In Terror He Reigns by Beatrisu

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This, I must confess, is but a latenight rambling. I have no real purpose with this, other than to experiment. I therefore apologize for the shoddiness of this piece. Constructive criticism is ever welcomed, along with any compliments you are kind enough to shed ;)

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A lone inhabitant of Angmar reflects on its terrible king.

Major Characters: Original Character(s)

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Horror

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 341
Posted on 19 January 2010 Updated on 19 January 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I quite like this - it's a very interesting idea, and I think it is indeed quite likely that some (perhaps even most) subjects of the witch king may have disagreed with his rule, but had no choice but to serve him out of terror... (after all even the Orcs in LOTR discuss that they don't really like serving Sauron, but don't have much of an option. It is hard to believe that the humans and others in Angmar wouldn't feel likewise!)

That terror came across really well in this short piece. Poor protagonist!

Thank you so much for your kind review! I am very pleased to see that you found my attempt at horror-lite enjoyable, and to hear other people's opinions on whether or not the servants of Angmar served the witch king out of loyalty or fear. In my mind, the idea was always rather simple - you practically feel the horror when the witch king is described in the books, and so I decided that well, humans don't serve that kind of nastiness willingly unless they're horribly nasty - or scared shitless. Which was what I went for. I'm happy it came across well!

Firstly, do not apologize.  This is not in the least shoddy!  Sometimes late night ramblings allow us to reach down and find that "sweet spot" (so to speak) in the heart of darkness, and you've done it here.  The use of second person, which not many writers attempt, is very effective here.  Likewise, the repetition of motif works well -- the wind, the scartching of branches, the terror that extends from the child to the grown warrior.

I expect you wouldn't be surprised to know that I share you sentiments regarding those who served the Witch King or his dark master: that these minions were not evil through and through. So your chilling vignette is a fantastic way of capturing this.

"I hope you've all enjoyed my attempt at horror-lite."

Oh, yes!  Very much so.  You nailed this character (and how!) here and put us into his head.  

I'm so happy you found it enjoyable, and I'm glad that I managed to make the repetition and second person come across well.

 I am not the least bit surprised that you share my sentiments regarding the servants of Sauron and the Witch King. Some of these people had to have been good - the people of Angmar conquered many realms of the Dúnedain, and so there must have been some good people there as well - and these had no choice but to serve the Witch King, out of fear for their lives. At least, that was how my logic saw it. 

 Thank you very much for your kind review, and I am so happy you enjoyed my attempt at horror-lite! It is not entirely Lovecraftian, but then again, I doubt many people can manage his excellent way of chilling the reader.