 467, the ides of Víressë

It was the sharp whistle coming from the kettle that shook Anardil from his reverie.

Briefly, he wondered if the sound meant that the whole house was on fire, or about to collapse; but nothing terrible, deadly or even unpleasant happened. The kettle merely went on whistling; then it started shaking, ever so slightly, as if trying to get away from the heat of the furnace.

Indeed. He must have forgotten about it – again – and fallen back to sleep.

Anardil watched the thing jolt for a short while, appreciating the fact that he once again owned a furnace and a kettle. The sudden turn of his luck still felt somewhat overwhelming.

As he sat up in his bed, soft, clean blankets extruded around his waist, still far too thin to match the strong build of his shoulders – it was getting there, though. Slowly and accurately, he flexed and unflexed his fingers, tracing the outlines of scars where Sauron’s shackles had clawed on his skin. Sometimes, he could still feel them.

The shackles, however, were no longer ravaging his wrists. Around him was a light, spacious room, opening to a small terrace; the windows faced the snowy Echoriath and the green meadows of Tumladen, several hundred feet above its sea of grass. Below him was a soft mattress. His hands, feet and hair were warm, and clean. They smelled of soap, safety, and a good night’s sleep.

Bracing himself for the day ahead, Anardil poured a cup of tea. It was a concoction of dense, sweet-smelling camomile: the cheapest he could find in the Lesser Market. He knew from hearsay already that the City had another market, one that was as huge as the King’s Gardens; but he knew he would need a companion to wander that far from his new home if he did not want to get lost.

That was the only thing he lacked indeed: a companion. The King had fulfilled his promise and gave him a home to dwell in; its rooms were filled with fine furniture, pillows and sheets, robes and shoes and trousers and everything one would need for housekeeping (including a bag of coins on the dining table), yet no one, not even King Turukáno had the power to give him company. Anardil was supposed to find that on his own, but he did not have the slightest idea how to start. Owning the first house in the street meant that he had only one neighbour; and that house seemed empty.

Then again, Anardil could not be sure if anyone would be willing to talk to him at all, let alone be his friend. The Way of Running Waters ran two corners away from his home: and the folk who lived there belonged to the House of the Fountain. Anardil had not forgotten the way Lord Ecthelion treated him at the Council. A leader’s prejudices could easily extend to his household just as well as his circle of friends: he had learned that lesson long ago, in fair Tirion.

Valar, how Anardil missed Voronwë’s company! He had thanked him wholeheartedly for the unexpected help, yet Voronwë remained collected, courteous, and cold as an iceberg, assuring Anardil that he would not wish to indulge in his friendship or company any longer. This decision may or may not have had been related to the fact that since Voronwë refused to open the door for him all day, Anardil had climbed down his roof a few minutes past midnight, sliding through the window.

Anardil was sure he would appreciate if he had a friend this dedicated to him. The Ñoldor were the most bizarre creatures he had ever met indeed.

~ § ~

It would have been a terrible waste to spend such a warm, sunny day lying idly inside. Once it was sufficiently cooled, Anardil refilled his kettle, and stepped out into the garden to observe the state of spice and vegetable seedlings he had planted a few days ago. He wanted to grow them on his own.

Anor’s glow was so warm he did not even dress properly; he had no more than a thin white sheet wrapped around his waist to cover his nakedness. At one point, he even considered to drop that, but the scars around his thighs were still swollen and ugly, and he did not want to see them. He watered his plants instead, humming softly; then, seeing that one lavender was growing very promising fresh leaves in a sunny corner, he burst into song out of joy.

Now there, now there,
now there, good friend
why would you smile so bright?
Why would your laughter
fill my dark halls
at such an early hour?

The moon is gone
the stars asleep
not even Anor shines
Why would you be
so happy now
at the silent dead of night?

Thus spoke to me
the landlord’s son
upon the midnight hour
when I was dancing
all around
new hope shy in my heart

Good landlord’s son,
where I begin?
- I laughed as if I’d burst
Have you ‘ver heard
water running
when you were mad with thirst?

Such things I feel
wildly, I reel
for my dear wish came true:
in Anor’s light
I gently bathe
with my Lady to woo;

Her heart I took
my lute I plucked
or the other way a-round?
I cannot say;
I’ll tell you true -
By honour I am bound!

Anardil shook the last drops of water out of the kettle, running his fingers idly over the leaves of a rosebush – and he was quite taken aback when brushing the leaves aside, he found himself staring into a curious face. As they eyed each other, the intruder gave a low cry, and made a frantic move, as if to cover himself, but Anaril held the branches steadily, and there was nothing to cover himself with.

“Spying on people is a wise thing, if you ask me,” said Anardil cheerfully once he had overcome his general bewilderment. “If they don’t know you’re watching them, they will show their true colours. As it happens, I am exactly what I now must seem to you: a bad-mannered idiot who makes up songs on the spot and talks to his plants. Otherwise, I am quite harmless, I promise you. Fancy a cup of tea? Or a piece of bread and jam, perhaps? They’re from yesterday, but the bread is still soft.”

The intruder swallowed nervously.

“I am…,” he managed. “I am very sorry.”

“Good morn to you, Very Sorry,” said the Teler, extending his hand. “I am Anardil.”

Before he could savour his joke, though, a sudden realisation dawned on him.

“Hey, I know you, don’t I? I saw you in the Council – you’re the King’s scribe with those marvellously swift hands.”

“It might have been someone else you saw,” said the Elf. His voice suddenly seemed much more confident, though a tinge of pink crept up his neck. “King Turukáno has many scribes.”

“You cannot fool me,” Anardil decided. “What a fortunate meeting! Now come on, climb out of those bushes and break your fast with me. You must wait, of course, until I change my flaunting stage of undress.”

To his delight, the intruder followed, and Anardil could have sung and danced around out of sheer joy. He had company!

Rushing back into the house, he dressed, filled his kettle for the third time, then loaded the table with two loaves of bread, butter, vegetables and fruits, honey, several jars of jam and spices, salt and sugar, and even a bowl of cold stew. Now that his purse was heavy, having a guest was a thousand times worth emptying his pantry.

“There is no way I could be worthy of your hospitality, my lord,” the Elf protested, but suddenly, his eyes went wide. “Valar – is that blueberry jam?”

“My favourite,” Anardil lied cheerfully. “I mentioned it to the King, just in case he has a good memory. Come, share it with me!”

“You honour me, my lord,” said the Elf smoothly. “It would be horrendously rude to turn down such a kind offer.”

“Indeed,” Anardil gave a grave nod, and held out the jar with a flourish. “I would be deeply wounded.”

That earned him a startled laugh. “You are one curious elf,” his guest admitted.

“True enough,” said Anardil. “I am curious, in the sense that my eyes and ears – and sometimes hands – wander where they should not. Then, usually, they get burned; but the whole process is terribly amusing.” Unabashedly, he winked. “But to your well-mannered Noldo eyes, I may also seem a little… well, odd.”

“Considering all meanings of the word curious, I find that they all have a chance to prove appropriate,” said his guest, the mazy words of Quenya springing fair and free from his lips. “But I do not think you are odd. You are just… well, different. But that is a good thing. Not many would offer me such a splendid meal if they caught me eavesdropping through their fence.”

“So you admit you were eavesdropping,” Anardil grinned. “I like that.”

“What choice do I have?” The Elf took a measured bite of his bread-and-jam, an expression of utter contentment rushing through his face. “It is true. I was eavesdropping, because I wanted to hear the song that woke me from my best dreams – and when I saw who the singer was, I took my chance. For I am curious about you, Lord Anardil of the Falmari; curious as a scribe, a historian, and a collector of tellings and tales.”

Surely, your sweet tooth has nothing to do with it, Anardil thought, but all he said was,

“Do you have another name then Very Sorry?”

That earned him another laugh.

“I am called Pengolodh,” said the Elf, “and I am told to be a lore-master, but I do not claim that name. You could say that I am the King’s chronicler… one who likes to pick up the role of a scribe from time to time. You see, that last council meeting seemed very promising to me. Grave news arrived to the City and I was almost certain that something interesting would happen.” Pengolodh made a vague gesture with his butter-coated knife. “Something that would be worth writing down. And I am so glad to have attended the Great Council in person – seldom does one witness such a heated debate within these walls! And then there were you, Lord Anardil: the highlight of the whole session. You made my afternoon amusing, and for that, I am forever grateful. If you only knew the rarity of eventful meetings…”

“You, like many others, seem to remain under the false belief that I am some wayward lord,” Anardil could not help but grin. “And that is flattering, really. And yet I must tell you the truth, lore-master, as it is: I made an honest confession at the Council. I am a simple, lowly Elf from Tirion or Alqualondë, as you please – well-travelled for sure, experienced, perhaps a little bit eccentric and in certain things, doubtlessly precocious; but a simple Elf nonetheless.”

“But that is exactly what I am saying!” Pengolodh clapped his hands excitedly. “Yours is a unique perspective, one I have never researched, one I have only dreamed to work with! You are a historian’s dream, Anardil of the Falmari, rushing into our quiet city like a wave of storm, shaking us all from our sleep. Everyone wonders who you are and where you came from; some even claim that you are a wizard, who possesses Fëanáro’s talent of speaking and deceiving.”

“…so you came here to get my story out of me before anyone else does,” Anardil laughed. “Witty!”

“Well,” said Pengolodh, “we happen to be neighbours. I spent the last few weeks with a friend of mine, discussing his new research and I came home yestereve – or maybe I should rather call it this morning, for it was nearing dawn. I was weary and my mind needed rest; thus, it was your song that woke me.”

“Oh, sorry about that,” said Anardil. “I was fairly certain that no one lived in the next house! So… my neighbour is a historian. Unexpected! I must confess, you are not how I imagined such a lore-master.”

“You were convinced we must all be sour, collected, dry dunderheads,” Pengolodh nodded. “A common mistake.”

“I shall know better from now on,” Anardil promised. “And I am sure we can come to an arrangement.”

“And that of which sort?”

“You need a story, right?” Anardil asked innocently. “And I need company. We could call it a trade – stories for evenings out. Since you are a master of lore, you can surely teach me how to behave myself. I, on return, can teach you as many bawdy songs as you’d like. I can tell you of my adventures and you may put them through hammer and anvil, exaggerate them, arrange them into a heroic lay for all I care, you just… you just don’t let me drown in boredom, that is all. Will you accept that?”

There was a moment of silence.

“That seems like a fair deal,” Pengolodh nodded with a small, satisfied smile, and extended his hand. Anardil reached out to clasp it, then hesitated.

“One last thing,” he said. “I am not quite ready to talk about Sauron yet.”

“I hear you,” said Pengolodh. “We shall proceed with any speed you deem comfortable.”

“Thank you,” Anardil smiled earnestly, and squeezed the hand that was offered to him. “That means more to me than you might imagine.”

~ § ~

The next few days passed in a rush, and the two neighbours’ new routine was swiftly and effortlessly established. Anardil woke each day at Anor’s first light, prepared himself a tea, took care of his beloved plants, took a short walk in the nearby streets (sometimes, he made it as far as the Lesser Market where he gathered a few things for his pantry). Near midday, Pengolodh knocked on his door and they broke their fast together, exchanging news and the newest rumours that spread through the King’s Palace. Pengolodh was the source of all the nonsense, insisting that Anardil should be well-versed in such matters if he ever wanted to become involved with the court; and Anardil did not protest, since some of the stories made him shed tears of laughter.

After their meal, they settled down in Pengolodh’s spacious study, and Anardil spoke of his adventures. Pengolodh was adamant about maintaining chronological order, so the first days were spent with vast and rambling accounts on Anardil’s childhood. Yet no matter how detailed Pengolodh’s questions were, no matter how livingly Anardil remembered his journeys on stormy seas, his adventures at distant lands, his neat escapes, his many losses and few gains, he ran out of stories far sooner than he would have liked.

Then came a night they passed in Pengolodh’s study, sinking in soft cushions and sipping wine, when Anardil told the story of his capture and imprisonment in such detail he had never done before. By the end, he was shaking with anguish, and Pengolodh had given up scribbling. He sat with him instead and held his shoulder so tight it almost hurt; and unwillingly, unconsciously, Anardil accepted the comfort.

There was a curious change to their companionship after that day. They spoke no more of their agreement; and Anardil spent long evenings in his neighbour’s study, watching him work through some historic or linguistic text. Later still, he accidentally discovered that Pengolodh wrote poetry from time to time and offered to turn some of those into songs.

The moon went full, then new again; and the neighbours became friends.

He Who Walks In Starlight

Anardil makes new acquaintances, takes an illegal shortcut through Ecthelion's gardens, and has a big revelations about his dreams.

Read He Who Walks In Starlight

XVI. He Who Walks In Starlight

“What on Arda was that about looking decent?” Anardil inquired.

They were standing side by side in a dark, empty alley, faint notes of music and laughter rolling down from the nearby inn to where they waited. Anardil had done what he could in terms of decency, to be sure: he was wearing a long, blue-and-silver robe, the most festive one he could find in his wardrobe. His unruly tresses were tamed with a hairclip, and he wore a pair of new boots.

They made him feel almost like a true lord.

“I wanted to make sure you seemed like a normal person this evening,” said Pengolodh. “I am bringing you somewhere new and you shall meet people there – some of them important. It will not hurt if you look fine, speak well, and in general, behave.”

“And am I good-looking?”

“Well, your robe certainly is.”

They both burst out laughing.

“Where are we going, by the way?” Anardil glanced at his companion. “To the palace?”

“The place is called The Blind Guardian,” said Pengolodh, “and it is something you would perhaps call a tavern. It looks like a tavern, it feels like a tavern, it smells like a tavern; yet in the deeper sense of the term, it is nothing like it. It is… well, it is a place of importance, a place of renown. When two lords come to an agreement, it oft happens at The Blind Guardian. If a young musician wants to try his luck, he goes to The Blind Guardian. If a bunch of historians and other madmen want to spend a night out together, they visit The Blind Guardian… and if you want to buy or arrange something in secret, the Blind Guardian is the place to go as well. Everyone heard of it, and still, no one ever gets caught. 'Tis like a legend: some believe it, some not, but we, scholars know the truth behind.”

“And what unholy thing shall we do in that tavern-that’s-no-tavern this evening?”

“Nothing unholy, mind you,” said Pengolodh elegantly. “I shall introduce you to some people you’d might care to meet. They are my friends, and I hope they will be yours as well. Also, I confess I shall boast a little about how I gained your good will and utter trust in one single day. I ask you to assist and cooperate. Agreement is, let’s say, a bottle of wine every two hours, and you get to choose.”

“Consider it done,” said Anardil with an easy laugh.

“Good. Now let us go!”

They rushed through the lower parts of the city, heading almost straight to the King’s Palace. Not far from the gates, however, they turned left to the Road of Arches, and climbed a set of steep, ivy-mantled stairs at its narrowing end. There opened before them the bushy green park that covered the Square of the Folkwell. Indeed, one who wandered close enough to the centre of the park could clearly hear the chatter of a fresh spring; and as Anardil approached in awe, he glimpsed the light of Ithil glimmering on a thin stream of water, running carelessly downhill. Once the water reached the cobblestones, though, it was immediately led off by small, clever marble ducts and pipes.

“A forest within the City,” Anardil whispered. “Marvellous! This place has all things indeed; all things but the Sea.”

“All but the Sea,” Pengolodh echoed. “Would that I could see it again! But come now; The Guardian is on the other side, and I thought you’d like a walk through the verdure.”

They slid through the park arm in arm, paying little heed to the heads that turned after Anardil as he walked. He’d learned already that the gesture of holding a companion’s arm, which had been considered highly intimate in the old days of Tirion and Alqualondë, was perfectly common in Ondolindë; in fact, it was highly recommended to stay in physical touch with the one you were walking with, lest you’d be swallowed by the crowd in the streets.

A wide path led through the park, illuminated on two sides by colourful lanterns that hung from the trees: some blue, some red, some orange, some green; some golden, some silver; some pink, some purple; and the array of hues went on and on, endlessly. Anardil doubted he had seen each of those colours before.

“Painted glass?” He looked at his companion.

“Good guess,” Pengolodh nodded, somewhat offended. “Although many who have walked this road with me thought they were flameless lamps.”

“Anyone who saw the Kinslayer’s handiwork before would only laugh at that,” Anardil declared with bitter admiration, and turned away from the lamps.

“When did you…” Pengolodh’s sudden halt resulted in an uncomfortable pull in his shoulder. “You did not speak of that when you told me your story!”

“I told you of the time when I was assistant in a stage-house in Tirion, did I not?”

“You did, but…”

“They had one of those Feanorean lamps,” Anardil said in a low voice. “The small kind. It worked marvellously. Such a vivid light… I would oft sit around it late at night, just for the sake of watching. There was nothing burning inside, but something moved beneath the surface. As if the lamp was alive. It was small and precious; I could have pouched it in my pocked if I dared, but it was likely worth more than the whole stage-house itself, so I did not want to risk that.”

“The King gave orders not so long ago to recreate those lamps for mine workers, as I have heard,” said Pengolodh. “And our good Counsellor Lómion succeeded, or at least he made similar ones. Their light is white, though.”

“I thought he was a lore-master,” Anardil raised his brows.

“Was Prince Fëanáro not a lore-master as well? And a fearsome fighter, a poet – and the veriest fool?”

“You have a point, but…,” Anardil closed his mouth immediately as they reached the entrance of the tavern-that-was-no-tavern. The oaken doors were wide open, with a pair of luxurious red curtains tied loosely to the sides in an inviting gesture. Looking up, Anardil glimpsed a large signal on the façade, gleaming bright silver in the embrace of low tree-branches. It read, in archaic Quenya,

HERE STANDS THE INN TO THE BLIND GUARDIAN
FOR TIRED HEROES-TO-BE TO SIT AND WAIT
UNTIL THE NIGHT PASSES

“…tenn'auta i lómë,” Anardil read with an effort, furrowing his brows. The words tasted foreign on his tongue. “And what is that supposed to mean?”

“It is an allusion to the Lay of Arinion the Great," Pengolodh said. “I do not think you have ever heard about it – a friend and myself have picked it up from the Dark Elves, a long time ago; and in our youthful arrogance, we re-worked it a bit so it would suit our traditions better. Somehow, the story was entirely forgotten through the years, and nothing more than our voice and quills carried it to this city. It was my friend's suggestion to name the inn after Arinion.”

“And what is the lay about?”

“That is a fair question,” Pengolodh nodded approvingly. “What is any lay about? Perhaps they all tell us the same thing, perhaps they tell us nothing. Perhaps they are trying to teach lessons, perhaps they were written to woo a lady or scorn a lord. Perhaps they were written as a bedtime story for the author’s children and with time, they became a lesson for us all.”

“All right, Master of Subtle Secrecy,” Anardil rolled his eyes. “How does the story go, then?”

Pengolodh stayed silent for so long, Anardil was beginning to doubt he was about to answer at all. When he finally did, his voice was that of a storyteller.

“Arinion was a prince in the realm of Intyalë. He was young, strong, fair of face and many deemed him wise, yet he was never pleased or satisfied with his own valour: he wanted to be a Hero, and the greatest of that name. It happened thus that he set out and travelled all the known and unknown world. When he had journeyed for seven times seven years, he encountered Manwë Súlimo, King of All Things himself and his brother Námo, Lord of the Sleeping and Passing. Both were in disguise, and Arinion was kind to them, even if their glamour made them seem frail and fragile. He offered them the comfort of his tent, the warmth of his fire and the luxury of his finest food and drink; and in exchange for that, Manwë, King of All Things revealed his face to Arinion, and gave his counsel on how to become a true hero."

A Hero has seven faces, he said. He has the face of a lore-master, an adventurer, a warrior, a guardian, counsellor, a lord, and finally, that of a King. Thou shalt need to be all those seven things at once, son; then and only then shalt thou become a Hero. – Thus spoke Manwë, King of All Things, and Arinion thanked him kindly, for good was his counsel and wisdom was in his words. Yet Námo, Lord of the Sleeping and Passing spoke up as well and said: That is what makes one a Hero indeed. Yet thy wish is to become the greatest of them all; therefore, thy trials to prove thy valour must be all the harder. Hast thou the bravery, the endurance, the humbleness to become a lore-master while thou hast no memory? An adventurer while thou art seasick, and afraid of heights? A warrior whilst thou fear thy own shadow? A guardian while thou art blind? A counsellor while thou art mute? A lord without men to command, and a King without a crown?”

“And lo! As soon as Námo, Lord of the Sleeping and Passing spoke these words, Arinion lost his memory; and thus began his Seven Sufferings and Tribulations. For each trial, he lost the very ability, the very talent in himself that would have been essential to carry out the task at hand: his voice, his power, his eyesight… Yet his will was strong, his heart good and his soul pure, and he passed all trials. At the end, he became not only the greatest Hero, but the most renowned lore-master, the most seasoned adventurer, the strongest warrior, the keenest guardian, the wisest counsellor, the most graceful lord and the most just King of all times. And the Valar saw that, and rejoiced.”

Pengolodh’s voice trailed off. They both watched the shadowy figure of the bartender moving back and forth inside the building. A gust of wind played with the curtains and made the door’s hinges creak.

“There you have the story in short,” Pengolodh spoke up again, hesitantly. “You would want to hear the whole ballad tonight – its story is no work of art, for it has been forming itself for centuries by folk who sang it to others, and other folk who sang it in return; yet the one, more or less crystallized version is heart-warming.”

“Why is it always Námo who has to ruin things?” Anardil asked, grinning. “I thought we, Teleri were the only ones who held that fact as tradition. It is unfair, surely, considering that Manwë, King of All Things has another, slightly more problematic brother.”

“Lord Námo ruined nothing,” Pengolodh raised his brows. “He gave Arinion the Great the very chance to become – well, Arinion the Great.”

“He must have been very thankful for that. Especially when he lost his eyesight.”

“At the end, he was thankful, and his humbleness earned him his titles and experience. That is the moral of the story.”

“I don't like the moral of stories,” Anardil crossed his arms. “The very term seems haughty and pretentious to me. Stories have morals only for those who hear them from afar: at the comfortable distance of not being involved. Which, essentially, is nothing less than an insult towards the real heroes in those tales.”

That earned him a sharp, lingering look from his companion, but Pengolodh said naught else on the matter. “Come, let us enter,” he said instead. “Follow me and be courteous, the way I've taught you.”

Having no time to protest, Anardil followed the Noldo's smooth footsteps inside the inn.

~ § ~

The first thing to strike him inside the famed Blind Guardian was the abundance of curtains and hidden corners. The building had no second or third floor as most taverns in Tirion did; it expanded mostly backwards instead, working its way amongst the verdure like a giant labyrinth. The shadowy, spacious room that had first seemed to be the main piece of the inn was, in truth, only its entrance; at the far end of the room, there stood a small bar with a bored-looking keeper tending to it. Behind his back yawned seven open doors, each of which seemed to lead out to a different looking corridor.

Pengolodh stepped forth, presented a bow that seemed far too formal to match the occasion, and said,

“Hail and well met! Tired wanderer as I am, I would much appreciate the hospitality of this house, and perhaps a Loremaster’s Mischief. As for my friend here – he is a new resident of our City, yet he deserves no less.”

Anardil tried very hard not to smile triumphantly upon hearing the term ‘friend’, but his face betrayed him. The bartender nodded, unmoved, and poured two cups of red wine, so dark and dense that it was almost black.

“Let us drink to the King’s health,” said Pengolodh; he picked up his own cup and drank the wine in one long swallow. Anardil did likewise, silently appreciating the bouquet; it was thick and sweet, and it smelled of fresh grapes and summer. It almost felt like drinking stum.

The bartender then stood aside, and Pengolodh grabbed Anardil’s arm - less gently than before - and led him through the first door from the left. Anardil found himself in one of the dark corridors he had glimpsed before, framed by richly carved columns and abundant decoration; but very soon, the corridor took an abrupt turn and he bumped into a bookshelf, overloaded with thick volumes and dust-smelling parchments.

“Careful!” Pengolodh snapped. “Some of those are hundreds of years old!”

“What the…” Anardil tossed a thick pile of linguistic studies back to the shelf and looked around in awe. It seemed that they had walked right into an ancient archive; there were bookshelves looming in the dimly lit piece as far as he could see. “Is this... a library?”

“This is the Lore-masters’ Lair,” said Pengolodh, as if this was the most predictable evidence one’s mind could convey. “Lore is found and acknowledged through reading. If it is silence and studies that you seek, this is your place to dwell in The Guardian. But come now! My friends are waiting for us.”

Six turns and several dimly lit corridors later, just when the sore wounds on Anardil’s thighs were starting to ache, they walked through an open door, into a room that bathed in candle-light. It was a large chamber, slightly similar in build to the one with the bartender, but there were no further rooms opening from it. It was furnitured with large, comfortable armchairs instead, all of which were placed around a wide round table with a merrily burning hearth behind it. Around the table sat five Elves; three of them reading, one of them scribbling, and another one looking up at them as they entered, beckoning them closer with a smile and a wave.

“You are late, Quendo,” he said in an amiable, but slightly accusing tone. “I trust you have enough reason to defend yourself?”

“I do indeed,” said Pengolodh smoothly. “I brought you the one you were seeking. Let me introduce you, my friends, Anardil himself of the Falmari.”

All well-rehearsed gestures of courtesy were forgotten in an instant as Anardil made a realization.

“Your name - Pengolodh!” He said. “How did I never realize it before – it is Sindarin!”

A small creak of disapproval appeared between Pengolodh’s brows, but Anardil paid no heed to it.

“It must be a translation, of course,” he said. “Which raises the very evident question why did you let me know how your name sounded in my language. Did you want me to understand you better? Did you want me to see you as less of a stranger? Is your name so foreign to you that you prefer to use it in another speech…?” He suddenly realised where he was. “Oh, forgive me, good lords. Please receive my greetings.”

“Received!” said one of the Elves, placing down his large book. “And lo! That is a fair question indeed, that of Master Quendingoldo and his name. I would much like to hear the answer myself.”

“Your companion is every bit as crude as the stories describe him,” said the previous Elf, grinning. “Such a level of honesty, however, is nothing if not admirable.”

“It has been a long time since anyone called me honest,” said Anardil. “Rude is a much more common case; but my people have a saying that goes, there is no smoke without a fire. There may be some truth to those stories, even if my scandalous level of righteousness is not something I can deliberately change, or even acknowledge.”

“Can one ever acknowledge themselves?” said a third voice from the shadows. “What say you to that, Master Anardil?”

Anardil fell silent for a few seconds. He knew when he was tested.

“I say yes,2 he answered, hesitantly. “Just as much as one may be certain that the sky is blue; even if at times, it is clearly grey or black or even purple. Just as much as one can claim that there is healing and consolation in the Halls of Mandos, even though they never dwelled there. Just as much as one may claim that they do not fear death or blood or shadow or prison when they have never seen them. Only as much as one may hope when hope seems foolish or even a lie. One can think that they acknowledge themselves; for even if our fëar have their limits, the only true way to acknowledgement is thinking. Whether one can acknowledge himself justly is entirely another question.”

A strange sort of silence followed his words; and suddenly, Anardil became very much aware of all the clear grey Noldo eyes on him.

“I must be very drunk,” he mumbled apologetically, and laughter broke out around him.

“You should drink up, my friend,” said one of the Elves, and Anardil’s heart fluttered upon being called a friend for the second time that evening. “I wish my ventures in the hazy realm of drunkenness made me spit phrases like that.”

“Luckily for all of us, you keep spitting them even without a sip,” Pengolodh quipped.

Laughter rose again, and Anardil sat down in one of the armchairs, facing the burning hearth. His friend settled beside him, and they slipped back to their previously rehearsed roles: that of the boasting scholar and his new acquaintance. Anardil listened dutifully to the Elves’ mazy names, as if he could hope to remember them at first hearing; he recounted his first meeting with Pengolodh (detailedly describing his stage of undress and his utter astonishment when he found a spy in his rose-bushes), then improvised an ode to Pengolodh’s wisdom, empathy and the way he honoured him with his friendship. It then fell to Pengolodh to present a revised version of Anardil’s story; and the Teler had to admit that it did have a nice ring to it, now that it was all tidied up and written down with nice calligraphy.

And that evening, for the first time in decades, he felt like someone respectable and valuable, surrounded by friends.

~ § ~

‘I can’t believe I forgot to ask your friends about the Lay of Arinion!” Anardil grieved much-much later as they crossed the park arm in arm again, relying on each other to ease the curious swaying of their steps. It almost felt as though they were boarding a ship.

“None of them could have answered that,” Pengolodh said measuredly. “The friend I had collected the story with... she did not pass to greet us today. It was a busy night, of course – she must have been working.”

Pengolodh’s voice voice trailed off, and for the thousandth time that night, Anardil was left in the dark. The Blind Guardian was home to many curious things, and nothing was, in fact, more curious than those who worked there. All of them wore names like Lómelindë, Parmaitë or Ránasta: names that were tailored and cut like fine clothing: names that fit them, yet were not truly theirs. All servants of the inn were polite, silent, and swift as shadows, yet pleasant to have around whenever they appeared. The drinks had strange names, too, such as ‘The Wayward Moon’ or ‘King’s Bane’; and when Anardil tried to make fun of the habit by ordering a “Bystander’s Bollocks’, he was offered a cup of dry, white wine that seemed to fit the description quite spectacularly.

Yet the greatest mystery of all appeared to be the innkeeper. Anardil supposed they had to be a very strong, fearsome Elf, for no one, not even Pengolodh spoke their name; and his friend appeared to be slightly blushing whenever the innkeeper was mentioned.

It might have been only the wine, though.

Yet now, as they were waddling their way back home, Anardil seemed so grieved by his missed chance that Pengolodh gave in with an exhausted sigh.

“I’d need to read my notes to recall how the lay starts,” he said, “yet I know that before each of his Trials and Tribulations started, Arinion had to enter a gate; there were seven gates, just as there were Seven Sufferings. And it was when he entered the fifth gate that he lost his clear, ringing voice that had always been a pleasure to listen to; and alas! this grieved him so, for it was his fifth mission to become the greatest Counsellor the world has ever known. Yet there he was, out in the wilderness with foes around, and he was not even able to call out for help.”

And softly, Pengolodh sang,

On blood-steeped soil he lay,
above him crows sang shrill
and no other sound was heard
atop the lonely hill;
he crawled on hands an’ knees
as one crawls on cruel ice
there was no gentle breeze
to blow his hair from his eyes.
Moved Arinion’s mouth:
“All flowers shall wither”
no voice escaped his lungs
and no-one came thither;
“In sorrow it has started,
in sorrow it must end!”
Alas! his strength was gone
his voice, gone with the wind.

And the night was passing,
yet another came to loom;
so black, blacker than ink
so black, blacker than doom;
many years would he wonder
many years would he hope
yet he would not find his way,
for the mountains were cold;
for the windy slopes were high
the peaks icy and cold
and he had no voice to shout
his heart empty and cold.

And in starlight he walked
draping himself in clouds
in cavern’s shade he hid
in breaches he lay down;
and on he wandered still
and on he wandered more
yet to dead end he came:
for the Gates, the Gates were closed -

“...but Anardil, my dear friend, what ails you?” Pengolodh exclaimed, staring into the other Elf’s shocked, stricken face.

“Oh,” said Anardil, “nothing. Nothing, really. It's just – I am slightly surprised if you care to know.”

“You’re looking at me as if Lord Námo had his hand around your wrist and you were about to answer his call.”

“It is but the ghost of the hand, and the echo of the call,” Anardil whispered. “Yet for a moment, I felt as if I was... no, no, forget that. I rarely drink this much, and I sleep rather badly sometimes. I am mixing things up. I am giving too much significance to certain coincidences. It is most intriguing, though...”

What?” Pengolodh lost his patience. “You babble as if you were reciting the choir’s lines from some tragedy. Speak your mind!”

“It appears,” said Anardil, “that I’ve been seeing dreams about Arinion. All this time, only about him; and I had no idea! Indeed, it is all clear as day now: the sea, the storm, the shadows, the foes and the crows. It was him! Now this is clearly a sign that is above my means of understanding; yet I shall search for my answers, relentlessly, until I find them.”

“You dreamed of Arinion?” Pengolodh’s voice was very serious, even though he had to grab hold of a fence in order to set himself straight. “Are you certain?”

“No,” said Anardil truthfully. “I am probably too drunk to be certain of anything. We shall speak of these matters on the morrow; nothing more than thinking of those dreams gives me the chills.”

“We still have almost ten minutes to go,” Pengolodh sighed, as if that meant the end of the world. “And dawn is not far. Will you not tell me now?”

“You will not remember anything once you get sober, and I shan’t bother explaining myself for a second time,” Anardil grinned; then he gave a sudden start. “But wait... ten minutes? How is that possible?! You see that tower over there? ‘Tis only two corners away from my house. And that other house after the bend in the road opens to the Way of Running Waters. We’re very close!”

“No, we’re not – we have to go all the way around. There is no path between the buildings before us; these are lorldy quarters here with parks, fountains and street-long arbours.”

“Then those lords can all go to the Enemy’s seven hells with their fountains and arbours,” Anardil declared, once he gave the matter a few moments of consideration. “I’m weary and hungry, and I’m going as the crow flies.”

And he shook out his cloak with a flourish, then pulled himself halfway up on a gleaming silver fence, his legs searching for hold.

What – are – you – doing?!” Pengolodh whispered, scandalized.

“Going home. What do you think I’m doing, setting the City on fire?!”

“Those are Lord Ecthelion’s gardens!”

“They will serve as a shortcut just as any other. If you intend to fret your legs all around the City in this impossible hour, I’m not standing in your way – but I shall go through here. So are you coming or not?”

“There is no way I would ever do this,” Pengolodh said, and he pulled himself up onto the fence beside Anardil. “This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.”

“You did not see much, then, for a historian,” the Teler said nonchalantly, and grabbed hold of a nearby tree-branch. He sank his knee into a breach on the top of the fence, balancing his weight between two spikes of shining metal. His feet and knees were both on the other side now.

You’re drunk!” Pengolodh spit out what appeared to be his final argument.

“I’m drunk, you’re drunk, the whole world is drunk,” Anardil sang, and he chuckled. He had not felt this alive in a very long time.

“Anardil,” Pengolodh pleaded. “This counts as trespassing! And a very ridiculous way of trespassing, at that.”

“Only if Lord Fancy Helmet catches us,” Anardil shrugged, and there was a strange, wild edge to his smile. “And what would such a mighty Elf do outside in his gardens at this hour? All decent people are asleep! Yes, of course, you are decent as well, I see it in your eyes; just climb back, then, and go around like all the others! Sweet dreams – we shall speak tomorrow!”

And he swung his legs, jumped (perhaps a bit less gracefully than intended), then waited.

Pengolodh landed beside him a few moments later, muttering phrases that did surely not match any decent person’s vocabulary. There were stray tree branchlets stuck in his dark hair, and his robes were dirtied with grass-marks, which considerably diminished his charms as a renowned scholar.

“If I get caught because of you...,” he hissed, “I swear I don’t know what I’ll do to you, but you’re going to regret it.”

“Very menacing.”

“Just listen!” Pengolodh grabbed the sleeve of his robe and turned him around. “We’re about to make a terrible mistake. We should climb back – now.

“You're no fun at all,” Anardil complained. “Come on, it’s just a minute. We cross the park, we go around the fountains, climb the fence on the other side, and we’re home. You act like we were about to march through the Iron Prison. What is that you're afraid of?”

“I’m not afraid,” Pengolodh said, precisely articulating every word. The drunken haze of the evening was entirely gone from his wide eyes. “It just seems like a bad idea.”

“It seems good enough to me,” Anardil declared merrily. “It wouldn’t hurt to explore these gardens a bit.”

“That’s what I thought,” Pengolodh lamented, but when Anardil hit the narrow path leading into the garden, he was still walking beside him. “You’re a bad-mannered idiot who somehow always finds his way out of trouble with his charm. You know that you do – and you count on that! Where do you get the courage, the guts, the cheekiness to do whatever the hell you please?! And why am I so envious of that?”

“I don’t know,” said Anardil happily. “Stars above, look at that!” He strayed off the path to contemplate a fountain, chattering merrily below a circle of slender, flowering cherry trees. It was carved of clean marble, and its top formed the statue of a fierce, heavily armed warrior. “Do you think it depicts the lord of the House? Do you think he’d filled his halls with marble busts of his likeness and made all of them spit gold?”

Pengolodh raised his brows. “You’re still a little cross with him for the way he treated you in the Council, are you not?”

“Me? Cross? Oh no, not at all,” said Anardil, and he gave the fountain a last, indecorous look before turning away. “I’m a blessedly good soul, my friend. I am never cross with people. Not even with Voronwë for treating me like dirt on his soles. I am merely curious – well, I want to know why people act the way they do. Yet I think I will never comprehend it. I think I will never know why you are still following me, for one.”

“Because you’re drunk as a fiddler,” said Pengolodh, “and I don’t want you to get in trouble. Most likely, of course, I’m throwing myself into the pit as well, but at least that will be a pit for two.”

“You’re such a wonderful person,” Anardil sighed dreamily. “Why are you not married?”

“Don’t let the wine make you ask stupid questions,” said Pengolodh; and Anardil was too dazed to hear that his voice had an edge to it.

~ § ~

They encountered no one in the park, nor in the courtyard, nor on the narrow garden path as they sneaked around Lord Ecthelion’s house. A horse whinnied at them as they passed along its lair, but Anardil gave it a privy “psst!” and patted its nose. Pengolodh stifled a laugh at the ease his friend walked around the whole domain, just as if it was his.

And just as their minds were starting to clear, just as the specks of dust in the air were beginning to swim in the red beams of the rising sun, just as they glimpsed the great fence on the other side that opened out almost directly to Anardil’s own gardens, they heard the sounds of a debate.

“I have told you a million times,” said a heated voice, “that my dreams mean nothing. Nothing! They’re simple nightmares – irksome and disturbing for certain, but nightmares all the same! They shall pass with time. They have much to do with Findaráto’s death, you know how it shook me. I appreciate your concern, but I am all right, or at least, I will be. And now, if we have nothing else to discuss...”

“No! No, no and a thousand times no!” said a voice Anardil recognised as Lord Ecthelion’s. “Why would you lie both to me and to yourself? You know that you need help – why are you so reluctant to accept it?! Your dreams, Fin, are trying to tell you something! They are signalling something: you said that yourself, the first time you told me about them! You can’t ignore this any longer; look at yourself, the dark circles beneath your eyes! When was the last time you’ve had a whole night of deep, undisturbed sleep?”

“Yesterday,” said Captain Laurefindil of Ondolindë, quite dryly. “I am perfectly fine, thank you; the dreams are getting scarce.”

There was a short pause.

“I don’t believe you,” said Ecthelion. “Do you believe yourself? Because if the answer is yes, you are worse off than I have thought.”

“What should I do, then?!” Laurefindil sighed, depleted. “Knock on the King’s door and apologise for no longer attending to my duties, on the pretext of losing sleep? I cannot do that! I should get over these dreams and live my life, the life we have always known. You exaggerating my problems will not help.”

“And do you think it would help if you just... slept here sometimes?” said Lord Ecthelion in a much lower, softer voice. “We could share a goblet or two, speak about whatever you please – then you could just stretch out in my guestroom and perhaps find peace. And if your nightmares come back and I hear you shouting, I”ll be there in a split second, and chase their darkness away.”

“Honestly, my friend, I’m touched that you would do such a thing for me,” said Captain Laurefindil, “but I can’t accept it. You have a life, too...”

“You have always been there for me when I really needed it,” said Lord Ecthelion sincerely. “I would be honoured to do the same. You – you’re like a brother to me.”

Anardil would have really liked to swallow a chortle at such a timid confession coming from him, but – to his great dismay – he felt probably as touched as Laurefindil himself. Pengolodh cowered beside him without a sound; by the looks of him, he was determined to pretend he did not even exist.

“Thank you,” said the Captain after a long silence. “Thank you kindly. And forgive me. I did not mean to snap at you like that. I only... I don’t understand why these dreams have such an effect on me. They are not even truly frightening, and yet they exhaust me, they bother me, they never cease to gnaw on me. When shall I be free of them?”

“As soon as we find out what they mean, my friend,” said Lord Ecthelion sternly. “And trust me, we will. Together, we will.”

A few moments later, Anardil heard the sound of closing shutters, and when no other noise than the chirping of crickets was to be heard for several minutes, he emerged from the bush he’d been hiding in, continuing his stroll in the lord’s gardens as if nothing had happened. Pengolodh soon caught up with him, his eyes never leaving his friend’s face, not even when they successfully climbed through the fence at the other end of the property.

“All right,” he finally spoke up when they arrived at Anardil’s doorstep. “Are you happy now? We’ve just witnessed a private conversation, wasting much more time than we would have spent if we’d simply walked all the way around.”

“I am not happy,” said Anardil, “but confused. For a reason I cannot truly determine, my friend, I’m now convinced that Captain Laurefindil and I are seeing the exact same dreams. And that – if true – is most unsettling.”

“How will you prove that?” Pengolodh glanced at him. “He would never share such private matters with you.”

“Probably not. But Lord Fancy Helmet here would do anything for his friend, or haven’t you heard?” Anardil grinned, sinking back to his strange mood. “So I, as you have promptly guessed yourself, will now proceed to do whatever the hell I please. And you, my friend, will help me with it this time."


Chapter End Notes

Author's Notes

On names:

Quendingoldo is the Quenya version of Pengolodh's name, meaning "teaching sage" / "doctor of lore".

Arinion means "Son of morning" or "Son of dawn".
Lómelindë stands for Nightingale [literal: dusk-singer] (male version), Parmaitë stands for "book-handy" and Ránasta means "Lunar month".

Interruptions

Conflicts arise in the Himring, and Tyelcano has a very rough day - then, a message from the High King makes it even rougher.

Read Interruptions

The Fortress of Himring, FA 467, the fifteenth day of Lótessë

“Lord Nelyo,” said Counsellor Tyelcano for the fifth time, “is weary. He has been weary ever since the last time your lordship inquired about him, which was exactly twenty-four and a half minutes ago; and sadly, if you look for him in another twenty-four and a half minutes, I shall probably have to send you away again. Let him rest.”

“It is important,” repeated Maglor stubbornly. “I must speak with him about a very pressing matter. As I have told you before, it concerns the safety of Himlad and our people.”

“And as I have told you before, Lord Nelyo gave me precise orders that I should tend to all matters of the household this morning, and I should make all urgent decisions in his stead. Therefore, it would be best if you sat down, my lord, and told me what happened, so we could take the necessary course of action.”

After a few seconds of silence, Tyelcano added, “This is a strange occasion to question my competence in leadership, Lord Makalaurë. If the inquiry is not too forward, may I ask when and how did I earn such mistrust?”

Maglor collapsed into the armchair facing the great desk in Maedhros’s study. It felt strange to look at him – Tyelcano was used to sitting at the other side of the table.

“There is no need to see offense where there is none, Counsellor! There isn’t a soul in this castle who can deny your capability. If I told you about my intentions, though, you would restrain me from doing anything stupid… and that, on this special occasion, goes against my very plans.”

“…which suggests that you are planning to do something stupid,” said Tyelcano, “and you expect Lord Nelyo to help. Tell me, why are masters of art always drawn to lost causes?”

“They inspire the best songs,” said Maglor, and he smiled; but the smile did not reach his eyes.

Their conversation seemed to halt at this point, but the Counsellor did nothing against it. He proceeded to read another report instead, corrected two grammatical errors with a sigh, then placed the parchment on top of a slowly collapsing tile.

“Nelyo would try to understand,” Maglor pressed. “And maybe, maybe he would approve of my plans.”

Tyelcano’s quill stopped above the next parchment, stayed there for a moment, then it was placed neatly back in the inkwell.

“I can see two ways to solve our situation, lordship,” he heard himself saying. “One: you sit back in that thrice-damned chair and tell me all about your plans… And two: you turn around and leave. I have been reading reports since the third hour of the day and I am at the very end of my patience.”

“If anyone told me that your patience had an end, I would not believe them,” Maglor raised his brows in a way that bordered insolence. “But now that I know it does, I would rather not find out what is beyond. All right, I shall stay if you will listen to me; but I want my brother to hear about everything I said. Today.”

“I will make sure of that,” Tyelcano leaned back in his chair.

“Good,” Maglor, to his astonishment, didn’t immediately start speaking. Instead, he looked around the room, picked up a chessboard from a nearby table, and placed it upon the desk, in front of the Counsellor; only then did he sit back.

“This is Beleriand,” he declared, running his slender fingers along the board. “This is the Himring,” he said then, and placed a white rook at the far edge. “There is Angamando and the Anfauglith.” A black rook and two black pawns around the top-middle. “The scattered Orc forces in Himlad.” One black pawn west, and one south of the Himring. “What remains of the Gap.” A black rook with two black pawns. “And here we are!”

Two white knights and three white pawns were stuffed around the Himring, and Tyelcano was beginning to hope that the conversation would not take the most likely course of purpose.

Then, of course, it did.

“Even a child can say that we are surrounded,” said Maglor, the outlines of his face hard and sharp in the morning light. “We’re an isle floating idly upon a poisonous sea. The longer we pretend we’re safe, the harder our walls shall crush down. We should clean Beleriand up, starting with our own homeland – starting with Himlad.”

Tyelcano took a deep breath, ready to interrupt, but Maglor raised a finger.

“Yes, Counsellor. I know what any sane person would say: we’re too few, too weary. Too far from our kinsmen, with no place to return to if we tire ourselves in Orc-hunting at the far south or east. We would need at least another castle to do such a deed: at least another safe haven for our people to return to.”

“One other at the very least,” Tyelcano nodded.

“The very least should be enough, should it not? Well, if you acknowledge the need for it yourself, you might as well approve my intention of retaking the Gap. All I need is the accord of my brother to gather my men and leave.”

There was a swift, almost invisible flash in Maglor’s eyes, as if the weight of his own words made him recoil; but it was no more than a passing impression.

Valar above… he must have truly meant what he said!

Tyelcano forced himself to count to ten in his head, lest he would start screaming or tearing his hair out.

“Cundunya,” he said, his voice calm as a frozen lake, unaware of his use of the outdated title, “your brother doesn’t have armies stuffed in his pockets. The few soldiers he does have are either exhausted and scarcely armed – as you have mentioned yourself – or constantly out scouting. I fear that you might be asking too much.”

“I don’t need much,” Maglor looked him in the eye. “Our enemies are unprepared, and not fit for a true battle. I think a hundred scouts would suffice... I would gather solely those who were my own followers, and my castle had been their home – my castle, which is now a hothouse for thieving Orcs and other monsters. Surely, my brother shall grant me the permission to hunt them down.”

Tyelcano shook his head. “Perhaps the Orcs are unprepared for such an assault, yet so are we. You are Lord Nelyo’s eldest brother. You are valuable in our enemies’ eyes; if captured again, you would get them a ransom you cannot imagine, and you would be carried off to Angamando, to suffer a fate that is far worse than death. We cannot risk that! Your last escape was a miracle, and you shan’t be that lucky next time. Sending you – or anyone else – off with a hundred scouts would mean risking a hundred lives to take a castle we cannot man, renovate, or even keep. And you seven, the heirs of Fëanáro, the Sons of the Star should all gather and stay together, here within these walls. Do not scatter your forces to chase dreams! Our household is not that strong, nor that wealthy anymore; yet with all our forces united, our eyes keen, our spirits steeled, we may survive, as we have survived the Battle of Flames and all the horrors that followed.”

Maglor’s face hardened into an expressionless mask.

“Lord Counsellor,” he said slowly. “I have been captured and tormented by Orcs – in the light of day, during a ride that was supposed to be a routine scouting. My men were killed in front of my own eyes, and I was tossed and turned and kicked and lashed upon the ground like some rag doll, stripped and trampled into the ground with those filthy beasts standing above me, spitting on me, laughing at me. I shall not tolerate the memory of that any longer. It was an insult to my person and title. It was humiliating.”

His tone would have made Tyelcano wince if he wasn’t so terribly tired.

“Do you hear me, servant of my House?!” Maglor spoke with a vehemence that almost invoked his father. “I felt devastated. I felt like a helpless child. I, a Lord of the House of Fëanáro and a former High King of the Ñoldor, will not abide such flagrant insults to my dignity! I will avenge them! I will chase the filthy Orc-scum out of their dwellings and I will pull the hair out of their skulls, strand by strand! I will make them taste the lash like they made me! I will make them crawl before my feet and fear my name!” His voice was steadily getting stronger. “I deserve that much! Give me men and let me end this ridiculous retreat we’ve been doing for the past years! We’re still Lords of the West, and Moringotto’s thralls should learn to fear our names again. Where is the Lord Counsellor I have known, the one who wielded both the quill and the sword…? Where is the Hero of the Battle of Flames…?”

“That was Lord Nelyo, I only assisted,” Tyelcano sighed, suddenly overwhelmed by sympathy and a deep sort of understanding. “My lord… my child, listen to me…”

“I am no child, who needs your consolation and pity,” Maglor seethed. “I WANT JUSTICE! DO YOU – OR ARE YOU A COWARD?”

 “JUSTICE?!”

It seemed that Tyelcano’s patience truly had an end, after all – right there. It felt as though all the blood had run out of his face; the air seemed to grow hot around him, his heart was suddenly racing, and his hands trembled. Still, he schooled himself, tightening his fists, taking several deep breaths, and raising his chin. His voice rumbled like a summer storm, and his eyes were ablaze as he spoke.

“If you want justice, my child, go straight to Moringotto’s doorstep, and bid him to kindly hand over your father’s holy Jewels; and tear the Iron Prison down with your own nails and teeth if he does not! Then go and break through the Gates of Mandos, and bring back all the lonely, sorrowful souls who have suffered because of the Enemy’s work, and climb up the Taniquetil with them to appease the Powers! I wish you luck.”

Maglor sprang to his feet, and knocked the chessboard over with a loud snap.

“I came here to receive your counsel, not to suffer your arrogance and mockery! Aye, it is justice what I desire, and whatever you may say, I shall have it!”

Tyelcano ignored the hot flames of indignation in the pit of his stomach.

“Justice, as an absolute entity, is non-existent, lordship,” he said with an effort. “The wish for justice was what made Moringotto turn his back on the Valar… and justice is what your father was chasing as well. Behold, what it brought upon all our heads!”

“How dare you!” Maglor hissed. “How dare you utter Father’s and the Enemy’s name in the same sentence?!”

“What is the meaning of this?”

The voice was faint and raspy, but it held enough authority for them both to swallow the rest of their argument and get on their feet.

Maedhros was standing in the doorway, a green cloak pulled tightly around his lean figure. The hemlines of a nightshirt could be seen around his neck, as far down as his collar-bones. Tyelcano could hardly remember the last time he saw his lord in a state this close to dishevelled; it seemed that he’d been shaken from his best dreams, even though the dark circles around his eyes suggested that he’d been awake for at least a few nights in a row. And yet his countenance was still stern and imperious, and the light in his grey eyes bright and lively.

He is losing sleep again, and here we are, ruining his few precious hours of undisturbed rest, Tyelcano scolded himself.

“Lord Nelyo,” He bowed, his voice devoid of all emotion. “I am terribly sorry for this flare-up, and even more ashamed of my rash and ugly words towards your brother. I got… carried away.”

 “What happened?”

“We were engaged in an argument, and I didn’t take his opinion well,” said Maglor. “It was my fault. The Counsellor has been working all night and I didn’t take that into account.” With that, he turned to Tyelcano. “I am truly sorry, my lord. I was inconsiderate.”

“And most of all, lordship, you were being irresponsible,” the Counsellor sighed. “Thankfully, it is over now – I hope that what was previously a quarrel shall turn to a fruitful clash of views between the pair of you. And now, if my lords shall both excuse me, I must return to my reports.”

“Absolutely not,” said Maedhros sternly. “I shall have no enmity within my walls. We will talk about this matter now, whatever it may be. Sit back.”

“You need rest, lordship,” Tyelcano insisted.

 “Then do not tarry,” Maedhros tilted his head. “That concerns you as well, Kano. I don’t think anyone else than Father has ever managed to make our dearest Counsellor spit flames like that.” When he received no immediate answer, he looked meticulously around the room, noticing the disorder. “People who smash chessboards to my favourite oaken floor are usually people who have things to say. Please, do go on. I am a great listener.”

Tyelcano sat mutely in the lord’s chair for several seconds. His eyes wandered off to Maglor’s face, who seemed to have swallowed his tongue. Next to Maedhros, he was almost like a ghost with his pale skin, his dark robe, and those wide grey eyes, now partly hid behind the curtain of his raven hair. His wrath had faded, and to Tyelcano, he suddenly seemed colder than the ever-changing Moon; and Maedhros, though weary and scarred, shone like the Sun itself next to him, burning him… outshining him.

Yet all of this was no more than a passing impression in Tyelcano’s head, a sharp, telling image that stuck in his mind’s eye; and before he could put it into thought or words, Maglor collected himself, straightened his back as he sat, and spoke up.

“I can see now that the Counsellor was right about my plans: they were not presented well, and consequently, they may have seemed rash. I shall try a different approach. What I want, Nelyo, is solely to…”

There was a loud knack on the door; so assertive, so determined that Maglor swallowed the rest of his sentence, Tyelcano sprang to his feet, and Maedhros said,

“Enter – and pray that you have reason enough to disturb us!”

It was Antalossë, the young scout who answered from the gap of the door, his breath rapid and inordinate, as if he’d been running all the way up from the training fields.

“Lord Warden, Lord Makalaurë, Lord Counsellor,” he jabbered, bowing deeply, “a messenger has arrived from Barad Eithel, and it was so exciting – I mean, my lords, that he was racing as if the Enemy’s fire-spitting demons were in his heels, and he told me –“

“I cannot wait to hear what he told you, child,” Maedhros interrupted with a small smile, “but I would like to read the message first.”

“That is not possible, Lord Warden – there is no written word, that is –  it is a private message from the High King.”

A small crease appeared between Maedhros’s brows, his gaze suddenly much more intent.

“Let him in immediately. I cannot wait to hear what my cousin has to say.”

“The messenger is on his way uphill, my lord,” Antalossë bowed once again. “As soon as I saw him, I ran so I could tell you… in fact, the squires always run in the stories to tell their lords about such news, so I took the courage…”

Antalossë made Maedhros smile for the second time in the past ten minutes – a remarkable achievement, Tyelcano thought -, nevertheless, the lord raised his hand to silence him.

“Bring him here, young one, as soon as he enters the gates - and make sure that his horse is well tended, that he’s offered a cup of hospitality and that his accommodations are comfortable. Then come back! I shall be wanting you here.”

~ § ~

The next hour passed in a noisy, vivid blur; they all donned their formal robes and Maedhros locked himself up with the High King’s envoy for what seemed like a very long time. Young Antalossë ran off, then came back, then ran off again when the lord’s favourite stallion stormed out of the stables, determined to tamper with a fresh wagon-load of apples; which caused a monstrous calamity in the courtyard. Not entirely ten minutes later, two other scouts arrived in all haste from the west, announcing the arrival of Carnistir Fëanorion, the Lord of Thargelion and “his noble companions” in five days – only to be interrupted by three of their brothers-at-arms coming from the direction of Ossiriand. They brought news of death and havoc, and Orcs lurking in the river-lands.

Tyelcano, who knew a lost cause when he saw one, left the whole matter in Maglor’s hands – trying not to think about how it was justifying his cause –, and started devising the most logical way to house a host of weary soldiers in the Himring (the task seemed almost as daunting as the prospect of returning to his lord’s reports). He was almost done with the count of free rooms and other possible accommodations in the Northern Wing when the door behind him opened, and the royal messenger was sent off to have rest. Maedhros followed almost immediately, an air of strain and great determination about him.

“Come,” he told the Counsellor. “Walk with me.”

Tyelcano was a tall, strong Elf himself, yet even he had to make effort to keep up with Maedhros’s mile-long strides. The lord was too deep in thought to care, and Tyelcano knew better than to speak, or complain, or to give any reminder of his presence; he simply waited, and made speed.

“What am I going to do now, Counsellor?!” Maedhros shook his head, his gaze lost in distances he could not fathom.

“I know not, my lord dearest,” Tyelcano said, “but by the look on your face, I daresay it shall be something loud and impetuous.”

“It shall be more stupid than anything else,” Maedhros admitted. “Yet it must be done. There is no other way.”

They descended the old, rickety stairs that led to the back of the courtyard. On any other occasion, Tyelcano would have found solace in the steady, well-known sound of his strides over aging wood, but now he did not seem to have the ears for it; and neither did his lord, for he suddenly halted, then turned around to face him, a cold gleam in his eyes.

“The dreams, Tyelco,” he said without any introduction or explanation, in the most informal speaking mode of their tongue. “Findekáno is seeing them, too. And they’re making him suffer.”

“The dreams,” echoed the Counsellor, not being able to hide the wariness from his eyes. “So that was the message you received. And now you’re wondering whether you should storm down the stables, haul Silmatal out of his box and ride north to save your cousin. As if that would change anything.”

His words had an edge to them, and he regretted them as soon as they left his mouth; yet all they earned him from his lord was a sad smile, and a complete change of topic.

“Makalaurë must have truly angered you. What did he want?”

“To chase Orc-packs around your lands. I will tell you in detail, if that is your command… but please, lordship, find the time to hear your brother’s own explanations as well. I may have been wrong or biased, or it could be only my caution speaking. You’d better be the judge of that than I, or anyone else.”

“Kano wants his castle back,” Maedhros guessed immediately, with a small noise under his breath; too bitter to be a chuckle, too sharp to be a sob. “Don’t think I keep my eyes closed. It was only a matter of time.”

“I must say I am surprised. I… I have rarely seen him speaking with such vehemence. Perhaps never.”

“Everyone would say I am wrong, but I sometimes think Kano is more like Carnistir than any of us,” Maedhros said, puzzled. “Especially since my rescue. I have always been amazed to see how no one else noticed all the anger and frustration stuffed inside him. He can let some of that out through his songs – ever so sweet, ever so melancholic –, yet the worst of it remains inside, in his heart, and gnaws on him. They’re alike with Carnistir, I say, in everything save the essence. The bile is there: one brother spits, the other swallows.”

“I have never thought about them that way,” Tyelcano admitted, finding his lord’s argument disturbingly well-founded.

Silence stretched between them for a few minutes as they exited the castle and crossed the courtyard. The Counsellor expected his lord to take the right turn towards the stables before he could devise any clever way to hold him back; his chest felt heavy, as if some great, ineluctable doom weighed on it. But Maedhros took the left fork in the road to climb the nearest watchtower and waved the guards off when they greeted them, so they could have their privacy. Finally, they were standing side by side above the lands of Himlad, many-pointed Stars gleaming imperiously below their feet as the wind played with the flags in their holders.

“You were right. I want to haul that horse out of the stables,” said Maedhros. “I want to storm off to Either Sirion, to an extent you cannot imagine. I wish I could do that – but it is hardly possible. I can see that much. My lands are stuffed with Orcs, my scouts are being hunted and we’re beginning to be surrounded. My people need me here.”

Tyelcano let out the air stuck in his lungs with a soft ‘huh’.

“Yet I need to answer Findekáno, too,” Maedhros went on. “And I need to do so in the same way he messaged me – not by written word, because that could be read, because Moringotto’s servants could find a way to break even the cleverest codes one may devise. And yet… and yet I cannot trust any messenger with such information, Counsellor. I cannot! It has to be me who delivers that message, because the safest place it can be kept is here, inside my own heart, unspoken. I shall not trust anyone with it, for the safety of us all. Now, this leads us to a most uncomfortable situation, in which I am needed here and in Eithel Sirion at the same time. However – as we’re both aware –, I cannot split myself in two.”

Tyelcano, for the second time that day, was beginning to hope that the conversation would not take the most likely course of purpose.

And again, it did.

“If I am truly to depart, I shall need a plan of action to be followed while I am away, to cleanse my lands from all enemies,” Maedhros stated calmly, “by a capable person to execute my orders in the exact way I bid them to. I cannot think of anyone who is better suited to such a task than you, Counsellor. You shall need to be me while I am away. You shall need to be Regent Lord of the Himring.”

“Lordship…,” Tyelcano closed his eyes for a moment. He could not let himself loose his patience there and then. It would have meant the end of the world. “Lordship,” he said again. “I am honoured that you would weigh such a responsibility on me… but it would not work. Your brothers would not listen to me the way they do to you. They need you now, to keep them together after everything that happened. And your people as well: they need you to unite them under your flag. If Himlad is to be cleansed, it is you who should lead the hosts and sound the horns, it is you whose name should be praised, not mine!”

Maedhros took a breath to interrupt, but Tyelcano took his hand, and squeezed it.

“Listen to me, my lord, I beg you! If we are to do anything about that stolen Silmaril, you should keep your name impeccable and your title steady. If you rise again as the saviour of the free people and Moringotto’s bitterest enemy, the way you did after the Battle of Flames, what sort of light shall it shed upon King Thingol of Doriath if he retains your rightful heritage…? And if you go… what sort of light shall it shed upon you, the Warden of the East, to hide under your cousin’s cloak while your servant is holding the ranks for you…?”

“That,” said Maedhros coldly, “should very well earn you the same sort of response you’ve received from Makalaurë. I will not have such insolence from you, or anyone else.”

“If that is what it takes to shake you back to your good senses, I am ready to receive any punishment you seem just,” said Tyelcano, gathering the rest of the insolence he could find in himself. “In matters regarding your cousin, my lord, I tend to be more objective than you, and you know that. I understand that you need to answer him, and I understand as well that the prospect of your answer getting known is daunting to you. Yet it would be very unfortunate to risk everything you’ve built here only because pouring your heart out to a messenger is risky and uncomfortable.”

“I care less about comfort than I did about wearing a crown,” Maedhros sighed. “What I care about is…”

His voice trailed off. Following some instinct, Tyelcano looked down, and he saw that the lord’s hand was gripping the parapet so hard he almost expected to see cracks on the moisty stone.

“What I care about,” said Maedhros again in a raw, shrill voice, “is my dignity. No, perhaps not even that. Yet I cannot suffer… there are still a few things left in this world that I cannot suffer, Tyelco, and one of those would be my men starting to whisper things behind my back. You… if you heard my response to Findekáno, you would understand. I am the Warden of the East, the Enemy of the Enemy, and the holder of all those names and titles that hang from me like rotten-ripe apples from a scrogged tree. There are things I cannot permit myself to do – or reveal. Have I been clear?”

Part of Tyelcano’s mind must have been aware that his lord was eyeing him expectantly, yet he said nothing, and did nothing. His hand stopped mid-air, pointing at his chin, and worry lifted from his bows like rainclouds after a spring storm. His path was suddenly clear, laid before his feet; all he needed to do was to step on it, and pray that the Powers would be in his favour.

“Lord Nelyo,” he said slowly, “you said that I needed to be you while you were away, so that your hand and will would reach Barad Eithel as well as Himlad.”

When Maedhros nodded, Tyelcano said, his voice betraying nothing of his inner turmoil and anticipation, “Then, my lord, if you can find it in your heart to trust me with your message, I would happily – and safely – deliver it to the High King, and lead any sort of negotiation you seem fit, so you could stay here and tend to the matters of our homeland. This would be the safest way to execute your plan, and this is what my heart tells me to do.”

Tyelcano knew his suggestion was bold. He suffered through the rapidly changing waves of emotion in his lord’s eyes: elemental surprise, then disbelief, then anger, then suspicion, then excitement, then pain – and then, he felt humbled and bowed his head. When his lord spoke, though, his voice was gentle.

“You hate travelling… with a passion. Do you truly think this would be the wisest way to proceed?”

“There is nothing I hate more than the thought of you – any of you seven, but especially you, lordship – riding around in Beleriand while Moringotto’s henchmen are running free. Against that, what is a bit of rain and a few roots to batter my back while I am asleep?”

Maedhros took a deep breath. “I hear you.”

Wind rose in the west, and the flags were flapping so rapidly and loudly they almost made out the beat of a battle song. Tyelcano closed his fists as a current of fresh air wormed its way under his cloak, and prayed to Manwë and Varda for his warning to be heeded for once.

“All right,” said Maedhros after a long time. “Though my heart is against it, I shall do as you advise, and put wisdom and caution before my pride. You shall depart on the morrow, and you shall hear the message to deliver on your way, out in the wastelands, where there are no walls and no ears. I shall ride with you for a while, then, to clean my thoughts; for there are other matters we should speak about. Go now, and rest. You will need your strength.

Morning Mist

Tyelcano receives a curious gift, hears his lord's secret message, and departs from the Himring.

Read Morning Mist

XVIII. Morning Mist

“You closed it! Closed – like one would close a hole on a pair of underpants!”

Curufinwë’s voice was nothing short of hostile as he trailed along the workshop, chisel in hand; back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. There was an unsteady rhythm to his strides, but a rhythm nevertheless; and Tyelcano anchored his mind to the soft sound of his steps that kept the world together.

“You closed it!” Came the accusation for the third time, as true as it had ever been.

“This is my best hauberk,” he pleaded, “the one that survived the Flames with me. I did not think that I’d have to use it again this soon. I did not wish want to part from it, so I took a few precautions…”

“You ruined it! You stole into my workshop by night and r-u-i-n-e-d it!” Curufinwë sang. “Look at this, look at the way you’ve tackled these poor strings of metal…” He shook the hauberk slowly, theatrically, listening to the eerie jingle of its rings. “Hear them scream in pain!”

Tyelcano couldn’t hide his smile. Listening to such a tirade over rough-and-ready work felt reassuring in an odd way: he remembered suffering through such growleries from Tirion and Formenos, both by Atar and Atarinke.

“…why didn’t you tell me, anyway?!” Curufinwë sighed. “Though no longer your lord, I am at least a craftsman in this castle. I could have ended the suffering of your wounded chainmail instead of tormenting it any further!”

“It would have been audacious to wake you in the middle of the night with such a request,” Tyelcano insisted. “I did not have much time to reflect on the details of my journey; I must leave in all haste, and my plans of action were consequently reduced.”

“What I find audacious is the botching-up of this poor piece of metalwork,” Curufinwë crossed his arms. “Your only chance is that you’re leaving so I shan’t have to look at it every day. Now hurry, take it off!”

“Lordship, there’s no time…”

“Tsk-tsk,” Curufinwë raised his finger, a bit imperiously, a bit mockingly, a bit playfully. “No more lordships if you please. Find something dark and destructive, and call me that.”

 “A sledgehammer?” Tyelcano offered. Instead of the snort of laughter he’d been hoping for, the comment earned him no more than a disgruntled noise under the smith’s breath. In a better place and a better time, it could have been a chuckle; but this was Beleriand, and the fourth hour of the day, and the Counsellor was soon to leave.

“Take that outrageous thing off, I said,” Curufinwë commanded. “You shall have a new one by the time you come back, but I must have your size.”

“Don’t waste any expensive material on me,” Tyelcano insisted, but he began undoing the clasps all the same. “We are becoming short on metal.”

“Say no more! You, my friend, are like Nelyo: if you get a hole in your chest, this whole country will burn down to ashes within a few weeks,” Curufinwë stated matter-of-factly. “Get your hands out of my way,” he added, and tossed the Counsellor’s arms up into the dusty, coal-smelling air. Tyelcano felt a measuring-tape grazing his back like a strayed band of lash. “I won’t let you die, Counsellor. You will have a decent armour, and you will use it.” Another caress of the measuring-lash. “Left arm up, right arm down ‘til midway!” Another. “Good, now switch them!” Curufinwë muttered under his breath, “…to ruin a perfectly fine hauberk like that… what would Father say?!” The measuring-tape crept all the way up Tyelcano’s shoulders. “Flex your muscles and raise your arms again!” A touch of leather upon his neck, an uncomfortable shiver running down his spine. “Don’t move and keep your chin up! Thank Manwë you don’t have Nelyo’s size, how can someone be so terribly tall and have such a thin waist… arms down, Counsellor, we’re almost done. Unflex your flexing bits. I’ll cover you in metal from head to toes if I have to, but you won’t die.”

“Yours has always been a practical mind,” Tyelcano smiled.

“If you want me to declare how profoundly grateful I am for everything you have done to me the past few weeks, then so be it,” said Curufinwë. “I truly am. You gave me work and a purpose, and the latter… that’s something I’ve been lacking for a long time. A nice change. Now raise your chin once again, if you don’t want your armour to throttle you!”

“You need not be grateful, filthy sledgehammer of Moringotto,” said Tyelcano (and this time, Curufinwë did smile), “just get better, and remain sane and useful to Lord Nelyo… and above all, be happier, if you can. That is all I ask from you.”

“I will try,” said Curufinwë, and his voice was so calm and indifferent that for a second, the Counsellor almost believed that happiness could truly be acquired through simple effort.

The smith then grabbed a piece of parchment and scribbled a few inconsistent-looking numbers upon it. Tyelcano could not help but watch the process, for he used the same size-listing as his father would use, and under his breath, he also resumed his previous litany about the hauberk, just as Fëanáro would if he were there. If Tyelcano did not know Curufinwë since he’d been a promise in his father’s magniloquences, he would have probably taken offense; but he was Tyelcano of Formenos, who knew good smith-work from bad just as well as acceptable from good.

He also knew that the corrections he’d made on his hauberk, despite not reaching feanorean standards, were above acceptable; and most importantly, they would serve him well on the road.

Since Curufinwë grudgingly chose his family over his pride and remained in the Himring under Maedhros’s protection, he seemed to grow healthier and livelier with every passing day. Housed and well-fed for several weeks now, his face and hands did not look sickly and skeletal anymore; the fiery heat of the smithy coloured his arms and cheeks, and instead of blood, sweat and sour earth, he smelled of oil and coal once again: a familiar scent. His hair was shoulder-length now, its matted ends having been cut and thrown away, and the clothes he wore were clean and soft against his ivory skin. The title of lord he wore no more, but that did not seem to have any effect upon his mood, or upon the imperious, kingly way he moved around the castle; and to Tyelcano, it seemed as though some heavy shadow had lifted from him, and he could once again laugh and play his scoffing japes.

The only noticeable change in his behaviour was his absence from council meetings, dinners, routine scoutings and other public events. He spent all his time in the smithy with his new assistants and apprentices, and for the better part of the day, the only remainder of his presence was the thick band of smoke exiting the chimneys. He spoke to no one about his plans and their results, but he seemed to be in great labour, driven by his own insatiable spirit.

“You have to go, Counsellor,” said Curufinwë, with unexpected gentleness in his voice. “Dawn is coming, and Nelyo awaits. Be sure to taste wine in Eithel Sirion – our cousin has a remarkable collection, as I recall. Provided that it hasn’t been eaten by the Flames.”

“Let us hope I’ll get there in time to taste that wine at the summer celebrations,” said Tyelcano smoothly.

“Well, I have made something for you that may help you get there,” said the smith. “Here, have it! Not a remarkable thing, but useful: that much I can promise. It is the sort of weapon I’ve been dreaming about through all my clueless wanderings in the wilderness. More than a knife but less than a sword, sharp and rough, thin but widening near the hilt, slender but deadly. And it’s well-made, within the circumstances. It cuts wood and flesh and bone and Orc-necks, and even the lesser kinds of iron… but I shall be very cross with you if you break it to splinters upon some Dwarwish helm.”

“Warning heeded,” Tyelcano smiled and reached out to examine the dagger. “This is a truly generous gift, Curufinwë; one I do not remember having earned. But I thank you for it.”

“Once again, you thick-headed Moriquend,” the fifth son of Fëanáro said, “I will not let you die. Now, shall you try it or not?”

Tyelcano grabbed the hilt without a second thought, and pulled the blade out of its smooth scabbard. The new dagger had a cold gleam to it; its weight and length was unfamiliar in the Counsellor’s hands, and the soft engravings at its sides glimmered like tiny stars in the trembling light of candles.

Tyelcano stared at the weapon for several seconds, his hands numb, his head empty.

“Is it not to your liking…?” Curufinwë raised his brows lazily, disgruntledly, as if he himself could hardly believe the truth of that assumption.

“I – I have dreamed of this dagger, cundunya,” said Tyelcano. “Several times.”

Ten seconds passed in utter silence and stillness; then the Counsellor gave a short, unconvincingly bright smile.

“In those dreams,” he lied, “it saved my life.”

“Well - sometimes,” said Curufinwë, and he clasped Tyelcano’s arm in a warrior’s farewell, “dreams come true.”

~ § ~

An explanation. There must be some sort of explanation, which I will probably find out later; but there is no time for that now. Lord Nelyo awaits, and patience is not one of his many virtues.

Tyelcano forced the roughly repaired hauberk back upon his shirt, then locked himself up in the dark cell of his formal robe once again; the one with the Star shining golden across his chest upon a deep blue field: so blue that it was almost black. He had worn the same colours as Herald of Finwë, as Principal Advisor of the High King, as Head of the Great Council in Tirion, as Regent Lord of Formenos and as Chief Captain of the High King just as well as First Counsellor of the Warden in the East. That robe of blue velvet was thick with duties and heavy with responsibilities; it smelled of blood and futile efforts, and reeked of mistakes and inconsistencies; yet there was also a lightness to it, a gush of wind and the strain of power. Still… now, as the Counsellor locked the last of its clasps upon the collar, he suddenly felt like his robe carried the Doom of the Valar itself, and their scythe had just bit his neck through the chainmail.

I’m being highly illogical, Tyelcano thought. My dreams are a foggy mess of recurring symbols and threats. There is no way I could be sure of having seen this very weapon in my visions; from this moment on, however, my mind shall inevitably link this new dagger to the one from my dreams. How can I be so ridiculous…? Perhaps I have even offended Curufinwë, who handed me a gift of his own making, while measuring me from head to toes to prepare another.

It was nothing if not interesting, though, he admitted silently as his horse was led out of the stables. A guard informed him that his escort had rode far out to the open lands, while the Lord Warden was waiting for him at the gates; the two parties were supposed to meet at the Pass of Aglon.

There must be something, some small detail that linked the two images in my mind. Perhaps the length of the weapon – I have never owned a dagger quite like this, so it was foreign to my hands. Or it might have been the form of the hilt… and it would be unwise to forget as well that I received it barely an hour before setting out on a dangerous journey. It is very easy to feel such foreboding when one’s mind is weary, and sharpened to see ill omens everywhere.

Tyelcano sighed. Here was a stern reminder that even he could be driven too far by his emotions.

This dagger is a fine gift and nothing more. What I said to Curufinwë may as well prove true – it shall probably save my life upon the road.

The Counsellor took a deep breath, straightened his back, and rallied his horse out of the courtyard, towards the gates.

§ ~ § ~ §

The clatter of hooves of the two horses seemed to have been swallowed up by the dim, heavy layer of fog sprawling above the wastelands. The riders sat stiff, motionless, every muscle tense as if searching for enemies in the colourless landscape; but there was not much to be seen. The fog hid them just as much as it veiled any approaching foes – not that such presence was much likely in the heart of the Marches.

Tyelcano was surprised to see Tulcestelmo at the gates. The Captain of Guards stood on top of the wall, cold and stern like a sculpture; he nodded in recognition when the Counsellor led his horse through the cramped rear gate of the fortress. The Captain offered him his arm in a warrior’s farewell, just like Curufinwë had, and wished him a good journey, voicing his hope that the he would return soon.

And then suddenly there he was, out in the wide wastelands with no more than his lord's great white destrier in his heels; for they had promised to join their escort only at the Pass, under the grim, dark walls of the last watchtower. The Sun was probably rising, but nothing could be seen of it through the fog – they were well inside the month of Lótessë, yet the last chilly breath of winter still lingered in Himlad’s lands.

Tyelcano let out a soft sigh to see if his breath was visible – it was. He shifted a little in the saddle, ignoring the sudden longing he felt for his comfortable suite. The Himring may have looked grim and fearsome to the eyes of an outsider, but hot fires burned night and day behind the thick walls, soft, heavy curtains shut out the creeping fingers of the north wind, and all who lived there were well fed and garmented.

When Maedhros first spoke, they were galloping through a wide meadow, encircled by the stooping hills of Aglon; they could not see them, but as they knew every rock and every hog's back in the wastelands, they sensed their closeness.

“You are wordless,” said Maedhros, and Tyelcano had to smile.

“I am your messenger, lordship; I speak only if asked. You are wordless, though.”

Silence stretched between them for a while and Tyelcano glanced carefully at the lord. Maedhros’s features would have been unreadable for the eyes of a stranger, but not for his Counsellor who had led him by the hand when he was still an elfling.

“You do not know if you’ve made the right choice,” Tyelcano assumed. There, he risked being angrily reminded of his role as a messenger, but Maedhros only let out a soft sigh, returning his stare.

“Indeed not.”

“And why is that?”

“I still profoundly dislike the idea of sending my most trusted advisor to such a sinister journey… And then I need to remind myself that said sinister journey consists of nothing more than crossing Beleriand to deliver a message to the High King. One message! When did we allow our enemies to bar us out of our own lands? This is outrageous, and an insult to our noble people!” Maedhros closed his eyes for a moment, then he said, without his previous fervour, “I am beginning to agree with Kano when it comes to the retaking of the Gap. I shall see how many swords can Carnistir assemble… it might as well be enough.”

“You have plans,” said Tyelcano.

“I do.”

“Since when?”

“Since I spoke to my brother,” said Maedhros measuredly. “No, that is not entirely true: I’ve been having them for a long time, perhaps ever since the Flames; but I put them to conscious thought only yestereve. And I daresay that they’re well-founded plans, save for the part where I send you off to the wilderness to meet your fate. I wish I could do that in your place.” A small crease appeared upon the lord’s forehead. “Even so,” he murmured, his eyes bright in the morning light, “considering everything...”

His voice trailed off and he sank back to his gloomy mood as if his thoughts were too dark to put to words. The sky began to lighten in the East, and Tyelcano knew they had to make speed.

“You cannot consider everything, my lord,” he said lightly. “That would take all the years and Ages of Arda that are still to come. Someone must deliver your message to the High King, and not by written word. You cannot take this mission upon your shoulders; we both know that.”

 “That is not the questionable part,” said Maedhros. “The questionable part is what will happen if the quest fails and I send you to your death.”

“In that case, such is my fate; but I strongly believe that the Valar are guarding and guiding us. Yes, lord, even us,” Tyelcano emphasized as he saw Maedhros rolling his eyes. “Leave haste to me, lordship, I beg you! You don't like to wait, you never did and never would; though you have already learned to be patient through the years, even if it makes you itch. This is the path I advise you to take once more: the path of forbearance.”

“Patience will not help me now,” Maedhros’s voice was rough.

“Patience always helps, my lord.”

The only answer the statement earned him was a swift pull that resonated through his whole body, as his horse turned to follow the lord’s proud stallion, uphill at last. They were coming close to the Pass; the last watchtower emerged from the pale green verdure like a black lance, fires burning below its narrow windows. Their orange glow pierced through the fog and made Tyelcano’s eyes water.

“Let us linger here for a while,” said Maedhros when they reached the hilltop. “We have one gruesome business left with each other.”

They jumped off their horses, letting them taste what remained of the dead-grey mountain grass. Despite the rains, the hill was becoming bald.

“As you say, Lord Warden,” said Tyelcano, recognizing the lord’s foul mood.

“You must forgive me for retaining my message this long,” Maedhros continued, his voice softer now. “I had hoped in vain that speaking would be easier if I tired myself with a long ride out.”

“And shan’t it be, my lord?”

Maedhros laughed humourlessly. “I did not tire myself.”

The idea was as insolent as any idea could get; and neither should it have been acted out with his best robes on, this far out in the wilderness on such a cold, foggy morning; yet Tyelcano’s hand and mouth moved on their own accord.

“Then let me tire you, lordship!”

And Curufinwë’s dagger flew out from its scabbard.

If Tyelcano sparred with someone he knew, the only thing he watched were the eyes: two shiny windows inside the soul of the other, warning him, guiding him, betraying their owner. Most of the time, Maedhros’s eyes were empty or shut like barred gates; yet some other times, the pride and fury of singing steel made his gaze flicker with harmless scorn and amusement; though never joy.

This time, Tyelcano cought the flicker of surprise in his gaze before the veil of impassivity descended upon his face.

Fighting Tyelcano with a longsword against that dagger was a tiring business indeed, and it required a lot of jumping, rolling, swearing and running around from both of them; yet for once in a lifetime, it was the lord who sweated first, and had they fought to blood, Tyelcano would have slit his left thigh open once. That would have made the Counsellor worry if he had time to consider anything else than the steady rhythm of his own strikes and slashes, and his constant awareness of the deadly longsword dancing around him.

Then suddenly came a moment when he leapt forward, his entire body alert and tense with the energy of fighting. The dagger jerked forward, and the whole length of the blade touched the lord’s right shoulder. Had they fought to blood…

The next thing Tyelcano knew, he was lying face-up in what felt like a whole lake of dew, thin strands of grass slashing his calves like blades of steel. A knee was pressing most uncomfortably into his stomach, and the lord’s longsword, with its entire width, rested across his throat.

“That was a good fight,” said Maedhros. His eyes were dark and furious, and his face was close, very close. “I admire your self-control. If I ever get you like that with a sharpened sword, I’ll probably slash you open like a sack of corns. For a moment, I wondered if I should.”

“Not the throat, m’lord,” Tyelcano mumbled against his tears of pain. The touch of Maedhros’s knee was getting sharp and heavy in his stomach. “That would considerably diminish my charms as your honey-tongued envoy.”

“As would your robes getting dirty. What will the High King say? You look like some errant knight from a realm of Men.”

“Everything and anything for m’lord’s contentment,” said Tyelcano, not without scorn. “And now would you be so kind and gracious and remove your entire weight off my guts?”

“If you ask so politely,” said Maedhros, and he did so. The longsword disappeared as well; and the lord settled beside his counsellor in the dead grass and sighed.

“If you have recovered, I shall tell you my message.”

“I’m listening,” said Tyelcano.

“Whatever you will hear now,” the lord said slowly, “you shall receive it as if you were a blank paper, spotted with ink. As much as I value your opinion and insight in general, in this case, I don’t want to hear it, or to see it expressed in any way. Have I been clear?”

“Entirely, lordship.”

Maedhros nodded gravely. “Also – as I have already told you, this is a secret message. However, there is one rule I would like to overwrite. If, for any reason, you find yourself unable to continue your journey, you must not pass on the message. No one else can know. You shall keep it to yourself, and the High King shall receive it another time, however urgent it is. Understood?”

Tyelcano took a deep breath, then nodded his accord.

“Good,” said Maedhros, and pulled his cloak tighter around his shoulders. Wind was rising in the north, and a relentless army of clouds was gathering over the Hills of Aglon. The air was cold for the fifth month, even in the Himring; yet despite the promise of rain in the air, the Sun was rising well above the horizon, and both lord and counsellor knew that they did not have much time left.

And with a sigh, Maedhros began his message.

“Findekáno,” he said, his voice faint as a prayer. The litany of courtesies that was supposed to precede any manner of communication with the High King were promptly forgotten. “I received your word on the ides of Lótessë, from your messenger, Nirwion; and I received it with a heavy heart, since similar visions have been plaguing both me and my Counsellor for months now. Withering flowers, banners flopping in the wind, darkness, icy peaks, a white city draped in moonlight, the scream of crows, forebodings of death and havoc… we’ve all seen the same things. My own dreams are hazy and indistinct, often delirious and filled with terror; yet their regularity and similarity have long convinced me that they did not take part of my usual nightmares, no matter how reluctant I first was to consider that possibility. These visions, cousin, are trying to warn us. My heart tells me that Moringotto is not satisfied by his swift and complete victory in the Battle of Flames; that he’s plotting against us at this very minute, seeking our death and ruin. Orcs linger in my lands, and bother my people. The roads across Beleriand are dangerous, and one cannot walk them without escort. Strange tales have reached my ears about the errands of Lúthien, the daughter of the Moriquend-king, and her lover, a mortal Man… and since then, my vision has cleared. I can see the damage the Oath has caused to my family… And my heart trembles when I think of what the future may bring if we have the misfortune to forget who the real enemy is – that it is and it will be, always and forever, Moringotto the Accursed. We need to counter his schemes with such power and endurance we have; and for that reason, I shall seek counsel and gather allies. For too long we have wobbled around, crushed by the Enemy’s last blow! We need to steady our feet again, and chase His servants from the lands that have been ours for centuries. My will and my first intention, Findekáno, is to put an end to all bitter grievances and strife between the Quendi, and bring peace to our dominions; and these I shall do, with your help if you grant it, and with the support of any free folk who might offer it. This is the decision I have made, and this is the path I shall take; and no living thing can stand in my way!”

Here, Maedhros fell silent for a while, and when he spoke again, his voice was much softer.

“Then again, of course, you are no fool. You know just as well as I that Thingol has a Silmaril; and you know as well that sooner or later, I shall be forced to do something about it, lest my Oath torment me to insanity. Yet you need not to fear; I shall do Doriath no harm, and no Oath can crack my mind… not after what I have been through. It shan’t come to war, or even the slightest bloodshed; I will not let the old wounds fester any further. We have a common Enemy, at least; woe to the times when that Enemy shall be defeated, so nothing shall stand between me and the Moriquendi!”

Here, Maedhros laughed softly, then his face suddenly darkened; and Tyelcano knew that he spoke as if it was truly his cousin who listened.

“…Yet cruel doubt pervades my thoughts; for along with the strange dreams, my illness has also returned,” said the lord, and his hand tightened into a fist. “And it is bad, Findekáno, it hasn’t been this bad for a very long time. It is all back… I am happy if I fall healthily asleep once a week, only to be dragged awake by the sensation of being suffocated – sometimes screaming, completely out of my mind, the way I used to be when… it doesn’t matter. I cannot stomach this. I can barely eat. I am feverish. At times, I need to draw blood – do you know how hard it is to draw blood with one hand?! – then the smell gives me nausea and the fit worsens, instead of tiring me out. I almost dread the moment when night falls and I must find rest – there is no rest to find in my chambers, only dust and ghosts. And darkness makes them grow. What sort of warlord am I if I’m afraid in the dark?! How am I supposed to protect my people if I can’t even sleep?” Maedhros’s voice had a furious edge to it. “I feel like I am going to tire, and to be blown out like a candle in the wind. Yet who could I speak to…? No one can know of my weaknesses, not even my brothers, least of all my brothers – they shall be the downfalls of each other, and of us all if things continue the way they are now. If one day, the mask I wear as Lord of the Himring falls down, we’re all doomed… and that mask is full of cracks. Someone must keep my men together, to bond them together, and I know it has to be me, because who else would do it…? Everything around me is so fragile, so ephemeral; it feels as though the slightest breeze of wind could ruin everything I have built. And they call me the Warden of the East! And they praise me as the Enemy of the Enemy! Can you see now how cruel you were under that cliff…? I told you to shoot that arrow, Findekáno. I told you to shoot it…”

Maedhros’s voice trailed off for several seconds; and when he spoke again, his voice was calm.

“Sometimes, I feel miles away from everyone. I cannot even hear them speak. I am alone those times, Findekáno – there is only me around, and that is when I truly see myself, and what I have become. I am not who you think I am. I am only some wretch who is afraid of that thrice-damned dark! Or maybe not of the dark itself, but of the forms it takes. I am afraid of re-living things again and again; dreams are only dreams, you may say… but I feel the lash, the shackles, the thirst and hunger, and the numbing persuasion of being utterly, entirely doomed, helpless against Moringotto’s appetite for cruelty and abuse…the images my mind creates are sharp and believable; so believable that you would believe them if you saw them… that any sane person would believe them… for they are so wonderfully detailed! Afterwards, I oft wonder about them, in complete awe. How could I, crippled of body and mind, be capable of creating such perfect illusions? Is this a sign of madness? My train of thoughts always stops at the concept of madness, though. I cannot be mad, Findekáno, can I? I cannot allow myself such luxuries. I have a castle to rule, a household to look after to, six brothers to keep at bay… I cannot go mad, not right now, I don’t have the time. Forgive me, I’ve rambled.” Maedhros held up his chin with two fingers, his eyes suddenly livelier. “Yet these dreams, Findekáno… I cannot help but think that the dreams worsen my condition, or that they are somehow related to it. In my delirious dreams, I understand connections and coherencies I have never before perceived, then I forget them as soon as the Sun is up and I open my eyes. ‘Tis maddening. I see the same dreams you’ve described almost every night now: I see the banners, the crows and the withering flowers before they turn into vivid set-scenes of Angamando. And He is always there, Findekáno, laughing at me… It makes me anxious to know that these visions have reached you, too; that you could be suffering from them as well. I pray that you’d heed my warning and keep them secret. Do not speak about them – it could be dangerous. People talk… and stories grow by the telling. I hope that you, unlike my brothers, will listen to me and remember that.” Maedhros sighed.

“Elsewise, there is nothing to say. I am exhausted, and that makes me restless. There are so many other events I’d love to tell you about, but my time is growing short. But don’t worry about me, Findekáno; worry about yourself, and most of all, worry about these visions. They are not likely to go away. As soon as Himlad is cleansed of the Orc-filth, I shall find a way to visit you so we could talk. You must as well have many things to say. Fare well! Take care of yourself… and whatever happens, whatever you might hear, please don’t do anything rash.” Maedhros made a noise under his breath that could have been a chuckle if there was any joy in it. “Fare well, Aranya.”

With that, it was over.

As soon as he finished his speech, Maedhros stood, and went for a walk around the bald hill-top; and Tyelcano took advantage of the gesture to arrange his thoughts. If he’d previously disliked the idea of leaving his lord alone, by now he outright loathed it. Every fibre of his being trembled at the thought of Maedhros facing his fits of panic alone; yet he knew that his only other choice would be to see the lord himself leave.

The only thing I can do, Tyelcano concluded, is make speed. Come back to him, and swiftly.

It happened thus that when Maedhros came back to him, Tyelcano’s face was solemn and collected; and he patted the ground beside him, as calmly and naturally as if they have only been chatting about the weather.

“Come, Lord Nelyo,” he said, “sit with me for a moment.”

Maedhros sat, and he looked at him with a stern, rigorous expression that made Tyelcano remember his last promise.

No comments.

“Please, lordship,” he sighed, “just accept four words of counsel from me. Will you?”

Maedhros’s countenance somewhat softened. “Go ahead.”

“Candles,” said Tyelcano vigorously, “music, books – and a valar-damned healer!”

Maedhros, who had intended to count all those words out upon his fingers, stared at him disparagingly.

“Are you familiar with the concept of number four, Tyelco?”

“…and sleep at least thrice a week, I beg you!” Tyelcano sighed, ignoring him. “And please, lordship, don’t draw your own blood. Your condition could worsen or you could fall insensible and if you don’t stop the flow…”

“You promised me something, Counsellor!” Maedhros reminded him in a ringing voice.

“My promise be damned,” Tyelcano leaned forward, and took the lord’s face between his palms, in a way he rarely dared to. “Listen to me, my lord beloved – those visions shall not break you. They did not break you before, and they are not about to break you now. You are stronger than them, and you shall lead us all to victory against that Orc-filth. If you say that you can, I believe it. I believe in you. You are the Warden of the East, you are the Enemy of the Enemy. You are our beacon of hope, and you shall open those gates from the dreams, whatever their significance might be – you shall not let this world wither! I know that much. Be strong, lordship, and wait for me; I will be back by your side as soon as I am able.”

Maedhros said nothing, his eyes narrow and distant; and Tyelcano sighed.

“I know what you’re thinking at this moment,” he said. “You’re disappointed, because you have let your mask slip, you showed me your insecurities, something you’ve been forced to do; and I’m still capable of speaking of hope and victory…! Yet I have known for a long time that you doubted yourself. I know you well, lordship, and I have at least a notion about what plagues your heart… and still, I have just as much of a notion about who you truly are and what you’re capable of. We will speak of this another time, a time when we shall be allowed to; but please keep in mind that I trust you with my life, and with the lives of all our people. Fare well, Warden of the East! May the Valar help you in your endeavours!”

“And may my blessings guard you upon the road,” said Maedhros; and to Tyelcano’s astonishment, the lord leaned forward to kiss his forehead. “You’re a treasure I cannot afford losing, Counsellor,” he said with a wry smile, then extended his hand. “Here, take my ring! It may serve you well; give it to my cousin when you see him.”

“This is your father’s seal-ring, lordship,” said Tyelcano uneasily. “Are you certain you want me to…?”

“Don’t make me ask again. Take it!”

Tyelcano obeyed; but when he wanted to sink the ring into his saddlebag, Maedhros’s quick fingers thwarted his movement, and the ring slid safely upon the middle finger of his right hand. It did not cling to his skin nearly as perfectly as it would fit its original owner.

“I will not fail you,” Tyelcano promised.

“That I dearly hope,” said his lord. “Fare well!”

Tyelcano spurred his stallion to meet his escort of nine Elves, who were waiting for him near the Tower of Aglon, as promised. Five of the party were the High King’s soldiers, clad in the rich blue-and-silver of Ñolofinwë’s household. Maedhros’s own four scouts were bright patches of red-and-golden against them; and as he came closer, Tyelcano was surprised to see young Antalossë among them. He turned his head to ask his lord about the choice, but Maedhros had stayed upon the bald hilltop, and raised his hand in a soundless farewell. Tyelcano returned the courtesy, then turned his horse’s head towards his companions, and burst into gallop.

When he looked back for the last time, the Tower of Aglon was nowhere, nor could the lowering hills be seen. He saw the Himring in the distance, tall and proud atop the flat cleeve upon which it had been built; and as he eyed Maedhros’s flags fluttering proudly in the wind, a dark, daunting sense of certainty pierced through his heart.

He knew he would not see that castle in its glory, nor those gleaming red-and-golden banners flapping above its gates ever again; and the truth of that realization was so cruel, so overwhelming that he almost reeled out of his saddle.

Yet he barred that foresight out of his head and rode on; for he knew that duty would never fail to call, again and again, no matter how much he might wish it to.

Steel To Temper

Curufin is determined to stay silent, and Celegorm is determined to make him talk.

Read Steel To Temper

XIX. Steel to Temper

The Fortress of Himring, FA 467, the twenty-first day of Lótessë

Someone knocked sharply on the smithy’s door; and Curufinwë refused to acknowledge it.

“Look at this, Maril,” he said instead. The vapours of sweating steel made his eyes water and wetted his hair, but it mattered little: the course of his purpose was straight and clear, and it lay right under his gloved hands. “Look at it! Take the hammer, it shan’t bite you… Good. Now tell me what you see.”

“The steel was not clean, Master Curufinwë,” said the apprentice keenly. “The visor did not have the right amount of silver in it.”

“Which would be?”

“Eight ounces out of ten, Master.”

Another knock was left ignored.

“…good. Can you tell me what kind of alloy do we have here?”

“Silver with copper, Master.”

“What else?”

At the next furious knock, the apprentice’s eyes wandered to the door, but when Curufinwë paid no heed to the noise, he forced his attention back to the smelter.

“Lead, maybe…?”

“You could use a bit more confidence, child,” said Curufinwë; and he leaned closer. There was another element in the slowly decomposing steel; slightly similar with clean silver, yet dark and dull where it was shiny, sleazy and bitty where it was smooth and melted…

Curufinwë swore under his breath as the upcoming knock-knocks evolved into blatant bang-bangs. He had no choice but to open the door; and he performed the deed so abruptly that Tyelkormo almost fell across the smithy’s doorstep.

“Finally!” he sighed. “I was beginning to doubt you were in there at all.”

“So if I pretend that I am beyond the Circles of the World, will you let me work in peace?”

“Ha!” Said Tyelkormo, and for the fraction of a second, Curufinwë could see open mirth in his eyes; then it vanished, and only wariness remained. “Not today. We need to talk.”

“Come in, then. You have ten minutes until I reheat the smelters.”

“I can reheat them for you, Master,” Maril’s voice was thick with plea. “I know how. That way, you shall not be disturbed!”

Curufinwë shot a sharp glance at his apprentice, then looked back at his brother, who stood in the doorway like a rock, reluctant to give space. Annoying as the timing might have been, Tyelkormo looked like he had something to say indeed.

“All right then, young one,” he said, “you may reheat the small smelter and finish our work for this morn. But heed my warning: if so much as a chisel shall be jagged by the time I come back, you shan’t touch anything in my workshop ever again. Is that clear?”

“Clear as crystal, Master Curufinwë,” said Maril.

“I have seen clearer things,” he quipped; yet it was not so much for chiding as for the sake of comedy; and the boy seemed to understand.

~ § ~

The citadel’s four great bastions loomed behind the brothers like greedy fangs as they exited the smithy and walked through the backyard among empty spotting posts and ruinous store-cells, overgrown by amber and ivy. It seemed that Nelyafinwë’s household did not have the means to men all the peeking watchtowers around the lesser regions of the Himring.

Tyelkormo offered his arm and Curufinwë took it, suddenly grateful for the spring wind’s caress on his face. His newly regained – pretended – devotion for work had deprived him of such sensations for what seemed like a very long time.

It was a fair day, and what clouds stormed through the clear skies were frail and almost transparent, lighter than the finest white silk: the sort that brought no rain. They flew high, very high, Curufinwë knew; unfathomably far above the lands and hills, where not even Moringotto’s black hands could touch them.

Tyelkormo did not speak until they were far out in the training fields; and Curufinwë knew better than to rush him. He tried to enjoy the weather instead, and when his brother finally halted, he picked a nice, untamed spot among daisies and dandelions, and settled down to stretch his legs. He had been working all night, and suddenly found that he could easily fall asleep, if not for the sharp nervousness radiating from his brother.

Curufinwë crossed his legs in a pretence of comfort, and folded his hands in his lap.

“Well?”

Tyelkormo settled down beside him, removed his cloak and folded it: lightly yet with respect, the way Mother would. One time, he got a folding line wrong, so he shook out the whole cloak and restarted the process. Once he succeeded, though, he suddenly decided he would much rather undo the foldings, and spread the stained fabric around his shoulders again.

“Quit your fidgeting,” Curufinwë snapped.

“Tricky weather,” said Tyelkormo. “Care for breakfast?”

“You wanted to talk to me, I trust?”

“That, too. But I just came home from patrol, and I would not mind spending some time merely… sitting with you. At peace.”

Peace.

Curufinwë suppressed a sardonic laugh.

“Well,” he said, “if that breakfast you mentioned means dried meat and other horrid things they fed you on the road, then you’re very welcome to share it with someone else,” He threw a lazy glance on his brother’s storm-beaten bundle. “What have you in there?”

“Honey to sweeten your tongue, for one.”

When Curufinwë did not even smile, Tyelkormo added, with a puzzled expression on his face, “It’s not so difficult to switch back to normal, I reckon. To the life of a decent person, who has something to eat every day and a home to return to…”

“You feel humbled, huh?” Curufinwë snorted. “Is that what ails you?”

“I may have felt that way,” said Tyelkormo cautiously. “But I no longer do. I… I have been thinking about things – everything – a lot, Curvo, and I wanted to know… I want to know how you feel.”

Curufinwë slowly, methodically opened the honey jar, dipped his brother’s spoon in it, and licked it off.

His tongue did not feel sweetened.

“How I feel… about what? My feelings, as you call them, are rather reserved these days.”

“So have I noticed,” Tyelkormo sighed. “Three times I departed with the scouts, and three times I came back without seeing you outside your workshop. Do you even eat, brother? Do you even sleep?”

“Sometimes,” Curufinwë tilted his head. “And, occasionally.”

He stuffed another spoonful of honey in his mouth, so that the rest of the sentence would echo only in his head,

…you’re the first one to ask.

Tyelkormo threw a long, clever glance at him above his bread-and-butter, and for less than a heartbeat, Curufinwë feared he’d spoken aloud.

“It is not what I have been expecting, to be sure,” his brother finally said, and his lips curved slightly; so slightly that Curufinwë could not call it a smile. “When Nelyo spoke his judgement, I… I was convinced you would choose exile, you know.”

“Well, so was I.”

“I’m glad that you changed your mind, Curvo.”

Curufinwë smiled innocently. “I did not.”

The bread yanked to a stop in Tyelkormo’s hand, and a bit of butter landed upon his nose. Curufinwë felt a sudden, ferocious need to rub it off, but his brother’s eyes went wide, and – somehow – fearsome and fearful at the same time.

“What do you mean you did not?!”

Curufinwë gave a resigned sigh, and pulled another, not-so-convincing layer upon his mask of careless pretence.

“You cannot be stupid enough to drag me out of my workshop, only to repeat a conversation we’ve already had! You know my opinion, Tyelko: I have already told you that what was best for you may not prove best for me. My interest would have been to hit the road and try my luck once again, one last time… yet sometimes, we’re bound to put others’ well-being before our own. Thus have I stayed, and thus am I newly invested in my work.”

His voice sounded like it was about to betray him again.

Tyelkormo raised his brows. “I thought you enjoyed it…?”

“Oh?” Curufinwë laughed, his voice full of mirth, his eyes two bottomless dark wells. “But I do! I do! I have never been happier in my life!”

He choked on that last sentence; and his voice trailed off, suddenly croaky and utterly, completely – powerless.

“Forget it, Tyelko,” he said wretchedly. “I cannot do this. Not to you. Forget it.”

“Well you would do well to stop indeed,” his brother said coolly. “I shall not be fooled by the magic in your voice.”

Curufinwë forced down another spoonful of honey, but somehow that, too, felt bitter.

“If you must know,” he said, “I spoke with the Counsellor before he left. Or I should rather say that he spoke with me; and as a result, I was forced to choose between two evils. I chose the one that seemed a little less vicious for our family and more mortifying for me.” Curufinwë shrugged. “Thankfully, my self-control did not betray me then, and Tyelcano departed with the assumption that I was feeling better, useful, alive, that sort of thing. I think he desperately wanted to believe all that, so it worked… that was my chance, for otherwise, he would not have been so easy to fool.”

Tyelkormo was watching him with a very strange expression.

“And are you not alive, at least?”

“Alive, yes, in the sense of breathing and spitting on things,” Curufinwë shrugged. “But I… how could I even hope to explain it? This, all of this is terrible for me, Tyelko. I feel unwanted: no one would even invite me to the dinner-table if not for the sake of blood-forged bonds!” Curufinwë fell silent for a few seconds, amazed by the harshness and the bile seeping from his own voice; yet now that he spoke his mind, the rest came spilling out. “And if that wouldn’t make me miserable enough, I can always feel Nelyo’s eyes on me: watching, pondering if I’m planning to betray him. He would not let me move a grass-blade without his knowledge. Do you not see, Tyelko, how my name has been besmirched, how my person bemired…? Do you think I have truly earned this…? And even if I have, for every sinner, there is a trial, and at every trial, the accused must have a choice.”

“And you had one!”

“Ah-hah, that is where you err,” Curufinwë laughed mirthlessly. “Tyelcano made me stay and endure; yet all I can think of now is how great would it be to live, to ride around Beleriand on my own horse, as my whole master, doing what I please! Tasks be damned! Responsibilities be damned! Past, present and future be thrice-damned! For I am tired, so tired of everything! Yet if this cannot be, and my fate is to stay here and be despised, at least let me continue being despised in piece and silence, and – most importantly – alone!”

“Trust is a fragile thing, brother,” said Tyelkormo in a puzzled voice. “We broke it.”

“Oh, don’t start with that!” Curufinwë seethed. “You broke it, is what you wanted to say. And Counsellor Tyelcano told me the same thing. It is said that the blades of trust are hard to forge and easy to blunt, he cooed in that deep wise voice of his, yet once they are sharpened anew, they slice the very stones from the earth. And he expected me to believe that. Trust is granted or denied, Tyelko – it is there or it isn’t. There are no logical foundations for trust! Elsewise, we’d always be capable of thinking through our choices and decisions, and we could not be deceived.”

“I do not agree with you!” Tyelkormo swallowed. “I refuse to. We have done great wrongs, Curvo, and I do say we. I was part of it, just as much as you were; but there must be a way back for us, a way to regain Nelyo’s trust and a way to make him proud!”

“Do you mean that we should start begging for things that are ours by birth-right?!” Curufinwë said in a low voice.

“Nelyo’s trust is no birth-right. We have cruelly misused it. Now we must be punished.”

“And, as usual, my punishment is bigger than yours.”

“Indeed?” Tyelkormo’s voice was very still, yet somewhat menacing. “Mine, who roams about Himlad restlessly, among ruined watchtowers and bowelled corpses? Mine, who still lives on salt beef and lukewarm water? Mine, who…” His voice trailed off, as if something had dawned on him. “But wait, maybe you are right,” he said, his tone suddenly vicious. “Maybe it is truly more difficult for you to lock yourself up in your workshop all day, and order your apprentices around, than it is for me to protect our borders! Maybe it is much easier to try and face your own mistakes and learn from them, to try and learn how to be humble while it is clearly against your nature, then to crawl around in the dark, cursing and muttering under your breath. Alas, my poor brother, how outrageous it is that you have been forgiven! It must be a horrendous punishment for one so selfish and vain as you to be faced with generosity beyond justice. You are right, you should have been kicked out from this castle and dragged along Himlad’s wastelands for every eye to see: that is what you would have deserved! Shame on you, Curufinwë, and on everything you said! How can you still feel sorry for yourself?!”

There was a long pause.

“You have a bit of butter on your nose,” Curufinwë said.

“Butter,” Tyelkormo responded, puzzled, as if unsure of the word’s meaning.

“Aye. Right there. No, there. No… let me,” Curufinwë leaned forward. “There,” He licked his fingers. “It goes well with the honey.”

Tyelkormo was staring at him.

“Curvo…?”

“Hm?”

“Is that all you have to say?! Quit muttering incoherent phrases and answer me!”

“I have nothing to answer.”

Tyelkormo grabbed Curufinwë by the shoulders and shook him so hard that his teeth clanked together.

“Stop – being – all – dramatic – about – yourself!” He seethed. “Stop it! Stop this… theatre, your pretences, your bad lies and big scenes, all the soundless sulking and the great monologues! Stop ignoring me and everything I say! Stop playing with the power of your voice, stop avoiding everyone, stop fooling me, stop flickering like a candle being blown out by the wind! Just – stop! I can’t help you if you shut me out! No one can! You will destroy yourself, Curvo, and no one will be able to help you then!”

“I don’t want anyone to help me!” Curufinwë said, precisely articulating every word. “I don’t want to be helped! I don’t want to get better! I prefer crawling around my workshop in the darkness, as you call it. Just leave me be! You are not helping by dragging me along, only to convince yourself that I am all right. I am no responsibility of yours, Tyelko. Nor anyone else’s.”

Tyelkormo stared deep into his eyes, and Curufinwë knew he saw the sincerity in them.

Indeed; he truly meant what he just said.

The slap was open-handed, magnificently arched and so forceful that his whole skull resonated with the blast it gave; and for a few moments, his vision was reduced to bright spots floating upon an endless horizon of darkness. The slowly fading picture was so overwhelming that it shut out the sensation of pain for a whole minute, before Curufinwë could even think of raising his hand, and sticking a finger under his nose. His mouth filled with the peculiar, metallic taste of blood.

Curufinwë flexed and unflexed the muscles in his hands, paying no heed to the red river dripping down his chin.

“I have enough problems without you breaking my nose, Tyelko,” he said, his voice still flat. “But if that is what you want, I will suffer it. Go on. Hit me again. Spit on me for all I care. I will not be cowed, and you will not change my mind. If you want to cause terrible pain, though, I’d suggest breaking my knees. Injuries effected upon my head may temporarily render me even more tunnel-visioned and stubborn than I already am, you see.”

“I don’t want to cause you pain,” Tyelkormo said, his voice frightened. “I just want to wake you. I just want my brother back. At whatever cost. We have always threaded our paths together. Why would you suddenly leave me, Curvo? Is that what you would call fair? The witty, lofty-tongued dunderhead I know, the dunderhead you are would not choose the easy way, and let himself be drowned in his own mistakes and stupidity! Curufinwë, son of Fëanáro, the brother I have known for long years would raise his head with pride and honour and he would fight, because he would know when he is needed!”

“Raising my head would mean looking around, and looking around would mean acknowledging things,” said Curufinwë, a lot more honestly than intended. “I don’t want to do that.”

“Sooner or later, you must,” Tyelkormo countered. “Carnistir has come, and he brought an army of Men with him, along with many news. I met him yestereve out in the wastelands, then rode far ahead to bring Nelyo the word. I gravely doubt that he would grant you the chance to go on hiding and skulking.”

“I do what I please,” said Curufinwë, and for a short moment, his usual loftiness crept back into his speech. “Tell me about this army of Men!”

“Come, eat with us tonight,” said Tyelkormo, “and you may meet them. There is a Council to be held as well.”

“I no longer frequent dinners and council meetings.”

“Then crawl back to your cellars to feast on lead and bits of coal! If they’re bitter enough, you might still come back to your right mind, and act like a son of our sire again!”

Curufinwë could feel from the tone and rhythm of his words that Tyelkormo had finally grown tired of him.

The prospect filled him with dread rather than relief.

“Tyelko,” he said in a low voice. “I am not wanted at the high table.”

“You are!”

“You are the only one who wants me there.”

“That is not true. Our whole family wants you there, and it is your duty to come. You must meet these Men, Curvo. They shall very likely be our new allies, and our only hope to drive the Orcs out of Himlad – if they could be trusted. Since the Counsellor is not here, Nelyo might have need of your mind-reading skills.”

“I cannot read minds, Tyelko, you know that very well.”

“But you’re a fairly good liar,” Tyelkormo winked. “Therefore, an excellent spotter of lies.”

Curufinwë knew he was running out of arguments. And as he looked at his brother once again, the shadow was lifted from his heart.

Would it hurt to give in to the only person’s desires who truly cared about him? Would it hurt to go to that dinner and feel miserable there, instead of continue feeling miserable down in the smithy? Curufinwë concluded that his choice did not matter. He could might as well go to that Valar-forsaken feast, and meet those Valar-forsaken Men.

Tyelkormo was still looking at him expectantly, so he cleared his throat.

“Three things, Tyelko,” he said. “One: I don’t care about your Men. Two: this dinner will put me through torment your feeble mind cannot imagine; therefore, you will have to compensate me. Thoroughly. And three… I am not convinced – I have merely taken pity on you.” Curufinwë crossed his arms. “And I might still change my mind – but as things are now, then yes, I will go to that sorry dinner. But only for your sake. I want you to remember that.”

“I will,” said Tyelkormo. His hands were warm as he raised them to his face. “Thank you, brother,” he added slowly, sincerely. “You don’t know how much this means to me.”

“Well I suppose I don’t,” Curufinwë sighed. “But I do know that if you don’t pull out your water-skin in three seconds to clean my face, you’re going to regret it. I cannot waltz around this castle all bloody and smudged like some scoundrel!”

“You are a scoundrel,” Tyelkormo raised his brows, but there was mirth in his eyes. “Maybe we all are.”

The only answer Curufinwë gave to that was raising a finger; then, when Tyelkormo did not seem to get his meaning, he raised the second one.

“All right, all right!” His brother sighed, and proceeded to remove the patches of dried blood from his face. His skin was filled with watered wine, and Curufinwë scowled at the scent of stale alcohol.

“Besides,” he heard himself saying, “it might be worthy of note that it still hurts.”

“Aye,” Tyelkormo muttered. “I’m good at punching people.”

“You know, I’ve never realised just how good you are.”

“Should I say thank you?” Tyelkormo winked, but his voice was regaining its seriousness. The more blood and dirt he removed from Curufinwë’s face, the more he seemed to lose his humour.

“Ah…,” he said after a time, “Curvo… I’m sorry. I didn’t know I hit that hard.”

“You left a mark.” Curufinwë knew it would happen so. He knew it right from the moment he received the slap.

“I’m afraid I did.”

“And? How do I look?”

“Like someone who’s been punched in the face,” Tyelkormo said truthfully. “By an expert.”

“Wonderful. This is just what I needed now.”

“But it also makes you look… fierce,” his brother tried. “Like, I don’t know, like someone who picked a fight with a band of Orcs. Bare-handed.”

“Oh yes, surely. And the Orcs just slapped me instead of giving me a black eye at the very least.”

Tyelkormo raised an eyebrow, and Curufinwë drew a sharp breath.

“I don’t have a black eye, now, do I?”

“Currently,” said Tyelkormo, “it’s a red eye.”

“Wonderful. Truly. Congratulations.”

“Curvo, I’m so sorry!” Tyelkormo exclaimed. “Not sorry I slapped you,” he precised with a grin, “but sorry I left a mark. Truly. Sincerely.”

“Forget it,” Curufinwë waved his hand. “It’s not like it will hurt my dignity, either way. I don’t have much left.”

“Curvo…”

“I mean it.” Curufinwë held his brother’s hand. “I daresay this dinner will be quite interesting. But will you do just one thing for me, Tyelko?”

“Anything,” came the answer.

“Let us keep in secret how this happened,” Curufinwë forced a grin on his face. “We shan’t tell anyone. Ever. Let’s always remain very grave, theatrical and mysterious about it.”

“Let’s,” Tyelkormo echoed happily.

“With time, even we will forget what truly happened, and the impossible pieces of fiction floating around shall take the place of true memories in our heads. And thus, your punch-mark on my face shall become myth and legend.”

“As my lord brother pleases,” Tyelkormo grinned.

I am no lord, Curufinwë thought as he faked another smile. And you cannot please me.


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

Maril [m. glass / crystal], who is an apprentice here, made several appearances in my other works (no longer published, I think), so some of you may remember him.

The Evening Play

Maedhros and his brothers hold a great feast in the Himring - the wine, however, is not watered enough, and there are consequences.

Read The Evening Play

XX. The Evening Play

All echoes of murmur ceased in the Great Hall of the Himring when Lord Maedhros, Protector of Himlad, Warden of the East and Enemy of the Enemy rose to his feet.

Maedhros waited a few moments for the silence to deepen, to fill the hall from floor to ceiling. Then, he pushed his chair lightly under the table, fingers tightening around his diamond-wrought chalice: one of the scarce things that remained from his father's heritage.

The Warden of the East took a liking to that chalice and used it only on special occasions. Maedhros himself, however, found it artsy, heavy, and entirely useless, since it was designed in such a way that half a precious mouthful of wine always rested at its bottom, and it was impossible to pour it out within the boundaries of polite dining.

However, no more than the sight of the jewel-bedight goblet was enough to raise spirits in the hall. Something important is happening, it implied: a mute answer to hundreds of unasked questions.

And answers were long overdue.

Despite all Maedhros’s efforts, rumours spread like wildfire and – as far as he knew – the few morsels of valid information that managed to escape his council chamber had evolved into heroic, if not very believable tales. A pair of scouts claimed with sincere conviction that Lord Tyelkormo – but he is no longer a lord, some other scouts whispered -, battled a Valarauko out in the wastelands, and it was the whip of that beast that wounded the Lord Makalaurë’s arms and back. Others claimed that they saw Master Curufinwë forge swords that could catch fire like oil-dampened wood and burn with a vicious red flame. And there were voices, of course, that whispered news about a stolen Silmaril, and Thingol’s daughter who broke into the Enemy’s fortress, aided by none other than her lover, a mortal Man from the House of Barahir; and Huan the Hound, who had been following Lord Tyelkormo’s horse for centuries. Maedhros could almost hear those voices whispering, Lo! The princess of the Moriquendi dared a deed our Lords did not. A Jewel is missing from the Enemy’s crown, and it is in Doriath. What will our Warden do?

Your Warden will protect you, Maedhros thought, and for a heartbeat, his pale eyes were on fire. For there are still two Jewels wrought within that crown; and Moringotto sleeps no longer.

The lord who tries silencing rumours by force can shake hands with the lord who dies in the effort of putting a dike in front of the Sea, his counsellor had once told him. ‘Tis like one of those tiring games your Haru played with you in Valinórë, and you tried in vain to guess the point, only to realize that the point was non-existent.

They were simple paradoxes, Maedhros heard himself responding. Mazes with a narrow way in, and no way out.

Gazing around in the crowded Hall, he felt slightly uncomfortable without Tyelcano by his side: seated on his right, always clad in blue or black, silent and sincere, keen and resourceful, solving every situation with ruthless efficacity. The Counsellor had become the head of his household, solid and permanent as the Himring itself. Maedhros barely noticed him anymore, because he was always there, everywhere and anywhere he was needed; solemn, chivalrous and ready to serve.

Now, his absence all but annoyed him. He had all his brothers, his captains and his bannermen assembled in the same Hall, along with potential allies. If anyone, then Tyelcano could surely prevent disaster from striking... but could he?

He had no choice but to find out.

“Let us all greet our noble guests,” said The Warden of the East imperiously, taking a few lithe steps down the stairs that separated the high table from the smaller ones, chalice still in hand. The folds of his lustrous red-and-golden cloak hid tactfully the stump where his right hand should have been, and the words of the Sindarin tongue sprang fair and free from his lips. “My brothers all rode fast and far so they could feast with us tonight. I must say that my heart is glad to see my family gathered anew after all the long and perilous years that passed… May this feast bring joy and satiety to you all! You, who guard these walls and fill these halls at all times, be they good or evil – raise your cups now to Maglor, Celegorm, Caranthir, Curufin, Amrod and Amras from the House of Fëanáro. Then fill them again and raise them for your own sake! People of my halls, rejoice!”

A wave of joyful cheering washed down the old, thick castle walls and a hundred cups gleamed golden in the light of torches. Maedhros raised his chalice well above his head before he proceeded to drink: a spectacle he remembered both Atar and Haru doing.

The wine tasted at once sweet and sour. Once he swallowed it, he felt some rich smack lurking at the end of his tongue, suggesting that the vintage was old.

All cups were emptied as the Sons of Fëanor delivered their speeches one by one in flowing Sindarin, greeting their eldest brother, and thanking him for his hospitality as courtesy ordained. Their speeches were smooth and uncharacteristically moderated, although Maglor repeatedly included Quenya words, forgetting their Sindarin counterparts; and Curufin was adamant at using the archaic pronunciation of the ‘s’ sound, which made his speech sound like lisping. And then, finally it was time for the youngest to rise to speak.

“I thank you all for your kind greetings,” Amrod said. He descended with slow steps at the opposite side of the table, not reaching the level where Maedhros stood to mask their difference of height. “I am most glad to be back behind the walls that withstood the Flames of the Enemy. You assembled here are all dear to my heart, be you a sergeant of mine or of any of my brothers’. Yet alas! There are many Elves and Men, many brave and noble souls who cannot be here with us tonight; either because they have been killed by the Enemy’s servants or because they stand watch over us, protecting us from the rogues and scattered Orc-bands that run all around Beleriand. These soldiers, these guardians are the only, thin wall standing between us and the Enemy’s utmost will: the destruction of our lands and fortresses, and chaos among our people. Let us raise our cups for our sworn brothers and sisters!”

“Rejoice!” The cry went up all around the tables, and Maedhros bowed his head with the rest of his brothers, thinking of Tyelcano above all.

“And last, but not the least,” Amrod went on, “let us greet the one without whom our people’s kingdoms would not be more than scattered ruins over empty wastelands. Without whom all hope would leave us. Let us all raise our cups one more time and drink to the health of our noble Lord, the Warden of the East, the Protector of our land, the Enemy of our Enemy, and my eldest and wisest brother. All hail the Lord Maedhros, son of Fëanáro, son of Finwë the First King; people of his halls, rejoice!”

“All hail the Lord of Himring!” The attendants of the feast boomed. “All hail the Protector of Himlad! All hail the Warden of the East! All hail the Enemy of the Enemy! All hail our Lord Maedhros! Let us drink to his health!”

When his brothers joined the soul-stirring ovation, Maedhros felt a thin smile escaping his heart and rushing onto the Warden’s face. He would have never admitted such a thing, but he loved to hear the praise of his people; mostly because it was scarce, and it came from the depths of their hearts.

“Thank you all for your greetings,” Maedhros forced that smile to stay on the Warden’s face, then emptied his goblet once more, mutely cursing the last sip of wine that lingered alow. “And now, before we let ourselves enjoy our food and drink and feast the night away, I demand your attention for a short while.”

The complete, utmost silence that settled in the entire Hall within the next heartbeat tickled his sense of humour; nevertheless, he nodded his thanks and handed his cup to a passing servant, shooing him off towards the high table.

“As Lord Amrod wisely mentioned, Himlad is being raided by Orc bands, who have gone as far as to lay hands upon my own brothers, Maglor, Celegorm and Curufin...”

Maedhros raised his hand to silence the uproar that followed his words.

“…who have successfully met their assault, and chased them off to the North. Your brothers-in-arms are currently pursuing them, yet there are more coming. Many more. More than you might think and more than we can handle alone; and this disaster did not only strike in Himlad. If you look around in this Hall, you may see than Men from the East are settled among us. As things are now, they are strangers to you; yet from this day to the end of our days in Beleriand, I shall expect you to treat them with friendship and respect, for they have offered us their swords and axes. They have been chased from their homes and lands by Morgoth – his name be cursed! – their fathers, their mothers, their wives, and their children were killed, their houses burned, their weapons melted, their goods stolen. And in that sense, we are all one in this hall! Let the leaders of these people now rise, and step in front of you, along with my brother Caranthir, Lord of Thargelion, who vouches for their trustworthiness.”

“That I do,” Caranthir’s booming voice emerged from the High Table as he stood, and walked downstairs to reach Maedhros’s level. “I have walked a thousand paths with these Men, and befriended them, if I am permitted to say; and I am glad to have them by my side, our side, in times such as these. For the roads of Beleriand are truly becoming dangerous; elsewise, we would have arrived three entire days ago! Yet we were running late; for we’ve had news that another band of that Orc-filth was crossing our way. I would have felt inglorious had I let them slip away!”

“All hail the Lord Caranthir and his sense of duty!” Maedhros exclaimed in a high-toned voice. It was something the Warden of the East would probably do.

“Rejoice!” the cry went up around the tables, echoing cheerfully.

“And all hail the wine of the Himring!” Caranthir countered when he tasted the dense drink and a hundred cheerful voices echoed his clamour. Then, to Maedhros’s surprise, he handed the emerald-wrought chalice straight to a Man who seceded from the crowd and stepped forward, followed by seven others.

“Here, friend,” Caranthir said in a lordly tone, “try the best vintage you’ve ever tasted. This shall warm you up, I have no doubt.”

“Thank you for your courtesy, Lord Carnistir,” a croaky voice answered in fluent Sindarin – save for the name. The ‘r’ in that name was whirling like an ‘r’ should in the clearest archaic dialect one could imagine. Maedhros watched with keen eyes as the Adan folded back his riding-hood and took the chalice from Caranthir’s hands.

The face that emerged from under the black cloth was something like the one he had expected: hard and deeply lined, with golden-brown skin that enhanced the Adan’s broad features. Even now as he smiled, a dim wild gleam was present in his dark eyes, his lustrous black mop of hair falling recklessly onto his forehead. His beard was short, though, and well-trimmed.

This is one fearsome warrior, Maedhros decided.

“Brother,” Caranthir said in a voice that sounded at the same time broadish and high-toned. “Let me present you Lord Ulfang at first, along with his sons, Uldor, Ulfast and Ulwarth. They and their people have entered my service merely two years ago, and already, they have aided me more than others did in two centuries. I had hoped to give them lands south of Thargelion, but the Orcs chased us until your doorstep: a shame I shall no longer try to swallow. Let them aid you, brother, along with me and every soul assembled under my flag, and we shall help you cleanse your lands of the pent-up dirt!”

“That is long overdue,” said the Warden of the East, his voice a lot more majestic than Maedhros felt himself being. “I greet you, Men of the East! Be welcome in my halls and bear my friendship, as long as you bear my brother’s.”

“And I greet you, Lord of Himring and Warden of the East,” Ulfang answered, bowing his head. “I've heard much about you from your people; many tales of your deeds and bravery and many more of your stalwartness against the Enemy. My sword and life are pledged to the Lord Carnistir just as my sons’ but one day, if odds dictate that my Lord should fight by your side, we would be glad if we were not to stay behind.”

“Your wish may come true sooner than you think,” Maedhros said, slightly astonished by such words of courtesy coming from a Man this hard and battle-worn.

“That is good to hear m’lord,” the Easterling said. “My people already owe you a debt you cannot imagine, yet we hope to give you a gift in return. My kinsman has decided to offer you his service, and kindly asked me to vouch for him, for he has yet to learn the curious ways of Elven speech.”

Tongue, Maedhros thought absently, here, you should rather use ‘tongue’.

“…my kinsman and his sons are leaders of the tribe that fled across the Blue Mountains, hunted by the shadow of the Enemy. Food, shelter and work for their hands they seek; and they are willing to pay for such goods by swearing fealty to you and your House.”

“Every hand that bears a weapon is most welcome,” said the Warden of the East gracefully, although the Elf within found the notion of swearing slightly repulsive. “Let your kinsman step forth, for I would like to see his face and hear his name.”

Ulfang bowed before him, and said a few harsh, shrill words he did not understand. A Man’s shadowy figure stepped forth from behind Ulfang’s three sons, followed closely by three of his own. His skin was an even darker brown, his beard long and his features broad and mannish, much like those of the others. His brown eyes were wide open, filled with fear, admiration, and some other emotion Maedhros could not quite discern.

The Man withstood his gaze for less than a second, then he fell to his knees before his feet, and dropped his head. His sons stood like mute statues above him, their heads bowed, their arms tense. The Man then spoke a few sentences in his funny tongue; jarred and overwhelmed, his voice trembled in a way that was close to sobbing, yet it was still one of the proudest, most dignified orations Maedhros has ever heard.

He glanced at Ulfang, who came to his rescue as soon as the other Adan fell silent.

“My kinsman is grateful that he could kneel before you tonight, m’lord,” Ulfang said, voice upraised so his words would be heard in the entire Hall. “He has long wished to see the Enemy of the Enemy whose hair is red as flame and whose wrath is feared by many servants of the Darkness. He says that you are the only hope for his people, and he begs you to let him enter your service and dwell in your lands. He is offering his sword and life to you, Lord Warden.”

The Warden of the East nodded, and let the approving murmur of his people trail off.

“Orya!” he said, and leant down to touch the Adan’s chin lightly. He spoke in his own tongue, as he knew that it had a strange power over mortals; and he was right, for the Man raised his head, the joy of being accepted setting in his eyes. He stood.

“What is your name?” Maedhros asked him, switching back to Sindarin. He saw a flicker of recognition sparkling in the dark orbs, and he thought the Adan understood, but in the next moment, he shook his head.

“No,” he said grudgingly, when only silence answered him. “No name. You give me name.”

“You want me to name you…?” For a split second, the Warden of the East was forgotten, and Maedhros stared at the Man in wonder. Naming was a very intimate thing…

“This Man and his tribe have lost everything they had, brother,” came Caranthir’s voice from the left. “Their homes, their wealth, most of their families… when Ulfang and his sons laid their swords before my feet, they asked me to give them names as well, and I chose to give them back their old names, the ones they had forsaken when Moringotto destroyed their lives. I said I would help them avenge their loss, so they would feel worthy of their own names again; but the Adan who stands before you is proud and stubborn; and he shall not wear his old name again, for he considers it dead. He has chosen you as his lord and commander, and it shall be up to you to name him after the deeds he will do in your service.”

I cannot have nameless soldiers! Maedhros thought. I am not Moringotto…

The Warden of the East drew a deep breath, knowing that all eyes were on him in the Hall. And suddenly, he knew what to do.

“Bór,” He declared, his voice deep, his eyes grave, and he touched the side of the Adan’s face lightly. “Bór I shall name you, and that name is a promise. I want your sons and grandsons, and your people to remember you as the one who stood, and never wavered. You shall remain by my side in battles and trials to come. I want the Enemy – his name be cursed! – and his servants to cry Bór’s name in anguish and fear. Come now, son of Men, and draw your sword so the torches may light it!”

Half of Ulfang’s throaty translation was stifled by the ringing cheers of the audience, but Maedhros paid no heed to that. His eyes were on the Adan’s – Bór’s – face, radiating with heat and emotion. Something akin with wonder and gratitude lit up in the dark eyes, and he finally dared to properly look at Maedhros. He could only guess what the Man saw – a noble face with hard outlines, a forest of auburn hair, a graceful jawline and a pair of stormy grey eyes, still hideously beautiful and unblemished, burning with a distant white flame; thin, light cicatrices running down at the sides of his neck: whip-marks, cuts and other blemishes, all vanishing, all faint, vacant ghosts of pain… No other than Findekáno and his healers knew how they ran all through his body, up and down and across and around…

Yet, the Warden of the East had a beautiful face; white as marble. Cold as marble.

Dead as marble.

“All hail the Men of the East!” Cried a voice at the high table.

“Rejoice!” The clamour went up once again, and it was echoed ten times as Bór of the East swore fealty to the House of Fëanor and the Easterlings were seated among Himlad’s best captains.

Maedhros hoped that the cries were loud enough to stuff his people’s ears and heads, so they would forget about all the strange rumours buzzing around.

For one evening, at least.

~ § ~

When they arrived back at the dais, Caranthir took his place casually between Amrod and Amras. Maedhros settled at the head of the table, and had his chalice refilled.

“It is good to have you all gathered around my table,” he said. “Too many things have happened since we last met in council.”

“Too many indeed,” Curufin answered him, playing absentmindedly with his spoon, while food was served; then he suddenly raised his eyes, and Maedhros was surprised to see mirth in them. “Bór, Nelyo? Seriously? You could have at least given him a mazy name… for educational purposes…”

Maedhros let the adequate grin spread on his face; only then did he notice that there was something curious about Curufin’s countenance.

And he was not the only one to see it.

“Now-now, brother,” Caranthir snickered, “who punched you so properly and deservedly in the face?”

Celegorm and Curufin exchanged a mysterious glance.

“Consider it a battle scar,” said Celegorm very seriously.

“A most unfortunate incident,” Curufin nodded.

“…shared only with the worthy few.”

“I shall let my worth be otherwise defined,” Maedhros broke in, though he was terribly curious. “What do you make of these Easterlings?”

“As our Lord Warden has wisely said, every hand that bears a weapon is most welcome,” Celegorm recited. His eyes were sparkling, and Maedhros supposed he had been in his cups. “Or did it go the other way around? Every weapon that bears a hand…”

“They are very different from us, there is no doubt,” came Maglor’s solemn voice from across the table, “but they impressed me, in a way, or so I feel.”

“I am getting fond of them,” Caranthir declared. “They are witty, and fierce on the battlefield. Some of them learned quickly to present our courtesies, even if their true nature is much cruder... And Ulfang has a startling but deeply amusing sense of humour.”

“I can imagine,” Curufin snorted. “He seems to be the kind of fellow who plays puppetry with the skulls of his enemies.”

“That is a plaything of Orcs,” Maglor stated reproachingly. “He has his manners, or haven’t you heard? I wonder when were you granted with an occasion to meet foes of that kind.”

“Why, Nargothrond is filled with them,” Celegorm shrugged. “Only, they are playing puppetry with words, which gets slightly boring after a time.”

“Oh,” Maglor countered in a shrill tone, “and is that a comic play? With one puppet calling ‘King-slayer!’ and the other calling ‘Traitor!’?”

I should have had that wine watered, Maedhros realised.

In happier times, this would have been the moment when Tyelcano came to the rescue – the counsellor had a remarkable talent of switching from cumbrous subjects to pleasant ones. But he was far away now, probably struggling through the thick layer of fog in the wastelands; and before Maedhros could think twice, Curufin’s entire countenance froze, and disaster stroke.

“Speaking of Nargothrond,” Caranthir raised his thin brows, “I’ve heard of you esclandres, sweet brothers. Congratulations in hindsight! Forgive me if my applause was not loud enough to hear a thousand miles apart.”

Oh no. Oh, Valar, no. Not now.

“Do not poke your nose into things you cannot hope to understand,” Celegorm growled. “We have been betrayed.”

“O, damnation!” Caranthir sighed theatrically. “Betrayed! My eyes are watering! You must have been very deeply hurt to be able to jest about all the turmoil you caused! You must horribly regret your malevolence... your ignorance... your stupidity! And I thought that you have been wronged! And I thought that you have been put to danger! And I worried for you...! I have feared for your life you filthy little…! Pray tell me what happened! Pray tell me why on Arda you thought that high treason was a good idea...!”

Maedhros opened his mouth to harshly rebuke him but no sound escaped his lips. Valar knew, he did not have any arguments to clash against that reasoning... And as unwise as it seemed, part of him desperately wanted to hear Celegorm’s response.

“Shut your mouth, Carnistir!” Curufin hissed. “I will not have you questioning our decisions. I've already had enough of that. I’m coming to regret that I came to this accursed dinner at all.”

“Aye, you should,” Maglor suddenly called at him, his voice unusually cool. “For you have no place among us…”

“K-a-n-o!” Maedhros groaned in distress. Manwë above, this was going the worst way possible! He knew Maglor heard him and was aware of him, he saw it – still, his brother adamantly finished his sentence.

“…and not even among your children!”

“Enough!” Maedhros half snapped, half gasped. “By the Valar, Kano, do you hear yourself speaking…?!”

But it was too late.

Curufin looked disturbingly like their long-dead father when he rose from the table, chalice still in hand, lustrous black hair flowing restlessly, exuberantly down his shoulders; and his voice was also much like Fëanáro’s when he spoke.

“There is not much to be said,” he glanced darkly at his brothers, grey eyes fixed finally at Maglor’s face. “You speak of my children in vain. I have no son and no daughter.”

His chalice banged on the table and half its contents were spilled; the oldest wine of the Himring’s cellars was drenching the table-cloth with arborescent lines of blood-red while Curufin took five quick steps down the stairs and disappeared behind the rear door. Celegorm stood as well, turned his back on the high table, and went after him, though his moves seemed somewhat less guarded. There was no shouting, no swearing, nor any kind of loud confrontation but the air seemed to vibrate with tension; and this alone was enough for dead silence to spread in the hall.

Maedhros chose to ignore it all and had his cup filled for the eighteenth time, if he counted it correctly. After a few more seconds of sullen silence, Amras took a hesitant mouthful of food and Caranthir pushed his chair closer to the table. Slowly, they went on feasting as if nothing had happened; and all the rest of the hall willingly joined the theatre.

A few tormenting minutes passed.

“One day,” Amrod suddenly spoke up, his voice strangely distant, “we found an Orc-nest under the mountains with Carnistir and the Easterlings. We wandered far south from the lands of the Dwarves – I have never been there before! Telvo and I had chased those Orcs for three days straight… They never seemed to tire, and their dwellings were well hidden. The passages were becoming so narrow under the earth that two soldiers could not march forth shoulder to shoulder, yet I went on with Telvo, Moryo and Ulfang... And there we went, guarding each other's steps; I went forth, and Carnistir followed with Telvo and the Adan at his heels. The paths were silent…”

“Now,” Maedhros said, ready to unleash his frustration upon the first possible target, “what exactly do you think you were doing in a narrow passage well under the earth, with no more than a mortal Man to guard you? You are not reckless Elflings anymore! You could have been attacked, or worse, captured!”

“That is not the moral of the story!” Amrod countered with a sigh. “What we found... what we found in those caverns were thralls. Not Elves and not Orcs; something in between. Creatures that could not be healed, not in this Age of the world. In happier times I might have known some of them by the name.... Yet we had to kill them. To slaughter them one by one, to chase them as hounds would chase a deer for their master to hunt it down.”

“Is this an attempt to brighten our moods?” Maglor snapped.

“No. This is an attempt to make you listen!” Amrod crossed his arms. “We were furious. And we did not understand what was happening. Are thralls not meant to stay in the Dark Lands until their... their transformation is complete? Or if this is what Moringotto wants, why would he not keep them in Angamando? We could not even dream why...”

“Why Moringotto let them stay in such conditions?” Maedhros laughed darkly. “Or why did he hand them out to his Orcs? He did it for you to find them, evidently. For your mere distress. For you to start wandering what kind of hideous sorcery must lurk in Angamando that could be capable of this; as well as for me to remember dark days long gone. To plant fear in our hearts, to let it grow.”

“That is still not the moral of the story,” said Amrod, and he raised a finger. “We could not even dream why Moringotto let them stay in such a condition, aye. But now I think I understand. He did it for the same reason he seeks to plant enmity between us. And you, brothers, are all helping his cause! You, Kano, by insulting Curvo; you, Carnistir, by irritating him; you, Nelyo, by silently letting all of it happen; and you, Telvo, by simply eating, all so naturally, and pretending we don’t even exist!”

“Are you seriously reproaching Telvo that he was eating?!” Caranthir rolled his eyes. “Without even mentioning what Tyelko did…?!”

“I should not have mentioned Curvo’s children,” said Maglor, his face white as a wall. “I know that. But I just… I couldn’t just sit there, and suffer these two jesting about what they did, after everything that happened… knowing what they did to us…”

“Enough.”

There was something in Maedhros’s voice that made the air all but freeze around them.

“I am the one who made a mistake tonight,” he said, “by thinking you could manage to spend one evening without clawing at each other’s throats. From this moment to the end of our feast, I demand silence. I don’t want to hear your chattering and muttering and hassling and flite.”

One by one, his brothers bowed their heads before their elder.

“Kano, Moryo,” said Maedhros menacingly, “You shall look for Curvo and apologise. What happened after his and Tyelko’s arrival stays between us. You have no right to speak to him in such a way… no matter what. Patience and generosity are the worst kind of punishment you can give him.”

 “As you wish,” Caranthir nodded. Maglor remained silent.

Maedhros looked around. The faces he saw mirrored his own displeasure, hurt and uneasiness. Amrod and Amras were shooting quick glances towards Caranthir who was twiddling his thumbs, his brows furrowed. Maglor, on the other hand, sat still, his thin lips pressed together as if he’d decided not to speak anymore in this Age of the world. Celegorm and Curufin were nowhere to be seen.

Laughter escaped Maedhros’s lips; harsh, raspy, bitter laughter. The same laughter that shook his entire body when he saw the stump of his right hand for the first time in the light of day.

“Nelyo?”

Maglor was staring at him. He recognised his foul mood, Maedhros knew.

“Raise your cups,” he said mockingly, “and hail the Lord of the Ñoldor, the Head of the House of Fëanáro, the Warden of the East and the Enemy of the Enemy! All hail the Lord Maedhros, the Hero of Many Battles, who cannot even keep his brothers at hand!”

“That’s not…,” Maglor started, but Caranthir slammed his goblet against the table, and cried in his booming voice,

“Rejoice!”

And the unsuspecting Hall echoed.


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

‘Valarauko’ is Quenya for ‘Balrog’.

Bór’s name means ‘faithful’, and it was canonically given to him by the Elves – so I thought it would be appropriate if Maedhros himself named him. It was a very conscious decision to make him appear much more educated and dependable than Bór and his sons.

‘Atar’ stands for ‘Father’ and ‘Haru’ for ‘Grandfather’ in Quenya.

‘Orya’ [m.: ‘Rise!’] is an archaic form of Quenya imperative, signalling a very direct command.

A short note on Amrod & Amras:

There are two versions of the canon we know: The (published) Silmarillion one, where Amrod is the elder and Amras the younger, and they both survive until the Third Kinslaying; and the Shibboleth one, in which the twins are reversed – Amras being the elder and Amrod the younger –, and Amrod perishes when the ships are burned in Losgar.

My interpretation is a mashup of the two, since Amrod is the younger, but they both survive the burning of ships.

The Oath Awakens

The Oath of Feanor is awakened, but the flame of its fury is no longer fed by hatred.

Read The Oath Awakens

XXI. The Oath Awakens

The Fortress of Himring, FA 467, the last day of Lótessë

“Maitimo,” came a melodious voice from the other side of the half-open door, “I don’t want to bother you with this, but the provision counts…”

“…are ready. Three copies. Come and collect yours.”

“Oh.”

Maglor entered his room cautiously, as if he was expecting the floor to crack below his feet. Maedhros paid no heed to him at first; he leaned back in his chair, and resumed his reading of Celegorm’s latest account about his patrols, and the disheartening state of dams over Little Gelion.

Tyelcano started telling him almost twelve years ago to have them renovated. The dams were the least of his concerns at that time, though – and who could blame him? Who would have ordered constructions, with the death-rate of Ñolofinwë fresh and vivid, in this cold, far country where the Northern Wind still carried the whirling ashes of Anfauglith over emptied wastelands…?

I should have had.

Devoid of clear instructions, Maglor spent some time finding the adequate scroll of parchment. Maedhros watched him from the corner of his eye, wondering when he would finally leave.

“Maitimo?”

He closed his eyes for a moment.

“I could never fathom,” he said, in a tone that sounded more exhilarated than crude, “why would you address people questioningly. You called for my attention. Where is the question in that?”

“Questions are everywhere,” said Maglor quizzically. “I just wanted to thank you, you know, for allowing me…”

For allowing you to ride off into a battle and bet your life on the biggest, emptiest gamble I’ve ever thrown? Anytime. Great pleasure.

Maedhros felt the pieces of his lordly mask click together as he made an effort to smile.

“If any of us has the right to claim the Gap, it is you, Kano. My heart tells me I’ve made the right choice, however unwise it may seem to send you off with an army of wild Men to meet your fate.”

“I will not disappoint you,” said Maglor. His voice was low, but shrill.

“I know,” Maedhros lied. “We shall hold a last council meeting at sundown. Tell your men to be ready to depart at dawn – swiftly and quietly.”

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

The flight of stairs that led up to the Northern Tower was painfully long. Not that Curufinwë was tired; oh, not at all. But the passage – and thus the march – was long enough for his dark thoughts to break free from the chains of his shattered self-restraint and overwhelm his fëa.

Still, he went on, grinding his teeth, hands tightened into fists; restless, graceful, invincible.

But what for?

You shall no longer hold a place in my council, Nelyafinwë had said, thunder in his eyes, and no one shall be put under your command, lest they choose so themselves.

And still he had been summoned, with the rest of his brothers. No matter how many locks he kept on the doors of his workshop, the message was still waiting for him placed promptly upon the bench when he entered the smithy, written in his eldest brother’s hand – clumsy and ridiculous to anyone who did not know the story behind the snaggle-toothed cursive.

He, Curufinwë was expected in the council room. But why?

Has Nelyo forgotten? Could he be jesting?

Nay; and nay.

Curufinwë’s quick stern steps were slowing down, his breath spasmodic as if he had just run a mile without halting. It was an alien sensation; did he, Curufinwë Atarinke run out of breath after no more than climbing a tower? He, who had no notion of being truly exhausted? Why was his breath speeding up, why was his heart drumming frantically against his ribcage?

Breathe. He could not breathe, as if someone had set his insides on fire; cruel flames were lighting up in his chest, making his limbs go stiff. What was it – anger? Shame? Distress?

He stopped grudgingly, leaning to the wall with his back. Coldness crept up amongst his muscles where the back of his cloak met the hard rock; the thick wool sheathings beneath his garments were no challenge for the creeping coldness of the Himring to penetrate. This corner of the castle seemed seldom used; merely one or two torches were lit in each bend of the staircase, the rest of the holders gaping emptily.

Curufinwë let the sensation of cold overwhelm him. He closed his eyes for a few seconds, taking several deep breaths, trying to chase away the demons inside his head.

He did not want to see any of his brothers now. Oh Valar, how he loathed to see them.

Where are your children? Makalaurë’s soft musical voice echoed mercilessly in his head. Where is Tyelpë? Where is Erenis?

Tyelperinquar is his own master now, the ghost of Tyelko's voice clashed sharply against Kano’s. Seek for the answer in your heart, you will find this is true. Why would you be so eager to fight your own fate? Let him go, Curvo. The Oath is enough burden on our shoulders.

Curufinwë ran his fingers through the surface of the hard stone wall, exploring every lump and delve. There was not one finger-hold that escaped his unceasing attention. The stones were to his liking, from an old and deeply solid kind that might have been forged and chiselled long ago by the Great Smith Aulë himself, only to be left behind in Endórë, given over to the black claws of Morgoth.

But the ghosts of the past went on haunting his mind.

We shall not lay our hands upon them, the echo of Orodreth’s voice said bitterly. But bread and shelter I shall grant them no more within my realm and there will be little love between Nargothrond and the Sons of Feanor thereafter: this I swear.

Let it be so! Tyelko had laughed like a madman. And he, Curufinwë – he’d said nothing but smiled.

Why had he smiled? Maybe it was just the irony of it all.

They called us traitors. But what else could we have done?

Pressing his thin lips together, he gathered what strength he could and climbed the rest of the stairs. It was not like he, Curufinwë, son of Fëanáro could allow himself to stay behind while his brothers sat in council, circumstances be damned. He gathered himself completely by the time he reached the door; his thumb lingered on the handle for a moment, for he could not hear any words spoken from behind.

The warmth came unexpected.

A jolly fire was burning in the hearth at the nearest corner; its crackle echoed softly between the cramped walls, coaly nibs of flames lapping the hearth-frames. The entire room was no more than a cave-like hole on the top of the tower, and it looked more like an attic than a council-chamber. A big, round table stood in the middle – which alone occupied half the space in the room – and his six brothers were surrounding it. Apart from the hearth, the only source of light was the huge golden candle-holder that stood firmly in the middle of the table; its gleam reflected yellowishly upon a heap of unfolded parchments.

The only empty chair was placed right between Makalaurë and Carnistir, and this fact angered Curufinwë. Of course, he would be forced to sit in silence, to act as if nothing had happened all those days ago. He could not show any sign of weakness – not now.

“I am glad that you came, brother,” Nelyafinwë glanced up to meet his eye.

“Tell me what decisions were made,” said Curufinwë, far less smoothly then intended.

“We did not start the meeting without you,” His eldest brother replied patiently. “We are to discuss an important matter that concerns all of us. You cannot stay behind, Curvo. Come, and sit.”

Curufinwë took three steps towards the table, then came to an abrupt halt.

“This is unexpected,” he crossed his arms. “It has come to my understanding that my title as Lord of the House of Fëanáro has been taken from me, along with the burden of knowledge and responsibilities. Why would you suddenly wish to discuss anything of importance with me? Or Tyelkormo? I see him at this table as well, although he’d suffered the same fate as me. Have you changed your mind, lord brother?”

“I did not involve you in the making of my decisions,” said Nelyafinwë without a blink, “yet I have tasks for you, and I thought it would be useful to acquaint you with them. If your wishes extend to no more than sharpening arrows, though, you are very welcome to crawl back into your hole.”

Curufinwë had at least three possible comebacks at the tip of his tongue, but there was something in his brother’s eyes that made him stop; a distant white flame, burning terrible and low. Curufinwë knew that look; it was enough to make him nod, and take three other steps towards the table then sit, escaping both Makalaure’s and Carnistir’s searching glance.

“Good,” said Nelyafinwë. “Now hear me, brothers! We have battles to win and allies to gather if we truly want to cleanse our lands from the pent-up dirt. We have all made our choices, faced our foes, fought our wars; yet there is one mission, one mission above anything and everything we shall ever do, one task that binds us together until our Quest ends and our heritage, our birth-right is safely back in our hands – until then, or until the World ends. This ultimate purpose: the burden of our Oath is above every rule, every law and every judgement ever made. For what is the doom of the Lords of the Ñoldor against the Doom of Mandos itself?”

“So we came to the proverbial dead end, at last,” said Makalaurë.

Curufinwë looked at him, wondering. Makalaurë had been the last to utter the Oath that bound them endlessly to the fate of their father’s Silmarili; Makalaurë, who had never wished to do it and possibly never intended. Makalaurë, who tended to overlook or sometimes even forget what they had sworn to do...

“…so we have. And yet, a sparkle of hope has flared up in my heart,” said Nelyafinwë firmly. “A fool’s hope if you wish. We have sworn a terrible Oath and we are bound to it until the end of Arda; or maybe after that. And while there is the smallest chance to fulfil it, we have no choice. Each of you must know this, deep in your hearts, as I do.”

“We do,” said Tyelkormo, his voice distant. “Moringotto has been rused and one of our Atar’s Jewels is now missing from his black crown. And alas! it is in Doriath – in the hands of Thingol the Thief.”

“Aye, it is,” Carnistir growled. “And have you and Curvo been just a little less foolish, it could never have gotten there. Did you even consider the possibility of reclaiming the Silmaril after it had been stolen? Let me answer my own question: of course not. I remember Atar knocking on my head from time to time, asking, Do you keep a brain in there, Morifinwë? I am now asking the same question. You could have aided that Man, or could have feigned to do so. You chould have challenged the son of Barahir to get the Jewel and keep it if he could, encouraging him. Indeed, you did not.”

“Do you keep a brain in there, Morifinwë?”

Curufinwë barely raised his voice but his tone and speech were so alike Fëanáro’s that each of his brothers gave a start, then glanced upon him with wary eyes.

“Indeed, we did not,” Curufinwë said, articulating each word thoroughly and precisely. “Our trial has long ended, our choices were made, our deeds discussed, and our punishment received; yet to satisfy your curiosity, Carnistir, hear this. We were convinced – as any of you would have been – that the Quest of the Silmaril was initially doomed to failure. There seemed to be no point in wasting our time on such foolish notions. What would you have done in our stead, brother? Join the party in their folly? You would have been killed before even winning a chance to glimpse the gates of Angamando. Have you not heard what happened to Findaráto and his company? That Man has also been captured and nearly killed; who could have guessed that Thingol’s daughter would go after him with Tyelko’s hound in her heels to fight that lickspittle of Moringotto and his bats and werewolves and all the monstrosities that lurk in those dark lands?! Had it fell upon me to first tell you the tale, all of you would have deemed it nonsense! As it was! As it is! Search your feelings – how could we have been possibly able to foresee this?!”

“You could have tried to measure their valour better, at least,” Carnistir said. “You could have elaborated a what if-plan. And, most of all, you could have been eluded to be dismissed from Nargothrond for all Ages to come... and all the mess that came with it.”

“We did what we deemed best, as I have already told Nelyo,” said Curufinwë gravely. “And I answer to no one else. It is not my problem that the power to hammer common sense into heads is now taken from me.”

“If I were to hammer common sense in any head I would not entrust you with it,” Carnistir snapped. “You are far too fierce and proud, Atarinke. And what for?”

“Then teach me, o Champion of Sobriety!” Curufinwë snapped, in his eyes a menacing light. Before he could realise what was he doing, he jumped to his feet, staring down at his older brother with unhidden anger.

“Enough!” Said Nelyafinwë, his voice splintering down the walls like pieces of gravel crashing down from a cliff on a stormy day. “Carnistir, what our brothers have done is already done, and calling them names will not change the past. Nothing will. Let us be thankful that they have not fallen into a trap of Moringotto, nor were they ambushed by Orcs on their way from Nargothrond and they are here, safe and whole. And Curufinwë – you answer to each and every one of us in this room, just as we do to you, when it comes to any deed related to our Oath. Understood?”

Curufin swallowed his anger. This was justice, and he had earned it. Still, the humble words seemed to roll up his throat like hot flames of pain.

“Yes, Nelyo. Understood.”

“Good. Now sit back, you two, and let us turn our attention to things of importance. Unless anyone protests…?”

There was a long silence. The sound of heavy rain washed down from the roof and the flames in the hearth were growing down, crackling angrily as a few straggling water-drops wormed their way amongst them from some hidden breach in the walls. Then Nelyafinwë stood up, pacing soundlessly in the room. Curufinwë watched the dim light dancing around in his auburn hair, his long thin brows, his stern jawline, and those thin lips that seldom smiled, but when they did, they changed the entire face.

“As I was saying,” his eldest brother went on, “I believe we now have some hope to stand against Moringotto. If an Elven maiden and a mortal Man could indeed manage to steal into the Enemy’s fortress, so can we. Yet we are no thieves, brothers of mine, as were this Man and his mistress; nor could we ever hope to get through the Iron Gates unnoticed. The borders of the Enemy’s lands will be fortified now and watched thrice as carefully as before. There is no more hope in playing hide-and-seek with Moringotto.”

“Then what would you have us do?” Tyelkormo gazed up to meet Nelyafinwë’s eyes. “Gather an army and go to Angamando to bang on his doors with a thousand lances?”

“Now there is an idea worthy of our King,” Nelyafinwë said, eyes lighting up in dark amusement. “Nay, Tyelko; all I hope to do – for now – is to bring back order to these lands. Beleriand shall no longer be a playground of Orcs and other monsters; for Beleriand is the rightful property of the Free People, be they Quendi, Atani or Casari; and the Free People shall defend it. Together.”

“We’re gathering allies,” Curufinwë heard himself saying. “You’re gathering allies,” he corrected himself with a snarl.

“Aye,” Nelyafinwë closed his eyes for a moment. “I have a task for each of you, after your merits, and I shall trust you with those. I shall expect them to be carried out by the time I come back.”

“You are leaving!” Curufinwë exclaimed. His bitterness was suddenly forgotten, and all he felt was the terrible, terrible lack of balance; something akin with dread. “But Nelyo, you can’t leave…”

“I am going on a diplomatic mission,” said Nelyafinwë coolly. “So does Káno, albeit a more violent one. And so do Pityo and Telvo.”

“Albeit an entirely pointless one,” Carnistir barked.

“Silence.”

What, Curufinwë wanted to ask, then realised that he would probably get no answer to his question. He wished to spare himself the shame of being defied.

“Tyelkormo,” Nelyafinwë’s voice rang proud and shrill, “you shall be the commander of the scouts until my return, and Captain Tulcestelmo is remanded to his post in the castle-watch. I know that you are fond of hunting, brother, and I am sorry that the only amusement I can offer is a hunt for Orcs.”

“Better have a lowly amusement than no amusement at all,” said Tyelkormo truthfully. “And I am glad to be of any help.”

His voice was calm, almost indifferent and his face unreadable, yet Curufinwë sensed the tension within him.

He knows nothing, either.

This was the first time he understood what their punishment truly meant.

“Curufinwë,” said his eldest brother, and he dared not look away as their eyes met, “my task for you is sole and simple: I want you to finish what you’ve started. I need craftsmen; smiths, apprentices, eager hands. I want you to teach anybody who is willing to learn, and to pass on as much of your craft as possible. You have all my workshops, my iron and silver and gold and my tools.”

“You will not be disappointed,” said Curufinwë, but he could not grasp the meaning of his own words.

“Good. And now, there is one more thing to discuss…”

The sentence wasn’t immediately finished. Nelyafinwë studied their faces one by one, and Curufinwë had to hold himself from flinching and looking away when that stern, penetrating gaze proceeded to read his heart.

 “…do you want the Oath fulfilled?”

Do we want – what?

“What is the meaning of this?!” Carnistir snapped. “We do – Valar, of course we do!”

“And why do you want it fulfilled?”

Everyone stared at Nelyafinwë at this question. Why. Why?

“There is no such thing as why, Nelyo,” Makalaurë finally said. “We have no choice. We fall to the Darkness, if we don’t...”

“Then that is why you want it fulfilled. To save your own wretched skin,” Their elder’s eyes were suddenly afire. “And what if I told you that it made no difference? That the Valar were never to pardon us, no matter what we would do? We could do as some of you would, we could take up arms, march against Doriath, and slay those of our own kin again... Is this truly your choice, brothers of mine? Strife and peril? Are we no more than common thieves and murderers? I believe I am – and I have had enough! I shall not spare the lives of the Moriquendi because I seek absolution – I shall spare them because I am a Lord of the Ñoldor and not some Orc-chieftain. Our Enemy is not Thingol; it is Moringotto and he still has two of our Atar’s Jewels. That disgusting monster killed our Grandsire and he robbed us; then he had our sire killed… Then he captured me, enslaved me, disgraced me, tortured me; and how many times since then has he charged at us with all his power and wrath…! Are you truly foolish enough to think that he shall ever stop? For as long as we draw breath he shall be after us, ever seeking our death and ruin! Moringotto would be pleased above all if we attacked Doriath, for he would know we could never find pleasure in our victory, even if we would happen to win. And, how could we? No one would come to the aid of traitors and kinslayers. Murderers! How could you wish to stoop so low? I see it in your eyes – I see it; I see you would all choose the road you deem easier. But I shall not – hear me, I shall not attack Doriath. No more kinslaying. Never again. I have had enough.”

No more than a flicker of that voice would have been enough for any soul to understand that Menegroth was not to be attacked; not while the Lord of Himring drew breath.

“And now hear me, sons of Fëanáro!” Nelyafinwë went on, with such a power in his voice that seemed to put Curufinwë’s own to shame. “Cruel is the choice that lies in front of us. We have sworn to get the Silmarili back and we have not sworn it lightly. It would be foolish to think that our Oath could by any means be neglected or delayed. You say that we cannot fight Moringotto with the strength of arms we have – but do you think, do you truly think that we are the only ones to hate the Black Foe? That we are his only enemies? Others loath him too, others have also suffered his torments and monstrosities. You have heard the Men of the East, their wishes and their complaints. They hate the Enemy with fervency, and they would do anything to brighten their families’ lives – and the same is true for all the Free Ones! Every single soul in Beleriand curses the name of Moringotto, people shake their fists and grind their teeth when they hear it! Tales spread to every corner of these lands and if we gather our army while the flames of hope are still high in all hearts, we may gain the power that we desire, and the aid of the High King himself with it.”

“But not under our banners, Nelyo,” Makalaurë said softly, sadly. “You shan’t abide any more kinslaying, you say – but we have already committed this sin. All of us. No one shall pardon it. It makes no difference...”

“Yes, it does,” Nelyafinwë held his head high, so the gleam of lustrous red hair that ran down his shoulders and his back danced around, mirroring the flames in the hearth. “It does – for I want our Oath fulfilled, and fulfilled swiftly so it could cause no more harm. Absolution I shall seek no more; but I believe, I must believe that if our cause is good we shall get the aid we desire. For too long we have stayed in the shadows, not seeing further than our own fear and self-loathing. Imagine we’ve never swore that terrible Oath – even in that case, we would want to avenge our sire and grandsire and those hundreds, thousands of kinsmen and kinswomen we have lost by Moringotto’s evil scheming. The Noldor have lost three Kings to Moringotto. The fourth one we shan’t give to him – this must stop! The first Men and many of our kin, the Avari have been enslaved and disgraced by Moringotto’s servants – this must stop! Those of Doriath and Nargothrond have long suffered from his dark thoughts and malice – this must as well stop! Even the Casari have felt his wrath in their halls and caves and forges. Even they hate him and curse his name. We are all friends and allies in this one cause – all the people of Beleriand. We must stop Moringotto while we can! And I believe we can. All the force we have in these lands – all the weapons joined, all hands raised against the same Enemy, all voices crying death to the Black Foe and his servants... it has to be enough. My heart is weary not only for our own days to come, but for all the world we live in. We cannot let this Evil grow any further. We must stop the course of his plans – if we do not, no one shall.”

“This is all well, my lord brother,” Carnistir sighed, “but you cannot be fool enough to think Thingol or Orodreth would ever help us. And without them, we’re doomed to failure.”

“That may not be the case,” said Nelyafinwë with a wild smile. “Whatever happens, I want you all to remember who we are, who we once were. We are noble lords of a noble people and I shan’t let dark deeds of long ago doom our hearts.”

“The doom lies within us,” Makalaurë said. “We cannot escape it, Nelyo.”

“We shan’t escape it,” Nelyafinwë answered him. “We shall smite it.”

He towered above them all; tall, stern, and kingly. Curufinwë felt a sudden a wave of pride, devotion and enthusiasm wash over him as he looked upon their eldest.

This is the big brother we’ve greatly missed. This is Nelyafinwë, son of Fëanáro, Lord of the Ñoldor and Warden of the East; the Enemy of the Enemy.

“What would you have us do, then?” Makalaurë asked.

“I want you to be my first and most loyal allies,” Nelyafinwë said. “And you too, Tyelkormo and Curufinwë; for our fates are all bound within our Oath. Never fail me, my brothers. Never fail our sire’s and grandsire’s name and their memory. Cast away all kind of strife and hatred you have; divided, we shall never defeat our Enemy. I need your composure and clairvoyance, Kano; your wits and ardour, Tyelko; your fairness and prowess, Moryo; your cunningness and crafty hands, Curvo; your clear sight and loyalty, Pityo; and your frankness, yet kindliness, Telvo. I need all these.”

“You shall have them,” Tyelkormo sighed, “but now – heed my warning, for ‘tis not something that happens every day – I agree with Moryo. It seems impossible to me that Thingol and Orodreth would ever come to our aid.”

“I do not blame you for not being able to trust them,” Nelyafinwë answered him softly. “Yet if you cannot, trust me, brother. Trust my plans and decisions.”

For a few moments, they all were utterly, gravely silent.

“And now,” Nelyafinwë said, “after all that has been said, do I have your support against Moringotto and his scheming? Shall you help me gather allies, chase Orcs and keep secrets? Shall you all stand by my side?”

“We shall,” Curufinwë heard himself saying as he stood, and pulled his sword from its scabbard. The blade glittered warmly in the torchlight. “The wrath of the Sons of Fëanáro arises in might, and it is ready to chase Moringotto to the end of this world.”

And the Seven Sons all stood, and the edges of their swords clashed against each other as they promised to stand side by side, for now and always, and face together whatever may come; and thus the Oath of Fëanáro had been awakened, but the flame of its fury was no longer fed by hatred.

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

The Regent Lord of Himring found the departing one in the fifth hour of the day.

“Nelyo,” came Carnistir’s ragged whisper through the gap of the stable’s door, “I’ve searched the whole castle for you. I don’t want to bother you with this, but…”

The Warden of the East stayed still as he was, his face half-buried in the welcoming warmth of his favourite destrier’s mane.

“…but?”

There was a sharp intake of breath. “Are the provision counts ready, or should I prepare to hang myself?”

Maedhros could not stifle a short laugh. “I have finished them,” he said. “Three copies. It was the biggest battle I’ve fought since the Flames.”

“Right?” His brother took a few hesitant steps towards him. “Nelyo… listen. I’m really honoured by your trust, and thank you, but I still have very serious doubts about sending Kano off to battle with the Easterlings.”

“It is a question of honour for him,” said Maedhros. “And if I must leave someone other than Counsellor Tyelco in my seat, I’d rather it be you than Kano – especially with Tyelko and Curvo this close to the fire. Keep an eye on them, Moryo, but let them help you, if they are willing. And be stern.”

“Stern,” Carnistir nodded. “And then, there are the twins.”

“The council meeting took place three days ago, and we have come to an agreement,” Maedhros’s voice was sharper than intended.

“I know,” Carnistir let out a shuddering breath, and Maedhros suddenly saw a change upon his face; as if he’d suddenly pulled on the same death-mask he wore as Warden of the East. “My heart is full of doubts, but I shan’t give in to them. Come back soon, and you shall find everything in order. I will not disappoint you.”

Maedhros felt his own lordly mask crack open upon his face; and he smiled from his very heart.

“I know,” he said lightly, and kissed his Regent on the forehead.

Yet then again, he lied; he knew nothing.

He could only hope.


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

The Casari [quenya] is a name for ‘Dwarves’ and the Atani [quenya] for Men.

A Dead End Awaits

Tyelcano's dreams come true.

Read A Dead End Awaits

XXII. A Dead End Awaits

He was wearing his formal robes, and he was wounded. Upon his hauberk yawned three gaping holes: two on the right, one on the left, exposing the cloth above his rapidly beating heart.

Such a fault could bring death.

Vaguely, he remembered being shot, and dragged along the remnants of a river-bank, long dried. He offered no more protestations than a sack of corns, or a deer carcass would have; and that was making him angry – as much as he could tell, at least. This was a dream, after all, and emotions, impressions or convictions in dreams were unstable, ephemeral. They came and went, they materialised with the speed of thought, only to disappear a heartbeat later.

One boot was missing from his feet, he realised with a sudden pang of anger. This new emotion was sharp, and it cleared his mind like a breeze of fresh air. Here and there, his bare foot grazed along big, rounded stones among the messy undergrowth, as if his captors were following some long-forsaken path.

Blood was drippling down his chin, scarcely but steadily: red tears of helplessness. It was probably coming from his nose, but he felt no pain. All he felt was numbness, and the disturbing weight of air on his heaving chest.

His head was pounding.

He was losing too much blood.

He screamed a name, any and every name that came to his mind, pleading for help and salvation; yet no answer came. He grabbed the hilt of a weapon in his belt; its length was unfamiliar. He could not remember owning a dagger like that.

…yes… yes, he could, after all, now that he thought of it. It was the dagger Curufinwë gave him; bright and sharp and defiantly beautiful. Deadly.

Crows were gathering around him, watching him with hungry eyes, waiting for his last breath so they could have their feast. Their screams were raspy, and they chilled him to the bone.

Steps were coming, closing in, and he knew it would soon be over. All over.

And the Voice would call…

Yet this time, it did not; and he woke with a low cry, drenched in sweat.

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

Dimbar, North-West of the Brithiach, FA 467, the last day of Lótessë

“Not much vegetation,” Counsellor Tyelcano muttered, and made a few notes on shattered parchment. “Dim, foggy even with the Gates of Summer approaching, and even greyer than it used to be. Nothing to eat, save perhaps the frogs.”

He made a new mark with his thin carbon-stick, and shifted the parchment a little, looking for possible mistakes. The northern half of Beleriand was traced out splendidly before his eyes, all even and precise, all measured out in a one to five miles-scale: mountain-lines, hills, plains, rivers, routes fortresses... still, something was amiss. Tyelcano had carefully counted every single mile between the Himring and Tol Sirion, where he was supposed to meet the High King, but either there was an error in his calculations – and the Counsellor, despite his general humble manners, excluded that possibility –, or there was a large uncharted area between the dreadful Nan Dungortheb and the northern riverlands.

“Senge!” Tyelcano called, and when the target of his attention turned around, bowed, and asked how could he be of assistance, he made a brief inviting gesture towards the rock he was leaning on while he worked.

“Come, my friend,” he said, “and tell me everything you know of those mountains over there.”

Senge, who had spent years as a messenger of Lord Maedhros before he joined the scouts, sat down beside the Counsellor, and stared at the half-ready map for a few moments before answering.

“Those are the peaks of the Crissaegrim, m’lord. It is said that King Thorondor’s folk live among the mountains, and their vigilance guards or restrains those who travel along the Sirion. But the Orcs are becoming numerous in these lands, and the Eagles show themselves less and less. I have never journeyed through those mountains, and nor had anyone else I know; the roads are narrow and dangerous, and the passes are covered in snow even at Midsummer.”

Tyelcano stared at the massive walls of icy rock in the distance, miles above the whole world, graceful, invincible.

“Yes, well, and what is past those mountains?”

“More mountains, m’lord,” Senge said readily. “Walls of ice, snow and impenetrable rock. Lands of eternal winter, as I have heard. No Elf had ever set foot there; no one but the Eagles know a way across the Fangs, for so they are called in the kingdom of Hithlum. Past the mountains, there are the once safe and fertile lands of Dorthonion. And north of that – you need not draw anything on the map you’re making for our Lord Warden.”

“It shall not be necessary, either way,” said Tyelcano elegantly. “I have made a mile-count around Angamando in our days of peace; it is a pity, though, that we do not know what is past its gates. Or if those mountains end anywhere. Or if there are any passes, valleys, hills and rivers past that.”

“Why the insatiable hunger for knowledge, lord?” Asked the scout with a little smile. It was the same sort of smile Tyelcano oft received when he finished a particularly long and dry report, or went through the provision counts within two hours.

“Knowledge is the whetstone of wit,” he said. “Provided that one’s mind has any edge that could be sharpened.”

“As you say, m’lord.” Senge nodded his accord, and not a muscle moved in his face as he went about his business.

~ § ~

Days came and went without any notable incident, and Tyelcano barely counted them. He kept his pragmatic mind on the indispensable: eating, drinking, riding, taking first watch, trying to sleep. Occasionally, he forced himself to have short rests up in the saddle, for peaceful slumber eluded him ever since he’d left the Himring. He saw the same dream every night now: a dream of wounds, capture, crows, cold and empty wastelands; always fresh, always vivid, always painful, grim, and shockingly believable. The vision seemed to lurk endlessly in the back of his mind, assaulting him as soon as his eyes gazed over, then vanishing when he opened them again, like the warning of a ghastly hand that dissolves in the morning sun.

My dreams are trying to tell me something, Tyelcano decided, again and again, and every time his iron will pressed against that unuttered truth. He could have sooner broken his own knees than turn back. He was a servant on a mission, the bearer of weighty news, the keeper of unpleasant secrets that had to be passed from one lordly ear to another with the swiftness of an arrow.

A poisoned arrow, Tyelcano kept telling himself, but that thought was to be shaken off as well. The orders of Lord Maedhros had been precise and explicit; and several millenia of service have taught him to give counsel whenever asked, and follow orders whenever denied.

Relentlessly, he pressed on, taking the lead, giving first watch, riding out to hunt, sending out scouts from their humble company of ten, working on his maps and notes and entries on his insufferable visions.

Time seemed to crawl along with the speed of a snail; and the road went ever on.

~ § ~

On the fifth day of Nárië, the wind turned, and brought the promise of rain. The mist-laden air hung heavily in the deep valleys where their road ribboned, and there was a soft bristle in the endless sea of grass that reached up their horses’ knees. The Sun hid its golden face behind veils of wreathing mist; nothing moved within eyesight, and the only thing that changed since yestereve was the pattern of clouds.

Cold fingers of morning breeze crept under Tyelcano’s collar as he gently nudged his stallion to the edge of a small cliff to have a look.

“Anything new, Lord Counsellor?” Called young Antalossë.

“The grass-blades have moved some twenty degrees North,” said Tyelcano. “And the skies are three shades darker.”

“You’d think that he was joking…” Came the demure voice of Senge from behind.

“I might as well have.” Tyelcano raised an eyebrow. “I’m a funny old Elf, especially when sparring. Would you care to try?”

“I’ve grown somewhat too fond of my four limbs, m’lord…” Senge said with a grin, “but I always like a challenge!”

“Then grab that toothpick of yours, and charge!”

It was all a façade, Tyelcano knew; the playful mockery they entertained each other with. He and Senge were frequent companions ever since the Flames, when the scout had killed forty Orcs in a single, heated assault to open the gates before Lord Maglor’s fleeing soldiers. Then, he even found in himself the audacious heroism to tousle the lord out of the raging battle and into the Himring’s welcoming cool – a deed just as remarkable.

Senge had always preferred a lance over all weapons. That made him a dangerous, and more than a little unpredictable sparring partner.

The two Elves retreated a few steps from the scalloped edge of the cliff, to more solid settling. Dust whirled under Tyelcano’s feet as he prowled around, searching for higher ground, and found none.

“Are you certain you want to run into my toothpick with a single dagger, m’lord?” Senge asked jokingly.

“Oh, I am.” Tyelcano took three short steps, span around, flexed and unflexed the muscles in his legs, then slowly turned back, regaining balance. “This is just what I needed.”

Focus. Curufinwë’s gift slid out of its scabbard and into his welcoming palm, smoothly, flawlessly. Steel merged with flesh as he moved, and the dagger was part of him now, a graceful extension of his own arm. Movements came neatly, naturally, as if he was merely waving his hand around.

Wait. The lance answered the call with a fluid swoosh, and Tyelcano half-saw half-felt Antalossë turning away from the empty view of the wastelands to watch them, beaming with excitement. Capable for certain; but he was still half a child…

Charge!

Steel rang on steel, and Tyelcano was finally at peace. In combat, there was nothing but balance and speed and focus: deep and endless focus in the centre of it all; some hidden power within his very core that slept through his daily ordeals, rising only when he was faced with the immediate danger of an assault. For a few precious minutes, everything was forgotten: his mission, his hopes, his fears, his dreams: some proud, fierce need to disarm his opponent filled his entire being. Gracefully, he danced, closer and closer to Senge, sliding in and out of the spear’s reach, sometimes madly close, sometimes ridiculously far; ever-changing, ever-moving like the clouds, the Moon, and the very shapes in the tapestries of Vairë. And for a fleeting moment, everything was perfect.

Then came the intruder.

At first, it was only a blurred black patch near the edge of his vision, and his eyes followed the soft gleam of the spearhead instead. Later, the black patch continued to grow, and later still, it materialised into a large carrion crow. The bird landed sloppily upon a rock, right above his left ear, and watched him, just watched him with eyes of shiny coal.

It’s just a crow, Tyelcano reminded himself, as he almost missed a blow. The commonest bird you can imagine. It has nothing to do with you. Focus!

Then the crow began to caw, as crows do, although its voice was somewhat shriller than usual.

Caw.

Tyelcano missed a beat, and only his barest instinct saved him as the spearhead rushed past his right shoulder.

Caw.

Now he was outright late, his rash counter-strike a means of flight rather than an attack.

Caw.

Senge was charging at him with a fearsome grin, shouting something like “You’re slow, Counsellor!”, and his own backslash was clumsy and wrath-driven.

Caw.

“Begone!” Tyelcano bellowed. With an agile spin, he was out of spear-range once again, and he charged, with all his wrath, onto the creature. He half-hoped, half-wished that the bird would be fast enough to escape him…

The crow let out a last, irrevocable caw. Its scream was raspy, and it chilled him to the bone…

…and then it charged as well, right at him, aiming for the eye.

It all happened within a heartbeat. Tyelcano gave a cry of dismay and ducked, shielding his face with his arms, momentarily forgetting how his dagger could have pierced through the creature from beak to tail; the crow disappeared in the valley below them with a last, mischievous caw; and Senge slammed into the Counsellor’s crouched figure with his entire weight, still delirious with the verve of fighting.

Before Tyelcano could move, or cry out, or take a breath, he was flying off the cliff.

There was a terrible, sickening crack, and the world went dark.

~ § ~

He heard a faint voice at the frontier of his muffled perception.

“Do you think… I mean, he is alive, is he not?”

“Of course he is, you sack of dragon dung. He’s breathing…”

“When do you think he will wake?”

“I don’t know, Lossë. Would you care to be less of a nuisance and look for the General?”

“And what do I tell him? Good day, Lord Gildor! Oh yes, everything is fine, there is a bad storm coming and Senge just killed our Lord Counsellor…”

“I told you – he’s breathing!”

“I’m not that easy to kill, young one…” Tyelcano forced himself to speak, although his voice rang far weaker than intended.

“Counsellor!” Senge’s troubled face came into his view. “How are you feeling?”

 “Like a sack of dragon dung,” Tyelcano declared after a moment’s consideration. “What happened?”

“I ran into you. I could not stop; and then you fell off the cliff. Sadly, there was a sharp rock underneath, and… Thankfully, the cliff wasn’t very steep, but everything happened so rapidly…” Senge shook his head. “Well, m’lord, the gist of the situation is the following: you broke your right leg. It is… very ugly. Not the sort of injury you’re supposed to journey with.”

The pain itself materialized while Senge uttered these words, and it was unlike everything Tyelcano had ever experienced. He’d been hit by a Balrog’s whip before, he’d been strangled by an unnamed monster near a silent lake back in the Mountains of Mist, he’d been slammed into a wall by Moringotto’s black hands, he’d wrestled with wolves, he’d been burned by fire, cut with all sorts of blades, pierced through with arrows and he’d even broken bones before… but not like this. Never like this. He’d never experienced anything even close to this sheer, horrendous, stomach-turning agony. It felt as if Fëanáro was testing the solidity of a new hammer-set on his shin. And it smelled like blood… it was also wet and warm and so terribly, terribly exposed… a broken bone wasn’t supposed to feel quite like this…

With an enormous effort, Tyelcano propped up his body up on his elbows, and looked at his legs. He barely even felt how the movement pulled his muscles into an agonized knot; at first, he was too preoccupied with trying not to faint upon the sight itself.

“Manwë…”

It was an open fault – so wide open that almost the entire width of his calf-bone was visible. His trouser leg had been cut away above his knee, exposing the entire fissure. It went as far as five, six, seven inches down on his leg. The pale white bone emerged as an island of solitary pain from the raging bloody mess of the wound below.

Tyelcano shut his eyes, nails digging into the ground as he fought nausea, then vertigo, then the hysteria of pain.

Focus.

“Blast it!” He cursed, swiping the moist from his forehead with a trembling fist. “We don’t have time for this! We’re on a mission!”

“We are delayed.” Senge’s hand was warm upon his back. “We’ll manage, if you sit still and let me tend to your leg.” After a few moments’ hesitation, he added, “It might hurt.”

~ § ~

The three servants of Himring waited side by side for the next few hours, Tyelcano with his back against the cliff, Senge kneeling in silent vigil beside him and Antalossë pacing back and forth around their makeshift camp: three pairs of gleaming eyes scouring about the silent mountain-ranges. And yet there was still no sign of their companions returning.

“They left before sunrise,” muttered Antalossë. Only the wuthering wind answered him, and a couple of strain water-drops upon their doublets. Tyelcano could not tell if they were the first tears of rain or the last ounces of dew from dawn that got picked up.

“It is past noon,” the young scout went on, quite anxiously.

“…and in a few hours, Anor shall go to sleep and give way to the falling night,” Senge snapped. “Here’s your third piece of unnecessary information.”

“Enough!” Tyelcano raised his hand, and winced with pain. “Something is moving in that far valley.” He waved Antalossë to the front. “What do you see, young one?”

“…crows,” said the scout; yet as he uttered the word, Tyelcano could see them clearly, too; and a giant flock of them. They emerged from the valley in a cacophony of ragged screams, only to plunge back down at the next convenient cliff, and settle at its edges, as if following some twisted dance-card.

“They won’t stop screaming,” said Senge uneasily. “They are waiting for some battle to end, so they could have their feast.”

“Not today,” said Tyelcano against his better judgement.

Slowly, he raised his head to the view of Dimbar below his feet: to the graceful line of mountains, with the Crissaegrim to the East and the meandering grey ribbon of Sirion to the West. Silently he stood, as if trying to carve that landscape into his soul.

The wind was rising again, lashing up new waves in the silken sea of mountain grass below – and their companions’ horses emerged from the valley, one by one, in great haste, led by Gildor of Tol Sirion, trusted servant and preferred envoy of the High King.

“Counsellor,” he said. “The results of today’s scouting are somewhat less boring than usual, although more than a little inconvenient. We have come across an Orc band in the wastelands. They have wolves with them, and they must have followed our trail for the last few hours. How in Arda could they pick it up, I cannot fathom…”

When Tyelcano made no answer, Gildor shifted impatiently in the saddle, long fingers drumming on the hilt of his sword.

“Counsellor, with respect, we need to make haste, and find shelter. There are too many of them. I despise the thought of fleeing, but we are envoys. We cannot afford to lose lives.”

“That is very true, my friend,” said Tyelcano blankly. “However, I am afraid I’m not going anywhere in the near future.”

Gildor’s tactical eye shifted to Senge’s kneeling figure, then Tyelcano’s leg, then the restlessly pacing Antalossë.

“What in Moringotto’s seven accursed hells happened here?!” He exclaimed.

“I have made the last mistake of my life, as it seems,” said Tyelcano. “At least I made it spectacular.”

“I think we would all prefer a spectacular solution, m’lord!” Senge snapped. “Work your wondrous mind!”

Tyelcano did just that, arranging and rearranging the pawns on an imaginary chessboard, only to realise that there was nothing he could do. The icy, numbing sensation of helplessness spread across his chest, and he suddenly found it difficult to breathe.

“How many of them?” He heard himself asking.

“Five-and-fifty Orcs and some twenty wolves that we saw. There might be more lurking in the shade.”

Five-and-fifty.

Tyelcano took three calming breaths, battling the searing, mind-boggling pain that radiated from his broken leg.

“Blast it,” Senge cursed. “Counsellor, we should get you on a horse. Right now.”

“You tended to my leg yourself,” said Tyelcano. “You know there is no way on Arda I could hold myself in a saddle right now.”

“You must do it!”

“Senge,” the name, though gently spoken, was a warning. “I can barely move. I would be an illuminated target bouncing before the wolves’ eyes, then I would fall, and lucky as I am today, I’d break my other leg, too. I would only slow you down.”

There. I said it.

He saw the thought materialising in Senge’s eyes; at first, the scout’s face screamed denial, then anger, then pain, then cold, ruthless resolution.

“No,” he said. “No-no-no. Don’t even think about it.”

“The message should be carried to the High King. You cannot afford to tarry.”

“Yes, lordship, and in case you’d forgotten, you are the one carrying that message!”

“I could tell you,” said Tyelcano.

No, Lord Maedhros’s voice emerged from the depths of his memories, you could not. No one else can know.

He hung his head, fighting a new wave of pain. All of this felt utterly, terribly wrong.

The King should hear the message, he thought. He must!

I must go!

He folded his left leg softly under himself, then made the slightest, barest motion with the right – and fell right back against the cliff, all but howling in agony.

Antalossë caught his arm, helped him up. Tyelcano shut his eyes, gritted his teeth, and stood – then fell right back, fresh blood gushing from his wound.

“No,” he whimpered. “I can’t. I can’t. I am so sorry.”

You’re stupid, reckless, and irresponsible, he thought. And it is going to cost your life. You, Counsellor of Kings, are going to die out of foolhardiness.

“All right,” said Gildor, and drew his sword. “If we cannot go, then we shall fight.”

Tyelcano was almost moved to tears as his nine companions began dismounting their horses and herding them together in the shelter of the cliff.

“Broken leg or not, I believe I am still in charge here.” His voice was suddenly clear and full of authority.

“We’re not leaving you, Counsellor,” said Antalossë. “We’re a team.”

“Our mission is not to save my life but to deliver a message! And that message, to quote Lord Maedhros himself, is not worth ten lives!”

Well, that is not exactly what he said, was it, said a mocking voice inside his head.

“And your life, Counsellor, is worth another hundred,” Senge said, very sincerely. “And I am quoting the lord as well.”

“I was unaware he ever said that,” Tyelcano admitted.

Senge knelt beside him again. He was so close that the tip of his nose almost touched his forehead.

“The lord needs you. You know that. He would never pardon us if we came back without you… neither would I ever pardon myself, for that matter.”

“All right.” Tyelcano closed his eyes. “All right,” he repeated, his voice harder than steel, “then we are going to fight, but not without a plan.”

“Your plan being…?” Gildor raised his brows.

“You shall ride ahead with young Antalossë here, and another soldier of your choice, and find shelter for tonight,” said Tyelcano. “Let us face them and be done with it! These Orcs will most likely follow us along our route. We should be prepared to fight them more than once.”

Gildor’s searching gaze met his, and Tyelcano knew that the other heard and understood the unspoken part of the sentence.

“Yes, lord,” the General said, and made a curt bow. “If next time, you’ll allow me to fight by your side.”

“I shall.”

That said, Gildor was already mounting. Young Antalossë took a half-hearted step towards his steed, then turned around when he heard Tyelcano’s call.

“Must I leave you, Counsellor?” he said with visible discomposure.

“Will you defy my order while I have your lord’s seal ring upon my finger?”

“N-no,” the youth stammered, “I did not mean…”

“Good. Then come closer. There is something you need to hear.”

No one can know, the ghost of Maedhros’s voice protested, but Tyelcano steeled himself against it. It was the right thing to do – without revealing too much, of course.

“If anything happens to me,” he breathed into the other’s ear, softer than the lightest breeze, “tell the High King that his warning has been heeded. And… the dreams. Lord Nelyo is seeing them as well. The very same dreams. This is important. They must talk, His Highness and our lord. Soon. Tell him that.”

“I will,” Antalossë whispered, amazed.

“Good. Then take this.” Tyelcano pulled the large ring off his finger and buried it into the warmth of the youth’s palm. “It should be given to the High King when you see him, as a token of the message’s discrete nature. If you have this ring with you, no other than His Highness himself has the authority to ask you about your mission.”

“I understand, Counsellor…” Antalossë looked at him warily. “But you shall be the one delivering the message.”

“Of course.” Tyelcano graced him with a faint smile. “This is only a measure of security.”

~ § ~

General Gildor choose a stern, tacit youth from among the High King’s envoys as his second companion; he was known by the name Lindír, and even if he was not pleased with the prospect of leaving the others behind, he gave no sign of it. Soon, there was no more reminder of the chosen trio’s presence than the traces of their horses’ hooves in the gathering dust.

Somewhere in the valley, a wolf howled.

“So it begins,” Senge sighed, and finished sharpening the head of his spear.

“Let us hope for a swift ending,” an Elf called Vorondo answered him readily from Tyelcano’s other side.

The High King’s three envoys were waiting in one stern line in front of them, with the sole exception of Ohtar of Himring standing in the middle with his arms crossed, longbow hanging from his shoulders.

Soon, they could all hear the clutter of makeshift armour and the fierce cries, the bawdy farrago of approaching Orcs. No one moved; his companions stood vigil around him, and Tyelcano knew they would all sacrifice their lives without a second thought to save his.

Suddenly, he understood Lord Maedhros’s sometimes die-hard efforts to spare his soldiers’ lives.

“I will never forget what you did for me today, my friends,” he said softly.

“It is only our duty,” Vorondo answered him, but his fierce tone suggested that the task was carried out quite willingly. “And we shall do more before this day ends.”

~ § ~

The pounding in Tyelcano’s leg was getting worse, and it soon extended to his whole body.

The first moments of the battle had immediately crystallized in his mind, frozen to boundless eternity; the way the reeking Orc-heads popped up from the cleft of the valley, the way they rattled and howled and chattered in laughter when they saw his injury, and that his companions were ready to protect him. Seven Elves they had seen in the wastelands and seven Elves they had found upon seeking; and they would not ask them any questions, nor did they seem to suspect that there were more hidden in the colourless landscape. Tyelcano hoped with fervency that Gildor had sought shelter high up in the hills.

The Orcs charged at them, then the wolves as well, but the cliff-wall was belled out, and it sheltered them from their assaults for a time. There was a colourful, raging jungle of blood and gore and screams and shouts and swearwords; then Ohtar’s dead body slammed into Tyelcano’s wounded leg with its full weight.

He fainted, battling the pain with utmost effort, but without any result at all.

When he regained consciousness, he was horrified to see no more than Senge and Vorondo defending him from a scarcer company of Orcs. Heaps of dead bodies lay everywhere, and the smell of death and decay was so strong his stomach protested.

I must fight, he willed himself into moving. It is all my fault.

I have a message to deliver!

Fury tripled his strength as he propped himself up on one elbow, then a shaking knee. With one swift push, he liberated his broken leg from Ohtar’s pressing weight, choked out a bunch of Valarin swearwords he did not even know he remembered, and pulled his dagger. He would fight – sitting, if he had to.

An arrow pierced through his right side in a flash of searing pain, and he wavered. The next shot came at once, and he wasn’t swift enough to lean out of range. This time, the pain was almost familiar.

Dim-witted brutes, he thought. You should aim for the heart if you want to kill.

The third arrow did just that; but it missed target as Vorondo yanked the Counsellor back under the cliff’s half-shelter.

“What in Manwë’s holy name are you doing?! Stay down!”

“I wanted to…”

“Stay – down!”

Vorondo’s breath caught in his throat with an audible hiss, and his face contorted for a moment. Tyelcano’s eyes widened as he felt a stream of blood cover his chest.

“Voro… you have been shot.”

Vorondo struggled to his knees, a haze of pain covering his eyes.

“You have always been… very perceptive.”

“Voro…” Tyelcano felt a lump in his throat, but he steeled his voice. “Senge, find that son of a shadow that’s shooting arrows here!”

“No need,” Vorondo growled, and forced himself back to his feet, the black-feathered arrow poking halfway out of his back. “I shall find them myself.”

With that, he was gone again; and Tyelcano had to fight a new wave of nausea as he looked down his chest, and the last image that reached his darkening vision.

Upon his hauberk yawned three gaping holes: two on the right, one on the left, exposing the cloth above his rapidly beating heart.

~ § ~

When he woke again, he was dragged, roughly, along the remnants of a river-bank, long dried. One boot was missing from his feet; here and there, his bare foot grazed along big, rounded stones among the messy undergrowth, as if his captors were following some long-forsaken path.

Or was it a lone captor?

…was it a captor, at all?

Blood was drippling down his chin, scarcely but steadily: red tears of helplessness. It was probably coming from his nose, but he felt no pain. All he felt was numbness, and the disturbing weight of air on his heaving chest.

His head was pounding.

He was losing too much blood.

“Voro…” he whispered, weakly.

“Dead,” said Senge’s voice from above. “Much like everyone else. I don’t know about the hiding three… Some Orcs escaped, and wolves as well, I fear. They will probably come back after nightfall. I’m hiding you, m’lord, so the others could go on. Lossë would never agree to leaving us behind in such a state… but as it happens, you are a beacon for our enemies, and so am I.”

“You did well,” Tyelcano forced the air out of his lungs. “Senge… forgive me.”

“Nonsense,” the younger Elf declared. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“Yes, it was. I got carried away. I lost my balance… because of that blasted crow… do you know that I despise crows?”

“So much?” There was a waver of gallows humour in Senge’s voice.

“So much. I’ve had dreams about them… for a while. And I think they are becoming true now. I have dreamed about being here. Every instant…”

“Well…” Senge furrowed his brows and looked around. “In that case, we should probably follow your dreams, m’lord. What happens now?”

“You’re dragging me,” Tyelcano said. “Along and along and along. Very far. And… there would be crows. All around. Watching me.”

“Your dreams have deceived you, Counsellor.” Senge turned to face him, and Tyelcano could have wept at the sight of his rueful smile. “We shall not make it very far.”

Tyelcano heard a wolf’s call in the distance, shrill and demanding. More voices answered the call, from closer, much closer.

“Senge,” he tried, “I’m heavily bleeding.”

“A perceptive lord. But Voro has told you that before.”

“I’m attracting them. You should…”

“No,” came the answer from between gritted teeth. “And if you won’t stop saying that, m’lord, I will punch your bad leg so hard that you won’t wake for days.”

“Then drag me a little faster, will you not? I despise the thought of you dying on me.”

“I’m trying,” the scout growled, steeling himself against the sudden swaying of his steps.

“Senge…? What’s wrong?”

“Blood loss,” came the answer, somewhat too quickly. “It matters not. Watch out for the wolves.”

“If you insist,” said Tyelcano, and they spoke no more for what seemed like a lifetime. The howls sounded closer and closer; it was too easy to imagine a great circle of wolves as it narrowed and narrowed around them, in all directions of the compass.

Then came the crows, as he knew they would, watching him with hungry eyes, waiting for his last breath so they could have their feast.

And then, the very earth began to weep.

“They are upon us,” Tyelcano said what his companion already knew; but Senge picked up some speed with his last strength, dragging him into the looming shade of a close-by cliff. They have been following the banks of the dried river all along, and the shallow ravine had led them to a wall of rock that stood flawless, smooth, and impenetrable.

“All this fatigue, and a dead end awaits,” Senge murmured. “Wonderful.”

“There is a passage,” Tyelcano pointed at a blurred black patch at the edge of his vision. Senge charged at the entrance – if that was indeed an entrance -, and Tyelcano’s bad leg was dragged over a ledge of rock. He could have wept, but he swallowed his cries of pain and let go of his conscience.

He must have immediately slipped back to one of his dreams, for it seemed to him that they arrived in a tight channel of chiselled walls; and he thought he saw a giant gate at the end. It stood under an austere arc boarded by pillars, with a wooden portcullis of bright torches and many squinting windows on top of it.

And before deep, uneasy swoon could claim him entirely, Tyelcano also thought he heard the call of a rigorous voice,

“Stand! Stir not! Or you will die, be you foes or friends.* The Gates are closed.”


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

* Elemmakil’s words are quoted from ‘Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin’.

Name meanings:

Senge [Quenya]: adj.: keen of sight, observant, sagacious

Vorondo [Quenya]: comes from ‘Voronda’ ~ adjective. steadfast in allegiance, in keeping oath or promise, faithful, steadfast in allegiance/in keeping oath or promise / very similar to Voronwë’s name meaning, ‘faithfulness / steadfastness’ /.

Ohtar [Quenya]: means ‘war’, with a masculine ending; could be translated as simply ‘warrior’.

On Gildor and Lindír: I have my reasons to feature the (almost) entire collection of Rivendell Elves in such an early era:)

Law Is Law

Antalosse mourns his friends, and Counsellor Tyelcano gets acquanted with his new, rather luxurious prison cell.

Read Law Is Law

Dragged. He had been dragged through some moist, hollow tunnel; his shoulders had repeatedly grazed along coarse walls, and there was blood, and anger, and itching pain.

Captured. He had been captured, then carried along long-forsaken paths like a sack of corns, to use Lord Nelyo’s favourite figure of speech. What a disgrace to die like this, he remembered thinking, to be put out like some smouldering little flame, drowned in the ashes of its own ambition!

Senge had been there, too; and there had been whispering, then arguing, then shouting, and spectacular swearwords and a scandalised “do you have any idea who this Elf is…?!”. Then other words were spoken, hushed and urgent; and later, a hot, burning liquid washed down Tyelcano’s throat, and he saw no more.

Such a vivid dream. However, if he were to believe his visions, he was now held in captivity; which raised the question why would he, a prisoner, be tucked safely and diligently under the finest feather bedding he had ever felt against his skin.

Counsellor Tyelcano opened his eyes, propped himself up on elbows and glanced around. Thick, heavy curtains of velvet encircled him as he lay; delicate patterns danced across them, flickering playfully in the half-light. (Were they stars…? or shells… or tiny eagles…?)

As he looked further, Tyelcano also understood that the curtains were not attached to the frames of his bed but were hung from a wide round-arch that shielded him from three sides. The entrance of the berth was bevelled, so as to shield its occupant from curious eyes; and the round-arc itself was a masterpiece, laced with thin leaf-patterns and stills of a depicted hunt.

Somewhere at the edge of his vision, faint, silvery hues of light filtered through giant windows of painted glass, and the giant canopy bed engulfed his shattered body like an ocean of silken pillows. And the pain, that terrible pain from his dreams had vanished.

There was no pain, no death, and no fear. There was only peace, and solace, and that gentle silver-light, so very different of Anor’s intrusive burning…

…could it be…?

Staring at the ceiling, Tyelcano took a deep breath and let it out slowly, gently, relishing in the privilege of aghast relief.

Yes. There was only one way to explain this –

A dream.

A terrible-terrible dream without beginning or end. Everything – the death of Finwë, the Oath, the Doom, the Flight, the ships, the battle under unforgiving stars, Fëanáro’s demise…

Nelyo

He, Tyelcano son of Ettelë, Counsellor of kings and mentor of princes was back in Aman now: in magnificent Tirion itself, where he belonged. That was the only possible, feasible explication. It had to be true. The beauty, the luxury, the comfort, the peace, the silence that surrounded him – it was non-existent in Endórë, and impossible, and entirely alien.

Valar, how his head was swaying, and pulsating with foggy pain…!

~ § ~

As time passed, and hunger settled in his stomach, Tyelcano’s senses sharpened as well, and other details caught his attention.

There were two openings within the soothing circle of curtains: one on the front and one on his left. The former adjoined a dimly lit hallway with cushion-loaded armchairs that bathed in the gleam of the polished marble floor, while the latter revealed a table loaded with twenty-some different vials of medicinal potions and fifteen further boxes of dried herbs.

Tyelcano kept glancing at them, then away, then back again, puzzled, and unsure. He doubted if such a variety of medicine had ever existed in the Blessed Realm. A new feeling settled in his guts: that of unease, faint, yet shrill. He stared stubbornly at the ceiling for a time, battling his weary mind, then closed his eyes to think.

Those who dwelt in Aman knew no illness, no weariness, no sorrow, and no fear. The Lands of the Valar were not besmirched by Moringotto’s machineries. All taint of darkness Tyelcano carried with himself came from his own memories of Endórë, and the Great Journey; cold and distant like the Stars themselves.

They had ceased to haunt him a long time ago. Why would they return now? And why would he see all those horrible visions of the royal family? Their mere concept was ridiculous and highly improbable; yet they were so vivid, so detailed, so horribly believable… And there they lingered still, at the delicate frontier of memory and fiction within his mind. His fëa felt the truth in them while his logic persisted, pointing out the evident irrationalities of Fëanáro battling giant demons of fire, of Ñolofinwë fighting the Grinding Ice, of Ñelyafinwë being captured by the Enemy, of various, slightly hostile kingdoms forming in the wide, unoccupied lands over the Sea…

…and still…

At this point, there was a fracture in Tyelcano’s thoughts, and for once, he relished in the warm, welcoming fog that settled within his conscience. He was weary after all; and Manwë, how soothing it was to be released of the burden of his pain!

Pain.

With an uneasy turn of thought, Tyelcano looked down on himself, only to realise that his right leg was broken – badly – and it was hung from the canopy with straps of weaved linen. An alarmed look at his arms revealed dozens of tiny cuts and bruises, all cleaned, all tended to, all bandaged or sewn together wherever needed. And he was clean, entirely clean from head to toes. Someone had even bothered to stuff his pillows with fresh-smelling herbs.

All gentle phantasms of Tirion vanished immediately from his mind, giving way to uncertainty. Where in Moringotto’s seventh hell was he…? Has he been stuck within his own dreams…?

Then, with a slight creak, a nearby door opened beyond the curtains, and two shadows fell on the embroidered pattern of hunting dogs charging at a white stag.

“How is he?” asked a gentle, and alarmingly familiar voice.

“The lord is the lucky one of the pair, Highness,” said another. “The infection affects him no longer. I have stayed with him through the night. His breathing is even, and he feels no pain; yet weeks may pass before he walks again, and not solely because of the fracture. Some of the draughts I had to use are heavy. Highness, with all due respect, is speaking with him truly that urgent…?”

“I shall not disturb him,” said the other voice. “I only wish to see him for a short while. As soon as he wakes up, however, you will tell me.”

“As you say, my King,” came the answer, and the invisible door closed with a soft thump.

Infection. Draughts. Fracture. King. Tyelcano shut his eyes, hardly even daring to breathe.

No dream, then. So that was where this strange feeling of peace, and the wild swaying of his head came from!

Willow bark, most probably. And some light venom, too, with a purging side-effect; also, one of those potions that help raise my fever to get rid of hidden infections. Aye, that would explain everything… Manwë above, did those reckless children carry me all the way to Barad Eithel?!

Tyelcano decided he would have a word with Gildor and his scoundrels as soon as he was strong enough to distribute some heartfelt slaps. At this point in his thinking, however, a soft current of air caressed his face, the curtains fluttered aside on his left, and someone sat on his bedside.

“There we are,” murmured the familiar voice from earlier. “Your face has more colour than the last time I looked. Then again, you have always been a fighter, have you not, Counsellor?” A small chuckle. “I wonder what brings you this far from Himring.”

Within a heartbeat, face and voice clicked together in Tyelcano’s mind, terribly unlikely as their match was. He never reached Barad Eithel, either, that much was evident…

Questions assaulted his mind like an arrow-flight, yet all he managed to utter was a ragged whisper,

“Turukáno…!”

There was a sharp intake of breath.

“Nay,” Tyelcano murmured to himself, “impossible. You have vanished from the face of the earth. No one has heard from you for centuries.”

“Yet you have found me,” said the voice gently. “You have been carried past my Gates and accepted in my House. You are safe now.”

“Safe,” Tyelcano echoed, savouring the word. He gathered his strength and opened his eyes; and there he was, settled comfortably on his bedside: slender-faced, starry-eyed Turukáno, son of Ñolofinwë and brother to Findekáno. There he sat, exactly as how Tyelcano remembered him – long nose, thin lips, dark hair weaved into mazy patterns, brows knitted in deep thought, as if in eternal worry over some ineluctable doom. Yet he could not recall all the lines that furrowed the austere face, or the crown that graced the tall forehead, wrought of fibres of the cleanest silver, gemmed with diamonds, opals, and glowing sapphires. These details were new to him and mysteriously meaningful; and he took notice of them, one by one, and they stayed with him for a long time afterwards. He remained silent for long moments and watched that strange outer light paint its meandering shapes upon Turukáno’s face.

“It is good to see you, child, after so many dark and perilous years,” he said. “Although, if my eyes do not betray me, I should rather call you Highness now.”

Turukáno lifted the circlet from his brows, placed it neatly upon the nightstand, and smiled at him.

“Not to you; not when we are alone,” he said. Without the silvery gleam of the crown, his eyes seemed grave and hollow, like bottomless wells. “Now… I presume we both have questions to each other.”

There was something in his tone that made Tyelcano tense, and extremely aware of the fact that he was no longer speaking to the pouting little boy he used to ride on his knees, as he had done with most of the House of Finwë. All he did, however, was mirror the smile, and rearrange his limbs into a more comfortable position.

“The first thing I have for you is an expression of my thanks,” he said. “Your people saved me from death, or worse. But I was not alone: what happened to my companion, Senge? Is he safe as well?”

Turukáno closed his eyes for a moment. “I am sorry, my friend… he answered the Call of Mandos this morning. My healers tell me that he died of a poisoned wound that ran too deep in his stomach. I am afraid he carried you through my Gates with his last strength; for he would not let go of you, not even when my guards came to your rescue.”

“Wondrously stupid,” Tyelcano closed his eyes, bowed his head. “That is how I shall remember him.”

His voice was thick with sorrow and regret, yet his mind was clear; and he felt as if he had always known.

“Senge of Himring will rest in peace while this kingdom stands,” said Turukáno. “I will see to that.”

“There are others,” said Tyelcano. “Five other corpses. Somewhere out there. Three of Findekáno’s and two of our own. Friends. We could not… there was no time…”

“I understand.” Turukáno placed a comforting hand upon his shoulder. “Is there anyone else… anyone alive… perhaps following your tracks?”

Tyelcano shook his head. “No one followed. Those still alive – if alive – are headed west. To your brother. We were carrying a message.”

“I have guessed that much.” Turukáno eyed him with great interest. “But why you? Why would Nelyo send his most trusted advisor on a mission that an ordinary messenger could complete, if he had no other purpose with it?”

Tyelcano took a deep breath, hiding his sudden wariness beneath a well-rehearsed pretence of exhilaration.

“Lord Nelyo is sober and demure,” he said, and his voice swelled with rueful amusement, “until his wrath is flared. Or his suspicion. The message I am carrying is of strictly personal nature, and my Lord was reluctant to share it with anyone else than myself. It was either him or me to carry it West; and the day I lead my Lord beloved into unnecessary danger shall be the day when Moringotto hands us the Holy Jewels on a diamond plate and apologizes for the inconvenience.”

Turukáno’s laughter was lighter than the jingle of bells as the spring breeze makes them dance. “Of course!” he said. “Now, is there any part of your endeavour that you are ready to share with me?”

Tyelcano considered that for a moment. “I have news that may prove of interest to you,” he said carefully. “And I will tell you about them; but first, I must know: where am I? What is this strange and wonderful place?”

“I thought you would never ask,” said Turukáno, his smile all the wider. He stood, and pulled back the curtains with one fluid motion, draping the whole room in colourful hues of unearthly radiance. Awestruck, Tyelcano sat up in his bed, ignoring the firm protests of his broken leg, and looked.

Through the semicircle of crystal-clear windows, he saw a great white city with jewel-wrought façades and colourful rooftops; narrow streets paved with the noblest marble, statues and fountains rimmed with clusters of gold; giant windows painted in the colours of the rainbow; thin towers with gargoyles and sparkling tops that seemed too thin and too high to even exist; statues of kings and knights and dragons, their eyes wrought with gleaming jewels of all colours; an abundance of gardens, singing birds and strange flowers; and all that emerging from a sea of rich, green mountain-grass. Sharp, icy peaks loomed upon the horizon as far as the eye could see, and Eagles chased each other through their steep, deadly clefts, chasms, and abysses. Anor had already passed his peak, and hid behind the closest mountain, sending orange and golden rays of light through blankets of eternal snow.

Such was the Hidden City when Tyelcano saw it first; and words stuck in his mouth and his breath in his throat, for he was reminded of Tirion over the sea, and the Mountain of Túna as it bathed in the light of Valinórë, and his eyes stung.

“This,” said Turukáno, “is the Sealed Kingdom of Ondolindë, the last safe haven of the Quendi, be they of any blood or affiliation; home to me and to all who chose or accepted me as their King.” He removed the curtains from the other side of the bed as well, revealing an airy, luxurious parlour with squashy rugs, wide armchairs that were works of art themselves, and two gigantesque (and stuffed) bookshelves that both grazed the ceiling. “…and this is your new suite. I hope your accommodations are to your liking.”

“They… exceed my expectations, to say the very least,” Tyelcano smiled. “Aye…” He glanced wistfully at the closest of the four great armchairs, picturing himself as its occupant. “I believe I could get used to this.”

“I am sure you will.”

“When may I walk again?” Tyelcano asked. “I can grant myself two weeks of rest, if you would be so kind to have me; then I shall be on my way, swift and quiet, careful not to draw any eyes on my journey. I hope your guards shall have a map to spare.”

“I think it would be in your best interest to discuss this matter only later, when you have regained your strength,” came the answer; light, honest – and filled with warning.

Tyelcano deliberately ignored it.

“Highness,” he said, honeying his voice with respect and gratitude, “I beg you, if there is anything of importance regarding my journey West that you would share with me, please do so.”

Turukáno turned away from the view of his kingdom, and sat back on his bedside.

“I will tell you the whole story,” he sighed, “lest your wrath would turn against me for things I cannot change.”

When he spoke again, his voice was distant, and faint.

“It had all started with the dreams,” he began. “At first, I had mistaken them for nightmares, for they spoke of death and ruin; yet their message eventually became clear: find shelter. Find a place where Moringotto cannot reach you, or those you love. Still, I hesitated; for I feared that my dreams would mislead me. Then, Ulmo himself came to me and showed me the way: into this valley he led me. This is the Valley of Tumladen, he said, and the mountains themselves rumbled with the echo of his words –, here your kingdom shall stand for many years to come. Lead your people here, and you will be safe from all peril but the one you carry with yourself.”

“Then, I made plans. Countless scrolls of parchments I have filled; I have designed houses and streets, halls and dungeons, gates and fountains and even pavements; so that Ondolindë sprang to existence in the vaults of my fëa. Yet I have returned to Vinyamar and wandered the seashores, deep in thought. I was still unsure, hesitant like the Teleri: wishing to depart, yet unable to do so. For I knew that the only way my kingdom would last was that of secrecy and isolation; and the thought of leaving grieved me more than anyone could understand.”

“Then the Glorious Battle came, and our great victory with it; yet all I did was count my losses, and visit the graves of my fallen friends. A feeling of restlessness came over me, a warning from Ulmo himself, as I understood; and I knew I had to do what was best for my people. I had to leave Vinyamar behind while it was still green and peaceful, with seagulls cracking mussels on the edge of my window-sill. Thus, the constructions began, and on they went for years; in haste and secrecy my people have laboured, and I with them. With Ulmo’s help, we moved here, leaving no one behind; and when the last ones arrived, the six Gates of my City were sealed, so no outsider may enter or leave. This was the first and utmost rule I had based my Kingdom on: that of secrecy.”

“See, Counsellor, those who have chosen to follow me all accepted to stay at the safe haven once they reached it. For the Marrer is stronger than us all, and he knows the ways of our hearts; and no loyalty, no valorous stance can help us if he captures us! I am not willing to take that risk. The safest way would be, of course, to lock our Gates once and for all, letting no one in and no one out; yet we, in this City, are unable to shut our hearts completely from our people. Those who, by fate or by chance, do find the Gates of Ondolindë, and prove to be of good and honest intention, are let inside, and taken care of. I give homes to them, very often in my own house, and do my best to help them start a new life in my kingdom. There is only one rule they must all respect: once they entered, they cannot leave while the Iron Prison stands in the North, and the Doom of the Ñoldor is at work.”

Tyelcano took a deep breath, ignoring the terrible, gripping dread that spread across his chest.

“I presume,” he said, voice calm as a frozen lake, “that said interdict is not extended to, forgive my immodesty, but envoys of high stance from the upmost quarters of the household of the Star.”

“I am afraid it does,” said Turukáno, his voice low, regretful, but harder than stone. “Your companion has carried you all the way here. You have found the Orfalch Echor, and with that, one as well-versed with maps as yourself can find the exact location of this City in no time. I cannot risk that information somehow – anyhow – reaching the Enemy. I know you would never betray me willingly; but who knows what Moringotto is capable of…? Only once before had I let guests leave my City: for three days and three nights my Council debated the issue, and the only reason I decided in their favour was that the Eagles had carried them through the mountain-lands. They would never find us again on their own, not even if Moringotto were to break their will and read their minds; but the same is not true in your case, Counsellor. You are family, and rescued from a deadly peril that will come after you if you continue seeking it. And, first and foremost, you know where you are. I am sorry, from the bottom of my heart, but I cannot let you leave; at least not now, with the Enemy’s forces scattered in Beleriand and with deadly threats looming above the heads of the Ñoldor!”

“Lord Nelyo needs me,” said Tyelcano slowly, balefully. “I have to go.”

“This matter is not up to discussion,” Turukáno said, and in that moment, he seemed stern and adamant like Finwë himself. “You shall leave when the time comes for you to leave – if you still wish for it.”

Tyelcano counted thirteen breaths until he trusted himself enough to answer. “Do not think that I scorn your hospitality, or that I am without gratitude,” he said. “It is only that I am sworn…”

“…to the House of Finwë.” Turukáno’s eyes were two gleaming gems in the light of sunset. “And you tend to forget that Finwë had three sons, and his sons had sons, who have always been more eager to hear your counsel than Fëanáro, or any of his kin.”

Tyelcano let himself sink into the welcoming embrace of his pillows.

“You should have let the Enemy capture me,” he said. “Being burned with hot iron, reshaped into an Orc or threatened with the Eternal Darkness are nothing next to the sheer torment of the good old family feud.”

“Then the torment shall cease until you get better,” said Turukáno gently, and he tucked the blankets tighter around him. “Do not let the shadows of this marred world trouble you!”

“The shadows are within, and I, myself, feel marred,” Tyelcano sighed. Then, deciding to push his luck a little further, he added, “Turukáno… will you do something for me?”

“Anything except one.”

Of course.

“You have always been friends with the Eagles,” Tyelcano tried. “Can you at least… with or without their help… assure that my friends reach Barad Eithel safely?”

“I may.”

 “And will you come to see me again in my exile?”

“Exile is something we all share.” Lithely, Turukáno stood, and stepped outside the circle of curtains. “Worry not! You have not seen the last of me, or my household. Now rest, and regain your strength. I shall send a healer to have a look at you. Feel free to ask for any book your mind can convey – my library has it.”

With that, he was gone; and unearthly silence settled in the room once again.

Tyelcano propped his head up with silk pillows and crossed his arms, wincing inwardly at the painful tension the movement caused. He would need time to heal indeed; and assistance, and care. And he would have all that.

All his commands would be carried out, all his requests heard and honoured, all his wishes granted. All but one.

He was a prisoner, after all.

And as he lay in the cocooning warmth of his bed, indignant, grief-stricken, a sudden image flashed before his mind’s eye, from his home in the Blessed Realm across the Sea. From Formenos, where, in an empty room, there probably still was a marvellous diamond cage – courtesy of Fëanáro –, and within, a small bird, wrought of silver and gold with eyes of topaz and wings red as rubies. If one turned the key below its maw twelve times, it would sing.

And so would he.

~ § ~§ ~ § ~

Dimbar, North-West of the Brithiach, FA 467, the first day of Nárië

Antalossë had seen – and built – funeral pyres before.

Antalossë had seen innumerable horrors before, in fact, his life being one endless sequence of consecutive disasters.

Antalossë had lost friends before, and he had wept bitter tears for them.

Antalossë knew what peril was, and death scared him no longer.         

Why were his legs shaking so much, then?

The corpses did not look dead enough yet: three could have been sleeping, and two could have been at the verge of awakening with their eyes half open.

The flames crackled their tempestuous song as they ate flesh and bones like a pack of crimson wolves.

Why were his legs shaking…?

Antalossë had hoped that disaster would elude him this time; but hope did not douse in him the awareness that it could happen. Nor was he surprised that it did, after all. Peril had a habit to find him wherever he went. There was nothing special about the occasion; save perhaps for the detail that this particular disaster would have been easier to endure if he had two more corpses to burn, and not less.

There they were, slowly becoming a heap of ash and blackened bones: five empty shells, five limp likenesses of brave soldiers. He had known them by their names and called them friends. When he first came upon them, his stomach had curled into a tight knot, dreading the moment when he would turn over a corpse, and recognise Counsellor Tyelcano, or Senge, or Vorondo. Vorondo, he found; but not the other two.

He counted the dead again and again, over and over, caressed their faces, closed their eyes, clenched their palms around the hilts of their swords and whispered blessings into their ears as he helped Lindír lift them onto their pyres; yet there would always be two missing.

Later, he found the tracks: the crystal-clear path carved by a body that had been dragged along the airy plains, trails of blood and nails digging into the ground to fight the pains of a broken leg; and the deep, tamped footprints left by Orc-feet on the pursuit.

Antalossë looked at the tracks, then turned away, then looked again. Lindír was standing beside him, holding the pieces of a broken lance he was somehow reluctant to throw into the fire.

“They tried to run,” he said. Antalossë wanted to nod, but his head seemed frozen to his neck.

“…the whole band leapt after them. They could not have gotten very far.”

This time, Antalossë did nod. Lindír gave the fire a stir and turned away from the charred bones of their friends. The wind kept the billowing smoke away from their faces; still, their eyes stung.

Lindír took a breath. “Maybe we should…”

“There is nothing for us here.” Gildor’s voice was sharp, and very clear in the morning air as he emerged from under the edge of the nearest slope. “I have followed the tracks while you gathered wood and fed the fire. They keep getting increasingly trampled by Orcs as they run on, then they become unreadable.”

Antalossë stirred, his heart leaping into his throat. “But… the bodies, my lord,” he whispered. “Where are the bodies?”

Gildor looked him in the eye, hardly, almost challengingly.

“Do you mean that they were… captured?” Lindír’s hands tightened into fists. “Carried away? What do you mean, Lord?”

“Three miles North.” Gildor’s chest rose and fell, rose and fell, rose and fell. “I burned them.


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

‘Tyelcano son of Ettelë’ actually means Tyelcano son of ‘foreign lands’, in reference to his upbringing in Cuiviénen. The names of his parents are not known, and he never speaks about them, although it is rumoured that his father was one of the first Elves awakened by Eru himself.

Turgon’s story about the founding of Gondolin is a (stretched) retelling of the canon.

Leavens of Revolt

Conspiracies - intentional and unintentional - are plotted, and a friendship is strengthened.

Read Leavens of Revolt

The Inn to the Blind Guardian, FA 467, the third day of Nárië, before dawn

Laurefindil squinted at the artfully calligraphed tengwar on the list, with their archaic overbars and stylized initials, and sighed. He wished his head would hurt just a little less, or – if that was impossible – that it would at least cease pounding.

Since he had no such luck, he chose what he could first decipher.

“…I shall have a goblet of Hillside Nectar, please. Or two goblets… maybe three… in fact, we’d rather have the entire bottle, thank you.”

“And a glass of water,” called Voronwë from the back.

The innkeeper smiled as she emerged from the cellar with an old vintage of Hillside Nectar. “What is it with sailors and water? One would think you have tasted enough of it.”

“I shall rather drink water that knows it is water, than some sour grape juice that claims to be nectar,” Voronwë quipped.

The innkeeper laughed. “A curious answer from a lord who recently decided that he was a spy and knocked on my door in the middle of the night to organise a secret meeting!”

As far as Laurefindil was concerned, any meeting that was announced in a clear, ringing voice that echoed through a bar was no longer secret. Voronwë, however, did not seem to share his concerns for once, cautious as he was.

“…nothing of the sort, m’lady, I assure you. Only – lately, there were strange developments in the City, which our humble company would prefer to discuss in the silence and peace of your rooms.”

 “I hear that the walls in the Royal Palace have grown large, shapely ears,” said the innkeeper.

“Now,” said Voronwë, as he picked up his glass of water and led a puzzled Captain Laurefindil to the backdoor, “you have not heard such a thing from me, certainly. Not to mention that walls with poking ears would look absolutely awful.”

“As my lord wishes,” said the innkeeper. She left the taproom, and the two door-wings embraced behind the two Elves with a soft clank.

~ § ~

Lords Ecthelion and Egalmoth were already present – as agreed – and seated at the two opposite heads of the table. They both made a considerable effort to seem at ease; said efforts, however, were completely ineffective, as a bow-string would have been looser if one were to stretch it between them.

The room was tidy, and solemnly elegant – it looked, in fact, almost cosy for one accustomed to the ever-extravagant, pompous architecture of Ondolindë. If Voronwë was to be believed, the room was one of the many remote corners of the inn that were provided for those who sook privacy. Laurefindil had to rely on his friend’s words in that matter – he was not known for holding lengthy clandestine discussions.

Until now.

He took the seat facing Ecthelion’s and sank into weary silence. He did not know why they were here, or how long they were to stay – and, most of all, he had no idea what he was about to witness.

“Thank you all for coming,” said Voronwë, when everyone was seated. “Forgive me for having dragged you all the way down here in such an inconvenient hour – I assure you that I would not have done so if it was not strictly necessary.”

“It is quite all right,” said Ecthelion, “but why…”

Voronwë raised his hand. “We will get there in a moment. First of all – Ecthelion, Laurefindil, you both must promise me that you will keep in utmost secret whatever you might hear in this room. Once and for all – even if, at the end, you decide against helping our friend Egalmoth.”

Both addressed lords stared at him as if he had grown a second head.

“Trust me,” Voronwë repeated, “this is necessary.”

Ecthelion crossed his arms. “What is happening here…? Why should I swear secrecy to some unknown matter, why should I grant my loyalty for a hidden cause?”

“Promise that you will stay silent, and we will tell you everything,” said Egalmoth, with a shadow of pain in his eyes. “Please.”

“All right,” said Laurefindil slowly, “I, your friend, give you my word that I shall keep your secret, and I trust that you will not make me regret it.”

Ecthelion gave him a sidelong look, then sighed exasperatedly.

“All right – for friendship’s sake, I give you my word as well. Now explain.

Voronwë emptied his glass and looked around the table, his face solemn, yet grave.

“Before we get to that, I must inquire… to what extent have you been made aware of certain, ah, recent happenings?”

“You mean, about the intruders?” Ecthelion raised an eyebrow.

“To my best knowledge,” Laurefindil offered, “they were messengers from the East. The entire City is debating whether they are dead or alive, and if they were sent here on purpose. We had to forcefully seal the Palace against all the onlookers and their bustle. I have not seen such a commotion since…”

Laurefindil swallowed the rest of his sentence, and the lords all bowed their heads in mournful understanding. The last time Ondolindë had seen such commotion was when the Eagles had borne the body of High King Ñolofinwë, hero to many and sire to their King, after he had fallen to the cruel hammer of Moringotto. The whole City had then come out to the streets, standing vigil and singing laments.

“No one is allowed to see the newcomers,” Laurefindil added cautiously. “The King has been visiting them every morn and every eve. I seldom saw him in the past few days, but whenever I did, he seemed very grave to me; deep in thought, yet somewhat hopeful. I cannot guess the cause or the meaning of his perturbation; he spoke naught to me – he had us double the city watch instead!”

“Laurefindil,” said Egalmoth slowly, “has the King – or Ecthelion, for that matter – told you about certain complications surrounding the arrival of these… intruders?”

“I meant to, but I did not have the chance yet.” Ecthelion gave a stormy sigh. “The envoys were chased by Orcs, and they ventured to our Gates by nothing more than chance; or maybe – as some claim – by the will of the Valar. Nevertheless, the Orcs did not follow them closely enough to see where exactly they had disappeared; therefore, they had practically no chance to find the secret entrance of our City. Well – they would have probably never had the chance to find it, if Captain Elemmakil of the Watch did not ride out on them!”

“He did…?!” Laurefindil exclaimed, more out of dread than admiration. “But that is against the Law!”

“Aye, it is.” Ecthelion bowed his head. “The fool… One of the newcomers begged him to help his friends who had fallen behind; and Elemmakil complied like the pompous fool he had always been…! And on he rode. Doing justice in this situation shall be most gruesome: I do not like the thought of it… yet what Captain Elemmakil did, however heroic, doomed him. He purposefully broke the Law of Secrecy. And for breaking the Law of Secrecy –”

“No!” Laurefindil exclaimed.

“Yes, Fin. Yes. You get thrown into the Caragdûr for that.”

“And that is why I am here today,” said Egalmoth solemnly. “As you all know, Captain Elemmakil is an honourable servant of my House. I cannot suffer him being killed for the bravest deed he had ever done. I wondered, Ecthelion, if you could help me lift the sentence. Somehow… Anyhow…”

For a long time, the only sound in the room was the soft patter of rain on the roof and the windows.

“This is one of those times,” said Ecthelion at length, “when the Laws may seem cruel. But the whole raid could have been avoided. The Orcs never found the First Gate – Elemmakil himself went out to chase them. He rode out several miles, for Valar’s sake! And for that reason, I do not see how I could help him. As Lord Warden of the Gates, all I could do was assure that he drags his heroic behind back in time; that all the Orcs are hunted down; and that our guests are assigned to the best healer. I may still, of course, acquaint the King with my opinion, but I doubt that it would change much. Such matters belong to the consideration of Counsellor Lómion. He is the only one who can still save your captain, and – well, good luck with that.

“Could Lómion truly want him to be executed?” Laurefindil raised his brows. “I doubt it.”

“Lómion saw his own father executed and did not even blink!” Ecthelion snapped. “Or have you forgotten…?! Fin, you can really be a giant, empty-headed dandelion sometimes!”

Laurefindil took a deep breath. “I was only trying to say…”

But his friend was far too preoccupied with his aversion towards the Counsellor. “I was there when he spoke the doom, if you must know,” he said brusquely. “And he did say it saddened him to decide so – but the King’s Law cannot be taken lightly, he declared, and he would not tell me another word. As much as I hate to admit it, Lómion has the Law on his side this time. After all, Captain Elemmakil did endanger our entire City with his actions – and that could, under no circumstances, be denied, or – in the Counsellor’s words – taken lightly.”

“And yet,” Laurefindil tried, “if Lómion were to give him a second chance – to make sure he would respect the Law in the future and take every word to heart – I am sure that Elemmakil would not disappoint!”

“Had he broken any other Law than that of Secrecy,” Ecthelion sighed, “I believe there would be a chance to save him. Egalmoth, my friend, I am sorry. I can do naught.”

“Well… if Lómion’s mind is truly made, then nor can I,” admitted Laurefindil, a great weight settling on his chest.

Egalmoth bowed his head in mute acceptance, while Voronwë, who had stayed silent all the way long, propped up his head upon an elbow, and made a scornful ‘tsk-tsk’ sound, shattering his usual image of quiet grace.

“Why, my friends,” he said, “I have invited you lot here today to tell you that there is, in fact, someone could do plenty – if we are insane enough to ask for his help.”

“Please, go on,” said Laurefindil, his interest piqued.

“Well,” Voronwë crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair. “Our Captain Elemmakil, as it happens, is exceptionally fortunate in his choice of obedience. When he charged at those Orcs at the plea of a fallen traveller clad in blood-coated rags, he had no idea who he had just saved, upon whose command was he breaking the Law. Little did he know that dressed in those particular blood-coated rags was no mere messenger, but a great lord from Tirion: Counsellor to Finwë, then Fëanáro, and now Nelyafinwë, from the fortress of Himring; one named Tyelcano. This I have learned only yestereve, when I spoke to the King: he is, to tell the truth, quite happy to have this Lord Tyelcano under his wings. Now… by service, this Lord Tyelcano belongs to the King’s, and therefore, my family: perhaps not in the same way Lómion does, but in a way that is no less valuable. And although I do not yet know him in person, I am sure that he would not cherish the thought of Captain Elemmakil dying for having granted his wish. Lord Tyelcano is, the King tells me, Nelyafinwë’s only advisor and close friend; and Nelyafinwë, whatever one might say about him, is an epitome of knightly valour. If anyone, then this Lord Tyelcano can help you.”

“How?” said Laurefindil. “How could he, an outsider, do anything, if Lómion’s doom has already been spoken?”

“There is only one way to change what has been settled: bringing the matter before the Council,” said Ecthelion slowly. “Voronwë means that we will have to accuse Lómion of injustice...”

“…after which a debate would commence.” Egalmoth shook his head. “A debate with Lómion in charge, which – in itself – is a lost cause. Have you ever heard him speak?!”

“Not against the legendary counsellor of Finwë himself – not against the one who had talked Fëanáro into accepting his exile,” said Voronwë, now visibly amused. “I, for one, would dearly like to watch that debate.”

For a short while, they all contemplated the thought in silence and doubt. Finally, it was Laurefindil who spoke:

“I do not understand. How did this Elf come here? Have the Seven Sons sent us messengers, respecting some unknown agreement…? Or have they only lost their way?”

“They came here by chance,” Ecthelion said slowly. “That much is clear. If you ask me, they were heading to Barad Eithel…”

“Only two envoys made it to the Gates, and one died the night afterwards,” said Voronwë. “He was a scout. The lord is recovering… and he will stay here, my friends. The King has already made that very clear. He is not going anywhere – as goes the Law.” He made a pause. “The King seems to have great respect for him. Aye, I believe that he could help us.”

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

The Royal Palace, in the evening

To say that Counsellor Lómion’s study was dark would have been an overstatement – when Erestor pressed the handle and walked in, his heart in his throat, he found it draped in faint gleam instead. The silvery hue came from a flameless lamp, the likes of which he often saw around Lómion; it was like a sharp, gleaming jewel, a maze of erratically connected angular surfaces. It doubled, tripled, quadrupled Erestor’s shadow as he sneaked closer to the table and shrugged off the tension of intimidation.

He had been told to come and wait here; and wait he would.

Lómion was known to be very strict and reserved about the usage of his library, but Erestor risked a glance at the nearest bookshelf all the same. Sadly, he could not have reached any of the books without making noise – the spaces between the furniture were too narrow, and the tips of the bookshelves (were the rarest items were kept) almost touched the ceiling.

Erestor had no choice but to admit his failure and turn his attention to the landscape. Lómion’s window looked out to icy Crissaegrim instead of the lush gardens, or the King’s many fountains as they chattered and sang – it was a strange choice of view, one with edges and depths, one with sharp lines and narrow angles.

A large pile of paper was placed on top of Lómion’s desk, ready to be studied, signed, or even copied for all Erestor knew. He stepped closer, suddenly overwhelmed by curiosity. Maybe, if he could just steal a glance… he would not tell anyone. No one would know…

His plans, however, were thwarted by Lómion himself as he walked into the room (cradling another roll of parchment in his arms) and sat down behind his desk to read through it. He seemed oblivious to his young friend’s presence; he took his quill, and scribbled a note between two lines, brows knit in thought. Erestor could tell that whatever he was reading, he was not at all happy about it.

Quite possibly, he was being a nuisance.

Erestor suddenly felt childish and stupid for having come here. Lómion surely had things of greater importance to do than answering his questions… He should probably just turn and leave, as quickly and quietly as he had come.

The Counsellor’s eyes suddenly locked with his. “Oh, it’s you.” He sighed. “You must excuse me, young lord. I got… carried away in my thoughts, and I did not see you. Please, sit.”

Erestor did not sit. “I do not want to disturb you…”

“Clearly, you do – otherwise, you would not be here.” Lómion smiled quizzically. “Out with it!”

“You have better things to do now, Lómion,” the boy stammered. “I – I just wanted to ask you stupid questions, like I always do.”

“If you must lie to me, little one,” said Lómion gently, “at least try and get better at it. You are carrying an unnecessary weight. Let it go.”

Erestor came closer, his steps faltering in front of the desk, and he sank into the other chair. Now that he was here, facing his friend and protector, the matters that had brought him there seemed petty and ridiculous.

“I was hoping…,” he began cautiously, “that you could help me decide.Yestereve, my uncle told me something that I did not quite understand, but he would not explain it. I almost admitted to him that I was no longer a stranger to law, but I did not dare to speak, because… Lómion, do you not think that we should finally tell him about… about us? About you teaching me law, and me being your friend, and everything? I feel like a thief in the night whenever I come here, yet I am not doing anything wrong!”

Lómion raised his hand, smiling.

“One matter at a time, young lord! First, you would do very well to explain what Lord Ecthelion had said that you failed to understand.”

“He said…” Erestor swallowed. “He said… Oh no, I should not speak. Lómion, I… I was eavesdropping. The words my uncle spoke were not meant for me to hear, and when he realised that I had, he was angry with me… I should not…”

Lómion nodded. “Then you should not,” he said, his voice serious. “However, if those words were not for you to hear, they are no concern of yours – therefore, you should stop worrying about them. Let the lords discuss their own matters and be glad that you are spared such burdens for the time being.”

“Yes, you are right,” Erestor was suddenly ashamed. “I should not be talking about any of it. It is just that you are my friend; and although it may be wrong to tell you about this, because I am thus disobeying my uncle… but you are my friend and you have always been nice to me. I think you should truly know about this before something really bad happens.”

“Erestor,” said Lómion, his voice suddenly grave. “What was it that you heard?”

“Uncle said that Lord Egalmoth was bringing a matter of injustice and a breach of the King’s Law before the Grand Council,” said Erestor, his voice trembling. “He also said that he was vouching for Lord Egalmoth in front of the Council, so that his words would be heeded; and that Captain Laurefindil would be witness, too. It was him that Uncle spoke to, when I heard them… Captain Laurefindil…”

“It is only what was to be expected,” Lómion smiled tightly. “Your Uncle is a proud and noble lord, and such lords are known to prefer loyalty over the black-and-white sincerity of justice where their friends are concerned. Just remember what I told you about law precedents…”

“Aye,” said Erestor. “But when I was discovered eavesdropping, I asked my Uncle if it was Lord Egalmoth himself who stood accused of injustice, and he said no. He would not tell me who it was, or why, but he exclaimed in anger that it was you who breached the law, cundunya, and that you were about to get away with it!” Erestor’s eyes were wide and fearful. “I told him it was impossible… and then he scolded me. And now I feel torn, because my Uncle never lies. He just cannot – it is impossible, just as impossible as the thought of you, my friend, breaking the King’s Law. Now here I stand, torn between two impossible things. My Uncle must be mistaken – but why would anyone think, cundunya, that you have done such a terrible thing?”

Lómion took a deep breath, and Erestor saw that he had to struggle to keep his voice calm.

“Lord Ecthelion, as it appears, spoke in anger and frustration, and that is how I shall treat his words. The way I spoke to him yesterday was… far from polite. It is true that I overstepped myself, and perhaps – unintentionally – disrespected him in the heat of the moment. For that, I shall apologize.”

“But why…”

“If you have your eyes open, young lord,” said Lómion, his gaze suddenly scrutinizing, “you must have noticed that our City has visitors. We do not know whence they came, or what they want – and their reception has not been seamless. A captain from Lord Egalmoth’s house is to be held responsible for his rash actions, and that is where my conflict with your Uncle Ecthelion stemmed from. You should not worry about it: the Lord Warden is known to speak hotly at times, although he means well. He always does.”

“You are just telling me that in hope that I would finally leave you alone,” Erestor said.

“Perhaps. Perhaps not. Even I am prone to the weakness of damaged pride, Erestor nin.” Lómion reached out above the table and held the boy’s chin gently. “Now tell me, young one… is there anything else you would like to tell me?”

Erestor looked into his friend’s eyes, deep and dark like two bottomless wells, and suddenly wished he could stream all the knowledge of Arda into them.

“Not much… only that there is a debate to be held. In – in the Council.”

“The decision is already made,” said Lómion, puzzled. “Captain Elemmakil is going to be punished –”

“My uncle spoke about a debate in the Council. And that… that you are not going to like what will happen. I do not know what he meant by that, Lómion, but be wary…! You are far from unprotected, but it is never good to be on the receiving end of my uncle’s wrath.”

There was a long silence. Lómion’s face betrayed none of his thoughts, but his eyes were bright and keen, as if searching for truths and explanations beyond the boundaries of the visible world.

“These are wise words from one so young,” He finally said, musing. “Thank you for your kindness and loyalty, Erestor nin. I will not forget it.”

“It is I who should thank you, cundunya.” Erestor bowed, then hesitated, then finally spoke. “What about… well, should we keep meeting in secret?”

“In the light of recent events,” said Lómion measuredly, “I think we should. I will try my best, however, to reconcile with Lord Ecthelion.”

The boy nodded, a little bit shaken. He was already in the doorway when Lómion called after him.

“And – Erestor!”

“Yes, cundunya?”

“If one day you find that there is anything, anything that bothers you, that weighs on you, anything you would like to tell me – please, do it, as bravely as you did today. I promise that I will do my best to help you.”

“Thank you,” said Erestor, deeply grateful. “Thank you. I will.”

“Good night, then.” Lómion smiled faintly. “May your dreams be sweeter than mine.” He glanced at the revolting amount of parchments on his desk. “Now shoo, leave me to my work. Council reports will not write themselves, you know.”

Waybirds' Nest

Antalosse's luck turns once more, Fingon's questionable wisdom is introduced, and Maedhros strengthens an alliance.

Read Waybirds' Nest

Hithlum, FA 467, the eighteenth day of Nárië

The fortress of Barad Eithel sat in the embrace of the Ered Wethrin, large, painted windows squinting down on the narrow mountain pass like curious eyes. Its watchtowers faced the East proudly, an open threat to the forces of the Enemy: such was the seat of the High King of the Noldor since the times of the Siege, when Morgoth had cowered before Ñolofinwë and the strength of his alliance; and even with Ñolofinwe dead and half his people scattered, it still held some stern, quiet authority.

Antalossë of Himring stared blankly at the blue-and-silver flags of the High King as they fluttered in the wind. The softest breeze made them fly, as if they had been weaved of empty air themselves, and they were so fine that he thought he could see the outlines of the walls behind them. He could have ripped them with his bare hands if he wanted. They seemed so fragile! Or were they like pendants of Curufinwë’s making: thin, detailed and fractile-looking, yet solid as rocks?

Antalossë had never thought he could see those flags, or the High King, or his court. Life outside the Himring had become hard and dangerous since the Flames; and the average Elf got shot, hammered, captured or daggered by Orcs before they could even dream of such things. Yet here he was, and in Lord Nelyafinwë’s good graces at that. After all, he had somehow managed to save three of his brothers.

Antalossë had never saved anyone else before; and even then, it was only sheer, dumb luck. If the Lord’s brothers had not come…

Yet none of that mattered now. Not the past, nor the future: only the here and the now. Only the course of his purpose as he would carry it out. Only the truthfulness of his reasons. Only the fact that he was about to do the right thing, even if that right thing meant death.

It truly did not matter. He had delivered the message he had been trusted with; and thus, his imminent duty was done. Now came the duty of honour and decency. Of friendship. Of gall and despair…

Lord Nelyafinwë’s seal ring graced the High King’s finger now, but Antalossë could still feel its weight in the pouch that hang from his belt: cold and insistent, like the touch of a heavy hand that sought to turn him back from the fate he had chosen for himself.

There was, however, no true challenge in choosing one form of treason over the other. No matter which way he went, darkness awaited; and the only stable point in the storm of his doubts was his wish to choose the lesser evil, and desert the command his heart so strongly resented. With every step he took on the other road, the road reason and common sense told him to follow, he was failing his Lord and betraying his command.

“What are you doing, child?”

Antalossë immediately recognized the voice, and his breath stuck in his throat. Of all the people who could catch him red-handed…

“Nothing, Highness,” he said, and folded the sheet in his hands as calmly and accurately as he could manage.

“And you are wording that nothing just now with a bar of – what even is that?”

“A sharpened bit of coal, Highness.”

High King Findekáno leaned against the balustrade next to him and smiled. “Are you a poet?”

Antalossë knew he was supposed to raise his head and look at him; and so he complied, stricken by the sudden force of his presence. King Findekáno was ageless, like most of the Eldar: neither old nor young, lithe yet strong; lively and graceful like a willow-tree that has seen many winters, yet still grows greener than saplings. His dark hair was a sea with waves lapping at his elbows, his eyes wide and bright like gems, his voice liquid silver; and his entire being a well of radiance that shone through his garments, which seemed way too modest for one of his stature.

“You must be a poet,” he decided. “Only poets stay mute if asked. They are particularly bad at lying.”

“I – I do not possess the talents of poetry or deceit, my King,” said Antalossë, bewildered. “I thought poets were good at lying,” he added uncertainly. “Skilled as they are with words…”

“Skilled, aye. Common misconception – it is not the wording that makes a good liar. It is the ability to speak of something else than yourself. If you show me a poet who is capable of that, you know more of the world than I.” King Findekáno laughed. “You must have met my cousin Makalaurë. Have you ever heard him lie…? No. You cannot always catch the meaning of his words, that much is true; but whatever he says, he means it in some implausible dimension, because that is the way he is. It must be as tough as the Doom of Mandos.”

Neither of them spoke for a long moment. Then Antalosse said, as if against his will:

“I am drawing a map of these lands. The only ones we have are from before the Flames, and I thought… well, Counsellor Tyelco was preparing one for the lord. So I am trying to finish it, you see. Highness. Have it sent to him somehow.”

“I see,” said King Findekáno gently. He leaned closer to the youth, and they both looked at the silver ribbons of distant flags as the wind picked them up. “Was he your friend?”

“I cannot truly say, for I seldom saw him, but everyone likes Lord Tyelco,” said Antalossë truthfully. “He is clever… he was clever. And he always knew what to do.” He swallowed. “It is so unjust. I should have died instead of him. He was the one carrying the message… but he broke his leg, and then the Orcs came. There was nothing I could do, yet now I cannot stop thinking about ways I could have spared him from his fate. He was the wisest Elf I knew... apart from Lord Nelyafinwë, of course.”

“I do not claim to understand the workings of Arda,” said King Findekáno slowly, “but I know this: everything happens for a reason, and behind the evil machineries of the Enemy, there always remains the simple, unbreachable order of life. Of dusk and dawn, of rising and falling, of victory and defeat. Of acting, then suffering the consequences of your acts. No one is free from that, young one. Not even Moringotto. One day, he shall pay; and I shall do my utmost to live to that day and see it for myself. The Enemy can be defeated – we have defeated him before, and we shall do it again if we have to.”

“If anyone, then you will, Highness.” Antalossë bowed. “You, and your cousins. Forgive me for weighing my sorrow upon you… there must be many matters and grievances on your heart at all times. I do not wish to be one of them.”

“Worry not. You did not make it onto the list,” said the King, his smile suddenly rueful. “In fact, I was hoping you could help me do something very stupid and irresponsible. See, I have found myself in possession of a secret I have never meant to possess, and it gnaws on my mind. It would be best to lock it up in my fëa until the end of times, but I cannot do it. My heart tells me otherwise – it tells me that the evil of untruth is greater than the evil of trepidation, and I find myself conflicted.”

“What kind of secret is that, Highness?” Antalossë asked. “Are you certain that it is me you wish to share it with?”

“I must tell someone, and swiftly, before my heart gets chained by common sense,” said King Findekáno softly. “There are times… strange and rare times… when the clockwork of our logic betrays us and we must walk other paths. I have never been afraid to walk such paths, you see. If I was, my dear cousin would still be hanging from that cliff.”

Antalossë did not trust himself to speak; and the King held his face between his palms, turning it upwards until their eyes met.

“There is a chance that Counsellor Tyelcano is still alive,” he whispered. Then he turned away. “There. I said it… now there are three of us in Arda left with such terrible knowledge; and tell me, please tell me that your heart aches as much as mine. What would you have me do, soldier of Himring? What would you have me do?!” And Antalossë trembled at the fervour in his voice.

Then something occurred to him.

“Lord Gildor knew…” He choked on the words. “And he lied. He said that he had burned the bodies. He left Lindír and me with the knowledge that Lord Tyelco had found rest. And my brother-at-arms Senge. He led us on in blessed ignorance… but he told you, did he not? He had to. He cannot hide anything from his King, in the same way that I cannot hide anything from Lord Nelyafinwë. It is unimaginable.” Antalossë drew a heavy breath. “Woe to me Aranya! You have told me a secret that could bring great evil upon us all.”

“I do not see why it should,” said King Findekáno, “as you would already be on your way North if I was not holding you back with my secrets.”

Antalossë winced. “How did you know…?”

“I am a king, not an idiot.” Findekáno crossed his arms, fingers drumming impatiently on his doublet. “I know your kind, Antalossë of Himring; and yes, I do remember your name. You remind me of myself, from the times when I was, in fact, not a king but an idiot… You would have now been ready to ride North and avenge the demise of your friends as any true soldier should – and leave the guarding of your lord’s lands to others. Leaving duty to others. I have done that before, and it could have brought the evil of evils upon my head – if it did not, it was only because the Valar heard my desperate plea and the great Thorondor rescued me. Yet one cannot rely on such unearthly interventions. You are needed here, young one; and not out there in the wilderness, alone, however upliftingly terrible it might seem for your troubled conscience. Have I been clear?”

“Y-yes, my King,” Antalossë said, as determined as he could make himself sound. “But… Highness, if I may ask… why is this knowledge so terrible to you, then? You seem to be sure what to do. You seem to have accepted that the delivery of a simple message from Lord Nelyafinwë cost him his most trusted Counsellor, even if he is alive; yet then again, we do not know if he is alive, do we? He could be anywhere. He could be in an Orc camp, or even worse. Oh, Manwë and Varda, where do you think he is…?

“Aye, said King Findekáno softly, “that is the true question. Where is he? Are Exiles taken into Mandos, even? The Counsellor has killed, young one; same as I have killed, and my cousins, and their father, and my guards, and my cupbearer, and many, so many of our people. What happens to us when we die, we cannot know. Maybe our fëa flies free… and that is the best possibility. If I assume the worst – well, you cannot erase a truth by delaying its enunciation. The worst place Tyelcano could be is Angamando. If the Enemy’s servants find him… if Moringotto finds out that he has captured Nelyo’s closest advisor, right from the House of the Star… beloved servant to Finwë himself, mentor of princes and Counsellor of Kings… what do you think he shall do, then?”

Antalossë could not speak.

“Can you now see why my head battles my heart, young one? Can you now see how cruel is the choice that lies in front of me? Lie to my cousin, and he shall find it out – perhaps not immediately, but sooner or later he shall, just as surely as Anor rises the next morning – and then he will turn away from me and call me a liar; and I shall lose one who is dearer to me than any friend or brother has ever been. Or tell him the truth and I deliver him the blow myself.” The King’s voice was hard as steel. “And what do you think your Lord will do, then? What do you think he will do when he finds out that his most faithful servant is about to suffer the same fate as he had? Nelyo is his father’s son; and his wrath is terrible, his despair deadly. I am afraid of telling him – but he shall learn the truth either way, and his wrath shall only be the greater.” King Findekáno shook his head. “I lead the Noldor, day by day. I manage hundreds of miles of lands and I stand vigil over thousands of people, yet I find that I cannot carry this weight. It seems that once again, I shall need to choose from a variety of evils; and I dread the thought that as time goes on, all my choices shall be reduced to that.”

“Then you must the lesser of those evils, Highness,” said Antalossë. “That is why I wanted to leave: to avenge the friends I have lost. I have lost too many this year, and I could not even grieve for them properly. I am not even a hundred years old, and I feel ancient!” He swallowed. “And losing the Counsellor… Lord Nelyafinwë bid me to go with him because I had saved his brothers from an Orc attack. He did not understand that it was not my merit but only luck… I did not understand that it was only luck… and now I have failed my Lord and I have failed Counsellor Tyelco, too. It seems only right that I should avenge him, and Senge; and Ohtar and Vorondo.”

“You could do more by simply going home.”

“I am guilty of cowardice, Highness. I could not look my Lord and his brothers in the eye and tell them what happened! They would send me in exile, and they would be right about it. No scout should stay alive while his lord is dead – worse, captured! Oh, if I could only know that Lord Tyelco has gone to Mandos! I believe that if he had the chance, he would go willingly, rather than to expose himself to Moringotto. But if he had been truly captured…” Antalossë swallowed the end of his sentence, then slowly raised his eyes to meet the King’s. “Well – then Lord Nelyo is in grave danger, and you are the only one who can help him.”

“I ask you because you are loyal to my cousin and you follow his command: what would you have me do, Antalossë? Should I tell him – or should I lie, and risk his wrath, and wonder how long the bliss of illusion lasts?”

“Captain Gildor must have already told you what you should logically do, Highness,” said Antalossë measuredly. “You should choose the lesser of evils and lie – not to conceal, but merely to delay the inevitable.”

“Is that what you would do?”

Antalossë raised his head, suddenly fearless.

“No, Highness. I would tell Lord Nelyafinwë the truth. And I would not use messengers: I would go myself.”

“Truly?”

“Aye. As you can surely see, this is a terrible piece of advice – which is why you should definitely ask someone else.”

King Findekáno narrowed his eyes.

“I like you,” he decided. “I might as well have you ride next to me.”

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

Meanwhile in the City of Belegost

“…therefore,” said Azaghâl, landing yet another jug of ale upon the table, “you are telling me that you have finally and decisively let a screw loose.”

Maedhros turned the words of the Common Tongue over and over in his head, unable to tell if he was supposed to be offended. “Which would mean…?”

The Dwarf’s laughter was hot and rough like Curufin’s smelters on a particularly dry summer morning.

“It means that you have lost your mind, dear friend. You have always had these phantasms, that the people of Beleriand shall all stand together and hold hands in the moonlight. If you truly expect the Green-Elves and the Grey-Elves and all those other haughty hunter-people to help you… if you expect Men and Khazâd and who-knows-what-else to unite under your flag and shake their fists in unison – if you honestly do – then there is no madness in this world that could match yours. You are telling me that King Thingol still has not forgotten about that incident with the ships…”

“I do not want him to forget about Losgar, although he had little to do with it,” said Maedhros patiently. “I merely wish he would answer my letters, if meeting him remains impossible still.”

“High expectations,” Azaghâl quipped. “I, for that matter, would content myself with him lowering duties around that Mahal-forsaken forest. If not for Lord Caranthir, our minerals would barely have market. But enough of my complaining! It is ill luck to share one’s grievances with a mad Elf.”

“I am truly sorry for you, then.”

“Forget it, Maedhros. The Enemy is sleeping now, and we should live and prosper while he is; for he shall wake again and try to destroy us. We should always be ready. But to seek union…” Azaghâl laughed. “My dear, dear friend. At times, one should think that you have left half your brain in the Dark Realm along with that hand.”

“Findekáno says that all the time about my sense of humour,” said Maedhros, puzzled. There were not many people in Beleriand who addressed him as an equal, and Azaghâl was one of them. He had previously observed that getting told off by a Dwarf did wonders to one’s ability to switch perspectives – if they were not too busy trying to translate the japes or getting offended.

“Hmm. I would not say that. If you were truly smart, you would cry fool now, and tell me that you are here to order a thousand breastplates.”

“Actually,” said Maedhros, “it would be closer to three thousand.”

Azaghâl slowly lowered his jug and placed it on the table, next to the empty ones. “Excuse me…?”

“I am seeking to establish a Union, whether you think it is foolish or not,” Maedhros declared, not without complacence. “I know that it shall be difficult, and I also know that there are many conflicts to resolve; but I believe that it could be done.” He breathed in, breathed out. “I can still believe, my friend: that is the only thing I have left. I am the Enemy of the Enemy: his power is growing, and he has isolated our kingdoms from each other. Yes; he is stronger than us. Yes; he is terribly dangerous. Yes; his malice is persistent and terrifying. And yet… someone must do something before it is too late. Someone has to make amends, to initiate discussions or even feud. Someone has to unite the Free People of Beleriand. And why not me? I know the Enemy and his power. I have defied him… and marred though I remain by Moringotto’s vices, he is the one who gave me the power to fight him.”

Azaghâl eyed him thoughtfully.

“I wear no crown and the only lands I hold are my own,” Maedhros went on. “I am the only one who can face the Enemy; and for that, I shall turn over every leaf and shout into every bush if that is what it would take to have the Sindar and the Laiquendi fight for me. I shall travel to the kingdoms of Men and bend them to my cause. I shall come back to you, my friend, and buy you out of breastplates if that helps your kingdom prosper. Someone truly must do this, and it might as well be me – me, who did terrible things, who had killed in Alqualondë and stood aside in Losgar, letting evil have its hour. It might as well be my punishment, or redemption if that sounds better for your ears.”

Azaghâl scratched his beard. “Pretty words!” he quipped and his eyes shone like two gems of smouldering onyx in the light of the torches. “Tell me, Elf,” he said in a rough voice, “if I follow you to battle… Let’s say that the Dark One stuffs those trinkets of yours inside the belly of a bat and lets it loose; and the bat happens to land among my archers. What will you do, then? Ask nicely? Wait for the battle to end? Overrun us – your own friends and brothers-at-arms?”

“Once I have defeated the Enemy,” said Maedhros, smiling, “I do not think it would be very difficult for me to find that bat.”

“Clever and elusive, as ever! The problem with you Elves is that you pretend to misunderstand questions we, base mortals immediately know your answers to.”

“You cannot know my answer, for I do not know it myself,” said Maedhros, his voice suddenly shrill. “You know that I have sworn, and that I did not do it lightly. You know that I must take the Silmarili back… but the key to that, I believe, is the defeat of the Enemy. One Jewel has recently been stolen, and it is now in Doriath; yet you will not see me going after it. Not yet. My Oath bounds me, that much is true, but its rope is not around my neck. Not tightly, at least.”

“Is it true, then?” Azaghâl raised his brows. “King Greymantle stole a Jewel of yours?”

“He had it stolen.” Maedhros sighed. “We do not truly know how or why. I have sent two of my brothers to speak to him, but I deprive myself the luxury of waiting for a decent answer.”

“Mahal’s hammers,” the Dwarf said. “I dislike thieves. I dislike your people’s complicated manner of speech. But most importantly, I dislike King Greymantle.”

“That makes two of us.” Maedhros smiled ruefully. “Anyway… what I have told you about Curufinwë and the forge…”

“All is well and done.” The Dwarf waved his hands absently. “I shan’t say no to good companionship. And we have decided that Lord Caranthir’s generous taxes shall remain, have we not?”

“We have.” Maedhros tilted his head. “This is the third time you asked. Is something amiss?”

“I want to be sure. The roads are becoming dangerous once again, and my people continue to suffer losses,” Azaghâl said. “You must have noticed. Since the Orcs took the Gap…”

“Maglor is taking it back. I have sent my best troops with him.”

The Dwarf scratched his head. “You lot are really doing this, eh?”

“We are.” Maedhros stood, fighting the sudden impact of ale in his head. The absence of balancing forces where his hand should have been suddenly became unbearable. “Please receive my thanks for being such a kind host. I look forward to those trade agreements.”

“Is that it?” Azaghâl crossed his arms, a trace of indignance colouring his voice. “No more sweet words? No more persuasion? No more listing of reasons why I should follow you into a battle that is already lost?”

“I would never ask you to follow a cause you do not believe in, my friend,” said Maedhros, bowing his head. “But the day when my Union has grown and it stands ready to face the Enemy… that day I shall come to you and ask you to fight by my side, for I know your people’s strength in arms. Until then – may the Stars watch over you!”

He bid good-bye to Azaghâl and left the room. Outside the door, he stopped absently, as if to admire the ornaments of the Casari in the walls; and he creased his face into an expression of great surprise when his friend stormed out the door, almost running him over.

“The Powers help me!” Azaghâl growled. “You! The way you appear out of thin air when one needs you the most! The way you fill my head with your impossible fantasies! The way you defeat armies by yourself, and protect the East, and face the enemy, laughing – what metal are you made of?! What madness possesses me when I follow your witless lead?” Azaghâl clasped Maedhros’s good arm in a warrior’s greeting, so sudden and so forceful that he almost tripped over. “All right! All right – I shall join your Mahal-forsaken Union if that is the last thing I do, and we shall cleanse these lands together. No more Orc-filth for us!” The Dwarf looked at him sharply. “You knew I would do it, of course. That is why you are still here. You have been waiting for me to change my mind.”

“I was merely admiring the wall,” said Maedhros lightly. “Your tongue is fascinating. What does barûk mean?”

Azaghâl stared at him. “You can read the runes?”

“I have been taught.”

“By whom?”

“A bat,” said Maedhros after a moment of brief consideration. “If you see one swallowing my Father’s Holy Jewels, I grant you my personal permission to slice it open.”


Chapter End Notes

Note: ‘The Common Tongue’ Maedhros and Azaghâl use is meant to be archaic Adûnaic/Westron, as the Westron we know from ‘The Lord of the Rings’ does not yet exist here. However, it seems plausible that the languages of Men would serve as lingua franca between Elves and Dwarves, since Khuzdûl is never introduced to outsiders; and Dwarves, I believe, show general aversion towards learning Sindarin (or Quenya, for that matter).

The Gates of Summer

Many meetings occur, songs are sung, and revelations are made.

Read The Gates of Summer

The Hidden City of Ondolindë, FA 467, the morning before Tarnin Austa

Cloaks were, as a general rule, of versatile use. They kept one warm, shielded them from weather and attention alike, and helped one mingle with the crowd so they would not be continuously disturbed by uninteresting everyday grievances, such as taking their potions in time.

The latter, especially, was true for black cloaks, as Counsellor Tyelcano had observed; and yet, it seemed that most things he had identified as general rules would not apply in Turukáno’s realm. Not here, where the very air shimmered with silvery light; not here, where needle-thin towers oft seemed to reach as high as the very mountains that encircled them. The streets of Ondolindë were full of sharp edges, hidden corners and unearthly shadows; and Tyelcano felt one of them. He did not belong here, into this canvas of pale-coloured, painful beauty.

Twenty days had passed since his pain had woken him in the bed of his new suite: twenty days of healing, rare books and inexhaustible generosity. Turukáno’s healers visited him thrice a day to see how he fared, and the King himself came often as well. The rest of his court, Tyelcano had yet to meet; for his broken leg was still healing, and it was the King’s command that he should not be disturbed, questioned, or even let outside his quarters.

Tyelcano, however, got out of his bed after a mere five days, and limped over to the bookshelves to explore their contents. The next day, he got as far as the balcony, and watched Anor set. The day afterwards, he bathed himself; and ever since, he kept pacing back and forth in the rooms when there was no one to watch him. The last time he had remained this idle for this long was when the Flames came, and a lance nearly ripped his arm off; Lord Nelyo would then lock him into his highest tower and station guards to the door. Sheer torment: and that was home!

Today, on the twenty-first morning of his captivity, Tyelcano finally felt strong enough not only to fully dress (boots included), but also to walk out to the secluded corner of the King’s Gardens, right under his balcony. He had been there before, once with his favourite healer and twice with Turukáno himself – what neither of them knew, though, was that he had slid a coin into the hinge of the garden gate so it would remain unlocked; and now he was wandering the streets of the City, grateful for his own newfound rebelliousness.

Dawn had already come; but Anor’s fiery glance lingered below the Echoriath still, and most of the city was sleeping. Each of Tyelcano’s steps sent silvery dust whirling into the air, as it would in Tirion; and he felt the weight of long, perilous years settle upon his shoulders as he walked. It did not matter how fully he would heal or how kindly Turukáno would talk to him: nothing would change the fact that he was a prisoner; nor the fact that Lord Nelyo would await him in vain. His message would perhaps never reach the High King, and the Orcs would surely not cease their raids and plundering out of sheer good will alone!

Whatever would happen, he would no longer be a part of it: unseen, he would wither away while the Seven Sons, his lords, his family would fight and bleed.

Thus, Tyelcano felt truly and entirely helpless; and that bred some strange, contemplative sadness in his heart which made it very difficult to keep his mind in the present, or even put one foot in front of the other as he walked. In did not even matter where he walked, in fact; sooner or later, he would reach the bars of this diamond cage, and he would need to turn back.

“Lost, are we?”

The voice was merry and clear, and it reminded him of the Sea, somehow. Glancing up, he realised that he had wandered further from the King’s Tower than he had thought; and he was standing outside the freshly painted gate of “One, Clearwater Alley”. From the other side of the gate, a silver-haired Elf was watching him curiously – he was wearing a pair of riding-breeches and a loose tunic; and his feet were bare.

“More than you think,” said Tyelcano morosely, and he turned away. He was not used to be addressed so freely, especially when he was this clearly averse to company.

Some people, however, could just not take a hint.

“Very sententious,” said the Elf. “Fancy a cup of tea?”

Tyelcano stared at him. “You do not even know who I am, and you would invite me into your home?”

“Why not?” The Elf opened the gate with a click, and leaned comfortably against one of the pillars that supported it. “The weather is fine, my roses are making great progress, and I am bored. Besides – pardon me, but you look like you have just lost your pet in a fire-storm or something.”

After a brief battle with his rather antinomic feelings of vexation and mirth, Tyelcano raised his eyes to meet the other Elf’s. At once, he had understood three things: the first being that the other had seen the light of Valinor as well; the second being that he looked every inch a Teler; and the third being that said Teler could clearly notice the Star of Fëanáro vowen into the soft fabric of his tabard.

“…that is exquisitely polite of you,” he said stiffly, “but I am afraid I cannot accept your invitation.”

“Why?” said the Elf brightly. “Have some very important brooding to do?” When Tyelcano stared at him, aghast, he burst out laughing. “Oh Valar, the look on your face…! Listen to me, Lord Kinslayer: I am not going to poison you, or even offend you – intentionally, that is –, I am merely curious about you. Very much. Everyone in this city talks about you, but no one has actually seen you – much like with Oromë’s white stag in that lay, if you have heard it –, and now that you are here, I shan’t let you slip away. Tea it is!”

“If it is not your intention to offend,” said Tyelcano balefully, “then Lord Kinslayer is not a very fine name to call me.”

“Probably not,” the Teler admitted. “How do I call you, then? I am Anardil of Alqualondë.”

“And I am Lord Tyelcano of Himring from the Household of the Star, Counsellor to Nelyafinwë… although none of that truly matters anymore,” said Tyelcano, his voice grim.

“Well, it is easier to be just Tyelcano, is it not,” said Anardil cheerfully, as he shepherded him inside. Tea was, in fact, ready, and a heap of very inviting slices of warm bread were waiting on the garden table, along with fresh butter and strawberry jam; which gave Tyelcano the strangest impression of dreaming. In what parallel reality could he be joining a Teler for tea…?

And when exactly did he agree to this, either way?

“So,” Anardil said, once they had settled around the table and Tyelcano took his first, measured sip of tea, “there is one question above all I need an answer to: did you truly debate Counsellor Lómion from what everyone else had thought was your deathbed?”

Tyelcano blinked.

“Who is Counsellor Lómion?”

“That is a no, then,” Anardil frowned. “Shame! It would have made a good story.”

“Why would I have to debate anyone?” Tyelcano pressed.

“Oh, well,” said Anardil, “because of Elemmakil, you know.”

“Who?”

The Teler squinted at him. “You would not even care to learn the name of the one who has saved your life?”

“Of course I would!” Tyelcano snapped. “But I remember little, and less. When I first awoke in that large featherbed of Turukáno’s, I thought I was in Tirion. Either that, or the Halls of Mandos. Since then, I have spoken to no one but your King, and the healers.”

“Oh,” said Anardil, “that makes sense. Well, you know, a certain Captain Elemmakil got into quite a bit of trouble for having hunted down the Orcs who were after you. This City is well hidden, and we are forbidden to leave it; yet leave he did, so great was his wrath when he saw what happened to you. He nearly got thrown into the Caragdûr for that.”

“The Caragdûr?”

“Huge open crevasse between sharp rocks,” said Anardil, mouth full of jam. “Can’t miss it.”

“You mean – executed?”

“This side of the mountains, we call it the Law of Secrecy.”

“I see,” said Tyelcano. “So – I take it that this Elemmakil was given mercy, and that mercy, somehow, was attributed to me. I am truly sad to admit that I had no part of it; although if I knew about the matter, I would have probably offered to go in his stead.”

Anardil glanced at him.

“I did not know brooding Noldor could fly.”

“They cannot.” Tyelcano sighed. “Yet, it would make little difference. I cannot go home to Himring, for your City is sealed, and that makes my existence worse than useless. I would have so much to do – and yet I find myself shackled! At least if I went to Mandos, there would be a slight, slight chance to find a way out. Or so they say.”

“All right, I get it,” said Anardil. “You are in a foul mood. And the Law is tough…”

“The Law is just,” said Tyelcano. “Turukáno does whatever is the best for his people: that much I can see, and respect. It is myself I am angry with; if I did not break my leg so foolishly, the Orcs would have never caught us… my companions would not be dead… and I would be on my way home already.”

“On your way to peril,” Anardil reminded him.

“Yes, peril,” said Tyelcano, “and the Seven Sons, who must seem terrible to you; but to me, they are very dear. I helped raise them, as I did with Fëanáro; and I cannot forsake them so easily.”

“I get it,” said the Teler emphatically, “I really do. Sometimes, I miss home as well – the Sea and the wind, that is. Even the seagulls, evil little nuisances as they might be.”

“Are you a mariner, then?”

“I was – until I came here, wounded, and the King took me in. I think he must have been the one to spare the Captain Elemmakil’s life as well; he is a lot less fond of executing people than others; or Counsellor Lómion himself, for that matter.”

“Is it not the King, then, who decides who lives and who dies?” Tyelcano was surprised.

“Not alone,” said Anardil. “There is a Council – with the Twelve Lords of the Twelve Houses, and other guests. They give mazy speeches for hours before doing anything. You see, m’lord, that Council would have gravely punished me as well, if Voronwë had not asked for the King’s pardon on my behalf. And the King, he – he understood me. I imagine he steps in whenever he has to.”

“What did you do?” Tyelcano wanted to know.

“Lied to the Council – I know it was wrong, yet the King was the only one willing to hear why I did it.”

“Well, and why did you do it?”

“Fear,” said Anardil, without the slightest morsel of shame. “I was Sauron’s prisoner for some time, you see, and it is hard to chase the Shadow out of one’s fëa. Perhaps impossible.”

“Fear not,” said Tyelcano softly. “I have seen it happen.”

At that point of their conversation, the door opened, and a lithe, dark-haired Elf walked in, carrying a heap of parchments so high that he barely saw where he stepped.

“Almost ready,” he told Anardil, “and you owe me dinners unmeasured. Now, where is my tea?”

“Say to say, it is being usurped,” said Anardil. “My Melancholic Lordship, I present to you my Constantly Trespassing Neighbour, Pengolodh – who, contrary to what his current attire might suggest, is familiar with the concept of combing his hair.”

“At least I have shoes,” said Pengolodh without the slightest inkling of vexation in his voice, and dropped the scrolls onto the nearest chair. “Are you sure this is a good idea?” He continued warily. “Tarnin Austa is not an occasion for jests – and some verses in the Lay of Arinion are quite… by the Valar!” He exclaimed, as his eyes met Tyelcano’s.

“We all are,” said Anardil dryly. “Always good to be reminded.”

“Anardil,” said Pengolodh exasperatedly, “have you any idea, who this is?”

“Well – I did not, but then he introduced himself.” Anardil waved the kettle. “I was jesting about the tea, you know!”

Reluctant as he was to acknowledge it, Tyelcano had to admit that he was quite amused with this pesky Teler child. Pengolodh, on the other hand, seemed considerably less obnoxious than his friend – for one, he actually bothered to address him in the way his titles warranted.

“My Lord,” he said, bowing deeply, “it is a true honour to meet you. I hope Anardil spared you his accidental, yet grievous insults as yet!”

“I would not say so,” said Tyelcano, “but this breakfast is a redeeming quality.” He hesitated. “Did I hear you mention Tarnin Austa? Quite the subject for your scholarly research.”

“Research?” Anardil stared at his friend in dismay. “I was told there would be a celebration!”

“And there would be one indeed,” said Pengolodh smoothly. “The Gates of Summer are celebrated every year in Ondolindë,” he explained, not without pride, “the way they were in Tirion.”

“The same songs and tales?” Tyelcano stared at him in awe. “The same rituals…?”

“The very same, my Lord.”

“I thought I would never live to see them again,” said Tyelcano softly. Suddenly, the thought of being cast down the Caragdûr did not seem nearly as compelling as before; and his dark mood lifted, and his heart was glad.

“Well, you can come with us and see them for yourself,” said Anardil. “Apparently, the Gondolindrim like to dig up old songs everyone has forgotten about; and we did just that.”

“You did just that,” Pengolodh lamented. “My research was fruitless – our friends specifically requested the Lament for the Ark, and all I could retrieve were the first two verses.”

“Who shall see a white ship – leave the last shore – and all that?” Anardil scratched his head. “Aye, that’s a shame. But everyone will be just as delighted to hear those two verses thrice. The air still lives on. Only the words are forgotten.”

“Turukáno will welcome anything and everything you have reconstructed,” said Tyelcano. “He has quite the enthusiasm for research.”

“Oh,” Pengolodh laughed, “it is not as though we would dwell in the palace, my Lord. We shall celebrate on the walls, like most of the Gondolindrim do.”

“I certainly do not believe that anyone would refuse if I took you with me,” said Tyelcano smoothly. “Will you come?”

“Aye, and a thousand times aye!” Anardil exclaimed. “I believe it would also suitably shatter your Melancholic Lordship’s reputation as a terrible kinslayer if you actually had friends coming with you.”

“Anardil…!” Pengolodh seethed.

Tyelcano turned away; and to his own dismay, he had to fight a rueful smile.

~ § ~

“I have searched for you,” said King Turukáno.

They were standing on the topmost balcony of the Tower of the King; outside, preparations were ready for the most abundant feast Tyelcano had ever seen, and most of the chairs were already occupied as well.

“Forgive me,” he said simply. “I wished to spare your household the grievance of having to provide me company for a walk at the break of dawn; yet it seems that inadvertently, I have caused more turmoil than I have prevented.”

“Just never disappear on me again like that,” said the King gravely; but Tyelcano saw laughter in his eyes. “I take it you are feeling better, then? The last time I visited, you did not seem nearly this… alive, if you pardon my wording.”

“These are difficult times for me, as I am sure you understand,” said Tyelcano. “The Gates of Summer, though, are not something that I am willing to miss; not even for the sake of my own troubled conscience. If you would be so kind to have us, that is.”

“It would be my pleasure,” said the King, “although I must say that I am surprised. I never expected you and Anardil to get along quite so well, and quite so soon.”

“Well, he did not slay me,” said Anardil smugly.

“…which is a wonder in itself,” Tyelcano sighed. “It must have the same explanation as the King letting you roam freely in his City.”

From anyone else, such an insult would have been unbearable indeed; yet coming from Anardil, it sounded unavowably hilarious and cuttingly well-earned at the same time. Tyelcano did feel sorry for Pengolodh, though, who was unnerved by the King’s presence alone, and now winced at every strike of Anardil’s unabashedly playful banter.

“Come, and join us,” said King Turukáno, still smiling.

To Tyelcano, the rest of the evening felt like a dream: sometimes rushing, sometimes frozen into eternity; sometimes merry and at other times, sorrowful; and most of all, full of long-forgotten faces and voices emerging from the depths of time, and springing to existence in front of him. Itarillë ran to him, and kissed his cheek; Galdor and Rog clasped his arm into heartfelt greetings; Voronwë drank to his health; Ecthelion and Laurefindil were introduced to him (although Laurefindil, he might have already met; he was not sure); lords Penlod, Egalmoth, Salgant and Duilin greeted him as well, if not with overwhelming enthusiasm; and Maeglin Lómion, son to the – mysteriously absent – Írissë studied him with barely hidden scrutiny.

As for Anardil and Pengolodh, they proved a delightful company; and Turukáno himself was in a high mood as well. Pleasantly, they feasted the evening away; and although despair was still clawing at Tyelcano’s throat, and he still wished to depart, he could not shut all festivity out of his heart; for he was one of the Firstborn as well, and beneath all the layers of woe and suffering, mirth was still a part of his very nature. His spirits, too, were lifted, when Lómion told them a set of freshly invented riddles that divided the table into several hotly debating groups; he, too, was listening intently when Itarillë told them a tale about the Hounds of Oromë and the sly Fox; and his eyes, too, became misty when Ecthelion took his silver flute, and played an hour away.

Then – as a result of increasingly heated pleading – Pengolodh stood, and took Egalmoth’s lyre, and burst into what he could retrieve of the Lament for the Ark.

Men cenuva fánë cirya
métima hrestallo círa,
i fairi nécë
ringa súmaryassë
ve maiwi yaimië?

Tyelcano suddenly felt as though Vairë had weaved those words into the fabric of his soul – he knew them from times so distant, so ancient that he could not even name them.

Man tiruva fána cirya,
wilwarin wilwa,

ëar-celumessen
rámainen elvië
ëar falastala,
winga hlápula
rámar sisílala,
cálë fifírula?

The rest of the song was lost, but the lyre sang on; and so did Tyelcano’s heart, for that rest had been there all along; and sudden, uncalled-for, the words sprang to his lips.

Man hlaruva rávëa súrë
ve tauri lillassië,
ninqui carcar yarra
isilmë ilcalassë,
isilmë pícalassë,
isilmë lantalassë
ve loicolícuma;
raumo nurrua,
undumë rúma?

And the song went on, and he worded it; and his eyes brimmed with tears as he remembered what once was, and could no longer be; yet his tears were not bitter.

Such had been the evenings of Tarnin Austa in fair Tirion, as well: filled with stories, music and laughter until midnight, when a silent vigil would commence – in Valinor, until Telperion’s fading light would give way to Laurelin’s; and here, until dawn would break beyond the Oroquilta. Then, the whole City would sing ancient songs, and welcome the turn of the season.

A few minutes before midnight, silence fell around the table; and King Turukáno looked at his companions from above his goblet, asking them if they had another song to share.

And Anardil smoothed out his cloak, then stood.

“I have a story to share, my King, my Lords,” he said. “It comes from the Dark-Elves, or more precisely, from the notes my friend, Pengolodh had made about them. It is not nearly as refined or beautiful as your songs, but I think you might like it.”

“Let us hear it!” said Princess Itarillë. “Only then can we judge that.”

And so Anardil took the lyre from his friend, and sang of a long-forgotten Hero, one named Arinion, who was a prince in the realm of Intyalë – and then came a moment when Tyelcano’s blood froze in his veins.

For Anardil sang,

“On blood-steeped soil he lay,
above him crows sang shrill
and no other sound was heard
atop the lonely hill;
he crawled on hands an’ knees
as one crawls on cruel ice
and ‘re was no gentle breeze
to blow his hair from his eyes.
Moved Arinion’s mouth:
“All flowers shall wither”
no voice escaped his lungs
and no-one came thither;
“In sorrow it has started,
in sorrow it must end!”
Alas! his strength was gone
his voice, gone with the wind.”

And he went on,

“And the night was passing,
yet another came to loom;
so black, blacker than ink
so black, blacker than doom;
many years would he wonder
many years would he hope
yet he would not find his way!
for the mountains were cold;
for the windy slopes were high
the peaks icy and cold
and he had no voice to shout
his heart empty and cold.”

And still,

“And in starlight he walked
draping himself in clouds
in cavern’s shade he hid
in breaches he lay down;
and on he wandered still
and on he wandered more
yet to dead end he came:
for the Gates, the Gates were closed.”

For a fleeting, terrible moment, Tyelcano’s eyes met the King’s above the table; and he knew with utter certainty that they were thinking about the exact same thing: the dreams.

Turukáno was seeing the dreams!

The realization was so staggering, so immense that he could not even put it into conscious thought; all he could do was stare at the King, and endure his all-knowing gaze in return.

At the other side of the table, Ecthelion and Laurefindil exchanged a swift glance; and Tyelcano knew that they had understood a lot more than he would have liked.

“So,” said Anardil cheerfully, “was that any good?”

“Most enlightening,” said the King, an epitome of composure. “We thank you for it. Yet now, it is past midnight; and thus, the time for our vigil has come.”

We will talk later, his eyes said; and Tyelcano sank into deep thought.


Chapter End Notes

AUTHOR’S NOTES

- Tarnin Austa, or ‘The Gates of Summer’ is a traditional celebration in Gondolin. There is no mention of it ever being celebrated in Valinor, but I thought I would attribute it to Turgon’s obsession with ancient rites – so that particular detail is a headcanon!

- Chapters 12-22 still need major revision; it is possible that ‘He Who Walks in Starlight’ will include less of the Lay of Arinion, so it wouldn’t become repetitive.

- Pengolodh’s song is an excerpt from the Professor’s poem, ‘Markirya’, which is so wonderful that I just HAD TO include it. Translation:

Who shall see a white ship / leave the last shore, / the pale phantoms / in her cold bosom / like gulls wailing?

Who shall heed a white ship, / vague as a butterfly, / in the flowing sea / on wings like stars, / the sea surging, / the foam blowing, / the wings shining, / the light fading?

Who shall hear the wind roaring / like leaves of forests; / the white rocks snarling / in the moon gleaming, / in the moon waning, / in the moon falling / a corpse-candle; / the storm mumbling, / the abyss moving?

Faith and Fallacies

More secrets are uncovered, and a certain Teler lord has yet another trick up his sleeve.

Read Faith and Fallacies

The celebrations were over, the morning light was piercing and cheerful, and Summer had come. The Gondolindrim had left their vigil on the city walls and gone to rest, or enjoyed a rich breakfast; and silence reigned in the Tower of the King. The only sounds came from the study-room; for the King and the five lords that sat around the table were still profoundly engaged in their debate.

According to Tyelcano, the experience was about as pleasant as getting stuck between five different groups of enemy archers.

“So,” said King Turukáno measuredly, “both you and my brother… and Laurefindil…”

“And Nelyafinwë,” said Tyelcano. “That is why he sent me to Barad Eithel: so I would tell Findekáno. He could not go himself, and I was the only one to share his secret; yet alas! I have now broken my promise to keep it. Still, I believe you must know.”

“Indeed,” said Turukáno. “I have not told anyone about these visions myself, which, I am now tempted to think, was a short-sighted decision. Have you, Laurefindil?”

“He told me,” said Ecthelion, “and long since regretted it, for I would not stop pestering him. Had I not dragged him here, he would not sit with us this morn, either.”

“I can speak for myself, thank you very much,” the Lord of the Golden Flower quipped; but he looked at his friend with fondness.

“And no other son of Fëanáro sees these – visions, whatever they are?” King Turukáno pressed.

“Not that I know of,” said Tyelcano solemnly. “If Makalaurë had nightmares, he would sing about them; Tyelkormo and the twins would ride out in haste to find where they take place; Carnistir would dismiss them, saying that he had ate too much cheese for dinner; and Curufinwë would be certain that his visions shall change the course of the world; and therefore, he would cry them from the top of the Himring.”

“But Nelyafinwë would tell naught: not to anyone, but his most faithful servant…” Turukáno shook his head. “It is strange to me that he would rather stay silent, same as I did. Because I do believe you coaxed it out of him.”

Tyelcano bowed his head. “You have always been an excellent judge of character.”

“And what did he say?

The counsellor closed his eyes for a moment, fighting his unease over revealing even more details of his lord’s secret; but when he spoke, his voice did not quiver.

“Lord Nelyafinwë thinks the dreams speak of an inevitable doom,” he said, “and I thought that they served as a warning: that we could still avoid their unfolding, if only we understood what they told us. According to the words of his messenger, your brother agrees with me.”

“So Findekáno wrote no letter, either,” Ecthelion cut in. “Why is that? Is Beleriand so unsafe now that the messages of its King would not reach their destination?”

“Alas, it truly is,” said Tyelcano. “Is my journey not proof enough? My companions were slaughtered like pigs.”

“They were avenged at a terrible price,” said Lómion, who had not spoken since the start of their vigil; and now that he did, his voice was hoarse. “Our City has almost been discovered because of the wrath their deaths had roused.”

“Yet by your wisdom, one life was saved, at least,” said Tyelcano. “For that, you bear my gratitude. It would have caused me great grief, had Captain Elemmakil of the Gates helped me in a time of great need, and died for it.”

He made no attempt to blunt the edge of his voice. From the corner of his eye, he saw Ecthelion and Laurefindil exchange a swift glance; but Lómion only bowed his head.

“I am glad I changed my mind,” he said smoothly, “though neither the Council nor the King would have made such a decision based on my word alone. I do not have such power. Have you?”

“Whenever my lord grants it,” said Tyelcano against his better judgement. There was something about this young Elf that unnerved him – he was tall and slender like Itarillë, of whom no one would speak in the King’s household; yet still terribly different.

“Counsellor,” said Laurefindil abruptly, “you said that you thought the dreams served as a warning… past tense. What made you change your mind?”

“Nothing.” Tyelcano raised his eyes to meet the Captain’s, his glance intent and piercing. “My dreams have come true. I had dreamed about being assaulted in the wastelands, about my wounds, about the fight… and then, about the gates of this city opening before me and your King treating me with kindness. Now, for purposes still unknown to me, I am here; and my dreams have ceased. Alas, burdened I am with the knowledge that if my visions have indeed come to be, then so will those of my lord beloved!”

“What dreams has he?” King Turukáno demanded.

“The same voice is speaking to him,” said Tyelcano, “yet what he sees is different. That might be true for all of us, in fact: my theory was that the lord’s dreams shall only make sense together with mine and Findekáno’s, but it may as well be that all of our dreams are thus connected. Lord Nelyafinwë saw a great battlefield in his dreams, with corpses everywhere. Some other times, he flew over Tirion, draped in the light of moon, which he told me was impossible, unless…”

Tyelcano’s voice faltered.

Suddenly, the answer was in his head.

“Unless?” said King Turukáno warily.

Tyelcano looked him in the eye. “When I first woke up after my rescue,” he said, “I thought that the Darkening of Valinórë and all our exile was no more than a terrible dream. I thought I was back in Formenos, or Tirion itself, in the halls of the Great Palace. This city is a true wonder, a remnant of what our lives had once been, and what they could still be if not for the vices of Moringotto. What if my lord saw Ondolindë in these dreams, and not Tirion? If I mistook this city for the Blessed Realm itself, then so could he.”

“That is certainly a possibility,” said Voronwë Aranwion, who had been silent for so long Tyelcano had almost forgotten he was still in the room, “although it cannot truly happen. The only way Nelyafinwë could come here was if the Eagles carried him; and if they did, he could not leave the City, either, for so goes the Law.”

“Pray that the day never comes,” said Lómion, “for the sake of us all. Surely, the eldest son of Fëanáro would have no regard for such little things as laws.”

“Pray indeed,” said Tyelcano, before he could restrain himself, “for the word freedom holds grave meaning for one who had cast away the chains of Angamando; and without whom you would have no kin alive outside these walls to worry about. Alas! on the day my Lord sets foot in here, child, you might even learn some humility.”

Lómion’s face darkened – but whatever snide remark had been lingering on his tongue, he swallowed it when he saw his uncle’s expression.

“For that, you will apologize,” said Turukáno. “I will not see my cousin’s name besmirched any further than the horrors of the past already have. He is the bitterest enemy of the Dark One who still walks his lands; and whatever ill news you might have heard of his brothers do not extend to him.”

“Do you know, then, of the deeds of Beren and Lúthien?” Tyelcano asked, bewildered. “How?”

“The Eagles,” said Laurefindil. “Sorontar himself brought the news. Are they true? Is there a Silmaril in Doriath?”

After a moment’s hesitation, Tyelcano nodded.

“And what we have heard about Tyelkormo and Curufinwë,” Voronwë added gravely, “is that true as well?”

“I cannot know what you have heard,” said Tyelcano with dignity. “News travel fast; and rumours faster.”

That was particularly weak, even for a mockery of an explanation, and he knew it.

Slowly, he turned away from the others and walked out to the balcony, his eyes fixed on the icy peaks of the Oroquilta over the gleaming city; and he felt the sudden – and quite ridiculous – desire to grow wings, and ride the winds of Manwë to his remote homeland in the East, and see his kinsmen again.

“To say that my lord was displeased would be an understatement,” he said at length, when he could no longer bear the scrutinizing gazes on his back. “Both Tyelkormo and Curufinwë were punished, and gravely.”

Turukáno stood next to him, and held his shoulder. “And they accepted the punishment?”

“I made them,” said Tyelcano.

“He made them!” Voronwë exclaimed. “Of what metal have the Valar forged you, Counsellor?”

“Everything I did, I did for Lord Nelyo,” said Tyelcano sharply, “and that is my last word.”

The name, so rarely used, sprang freely from his lips; but before he could have mulled over the degree of its inappropriateness, a large stone vase toppled over at the far edge of the balcony, flooding the floor with dirt. Where it once stood, Tyelcano glimpsed the slouched figure of Anardil, swearing in muffled Telerin.

“You!” He exclaimed, ready to unleash his pent-up frustration on the first possible target. “I did not bring you here to listen to my private conversations!”

“With all due respect, My Melancholic Lordship,” said Anardil, a bit faintly, “I am here to listen to my King’s private conversations, and not yours.”

“And how that is any better?!” Voronwë cut in dangerously. “Has your life been spared for naught? Have you truly learned nothing in the past few weeks?”

“I have learned my lesson about lying, thank you very much,” said Anardil, “or else I would have tried to convince you of my latest ambitions to become a royal gardener.”

“Unbelievable!” Lómion joined the choir of indignation. “You do not know how lucky you are to have earned the King’s forgiveness, outsider. If I lack humility, then what is it that you lack?”

“Manners, I would say,” said Tyelcano, “and cadence. So I should have expected.”

But King Turukáno himself did not seem wrathful; he watched Anardil with great bewilderment instead.

“It would indeed seem that there is another lesson in order for you, my friend,” he said. “About eavesdropping – or, at least, that is what I would say if I did not suspect that you had reason enough to do what you did.”

“Finally, someone with an ounce of sense!” Anardil sighed. “I mean,” he added quickly, “clearly more than an ounce. Ounces unmeasured, sire.”

“You shall not jest your way out of this,” said Turukáno, his eyes gleaming. “Speak!”

“Remember when we finished that excellent wine? Highness?” Said the Teler, his voice suddenly cautious. “We were standing out here, right here, and you told me something. All flowers shall wither, you said. I recognized those words, along with others I have heard in my dreams. And for – for some unfathomable reason, I was sure that you shared them, sire. I wanted you to hear my song so we could talk about it, and the Gates of Summer provided a better excuse than I could have ever devised myself.”

“You could have simply told me,” said the King. “Or asked.”

“And would you have answered?” Anardil tilted his head. “It would not have been wise. You had no reason to trust me, and neither had Captain Laurefindil or Lord Melancholy here.”

“Nor have they now!” said Lómion. “Or any of us!”

“Despise me all you like, but never let that hinder your judgement!” Anardil sighed. “What reason could I have to wish ill upon this City? I live in it! Yes, cundu Lómion – I live here now, whether you like it or not, and that puts us in the same fishnet, as my late father used to say. I wish the best for each and every one of you, out of mere solidarity – but not for our King. For him, I wish the best because he has been kinder to me than anyone else in a long time; and if I shall ever be free from what happened to me in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, it will be thanks to him.”

“Still, you spy on him,” Lómion quipped, “and you scour his secrets instead of offering your service.”

“Of course I do!” Anardil crossed his arms, and for once, he seemed truly enraged. “I have no power here. Do you think I do not know why you, all of you, berate me so? You think of me as a thrall, a despicable creature broken by the Enemy’s malice; and whatever I do, you shan’t ever trust me because you see no further than your nose! I have no reputation to lose; and because of that, I find that I might as well try and be effective.”

“That was particularly ill said in the presence of one who is servant to Nelyafinwë,” said Voronwë, “and yet, there is truth in it. Galdor was right: we have indeed brought something back from our journey with us. Something fey, something dangerous. Doubt.”

“Nay,” said Laurefindil. “The Eagles bought the news that perturbed us so. Everything that happened since then is nothing short of inevitable. I have said this once and I shall say it again: we cannot hide here for ever! The Black Hand creeps ever closer to this safe haven of ours, groping, searching; and one day, it shall have its prize.”

“And that day, we should be ready to bite it,” Ecthelion nodded.

“And there we are again!” Lómion sighed. “My lords, your doubts are nothing if not serious, and concerning. Truly! Still, we cannot go blindly after an invisible threat. Dark and perilous times are coming – yet would it not be wiser to arm ourselves before we face them, with the help of these dreams if we have to? No blade is sharper than that of unbiased knowledge.”

“…says the one who would have cast me down the Caragdûr if given the chance!” Anardil snapped. “So much for unbiased knowledge.”

“Anardil of the Falmari,” said Tyelcano, his voice calm as a mountain lake, “for years uncounted, I have been Counsellor to lords who cannot hold their tongues. It is based upon that experience that I suggest you return to the topic of your dreams right now, before you say something else you will regret. The same is true for the rest of you,” he added dangerously, giving both Lómion and Ecthelion what he hoped was a very cold stare. “I prefer to be left under the impression that I am taking a break from home.”

“The Counsellor is right, my friends,” said King Turukáno, his eyes gleaming with barely concealed amusement. “Let us not search for enemies where there are none.”

“I did not mean to be rude,” said Lómion with an effort. “Everything I said, I said out of well-meaning concern.”

“And I, out of exasperation, which is inacceptable,” Tyelcano nodded. “You must truly excuse me as well. I am not truly myself as yet.”

Exasperation, however, was not even close to what he truly felt; keen interest would have hit much closer to the mark. It seemed that the debate he had been thrown into had started weeks, if not months before; and it did not truly concern the dreams anymore, but the current state of Beleriand, and what the Lords of Ondolindë were willing – or unwilling – to do about it. To Tyelcano, it seemed that Ecthelion and Laurefindil were a lot less eager to stay idle in this diamond cage than the rest of the lords, especially Lómion. He also noticed that no one seemed to trust, or even truly like Anardil; no one but perhaps the King, who listened with great interest as he described his dreams.

“I hear the same voice as apparently everyone else,” Anardil said, “and I crawl slowly through a battlefield, like most. Some great Shadow moves in front of me, like a giant serpent made of ashes and smoke; and there is a deep, rumbling sound coming from below me, from under the earth. I make my way slowly and perilously through the desolation, and that is when I glimpse it: a hill in the middle of the wastelands. A hill of corpses, mouth gaping, armour eaten by rust. And still, grass grows on top of the hill, and the Shadow touches it not. All flowers shall wither, says the voice, and then – well, then, just the usual.”

“Which is?” Lómion raised an eyebrow.

“I dream myself back in my cell,” said Anardil sharply. “I highly doubt that would carry any otherworldly significance.”

“A hill of corpses, you said?” King Turukáno’s voice was light, almost casual. “Interesting. I see the same thing – nothing else, only the hill of the dead. I also hear the scream of crows, and the Voice. I climb the hill, looking for something – someone – but I do not know whom, and the faces of the dead turn to ash as I search among them. My dreams feel as though they would go on for hours; yet whenever I wake from them, dawn is always far.”

“Then,” said Lómion, “ultimately, there is only one thing that truly connects these dreams; and that is the Voice.”

“Everything is connected,” said Laurefindil. “It is the same battlefield we see; the same crows we hear; the same corpses we smell. We carry shards of a different doom, which we must evade.”

“You do not know that!” said Lómion. “You think it, and perhaps rightfully so; but you should never be certain. There is no way to know that you are indeed seeing the same things.”

“Paint,” said Tyelcano absently.

Lómion stared at him. “Pardon me?”

“We could paint pictures of what we saw,” said Tyelcano. “I cannot claim to possess extraordinary artistic talent, but I think I should manage a few crows. We will look at the colours, the shapes – and then we shall know.”

“…and here it is!” said Anardil with enthusiasm. “The first sensible idea today. When do we start?”

“Soon,” said King Turukáno, resolute. “The vigil, however, was long; and I must clear my head. I shall expect you here at nightfall.”

~ § ~

“I have a question for you,” said Tyelcano cautiously.

They were walking through the King’s gardens, towards the gate. The air smelled sweet, and the shade under the trees was tempting; but their steps did not falter.

“Why pretend you need a permission?” said Anardil. “Sooner or later, you lords always have your way.”

Tyelcano tilted his head. “You kicked that vase over on purpose, did you not?”

“Does it matter?”

“You knew that everyone would berate you, that Lómion’s wrath would once again turn against you, and still you did it. For your King.”

Anardil turned around, and looked at him.

“I think,” he said, “that the lengths we would both go to save the ones we value are somewhat concerning.”

Tyelcano hid his bewilderment. “What do you mean by that?”

“I do not know yet; not really,” said Anardil. He seemed to battle himself for a few moments, then he turned away from Tyelcano again, staring at the snowy mountains over the city. “You want to get out of here, am I right?”

“Obviously.”

“Obviously,” Anardil echoed. “The sole question is, what are you willing to do for it?”

“I cannot do anything,” said Tyelcano warily. “The Gates are closed.”

And will you open them, the echo of the Voice whispered in his ear, or will you let the world wither?

Anardil looked at him as if he had read his thoughts.

“You told Voronwë yourself,” he said. “Everything you do, you do it for Nelyafinwë. I am not stupid enough to think that would ever change; and kindly and wise as you might seem, I trust you not. I have already seen what the followers of the Star can do for their lords.”

Tyelcano felt a hot flash of indignation; but then, he remembered Alqualondë and Losgar, the blood and the flames, and his anger subsided.

“I have known your King since he was a child,” he said softly, “and so I knew his father, and the father of his father. I would never willingly push him into peril. I would never scheme behind his back – I might never even need to do so. If these dreams can be trusted, I was meant to come here; and perhaps I am never to leave. I cannot know that.”

“Again, the carefully crafted words,” said Anardil. “The cool surface, without a single ripple. But who knows what is under that surface?”

“Grief, if you must know,” said Tyelcano, “and impatience. What shall you have me say? That I miss my home? That I fear for my lord Nelyafinwë and his brothers? That I would much rather be out there, alone in the wilderness with Orcs about than here in this city, with all its peace and prosperity? None of these is a secret. Yet, if any willing servant of any other lord was in my stead, they would most probably feel the same. I am truly no exception; and nor should you treat me like one.”

“I wish I could believe you,” said Anardil. His eyes were still on the mountains, gleaming, sincere. “You know, you are rather all right for a kinslayer.”


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

Sorontar is Quenya for Thorondor.

The role of the Lay of Arinion has slightly changed in the story; the changes will be made clear in the upcoming, corrected versions of ‘A Practical Arrangement’ and ‘He Who Walks in Starlight’.

The Wrath of Maedhros

Fingon comes to the Himring, and hell breaks loose.

Read The Wrath of Maedhros

His twin brothers were waiting for him near the gate, stern and graceful like statues. Even their horses refused to graze; used as they were to the thick, green sward of southern meadows, Maedhros suspected that what grass grew in Himlad’s hills was too scarce, too dry for their taste.

Thirty scouts were surrounding the Ambarussar. Maedhros had chosen them himself as soon as he had returned from Belegost, and with great care; twenty from amongst the Noldor and ten from amongst the Edain, all brave, fierce, seasoned – and trusted.

“Good morn, Nelyo,” Amrod greeted him as he approached. Amras, in the meantime, hardly even seemed to be aware of his presence; his fingers played idly with the mane of his stallion.

“Good morn,” said Maedhros lightly. “Everything settled?"

“Aye,” said Amrod, “if such is possible.”

“I would rather not assume that everything will go flawlessly,” Maedhros admitted, “but I do believe fairly well is a reachable option.”

“Meaning, the Moriquendi not having our heads?” Amrod laughed.

“They would not dare,” said Maedhros. “And you stand a better chance than either myself or anyone else in the family. I trust you, both of you!”

“Thingol will not send aid,” said Amras softly.

“...and going to Menegroth is a waste of time, for he might not even let you in his forest. I know. I do not ask you to convince Elwë Singollo, for he is determined to see us as a haughty, overweening people who would celebrate his downfall. Still, if by chance, you reach his halls, you might be able to heal some old wounds.”

“Yet by your command, Nargothrond must come first,” said Amras. “Tyelpë and Erenis. What if they turn their heads when we meet?”

“Then turn their heads they will,” said Maedhros. “You must try, nevertheless.”

“We shall,” said Amrod gravely.

“That is the most important part of your mission, truly,” Maedhros sighed. “I do not expect Artaresto to see further than his own thirst for vengeance, and even less to help us in the Marches; and I have no such hope in Doriath, either. Still, do not despair! Our strength will grow with time. You must not let the gloomy halls and brusque manners of the Moriquendi discourage you.”

“Never,” Amrod smiled at him.

“We shan’t have the time,” Amras quipped.

“Then I wish you all the luck in this world and beyond,” said Maedhros. “May you return with good tidings, Tyelpë and Erenis! And an army of woodelves, of course,” he added good-humouredly.

Musing, he watched as the gates were opened and the Ambarussar rode out amongst his best spearmen. He despised the thought of them leaving, but Elwë Singollo had to be parleyed with; and neither himself, nor any of his other brothers seemed fit for the task.

“Good to have you back, Nelyo,” called Caranthir’s booming voice behind his back. “If you are the one to say so, I am almost tempted to believe they will succeed.”

“I am not counting on what you would call success,” said Maedhros. “That, however, is not something I could say while your peery-faced Easterlings listened.”

“And the reason for your distrust…?” Caranthir raised an eyebrow. “Strange accent? Rounded ears?”

“No reason – for now, at least,” said Maedhros. “When my Counsellor returns, I will have him spend time with Ulfang and his sons so he can get to know them.”

“As you wish,” said Caranthir. “All I am saying is that I have fought with these Men. They are fierce, and loyal as a hound if you are also loyal to them.”

Maedhros looked away. “That parallel has lost some of its power lately, has it not?”

“Right you are!” Caranthir smiled ruefully. “Still, I do not think that Tyelcano would fully understand these Men. He will call them crude and insensitive, while they are, in truth, neither. Surely, they are nothing like the Edain in Findekáno’s service, but that makes me sympathize with them even more. They come from the Darkness, but they did not flee from it: proudly they marched away, ready to gain back what was once theirs.”

“A homeland they lost?” Maedhros guessed.

“Aye, for one. Many lost their families as well: young mourn their ancestors and old mourn their descendants. They seek vengeance, and the fire in their hearts could be easily kindled. I have been through a lot with their leaders – and believe me, my trust was not easy to earn. Let them prove their loyalty to you the way they did to me!”

“I hear you, brother,” said Maedhros. “The chance shall be given: let us hope they use it well.”

As they both looked down from the high castle wall, wind rose in the north, and their hair, raven and copper, mingled in its rush. Anor peeped out from behind a veil of clouds, and draped the plains below in clear morning light; and all of a sudden, Maedhros felt incredibly alive.

And he narrowed his eyes.

“Will you spar with me, Moryo?”

“No hits and bruises today, thank you,” his brother groaned; but Maedhros would not give up so easily. Not today – not when the Sun was this bright, the world this beautiful, the hope this new and shy in his heart.

“…afraid, are we?”

“I am not afraid,” said Caranthir balefully.

“Nevertheless,” said Maedhros, “you are slow. Painfully –”

He jerked forward and grabbed the pommel of his brother’s sword.

“ – slow!”

He pulled the sword from its scabbard and spun around to evade Caranthir’s angry counter-attack. Then, he disappeared behind the nearest bastion.

“I shan’t go easy on you!”

Maedhros rushed down the stairs and out to the guard-posts. By the time he reached the edge of the wall, Caranthir was already in his heels, pursuing him with a lance he must have taken from a guard. Maedhros counted three heartbeats, then spun around, sword in hand, ready to clash against the long lance.

Fighting, they stormed along the bastion wall, down some more stairs, across the gardens, around the stables, and out to the fields. Throwing playful insults at each other, they were lost in the graceful dance that was sparring.

Maedhros did not see his chance when it came. His instincts reacted instead, barely within control; and he smote the spear-shaft with his brother’s sword, breaking it in two.

“All right, all right,” said Caranthir. “You win.”

“I always win.”

“Aye, you always win the... chivalrous part of a fight.”

“And what part comes now?” Maedhros asked, baffled. Were they to fight with their daggers? Or perhaps with their fists? That would not be chivalrous indeed…

With an evil smile, his brother kicked his legs out from below him; and before he could think of a counter-attack, he was thrown on the ground, his shoulders grabbed and his knees blocked.

“Now,” said Caranthir, obviously pleased with himself, “comes the part when the Warden of the East will be tickled to death.”

“Oh, no you shan’t!”

“Doubt me, do you?”

“You would not dare – most childish – stop – I said, sto – CARNISTIR!”

That was the end of it. Maedhros could not bear it any longer; and he burst out laughing. He laughed, and laughed until tears welled in his eyes; and Caranthir tickled him most thoroughly and mercilessly, the way he would when they were children. How did that silly game of theirs emerge from the depths of time, Maedhros did not know; and he did not care, either. It was good to be tickled, good to be slammed to the ground, his hair full of grass, his boots filled with dirt, deprived of all kinds of lordly dignity.

Eventually, Caranthir let his guard down, and Maedhros could tickle him on his turn; but his brother was tough and fierce as ever, and he fought hard against his half-handed assaults. And then came a time when they sought peace, and laid down in the grass next to each other, watching Anor and the clouds as they journeyed in the skies.

“Hantanye, aranya,” said Caranthir suddenly; and their moment of peace ended.

“I am king no longer,” said Maedhros. The ground was hard and dry under his back; it needed rain, and perhaps tending. “And you have nothing to thank me.”

“Yes, I do. You give us all something to fight for. You...” Caranthir swallowed. “You know, I used to think that Moringotto’s biggest enemies were the Valar; and that it was the tragedy of our lives that they would do naught against his malice. And I was wrong. It is not the wrath of Manwë Moringotto should fear, Nelyo, but yours.”

“You do not know what you speak of,” said Maedhros sharply. He got on his feet and dusted his cloak off, carefully avoiding his brother’s eyes. “None of you know.”

“Here it comes again,” Caranthir sighed. “The spree of false modesty. Our Father got rash and fearless in his brilliance, and you think that beyond your naturally earth-bound way of thinking, you must as well learn the additional humility that could have saved him. Do not lie to my face! I stood with you in the Flames, Nelyo, as did Tyelcano and the rest of your household. We saw you save what could be saved of Beleriand. We all know what you are capable of; pity enough that you keep forgetting it yourself!”**

As if to seal that phrase, they felt light pounding under their feet, which soon became a sound: the approaching, unmistakeable clatter of hooves.

“Someone is coming,” said Maedhros, immediately wishing he had swallowed the unnecessary statement. “I hope it is Kano – you have not heard from him in two weeks, you said?”

“That is no news,” Caranthir shrugged, “and I shan’t poke my nose into his business until I am forced to do so. That, he cannot suffer.”

“Sometimes, he must.”

“Then rather be it your nose then mine!” His brother laughed. “Now, look: I believe those are your banners.”

Maedhros turned away from the view of the castle walls, and towards the sea of Himlad’s grass, to watch the approaching riders. They carried the blazon of the Star indeed, bright golden in a blood-red field: his own colours – and yet, the horses seemed vaguely unfamiliar, and the riders were clad in blue with their hauberks gleaming silver.

“Now that is what I call business,” said Caranthir. “You send five scouts, you gain – sixty, seventy-five, eighty-two… for the Stars of Varda, how many are there?”

“Everyone will be housed,” said Maedhros, although he could not care less about that detail at the moment. “Yet, I wonder…”

“Lord Warden,” called Captain Tulcestelmo’s voice from the wall. “Were we expecting this many –”

“Obviously not,” said Caranthir. “Fear not, Master Curufinwë shall have two new wings built to the castle overnight.”

But Maedhros paid little heed to them. His eyes wandered further still, to the end of the troop, where another banner was flapping proudly in the rising wind: a white star upon a silvery blue field, in a crown of golden flames.

“Captain,” he said sharply, “is Silmatal still saddled?”

“I believe so,” said Tulcestelmo. “My Lord, do you not wish to –”

“Then bring him. Now! I want answers, and I shan’t waste a second waiting for them.”

“Bring me a horse, too,” said Caranthir. “I should dearly like to call Tyelcano out on his newfound pompousness. One hundred and twenty, Nelyo. I have marched against armies with that many swords.”

“Every time we meet, I am genuinely surprised that you are still alive,” said Maedhros fondly.

He paced restlessly along the castle wall until Tulcestelmo reappeared with Silmatal and the giant black war-horse that had carried Caranthir through Beleriand, and he nudged his horse into a gallop as soon as he pulled himself into the saddle. His brother was up for the challenge; the wind whispered in their ears as they raced their horses down the stone-path that led to the Hill of Himring.

Leading the line of newcomers was Gildor Inglorion, clad in the colours of the High King; and he greeted them with his usual courtesy.

“You took your time,” said Maedhros. “If I had time to worry, I would have by now.”

“There are many tidings you have yet to hear, Lord Warden,” said Gildor solemnly. “I hope some of them shall bring you solace.”

“Do you carry a message from my cousin?” Maedhros demanded. “Then speak! And waste my time no longer.”

“I carry no such thing, my lord,” said Gildor, “for His Highness carries it himself.”

“Wha–”

“Now truly!” Caranthir rolled his eyes. “You should have at least sent a vanguard so we could hide the bodies.”

“Why?” Maedhros’s voice was stern, commanding. “Why is he here? Something has gone wrong, has it not?”

“Lord Warden…”

“Why is Findekáno here?”

“Ask me no more, I beg you!” Said Gildor, rather faintly for one of his rank. “It is my King’s command to keep my silence.”

Maedhros spurred his horse without a single word and stormed down the paved road, tearing across the troop of newcomers. Grass-stains coloured his garments after his fight with Caranthir, and a twig was stuck in his hair; yet graceful he was in his haste, and mighty in his fury.

His cousin was waiting for him and the end of the long line; his clothes were simple, his sword naked and sharpened, the ribbons braided in his hair gleaming with a cheerful, golden light. The sole – yet unmistakeable – novelty in his appearance was the crown: the very same circlet of silver that had drawn a silent wedge between them ever since Nolofinwë had been slain.

On Fingon’s right rode young Antalossë, thinner and paler than before, with an ugly scar running down the side of his neck. When Maedhros looked at him, he bowed his head without a single word.

“Findekáno,” Maedhros told what must have been the clumsiest greetings in his entire life.

“Maitimo,” said Fingon, his voice strangely aloof. “How nice to meet you again, and see nothing on fire!”*

“For now,” said Maedhros.

Fingon clasped his arm in a heartfelt greeting, and they embraced like brothers, not caring that others saw them; and those few heartbeats of long-desired closeness were enough for Maedhros to understand that something was amiss.

“Well met, cousin,” said Caranthir, as he turned his horse’s head back towards the Himring. “Next time you plan to flood us with a kingly escort, do send a pigeon. Or a crow.”

At the mention of crows, Maedhros and Fingon looked swiftly away from each other; and Caranthir crossed his arms.

“All right,” he said, “speed this up, shall we? Just tell me who died.”

“No one as yet,” said Maedhros, “yet I fear it is only a matter of time. There are many things we must speak of, many things that can barely wait any longer; but until then… truly, I did not think I would live to see the day when my Counsellor greets me not. Where is he?”

He was met with silent stares over the soft whispers of wind, and a deep, shuddering breath that Antalossë did not manage to hold in; but he only had eyes for the momentary, fleeting expression of despair on his cousin’s face.

“My Counsellor, Findekáno,” said Maedhros slowly, balefully. “Where is he?”

~ § ~ § ~ § ~

The welcoming feast to celebrate the unexpected arrival of the High King was without any doubt the shortest and grimmest of gatherings the Himring had ever seen. Maedhros seated Fingon in his own chair at the upper end of the table, and sat on his right. Caranthir remained by his side, and Curufin at the other side of the table; but Tyelcano’s usual seat, on Fingon’s left, remained gapingly empty.

Maedhros stared adamantly at the table-top whilst the others emptied their plates around him, fighting the constant, low-burning desire to get up and start destroying the furniture, breaking the windows or setting something on fire. The flames of his fury sprang high, then hissed, then subsided; and his heart went heavy with grief.

“Maitimo,” said his cousin softly. “Eat.”

Maedhros closed his eyes for a moment. “Lunch was enough.”

“Yesterday’s lunch, you mean,” came Caranthir’s betrayal from his right. “If your Counsellor was here, he would also tell you to eat your damned soup.”

“Politely,” said Curufin.

“I am not hungry!” Maedhros snapped. “And even if I was, I could not just eat, while… I could not! We have more important things to do, either way.”

“This was a long day,” said Caranthir, his voice unbearably – and uncharacteristically – soft. “Find some rest. Whatever you two are hiding from me, you can tell me tomorrow.”

Curufin’s face darkened.

“Say no more,” he quipped, “I can take a hint. You shall have to bear with my presence no longer.”

“How can you make even this about yourself?!” Caranthir groaned. “You cannot think –”

“Shut your mouth, Moryo, before I stuff it with a sledgehammer,” said Curufin, “and let me take my leave with what dignity I can scrape off this so-called high table.” Brusquely, he bowed his head towards Fingon. “Do enjoy your stay,” he added, and with that, he was gone.

Silence brooded over the table once more; in stretched on for a full minute before Caranthir slammed his cup on the table.

“What in Moringotto’s sorry hell is going on here? Nelyo, you shan’t even rebuke Curvo? Finno, you shan’t even ask what was that all about…?!”

“The question asks itself,” said Fingon slowly, “although I am fairly confident that whatever happened, is closely connected to the ridiculous myth of the stolen Silmaril of Doriath.”

“It is no myth,” said Maedhros hoarsely. “Thingol has it.”

“Pity we do not have his daughter,” Caranthir nodded.

“I am going to pretend you never said that,” said Fingon lightly.

“Why? We would give her a nice airy suite, write a few angry letters, get back what is ours without bloodshed and live in peaceful prosperity for the rest of this Age.”

“And according to what the minstrels sing,” said Fingon, “she would break down these walls and your peaceful prosperity would remain what it is – wishful thinking. I did not believe a single word of those tales; but if you tell me it is true…”

“You stare at me like Tyelpe and Erenis would,” said Caranthir. “Be at peace, Findekáno! We shall not march against Doriath, although Thingol is a thief, and it would teach him a valuable lesson about the Lords of the West. Still, we hate Moringotto a little more than him; or at least, I do – I cannot speak for Curufinwë, you see. Yet even if I wished to tear Menegroth down to rubble with my nails and teeth, I could not; for Nelyo, in his dramatic wisdom, had forbidden it.”

“What shall you do, then?” Fingon crossed his arms. “Surely, Thingol will not part with the Jewel, not until he blackmailed you out of your wealth. He knows what you have sworn, and he is willing to use that knowledge.”

“Aye,” said Caranthir, “which is why we are going after the other two Jewels, and the Enemy himself. If we get those two back, who could stand before us? Who could refuse the saviours of Beleriand? That is the master plan, you see; and I daresay I like it more than marching against the Moriquendi. Whether they are more or less annoying than Orcs is up to discussion.”

A smile rushed through Fingon’s face. “And what about Curufinwë?”

Caranthir’s sigh was like a smith’s bellows.

“Things went badly,” he said, “and he made them worse still. Whatever pit he is sitting in, he dug it for himself. And the same is true for Tyelko, more effective though he might be in his penitence.”

“I never believed the rumours,” Fingon shook his head bemusedly. “With the news I had to bring you, I was not expecting a particularly warm welcome either way; but things are truly worse than I expected!”

“Hold no grudge,” said Caranthir. “I would hate if things would go awry between us. You are our only decent cousin.”

“I am not sure I appreciate being called decent by you,” said Fingon, with a hint of scorn.

“Of course you would not.” There was something in Caranthir’s voice that knocked Maedhros out of his half-unconscious state, and made him glance up. “I will leave you to your business now, whatever it is. We shall talk more in the morning.”

With that, he left; and suddenly, there was no one in the room but Findekáno, and Maedhros himself, and the maddening grief that spread in his chest like poison.

“Let us start with the deeply unpleasant part,” said his cousin at length. He stood and opened his arms, cutting the distance between them. “I am terribly sorry for your loss.”

Maedhros let himself be embraced. He laid his head on his Fingon’s shoulder, and wished he could weep; yet his eyes were dry like emptied wells.

“I was rash,” he said, “and foolish. I should have never let my Counsellor out of my sight. I should have…”

Abruptly, Fingon let him go.

“Do not say you should have come yourself!” He said, with vehemence. “Tyelcano could not have wanted that.”

“No,” Maedhros admitted. “He insisted he would go. Still, I should not have let him! The way our envoys were intercepted is nothing if not suspicious. Orc troops are rarely organized, or led by capable hands – it is almost as if the Enemy knew they would be there!”

Fingon sighed.

“No,” he said, “he had no way of knowing. It was truly an accident: a terrible, unlucky accident, and it is beyond infuriating that Counsellor Tyelcano had to meet his end in a way so undeserved.”

“What do you mean by that?” Said Maedhros, shaken. “Is there something you have not yet told me?”

Fingon drew a sharp breath. “I – yes. I only wanted to tell you at first. There was a time when I planned to hide the truth altogether; but I find that I cannot lie, not to you.”

“What happened?”

“He…” Fingon’s lips were barely moving. “Tyelcano, he – oh Russandol, I am so, so sorry, but we have no way of knowing he is truly dead. It is more likely that the Orcs caught him.”

“No,” said Maedhros. “He would rather end his own life.”

“Gildor found his sword, and… and a trail of markings on the ground that suggests otherwise.”

“No!” said Maedhros again. His voice was hoarse, and he felt as though someone had set his chest on fire.

“I hate to tell you this!” Fingon’s eyes were gleaming wells of sorrow; he could have drowned in them. “I truly hate it – but you must know. You must prepare.”

“No,” Maedhros whispered. “No, they cannot – not him…! I cannot bear the thought. Tell me it is not true!”

Yet no matter how fervently he wished to wake up from this horrible nightmare, it was all real; the lengthening shadows of the evening that crept up the walls, the distant call of a horn as a troop returned from the wastelands, Findekáno’s firm grip on his shoulder.

Yet again, he wished he could weep; but his tears had dried out in Angamando, and they were drained to the source.

“…how did the others escape, then?”

“Tyelcano bid Antalossë, Gildor and Lindír to look for shelter, and wait out the Orcs. He told Antalossë what I presume was part of your message, and gave him your ring. Vorondo, Ohtar and the others defended Tyelcano to their last breath; and Senge disappeared along with him. Gildor told Antalossë and Lindír they were both dead; but once they arrived in Barad Eithel, he told me everything. That is how your word came to me.”

“Tell your captain he did well,” said Maedhros, ignoring the gut-wrenching feeling that seized him. “And – Findekáno, I am truly grateful that you did not try to hide this from me. I had to know… and irresponsible as it might seem, I am also grateful that you came to tell me yourself. Alas! My brothers can never learn this. It would shatter them, and I shall need their wits. We might as well get to work immediately – there is much to do.”

“Russandol,” said his cousin softly. “Sit down. Your shoulders are shaking.”

“Leave grief to those who know not what lurks past the Iron Gates,” said Maedhros in a hollow voice. “It is meaningless to me. The only thing I can do for my Counsellor is to avenge him.”

“That sort of endeavour does not usually go well for our family,” said Fingon.

“Does anything, ever?”

“Compassion,” came the dreaded answer, “and faith. I told you the worst that could happen; but the ways of the Valar – ”

“Do not tell me about the Valar!” Maedhros sprang to his feet. “They have forsaken us, just like my father had forsaken yours.”

“You are sick with grief,” said Fingon, “and that clouds your judgement; or else you would not speak like this, not after everything that befell the two of us. The world has not ended yet, and valour is found in unexpected places. Do not lose hope!”

“I did not lose it,” said Maedhros. “I wanted to tell you about my achievements; but now is not the time to celebrate. Forgive me, Finno… I am being utterly useless! Here you are, sudden and unhoped-for; I could finally tell you about everything that makes my heart heavy, and how do I use my time? I spit flames on the one who had never did anything to feed them; who only ever restrained their spreading. Again, you are a much better friend than I could ever hope to be.”

“I shan’t let you berate yourself any longer,” said Fingon, “neither to question the quality of your friendship. Let us talk about those dreams. I do long for the comfort of a bed after a month spent in the saddle, but I cannot sleep until we have seen this through. What I see in my dreams is most curious –”

Either by the ordonnance of the Powers or by simple chance, the sentence was never finished; for the door swung open, and in strode Celegorm, his armour ragged, black blood dripping from the blade of his sword.

“Nelyo,” he said, “I need your permission to – Findekáno? Is that you?”

“Well met, cousin,” said Fingon, amused. “You left a rather conspicuous trail on the floor, did you know that? And since when do you ask for permission to do anything? The world is truly going mad.”

“Things have changed,” said Celegorm coolly. “Now I need permission to breathe.”

“Granted,” said Maedhros. “What happened?”

“I wish to go Orc-hunting. Kano has trouble in the Gap.”

“If he needed help, he would send for it.”

“No, he would not!” Celegorm snapped. “I told Moryo about this before, and he dismissed my concerns as well – yet now, behold! Kano has taken into his head that the Gap is his to take back, and his alone. If he has a foothold of his old fortress to die on, he shall.”

“See?” Fingon crossed his arms. “This is why I love your side of the family. You inspire me. Amongst you, I feel tame and responsible.”

“If grief amuses you, then we shall be friends no longer,” said Celegorm.

“Enough,” said Maedhros; and in his voice was a kind of power that reined his brother in, and made Fingon fall silent, and look at him.

Somehow, he did feel powerful.

“What shall we do now?” said Celegorm apprehensively.

Maedhros raised his eyes to meet his, back straight, head raised in a gesture of defiance. His wrath, long-latent and suddenly flared, lapped at his fëa like waves of consuming fire.

“Now,” he said, his voice calm and terrible, “is the moment when I have reached the very end of my patience. It seems that Moringotto’s servants have forgotten the taste of their own blood; and it will be my pleasure to remind them.”

“You are going yourself!” Celegorm exclaimed.

“And not alone,” said Fingon. “One does not go Orc-hunting, and leave me out of it.”

“Get some sleep,” said Maedhros. “We ride at first light.”


Chapter End Notes

Author’s Notes

[*] and [**] mark my shameless allusions to an unfinished (an unpublished) prequel to this story, ‘The Warden of the East’. It is basically another gap-filler, on the Dagor Bragollach and the siege of the Himring.

Into the Fire

Something is burning, and for once, the Seven Sons cannot be held responsible.

Or can they?

Read Into the Fire

The northernmost lands of Beleriand were naturally fenced by mountains, which had drawn Maedhros’s tactical mind to the southern edge of Lothlann, where the Enemy’s threat was constant and pervading. He had built the fortress of Himring to the edge of that natural shield, to a convenient distance from the Pass of Aglon; and Caranthir had fortified the western slopes of the Ered Luin, around the clear waters of the Helevorn. Their castles were facing each other above the wide opening of the Gap, where Maglor kept his men until the Flames came, and his fortress fell; and vile Orcs had overrun Beleriand once more.

The Gap was where the Flames had burned the hottest.

The Gap was where the blockade broke.

The Gap was from where the dragon had come; and now, the Gap was where Maedhros was about to lose a brother as well.

“At least Kano managed to get inside those tottering ruins,” said Curufin’s stoic voice behind him. Turning back, Maedhros saw that his preparations for the battle had come down to the fact that he hid a hauberk under his garments; and instead of a sword, a dagger or even a lance, he carried an oversized sledgehammer.

“Moryo dared me to fight with it,” said Curufin when he caught his glance. “Besides, I did not quite have the time to dress like the commander I no longer am. Some people do work in your castle, you know.”

“I could not tell,” said Maedhros dryly. “Look, Curvo – about that thing I am allegedly hiding from you…”

“I do not care,” said Curufin.

“Of course you do.”

“Then I will teach myself not to.”

“I do not want things to stay this way!” Maedhros sighed. “I did not punish you for the sake of punishment itself; I want you to prove me wrong. I want to know that I can trust you!”

Curufin’s fingers were playing with the handle of his hammer. “And submit myself once more to your ridiculous expectations? Forget it. Your Counsellor is dead – and you should get another one, instead of brimming with sudden generosity. You do not need me around. I could lie to you, and deceive you again, and do so with great pleasure. Or have you forgotten how vile I am?”

Maedhros stared at him with dismay; and he saw the subtle change in Curufin’s eyes as his brother realized that he had truly hurt him.

And then the words spilled out: sudden, incoercible, against logic and better judgement.

“Tyelcano is not dead.”

Curufin stared at him, his eyes suddenly bright, and frightening.

“What?”

“Finno told me…” Maedhros drew a shaky breath. “His body was never found, and there are trails that suggest that he was captured.”

“But you cannot be sure.”

“My heart tells me that he is alive,” said Maedhros sternly. “It weighs on me to know it, and tell none; I may as well share the secret with you, and you alone. You wanted my trust – now carry the burden.”

Curufin pursed his lips. “So – what do we do, then?”      

“We retake the Gap.”

“…about Tyelcano, I mean.”

Maedhros turned away from his brother, and the hazy vision of their troop as they finally caught up to the vanguard that the two of them were leading. Moryo would be among the approaching riders, he knew, and Findekáno, too; and Tyelko would ride at the far end with Tulcestelmo and Gildor, securing the road back to the Himring.

“We wait,” he said, “and hope that he has joined Father in the Halls of Mandos.”

“Curse it!” Curufin snapped. “Curse the Orcs, curse these lands, curse the cruelty of fate, and most importantly, curse Moringotto and his vices!”

“Curse it, you say?” Maedhros rolled his eyes. “And for what? Our curses are about as effective as our blessings and prayers. Words have no power here. Sledgehammers, however…”

“I should have never agreed to this,” Curufin muttered. “I will look like a wood-cutter.”

“And those filthy Orcs will look like chopped wood,” said Fingon’s overly cheerful voice as he reined his horse in between them. “A wonderful match, do you think not? We could also add the fire to the allegory, which would give us chopped and charred wood – or should I rather say ash?”

Maedhros swallowed his snarky response, and narrowed his eyes, trying to make out the details in the fire-storm that was raging where once Maglor’s stronghold stood. The flames lapped at the walls hungrily, like tide rising in a scarlet sea; and black smoke rose over the Anfauglith beyond.

“It is burning from within,” Caranthir suddenly voiced what all of them were thinking. “D’you think Kano is in there?”

“I hope not,” said Maedhros, “for if he is, and the flames do not kill him, then I will.”

“Who cares about the fire?” said Curufin with fake nonchalance. “Those stinky bastards are on the other side. I can hear them. Let us run them down!”

“And take all the fun out of it?” Fingon lamented. “I would much rather like to surprise them. We are here to hunt, after all, are we not?”

“Not to argue with a High King, but the two hundred riders behind us do give away the general direction of our plans,” said Caranthir.

“Aye, perfect! We send them all up front, and we sneak in from behind. Give those Orcs the last fright of their pathetic existence.”

“Well,” said Curufin, “that would certainly be less boring than the usual flow of war cries.”

“I shan’t drape myself in that smoke like a thief in the night,” said Caranthir. “I will charge. Alone, if I have to.”

“You will have me,” said Celegorm.

“Well – if you go, then I go,” said Curufin.

“Nelyo,” said Fingon theatrically, “you are my only hope. Will you help me in my thievery?”

 “I am afraid I must indeed give in to your childish whims,” said Maedhros, “for I wish to find out why are those flames on the wrong side of the castle.”

“Highness,” called Gildor’s voice from behind, “with all due respect – I do not believe that one with your stature…”

Fingon smiled magnanimously at his captain. “Are you calling me fat or important?”

“He is calling you a lackwit,” said Maedhros dryly. “Still, we must go, and be lackwits together.”

“The word I had in mind was rash, Lord Warden,” said Gildor smoothly. “And the same is true of you. It would not be wise to…”

“Definitely not,” said Maedhros. “We have already established that. Yet my mind is set and my patience thinned; and if you stand in my way, your fate shall be none the nicer than that of any Orc trying to lay a hand on my cousin. Am I understood?”

“Most thoroughly, Lord Warden,” said Gildor, with admirable collectedness.

Maedhros tried not to imagine the reproachful look on his counsellor’s face as he would follow them to peril – secretly, if he had to. Against his command, if he had to.

Gildor did not.

~ § ~

Waiting was the hardest part of it all, Maedhros decided.

Their troop had attacked in one fierce onset, sweeping away all enemies that dared to challenge them. Still, the battle was not easily won, for the Orcs were numerous, and they had savage wolves with them, which – as it seemed – were trained to go after the horses before they would touch their riders. These wolves prowled all around the Gap; if not for Fingon’s quick thinking and a perfectly accurate dagger-throw from Maedhros’s part, they would have been discovered in no time.

The Orcs, as it seemed, still held the western wing of the once graceful stronghold, despite the fact that the fire spread very quickly inside. The noises of the outside battle were getting closer, but not nearly as swiftly as Maedhros would have liked. It did not matter how much he or Fingon thirsted for their enemies’ blood – it remained, at the very least, necessary that no one would see them enter.

“You are hoping to find something in there,” said Fingon softly.

“Survivors,” said Maedhros. “Answers. And hopefully not my brother.”

“Is that truly all?”

“I have had the oddest thought,” Maedhros admitted. “You know – when the dragon came?”

“Yes?”

“Kano left his favourite lute in there. I have not heard him play one ever since… now, it is always the harp. I hate harps, with all my might.”

“You never told me,” Fingon smiled.

“Well, I did not always hate them. Only since the Flames. So I thought… I know it is utterly ridiculous, but I thought that if I managed to find that bloody thing, Kano would finally agree to play something else than laments. Something that lifts our spirits, instead of making us weep. Selfish, is it not?”

“Perhaps,” said Fingon slowly. “However, this also means that you would be willing to rush through flame and death to find your brother’s lute.”

“And end the torment of the harp.”

“Still – you would.”

Maedhros frowned. “You have something on your mind.”

His cousin nudged him with his elbow as if they were still children, hiding from their parents and duties. “Most incredible. Does that ever happen to you?”

Maedhros watched as the remains of the old Western Tower gave in to the flames, and collapsed in a cacophony of rock and soot-smelling debris, then turned his head.

“Either you can tell me,” he said, “or you can go on suffering, but with less theatrics.”

“It was only a fleeting thought,” said Fingon lightly. “And, contrary to your lute-related ambitions, it was selfish.”

“You have always known how to make me curious.”

They waited in silence for a while.

“So?” said Maedhros softly. “That thought has now been fleeting for a while, you know. Stiff and unyielding, like a grudge.”

“Perhaps it is a grudge,” said Fingon.

Maedhros stared into the flames. The smoke made his eyes water.

“You are incapable of holding one.”

“So I have thought, until the Flames.”

Maedhros bowed his head. “I know I could have done more for Aikanáro and Angaráto…”

“Not against you, you idiot! You did everything you could. You saved us all – for the Stars of Varda, Russandol, you rode alone against an entire troop, and came out unscathed!”

“They took a mighty rise out of me,” Maedhros muttered.

“…you spend months out in the wilderness hunting Orcs, you held what was left of Himlad, you drove back that dragon to the pits of hell whence it had come from, and somehow you still managed to keep us fed, housed and most importantly, alive…”

“Do not make it sound as though I was alone,” said Maedhros.

“That is it!” Said Fingon, with sudden fervour in his voice. “That is where my grudge comes from. You were not alone! You had me, and Kano, and Moryo, and the Ambarussar, and your Counsellor. Tyelko and Curvo could only be cut off you by force, and Atar by the countless leagues that lay between your lands and Hithlum. And yet – do you not figure that someone is missing from the picture?”

Maedhros fought the sudden – and quite unpleasant – sensation of walking on eggshells. “I…”

“I do not blame you, truly,” said Fingon dryly. “I sometimes forget that I have a brother, too.”

Maedhros frowned. “Did you not see him, then, after your father…?”

“I have not spoken to Turukáno since Nargothrond had been built, and Findaráto invited all of us,” said Fingon sharply. “Some three hundred years ago, that was.”

“But how is that possible?” Maedhros’s eyes widened. “Was he slain? Perished?”

“He built his long-desired stronghold where none can find him, and took all his followers,” said Fingon. “And since then, I know nothing of him. No letters, messengers or invitations, not even surprise visits. It feels as though he had never existed. For a time, I thought I could understand – Turukáno was never happy this side of the Sea, not even for a day. His sorrow was alien to me, however hard I tried to understand him; and somewhere along the way, it all turned sour. You know, Atar had always wanted to be everything Fëanáro was not; and yet I wish he had taught us to stick together the way you seven do. Whatever happens, you can count on each other, no matter how many leagues lie between you, no matter how cruelly Fate tries to sever your bonds. Is it unthinkable to envy you for that?”

“The crown must weigh heavy on your head,” said Maedhros, “but you are not alone, Finno. Our fathers are gone, and their strife with them. We are your family, too, and we care for you – even Curvo, even when he pulls faces and teases you out of your mind.”

“I know,” Fingon smiled at him. “But Hithlum is far, and its lands are wide… and Moringotto sleeps no more.”

“If everything goes as planned,” said Maedhros, “our blades shall sing him such a lullaby that he shall never wake again.”

“That they shall,” said Fingon with sudden satisfaction. “And we need my brother not. Let him brood in his shining castle with his knights and treasures!”

“You are truly furious with him,” said Maedhros warily.

“Would you not be?”

Conveniently for Maedhros, a disordered troop of Orcs and wolves flounced out from amongst the ruins, right before the remainder of the roofing collapsed. The clatter of hooves, armour and the singing of blades clearly indicated that his men had finally reached the walls outside; and the Orcs were, unbeknownst to them, stuck between hammer and anvil. This was their chance – and Maedhros and Fingon both knew better than to let it slip.

Swiftly, they stood and made their way to the abandoned entrance, unseen and unheeded; here, the fire raged no longer, but the ground was still heavy with smouldering bits of debris. Heavy black smoke rose with their every step as they passed under what remained of the portcullis and disappeared between the weather-beaten walls.

“I mourn this place,” said Maedhros. Absentmindedly, he caressed the inner side of an arch: the stone was still smooth, and warm. “Look, Finno, the curtain is still in front of that window… it has always amused me how some truly inflammable things survive the deadliest of fires. As if by higher ordonnance. Why the curtain…?”

“You are evading my question,” said Fingon. “Would you be furious, or not…? And do spare me your gallant self-loathing, saying that you have no right to be furious. You do – even more so than I, in a way. For centuries now, you and Father were the shields we held against the Enemy; if not for you, Turukáno could have never gotten away.”

“Still, he has no obligation to me,” said Maedhros, “and never will. The Ice tested him in ways you and I cannot comprehend, Finno. Do you think it pleases me to chase Orcs night and day? Had I not cursed myself with an impossible Oath, I would also build myself a secret fortress in some warm, green land and shut myself in for centuries playing chess… oh, and probably flooding Thingol with rude letters. He would never learn whence they came, and I would take utmost pleasure in driving him mad.”

“Yet you would never shut your gates in front of me,” said Fingon. “And you would be there if I needed you. It would never even cross your mind not to. Why is my own brother incapable of that?”

“Because he is a King of his own,” said Maedhros, “and a true King, however splendid his crown, is nothing but a servant of his people. If he wants them safe, he must protect them – he must always choose them over the bonds of friendship, or even family. See, we are both spectacularly awful at this; Turukáno, on the other hand, seems to be excelling at it. You can call him a traitor and a bad brother, but he does protect his people, and I cannot hate him for it. Can you?”

“So,” said Fingon, “if you had to choose between me and your people –”

“I would choose you, same as you would choose me, and doom them all; which makes us terrible leaders. But you have known this for a long time; and still you hoped I would say the things you wanted to hear.”

While they talked, they had crossed the smoking ruins of a patio, and blended into the shadows of the late eastern wing of the fortress. Maedhros pushed relentlessly forward among charred bodies and debris, relying on memory mingled with hope. There had to be survivors somewhere.

“Look!” said Fingon, kneeling beside a corpse. “I have never seen this crest. The Enemy might have swayed some Men into his service; it would not be the first time. I feel sorry for them, Nelyo – they never knew anything else than Moringotto and his whip, and still we must slay them.”

“Nay,” said Maedhros. “Those are Carnistir’s men. From the East. I have their swords; and Kano took some of them with him. Are they all dead?”

Fingon drew his knife, passed it under a few noses. “I am afraid so,” he said. “How many of these Men do you have in your service?”

“A thousand back in Himring, and there are more of them coming every day. I think we will come to a good six thousand, and another five thousand Dwarves who would help us in need. Then we have my men, and what remains of Káno’s and Moryo’s… the hunters of the Ambarussar… I think my forces might amount to twenty-five thousand, at the end. For now.”

“For now!” Fingon laughed bitterly. “I, the so-called High King, do not nearly have that kind of army. I feel as though the Flames had eaten everything I had.”

“For now,” said Maedhros, and in his voice was a latent fire. “Did you not tell me, just yesterday, not to lose hope? Come now; let us hurry. If there is anything we can salvage from here, I want to salvage it.”

Methodically, they searched the castle ruins, killing the occasional Orc lingering in the shadows still. They passed the charred bodies of friends and foes alike, and Maedhros’s heart was heavy, for more than once, he came upon faces he knew, and loved. It hurt to think that some of them might have laid for days under the open skies, and it hurt as well to imagine them turn to ash in the raging blaze of funeral pyres. Their weapons and armour would be taken, for the fire would destroy them not – and more importantly, they would be needed still. There was not much glory in death; what remained was no more than the faintest trace of dignity, and even that would oft be denied.

Outside, the clamour of the battle seemed to subside, and every now and then, they could hear the call of Celegorm’s horn, and Caranthir’s boisterous commands.

“There is nothing here, Nelyo,” said Fingon at length. “We have searched the entire fortress… well, what remains of it. I know you would take a look at the Northern no-longer-a-tower, but there is no way the stairs would hold us. As charming it would be to share a grave with you, I would not choose it to be under those unsteady rocks – and not quite so soon.”

“I care little about the tower,” said Maedhros. “Look at this – the fire must have started here, and it does not look like an Orc’s work to me. It is far too effective.”

“The Orcs and wolves that fled,” said Fingon slowly, “they were quite numerous, were they not? I think…”

The two cousins looked at each other, and all that suddenly seemed to spring to their lips were colourful curses; and their swords flew out of their scabbards as they went on their furious way. By that time, the wind had ceased, and the rest of the smoke settled amongst the walls, wreathing, reeking.

The dead lay in piles, staring at Maedhros with unseeing eyes as he strode along the passageway that led to the fated Northern Tower. His blade glimmered faintly in the half-light, but that would not account for much – the battle was still going on outside, and the Orcs were not far.

“You are right,” Maedhros answered the unasked question. “The fire is the doing of our people. They were driving the Orcs out… no, not the Orcs, something else.”

“And that something else is still here,” said Fingon. “Did you not hear it?”

“Hear what?”

“That sound. It was like a thump – like someone falling, or throwing something, or maybe…”

The next sound, Maedhros did not struggle to hear – it was not a thump, but a terrible wail of a wounded beast; raw, sharp and furious.

“It seems that you must change your mind about the grave business,” said Maedhros. “Whatever this is, it is up there, in your favourite tower.”

“Wonderful.”

“Did you not want me to, I quote, help you in your thievery? It would be most proper for a thief to mistake a window for a door. Let us go!”

They both looked at the half-collapsed tower, the broken stairs and the avalanche of smoke-stained rocks.

“Russandol,” said Fingon softly, “you shan’t make it up there with one hand.”

“I do not walk on my hand,” said Maedhros coolly. “Nor do I remember asking for your permission.”

“You should let me climb,” said Fingon adamantly, “and watch the Orcs for me. If I get up there, they will see me from outside, and if I have to die from an arrow in my backside, I shall never leave the Halls of Mandos.”

“Out of question,” said Maedhros.

“Dost thou forsake thy King’s command, then?” Fingon recited, crossing his arms.

“With utmost respect for His stupid whims, I do,” said Maedhros between his teeth, as another terrible wail shook the tower. “Now let us go!”

Their climb was short and unpleasant. They chose to dash upwards with all their might, holding onto anything and everything they could grab along the way; and trying to climb swifter than the falling rocks and caving heaps of debris. Maedhros pushed onwards with all his strength, ignoring the pain in his legs and the bruises the sharp, yet slippery rocks left on his palm. He wished he would have taken a glove; but admitting so would have been admitting defeat, and – Valar forbid – considering that Fingon might have been right, which was clearly unthinkable. So on he pressed until he reached the top of the ruined stairs – the last tread gave way under his feet, so Fingon would have to jump – and pulled himself quickly up to what had once been a comfortable upstairs chamber with a picturesque view.

The last thing he saw were the eyes – wide from surprise and red from hate –, and the pressing weight of the large body as he was overrun, and shoved to the wall with otherworldly strength.

And then, the world went dark.

The Lord of the Gap

Maglor is found, and he has many things to say. Brotherly sap ensues.

Read The Lord of the Gap

The first thing that registered in his mind was the stark familiarity of pain.

Sharp, searing pain.

Something sticky and warm drippled down his face and through his garments, pooling into something that Maedhros ultimately identified as his own blood.

The second thing that registered in his mind was the ugly, gurgling noise of a wounded creature fighting for its life. At once alert, he snapped out of his bewilderment and sprang to his feet, longsword in hand.

He could not have been out for more than a dozen heartbeats. His attacker – a giant warg – was pressed to the wall by the point of Fingon’s lance, cowering with fading malice. Its eyes were narrow slices of burning, red hate.

Maedhros’s grip tightened on the hilt of his sword. “Finno! Don’t do that – retreat!”

But it was too late. The beast gave a thundering growl and it rushed straight into the lance with its last strength – the weapon’s point slid under fur and skin, but the momentum of the leap turned it off its course. It slid harmlessly along the beast’s side, leaving the High King of the Noldor quite weaponless against a hundred stones of dying hate.

Maedhros slid to the side and cut. The edge of the blade left a long, gaping cut along the side of the large body; hot, black blood oozed out of the fresh wound, and the heavy smell of death filled the air. Fingon drew his own sword and put it through the defenceless spot under the warg’s chin.

With a thin, almost dog-like cry, their enemy died.

“Manwë and Varda,” said Fingon. “It was huge.”

“And clever,” said Maedhros. He turned the beast’s head to the side with his foot, observed as one burning eye turned blind and lifeless. “This one must be akin with the wolves Moringotto had released upon us after the Flames. They know how to slide past lances, swords, and daggers, for long we have fought against them with those; and most arrows do not penetrate their hide. I will bid Curufinwë to find something against them. Some alloy of metal that cuts vile intention, maybe.”

A smile ghosted through Fingon’s face. “You saved my life, cousin.”

“And you mine,” said Maedhros, “as things should be. Let us not linger here! Kano could still be around here somewhere.”

“Were he dead, we would have found him already,” Fingon offered, although his voice held no mirth. Maedhros knew their fears were the same: the tidings of Tyelcano’s capture were still fresh and vivid in their minds, and inadvertently, they both started to imagine that the same fate could befall Maglor. The Orcs had already captured him once, after all, and not very long ago – maybe they were truly after him.

Maedhros was inconsolable. Idiotic as he is, he, the Warden of the East might have just handed his own brother over to the Enemy on a silver platter. Vengeful, proud and furious, with little heed to his own safety… aye, a terrible fate could have befallen to Maglor if he took his decisions on the battlefield with such haste as he did at the council table.

Findekáno’s voice cut through the silence like a silver knife.

“Russandol,” he said. “Russandol, look!”

It was the lute.

Weather-beaten, fissured on the side and missing half its strings, but it truly was his brother’s lute. Untouched by blood, debris and decay, it lay abandoned under what had once been a window to an airy suite, further away from the carcass of the warg. It looked as though it had been placed there by the will of the Valar, and not forgotten in the hasty abandon of a battle-call, years ago.

Maedhros looked at it, then turned away.

Fingon picked it up.

“Do not despair,” he said gently. “Many a curious fate I have seen since we have come to these lands. My heart tells me that your brother has still much to do before he goes to Mandos. Whyever else would his lute be here, as though waiting for us?”

“Despair is not something I can allow myself,” said Maedhros sharply. “Woe to my brother that he did not listen when the Counsellor begged him to stay! Now none of us will hear his wisdom ever again.”

Fingon’s hand was heavy on his shoulder; and his armour was heavy as well as he climbed down the tricky mountain of debris with one hand.

He ended up carrying the lute across the barren wasteland, dead Orc-eyes following him wherever he went.

* * *

The following days blended into and endless cycle of riding, fighting, and losing sleep. What remained of Maglor’s old fortress was left under Celegorm’s control, Caranthir was sent back to the Himring as Regent, and Maedhros continued the Orc-hunt with Fingon, Curufin and the best of the army. Meticulously they searched the Northern Marches and the Gap, driving their enemies out of their hides under the earth; and the waters of Gelion ran black with blood every day. No mercy was shown to Orcs, wargs, or the distant spawns of Ungoliant if they crossed their path; and Maedhros and Fingon did many a deed that would later be worded into song.

It soon became clear that although the fortress of the Gap had been abandoned over defeat, Maglor had not given up cleansing his lands of the Enemy’s servants. The trail of his men was faint and well-hidden, but it was there; and Curufin, who was a skilled hunter, would follow it with ease, and even predict it after a time.

And so it had come to pass that when the sixth day of their hunt dawned, Maedhros saw a trail of smoke rising to the skies as they camped near an old watchtower that used to mark the border between Thargelion and the Gap. The smoke came from the depths of the forest where the tower – or its ruins – stood; and Maedhros, who had climbed the nearest hill to have a look around the wastelands hurried back to the camp, knowing that the guards had long seen what he had just glimpsed; and they were getting ready to depart already.

When he came back to the hastily made camp, he was greeted by a curious sight; for his brother and his cousin were sitting away from their men, shoulder to shoulder, talking in hushed voices. To Maedhros’s utmost surprise, the shadow of enmity seemed to be gone from Curufin’s face, and the weight of mistrust seemed to have lifted from Fingon’s brows – two occurrences he had previously deemed about as likely as Eru Illúvatar materialising from thin air before the gates of the Himring and inviting them all back to the Undying Lands.

He knew better than to mention it, though.

“We must make haste,” he said. “I believe we have found Kano at last.”

Curufin turned swiftly away from the High King, his face suddenly an emotionless mask.

“Not so soon!” he said. “I have not yet devised which would be the slowest way to murder him. I have slept in bushes and over gnarled roots for a year, and I had no intention to do so ever again, not even for the sake of his inane whims. Six days, Nelyo. Can you imagine how many broken swords I could have fixed in six days?”

“Then be glad that your tribulations are over,” said Maedhros. “Provided, of course, that I will not decide to drag you with me for the rest of the Orc-hunt. We still have countless miles to cleanse.”

“I am not going further away from my forge,” said Curufin, and in his voice was the kind of playful insolence he had missed for years. “The Warden of the East will have to chase me, and on his feet.”

“Careful you be, or he will do just that,” said Fingon. With that, he stood, and walked over to the edge of the camp where their horses grazed. Soldiers were mounting around them, donning their helms, lances and hauberks gleaming coldly in the morning light.

Maedhros followed him, with the visibly pretended purpose of checking Silmatal’s hooves.

“Anything I should know about?” he asked in a soft voice.

Fingon smiled. “What do you mean?”

“You know very well what I mean.”

“As much as I know and love you, cousin, I do not read your thoughts, nor would you want me to.”

Maedhros rolled his eyes. “Curvo was nice to you.”

“He can be kind as summer, whenever he wants something.”

“And what is it that he wants?”

His cousin laughed. “Who knows? We might want the same thing, for once. Do not burden yourself with this, Nelyo. He has done much for you in his own fashion, much more than you think. I wonder what Tyelcano told him that made him stay.”

Maedhros stared at him. “What did you say?”

“Tyelkormo told me the other day... he wanted to keep his titles and leave – and he, in his despair, went to your Counsellor for help. And so the matter was settled, though no one knows how. No one, but Tyelcano and Curufinwë.”

Maedhros looked away from him, keeping a stern, unmoving gaze on the trail of smoke above the woods.

It made his eyes water.

“Let us go,” he said. “Your father used to tell me that killing should never bring solace; but Valar know it would ease my heart to kill something right now!”

Fingon’s eyes were liquid pools of compassion.

“You did not deserve to suffer such a terrible loss. My heart is weeping for you.”

“Let us go!” said Maedhros again, this time sharply.

They rode far ahead of their companions, and the clatter of their horses’ hooves was thunder, and the sunlight gleaming on their blades was lightning. No enemy could stand against them; and indeed the Orcs of the Marches cried out in anguish and fear when fleeing from the Lord of the Gap, they ran straight into the Warden of the East in the height of his fury.

Their hunt was short, and the Orcs’ bodies were put in a great pile afterwards; then the Easterling Bór and his sons set it on fire, and the hunters waited until only ashes and bones remained. Then, the roofless watchtower was visited, its state measured, and an order was given that it should be rebuilt and manned.

Maglor – to Maedhros’s great relief, and something akin with indignation – seemed unscathed. He greeted his brothers curtly, thanked them for their help, exchanged a few formal words with Fingon, then disappeared as soon as Maedhros turned his head; so it fell to Bór and his accented – although much progressed – Sindarin to recount the events of the past weeks.

“Your brother’s heart is heavy, Lord Warden, if you do not mind my saying so,” he said. “He had lost many men; and had he not given up on his old fortress, we might have all perished. Still, he chose to spare us at the end, and so we hunted the Orcs in their hides under the earth. We have slain more than we could count. I daresay that the lands around Lake Helevorn are free of them by now.”

“That is more than I hoped to hear,” said Maedhros. “I do not see why his heart should be heavy, then. His endeavour had always been a risky one; still, you are alive, and your sword is sharper than ever.”

“Indeed, Lord Warden,” said the Man, bowing his head. “Your brother did much for us. He saved my youngest son from a pair of wargs, risking his own life – for that, he bears my gratitude until the day I die. I tried to tell him, but he would have none of it.”

“I will not forget it,” said Maedhros. “You have served him well; and it may as well be that you shall have to follow him to battle again soon. For the Enemy has angered me greatly, and I shall bear with his malice no longer. We are going to free Beleriand.”

Bór looked at him with hope in his eyes.

“If anyone can do it, Lord Warden,” he said, “than it is you.”

* * *

Maedhros found his brother on the shores of Helevorn, gazing over the lake. The waters were smooth as ever, without a single ripple: a mirror of clean, dark glass, cast into a delicate frame formed by Mount Rerir, and its ranges – and Maglor could have been a statue built to face it for eternity, so immovably he sat. He was looking at the ruins of Caranthir’s fortress across the lake; its walls were gappy and there were no banners gracing its walls.

“The Orcs do not dwell in there anymore,” he said in a low voice. “I could not take back my own fortress, but that one, I freed. I did not have enough soldiers left to man it, though. I lost too much… I was a fool…”

“You did well,” said Maedhros. “It was impossible to do what you did without significant loss. It matters not: we have taken the first steps. Our enemies will now learn to fear our names again.”

Maglor turned his head to look at him.

“Something is amiss,” he said, and his eyes wandered downwards. “Nelyo – is that my old lute? Where did you find it?”

“In your castle,” said Maedhros. “What remains of it, anyway.”

Maglor’s face was expressionless. “You have taken it back.”

“Findekáno came to visit me.” Maedhros tilted his head. “I had to provide him some humble sort of amusement.”

“You are not amused, though,” Maglor observed. “You are furious.”

Maedhros settled down beside him and handed him the lute. “I wanted to gift this back to you on a day of great celebration,” he said. “But alas! I must ask you for a lament once again instead; for soon we shall ride to battle, in the mightiest of our fury, and we shall all cast away our colours, wearing the Star in the unadorned black field of grief. My Counsellor shall not come back from the wastelands of Dimbar; and my wrath shall not subside until there is even one Orc left alive in Beleriand.”

“Alas,” said Maglor, and in his voice was great pain. “Curse the Enemy! Curse him until the Ends of Arda!”

“Aye,” said Maedhros. The weight of uncertainty settled heavily upon his chest, but he could not bring himself to burden his brother with the knowledge that Tyelcano might be alive, captured by the Enemy, defenceless to his cruellest whims. “Now come – we must make haste. We shall soon come back with soldiers, and the people of Azaghâl to rebuild Moryo’s old castle; then we shall continue our way south. And Findekáno has plans too.”

But Maglor caught his arm before he could stand.

“Wait,” he said. “Nelyo, there is something that I must tell you – something that I have been trying to tell you for a long time. It’s just that since you… since you recovered, we were never really close.”

Maedhros drew a deep breath. It would have been hard to argue with that; indeed, they were not close at all.

Maglor never left his bedside in Mithrim; he could remember him holding his hand one night, weeping, but he could never be sure if it had been only a dream. He never asked, and Maglor never talked about those times.

He also remembered being half-conscious, haunted by despair, but drawn to the faint light that was healing and consciousness. Again and again he would despair, but he would always gather his strength and triumph over his fears again, because Maglor was always there, holding his hand. He was the eternal source of hope, warmth and light that drew him away from darkness. From falling. From death.

When he learned to walk, to speak, to write again, his brother rejoiced with him. Maedhros would lean on him as they went for a walk around the healers’ tent, and each step was a wonder, each breath a gift. And yet Maglor seldom spoke to him anymore, and even if he did, he never spoke of himself. He preferred singing, and Maedhros listened to his voice in marvel.

Decades passed, then centuries, and his brother rarely sang to him anymore. He came to rule his own people in the Gap, the mighty fortress that held the most secure part of Himlad’s hills. Maedhros seldom saw him, and Maglor sometimes called him my lord; and he never dared ask why he would call him such a thing.

Then, the Flames came – and ever since, his brother had wandered his halls like a ghost.

“I am always here,” said Maedhros, hating that his voice rang hollow. “Talk to me. All the patience I have is yours.”

Maglor tightened his grip on the old lute, half-fastened strings lopping over its body on each side. He clutched it as if clutching a weapon, or one of their father’s Silmarili.

“And what if it is not enough?”

“Are you sure you want to find out?”

Maglor had no answer to that; and Maedhros found that his patience ran thin.

“I see that you are uncomfortable in my presence,” he said. “You preferred me when I could not yet talk. When I was weak, and you had to carry me. It was easier to be around me.”

Maglor’s eyes were wells of infinite sorrow as he looked him in the eye.

“I should have told you the first moment you saw me... when Findekáno rescued you. I was a coward, Nelyo, a Valar-forsaken coward, and I shall never forgive myself...”

“Come here,” said Maedhros, his wrath forgotten. “I will have none of that.”

“No – you will listen to me. I was a coward, abandoning you to the mercy of the Enemy. I have forsaken you, and I cannot live with myself ever since. This is why I have been so distant with you – I feel that I have betrayed you. What I have done is unforgivable; so outrageous that I flinch whenever I look at you or speak with you. I am no longer worthy of you, brother. Knowing that there had always been a chance to save you, and I did not even try…”

Each word was like the clash of a warhammer against his chest. Maedhros could not call it pain; it ran too deep, and it made him feel dizzy.

“...it was not Father I followed to these accursed lands, but you, Nelyo. I came because you came; I swore the Oath when I heard you swearing it. I trod in your heels like a hound follows its master. I have always looked up to you... you never noticed how much, but I did; and when you were captured and I abandoned you, all that fondness turned sour.”

“It was like a cage, that crown. It felt heavy, cold, and alien. It did not belong to me, for you were its rightful owner; and everything I did while the crown was on my head was no more than a faint mockery of what you could have done. You made a mistake, brother. It was I who should have gone to parley with the Enemy. It was me Moringotto should have captured and tormented, not you.”

“Now that was enough!”

Maedhros’s voice was thunder, and ice. It all came back to him in a rush: prison cells, mines, thralls who held more likeness to Orcs than to Elves; cliffs and dark archways and racks; Moringotto in his throne room, with the Holy Jewels wrought in his black crown... Thangorodrim and the shackles...

“Listen to me, Kanafinwë – if once again in your waking life you dare tell me that you would have deserved my fate – that any creature of Eru could have ever deserved such a horrid monstrosity – I… you have no idea. You have no idea what you speak of, and that is my last word.”

Maglor held the sides of his face, pale, grief-stricken.

“I am sorry – I never meant to…”

“Don’t you dare,” Maedhros whispered. “Even to think about it... Kano... I would rather have it all happen to me a hundred times... a thousand times again... over and over... than to ever see it happening to you. Any of you... even the guards... even the stable-boys...”

“I am so sorry, Maitimo...”

Maglor’s voice was thick with care, love, and tears; it was trembling, but it still soothed him.

The shadow was passing away.

“Now,” said Maedhros, collecting himself, “it is time for my own confession. It may be hard for you to hear this, and accept it as the truth, but I would have done the same in your stead. I would have declared you dead, I would have abandoned you, or any of my brothers. I would not have come to your rescue, would not have even attempted it. Firstly, because I am not nearly as insane as a certain branch of our family seems to be; and secondly, because then, I would have been High King. A High King has no hopes, dreams, or ambitions; and He is ready to cast away family ties, bonds of love and pacts of friendship whenever necessary. A High King is a servant of his people; he must at all times do what is the best for them all. If their well-being warrants war, then the High King goes to war. If their prosperity warrants peace, then the High King makes peace. And if rescuing his brother would cost the High King his crown and the lives of his people, then the High King might have to abandon the brother, breaking his own heart, and move on; and try to build a new life for the Ñoldor in such circumstances as he has. This is what you did, and I admire you for it. You could not possibly imagine how proud I was when recovering, I had been acquainted with everything you did to make our people’s lives easier. You did well, Kano! You were worthy of Father’s name – and of Grandfather’s name. You saw further than your own pain and despair. Listen to me because I shan’t repeat it a thousand times over: I was – and I still am – proud of you. And I love you as much as I always have, or maybe more than ever. You are still my brother, and my brother you will remain, whatever befalls us; and the fact that I have survived, that the Ñoldor survived, that we can now sit here and talk: this all proves that you have never failed me, nor Atar, nor our people.”

“Never let your feeling of guilt consume you, Kano. It was a bitter mistake to try and parley with the Enemy; a horrid lesson, but I learned what I could from it. By the valiance – or dare I say, folly? – of Findekáno and the grace of Manwë and Varda I have been rescued, and I kept my sanity... well, most of it... Yet, if not for the torment I withstood in Angamando, I would not stand here now, building an alliance against the Enemy. He himself gave me the power to oppose him, to destroy him, to seek his ruin. Do not speak to me of guilt and regret! We cannot change what once was; all we can do is face the future again, side by side, for I would dearly love to be close to you again, now that I know your heart as much as you know mine.”

There was a short silence. Maglor still held Maedhros’s gaze, eyes shining with unshed tears.

“I will not ask you again, ever again, for I know that your patience is short. But tell me, Nelyo... did you truly mean what you just said?”

Maedhros sighed.

“Aye, I truly meant it. But if that is what you need, then hear it: I forgive you, Kanafinwë, from all my heart, and I hope that you forgive yourself. You will need your strength; for many servants of Moringotto lurk in our lands still, and years may pass before we can put down our swords and see new days of peace.”

“We have much to do indeed,” said Maglor.

They sat together by the lakeside for a long while. No one dared disturb them until midday, when Fingon decided it was time to depart; and when the banners of Himring and Barad Eithel were raised upon the old watchtower, Anor rose above the mountains, and the black mirror of Helevorn was alloyed with gold.

The Second Betrayal

Six months have passed. Tyelcano has found his place in Gondolin, made friends, and is almost happy with his new life. Fate, of course, is quite ready to ruin everything.

Read The Second Betrayal

The House of the Fountain in the Hidden City, FA 468, mid-Narvinyë

The fire had burned out in the guestroom again.

The floor was slippery and cold under Tyelcano’s feet as he climbed out of the bed and fumbled around among charred pieces of wood with a stoker. Not only were his efforts completely fruitless, but they would have also balanced on the verge of insult, were the lord of the house there to witness them. Ecthelion of the Fountain was known to do everything within – and sometimes beyond – his power to keep his guests comfortable.

And Tyelcano was quite comfortable indeed, until the first tendrils of cold started to sneak under his blankets, waking him. The City of Ondolindë saw such a harsh winter that year that he had dreamed himself back to Himring ever-cold; and a full minute passed until he realized his mistake.

The knowledge that he was far away from home with no chance of escape was not earth-shattering anymore. He was used to it now, hard as it proved to be to unlearn century-long practices and habits; and as months went by, he came to the somewhat ashaming conclusion that it started to feel almost bearable. Ondolindë was a worthy successor of the city of Tirion in the Undying Lands: large and prosperous, grandiose and beautiful, lively, yet peaceful. Tyelcano could not bear to sit idle, thus, by decree of the King, he was granted a place in the Council; and many a day he spent there, seated next to Turukáno himself. Soon enough, the Lords of the City started listening to his word, even those who had little love for the House of the Star and less for its servant; for his counsel was wise, and for long years he had served the House of Finwë.

A few days after the Gates of Summer, the Lord of the Golden Flower approached him, inviting Tyelcano to spar with him and the Warden of the Gates. There was challenge in this request, and Tyelcano answered it – ultimately, he was glad that he did, for Laurefindil and Ecthelion became close friends to him. Many a summer night they spent together outside the City, in the green valley of Tumladen and the lower hills of the Orfalch Echor; content, they gazed at the stars and raced the King’s best stallions until they would tire of it.

It happened thus that Tyelcano of Himring experienced things previously far out of his reach: he had friends – not lords he helped raise, but genuine companions, who would take great pleasure in teasing him –, a luxurious suite, one free day each week, if not more – something he had not experienced since Fëanáro decided to leave the Undying Lands –, and not a single thing to worry about.

At least, nothing as taxing as provision counts, reconstruction plans, or acts of war. The most fearsome enemies he had thus far encountered in the Hidden City were the faulty water pipes of the palace, the reconstruction of which had been a hot debate topic all summer; and the turning of the season offered no satisfactory solution, either. Tyelcano promised the King that he would see it through; and so far, he was making great progress.

The despair he had felt upon Turukáno’s prohibition to leave his city slowly chastened into reluctant anger, then sadness, then a distant feeling of guilt; and the compassion of his new friends blunted its edges soon enough. Tyelcano knew that he would always long for Himring and his lord, but he also knew that many years might pass until the first, faintest opportunity of seeing him again would present itself.

Until then, there was nothing he could do but wait; and try what Nelyafinwë would have wanted him to try.

Gain trust and respect.

Learn as much as he could.

Make friends.

He could deem himself quite successful so far. He had a whole group of new friends, colleagues, and acquaintances, yet only one open enemy: Salgant of the Harp, of whom he preferred not to talk. The story of their ongoing quarrel was a general favourite in the City as rumours went, and – as oft is the case with rumours –, no one knew the complete truth of it, but Salgant and himself.

The Counsellor slid back under his covers for a while, but sleep eluded him; so with a sigh, he stretched his limbs, dressed, and made his way down to Ecthelion’s spacious dining hall.

To be fair, it looked more like a painter’s workshop now: one of its walls was made of thick glass to let the light in, and the other, stone walls were covered in pictures he, Anardil, Laurefindil and the King had painted of their dreams. Tyelcano even tried to imagine how Nelyafinwë’s and Findekáno’s dreams might have looked, according to what he had heard of them; but those paintings were mere sketches: not nearly as telling as Anardil’s richly coloured landscapes, Turukáno’s sombre, stylized shapes, Laurefindil’s vivid scenes, or his own blurred patches of foggy darkness with crows, corpses, and flowing blood.

Different as they were, all the pictures told the same story: that of a lone wanderer lost in a remote land, his coming heralded by no more than the caw of hungry carrion crows; and escorted by no more than the forebodings of a bodiless Voice.

The Gates are closed, the Voice said again and again, over and over; and the wanderer came upon a heap of corpses, charred and butchered and broken, left out under the open sky without funeral or pyre.

“There is nothing we can do but wait,” was the King’s verdict; and it seemed that there was indeed nothing they could accomplish until the meanings of their dreams would unfold.

A day after the Gates of Summer, Voronwë Aranwion was sent, in great secrecy, to gather news about the deeds of Beren and Lúthien and learn the truth of them; and those who saw the dreams gathered every evening, trying to find their meanings. Yet soon enough they have all started to come to the same conclusions; their reflections and assumptions reached a dead end, as impenetrable as the Gates of the Hidden City themselves.

After two weeks, the King gave his mind to other matters, Anardil decided that all of it was just plain nonsense, and Tyelcano got tired of the constant feeling of intellectual defeat; but Laurefindil and Ecthelion continued debating, searching, and analysing, and thus the paintings became a permanent decoration in the House of the Fountain.

To his chagrin, Tyelcano had to look at them now as well, as he sipped his morning tea in front of the glass-wall. With a sigh, he turned away from the eerie pictures and towards the landscape instead; for Ecthelion’s dining hall faced the royal palace as it towered proudly above the city: a remarkable sight even now, in the dead of winter. The rooftops were capped with snow and icicles hung above every window; and the streets seemed to have been wrought with diamonds overnight, though their silverish gleam was faint in the morning light, veiled by snow-clouds.

Every inch of the outside world froze in solemn anticipation; and Tyelcano, who had seen many winters, knew that a storm was coming. He was quite thankful for the shelter of Ecthelion’s halls, for he had been granted no less than three free days; and the Warden of the Gates had whisked him away from the prying eyes in court so he could have his well-deserved peace. Laurefindil was off duty, too, and Anardil had dragged Pengolodh with him to “have a cup with Lord Melancholy, and that is all”; but one cup became two, then five, then more. Eventually, they stopped counting upon unanimous accord, and everyone stayed for the night.

While Tyelcano sipped his precious tea, his friends came downstairs as well, and settled around him. They all broke their fast together, told stories and laughed; then Ecthelion took his silver flute, and played them many a tune, for his mood was high. Outside, the sky was darkening; but they paid no heed to winter’s fury, as though it could never reach them.

At one point, Anardil smiled mischievously at Tyelcano, and spoke.

“Now, Lord Mopey – ”

“Will you ever stop calling me names?” said he. “I have several of my own, you know.”

“And none of them offers such an insightful description on your person as Lord Mopey.”

“That may as well be,” said Tyelcano, “but I am not the only one thus wronged. See, you are not called Lord Nuisance, either.”

Laughter rose around the table, and Anardil laughed as well.

“There is something I need your permission for,” he pressed, mirth dancing in his eyes. “That is why we came here with Master Pengolodh in the first place… although the wine was nice, far it be from me to complain.”

Tyelcano raised an eyebrow.

“Permission for what? It is hard to imagine such a terrible deed that Lord Insolence would not do without.”

“I never said I would not,” Anardil was still smiling. “See… it is time we’ve had a conversation about a song of mine: a composition of unprecedented artistic value that is yet to make its debut. ‘When The Lord o’ Harp Drew That Sword W’ Ease (And Lost his Teeth)’, it is called. You might have heard of it.”

“Briefly,” said Tyelcano. “Although I cannot fathom why you would need my permission to perform something that has clearly nothing to do with me.”

Anardil rolled his eyes.

“Come on, we have all seen the Terrible Deed! A true scandal. I was proud of you. Still am.”

Tyelcano glanced reproachfully at him.

“It was a private quarrel, one that would have been solved more… privately, had I been in charge of the events. There was truly nothing to see.”

“The training fields were almost empty,” said Laurefindil cheerfully. “No one knows what happened, for so we have agreed. The Deed passed on to legend, thanks to some who cannot hold their tongue...”

Here, he glanced at Ecthelion, who seemed to have suddenly found something terribly interesting on his empty plate.

“And that is where the Deed should remain,” said Tyelcano. “In legends and tales. I wish to make friends here, not enemies.”

“It might be too late for that,” said Ecthelion. “Salgant truly hates you for what happened. Egalmoth and Rog trust you not, although even they might think that he deserved what he got. Still, Lómion understood that you should not be trifled with, and that is good. Embarrassing as it might feel for one of your reputation, I daresay the Deed was very useful. You showed strength, and strength you will need if you want to be respected by the proper sort of people in this city.”

“The mighty Lord Salgant did not deserve anything,” said Laurefindil with a wink, “because nothing happened, am I right?”

“Will you ever stop talking about it?” Tyelcano sighed. “All of this has been going on for months, and I am terribly tired of it.”

“Months or years… those are quite the same, in our reckoning,” said Ecthelion. “My friend, you have beaten the living soul out of Salgant with a training sword. Wood against steel. Stories like that, they last for decades in Ondolindë.”

“Time flies if you live like I used to,” said Tyelcano softly, “drifting from one deadly danger to another. Every day is a gift.”

“That they are,” said Ecthelion. “Yet one should not feel swollen with gratitude every time a new day is granted to them. You have earned some peace, Tyel. Or at the very least, you have earned the right for us to be the disturbers of your peace instead of the Enemy.”

“But what did the Lord of the Harp tell you, truly?” Pengolodh’s soft voice cut in. “I have heard countless versions – yours, Lord Warden, then that of Captain Laurefindil… and then, that of Salgant himself, when he was talking to Lómion during a break in the council sessions – that one was very different from the previous two, I must admit – and then there are, of course, the twenty-something different stories that are told in the streets and inns…”

“And are those not enough?” Tyelcano groaned. “Nothing of significance happened that day. I enjoyed a friendly sparring match with the Lord Warden here; Laurefindil was watching us; then Salgant came and ruined my afternoon. The rest is parody and fiction, which I loathe most ardently. It gives the impression that I would knock people’s teeth out over minor inconveniences, which is, as I hope you understand, quite untrue.”

“Do you deny that you knocked his teeth out?” Ecthelion tilted his head.

Tyelcano’s face was expressionless. “I am not denying anything. I am merely saying – ”

“So you did knock his teeth out!” Pengolodh exclaimed.

“One tooth. In a sparring match. And he deserved it.”

 “Which is why that song should go, When The Lord O’ Harp Let That Weapon Loose (And Lost His Tooth),” said Laurefindil helpfully.

“The other one goes better with the lyrics,” Anardil lamented.

“I must admit that I dislike the mocking style of the title,” said Ecthelion solemnly. “It would clearly benefit from an educational undertone. ‘One Summer Day The Lord o’ Harp had Learned a Lesson Trite: Warriors Beat Armed Fools With A Single Wooden Pike’, or something of the sort.”

Tyelcano’s face remained as stoic as ever, but his eyes sparkled with mirth while all the other Elves laughed aloud.

“It has always been educational,” said Anardil reproachfully. “But that is no way to call a song! The title must be as catchy as the first version, the one in which Star chases Harp with the Wooden Spoone, Thieved Straight from the Kichene. It is a constant fan favourite. All it needs is some embellishing, and a moral lesson at the beginning.”

“You could not write anything moral to save your life!” Ecthelion laughed.

“Nay? Then listen to this –”

“There is truly no need…” Tyelcano sighed, burying his face in his palms, but Anardil took his lute, and sang, with great theatrics,

It is oft said in Elven lore
that all must do what fate them bore:
warriors fight and fools make jests
so in peace each of them might rest
at the end of day, when stars shine high
and the Powers set Ithil alight.
Peaceful they rest; yet two’s apart:
the Lord o’ Star and Lord o’ Harp.

“Promising,” said Laurefindil. “A foot missing here and there, but we might help you with that. Great allegory with the Star and the Harp, though. No one will ever catch the reference.”

“If you truly must keep torturing me with my past,” said Tyelcano with a resigned sigh, “change the names to those of animals. That is how this sort of lyrical abuse was practiced in Aman. No one had the right to be offended, for if one was, then they were most graciously asked: my dear lord, what ails you so? Are you a wolf, or a horse, or a seashell? That is what I truly liked about The Lay of the Wooden Spoone when I first heard it – I believed you were aiming for that level of abstraction.”

“I just thought it was hilarious,” said Anardil. “But this is a great idea indeed – what d’you think Salgant should be? A slug will do nicely, eh? Or a frog…”

“I trust you will come up with an ingenious solution,” said Tyelcano dryly. “And I also trust that I shall not have to hear about any of it in the near future.”

But the sternness of his voice was forced, and he was smiling – an open expression of mirth, the kind of which he seldom allowed himself.

“But how did Lord Salgant anger you so?” Pengolodh’s soft voice broke in. “Is it true that he insulted the Lord Nelyafinwë?”

Tyelcano stopped smiling. The name pierced through his heart like an icy dagger, and his moment of peace and lightness was gone in an instant; a crushing wave of guilt washed over him instead. Here he was, laughing the morning away with his friends, while he was needed in the Himring. His beloved lord was probably still struggling with his dreams, and Orcs lurked incessantly in the wastelands…

“There are few things left in this world that truly anger me,” he said coolly. “Salgant of the Harp said one of them, and I consequently had a lapse in judgement. I am not proud of it – and yet I promise you that he will lose a tooth again, time after time, were he to act the same way in my presence. That is my last word.”

“I think that was a yes,” said Anardil, his voice uncharacteristically gentle. “If any of you have a bad tooth, you know what to say.”

*

The morning lumbered on, and none of them seemed willing to set foot outside, beautiful as the ice-covered Ondolindë was. Winds were rising in the Valley of Tumladen and among the Orfalch Echor, howling like a pack of hungry wolves; and the sky darkened to a damp grey, although it was only past midday. Pengolodh excused himself to the study-room and went through a heap of council notes; Anardil curled up in an armchair by the fireplace and began editing The Lay of the Wooden Spoone so it would fit Valinorean tradition; and Ecthelion and Laurefindil remained in the dining hall with Tyelcano, challenging him to a game of chess as a joint effort.

The Counsellor just realized he could win in six steps when he heard the first knock on the glass wall. He paid no heed to it, deeming that it was probably a branch, or a falling icicle.

At the second knock, he thought it was the winter chill penetrating the glass.

At the third knock, he glanced up, and saw the crow.

The bird’s shiny black eyes were fixed on him – only him – watching, waiting, measuring. When Tyelcano tried to ignore it and turn his attention black to the chessboard, it knocked on the glass with its beak once more, and it cawed.

Caw. Caw. Caw.

Tyelcano’s hand stopped above the board.

“What ails you, my friend?” said Laurefindil. “A shadow passed through your face.”

“Maybe it has,” said Tyelcano.

Caw. Caw. Caw.

Ecthelion turned to the window.

“Curious,” he mused. “Birds usually fear snowstorms and flee before it. And a mighty storm we shall see tonight: of that, I am sure.”

“Maybe the crow wants us to let him in,” said Laurefindil. “They are truly clever creatures.”

“I…” Tyelcano shook his head, absent-minded. “I have no logical foundation for this claim, but somehow, I am completely sure that this bird is the very same one that led me here. And now it wants something from me.”

“You were led here by a crow?” Ecthelion’s eyes widened. “You have not said that before.”

“I told you that I broke my leg fighting,” said Tyelcano, “and true as that may be, there are some details I left out. At that time, I thought they were unimportant; yet it now seems that they prove essential. Alas! my negligence has come back to haunt me.”

“You are lying,” said Ecthelion sharply, and Laurefindil turned to him with dismay.

“That is a terrible thing to say!”

But the Warden of the Gates did not waver an inch.

“Negligence?” he said, pointing his finger to Tyelcano. “You? Do you take me for a fool? I would sooner believe that Manwë himself appeared from thin air and guided you here than that you could be guilty of any kind of negligence. There is something you are not telling us, because you don’t trust us – which is, frankly, quite insulting.”

Tyelcano closed his eyes for a moment. “You misunderstand…”

“Then enlighten me!”

“Thel,” said Laurefindil, “I must say you are not exactly trust-inspiring at the moment.”

“He lied to us!”

“None may call me a liar!” said Tyelcano, his voice suddenly cold. “And none may coax an explanation out of me, either; for there is nothing I feel obliged to explain.”

Warden and Counsellor eyed each other hotly for a terrible moment, ready to fight; but then, Laurefindil stepped between them, arms outstretched.

“Something evil is at work here,” he said. “Do you not sense it? It is turning us against each other, dividing us, seeking our ruin. Remember your friendship!”

“Friends are honest with each other,” said Ecthelion.

“Friends are patient with each other,” said Tyelcano. “And they do not always assume the worst.” He looked away. “I did not tell you the true story of my coming here because I felt terribly ashamed of it. There is your explanation. And now…”

Caw. Caw. Caw.

The crow was still staring at them with clever eyes; it flew over to a nearby rooftop, then came back to knock on the window again.

“I think he wants us to follow,” said Laurefindil slowly. “He will show us something.”

“Last time, I almost lost an eye to that beak,” said Tyelcano. “And a leg. And my life.”

The crow tilted its head, almost tauntingly. His friends were looking at him, alert, yet thoughtful.

“…let us go, then,” he said.

*

The crow led them along the Road of Pomps, though the Place of the Well and all around the Alley of Roses; and then, it flew on and on, to a district Tyelcano had never visited before. Fear and anticipation were building slowly in his chest; that, and the smouldering feeling of shame, for Ecthelion and Laurefindil walked on his two sides, and he told them what truly happened in the barren lands of Dimbar.

“So the mighty warrior broke his leg because he got scared of a crow,” said Ecthelion, and his voice softened. “Still, he cannot be free of his shame. Anardil was right, you know – you should be called Lord Mopey.”

Laurefindil crossed his arms in deep thought as he walked.

“Has it never occurred to you that the crow was merely showing you the way, same as it does now? Suffering such an injury might have been the only way you could find your path to our City. There must be a reason behind your coming here.”

Tyelcano kept his eyes firmly on the crow, now settled on top of a lone pillar, waiting for them to catch up.

“I thought I knew evil at work when I saw it,” he said. “And when I last saw this crow, I suspected that the Enemy himself had sent it; yet I am no longer so sure. When I set out with my lord’s message to the High King and turned back to look at my home for one last time, I felt, with utter certainty, that I would never see the Himring again. Maybe all of this has been intended, decided. I was there, after all, when the Doom of Mandos was pronounced! Tears unnumbered ye shall shed, it said. Maybe these are my tears: maybe it is time for them to start falling.”

Laurefindil’s hand was heavy upon his shoulder.

“The Valar are not without mercy,” he said. “I believe that quite strongly. So I must believe, or else I would cast myself down the Caragdûr – which is where this crow seems to be leading us in any case. Most curious!”

And so it happened indeed: for the crow disappeared behind a high stone wall, into which a thin arch had been cut. As he stepped through it, Tyelcano found himself on the edge of a black precipice of rock, so thickly covered in ice, that had Ecthelion not pulled him back immediately, he would have found his swift and terrifying end in the depths of the abyss beneath.

“See?!” Tyelcano exclaimed. “That bird is trying to kill me!”

“You are trying to kill yourself,” said Ecthelion, his hands warm and steady on his arms, “by not using your wits. Look to your right!”

Tyelcano turned his head and glimpsed a set of chains, welded deep into the stone arch. Too startled even to feel ashamed, he grabbed them, and took a cautious step towards the edge of the precipice. It felt like staring at death itself; the howls of the wind echoed in the dizzying depths of the abyss, and the void below the Caragdûr enticed him, drew him in.

Caw, caw, caw, said the crow. It settled atop the arch, raspy screams unceasing. Caw, caw, caw.

“It is trying to show us something!” Laurefindil exclaimed. “Down there!”

“There is nothing there but death,” said Ecthelion, suddenly perturbed. “We should not have come. Step back slowly, Tyel, but not until your feet are steady. Let us go home.”

But Tyelcano paid no heed to him. He secured the chains around his waist instead; and handed them to Laurefindil.

“Here,” he said. “If you let me fall, I will come back from Mandos to haunt you.”

“What are you doing?!” Ecthelion snapped. “This is as idiotic as it is dangerous!”

“That it is,” Tyelcano agreed, “yet alas, it is also necessary!”

Lying on his stomach, he crept to the edge of the icy rock, inch by inch, staring down into the depths of the Caragdûr – and what he glimpsed there made his mouth dry and his heart race. The precipice rose high above the city, and below it was a great fissure in the earth, reaching far below the green valley of Tumladen; a narrow, moist gap of sharp stones and terrible depths.

And yet it was also there, clearly visible even in the dim half-light of the oncoming storm –

A path.

Steep, slippery, deadly, covered with thick layers of ice, carved out by some long-dried river, narrow, dangerous, impassable, and doubtlessly unused for centuries at the very least – but it was a path.

Caw. Caw. Caw.

The crow left the high arch and dived steeply down the Caragdûr, then disappeared at the bottom of the fissure.

Tyelcano stared after it with great bewilderment.

There was a way out.


Chapter End Notes

'Narvinyë' is Quenya for January.

On the secret passage: it is said in 'The Fall of Gondolin' that Morgoth did not attack the city through the gates but he had found another way in. In 'The Fall', he attacks from the north, and as (1) the Caragdûr is located on the north side of the city of Gondolin and (2) it is an iconic location in itself, it felt natural to me to place my Convenient Secret Passage right there. As you can imagine, the existence of this "path" (though "path" might be a bit too optimistic name for it) will cause a great deal of trouble, but perhaps not the kind of trouble you might imagine.

The Vote

Turgon sets an impromptu Small Council meeting; Tyelcano demonstrates his loyalty. All kinds of drama and friendly sap ensue.

Read The Vote

An hour later

Warden, Captain and Counsellor all stormed into the makeshift council meeting in a disarray of soaked garments and muddy boots. The wind has been in their hair; and Lómion raised an eyebrow at them as they trooped into the King’s study room, leaving a wet stain on the carpet.

“Apologies, Highness,” said Ecthelion smoothly, making sure that the worst of the half-melted snow that kept rolling off his cloak would land on the young advisor’s notes. “We did not expect to be on duty today.”

“I must thank you for making yourselves available on such a short notice,” said the King, as if that was anything less than natural. “And yet… my friends, the weather is quite terrible! May I inquire why would you all spend your free day outside?”

The three Elves looked at each other.

“A bet,” said Laurefindil.

Now not only the King, but Counsellor Lómion, Chief Advisor Galdor and Great Master Rog were also staring at them with open bewilderment. To his great surprise, Tyelcano glimpsed Anardil in the background, lounging in one of the great armchairs by the fireplace.

“Excellent, Captain,” he said, as reproachful as he could make himself sound. “Of the great many ways one could explain our predicament, you have successfully chosen the most ridiculous.”

“There has been a bet, though,” Laurefindil countered.

“And you won,” said Ecthelion with a theatrical wave of his hand. “Now, let us not waste the Small Council’s time any longer.”

The three of them settled around the table, facing the others – side by side, the way they have always done in the past months –, and looked expectantly at the King.

“Very well,” said Turukáno. “There is something we must discuss before tomorrow’s long council session. I want you select few to know about it, so the rest of the city can be freed of the burden of unnecessary knowledge.”

“With your permission, Highness,” said Lómion, his voice clear and ruthless, “is it also your bidding that Anardil of the Falmari should witness this conversation?”

“Aye,” said the King lightly. “I invited him today myself, for I strongly believe that we could all benefit from his insight on the matter we shall now discuss.”

Tyelcano needed every modicum of his self-control to sit in his great carved chair with his shoulders relaxed, wait, and maintain an expression of polite interest on his otherwise stoic face. His heart was beating hard and fast, as if he had run many miles, and irrational thoughts chased each other in his head.

There was a way out of the Hidden City; and some greater power – good or bad, it mattered not –, showed it to him.

It has been intended for him to come here: which meant that he was not the mere endurer of some obscure fate. He needed to act.

There was a way for him to change things.

“News have come from Voronwë, I trust?” said Great Master Rog. “In all honesty, I expected him to turn up at this meeting already.”

A shadow of worry ghosted through the King’s face.

“That is precisely why we have all gathered here today, my friends,” he said at length. “My kinsman, Voronwë is two months late. This, ultimately, leaves us with two possible courses of action that are known to all.”

“They are not known to me, Majesty,” said Anardil. “What are those?”

“Sending another envoy to gather news, or shutting the Gates, essentially,” said Lómion, his annoyance barely concealed. “And I must say that in the light of recent events, I am leaning towards the latter solution.”

“What do you mean, shutting the Gates?” Anardil was openly scandalized. “Will no one search for Voronwë? What if he was captured like me? Tortured?”

“That will not happen,” said Rog. “Envoys of the Hidden City shall sooner pass on to Mandos than reveal anything they know. If the servants of the Enemy truly captured him, I can assure you that Voronwë Aranwion died a swift and painless death as soon as they laid hands upon him.”

“And that is supposed to be reassuring?” Anardil snapped.

“It is,” said Ecthelion. “The same thing is expected of me, should I ever be captured by the servants of Moringotto. Or anyone in this room. We know too much.”

“None of us would ever willingly reveal our secrets to the Enemy,” Master Rog agreed, “and yet, we cannot take the risk. No one knows what torments one will suffer if carried to Angamando.”

“No one but my lord Nelyafinwë,” said Tyelcano. “And he says that in the event of one’s capture, the only reliable path of escape is a dagger through the heart; and that route he advises one to choose, if taken by the Enemy.”

“Sounds like a cheerful fellow,” said Anardil. “So – essentially, you are all telling me that my friend is either lost or dead, and we are all expected to just sit here and do nothing.”

“I was unaware that Voronwë Aranwion has ever been your friend,” said Lómion. “All this time, I remained under the impression that he could not even stand the sight of you.”

“That he cannot,” said Anardil, “but he saved my life! I shan’t forget that. The bards only ever sing about unrequited love – it is time for unrequited friendship to have its due, d’you think not?”

“I have considered sending an envoy after Voronwë,” said King Turukáno, “but there is no one in this realm who knows these lands nearly so well. It seems that once again I must ask for the help of the Eagles – and it is my command that none of you should speak of my kinsman’s disappearance in the Council. Not yet – not until we have been convinced that it is, in fact, a case of disappearance.”

“You have my word, Highness,” said Lómion, and the others agreed as well, one after the other.

“Very well,” said the King. “Now all that remains is to discuss what, in your opinion, our City should do if the tale of Beren, Lúthien and the stolen Silmaril proves to be true; if my brother and my cousins indeed take up arms and march against the Enemy. I want you to be honest with me – but I also want the entire Small Council to be of the same eventual public opinion, should this matter be made a subject of vote among the Twelve Houses.”

“I say we fight,” said Laurefindil immediately. “It is only natural that we should come to their aid. They are our kinsmen!”

“I say we fight as well,” said Ecthelion. “Our forces are mighty, and no Orc or dragon can stand in our way. Not even the Valaraukar, would the Enemy release them upon us again. I should dearly like to slay one… and I wager I would sooner accomplish this deed than our Captain here.”

“I will save your skin from it, and then slay it,” said Laurefindil.

“And I will cheer you on, from the greatest conceivable distance,” said Anardil. “Aye! If my opinion is truly so valuable to you, Majesty, then hear it: I, too, believe that you should help those in need. A little retaliation for the Flames would be in order, I think.”

“I would not be so quick to march into battle,” said Rog. “We still do not know anything; and pardon my words, but the day I fight for the Seven Sons will be the day Mandos comes for us all.”

“That day may come very soon if the Enemy’s power grows any further,” said Tyelcano dryly. The rapid beating of his heart was slowing down, the cogwheels of his mind set in motion as he saw the singular opportunity that was granted to him.

“I would not march into battle, either,” said Galdor. “I am not convinced that we stand a chance against the Enemy. We do not know nearly enough to act – although I do believe that messages should be exchanged with King Findekáno.”

“I am saddened to see that some are blinded by rage and sorrow,” Lómion sighed. “Aye, the Enemy has done terrible things; and aye, it is only natural that those outside of this realm are trying to survive. And yet, do we must share their tribulations? It is indeed a privilege that we live in peace and prosperity; and it is a terrible thing that others must suffer. Still, this does not mean that we should suffer, too.”

“That is very true, Lómion,” said King Turukáno quietly. “It does not. This is a very difficult question indeed, which is why I want us all to agree on it.”

“I do not think that full agreement is possible,” said Ecthelion, “but it seems that our decision is made. Galdor, Lómion and Rog would stay; Laurefindil, Anardil and I would go, which makes three against three. With Tyelcano, that will be four against three; so the collective opinion is set. Unless you decide otherwise as our King, the Council wants to fight.”

“Anardil is not a member of the Small Council,” said Lómion smoothly, “so that will be three against three. We are at a draw.”

“Anardil was called in to vote, the way others are oft called in in the absence of Voronwë so our King could still hear seven different opinions,” said Ecthelion. “And he has voted, whether you like it or not. It is decided.”

“I, however, have not spoken on this matter yet,” said Tyelcano. When every head turned to him in response, he folded his hands elegantly in his lap, and allowed himself a rueful smile. “And with the King’s permission, I would like to stay silent on it, and let the Small Council remain at a draw.”

“What do you mean, stay silent?” Anardil was staring at him as though he had just grown second head. “This is exactly what you want! If we do this, you can go home!”

Tyelcano closed his eyes for a moment.

“The question the King of this Realm has asked us does not concern my heart’s desire,” he said. “It concerns the well-being of this City and its people. If I were to vote for what, in my honest opinion, is best for Ondolindë, by doing so, I would break the oath of loyalty I have sworn for my lord Nelyafinwë.”

Everyone stared at him; and he looked the King in the eye, stern, unyielding.

“I beg you,” said Tyelcano softly, “do not ask this of me. You know very well what you should do if the protection of your realm is truly your foremost intention; and useful as the counsel of others might be, you alone, Turukáno, must decide what your foremost intention should be. That is my last word.”

Silence fell on the room, and everyone stared at Tyelcano in great wonder.

“You are one of a kind, Counsellor,” said Rog, at length. “I think I owe you an apology. For thinking you were a Feanorean spy, and all.”

“I do as well,” said Lómion, his voice strangely aloof.

“Let us forget this,” said Tyelcano, as lightly as he could manage, “and act as though I have never said anything. The Small Council is at a draw, and the King shall decide what its standpoint must be in an eventual debate, if Voronwë returns. All things might change in an instant, then; or they might remain the same. We shall learn more with time, I am certain of it.”

He deliberately avoided the half-incredulous, half-indignant looks of his friends, watching the King closely instead; but Turukáno did naught but stare at his own clasped hands in deep thought.

“The Small Council is dismissed,” he said at length. “I suggest you all stay as guests in my Halls for the night. The storm shall be quite pitiless, or so I am told.”

The members of the council stood and headed for the door with hasty bows; but when Tyelcano stepped away from his chair, the King held his arm.

“Stay,” he said gently. “And close the door when the others left.”

Tyelcano did as he was told, although he wanted nothing more than leave, and lock himself up in his own quarters for the night. He needed desperately to think, to evaluate, to measure his next step.

“I am thankful for what you did today,” said the King when they were alone. “It must have been very difficult for you.”

“It was,” said Tyelcano. “The question is – did I do it because I want the best for your realm, or did I do it to gain your trust?”

Turukáno smiled at him.

“Both, I think,” he said. “Although you would never openly mention it if you did not know that I understood. Indeed, I understand. I learned much more than you think.”

“And what is it that you learnt?”

“That I can trust you to speak from your heart; but I shall never have it. And the truth – or falsity – of that assumption is exactly what I had hoped to deduce from tonight’s council session.”

Tyelcano stared at him.

“Why would you say that, Turukáno? You are, as you have reminded me yourself, a grandson to Finwë who made me one of his House. I shall serve you as I have served him.”

“But your heart belongs to Nelyafinwë in a way that it shall never belong to me.”

“That it does; and I have as little choice in such matters as you do. Yet, in no way does this mean that my heart holds no warmth to you, or your brother; nor does it mean that I would not give my life to save yours; nor does it mean that I will give you false counsel to bend your will towards my own. What I did today was no theatrics to lull your suspicion; this you can expect from me at all times.”

“For that, I am thankful,” said the King, but his voice rang hollow; and suddenly, impossibly, Tyelcano was reminded of the pouty little boy he had once pulled in his lap and showed him Fëanáro’s new set of tengwar so he could write.

“I can see that I have displeased you,” he said softly, “yet I do not know how.”

Turukáno was silent for a long time.

“Have you never wondered why I have chosen to hide among these mountains?” he spoke at length. “Why do I never care to meet my brother? Other than the story of Ulmo’s guidance and my City’s foundation, of course, which do have a nice ring to them.”

“You care more than you know,” said Tyelcano gently. “You hope to learn more from Voronwë about your brother than about the stolen Silmaril, the state of Beleriand, or anything else. You always search for him.”

“Aye,” said Turukáno, “and he never searches for me.”

Tyelcano tilted his head.

“Am I witnessing a high stakes game of hide-and-seek between two Kings?”

“Findekáno does not want to find me! He does not care! He has always cared more about Nelyafinwë than his own brother; and if given the choice, then Nelyafinwë he shall choose, same as you.”

Tyelcano closed his eyes for a moment, knowing that he should thread lightly.

“I have had this very same conversation with your father and Fëanáro, many years ago. Must I truly have it with you as well?”

“Valar, that conversation did not work out very well, did it?”

“Love is not a competition,” said Tyelcano with a sigh. “Least of all brotherly love. I understand why you may feel abandoned by Findekáno – but has it ever occurred to you that he might feel abandoned as well? You were not there when Moringotto’s dragon attacked Ard-Galen; when we met the first Men; when the Flames came, and your father went to Mandos. Nelyafinwë was almost killed by that dragon, admired by those Men, and burned by those Flames. At all times, he was there for your brother; in joy and sorrow, in trials and tribulations, in hope and despair, for so he had promised.”

“And yet he sailed from Alqualondë,” said Turukáno bitterly.

“He also stood aside, withstanding his father’s wrath, when the ships of the Teleri were burned,” said Tyelcano. “He always remained true to his cousin and dearest friend; while I followed Fëanáro, torch in hand, the blood of my kin still dripping from my blade. And yet your wrath has turned against Nelyafinwë and not me. Worse: against your brother, and not me. Do you deem that just?”

“I do not know what is just,” said Turukáno. “At times, I feel terribly alone. This is not what Father or Grandfather would have wanted. None of this! We should have never left Aman.”

“Yet we have; and in Beleriand we must remain, for our homeland is lost for us until the end of our days. Denying that would be as asinine as it is futile.”

“Do you believe, then, that we are doomed to die here?” said Turukáno. “All of us?”

“I know not.” Tyelcano’s eyes were distant. “If Nelyafinwë and his brothers fulfilled their Oath, though… if the two remaining Jewels were reclaimed from the Enemy’s crown, and if Thingol gave up the third…”

“Do you honestly believe that is possible?”

“When Fëanáro died, I thought our days in these lands would prove equally short and bitter,” said Tyelcano. “But then…”

“Speak no more!” said Turukáno reproachfully. “I know what you shall say: but then, Nelyafinwë came back from the dead, and the Orcs flee before his face, and the dragons fear his name; and come battle or strife, he shall draw his sword and mount his horse and make everything right again. You are just as enamoured with him as my brother. You both forget what he did.”

“I will never forget,” said Tyelcano, “but I did worse. What is more, I have also witnessed many a deed he accomplished since Losgar, and I will tell you this: if someone, anyone in these lands has a chance to vanquish the Enemy, it is Nelyafinwë. But to do that, he shall need your help as much as he needs Findekáno’s.”

“The day I believe we stand a chance against Moringotto, I will grant him my help,” said Turukáno. “Not a day sooner, and not a moment later. That much, I can sincerely promise. That day, the House of Finwë shall once again be united; and the Enemy shall learn to fear our names.”

“You do not think you shall see that day.”

“I did not think that my father shall challenge Moringotto to single combat, either,” said Turukáno, his voice suddenly thick with grief. “If it was not the Lord of the Eagles himself who told me, I would not have believed it. It was the only time I had felt in my heart that he and Fëanáro were truly related.”

“I have felt so more times than I can count,” said Tyelcano softly. “With Findekáno as well. With you as well, whether you like it or not.”

Turukáno studied him intently for a while; then abruptly, he looked away.

“You are a lot more honest with me than I expected,” he said. “Indeed! I trusted Anardil with the delivery of painful truths during this council session; yet all he gave me was a moving demonstration of loyalty to Voronwë, who denied him his friendship.”

“Anardil has a good heart,” said Tyelcano. “For that reason alone do I tolerate him in my presence.”

“You like him,” Turukáno decided.

“As do you. For what other reason would you invite a painter’s apprentice to your Small Council? Surely, you could have found another Elf to speak as the voice of honesty.”

“The dreams,” said the King. “Somehow, I feel like Anardil is significant. For what other reason would he see the same visions as I? Although I must confess, I have seen none since Tarnin Austa. Have you?”

Tyelcano shook his head. He briefly considered telling the King about the crow; but the mere possibility of mentioning the newly discovered secret passage along the way was unthinkable.

“The dreams almost feel like a legend for me now,” he said slowly. “Far away, half-forgotten. I have not had a vision since I came here.”

A smile ghosted through Turukáno’s face.

“Speaking of legends,” he said. “What is it with you and Salgant? I have heard some colourful stories...”

“That is all they are,” said Tyelcano with tact. “Stories. I certainly hope that you cannot picture me chasing the Lord of the Harp around with some Wooden Spoone, or Wooden Pike, or anything of the sort.”

“My personal favourite is the Flower-Stake,” said the King, his eyes gleaming with open mirth. “Amusement aside, I hope that this matter can be resolved with time. I shall not have enmity within my Council.”

“As you say, Highness,” said Tyelcano solemnly.

Outside, the wind was rising.

The storm had come.

*

When Tyelcano entered his rooms, he was greeted by the sight of Ecthelion and Laurefindil settled in the two armchairs facing the desk in his spacious study. Anardil was there, too, pacing to and fro in front of the immense window of painted glass. Outside, the wind was howling; the cityscape remained hidden behind a curtain of furiously swirling snow.

“Next time you decide to high-handedly occupy my quarters, make sure you get the fire going beforehand,” said the Counsellor lightly. “I am used to the cold, but you are going to suffer for the rest of the night.”

“Is it always this cold where you come from?” Anardil frowned. “Small wonder the Seven Sons keep setting everything on fire.”

Tyelcano crossed his arms, suddenly finding that his patience had run thin.

“I am not in a very high mood this evening,” he said, “so any further insult bestowed upon my family must wait until the morrow. And now, if you will all excuse me, I wish to sleep through this storm.”

“Not until we have talked,” said Ecthelion. “You owe us an explanation.”

“An explanation for what?” Tyelcano spread his arms. “Do I need to teach members of the Small Council how politics work?”

“Your wrath is misdirected,” said Laurefindil.

“I am tired,” said Tyelcano, “and I cannot suffer explaining things to people who already understand them. You know why I could not weigh my opinion against anyone’s on this matter; not now, not when the King himself is undecided. With my vote, we may have won a small battle, but not the war. I am fairly surprised that Rog or Lómion did not immediately understand what I was up to – or if they did, they have perfected the art of concealment.”

“No,” said Laurefindil, “you did not act out of mere interest or calculation. It was evident that you did not; and that is why they were both so impressed with you. But this does not explain everything. I would not go as far as saying that we can guess your every thought, but we do know you a little bit by now, Tyel! For long months you have grieved for yourself; and then today, everything changed. All of a sudden, you look like a hound that caught scent. You have a new plan, and you think that we cannot see it!”

“It is all because of the crow,” said Tyelcano. “Its coming could not have been an accident! That crow was sent for us, to show us something – with time, we might eventually come to understand why it had brought us to the Caragdûr.”

“The crow?” Anardil quit his pacing. “Like the crows from the dreams? You really did see a crow up here in the mountains, in the dead of winter?”

“We have no time for this,” said Ecthelion. “I know what you have seen. Listen carefully, Tyelcano of the Star, because I, the Warden of the Gates, am hanging on a thread above the bottomless pit of treason when I speak of this: the path you seek is deadly, and dangerous, and designed to kill those who decide to step upon it. Should you take it now, you will never make it through alive! Even in the height of summer, if you take one wrong turn and lose your way, the only path that will carry you out of the Orfalch Echor is through Mandos. Do not go down there! Do not even think about it.”

“A path!” Laurefindil exclaimed. “So it truly exists, then! How come I did not see it?”

“There is a way out of the City, Lord Mopey found it and he is still here with us?” Anardil was looking at them with mock bewilderment. “What in the world!”

“If I had any strength left to take offense, I would now,” said Tyelcano warily. He turned away from his friends, and stared aimlessly at the window, now covered thickly with snow. “I have been blinded by my discovery indeed,” he admitted. “There is a secret passage through the Caragdûr, out of this City, or so it seems; and I am convinced that the crow was sent here to show that path to us. To me. And for what other reason could such a path be revealed than for me to step on it?”

“Do not go close to it, I beg you!” said Ecthelion. “With all the ice and snow outside, you shan’t even make it down to the opening alive. Be patient and wait! If Voronwë comes back, he will have news for us all, and you might find that you shall not have to plan your escape; for you shall leave, and the entire City shall follow. You are not the only one who wants to act: most of us share the same desire. For Laurefindil and myself, at least, I may speak: for we both want to fight, to slay Orcs, to set Beleriand free again.”

“You can trust us,” said Laurefindil. “If we learn the truth of what happened in Beleriand, and the Council debates the matter, we shall stand with you, always; and if at that time, your heart still aches to go back to your lord, we will do everything within our power to get you home. We are your friends, Tyel; and we shall not see you suffer.”

“Valar save us indeed from all the melancholic stares, hushed no-thank-you-s and dramatic exits from dining halls!” Anardil agreed. “We shall have no more of that.”

Tyelcano looked at his friends with open fondness.

“I am grateful for that,” he said, as better words failed him. “And do stay for the night. I am told that the book selection Turukáno has made for me is most remarkable.”


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Laerthel has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Organization/Structure, Pacing, Plot, Point of View, Research, Sensitivity Read, Setting, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics, Style, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.