We Will Be Who We Are by Lotrfan

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Originally posted for the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The Army of Valinor has come to Beleriand. Maedhros and Maglor feel they must join in this battle against Morgoth but are reluctant to bring Elrond and Elros into the conflict. War of Wrath prompt focusing on the relationships between the surviving sons of Fëanor and the sons of Eärendil they are fostering.

Major Characters: Círdan, Elrond, Elros, Gil-galad, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 732
Posted on 17 October 2017 Updated on 17 October 2017

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

This story uses the idea that Ereinion is Orodreth's son.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Oh goodness, this is so well thought out and absolutely heart-breaking.  The part where Elros says they are being left behind again and should be used to it was where my heart turned over for the first time.  And then the decision to take the jewels, and evil end coming to them.  Oh dear. 

This is very good. 

Beautiful--you made me cry first thing when I woke up in the morning:

Who would remember the kind, tender older brother Nelyo had been? The joking prankster that was Tyelko? The precise figures that Moryo could conjure out of nowhere, his writing neat and precise, the faint blush of pride on his face at a job well done. Who would remember Curvo, revising and reworking a metal hand, so that his eldest brother could feel whole again? And who would recall the twin faces of his younger brothers, breathless with laughter, as they once again confused their uncle as to their identities?

Well, done. I love the description of Maedhros' treasures. Love the relationship with Elrond and Elros also and the picture you draw of those two!

I really like the dignity, the polish if you will, of these four characters in your version: that they are facing the complex dilemmas of the end game in the War against Morgoth, still trying to make the best of their choices, and hoping for things to turn out a little better than the worst case.

For Elros and Elrond, this works --and if we think about the future, the Second and Third Age, it's world-changing. So that last good thing that Maedhros and Maglor did: raising the boys, and giving them up sometime before their last hopeless attempt on the jewels--has perhaps the greatest impact on the future, of anything they ever did. 

But I like the way you play their parting, with a sort of understated affection. Fingon's letters are a beautiful touch, and makes me think of the distant future in which Elrond's Rivendell is a place of learning and lore, where the past is remembered and Men, Dwarves or Hobbits encounter touches of the Elder Days. Even if only Elrond and a few of his old companions remembers the personal realities.

"They would live on as dreadful caricatures of themselves . . " Every part of the last scene is wonderful.

Thank so very much--as I mentioned to another to reviewer I was hoping to do justice to these characters with this fic--your comment makes me feel I've given them the gravitas and dignity they deserve. They are at end-game and their choices are still fraught with conflict and the right decision often may not be the easiest or the best thought out. 

I do think the effects of the Fëanorion influence on Elrond and Elros to reverberate into the second and third age--to Numenor and Gondor, to Imladris. I love your comment--you hit the nail on the head--it's world changing and the last truly good thing they accomplished before the bitter end--with an impact on the future but a glimmer of hope for their eventual redemption to me as well.

The relics do eventually reside in Rivendell--a place where even a Fëanorion would be welcome--as all are welcome there. A place of learning and creativity--not a fortress or a castle but a homely house, likely harkening back to his memories of Amon Ereb. With Erestor still at his side, as he said he would be.

I'm glad you liked Maglor's last scene--many times I see him written as a forlorn figure of despair but I don't see him that way. He is the son of the spirit of fire and he is going to live and remember and witness--to world's end--because he is determined. He keeps the memory alive and intact And moves forward in the world, just at a distance and hidden from those who knew him.

thanks so much for reading and commenting!

I loved the way in which you portrayed the relationship between the twins and the last of the Fëanorians, and also Ereinion's attitude towards the four of them. It was convincing and beautifully done. Having Elrond and Elros witness Eönwë's response to the request for the Silmarils was a clever touch that I've never considered before, although it makes such perfect sense. And those final musings about who would remember the Fëanorians as they also were, rather than as Kinslayers only, along with Maedhros' precious keepsakes and his step off the cliff... heartbreaking. Very well done.

Thanks so much. You've highlighted so many parts that were so important for me to bring out. 

The whole relationship between the twins and the Fëanorions fascinates me. I've wanted to write this timeframe for awhile and the prompt worked for it. 

Glad the twins at the end made sense-I think they would know first hand what that encounter with Eonwë must have been like for the Fëanorions.

Maedhros keepsakes have been a headcanon of mine for awhile--glad to bring them out here--the golden ribbon links back to the nelyafinwefeanorion What is Lost story posted here. The story of the banner is a WIP. Fëanor's notes are mentioned in my Spirit of Fire fic posted here--I've wanted to link them together at some point and was able to here. 

Maglor is very strong on his conviction of memories. It's what keeps him going. I find I keep exploring that theme with him In fics.

thanks so much for reading ano commenting. I was hoping I did justice to the characters. 

Took me forever, but I'm finally posting my initial reactions to this! I wrote them down while writing, so they're not incredibly intellectual. A lot of minor details in here made me think and want to explore new aspects of canon. 

 

Play by play reaction:

  • Oh my god, Erestor!? That’s so genius!
  • Loving the fact M&M have different views on the half-elven
  • *nods head in agreement* skirmishes are waaaay different than battle
  • Letters? They’re in contact with Gilly? I wanna know more. 
  • Ey! I’ve had the same exact thought about Elwing (and Eärendil)
  • (Now I wanna go explore the idea of the Quenya ban, because we see it again by the Third Age, but I can also see how in the First Age everyone would be tentative about speaking it, even with Thingol dead)
  • I like the handling of Gilly and the Fëanorians handling E&E’s fostering/captivity
  • Re: relatedness *except for Celeborn*
  • Oh! I like One being capitalized. Tolkien would approve.
  • How did I forget E&E would probably be viewed as Gilly’s heir? (Also, when did I start calling Gil-galad “Gilly”?)
  • I love your passive-aggressive, but not overly-so Círdan. 
  • The physical maturity not equating emotional maturity is my favorite thing ever.
  • :) YAY FOR RECOGNIZING MELIAN
  • They kinda do have a better claim, don’t then? Unless the Noldor followed Salic succession (boo) or had full-blooded elves come before half-elven
  • Excellent strategic thinking, Elrond. Heirs shouldn’t be right next to their liege (unless they’re, like, super safe in the back)
  • I CHANGED MY MIND ERESTOR IS THE BEST THING EVER. MOTHER HEN ERESTOR. HEADCANON ACCEPTED.
  • Ouch, goodbyes hurt.
  • Heh, clever little Elrond
  • *will never cease to be confused by Tolkien’s conception of free-will in Arda*
  • *also, Tolkien, you really should’ve expanded on what happened to the Fëanorians when they died*
  • I’m sad. This is sad. 
  • Thank you for not making Eonwë a jerk.
  • Huh. I never thought about how Doriath and Sirion survivors would feel about the jewels going West. 
  • Good for Erestor. Talk sense into the idiots. (It’s painful because you know it won’t work)
  • My heart broke at “To mother.”
  • Why do they always think people won’t put up a fight? It’s totally in-character, though.
  • YOU PROMISED YOU’D COME BACK FOR THEM YOU IDIOTS. YOU OWE THEM CLOSURE.

ERESTOR is in a lot of my fics--he's Maedhros friend and loyal seneschal. He's absolutely a grumpy mother hen--he's like that in all my fics.

I'm glad you liked my ideas about the half-Elven and maturity--I've been playing with that idea for awhile but this is first time I've utilized it.

maedhros reached out to Gil Galad when they first took the twins. He's been sending periodic uplates but this is first time he's suggested meeting and letting Gil take them. It's early for Gil to have definitive heirs but he's not married and the high kings of the Noldor tend to come to untimely ends--he may as well do this before another huge battle.

Cirdan's a minor character here but he's a bit bitter. 

I think Eonwë was in a tough spot--he is the herald and word of the Valar but he doesn't always mindlessly  agree with their decrees. 

Im so glad you thought they were in character! 

This was tough---I had a lot of emotions to comb through regarding these four main characters. 

Thank you so much Himring!  I have been wanting to write about this for awhile and when I saw the prompt on Silm40 I knew which part of War of Wrath I wanted to write. So much heartbreak in the Silmarillion--this is just one more instance of it. 

I hope you got some time to rest over the holiday--such a busy time. 

If you ever want to let me know more specific thoughts on this let me know--I value your opinion and have great respect for your writing. 

I read this when it was posted but I think it was on my phone and never got back to comment. Have actually stopped reading fic on my phone because this has become such a bad habit. Anyhow, I reread it tonight and saw I hadn't told you how very much I liked it. It's sometimes a bit odd seeing parts of a story you've told yourself from someone else's pov. Often it doesn't quite work, but this was wonderful. I loved your view of the twins and their relationship with Maglor and Maedhros, liked Ereinion (that's usually my deal breaker, lol), and agreed that the twins would likely have been sent to Balar rather than take their chances in battle - keep the only surviving heirs safe. Oh, and Erestor. I was so glad to see him there.

I don't usually write the Feanorions, so I've not played with the end of their story, but there are things I've often wondered - what were they planning to do once they got hold of the Silmarils, and why did Maglor not follow his brother this final time - and your answers resonate for me.

Maedhros' tear streaked face lifted up to meet his. "We give them back, of course. We need to claim them to bring this damned Oath to an end. I do not want them—they are nothing to me but a means to an end. Father may have cherished them but to me they are but a symbol of the loss and anguish we have suffered for so long." He gave his brother a weak smile. "Once we have them, we will give them to Yavanna. To bring the Trees back to life and to let us go home again. To Tirion. To mother. To peace."

Yes, that makes perfect sense, just didn't go as planned - again. And this -- this was beautiful and I had tears in my eyes reading it:

Maedhros tightened his fingers around the jewel that scorched his hand. His stump reached up to rub at the front of his tunic, where the deep, hidden pocket held his most precious treasures: the last of Fingon's letters and the bloodied, scorched scrap of Fingon's silver and blue standard, salvaged from the battlefield of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. The golden ribbon at his wrist shimmered in the light. He closed his eyes and stepped over the edge into the fire below, Maglor's guttural, wordless cry the last thing Maedhros heard before his end.

And at the end, Maglor as I know him:

No one. They would live on as dreadful caricatures of themselves, the essence of who they were forgotten by all, their names cursed for eternity. He would live, damn it. He would live to remember. He would live to honor their memory. Maglor turned his back on the encampment, turned his back on all that had gone before. He had his memories. He didn't need anything else.

Thank you for sharing this, I'm sorry the review is so late.

 

Thank you so very much for taking the time to come back to this and leave a comment! I'm so glad you liked it.

I have very strong feelings about the twins and their relationship with Maedhros and Maglor. It is an unexpected yet very poignant relationship.

Erenion was a bit of a blank to me before I wrote this--I had never written him before and I really had to think about him as a character and how I enVisioned him and wanted him to be. Balar made sense to me too, because of their heritage and place in the succession. 

Erestor is one of my favorites. He pops up in a lot of my fics as a supporting character. 

I'm so gratified Maedhros' reasoning made sense to you and rang true. I can't imagine he didn't play the scenarios out in his head time and time again, to try to figure out how to accomplish what they had sworn to do. And at what cost. 

There are some deaths that reduce me to tears every time I read them in The Silmarillion--Finrod, Fingon, Maedhros and Fingolfin. But Maedhros' palpable despair touches my heart. 

and yes I see Maglor very much this way--living to remember, living to be their memory, living for this very reason. Determined.