In the Town Called Acceptance by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story was written for Rhapsody, in 2006. Because Rhapsody's favorite characters are Celegorm and Maglor, I always try to work them into a story together for her, but this is a challenge. They aren't characters who share much in common, and in the Felakverse in which I set my stories, they don't even like each other that much.

So while brainstorming ideas for Rhapsody's story, it occurred to me that what they share the most in common is their lack of having much in common with their father. Maglor's personality is largely opposite his father's; Celegorm's talents and ideology are not what one would expect from a son of Fëanor. And so, based on this, I crafted this story.

I remain fond of this story even if it is more sentimental than what I usually write. I do like that it shows the difficulty of growing up with a father like Fëanor.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Young Maglor and Celegorm come to an understanding that they will always be the sons most unlike their father.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Fëanor, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Gift of a Story, Family Matters

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 4, 505
Posted on 31 July 2007 Updated on 31 July 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I liked the focus on Tyelkormo and Macalaure here--they did not even have a dialogue together in the book and it was great to read about how they could possibly interact with each other.  (In my personal "universe", I never did imagine either of them  enjoying the metal smithing of their father.)  And I  agree that although they "excel" in their particular interests and are driven by the same fiery passion for those interests, they are the least like Fëanor. 

I enjoyed reading this and was especially touched by how much their father's approval means to them.  I could list a dozen things as to why they followed their Father and swore an Oath with him and his approval is one of the possible reasons.  

I really like this story. The following line, especially, struck a chord:

"I believe that I learned to name my emotions based on Macalaurë’s songs, for--according to Atar, anyway--I had trouble as a young child putting abstract thoughts into words." 

I actually read this story a while ago, and that line's always stuck with me. It's just a really neat insight into someone's head, and one I can relate to.

I also really like how unintentional all this heartache is on Feanaro's part. He's just really not trying at all to be hurtful, and yet his sons are in tears over even seemingly small actions.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know I liked this, and a lot of your other stories as well, because I read something you posted on tumblr about how discouraging lack of reviews can be for some authors. I hadn't ever thought of it that way, so now I'm trying to review stories I read and go back and review some of the ones I remember enjoying. And since I like your stories, I figured I should definitey let you know.

Um. I'll stop babbling at you now. Great story! Thank you for writing it.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! It's funny, in the context of the Tumblr conversation, because this is a story that's never gotten a lot of attention, comments-wise, and so I assumed was one of my weaker pieces. So I very much appreciate knowing that it did strike a chord for someone. :)

A lot of my Feanor stories are based a lot on my dad, who is likewise a perfectionist, not always the kindest in expressing himself, and rather cutting-edge in his skills, being trained as a printer/typesetter but an early adopter of computers and home computers specifically. I used to get scolded as a kid for choosing ugly fonts or not folding my handmade greeting cards correctly! I don't know that my dad, like Feanor, truly understood how miserable he made my sister and me sometimes. Perhaps that's why I've always related to the Feanorian boys. :)

Thank you again and best wishes for a happy New Year!

Thank you, Talullah! Family dynamics among the Finwions have rather become my bread and butter over the last decade. :D I'm glad this worked for you! In most of my other stories, Celegorm drives Maglor crazy (or they are just simply at odds with each other, when they are older), so they needed to have a pleasant moment for once. Thank you again for reading and commenting on my stories--I really appreciate it! :)