You Live Your Life in the Shadow of the Mountain by darthfingon

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks to everyone at the Lizard Council and Garden of Ithilien writers workshops for help and suggestions. It's nice to have a captive audience when writing a story populated almost entirely with Vanyarin OCs...

Language Note: Glossary of terms is given at the bottom of each chapter.  Italicised words are ones that I've composed for the purpose of this story; words in plain text are Tolkien's.

I've intentionally chosen to use a number of obsolete early Qenya words for the Vanyarin dialect in order to create greater differences between it and Noldorin speech.  Other differences between Vanyarin and Noldorin, such as the Vanyarin use of Z, TH, CH and unclustered D, are real, though attested application of these rules is very limited.  As a result, this story contains a lot of linguistic fanfiction in order to recreate a useable Vanyarin language.

Velvet Darkness

Fanwork Information

Summary:

At the end of the First Age, religious feuds and civil unrest threaten Valmar and Tirion.  A 'What-If' AU.

New in Chapter 20: Sidaizon sets out to begin his new duties as Oraistar of Oichimyaiva, and learns some disturbing news from Vedezir.

Major Characters: Amarië, Ingwë, Ingwion, Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama

Challenges: Another Place in Time

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 20 Word Count: 78, 920
Posted on 6 October 2009 Updated on 18 January 2012

This fanwork is a work in progress.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Very glad to see this posted. XD I like your whole scenario of what life might've been like in Valinor and more.

Does Sidaizon know his exact connection to the Noldor or has Amarie not revealed it to him yet? Also, I remember you said something, a long time ago, about this being connected, yet not, I think, to your whole Glorfindel story cycle...

Thanks for writing!

Thanks for reading and commenting, Alqua.  Yes, I did say a long time ago that this was connected to the Glorfindel arc, though it's not too obvious at the moment.  The ties should become a little clearer as the story progresses.  And Sidaizon does know about his connexion to the Noldor, but not anything specific.  Amárië has not divulged his father's name.  A little more explanation of this is coming up in chapter 9, and then more after that down the road.

Tarmanaz certainly is the young one in full "rebellion" stage, isn't he?  And Sidaizon's cousin is a slimey and posturing piece of work.  I love the deft characterization of all these OCs.  You really start to know them well in a short amount of time. 

The cultural clash going on between Noldor and Minyar in this is something that I would never have considered, but find very realistic - almost more realistic than the "spiritual but not religious" presentation Tolkien gave us.  If, as claimed, the Elves are just a different species of humanity, there is no reason to think that they wouldn't develop schisms in this way. 

The only question this leaves in my mind is: if the Valar are more approachable by the Elves, what is their opinion of what is going on ostensibly in their name and/or what do they intend to do about it?

Still, the story is compelling, real and griping.  I enjoy every update, and I'm ready for more, anytime you're ready to post it.

I think the Elves would certainly engage in pointless fighting.  In the perpetual peace of Valinor, protected from any real danger, the stupid little problems will suddenly take on much more importance.  Now that the Elves, whose society developed in the danger of Cuiviénen, no longer need to fight for survival, I think they could easily grow restless and prone to argument.  Especially when faced with questions of who's in charge and what's best for everyone.

As to the Valar, I don't necessarily think they're more approachable by the Elves.  In my view, after the Silmaril debacle, the Valar made a decision not to interfere so much in the lives of the Eldar.  By the time this story takes place, about 550 years after Feanor left, the Valar no longer have daily involvement in Elven society.  They become much more like gods than like authority figures: less present, more legendary.  They may care what goes on in their names, but the won't interfere directly.

Social and political questions and family troubles: that's what I like writing.  Who needs action?  Though there may be some of that showing up eventually as the political troubles get out of hand.  More chapters are on the way.  I'm actually writing this fairly quickly now

The shaving of the head reminds me of Buddhist monks.

I have to agree, with Amarie and Eazinya, that Sidaizon should be more careful. The times and where he lives do not seem tolerant, and the people do not seem to possess much reason. Not to mention the fact that if his relationship with Tarmanaz continues the path it is on, Sidaizon will lose his son. Thanks for writing!

Amárië and Eäzinya may have valid arguments.  Sidaizon should soon realise where his disregard of society's rules will land him.  You're absolutely right that these people of Valmar are low on tolerance and reason.  Exactly how so will show up more in the chapters to come.

I just found this story, had missed he posting of previous chapters. I was puzzled as I started reading it - perhaps the unfamiliar Vanyarin names? - but now I am hooked.

Makes quite a lot of sense that the different branches of the Elves, under different kings, would develop different cultures, even in Valinor. However I had never thought about the possibility that their religious beliefs could diverge, given they lived next to the same "gods". Very "subtle" AU! Not the standard what if so-and-so had not died...

I also like the way you present us with the all too likely conflicts and tensions between the communities through day-to-day events, which is how they usually manifest in reality. I am only afraid that it can turn quite dark for Sidaizon and his folk if you take it to the extremes of religious intolerance. It reminds me of the Faithful vs. King's Men scenario in Numenor, fortunately without Sauron instigating discord.

Now I'll be eagerly waiting for more chapters (same as for Four Rings...).

Four Rings.  Urr.  I need to devote some time to that...

You're very right that things are about to get darker, on both the religious and poliltical fronts.  It is a little like the Númenor situation, but instead of Sauron, we just have some overzealous Elves all acting in ways that they believe is the only right way to act.  Trouble will invariably ensue.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and taking the time to review, and I hope you like what's to come.

I liked the story of Arafinwe and Earwen. Do the Noldor have the same religious division as the Vanyar? Sidaizon seems to be moderate compared to the majority of believers of the two religious sects. Hopefully his children will take after him in that regard and not their mother, not that it's entirely her fault. Thanks for writing! XD

Hmm, good question.  I see the Noldor as far more secular than the Vanyar, opting to rely on themeselves and their own personal thoughts rather than putting so much faith in the Valar.  Not that they would ignore the Valar completely, but they would not necessarily have as much of an organised 'religion' as the Vanyar do.  However, I do have another story in which Turgon calls Fingon a heretic for his justification of the events at Alqualondë, so some of them may take things more seriously than others.

And Sidaizon does have a moderate view of things.  He actually believes in his religion, as opposed to others who need constant reassurance that they've made the right choice (and most of that reassurance comes from insisting that everyone else is wrong).  What the children end up doing will eventually be revealed.  The story will end approximately sixty years from the current timeframe.

What an original conception. It makes sense that the Vanyar being closest to the Valar should define themselves by their  religious allegiances as religion seems to be at the center of their culture (what might push the Telerin buttons? music styles? fly-fishing versus nets?, just crossed my mind, sorry). I greatly enjoy stories where the fabric of the society is as detailed and rich, shops and fashions and food all play their part in the development. Highly enjoyable.

And by the way, the title is outstanding: it's probaly one of my favourites ever.

The title of this story is something that took me a long time to decide.  I had seven chapters written before it had an official title (and it's still saved as 'valinor' on my computer as a result).  This title is something I'd thought about and then decided to use because I couldn't think of anything better.  But now I like it quite a bit, and I'm happy to hear you do, too, and also that you're enjoying the story.  I'm having a good time trying to flesh out the Vanyarin culture and the city of Valmar itself, thinking about what makes sense in terms of their history.

So things are taking a darker turn for Sidaizon!  Really a gripping chapter overall.  The setting is fantastic, so richly detailed and kinda quirky, too, the combination of which being what I relish in your work.

On a more general note, this is an excellent and thought-provoking story overall.  You've taken a few words in the Qenya lexicon and absolutely run with them: weaving a complex cultural tapestry out of a few threads that Tolkien left us.  The aspect of religion is fascinating.  I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a Hindu pal who opined (and rightly so) that the most ancient of a culture's traditions may be found in funereal rites.  So at the very beginning, you let us see the schism in Elven culture.  It made me wriggle with glee.

Once again, you've created memorable characters.  Just like I will always think of Glorfindel and magenta robes or Oropher and serving wenches, so I will connect Sidaizon with bathing -- at his own house (and the suggestion of the water heater) and now here in the strange and ominous baths.

Really, really well done, DF! 

Thanks, Angelica.  Blond, obedient, and boring are exactly what I don't want my Vanyar to be.  I set out to create something a little more realistic and interesting, and I'm always happy to hear that people enjoy it.  Further updates should be forthcoming.  I have the next chapter written and am currently just editing and polishing.

Hi Darth,

I've enjoyed reading this story a lot. I know I've said this a lot, but I love that you have painted a grittier and more brutal Valinor. It's difficult to see the elves as egalitarian and living in an utopia, I think.  The world you've created is one that is realistic, since elves are supposedly like humans, but are immortal. 

When I saw the summary for this chapter, I was actually hoping for Sidaizon to meet Finrod, but I guess that's hoping for too much.

What does Ingwirion mean? Why does Ingwe let his sons rule? Is he just tired of having to rule for so long?

I do hope nothing terrible happens to Sidaizon or Tarmanaz.

Thanks for this wonderful story!

Thanks, Alqua.

Alas, Sidaizon did not meet Finrod, since Finrod is unfortunately still dead.  He will meet some other interesting and influential people in the future, though.  And I plan to have him discover a statue of Finrod at one point.

And I'm not sure if I should thank you or not for asking what Ingwírion means, because I just realised that the name should actually have been Ingwízion according to rules I adapted for the Vanyarin dialect.  And I don't like that as much, so let's pretend it was always meant to be translated as 'Ingwe's eternal son'.  As to why Ingwe lets his sons rule, that will be discussed in an upcoming chapter.

This was fantastic. It's great to learn something of Sidaizon's past at last. I like the bleakness of his life with his grandfather. It's realistic, considering the society he lives in. It is good that Amarie doesn't hate him for all the troubles that came afterwards. Also, will more be revealed about Sidaizon's past soon?

I find your description of the squabbling and childish arguing between Ingwiron and Ingwion quite amusing and funny. Ingwe's children are no better than Finwe's. Lastly, I do hope you update soon because I'm dying to know what Ingwe is going to proclaim to Sidaizon. Thanks so much for sharing this story.

The first few chapters in, I really disliked this story. That is, I would have found it well written and engaging if it hadn't been about Tolkien's elves, because for all their idiotic moments I refuse to believe that you can live so long and still be so close minded and uncreative! The water heating situation for example really got on my nerves. Given that regular humans manage to come up with better in the very few decades they live and we aren't supposed to believe every Vanyar is permanently brain damaged (right?). The intensely restrictive ideas and sexist culture really didn't help either. I suppose that for all my usual cynism I am really still an optimist at heart and so have trouble believing an immortal people could live for so long and learn so little, even with the Valar completely silent (or perhaps especially with the Valar silent). Vanyarin immortality just makes me slightly nauseous and I imagine would die simply out of frustration and boredom if I somehow ended up there. I couldn't just stop reading though. And then it started to suck me in. It's complex, original and yes, I will finally admit this to myself - believable. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Wow. This story is amazing! I was hesitant to read it, because I have a hard time reading things about characters I'm not already invested in, but you had me hooked before the first chapter was over. Before the second paragraph was over, if I'm being compeltely honest.

I love how complex everything is; it must have required a LOT of thought put into it. I especially like seeing a version of Valinor where things aren't perfect and happy all the time. The different religious factions that have formed are interesting, and a neat take on how having "deities" present and tangible doesn't necessarily make things any simpler for the average person than when they need to be taken on faith. The differences between Vanyarin and Noldoring Quenya were really fun to read as well. 

Add in all the layered politics and in-depth characterizations, and it's just a fantastic story.