The Apprentice by pandemonium_213

| | |

Fanwork Notes

 MEFA08 Award Banner by Elena Tiriel

 Banner by Elena Tiriel

Warnings are given for examination of a Man's disturbed thoughts and sexual predilections: non-consensual sex and pederasty are commented upon in Chapters 7 & 9, but there are no explicit descriptions. The Adult rating is also given for some violent imagery in Chapter 12. As for the alternate universe business and my affection for "scientifiction," well, forewarned is forearmed.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An ambitious young Noldorin man of Ost-in-Edhil lands a coveted appointment as an apprentice to the most skilled master smith of the Gwaith-i-Mirdain: Istyar Aulendil. The apprentice's mentor, a prodigy of the Aulënossë, has been sent to Middle-earth by the Valar and has knowledge of exotic and wondrous technology. Istyar Aulendil also has notoriously high standards. The apprentice must meet his mentor's expectations if he is to become a journeyman and work on an important new initiative.

MEFA 2008: First Place, Villains, General.

 

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Original Character(s), Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General, Science Fiction

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Rape/Nonconsensual Sex, Expletive Language, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 13 Word Count: 37, 101
Posted on 4 August 2007 Updated on 4 August 2007

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Yes, it's verbose, but perhaps worth a gloss-through of a read.

A short list of primary characters and a glossary may be found in the End Notes of this chapter.

See end notes for commentary on canon and the Rings of Power.

As of 04/29/2008, modifications have been made to this chapter so that it aligns, although perhaps not seamlessly, with The Elendilmir, the sequel to The Apprentice.

Glossary and comments in End Notes.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


God, this story is just stunning.  I'd love to ay something actually intelligent about it, but that's difficult when one is sstill queeing like a hormonally-addled fangirl.  I love the way you manage to blend modern scientific concepts with Tolkien's (deliberately) technophobic Arda, and yet have the combination blend seemlessly and work.  And Samaril's guilt at the end is so painful to witness!  But the best part of the story is clearly your characterization of Sauron - human, likable, but in the end still utterly corrupted. 

(The saddest part fo the whole tale for me is the sense I get that, had Sauron chosen differently, he could have become Annatar and Aulendil in truth.  There is a genuine possibility for personal redemption facing him here - it would be a difficult path for him to traverse, but not an impossible one - but in the end he quite consciously and deliberately throws it away.  And after seeing him play the role of wise, benevolent teacher so well, the reader has a good sense of what is lost to Arda forever when he allows his darker side free reign.)

Thanks so much, Ithilwen, for reading The Apprentice and for your most appreciated compliments.  My apologies in advance for the lenghty reply, but once I get going...

 I’m especially gratified that the blend of contemporary scientific concepts (for which Aulendil is a perfect vessel; I figure the Ainur – whatever they are – possess incredible knowledge) and Tolkien’s world worked for you.  I continue to try to hone this.  Tolkien had some amazingly modern scientific/technological concepts in his world: Morgoth’s “tanks” in the invasion of Gondolin; Sauron’s Numenorean ships with hulls impervious to rocks and that move with out sails as well as darts like thunder (metal hulled ships? Some sort of ballistic weaponry?); the mention of flight of those who sought the Straight Road;  and what appears to be gunpowder and something like mustard gas during the battle of the Helm’s Deep and Isengard, respectively. Although I always was drawn to Fëanor et fils from my very first reading of The Silm in 1977, the fallen students of Aulë thoroughly captured my attention during my later day readings.  Fëanor has been portrayed beautifully by a number of writers as a complex fellow so I decided to go for a more reviled character -- Sauron.  Tolkien left me plenty of loopholes and openings to do so.  I also was intent on creating a Sauron/Annatar who was not a thinly disguised villain which is so prevalent in fac fic.  It’s hard for me to buy into the idea that the Gwaith-i-Mirdain would willingly accept an oily character into their inner sanctum. I tend to scrutinize the denizens of Middle-earth through the microscope of a hardcore life scientist.   Human bodies imply human behavior, even in incarnated Maiar. I’m afraid I capitulated to my dark muse’s begging and am giving him a chance at redmenption.  He points out that Tolkien wrote that even though he (Sauron) came close to absolute evil, he wasn’t quite there.  So in my ‘verse (an alternate history but still recognizable as Middle-earth), the better part of Aulendil (his creativity, his inquisitiveness) is captured in Middle-earth through another means.  Also, as a dogged survivor, Aulendil  creates a little artifact – a ring, of course -- as a failsafe.  That’s actually seen in The Apprentice although it appears to be just a sentimental trinket.  I plan on exploring the issues of betrayal, forgiveness, redemption, and a Middle-earth in which people who are in favor of progress and new technologies are not necessarily evil or “The Enemy” in an as yet unwritten novel or series of novellas (taking a cue from Oshun), but the set-up occurs in my current WIP, The Elendilmir, which is the continuation of Sámaril’s story. I am quite fond of Sám.  Thanks again for reading!  Likewise, I squee’d when I saw that you were in the process of posting your work on the SWG.   I am terribly behind on reviews, but stay tuned! :^)

"He had focused on each corporeal manifestation from the atomic to the molecular to the cellular to the organismal, from his skull to his toes to his liver to his fingernails. Like the humans of this world, the Maiar possessed the dichotomy of gender, female or male. Thus potent androgens shaped his bones, muscles and genitals, even to the extent of producing functional and genetically sound gametes. Every detail had to be ordered, perfect and believable"

Incredible.

The whole description of the transformation, the part quoted above and especially that of the mind is just amazing.

With such meticulous attention to all details, it's no wonder Eregion's people opened their doors to him....

And it is more intriguing, what was it that made Elrond/Gil Galad suspect him and eventually reject him.

And still there's one sentence which left me feeling as if there was something more, beyond anything I ever knew...: 

"an adaptation that had evolved in his species on a long forgotten world with a harsh, ever-changing environment

This has the feeling of some unknown tale of history or mystery that is beyond us...

I loved this first chapter. Thank you 

And thank you for your most welcome comments!  I'm glad you liked this -- probably the most "scientific" of the chapters. There will be a quiz by the way. ;^)

"With such meticulous attention to all details, it's no wonder Eregion's people opened their doors to him..."

I'm gratified this comes across clearly.  Something I found somewhat unsatisfying in a few interpretations of Annatar-in-Eregion was that the characterizations were that of an oily villain amongst a bunch of gullible Elves or a thinly disguised Maia of dubious background.  I see the Noldor of Eregion as comprising a highly sophisticated society.  So my interpretation of Annatar has him insinuate himself into their society by becoming "one of them" and by using persuasion, charisma and sheer intellect to integrate his will among them.

"And it is more intriguing, what was it that made Elrond/Gil Galad suspect him and eventually reject him."

In my 'verse, it's Elrond who suspects that something isn't quite kosher about him and advises Gil-galad not to bring this strange Elf into Lindon.  That will be the first chapter in the post-Elendilmir novel. :^)

"This has the feeling of some unknown tale of history or mystery that is beyond us..."

I may very well whip up a fic that addresses that.  It's an extrapolation/interpretation from some of JRRT's forays into overt science fiction (The Notion Club Papers is pretty wild) and odd little footnotes about the Valar -- that there were Valar on other worlds.

Thanks again, Scarlet!  I'm honored to have you here as a reader. :^)

"I see the Noldor of Eregion as comprising a highly sophisticated society."

Aha, VERY HIGHLY sophisticated:

 "Throbbing pain above my brows awakens me at dawn. My mouth tastes no better than the shit strewn by the rooster that I hear welcoming the sun from somewhere within the city walls. I wonder how much I had to drink last night - apparently more than I should have" (chapter 2) :-D

I am excited so far.  Sauron is so brilliant and his words stroke my theories that elven endocrine system is rigged so that the process of aging stops.  I am curious to see where this leads.  One little, tiny observation:  using so much Quenya is distracting, you already are using science terms that are usually not general knowledge and to add so much Quenya makes it hard to follow.  Sadly, not all of us are science phDs or linguistics buffs.

Oooh, you're taking a chance and reading this madness!  Thanks and thanks again, Olorime!

You know, you're right about the use of Quenya.  If I were writing this today, I'd cut back on the Quenya significantly and act as "translator"  which is my tactic these days. That is, when Sámaril mentions an "orange", it should be just that: an orange.  My writing has evolved a bit since I "published" The Apprentice. The science though...no compromises there (neither Sámaril nor the Istayr will allow me to do that ;^)).  I generally try to give a background on that, just as I did when I wrote blog pieces for the layman on the Chimp Refuge in its Science Blogs incarnation. 

At any rate, I thrilled that you're excited and reading this!  Thanks muchly.

"Ahh.. this leaves so many questions unanswered."

I know.  I'm such a stinker. ;^)

" Like who was Aulendil's wife?"

That's answered in The Elendilmir (but I don't slap the reader in the face with the information -- it's built upon in breadcrumbs of clues).  That will receive a more in-depth treatment in the novel/novellas planned after I complete The Elendilmir, but I kinda like to build the characters involved and make the concept plausible rather than just saying "this is what it is" and expect the reader to buy into it.  

"What happened in all those gap years... ack.. must read the rest of the AU."

There's various stuff lurking around here on the SWG, and I have a pretty big story arc ahead (not unlike Lethe's epic ;^)).  I sort of see mine as "Revenge of the Nerds, Middle-earth Style!" :^D

"Glorfindel is such an irresistible character, so much bravery and not a lot of background."

Ain't that the truth?  I like to say for every 100 fan fic writers, there are 100 versions of Glorfindel.  Mine is just a drop in the golden bucket of Glorfindels, but he plays a significant role in the Pandë!verse.

Thanks again for taking a chance on this, Olorime! 

 

Oh, this was just amazing! You have so many innovative concepts in this story - I love your portrayal of Sauron, and how the suspense builds throughout the story because unlike Sámaril, we know what is going to happen, and that those aren't just mood swings he observes.(Stupidly, I still found myself rooting for a happy ending although I knew there would be none.)

 

You also really make the 'scientification' work - I think there are not many writers who could write this way, at least I could not, and I would be sceptical of most endeavours as I would rather take 'magic' over science done badly. But here, of course, it is science done very very well. Although admittedly I have not read that much fic dealing with this period of time, this is the most brilliant treatment of Aulendil and the crafting of the rings I have ever read, and probably ever will.

 

(And at last, a fangirlish *squee* for finding Glorfindel in your stories, too!)

Esteliel!  Thanks so much for taking a chance on The Apprentice and for the kind words, well, heck, a most welcome review. 

When I decided to tread into Tolkien's mythopoiea upon his invitation (in his letter to Peter Hastings), I cast about for the most "scientific' characters -- the Noldor, of course, qualified, and the smiths of Eregion in particular.  Among the great scientists, well, those were the pupils of Aulë, and they had a tendency to go bad.  Fëanor (my long-suffering scientist-hero) had already been written -- and written well -- by others so I decided to address one who fell even farther: Sauron. 

Writing science within the context of Tolkien's world presents a challenge, and I like to think I keep improving on it since i wrote The Apprentice.  Like I mentioned to Rhapsody in her review left for "Ulmo's Wife", scientists often communicate complex concepts through metaphor or imagery.  So when writing about Sámaril's experience in the strawberry (photosynthesis) or a brain (crossing the blood-brain barrier) or experiencing bioluminescence, I tried to visualize these processes (I actually have very good "spatial reasoning" or ability to think in pictures) and then express them in words.  So I'm always thrilled to hear when it works for readers.  It's putting a bit of the magical and the wondrous in science.  But science has its dark allure, too, as Aulendil will quickly attest. 

Heh. On Glorfindel, I carefully chose him given what's to come in this story arc, and yep, the golden-haired dude has his appeal.  One of the things I love about fan fiction are the many interpretations of characters.  Like I said to Olorime, for every 100 fan fic writers, there are 100 Glorfindels!  And that is so much fun!

Thanks again, Esteliel!  I'm so pleased that you read and enjoyed this!

*gives you the fangurrrl bumpersticker* I love Glorfindel as well - have done so for most of my short life.

 This story truly amazed me, pande! I fell in love with it. To begin with, I was tired when I read it - I started before I read The Elendilmir. Númenor never truly fascinated me as a youth, but perhaps now that I'm a more grown woman, it will be more interesting to me. I'm in the process of re-reading the Silmarillion now, so I should find out relatively soon.

 But this was a treat to my fevered mind! I read the Elendilmir and loved it, as you well know, and decided to retry the Apprentice, and I found that I loved that, too. Sámaril is a very intriguing fellow, and I must confess I should get a fangurrrl bumpersticker myself because I fangirl over him. 

You've created such a charming and thorough persona for Sauron, and I found the combination of biology, metallurgy and psychology to be an utterly fascinating adventure in fiction. The creation of the rings has always been interesting to me - even as Númenor never really managed to fascinate me (I think it is the technophobic tree-hugger in me) - because I love how Sauron manipulated the elves, and still Celebrimbor kept the three secret from him. This has always been my one little "booyah", because in the end the Deceiver was outsmarted, even though he had the smarts. But I digress.

 My fevered mind has fallen completely in love with your portrayal of Aulendil, and I must confess that his psychology was probably some of what fascinated me the most. I enjoyed reading about his dissociation - not a very common disorder, but known to happen where it is "necessary". For instance in people who've lived through severe trauma, etc. And I'm thinking that the years with Morgoth as Gorthaur weren't exactly a waltz on thornless roses for him. 

 So once again, you have completely blown my mind. Though that might be the extensive list of medicine I'm currently influenced by. Thanks for writing this story and posting it here so that it could entertain me while I recover from severe pneumonia! I adored every second spent reading it!

My apologies for the belated response, Beatrisu, but my appreciation for your wonderful review is no less diminished by time. :^) 

Other authors have written one of the other great technologists of Tolkien's legendarium -- Fëanor -- and have written him very well so I thought I'd take on another fellow who fell much farther than that icon of the Noldor, namely the dark protagonist of this piece and others I've written.  So many portrayals of Annatar have depicted a thinly disguised villain who waltzed into Eregion and bamboozled  (the implausibly) gullible Gwaith-i-Mírdain. So with The Apprentice, I hoped to show how this sort of thing happens by drawing upon my own experiences in my education and career.  I have also "humanized" Annatar significantly, but I have very deliberate reasons for doing that, in part because such humanization makes his betrayals and quest for empire at the expense of all else that much worse than if he were a unidimensional ascetic sort of villain.

If I were writing this again, I'm not sure that I would demarcate Sauron's personality so distinctly, because he is of one mind, but yes, I think there's some degree of dissociation there that derives from events far, far back in his past, not only from his tenure with Morgoth, but even before.  But that's another story. :^)  

"And I'm thinking that the years with Morgoth as Gorthaur weren't exactly a waltz on thornless roses for him."

Heh.  Yep, I would think that Melkor was none too pleased when Sauron lost Tol-in-Gaurhoth to Lúthien.

Thanks again!  I'm delighted to have you as a reader, Beatrisu, and that you're enjoying the Pandë!verse.

I finally got around to reading this!

Wow, what an interesting subversion -the scientific war on Tolkien! There were so many fascinating details in here that I wouldn´t be able to list them all: electricity, black holes, genetic engineering... and the most disturbing is that they fit quite well in your interpretation of canon. Sauron´s split personality disorder works well, and he´s such a horrible POV to pull off.

The creation of the Rings of Power was very interesting to read, too. It´s so ironic that you made the Witch King a rapist, considering the events in LoTR, and the unexpected fulfillment of that prophecy about his death.

The PhD dynamics of your Noldor also struck a chord in me, though I don´t do my PhD in a lab and my working methods are quite different (Ah! ha moments are unfortunately much rarer when you´re a classicist, and always tempered by the horrible feeling that nobody will really care :/), but it was Samaril´s hurt at the betrayal what got me in the end. It was a really devastating blow, and the drama was very well achieved. (Not to mention it was brave to make the Aulendil persona resurface briefly even after that).

One thing I´m a bit confused with: you mentioned that "it was a minute genetic event that created the Elves´ profound differences with their mortal kindred". Does that mean they were some kind of mutation? And in that case, did Men exist first in your verse, but since they were mortal and less genetically perfect their culture didn´t advance as quickly and they had to put up with the Elvish idea that Elves were the Firstborn? Or am I getting carried away by my own ignorance on these matters? Ah, well..

Lastly: where did you get that map of Middle-Earth looking like our Earth? Is it from some RPG setting?  It made me really giddy that they located the Bay of Belfalas right where Gadir is. :P

 

Gadira!  Thanks so much for taking a chance on this and leaving such a lovely review!  It's deeply appreciated. 

Yes, I find the addition of so much "scientifiction" as Tolkien might have called it, to be absolutely irresistible.  For all his tart comments about "scientifiction,"  JRRT incorporated it into his works, most notably in "The Notion Club Papers."  Although Tolkien certainly appreciated the nobler aspects of science (he had a keen interest in things botanical, astronomical and paleontological, all of which enriched his secondary world), he seemed to look at those who practiced science with great suspicion. Rather than writing essays on the subject, I decided to embark on fan fiction as commentary.  It's taken on an unwieldy life of its own!   The Noldor of Eregion have intrigued me ever since I read Elrond, Gandalf, and Legolas' remarks about them in The Fellowship of the Ring.   My later readings caused me to recognize them as "my people:"  scientists and technologists. ;^)  Just as your training in the classics and history influences your work (wonderfully so, I might add -- I love your vision of Númenor and its inhabitants; the Phoenician influence is fantastic!), my mind of "metal and wheels" (and things molecular) influences my take on Middle-earth along with seeing and writing the characters from a humanist's viewpoint.  My feeling is that an Ainu can't just put on a human form like a sweater with little effect.

If I were to write The Apprentice now, I'm not sure I would split Sauron's personality so distinctly.  As the character (as I see him in the Pandë!verse) has evolved, his personality has become more complex and more integrated (he's excellent at justifying his actions and with denial).  I'd say that "Downfallen" and especially "Into This Wild Abyss" reflect my thinking more fully now.  Sauron's story continues in my 'verse so I may be able to revisit some of the events in The Apprentice from his POV with a more integrated personality.

"Or am I getting carried away by my own ignorance on these matters? Ah, well.."

Oh, my goodness, no!  That's a very astute observation.  In my 'verse, the genomes of Elves and Men are practically identical, reflecting Tolkien's own words that Elves and Men are biologically the same race.  What confers quasi-immortality in the Pandë!verse has a biological basis, and it's how certain genes are expressed. This has to do more with regulation of genes, the proteins they encode and how these are all orchestrated than many mutations.  There are likely some subtle differences at the gene level, but much of the differences might be accomplished through regulation.  There's also a "spiritual" (for lack of a better word) component, too:  the Elves of my 'verse have stronger conscious control of their physiology than Men, e.g., elvish fëar and the connection to the hröar.

"And in that case, did Men exist first in your verse, but since they were mortal and less genetically perfect their culture didn´t advance as quickly and they had to put up with the Elvish idea that Elves were the Firstborn?"

You guessed correctly.  Lamarckian evolution seemed to be operative in Tolkien's vision (not surprising as Lamarckism was more accepted in his time).  In the Pandë!verse, evolution is Darwinian.  I would say that mortals are not less genetically perfect than Elves -- just different -- but the Elves had it instilled that they were "Firstborn" and probably liked (and perpetuated) that higher caste status.  In the Pandë!verse, the Elves are what would be called "hopeful monsters" in an evolutionary sense, but their origins are, well, without giving too much away, not entirely natural (like Men or Hobbits) although they think (or are led to believe) it is.

The map -- yes, isn't that wonderful?  I got it from Sampa Rydman's site -- http://www.lindefirion.net/maps/index.html.  I'm not certain if the identical map is still there but it looks as though he has another version of it on that site. He's quite talented.  Likewise, I love the projection onto our primary world.  I believe these maps are derived from his involvement with MERP (Middle-earth Role Play).  When I was writing The Apprentice, I found it and thus came across "Sakal-an-Khar" as a geographical equivalent to India.  However, the MERP RPG has a description that really does not fit well for me, so "Sakal-an-Khar" has now become "Bharat" (the Sanskrit name of India) in the evolving Pandë!verse.

Thanks again for the review, Gadira, and for your indulgence when reading this voluble response! :^D

Finally took the time to read this, and it was amazing. I particularly loved your take on elven "magic"- ever since that Lothlorien moment with Haldir more or less "meh, I guess you stupid mortals would call it magic hmpf" I have wondered about the magical-ness of Elves - or their lack of it. This is just...so much better than anything I imagined though! In fact, I think your scientific take on their techniques is still pretty magical, even though it has more sense to it. Actually more intriguing, as moving your mind into a plant sounds more fascinating than just hammering various magical runes into a sword whilst chanting a badly rhyming spell. 

Sámaril was a great character also, a very believable OC who reminds me of some of my very ambitious and very sleepless friends. His friendship with the human girl was interesting also - and the unforeseen results of his gift. I wonder if she only looked sad because she was aware her use of the gift offended the sensibilities of the giver. There may be nicer things to be now, but I think popular courtesans had great, adventurous lifes in comparison to other women in centuries past. 

Your Annatar though, of course steals the spotlight. Entirely. His split personality was so well done. But also the creation of his body and his way of thinking - amazing. The scientific terms in this actually made it so much better, it sounds more...real. If you would just have said "he created his body with Maia magic, the end" it would not have had the impact it had: the thoughtful choosing of features, too, and the effort to make it so. It makes it more real, somewhat chilling too. I loved your describtion of the Void, too. I never thought of it as a black hole, but that is a great idea. I wonder if you think Melkor still actually exists as a personality, then? Or would he simply have been deconstructed, making the whole "shadow of Melkor" idea invalid? Or maybe you could say that even if he did not actually exist anymore, his shadow was still on Arda due to its history already having been constructed. Hmmm. 

Also love your Glorfindel/Laurefin. I never thought of him doing math as a passtime, but why not? He lived in a Noldorin culture, after all, and was several 1000s years old. It's so hard to imagine being that old, but of course he would have had enough time to pursue things other than fighting and strategy...even without being floaty, that alone being true for most Elves makes them profoundly different from humans already. I think you captured that nicely. And now for something completely different: I find your re-embodiment idea creepy. I grew up as a JW, and stories of being re-embodied after Armageddon to live forever afterwards ( sound familiar?) always spooked me to no end because, well, because basically it was exactly what you came up with: they don't believe in the existence of a soul, but if you have died you are re-created from god's "memory"- I don't even think comparing god's mind to a quantum computer would even be considered heresy by them, lol.... The first time I was told this, when I was about 6 or so, I really was scared and said something like "but that wouldn't really be you, wouldn't it? Just a copy of you. You would still be dead!" ( elders of course waved it away: JW theology contains many strange, vaguely terrifying ideas but they are always presented in a "it's all good and perfect!!" way). Brrr. Anyway....not religoius myself, but oh well, your Glorfindel note sparked some memories. Hah. 

I feel like I wanted to say more but I forgot. I still have a lot of work to do, which means a lot of procrastination, which means I might just start reading the Elendimir now... :P

OMG, Aerlinn!  I am so, so sorry that I am only now responding to this stunning review.  I deeply, deeply appreciate your extensive and fascinating thoughts evoked from The Apprentice.  

I used more scientific jargon in The Apprentice than I might now, but overall, I wanted to convey that science (and scientifictitious science :^D) hold as much wonder as "magic."  Good point on the mortal girl who receives Sámaril's ring, and my bet is that you're right:  she's sad because Sámaril judges her (and he is a judgmental guy).

Hmmmm...Melkor's fate per the black hole.  Perhaps he has been dragged into another dimension or universe, but still, a shadow is present in Arda, almost a concept of quantum mechanics, so strange as to seem like "magic."  Or he has been re-embodied as a CEO or other sketchy leader in our universe.  I have always wondered about Dick Cheney. :^D

Likewise, I think re-embodiment of the Elves is a deeply disturbing concept, and it would surely be odd for such an Elf to return to mortal lands.  A number of authors have treated this in very compelling ways.  Keiliss' Glorfindel has deep-rooted anxiety when he arrives.  Feels very real.  I never thought I'd succumb to writing much about Glorfindel because others have dealt with the character so well.  But by golly, he keeps horning in on the action (appearances in The Elendilmir, Flame of the Desert, and A Rose by Any Other Name).  He's a very smart fellow, but he seems to be a risk-taker and a bit eccentric. :^D

Thanks again!  

 

I'll begin with an apology, because this review is about three and a half years overdue. I first read The Apprentice shortly after I discovered SWG, even before I signed up as a member, in those times when I didn't believe that a few stumbling words of praise by a newcomer to the fandom would be noticed by such a fabulous author. Ok, so I was wrong. Like Sámaril, I was dazzled and still am!

I'm not sure my words will be any more coherent after all these years. I haven't read this story for a long time, even though it strongly shaped my own vision of Sauron as the beguiler of the elves of Ost-in-Edhil. In fact, I did my best to push it to the back of my mind. While I was writing my own tale of Sauron, I did not wish to be consciously swayed by pandemonium_213's powerful incarnation of the Dark Lord. I wanted to be able to say, with a clear conscience, that any similarities were purely coincidental, or at most, subconscious!

That means I've been really keen to re-read The Apprentice for over two years. Now, I have, and I've relished it with renewed appreciation, having developed my own understanding of Sauron; in fact, it's been an exquisite pleasure to recall all the fabulous details, one by one, as the story unfolds and progresses to its inevitable conclusion. Pandemonium_213's Sauron appeals like no other, not even my own, to my scientific and engineering mind. So much so that I could be Sámaril, as I can relate to each and every moment of his journey.

Credit to the author's masterful storyteling and character development, that I can slip without any effort into this young, ambitious man's shoes (hangover included!) and believe that I, too, would have fallen for the dazzling personality and the amazing intellect of Istyar Aulendil. I would have done possibly almost anything Annatar had asked to impress him with my ability. I would have been blind to his manipulation, tempted and seduced by the search for knowledge he dangled before my eyes. I would have been... hopeless.

What an irressistible bait Sauron makes himself into, in order to appear genuine before the suspicious elves of Ost-in-Edhil... The description of this patient intellectual seduction is just perfect, as is the exploration of the dark hunger of people like the Prince of Tharbad, in order to advance his designs as he begins the creation of the rings.

This is indeed Tolkien's Sauron and much, much more. He's also a complex man with feelings for those he plans to betray, glimpsed during those rare moments of camaraderie; he's genuinely witty and sociable, even kind sometimes, because he enjoys the company of like minds; he's a real life ambitious scientist, like those I've known in the past; and he is a Maia, or Fay, though he cunningly hides his power under the pretence of having studied with Aulë. His more human, sentimental side only serves to highlight how ruthless he is in his ultimate purpose to dominate the elves under his power, even if along the way he regrets what needs to be done.

The way Sauron partitions his mind in a conscious sort of schizophrenia is an amazing and convincing explanation of the dichotomy between the two opposed sides of his personality, ruled by a mediator who doesn't lose track of his final objective. The analysis of the fight between these sides, tyrant and creator, makes me mourn for the fate of the bright Aulendil, locked by the stronger, winning Gorthaur.

I love the little warning, also a farewell, that the former master manages to convey to his apprentice in Ost-in-Edhil, as well as that moment of "cognitive dissonance" at the end. They both speak to me of the possibility of redemption, if the tables turn again at some point. I know they do...

This is an awesome story, one that changed my perception of the whole Tolkien legendarium, as it was the first time I saw the real Sauron come to life in all his complexity, far removed from the simplistic villanous forms I had encountered so far in the LOTR fandom (and in The Lord of the Rings itself, though other works of Tolkien hinted at the "truth"). The Apprentice revealed to me the character I had longed to discover. It was an "Ah ha!" moment... And it has been again this time.

 

And I apologize for the belated reply to this stunningly generous review, made all the more valued because it is written by an author who has created a Sauron who resonates so strongly with me and within one of the best novels (Chasing Mirages) out there in fandom.

When I first came into fandom and decided to focus on one of the more infamous of Tolkien's fallen "scientists,"  I did a bit of research by reading other Sauron focused fics.  Although some were excellently crafted, I was left frustrated, because (and I will be direct), the authors tended to write Sauron as a thinly disguised oily villain who nonetheless was welcomed into the Gwaith-i-Mírdain.  The writers did not address effectively the draw of intellectual seduction, particularly in the realm of science and technology.  You know what it's like, Russa.  The lure of the latest new shiny and even more so, the minds of the great inventors.  

When I read JRRT's remarks to Peter Hastings in Letter 183 (I think it was 183) that the smiths of Eregion, whom Tolkien described as being on the side of science and technology, desired the knowledge that Sauron genuinely had to offer, I knew where I was going.  This immediately reminded me of my real life experiences as a "smith equivalent" in the rarified atmosphere of Boston biotech and the powerful and charismatic senior scientists (professors at Harvard and MIT, VPs in the industry) who drove the engines of discovery and development...and the darker sides of the industry and its people.  So I extrapolated this to Middle-earth.  It's not at all surprising that our versions of Mairon share common features, not just because of the obscure source texts we love, but also because we both have minds "of metal and wheels."  (But still like growing things!  One can appreciate both!)

So, likewise, I give a major bow to your fabulous Mairon, and if my Dark Muse influenced him in any way, then I am well and truly honored.  Just as I am by this wonderful review, which I cherish!  Thank you so very, very much!

(At some point in the future, we need to collaborate on a definitive biography of Sauron for the SWG.)

 

Well, I finally sat down and read this, Pande, and really I should not have put it off so long. What a great portrait of Aulendil/Gorthaur as he struggles with his two halves, and terrifying to watch the Gorthaur side take over -- nicely symbolized at the beginning as he decides whether to use force or persuasion to tame the big black horse.  You also did a fantastic job of showing the tension between the good uses of scientific inventions vs. the way they can be corrupted.   

I’ve loved your character Sámaril from the glimpses I’ve had of him in the Elendilmir (reading your whole opus will be another project) so it was wonderful to see his beginnings here in which his ambition and his desire to gain his master’s love and respect make him blind to what his master becomes until it’s too late, and how terribly wounded he is at the betrayal. The Stephen Deitz quote that betrayal is willful slaughter of hope really got to me.  

And of course, your descriptions of how Sauron manipulates objects at a molecular level are so wonderfully creative, from the description of how he alters his DNA to create his Annatar form, to the manipulations of the firefly luminescence, to how they entered human thoughts, and then transferred this information to inanimate objects.  Well, it’s enough to make me believe that forging the rings is possible. Another wonderful quote from Arthur C. Clarke.

Your description of the forging of the prototype rings made perfect sense (and is certainly how inventions actually progress)and was something I’ve wondered about since it was clear that the Ring wasn’t the only magic object of its kind in Tolkien’s verse and yet, aside from the Three, the Seven, and the Nine in LOTR, we never see all the other experiments that must have been floating around.  So, I especially liked the idea that Sámaril, in attempting to do something good for his young friend, actually changed her in ways that shocked him. Nice foreshadowing.    

You’ve taken the rather shallow personification of Evil that Sauron is in LOTR and made him complex and fascinating and believable.  Fantastic story and I’m sorry I waited so long to read it.

Your Sauron is one of the best characters I know of in fiction (fan or otherwise). He is evil but he is also likeable and capable. This is a powerful combination – I understand completely how he seduced that many people. Even when you know he betrayed many, there is something very admirable about him (no pun intended).

From your works I liked best: The Apprentice, Trinity, Into this Wild Abyss, The Prisoner and the Hobbit, Flame of the Desert, How the East Was Won, The Writhen Pool, Ulmo's Wife and Winter's Drums, even though The Apprentice is my favorite, based on the sentimentality of reading it first. As a side note, I have been reading your works for almost three years now.

I noticed that lately you haven't been writing much. I know that you probably started to write Sauron from the point he became “independent” in a way, that is, after the War of Wrath, but did you think about writing Sauron's years under Melkor? I know that there were hints in your work that Sauron was overwhelmed, in a way, by Melkor's personality, and it was hinted several times that he was both afraid of him and admired him, so if you think that this wouldn't make an interesting Sauron, why wouldn't you try to write your own Melkor in more detail? It would probably be a thrill to read. A brilliant but brittle mind, was it?

Please, think about it.

"Thank you" seems pretty inadequate for this lovely review, belegur, but...THANK YOU!  Lately, I have felt detached from fandom (largely due to work demands) and a bit irrelevant (I should really avoid the #silmarillion tag on Tumblr but I cannot look away :^D), so your comments came at a much needed time and are *incredibly* encouraging.

This is a powerful combination – I understand completely how he seduced that many people.


Oh, thank you, thank you!  Y'know, when I first dipped my toes into Tolkien fandom by reading fics on FFN and HASA, the majority of fics about Sauron-as-Annatar I came across portrayed a thinly disguised villain, which didn't ring true for me.  Why would the Elves of Eregion, who surely were a highly perceptive and intelligent people, take in someone like that?  At any rate, I've drawn on a fair degree of Real Life™ experience in my portrayal of Sauron although there's a LOT of extrapolation to Middle-earth, to put it mildly.

did you think about writing Sauron's years under Melkor?

Oh, definitely!  The "Dark Muse" and I have conversed about that. ;^)

I know that there were hints in your work that Sauron was overwhelmed, in a way, by Melkor's personality, and it was hinted several times that he was both afraid of him and admired him, so if you think that this wouldn't make an interesting Sauron...

Re: Pandë!Sauron being overwhelmed by Melkor yet admiring him, too. Yes, indeed, that hits the Pandë!Angband nail right on the head, and I'd love to write about this although honestly, I think I could only do it from Sauron's POV.  If (or rather *when*) I get back to "Light Over the Mountain," some of this might start emerging more clearly. 

Melkor, though...I've written from his POV abstractly (Chosen), but not yet in a tight third person.  That would really be delving into the heart of darkness!

Re: Pandë!Sauron and Melkor's relationship.  Again, I tend to extrapolate from Real Life™ when I consider them.  When my thesis advisor finished up grad school and went to his first post-doc, he left his the lab of his kindly, wise graduate advisor and joined the lab group of a Famous Harvard Professor (FHP) - a powerful, brilliant guy who got things done.  Within a couple of months, Thesis Advisor discovered that the post-docs in FHP's lab had been there for *years* and that any time one would try to strike out on his own (and yes, they were all men), FHP would "blackball" him, i.e., write bad recommendations, call the potential employer and trash the post-doc, etc.  Thesis Advisor managed to "escape" and persuaded another scientist (call him Young Upcoming Biochemist) who was a bit scared of FHP as the latter had a formidable reputation, to take him in as a post-doc.  The words from *The Silmarillion*, "he fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong" remind me of those post-docs from FHP's lab who tried to escape. :^D

So, when I think of Pandë!Sauron and Melkor, I invariably see some parallels to my Thesis Advisor (Mairon) leaving his Kindly Graduate Advisor (Aulë) and casting his lot with Famous but Scary Harvard Professor (Melkor).  This extrapolation to a Real Life™ situation is probably why I don't ship Mairon/Melkor, i.e, when I consider that pairing *in the Pandë!verse* (lots of other folks *love* Angbanging and all power to them), I think of my advisor and FHP (whom I had met on a few occasions) together and need to bleach my brain.  :^D  At any rate,  I probably should take some inspiration there and run with it.

Yep, I haven't been writing much, not because I am not longer interested, but because currently, my work-related writing pretty much drains all of my "Dark Muse's" creative energies, and I have little to none left over for fun writing.   Work will calm down toward the end of this year, and I'll get back to it.

Well.  That was a long reply! 

tl;dnr: Thank you so very much for your comments - this review is a true gift, belegur!

I just might have an idea who FHP is, but since I couldn't find a way to private message you I will keep my mouth shut. EJ?

On a completely unrelated note, a while back, when I was going through some Fanfiction net and Archive of Our Own older stories, I found only a few of your works.

SWG is an awesome site, but it is not exactly crowded. Try posting your other works on those sites, especially the longer ones. If you would in fact consider doing this, I highly advise you - don't post everything at once, but chapter by chapter, perhaps at a steady pace of once a week – as I noticed, most of the writers on those sites who are popular develop (sometimes in a very short time) a steady followship, based more on the regularity and length of their updates than on quality.

Your work is high quality work, and high quality work deserves to be well known. Unfortunately, this also takes an effort that is not necessarily writing related.

Best of luck!

PS Thank you for the (future) lack of Angbanging in your stories! Slash is usually pretty boring to me.

EJ?


Heh.  No, not EJ (and I know exactly to whom you refer), but another and now deceased.  I think there's a contact button somewhere around my profile per the SWG's format, but here's my email under yet another of my pseudonyms:  docbushwell@gmail.com.

Yep, I've tended to hunker down in the SWG, which is definitely a comfort zone for me.  I posted a single fic (How the East Was Won) on FFN as an experiment, and it was pretty much crickets chirping, but then I don't really participate on that archive.  I have posted more on AO3, and several fics were migrated from HASA over there.  I'll probably keep gradually adding stuff there as I think it's a good archive.  I participate a bit more there, i.e., reading and commenting.

If you would in fact consider doing this, I highly advise you - don't post everything at once, but chapter by chapter, perhaps at a steady pace of once a week – as I noticed, most of the writers on those sites who are popular develop (sometimes in a very short time) a steady followship, based more on the regularity and length of their updates than on quality.


That is an excellent suggestion, and a very interesting observation!   The Apprentice was migrated to AO3 from HASA in one fell swoop, and although it did not go completely unnoticed, it just sort of fell into oblivion.   Given your observation of AO3 dynamics, it makes sense that it would just slip away like that.  I already have a few short fics on AO3, but I'm going to follow your advice for posting multi-chapter fics there.  Clearly, there's a strategy to this.  Heh.  The Elendilmir would take me over a year to post at a chapter a week and might actually allow me to catch up with the story! :^D  At any rate, thanks so much for the great advice! 

Your work is high quality work, and high quality work deserves to be well known.


Thank you so very much!