Of Night and Light and The Half-light by oshun

Fanwork Information

Summary:

This is a place for short contributions or graphics (mostly but not all from Back-to-Middle-earth Month 2012). The title is from "He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven" by William Butler Yeats. Some are serious and some are silly.

Added "Death of Arvedui" graphic.

Major Characters: Aredhel, Fëanor, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, Idril, Maedhros, Maglor, Noldor, Númenóreans, Orcs, Sauron, Sons of Fëanor, Valar

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: B2MeM 2012

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 12 Word Count: 15, 702
Posted on 4 March 2012 Updated on 3 October 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Women of the Silmarillion O68: Sisters and Sisters-in-law.

Clips from originial art by:

1)John William Godward (August 9 1861 - December 13 1922), By the Wayside. In the public domain.
2) Edward Robert Hughes (5 November 1849 – 23 April 1914), The Valkyrie's Vigil. In the public domain.
3) John William Godward (1861-1922) A Classical Maiden with signature and dated 'J. W. Godward 99.' ) In the public domain.

BeMeM - O72: Fëanor: saviour of Middle-earth

Source painting Niccolò Mauruzi da Tolentino at the Battle of San Romano (probably c. 1438–1440). In the public domain.

Economy card i22 - Climatic Change

Economy card i22 - Climatic Change

Women of Arda - N43: Melian
From The Lay of Leithian:

There Melian came, the Lady grey,
and dark and long her tresses lay,
beneath her silver girdle seat
and down unto her silver feet.

Source painting - Endymion, Arthur Hughes (first exhibited 1869-70?). In the public domain.

The prompt is for the card Sons of Fëanor: "Maedhros alone stood aside."

This is one of the most dramatic moments of the story of the earliest days of exile of the Noldor. Fëanor, who still had the wherewithal to unite the Noldor and lead them out of Tirion and onto this epic quest, seems to have lost his ability to reason somewhere between Tirion, Alqualondë and the shores of Middle-earth. But Maedhros standing aside when Fëanor seeks to burn the ships set the stage of the events that will shape all of the First Age.

Image from painting by Edward Moran (1829–1901) Burning of the Frigate Philadelphia in the Harbor of Tripoli. In the public domain.

068: Maedhros went to look for Eluréd and Elurin.

Women of the Silmarillion - N43: Women of Númenor.

John William Godward (9 August 1861 – 13 December 1922), Summer Flowers (1903).

Photo-manipulation of Civil War painting by Edward Everard Arnold (1824 - 1866).

Berceuse by William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1875. In the public domain.

Created this to inspire myself when working on the Arvedui last king of Arthedain character bio.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thanks!

I've pretty much decided that I want to go to the Galapagos Islands next March, probably not good enough. Somewhere without internet would be better. Isn't this supposed to be fun?

I feel like I do after one of Laura's grand birthday parties--how about just the four of us go out for dinner somehere near our house next year?