The Longest Day by Lyra

Fanwork Information

Summary:

During the Midsummer festivities of 472 F.A., Anairë is struck by a wrenching sense of dread. Nerdanel helps her to make sense of it.

Major Characters: Anairë, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Behind the Scenes

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 700
Posted on 30 October 2017 Updated on 30 October 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

No death happening on screen, but the deaths of several characters are being discussed.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like the idea of Nerdanel being able to describe exactly what the feeling was like and to seek out Anaire to comfort her. (Perhaps a little, unconsciously, to confirm whether it was his death or that of Fingon.)

It's such a sad story! I enjoyed the use of scents and color and memories and also found the physical/psychic response to a distant event totally plausible and likely in a people who can connect mind to mind a great distances.

I'm working on a story for this same challenge that deals with that last aspect also. In my case the death of Finwe. Thank god I have that part written, because I would feel funny writing it immediately after reading yours. Mine is similar but different.

Oh, I'm glad yours is going to be similar but different! When I read that you were writing a pivotal event from Eärwen's perspective I was a bit worried that you might have the Nirnaeth in mind too. Looking forward to reading it! I'm glad you liked the use of sensory input here. I was trying to pay more attention than usual to more than sight, so it's good to know that it worked for you. Also glad you find the physical/pyschic response convincing!

Thank you! I'm actually sceptical about the level of mind-reading or long-distance psychic communication among the Elves, but at the same time I'm convinced that something as drastic as the sundering of their love-bond or the death of a child would be something they notice, even those who have no talent for osanwe-kenta. Glad to see I'm not alone :)

It's a combination of several things (in my headcanon, obviously!). For one, I don't think that one second you see that Balrog charging you and the next second you look into Námo's face; even if the call to Mandos comes instantaneously after death and the spirit follows it at once, I expect that some confusion and disorientation will be involved. Thus, it takes some time for the spirit to "settle" and be ready to face Námo (or even just a friendly Maiarin secretary) and be identified beyond doubt. Then, Námo's priority is judgement and counselling, not PR, so notifying the next of kin is something that's done when there's nothing more important going on. He doesn't technically have to inform anyone - next of kin living in Middle-earth receive no Valarin message at all - so this is one of these things that get perpetually postponed. (To be more charitable towards Námo, I think the emotions of the living are complex and uncomfortable for him, so it takes him a while to prepare a message and he never likes sending them.) Or perhaps these messengers are being sent out like four times per year, so if someone dies at the beginning of the trimester, that's just tough luck? But more likely, there's actually no proper code and it all happens rather haphazardly. I haven't given much thought to the proceedings at Mandos so far! Looks like a corporate crackfic waiting to happen!

Anyway, thank you for your thought-provoking comment!