Elendil! Elendil! by Himring

| | |

A Very Minor Shipwreck

In Elendil's childhood in Numenor, his father teaches him to sail.
Elendil's first attempt is not an unqualified success!

 

(Minor warning for embarrassment and teasing.)


‘Elendil you may be, but Uinendil you are not or at least not yet,’ Inzilbeth commented.

Elendil blushed up to the roots of his sopping wet hair.

He had not minded so much with Amandil, even although he had tipped his father in, as well as himself. It was mortifying to discover how many relatives had been watching, though!

Inzilbeth tapped him on his shoulder to let him know she was only teasing and handed him a large towel.

‘May you never founder when it matters! I will tie a sprig of oiolaire to the dinghy for your second attempt!’


Chapter End Notes

"Elendil" means elf friend, "Uinendil" is someone who loves and serves Uinen, that is: a sailor.
A bough of oiolaire, tied to the prow of a ship by a woman (usually a relative of one of the seamen), was supposed to ensure safe return.
Inzilbeth is related to the House of Andunie (and so Elendil's father) through her mother. I am envisioning her as something like a great-aunt to Elendil here, although genealogically the relationship is a bit more distant than that.

Fernstrike's prompt for my chosen character Elendil was: capsize a dinghy in his first attempt to sail one.

1 x 100 words in MS Word.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment