Shadow's Instadrabbles by daughterofshadows

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Each chapter will include which insta-drabble session the drabble came from and the prompts (where I was able to backtrace it).

All of these are perfect drabbles by my wordcount tool.

Check the individual chapter notes for warnings and a brief summary of the drabble.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The home of my insta-drabbling pieces!

(and the odd drabble of undetermined origin)

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Amarië, Anairë, Arwen, Bilbo Baggins, Celeborn, Celebrían, Eärwen, Elladan, Elrohir, Elrond, Elu Thingol, Finarfin, Gil-galad, Mahtan, Melian, Nerdanel, Thranduil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Holiday Party, Middle-earth Olympics, Restoration and Rebuilding, Vintage, Zingers

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 22 Word Count: 2, 276
Posted on 3 January 2022 Updated on 14 September 2022

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Nerdanel: After the world ends

Prompt: Always starting over by Idina Menzel (session: 25.04.2021)

Nerdanel rages.

Rated: General

Read Nerdanel: After the world ends

When she heard the news of what happened at Alqualondë, she froze. But then rage settled in her bones. She tore through her workshop.

Statues broke into thousands of pieces under her hands, her tools were strewn across the room like a hurricane had gone through. And bit by bit she destroyed the last vestiges of the life she once had shared with Feanor.

The reminders of happier days, that she had held onto despite everything.

Gifts from her sons.

All of it ruined.

And when nothing was left, she broke down, with bleeding hands, and finally let herself cry.

First light

Prompt: river, smile, warmth, memory (Session: 25.04.2021)

I used all but river.

Experiences of the elves crossing the Helcaraxe.

 

Warnings for Helcaraxe related deaths, like freezing, and falling into the ice, but there are no graphic descriptions.

Rated: Teen and up

Read First light

It was always cold these days and the ever-shifting currents under the ice made for treacherous passage.

In the dark they could barely see the suddenly appearing cracks who had already dragged so many into the deeps, smiles on terrifying maws.

The only warmth to be found was in huddling together whenever their leaders called a halt.

Even with elvish memories, heat seemed like a remnant of a distant past.

Then, unexpectedly the sky lit up. Screams rose. Had Melkor managed to set the sky ablaze?

Who knew.

Maybe this was the end, their journey over before it really began.

Sunny Afternoon

Prompt: lawn, sunlit, riddle, daisy (Session: 25.04.2021)

Bilbo spends an afternoon with Amarie and her children.

Rated: General

Read Sunny Afternoon

It is every hobbits' greatest pleasure to have a well-maintained lawn on which to enjoy a sunlit afternoon and a good smoke. The location of said lawn was irrelevant.

And so it came that Bilbo on one such sunny afternoon found himself in the company of the Lady Amarie and her children.

The two youngest ones had been running around all morning, full of the energy solely given by youth until Bilbo had convinced them to settle down on a blanket by distracting them with riddles.

Amarie smiled, while she helped her oldest daughter finish daisy chain after daisy chain.

Snowdrops in spring

Prompt: image of snowdrops (Session: 25.04.2021)

Eärwen and a day in early spring

Rated: General

Read Snowdrops in spring

Under the sun and the moon, the turning of seasons was different than it was in the light of the trees.

Eärwen often mused on which one she preferred, and while she generally missed the easy days of Laurelin and Telperion, there was something magical about the first flowers of spring, when Arien was just beginning to warm the ground again.

Wandering through the dewy meadows, she marvelled at the first snowdrops brave enough to break through the earth and greet the new season.

And with the new flowers came new happiness, if Anaire’s laughing was anything to go by!

Missing Mountains

Prompt: miss, mountains, nineteen, bay (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Bilbo contemplates life on Tol Eressea

Read Missing Mountains

Bilbo missed the mountains.

Nineteen years they had spent here in Valinor, and Lady Celebrían’s home was lovely, truly, but it was also surrounded by fields and orchards, close to the bay separating Tol Eressea from the rest of Aman proper.

Very Shire-like now that he thought about it.

Well, aside from the sea, perhaps.

But the point was, he had spent years in Imladris, and he missed the sight of rocky cliffs surrounding him.

Everything was flat here!

Not even any hills to be found!

He sighed.

Maybe not as close to the Shire as he thought, after all.

Confusing etiquette

Prompt: symmetrical, bread, ribbon, fall (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Nerdanel struggles with the mystery of place-sets and gets distracted by Arafinwe who needs her help.

Rated: General

Read Confusing etiquette

She stared down at the place-set. Married for a century now, and still the stringent rules of etiquette at court confused her.

Everything was perfectly symmetrical, and she did not even dare to take bread from the basket, afraid to upset the order.

Someone tugged at her sleeve.

Arafinwe held up a ribbon.

“Help please, Nerdanel? It loosened”, he pleaded.

She smiled. This she could do.

With deft hands she retied it.

“Thank you!”, Arafinwe exclaimed and hugged her, before running off again.

“Don’t fall!”, she called after him, but he didn’t hear.

She sighed.

Back to the confusing place-sets.

A heist

Prompt: insight, strategic, brave, lift (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen plan and execute a most important heist.

Rated: General

Read A heist

“Did you gain any new insights? What are the protections like?”

“The bounty is on the highest shelf. I know this much, but I had to make a strategic retreat ere more information could be gained. I fear they saw me.”

“You were very brave little sister, and your knowledge is valuable.

Alright, gather round. Here is the plan. We will wait until midnight.

Elladan, you will stand guard. I will lift Arwen up to reach the bounty. We’ll have to be careful and quiet, but I believe we can succeed.”

They did.

That night they feasted on stolen pie.

Boat race

Prompt: swan, green, bridge, arch (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Eryn Lasgalen vs Lothlorien. A competition. Who will win?

Rated: General

Read Boat race

The flag of Eryn Lasgalen flattered proudly over Thranduil’s boat, while Galadriel and Celeborn stood on their swan boat, watching the race.

Thranduil rolled his eyes.

And people claimed he had a flair for dramatics.

Eight elves were in the waters of Celebrant, ribbons tied around their arms to mark their allegiance. Green for the Greenwood, gold for the Golden Woods of Lothlorien.

The games were supposed to be a bridge between their people, to tighten relations that were torn by distance and war.

A whistle sounded. The race began.

Who would reach the arch that marked the goal first?

Wedding Day

Prompt: artistic, tumble, ring, balance (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Elrond is very stressed on his wedding day.

Rated: General

Read Wedding Day

Elrond prayed that the wedding would go off without a hitch.

The decorations looked beautiful, flower bouquets on every table, each as artistic as the next.

Even the garlands adorning the ceiling had been attached without anyone losing their balance and taking a tumble, much to the relief of the groom.

He didn’t think his nerves would cope if he had to treat any injuries today.

The rings were in his pock…

Wait.

Where had the rings gone?

He frantically looked around.

Where were they?

Something golden lit up in the corner of his eye.

There, on the table.

Saved!

Dinner with Melian

Prompt: finish, lemon, string, fortune (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Elu Thingol and Melian eat together. It is a bit disturbing. Melian learns that elvish traditions are confusing.

Rated: General

Read Dinner with Melian

“Will you finish that?”

Elwë looked where Melian was pointing.

“The lemon?”

They nodded.

When he shook his head, they let go off the string they had been fiddling with and pounced on it with delight.

Elwë could only stare in horror as they bit right into it, devouring the lemon, peel and all.

When Melian caught his gaze, they pouted.

“You were the one who said it brought bad fortune not to eat all that is on your plate!”

“Food! I meant food, when I said that! Not the garnish!”

“A lemon is food! Thus, it must be eaten!”

Caught in the Rain

Prompt: rain, vault, flummoxed, sparkle (Session: 01.08.2021 Olympics)

Círdan gets wet, Ereinion thinks it's the coolest thing he's ever seen. Or something like this

Rated: General

Read Caught in the Rain

The rain had caught him by surprise and Círdan cursed as he vaulted over the fence in a desperate attempt to escape the downpour.

He had hoped to surprise Ereinion with some pearls from the market. The boy had been feeling a bit blue recently.

But there were no pearls to be found, and now he was drenched. The only prize for his trouble.

He pushed open the door.

Finally, home.

Ereinion stared at him, flummoxed at first, then delighted, and Círdan raised an eyebrow.

“You sparkle!”, the boy exclaimed, pointing at the raindrops in his hair, reflecting the candlelight.

Celebrimbor's vision

Prompt: Day 5 - Never Have I ever (Session: 02.01.2022 Holidays)

I picked Celebrimbor, and got the prompt Celebrimbor has a premonition.

Celebrimbor dreams of light and doors and friends.

Rated: General

Read Celebrimbor's vision

He comes to slowly, blinking away the haze of Irmo’s realm.

His dreams were filled with deep laughter, and blue light slowly taking a shape he cannot quite grasp, no matter how hard he tries.

By noon, any thoughts of the strange visions have slipped his mind entirely. There is too much to do, and too little time to do it.

They are preparing for war after all.

But many years later, as he stands in front of the Doors of Durin, his hand on Narvi’s shoulder as they admire the view, he suddenly remembers that dream again.

He smiles.

Losing the game (and the children)

Prompt: Day 5 - Never have I ever (Session: 02.01.2022 Holidays)

Durin (III) has never watched a little elfling (or two or three). It is going... not too well. But hey! At least no one died!

Rated: General

Read Losing the game (and the children)

The meeting was important, he knew that. Just as he knew that he had little to contribute now that the initial planning phase was over, and they had begun to dive into how to make their plans come true.

But why did this result in him watching the children of all the architects?

He could hear their giggles, teasing him, mocking him from the shadows to which they had fled.

He was Durin, King of Khazad- dûm, third of his name. He would not be defeated by children, be they dwarves or elves! Not playing hide-and-seek in his own halls!

Dancing through the kitchen

Prompt: Day 23 - Dancing (Session: 02.01.2022 Holidays)

Taminalma and Rog share a moment in their new kitchen.

Rated: General

Read Dancing through the kitchen

There’s music floating up from the buskers at the harbour. They have left the windows open letting the salty air in, a welcome reprieve from the exhaustion of carrying their belongings up into their new home.

But now their relatives have gone, and they are alone.

“Jewel for your thoughts?”

Taminalma turns around. Rōka is standing in the doorway to the kitchen.

“The buskers are playing. Dance with me!”

Rōka blushes. “You know I have two left feet!”

“So do I! Let’s do it anyway.”

He sighs and wraps his arms around them.

They begin to sway to the music.

A father's rage

Prompt: Day 13 - Truth or Dare (Session: 02.01.2022 Holidays)

Mahtan was dared to say what he truly thinks of Feanor.

Rated: Teen and up for cursing

Read A father's rage

“This foolish, arrogant, egoistical, mad bastard! How dare"

Mahtan whirled around when the door opened.

“How dare this madman leave my daughter this mess behind! And take my grandsons! I couldARGH”

He balled his hands until his knuckles turned white.

His brother did not react to his words, only gently uncurled his fingers and took his hands between his own.

Mahtan breathed heavily, the fight draining out of him. He sagged against his brother’s chest.

“I just want to know why… I thought…”

Morco sighed and squeezed him tightly

“I do not know. I am so sorry brother.”


Chapter End Notes

Morco is my OC

To be part is to be truly whole

Prompt: Vintage Challenge - Art Card: Mosaic, Fanworks Card: Songfic

There is a mosaic in the Hall of Fire. A reminder of everything Rivendell was meant to be.

Rated: General

Song: Soon Love Soon by Vienna Teng

Read To be part is to be truly whole

There is a great mosaic set in the floor of the Hall of Fire.

Many visitors thought it had been there since the Hall was built, and they are not wrong, for in spirit it has been.

It commemorates a promise.

For when the settlement was founded, Elrond had sworn.

And here, we will be as one people, Sindar and Noldor all. Our differences will not come between us, and we shall see centuries rise and fall.”

He has kept his promise.

And all that see the mosaic are reminded that to be a part is to be truly whole.


Chapter End Notes

The lines in Italics are paraphrased directly from the song

He would make a lovely corpse

Written for the Zingers challenge, this chapter is an alternative take on one of my current TRSB fics, featuring Galdor, Nellas, Beleg and Mablung, though the last one is not named.

The prompt was:

"He would make a lovely corpse." - Charles Dickens

Read He would make a lovely corpse

Galdor froze when he felt the knife at his throat and cursed himself for letting his mind stray while collecting wild blackberries.

If he died here, he would never forgive himself.

Though… this did not look like an orc knife. This was an elvish blade, if his eyes did not deceive him. Perhaps there was still hope.

“He would make a lovely corpse, don’t you think?” a voice above him said and Galdor tried to sneak a glance at his captor but to no avail.

Suddenly, Nellas burst forth from the bushes.

“Oh, for Yavanna’s sake, leave him alone Beleg!”


Chapter End Notes

There are many reasons why I decided to go a different path with this scene in the long-fic, but I still enjoyed the idea, so have it for now. Without any context.

Broken homes

Prompt: An image of multiple abandoned houses, with broken windows. (Session: 20.08.2022 Restoration and Rebuilding)

In which Liandë, Caranthir's wife, returns to Formenos some time after the Flight of the Noldor and finds her life reflected in the ruins of her old home.

Rated: General

Read Broken homes

It was a sorry sight that greeted them when they reached Formenos with its ruined houses and overgrown streets.

Perhaps here they would be able to finally let their husbands go.

And now that Liandë stood in front of the house, she and Moryo had once called home, it reminded her of herself.

It had crumbled in the darkness, broken into pieces like her heart. But as her wounds had scabbed over, so the house had been covered in moss, and while she had built a new life from the ruins, an oak tree had grown in her living room.

After the storm

Prompt: Feeling good - Nina Simone (Session: 20.08.2022 Restoration and Rebuilding)

This is the aftermath of something. I'm not sure what. Maybe it's the aftermath of the sinking of Numenor, maybe it's the time after the destruction of the trees. Whatever you favour!

Rated: General

 

Read After the storm

Light returned to their world. The clouds overhead cleared and slowly, slowly they began living again, instead of merely surviving.

They weren’t whole yet, perhaps they never would be again, but breathing was easier now.

They mourned the dead, life as they knew it, and then they began to rebuild.

Much had been broken that needed to be repaired.

The first children born in the aftermath were the greatest blessing ever bestowed upon their people.

And while the children met the world for the first time, exploring and laughing, and growing, the adults learnt how to see its beauty again.

Reborn

Prompt: Reborn by Kids see ghosts (song) (Session: 20.8.2022 Restoration and Rebuilding)

Gil-Galad leaves the Halls of Mandos and is greeted by someone unexpected.

Rated: General

Read Reborn

Against his expectations, it isn’t his father or even his grandfather who welcomes him, when Ereinion stumbles out of the Halls of Mandos.

Instead, he sees Celebrían, shielding his eyes against the blinding sunlight, and she takes him by the hand and leads him home.

Her presence is a comfort while he learns to live in this new land.

Celebrían tells him of her children, the twins that share her curiosity and Elrond’s dedication, and the daughter with her father’s keen mind and her mother’s stubborn heart.

They miss Elrond keenly, but the reunion is all the sweeter for it.

Broken but remade

Prompt: An image of a Kintsugi vase (Session: 20.08.2022 Restoration and Rebuilding)

An aunt, a nephew and a broken vase.

Rated: General

Read Broken but remade

She sees the disaster coming and is still unable to avert it.

The vase topples off the table and shatters, spilling water and flowers across the floor.

Her nephew spins around, staring at the mess wide-eyed.

Urusimë quickly scoops him up before he can cut himself on any shards.

“I didn’t mean to break it, auntie! I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” he babbles distraught.

“It’s alright, sweetheart, it’s alright. We can fix it again.”

It’s been a while since she has done this, but it comes back quickly.

And soon the vase is whole again, and even more beautiful than before.


Chapter End Notes

Urusimë is my OC for Mahtan's wife and the nephew featured here is actually Rog, so this is set in my TMP universe.

And still, we remain

Prompt: Designing a dream city is easy; rebuilding a living one takes imagination. - Jane Jacobs (belated contribution to the Restoration & Rebuilding Session)

What happened to the dwarven settlements in Belegost and Nogrod after the War of Wrath?

We know most of them left for Moria, but what about those that stayed behind?

Rated: General

Read And still, we remain

Long had the dwarves feared the loss of their home, but in the end, it was not the enemy who took it from them.

The flood that drowned Beleriand had made large parts of the city uninhabitable, filling the lower levels and mines with water.

For weeks the ground shook.

But even those horrors ended one day. And only the question remained: What now?

Most left, moving East in the hopes of finding a better life.

But there were those who stayed.

And to them fell the task of rebuilding.

Perhaps their new settlement could not rival the glory of Khazad-dum, or Erebor. Perhaps it was but a pale shadow of Belegost and Nogrod.

But when Khazad-dum fell to Durin’s Bane, and Erebor to the dragon, it remained.

Stubborn, steadfast and stable.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


People in Arda have needed to do this more than once and not only in Arda.

This may be my favourite of your drabbles today, perhaps, but I liked all of them!

Aww, little Rog, I so empathise with his distress — and then the joy of learning that things can be remade into something not quite new, not quite the same, and yet wholly whole.

(I personally prefer mending to replacing, and love the improvised crafting it generates; there's something so satisfying, sometimes even jig-of-joy making, in being able to mend, so I wholly relate to Urusimë in this drabble.)