The Coveted by Dawn Felagund

Fanwork Information

Summary:

On Caranthir's betrothal to his wife.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Romance

Challenges: Gift of a Story

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Expletive Language, Sexual Content (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 7, 113
Posted on 22 May 2007 Updated on 22 May 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

A while ago--too long ago--Kasiopea asked me to write a story about how Caranthir became engaged to his wife. At the same time as she made her request, I was engaging in a discussion on an email list about the Silmarils and why entities of good caused such evil.

The two ideas entwined, and this story emerged. It also uses the ideas I have developed in Another Man's Cage and other stories that Caranthir was so dark, strange, and solitary because he was extremely sensitive to mindspeak and constantly perceived the thoughts and emotions of others.

So Kasiopea, at last, this is for you.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Nicely done!

And let's see if HTML works:

<i>Good to see he's found his match.  This story is a good bookend to your other one of him meeting Amarië.</i>

<b>I particularly like how you show his distance from his brothers, and use Fëanor's and Nelyo's debate about good and evil to shape the discussion of the Silmarils.</b>

 

 

 

Oh this was beautiful Dawn. I just couldn't stop reading, I just absorbed scene after scene ánd read it again. I especially liked how you compared the light of the trees and the aussaging effect it had on Caranthir and how Taryindë has the same influence over him. I cannot help to think she has the same skill or has used very young how to lock her mind to him. I now feel I should get my hands on more Taryindë and Caranthir love stories written for you. Look what you have done! ;)

Still Dawn, I think the way you adressed the side effects of capturing the lights in the Jewels, Caranthir's response to them and how he perceived them: well explored! Now... is there more if this? (yes Celegorm's impatience is rubbing off on me ;) ) 

 

As a matter of fact, I am working on a Caranthir story right now for the Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang! :D It's currently at 4,000 words and will probably be at least 10,000 (maybe more).

It is part of my Republic of Tirion series, but it's still my Caranthir!

(Also, thank you for commenting again on my story! You're so awesome. It's like pulling teeth to get people to comment ONCE and you comment on rereads. <3 I'm glad you enjoyed it a second time around!)

Just checking in with my favourite couple in teh Silm. I love this so much .

Just pondering on this

"We do die, Carnistir," she answered. "In a way different from those mortal upon this earth, yes, but we do die, and many among us have been shut up in rock in punishment for the death of flesh. In the moment before hope is lost and the spirit flees, it may be that I feel the chill of entombment upon their flesh," 

What does she mean by this? She is clearly 'sighted' herself and her abilty to hide her thoughts from Carnistir is obvious, but she doesn't always know his- but perhaps that is because he has not articualted those thoughts before now... Anyway, beautiful story. Much loved by me. Your Carnistir is my favourite character in the Silm (apart from Nelyo but he does come close)