Lullaby by oshun

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Fanwork Information

Summary:

MEFA 2011 NOMINEE
After the death of Fingolfin, Fingon says good-bye before taking Ereinion and his mother to the Havens. The lyrics of the song are important to me, because I chose Fingon as the father of Gil-galad because Orodreth was simply not big enough for me.

Major Characters: Fingon, Gil-galad, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Fifth Birthday Celebration

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 763
Posted on 19 September 2010 Updated on 19 September 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Ah, oshun, you've managed to put that little song to a wonderful use in a completely different context. I loved how you mixed sadness with humour in this scene, and I had to laugh at Fingon's good humour about his... quality and inclinations.

"Ai, woman, don't be so tragic," he said, lowering his voice. "One of the reasons Maitimo and I chose you was that you did not have that mawkish my-best-years-are-behind me air that so many Noldorin women sport like it is their finest cloak. We needed someone who could make us laugh. Someone with a spine of steel."

LOL!  I have heard similar things at family reunions and I swear you've got it just spot on.    Humour is always a good weapon when sad, I think.  Sometimes it's all that keeps you from crying.  I love the mixture of this and it just hit me that maybe, just maybe that little Ereinion was not quite asleep and wouldn't that be a memory to have? 

How is I've never read these or seen them?  I want to know just how Fingon and Maitimo "chose" her. 

Thank you! I am so glad you like Tadiel. She dates back to my novel A New Day. She has a very small role in it (introducing here there for bigger things in the future). It is in my current WIP novel Mereth Aderthad that she comes into her own really as a candidate for Fingon's baby mama. I wanted Gil-galad to have Fingon for a papa, but that meant working into my own personal story verse a way for Fingon and Maedhros to include a woman in their life. A challenge of sorts, I guess, but also fun to try to imagine.

Reposting my MEFA review:

This interlude is one of those quiet, human, and rather vulnerable moments between a married couple on the eve of a big event. In this case it is just before Fingon sends his wife and baby son to the safety of the Havens. Of course, as so often happens in Tolkien, in the original text (quoted at the beginning of the fic) he mentions the son, Gil-galad being sent to the havens, but there is no mention of his mother. It's good that fans can make up for the lack of female characters. I like Oshun's original character Tadiel, who adapts quite pluckily to the somewhat unusual domestic arrangement with her husband and his lover. With Oshun's typical skill, she shows Fingon and Tadiel's relationship: their affection, Tadiel's anxiety about what's to come, and also her sense of humor. I've been waiting impatiently for the next chapter of Mereth Aderthad, and am glad to have this to whet the appetite.