Written in the Starlight by Rhapsody

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Thus ended Beleg Strongbow, truest of friends, greatest in skill of all that harboured in the woods of Beleriand in the Elder Days, at the hand of him whom he most loved.

Or did he not? What would have happened if, by a slight change of fate, Beleg Strongbow survived?

This story ends here and is not going to be ever continued because my co-author Rhapsody is no longer with us. She died on October the 22nd 2020 and it is when my heart shattered.

Major Characters: Amras, Amrod, Beleg, Caranthir, Celegorm, Curufin, Elu Thingol, Finduilas, Gwindor, Mablung, Maedhros, Maeglin, Maglor, Melian, Nellas, Original Character(s), Túrin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Het, Romance, Suspense

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Mild), Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 5 Word Count: 27, 015
Posted on 19 June 2007 Updated on 19 June 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Special thanks to our wonderful beta's Lydia and Spaceweavil!

Special thanks to our wonderful beta's Lydia and Spaceweavil!

Special thanks to our wonderful beta's Lydia and Spaceweavil!

Special thanks to our wonderful beta Lydia!

Special thanks to our wonderful beta Lydia!


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I adore this idea! Beleg's death has always seemed to me to be one of the saddest and most pointless moments in the Silmarillion (I mean, Turin's life was already going to hell - why did Beleg have to be dragged into it?)

I like how this is very much a look into the minds of these two elves in this awful moment in time. Gwindor being unable to even utter the word brother is practically heartbreaking, as is his wolfing down of food and water. The setting and the atmosphere is tense and there is a sense of being in a hurry, while I as the reader just want to hold Beleg back from going to his (supposed) death and at the same time loving him for his undying loyalty. Oh and I can practically hear the Belthronding creaking as Beleg pulls it - I am right there in the battlefield with them. And yay!! for an orc arrow at the right time. (I never thought I would write such a thing!)

It is beautifully done - and I love how this is a canon-compliant AU, if there is such a thing. ;)

This part of the Silm simply begged for an AU take, not to mention that I would've been the happiest gal in the whole world if the professor had spared Beleg's life. Since he hadn't, we teamed up to bring him back.

Thanks for your wonderful review!  You made my day! :D

*hugs*

Binka

PS. I'm so bouncy to have received your comment that first posted my response as a new review, lol.

Another great chapter, and it is interesting to see in more detail what goes on among the different important players in that time.

I'm particularly pleased to see Mablung of course *smiles innocently*  - he is a very neglected caracter, though he must have had much to do with the important events in Doriath. I like how you allude to his friendship/mentorship with Beleg - how he misses his council now that so many threats stalk the borders.

The Fëanorians are great too, though fallen from grace and having spent many years now in the wild. They are all tortured by their losses and mistakes. I am amazed at how you have portrayed their different personalities and also the dynamics among them.  

The glimpse of intimacy between Thingol and Melian show the king and queen to be only "human beings" for lack of a better description. And Melians foresight is creating a lot of tension for what will come. 

I am slowly working my way through this story one more time, and savouring it a lot along the way.

 

It was an utter delight to frame and capture the Fëanorians after a defeat like that and leave it up to Binks to come up with such a fab scene with Thingol and Melian! She really made me sit back and go like: wooow, that's so magical! Besides that, thanks! You surely have been tickling the muses to continue with this story and we hope that you will like how we go about your Mablung!

 Thanks Hrymfaxe! 

Rhapsody

Thank you very much for reading and commenting! I saw all those notification emails in my inbox and I got thrilled and bouncy :D This story has a lot of hits -- ergo it must have been read -- but not many reviews, and if we get one, we go like OMFG!!!! (it's safe to say for both of us, I guess). And now five of them!!!! YAY!!!

This story is very dear to us both because we love Beleg and the Magnificent Seven :) I'm incredibly happy that you like it :D Thank you!

I enjoyed the scenes with the Fëanorions--their distinct personalities, the dialogues.  It's nice to get a glimpse of how they wandered about Beleriand after their fall from grace. 

Maglor's more active role here is great. I've always wondered why Maglor did not rescue Maedhros in Thangorodrim and why he was given the most dangerous watch in North Beleriand.  I'll be following this closely.

It's great that you included Maeglin here. I'm curious to see the role he will play.  (More gorgeous elves mean more fun IMHO).

The scene of the Fëanorions slaughtering the orcs was great in that it still shows how strong their brotherly bond is despite their very different personalities, their losses and their sometimes opposing motives. 

And now the two groups have joined. Yey!  

As usual, any line of Celegorm's is bound to cause a scene. He's my favorite blond though. And having Maglor use Daeron's room was priceless!  I'm excited to see more what our nice minstrel is planning.  Like I said, this is such an interesting AU, the Feanorions in Doriath before its fall.   Wonder where Luthien is though.

Melian is a bit "sly" here though. Wonder if Thingol knows this or is it all part of his plan. Very very nice complicated characters.