Last Days in the Magic Kingdom by Lordnelson100

Fanwork Information

Summary:

It was never the right moment to leave Doriath.


One of the first big leaks happened in the Hall of Ages, once used for the spectacular Autumn Moon dances. Formerly a favorite room of the Queen. A section of gilded woodwork, encrusted with carven grapes and flowers, gave way and fell to the floor. Water streamed in, ruining a delicate mural of the Great Journey. The polished parquet floor swelled and warped beyond repair.

No one was thinking about dancing, so soon after the King’s death and the Sack. They shut up the room and left it be.

 

Major Characters: Dior, Elu Thingol, Elves, Melian, Original Character(s), Oropher

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Het, Suspense

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Expletive Language, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 140
Posted on 2 January 2018 Updated on 2 January 2018

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


No sorries needed--I enjoy even quick comments. I know that feeling when sometimes the comment doesn't flow--but then if I tell myself I'll do a better one later . . . . opportunity lost!

I am glad you found the aura of Dorathian decay convincing: the idea of this magnificent grand place--suffering this huge disaster but not falling -*THEN* -- but not really accepting the dire state of things: really, what were poor Dior and Nimloth and all their court thinking? I read the Silm chapter on this era and I want to say: run! Run, you poor fools! But there are so many real world parallels: people are dreadfully bad at accepting "this is over" until it's too late.

I am a little hard on poor Dior: but I couldn't resist the idea of a well-bred and beautiful and well meaning young man--who is in hopelessly over his head!

You are welcome! The Silmarillion contains so many hints of a fascinating, beautiful, dangerous, awful world for ordinary residents of Beleriand--the Elves and Men and Dwarves who weren't kings or heroes: I just got fascinated with an ordinary solider in the post Thingol decline!