Something Un-Feanorian by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Warnings:

The violence of the Third Kinslaying and Sauron's devastation of Eregion are both more than merely moderate, of course, but are here shown reflected in dream and memory rather than directly.

Also, between the first and the second chapter, Maedhros commits suicide, but this is not shown.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elrond has a posthumous conversation with Maedhros at the time of the Fall of Eregion.

With glimpses of Elros and of the Third Kinslaying.

Now added: The Decision (gapfiller for the main story, Elrond's POV)

Major Characters: Elrond, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General

Challenges: Akallabêth in August

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 6, 956
Posted on 29 August 2011 Updated on 18 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Beleriand: A dreamscape.

Eregion: Another dreamscape and more imaginary corpses--but considerably more conversation and a complete change of mood.

Valinor: No dreams, no corpses, but a double flashback.

Glimpses of Fingon and Celebrian.

The whole story was originally conceived to fulfill a prompt by Alasse: Elrond visiting Maedhros after his reincarnation in Valinor--which the third and final chapter has now delivered...

Rough translation of the incomprehensible Quenya that Maedhros is described as crooning over Elrond as they rode from Sirion in Chapter Three

[Warning: Poetry]

Small gestures can sometimes amount to major decisions.
Elrond knows this.

Written for Fandom Stocking 2016 for Independence1776.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Un-Feanorian indeed.  It's hard to say 'delightful' when the conversation takes place in a location that bears memories for many characters I deal with, and when those memories are bad.  But I loved your depiction of Maedhros in this and find that the conversation and tag words would be quite in character for one of my favorite Feanorians.  Loved it!  

 

- Erulisse (one L)

'Orcs destroyed Sirion.'  That sums up just about everything that is wrong with the Kinslaying and how damaged the Sons of Fëanor are now at the end - and Maedhros has the presence of mind to recognize it. 

I love this story...it is very surreal, of course, but you make the link between the two seem very believable.  Maedhros might not have been what you'd consider a father to be proud of, but clearly...Elrond is, and claims his inheritance despite everyone else's thoughts on the matter.  Must have been quite the struggle, but you can see how this would shape the wise healer we meet at the end of the Third Age. 

The idea of them meeting again in the end, of Maedhros and Elrond offering one another help as needed is very...encouraging.  (And over-protective Fingon is too funny!)  Oh, and to have dream!Maedhros appear prior to Elrond's first real battle was a stroke of creative genius.  Perfect and unpredictable timing (though I guess the story description gives it away *grin*)

 

minor typo:  'he' should be 'I' when Elrond describes not understanding Maedhros' song in the third chapter. 

This time, he could not understand a single word

Oh, thank you! What a lovely review!

I'm so glad you think that the link between the two is believable and that you seem to think that the plot works and the story is encouraging. I hoped it would be.

Maedhros is aware that he and his brothers are doing Morgoth's work for him with the Kinslaying, yes. But his loss of hope after the Nirnaeth makes it increasingly difficult for him to believe any more that his intentions matter, that he can be anything but destructive whatever he decides or tries to do.

Thank you very much for pointing out the typo; I've corrected it.

 

The Sirion lullaby is heart-breaking but your Maedhros at the end of the First Age is *always* heart-breaking. The father-son relation works wonderfully and the final scene in Tirion makes perfect sense: no way Elrond could have have kept his professional cool! Hen-protecting-his-chick Fingon is, of course, perfect

I thoroughly enjoyed this read, for lack of a better word - the surreal dream scenarios had me mesmerized from the first, and considering that both Elrond and Maedhros are written about so frequently, it's quite a feat to match their characterizations to some things out there and still manage to add your very consistently own touch. 

Especially gutting: Maedhros passing Elrond on to his people, and oh, the parallels between Maedhros and Celebrían. In fact, if you'll permit this (with credit for the inspiration, of course!), I'm feeling a bunny gnaw at my ankle that's begging to be written...

But either way, thank you for sharing this.

Brilliant! Please do write that story! I felt I was short-changing Celebrian here, because she isn't given space to answer or react. But the structure of Chapter Three just wouldn't accommodate any answer or reaction worth recording. So I am delighted to hear about your plot bunny!

I'm very glad to hear that the dream scenarios work for you. I was quite worried about them.

And that bit about Maedhros passing Elrond on to his people came across as well? I am so pleased!

Thank you very much for reading and commenting!

I didn’t... I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS FINISHED!!!  I just read and... gah I can't form a coherent sentence!!! I'll come back later with a better (quite long, most likely) review. I just need a moment to calm down and organise my thoughts, because at the moment they are: jkagsdma,ejwkfgjehfjash!!!! <3

The second time I read the first chapter, the dream sequence wasn’t as confusing. The mind-bond Elrond and Maedhros share is very interesting; this way Elrond has an insight into Maedhros. That Elros doesn’t share that shows why he’s more wary of Maedhros, why he’s more attached to Maglor while Elrond is more attached to Maedhros.

‘Elrond, if I thought he might come through the door now, or even within a year or two, I would want to be there, I would want to weep all over him and then try and hit him repeatedly over the head with a blunt instrument—or maybe the other way around. But he is a Feanorion and, if there is one thing we know about Feanorians, it is that they are unable to let go of things; they are unable to let go of anything at all. And I just don’t have the time for that.’

I like your take on the reasons of Elros’ decision to follow the Edain. Elros’ love for Maglor explains why he said scathing things about Maglor. He must have felt abandoned, and for the second time (though they were so young when Elwing left that I doubt it hurt him as much).

to me Maedhros’s presence had come to mean safety, despite the dreams

I love that. Just because :)

Tyelperinquar did not find it easy to repudiate us. He would have feared the bad things you might tell him about us, but he would have equally wished to avoid hearing anything good.’

One thing I love about the way you portray the relationship between the Fëanorians and the rest of the family is how complex it is. It’s not simple to hate them, no matter what they did, and it’s not easy to love them, no matter how much they too had suffered.

Aren’t you overlooking something, Elrond? I killed my own people. I went insane. I committed suicide. None of that is exactly recommended procedure, I do assure you.’

That was funny. I see his point, but I also understand why Elrond would take him as a role model (minus the kinslaying). Elrond must have realised that if Maedhros was a good leader despite the insanity, he must have been great before that.

‘And besides, we loved you and you loved us.’

<3 <3 <3 I hope Elrond has a chance to tell him that in person now.

And I watched him try very hard to say ‘yes’, but in the end he said ‘no’.

It’s something I can see your Elros doing, trying to be resentful but in the end having to admit that, all things considered, they didn’t had a bad upbringing.

I would not, of course, agree at all that any of that was an un-Feanorian thing to do.

Not un-Fëanorian at all :)

Yes, I know he is Maitimo’s cousin Findekano, the one who saved Maedhros from Thangorodrim, but hasn’t Maedhros told him anything at all about me? Well, actually, knowing Maedhros, he probably hasn’t… 

For some reason, I had assumed Elrond knew about them. I find Elrond’s possessiveness, as well as Fingon’s mother hen attitude, endearing. If Maedhros didn’t speak of Elrond and Elros, then everything Fingon knows is based on hearsay, so it’s no wonder he’s fretting.

I launch myself straight towards him, narrowly missing trampling someone’s cherished bed of petunias, and fling my arms around his neck.

I love the idea of the sober former Lord of Imladris so happy to see Maedhros that he forgets himself and acts like a child <3

He was dead, by then, and it was too late to do anything for him, but I trained

Maedhros was a great influence in Elrond’s life, even after his death. I have no doubt Maedhros would be proud of the person Elrond has become, so he’ll have to acknowledge he’s been a positive influence. I think that, along with Fingon’s love (and Elrond’s too), will help Maedhros heal.

I loved this story. As always, you leave me wanting more :)

Wow! You weren't joking when you said you would probably write a long review, were you?! Thank you very much!

I'm very glad that I managed to write so many things that you liked and that made sense to you!

As for Elrond's knowing about Maedhros and Fingon, in fact, he does. But he didn't find out while Maedhros was still alive. You can see him finding out in my story "The Military Relevance of Sewage". He doesn't say much there, but it was rather a shock to him. Not a shock in the same way finding out was for Fingolfin, but a shock because Elrond had thought he knew Maedhros so well and it made him realize how much he didn't know about him. (That is partly why he suspects Maedhros hasn't told Fingon much about him either.) He's not quite got over that yet, by the end of the story, but he will when he gets the chance to see Maedhros and Fingon together, I think.

I didn't spell this out here, because I wanted readers to be able to enjoy reading this story without having to worry too much about what happens in the other stories of the series.

 

I do not usually cry while reading fiction, but this story moves me to tears every time I read it - and yet, I find myself coming back to it constantly. I love your Maedhros and, for that matter, your Fingon and your Elrond. You have a fantastic way of looking at every character, that makes them utterly sympathetic without whitewashing their flaws in the slightest. 

 

Thank you very much!

It is always great to hear that any of my stories bears re-reading! And I'm very pleased to hear that this one has such meaning for you.

When I wrote this story, I was quite worried that to anyone who wasn't a bit of a fan of my Maedhros already it would come across as a rather self-indulgent, but to my relief readers' reactions seem to show that this isn't the case.