By the Light of Roses by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Back in the winter of 2005, I did a rather foolish thing in agreeing to write full-length stories for each of my fandom friends as holiday gifts. I ended up writing twenty short stories in less than a month. One story in particular was a request for a rather odd pairing--Fëanor and Arien--from my dear friend Alina. I wrote the story for Alina, using something of a cop-out by having the Fëanor/Arien pairing come about as more of a dream or a fantasy on Fëanor's part. It wasn't a bad story, per se, but very much PWP. Alina knew that I also planned on writing a story for her birthday at the end of June, and at the beginning of January, asked if she could make a request so that I could have plenty of time to think about how I'd make it work.

Alina knew that I was not a slash writer, but I liked slash stories and had toyed with the idea of writing one of my own. We'd chatted back and forth about a novella I wanted to write that gave an honest look at how homosexuality might have been treated in Elvish culture. For the now-infamous holiday story spree, I'd written my first slash: a rather sweet Maedhros/Fingon that was neither profound nor graphic. I suppose that Alina saw her chance and made her request: Fëanor/Erestor, her two favorite characters. Only it couldn't be like the Fëanor/Arien story. No dreaming, no imagining, no fantasies. No, they had to do it.

I'll admit that I wasn't wild about the idea at first. How in the world would I get a Third Age character in bed with a character who was not only married but died at the start of the First Age without resorting to utterly ridiculous PWP AU? It was a good thing that Alina gave me almost six months because it took three of them to puzzle out a satisfying way to meet her request. While I was at it, I figured I might as well do a bit of work on my whole "cultural" idea. Next thing I knew, I was writing a story that would be a short novella, "around thirty pages." Alina was delighted. Then I had to change that to "more about seventy."

It ended at exactly one hundred pages.

But it was a surprisingly breezy story to write. At the same time as I was writing it, my little sister Sharon moved to England to marry her girlfriend, who was luckily British. (Luckily because, if she was American, they would not be able to marry.) I was really angry at the time--still am, honestly--at the purported "pro-family" movement in the U.S. that stood against same-sex marriage. "Pro-family"? Our family was broken up because of their narrowmindedness. Sharon and her wife wanted and continue to want to live in the U.S., but their family simply is not good enough for the narrow idea of "family" prescribed by the people--and leaders--of Sharon's own home country.

From that anger and Alina's rather bizarre request, "By the Light of Roses" was born. Do I even need to reiterate that it is an adult-rated story? Besides being sexually graphic, it is dark and not for the faint of heart. But despite the fact that I feared at first that it would become one of my throwaway stories, it remains one of my favorites.

It is dedicated, of course, to Alina, for whom it was written, but also to Sharon, who remains one of the bravest people I know.

Not That There's Anything Wrong with That

Fanwork Information

Summary:

What if Erestor had been part of the House of Fëanor from the beginning, in Aman? An AU look at the crumbling house of Fëanor through the eyes of one of Middle-earth's loremasters.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Fëanor, Original Character(s), Sons of Fëanor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: Gift of a Story, One True Love

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Graphic), Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 15 Word Count: 68, 795
Posted on 2 August 2007 Updated on 2 August 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Such a sad and beautiful story. And, as usual, the sights, smells, tastes, and descriptions live. Wonderful for a change to get a look from the outside into the details of the lives of Feanor and his family from someone so intimately involved and yet one step removed. I still chuckle at how my mouth fell open when I found that you had written a slash story of Feanor and my skepticism that someone could make it work. Well, you did and I salute you for that. There is so much that I could say, but just want, for now, to give this my highest recommendation. I am so pleased that you have posted this here.

Thank you, Oshun, for such a kind review. I used to think that Feanor could not be slashed ... not for fear of one\'s life. ;) I\'ve never had the best of luck with my Feanor muse. Feanor chapters/stories tend to get deleted, corrupted, or otherwise mauled. Yet he left me completely alone while writing BtLoR. Hmmmm ... >;^)

This remains, unexpectedly, one of my favorites of my fanfic stories. I thought it would be a cross between throwaway pr0n and Dawn on a soapbox, but stepping outside the family to look at them at such a volatile and difficult time in the family\'s history gives a really interesting perspective, having devoted so much (too much!) time to the PoV within the House of Feanor.

This is a shocking (in a wonderful way!) contrast to your chronologically earlier Feanorian stories (particularly "Another Man's Cage").  Light, sweet moments are few and far between in this fic, which is probably the best description of a family in pain I've read in this fandom.  Maedhros's inability to accept his youngest brother's unorthodox marriage is a particular surprise, given that he comes across as such a caring elder brother elsewhere; it's good to see you've given his 'beautifully-formed' character some quite believable flaws.  And I love the way you bring Finwe's view of the Spring Festival in at the end as a not-so-subtle contrast to his son's views of the past and the Valar (because by this time, the reader is certainly beginning to believe that Feanor's view of the Valar is well-justified).

Ithilwen, thank you so much for this review. It made my evening to hear such kind words from one whose work was so influential to me! This remains one of my favorite of my stories, although, as you note, it is so far from my usual \"verse\" that it tends to get forgotten. I suppose the vastly different tone reflects my own state of mind at the time (not to mention the fact that it is quite distant, chronologically, from AMC!) Thank you again! :)

This was very well written, and a beautiful story to boot. You have amazing talents!  And this pairing was surprisingly wonderful - I had never thought it would work this well before. He is, after all, mostly paired with Glorfindel. I also loved the way you protrayed the torment of people who are different in sexual desires. It was also amusing to me that Fëanor should be into both - well, there was no other way, was there - as he was one of those I identified most with the first time I read the book, and I fancy both as well. It is indeed despicable that people don't accept others just because of who they love. I've always wondered why. Are they frightened? Do they think we'll fall in love with everyone? I remember when I was younger, there was a girl in my high school class who claimed she didn't like it if I looked at her, because she thought I wanted her. This was said behind my back, of course. I later explained to her that I wouldn't come close to her covered in anticeptic with an iron poker extended on a ten foot pole. Still, it seems that love for same sex makes good excuses for petty hate. Sad, really.But yes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story! Shall look through more of them, and then perhaps write one of my own. :) -B

Beatrisu, thank you so much for so many kind comments lately. I am sorry that I've been slower than usual in replying, but I have treasured them all and will soon get you the replies you deserve! :)

I wish I had the answer to your question about acceptance, I really really do. If you read the introductory stuff to this story, you will know already that this was a very personal issue to me when I wrote BtLoR and is to this day. This story was my own way of wrangling with that question ... and it didn't get me any answers but I hope it might at least get a couple of people to think about these things. :)

The Feanor/Erestor pairing was a challenge from a good friend who loved them both and wanted to see them together. I figured the story would wind up a throwaway PWP but the Feanor!muse had different ideas entirely! Writing this story was almost surreal because I don't recall a single point where I had to make the story keep coming. (Even AMC had points where I would have just as soon given up but made myself pull through.)

Of my own stories, this remains one of my favorites, and it does not get nearly the attention that many of my other stories do, I suspect because it is slash (and a rather odd pairing at that). Therefore, reviews on this story mean so much to me. Thank you! :)

(And I do hope you will soon join we authors on SWG! :)

I'm not very good at writing reviews, but I would still like to tell you I really loved reading this story!

I don't know how, but Erestor is one of my favourites too even though he's such a minor character in the book. A few things really grabbed my attention. Your Elves aren't perfect. Don't get me wrong, I love my long-haired gods but you write them very differently, flawed. And I liked it.

Thank you for writing this, so I could read it almost ten years later!

 

Thank you! And please don't worry about writing good reviews. It means so much just to hear a story has been read and enjoyed ... ten years later! :)

I'm a believer in flawed Elves. I like exploring what it means to be human in my stories, and since I write about Elves (in Tolkien fanfic anyway), then the distant, elevated, perfect people we see in LotR just won't work for me. And, of course, we see in the Silm that they are SO far from perfect, so I like writing about the human elements behind that.

Thank you again, both for reading my story and for letting me know that you liked it. :)