Unexpected Nesting by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Unexpected Naming

So here we get to the Naming Day, and the Valar's reaction...


Elwing regarded her babies with alternating feelings of joy and concern. She could only nurse two, and Eönwë had seen this would be a problem at once. Their first visitor after the hatching was a graceful albatross, who shed her avian form to stand before them in the shape of the former first Queen of Doriath.

"Daeriel."

"Daernana Melian." Elwing smiled in relief at her mentor and teacher in the ways of birds. "I...um..." Her relief faded somewhat under the Maia's regard. "Did Lord Eönwë..."

 

"I understand how elflings are made, daeriel-laes," Melian said with a chuckle. "I understand how this came about, as well. You will have no censure from me. Eönwë has explained his role in this and his only intent was to keep your children alive. None fault him for his...enthusiasm."

Elwing nodded. "I will need a wetnurse. I cannot handle four."

"Hmm. Eönwë asked me to help you. Will that be acceptable, daeriel?" Melian asked, and Elwing nodded gratefully. It did not surprise her that Melian took the half-Maiar to her breast. The Lady of Aewellond saw to feeding her smaller son and daughter, stroking their downy dark hair as they nursed. When all four had been seen to, all their needs met, they were tucked back in the nest. Melian and Elwing resumed their seats on the low couch by the nest, and Elwing exhaled, shuddering.

"Daernana..."

"Hmm?" Melian patted her shoulder comfortingly. "What is it you fear, child?"

"What will...everyone say?" Elwing's face was pale as she turned to Melian. "They think Eärendil and I odd enough already as we are. Now this..."

 

"Everyone. Hmm, yes," Melian murmured. "I often worried about what 'everyone' would think when I came home to Aman after so long away, as well. But I realised I could never be sorry for staying for Elu and Luthien - or for leaving once they were gone. I was bound to them, not to Arda or even to Doriath. Once they were no more, my life was here."

"If you had stayed, maybe the Sons of Feanor wouldn't--" Elwing hushed when Melian touched a finger to her lips.

"Now, let's not start that again," she said. "They cannot touch you here, they cannot touch these children. You wanted to know what everyone will say about these children. I imagine at the Naming Day, you will find out." Melian raised an eyebrow at Elwing. "Had you and Eärendil considered names at all?"

 

Elwing regarded the four - eagle and seagull, four chicks huddled together again - and shrugged slightly. "A little," she said. "No doubt the...shifting should be considered, and Lord Eönwë ought to have a say."

 

"Indeed. Lord Eönwë certainly ought to have a say," Melian agreed with a nod.

Elwing and Melian kept each other and the babies company while Eärendil was gone, and Eönwë visited whenever he could. So the first week passed.

On Valanya, a trembling Elwing made ready. The babies were quiescent, carried one by each of them - Elwing with her small daughter in her arms, Melian carrying the larger. Eönwë and Eärendil each carried their own son. The Naming Day ceremony was to be held in Valmar, in the mansion of Ulmo.

 

Eönwë had been surprised at Elwing's request. "Lord Ulmo?" he repeated. "But surely my Lord Manwë..."

"I do hope the Elder King shall not be offended," Elwing had replied. "Of course I have no doubt all the Valar would like to be there, as well as whichever Maiar they wish to bring. But Lord Ulmo has been a...guardian of our family, shall we say, and I would be most grateful to the Lord of Waters if he would host us."

Eönwë had become less 'present' as he made the effort to ask Ulmo, and 'returned' with an answer, thoroughly surprised. "He said "Yes, of course, where else?"

Earendil laughed at that. So now, they entered Valmar and headed for the great mansion of Lord Ulmo. It was built of coral and sea-glass, and roofed with seashells; a gate made of a single giant pearl swung open to admit them. Situated in the center of a great lake, the only way to reach the mansion was by crossing great stepping-stones formed of giant sea-turtle shells. Eonwe and Melian made the crossing without difficulty, Earendil and Elwing only a little less sure of their footing than the Maiar. Salmar, Lord Ulmo's Chief Maia and steward, showed them into the great throne room, where Ulmo sat amid basins that caught the seawater dripping from his hair, beard, and clothing.

 

Also present were Ingwe Ingaran and Queen Elindis, Olwë Lindaran and Queen Lirillë, and Arafinwë Noldòran with Queen Eärwen. Ingwion, Lindarion, and Findaráto were there as their parents' heirs. Eärendil and Elwing were, it turned out, the last to arrive. As the Peredhil greeted their relatives, then made their obeisance to the Lord of Waters, the thirteen other Valar made their presence known in a shimmer of light too bright for the Elves to look at. Each had their Chief Maia with them, save for Lord Manwë, who had Fionwë at his side. Eönwë looked surprised by this.

"But, my Lord..."

"You have your own part to play in this, my son," the Elder King said with a brief smile, his bright blue eyes ringed with gold radiating joy.

"My...oh," Eönwë tried not to blush, but found it difficult. Lord Ulmo rose, purple eyes sweeping the assembled. "Today is a joyous day," he said, smiling. "We receive among us the children of the Lord Eärendil, son of Ondolindë-That-Was, and of the Lady Elwing, last Queen of Lestanorë. Also, the children of the Lady Elwing by one of our own, Eönwë, Herald of Manwë, whose begetting may have been unforeseen by the Powers but never by the One."

"It was an accident," Eönwë mumbled, blushing, as there was a stir among the elven rulers of Eldamar and their heirs.

"There are no accidents, my son," Manwë said with a faint smile. "Merely unforeseen circumstances. Your children are no less loved by Atar or by us than those of the Lord Eärendil's seed."

Now the Mariner was blushing, and Elwing kissed him softly in reassurance. "Pray continue, my Lord," she said hastily.

Ulmo nodded, moving on. "What names have been given these children, sons and daughters of the Lady Elwing? What father-names shall they bear?" Eärendil looked into the large bassinet that had been set before them. All four children lay inside. He and Eonwe lifted their sons.

"They shall each bear a name from each of us," Eönwë said.

 

"Ulmondil I name my son," Eärendil said. "For he is born of the Sea, gifted by the Lord of Waters."

"To Ulmondil I would gift the name Ullukeluth," Eönwë said. "For he is a reflection of his elder brothers across the Sea, but also he shall be clear-sighted, and possess great wisdom."

 

Elwing received Ulmondil into her embrace and kissed him, then handed him to Lord Manwë. The Elder King gave Ulmondil his blessing, and the infant was passed in turn to each of the Valar, before finishing with Lord Ulmo whose name he bore. Lord Ulmo whispered his own blessing over the child, and returned him to rest with his sisters.

"What will you name your son, Eönwë?" Eärendil asked.

The Maia shook his head. "He is yours too, Eärendil. You may speak first for him," he prompted.

The Mariner ran his fingers lightly over the more than half-Maia babe's brow, regarding the bright child with wonder. "Then Annael do I name thee, pityaquen," he said softly. "For thou'rt a gift to me and my lady."

"Annael do I name Tulukurush," Eönwë replied, "for see, he is golden, and his eyes shine bright with the fire of knowledge."

 

As Annael was passed from one Vala to the next to receive their blessing, Elwing and Melian handed the girls over to Eärendil and Eönwë.

Lord Tulkas spent rather a long time examining Annael, and had to be pressed into giving him over by Nessa. He laughed, startling the infant, and pressed a kiss of benediction to the baby's brow before handing him over. At last Annael joined Ulmondil in the bassinet, and then it was the turn of Eärendil and Elwing's daughter.

The small, dark-haired babe focused on Eärendil with her clear blue eyes as he held her.

"Elentariel do I name thee, my daughter, for thou'rt a child of stars, beloved of the air," he said. He glanced at Varda, who smiled serenely, taking no offense whatsoever.

"Elentariel doth Eärendil name thee, pityaquen. Yet I would name thee Ulluinithil, for thou art a daughter of the Sea as much as the stars," Eönwë said.

 

Varda made much of Elentariel, and both she and Manwe spent time with the child. Last came Eönwë's daughter, and Eärendil regarded her thoughtfully.

"Glorfinniel do I name thee, in honour of my dearest friend," he said softly.

"And Phanaínithil do I name thee, in honour of one of my dearest friends," Eonwe replied. "For thou art bright where thy sister is dark, but the fairest flowers would be envious of ye, our daughters."

When Glorfinniel, too, had been shared around by the Valar and made as much of as her brothers and sister, Elwing gave Earendil a tired smile.

"I suppose we have not shown them to our kin properly yet," she said. The rulers of Eldamar were still waiting and watching patiently, allowing the Valar to see the elflings first.

Earendil nodded. "We should do so," he said, though he wondered what the kings, queens, and princes would have to say. Ingwe's potential reaction, in particular, worried him.


Chapter End Notes

Ulmondil = "friend of Ulmo"

Annael literally "star-gift", after Earendil's foster-grandfather

Elentariel "Star-queen daughter"

"Glorfinniel" "Goldilocks" (see The King's Letter). Obviously she is named for Glorfindel (I wonder what he'll think of that?)

 

Eonwe's "quessi" are Valarin. They are the names of Ainur of the Timeless Halls, OCs named by Fiondil in some of his ficlets and I use them here in honor of Fiondil. Here are some notes about the original Ainur Eonwe named the elflings for:

Ullukeluth = Water Mirror (known for his exceptional wisdom and exquisite poetry)

Tulukurush = Golden Fire (Tulkas' cousin)

Ulluinithil = Water Lily (she had particular concern for the Valar's building of Ea being thwarted by Melkor)

Phanainithil = Bright Lily (known for her particularly bad poetry, but also her resolve to keep trying to improve).


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment