Elendil! Elendil! by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Both these drabbles were originally written for the "Never Shall I Ever" round of the Holiday Party Insta-drabbling session on the SWG Discord.

The overarching title is, of course, based on Aragorn's war cry...

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Fixed length-ficlets featuring Elendil the Tall, one set during this childhood in Numenor, the other after the Fall of Numenor.

 

Major Characters: Elendil, Inzilbêth

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Holiday Party, New Year's Resolution

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 304
Posted on 22 January 2022 Updated on 22 January 2022

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

In Elendil's childhood in Numenor, his father teaches him to sail.
Elendil's first attempt is not an unqualified success!

 

(Minor warning for embarrassment and teasing.)

Elendil's words as he arrived in Middle-earth, as later reported, sound enormously confident and very quotable.
And maybe that was indeed what he said, in his first relief at having survived. He had fellow refugees to encourage, after all!
But perhaps his initial dealings with the inhabitants of Lindon, after landing, did not come as easily to him as all that?

With a brief glimpse of the beginning of Elendil's friendship with Gil-galad.

 

Warnings for allusions to the trauma of the Fall of Numenor and cross-cultural issues.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I really enjoy the true-to-life feel in this piece, the washing up with the wreckage seeming more likely than landing with pomp and staking a claim on Middle-earth with his famous words. Perhaps, like Neil Armstrong, he practised them long before he spoke them, to keep up the aura of confidence and command of the situation that he was not at all feeling. For some reason I have such a clear picture of this scene, walking through the market, all the Elves going about their regular business about him, feeling overwhelmed—and then, there's Gil-galad's hand...

I'm glad it feels true to life! 

I think it is pretty amazing how quickly Elendil managed to establish Arnor. 

Isildur and Anarion are in a better position because they already had a substantial number of allies in place in Pelargir, near where they landed.

Even though, like Elendil and the rest, they must have been suffering hugely from shock.