Unexpected Nesting by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Many Meetings

I know, I know, I broke from the "Unexpected" titles, I'm sorry! But these meetings weren't exactly unexpected!


Eonwe and Melian took up Annael and Glorfinniel, while Earendil and Elwing held Ulmondil and Elentariel. The two Peredhil and two Maiar, carrying the newborns, approached first Ingwe Ingaran, as was proper.

"Uncle," Earendil said, for that was safe enough; he knew vaguely his connection to the High King. "May we present these children who have been added unto our family?"

Ingwe nodded graciously. "It would be my honour to meet them, Nephew."

Earendil smiled, feeling rather shy before the great King. "This is my son Ulmondil. I named him so due to the great friendship between my House and the Lord of Waters." Ingwe gently stroked the dark hair. "He is a quiet child. I think he will prove one to listen first, and speak second. A valuable thing."

Earendil nodded,. Meanwhile Elwing presented Elentariel to the Ingatari, Queen Elindis, who was startled when Elentariel took her seagull form. The tiny chick was soon joined by her brother, for Ulmondil had noted his sister's shift. Elwing cupped both chicks in her hands and stepped aside as the Maiar presented Annael and Glorfinniel. She knelt down, cooing softly to them, and softly remonstrating that they must learn to control their shifting powers. It would not do to behave so in front of the High King and Queen of All the Elves.

Ingwion, meanwhile, separated himself from his parents and knelt by Elwing, eyes alight with amusement. "Do they all do that?" he asked, quirking his mouth upward.

"With Annael and Glorfinniel, it's eagles, Highness," Elwing said absently.

Ingwion glanced up. "Oh. So it is," he agreed, for now they had four chicks to deal with again. At least Eonwe was dealing with that before it could get too out of hand. "Well, Atar and Amme need a little shaking up sometimes."

"Do they?" Elwing blinked.

"Oh yes. If everything went as expected at Court, they'd become boring," Ingwion said lightly. "Anyway, I think your elflings are fascinating, Lady Elwing. You needn't fear me saying anything."

Elwing smiled gratefully at Ingwion, coaxing Ulmondil and Elentariel back into their Pereldarin form. The infants yawned up at her, and she rocked them gently, soothing them as she went to Olwë.

"Uncle Olwë," she said. "Aunt Lirillë, cousin Lindarion, may I present Ulmondil and Elentáriel?" The Lindarin royal trio greeted Elwing and her children warmly - Annael and Glorfinniel included, once they had been brought over. Lirille took the baby girls in her lap, singing softly to them, as Olwë and Lindarion made much of their brothers.

"Ulmondil will be a mariner on the Great Sea, like his father," Olwë mused.

"I do not doubt it, Atar," Lindarion agreed. "Annael..." He paused, brow creasing as he tried to find the words for what he was seeing.

"Elentáriel would make a fine ship's captain herself one day," Olwë added as Lirillë gave him the child in exchange for Ulmondil. Lindarion, taking up Glorfinniel, studied her. "I think Glorfinniel will have...higher pursuits in mind, Atar," he offered. "As will Annael."

Olwe nodded.

"Perhaps they will study at Ingwe's Academy," Eärendil offered, having heard nothing but good of it. "Being a lore-master is a high calling."

"They may well do so, Nephew," Lirille agreed. Eärendil bowed.

 

As the family approached the last of the royal guests, Findaráto intercepted them. "Greetings, Lord Eärendil, Lady Elwing," he said. "Greetings, hinyar. I am called Finrod."

"Finrod Felagund, that Finrod?" Eärendil said warily.

Finrod laughed. "The last time I checked, Cousin." He gave Eärendil, then Elwing, a kinsman's kiss in greeting. "Come, meet my atar and ammë," he said, eyes sparkling with merriment. "I promise, they don't bite."

Arafinwë and Eärwen listened to all this, greatly amused. "Reborn," Arafinwë murmured, and Eärwen nodded, laughing softly to herself.

"This is my atar and ammë," Finrod told the Peredhil. "Atar, Ammë, these are Cousin Eärendil and Cousin Elwing."

"Otherwise known as the King and Queen of the Noldor, but who cares?" Arafinwë said drolly.

"Yes, who indeed, my lord?" Eärendil replied, smiling broadly.

"'Uncle' will do from you, Nephew. I am Túrucáno's uncle after all," Arafinwë replied, and Eärendil nodded. Technically, Eärwen was Elwing's cousin, as she was Lindarion's sister, but they decided "Aunt" would do well enough.

"Uncle, Aunt, may we present the children who have been added unto our family," Eärendil said, and the King and Queen of the Noldor smiled and nodded. Finrod also took it in his turn to hold the infants, and when Glorfinniel was placed in his arms first, he kissed her brow.

"Nai le cuivuva alya, pityaquen," he murmured. "She will, Findaráto," Eönwë promised, as the haryon to the Noldòran similarly blessed her sister and brothers. "They all will."


Chapter End Notes

Finrod's blessing to Glorfinniel (and her siblings) means "May you live blessed, little one"


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment