The Wake by MithLuin

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This seemed an appropriate way to commemorate the anniversary of the Silmarillion, and so I dug this out of my notebook and typed it up for the contest.  Not *quite* new writing, but close enough!  This is part of one of my WIPs. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elrond and Elros are introduced to a Fëanorean tradition. 

Major Characters: Elrond, Elros, Maedhros, Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Anniversary Contest

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 3, 895
Posted on 1 October 2007 Updated on 1 October 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


It's hard, sometimes, to do a 'retelling' in a fresh way, but you have managed that with the personal emotion you bring to the characters.  I especially like the comment that it was the Sons of Feanor and their deeds that brought Earendil and Elwing together (giving up Elros and Elrond and eventually Aragorn) because it highlights so well the depth of the intermingling of good and ill that is the foundation of so much of Tolkien's work.   Well done.

I am glad you found this telling emotionally charged...since I obviously couldn't make it terribly 'surprising' to the reader ;).  As huge of a fan of Maedhros and Maglor as I am, and as much as I think that Elros and Elrond were treated as sons, even I have to admit that their record was rather....checkered, and that they must have been in denial almost until the end.  Thank you for the review, Suriel! 

Ah what a great story, it has the feel over it that often is associated with the time of the year: remembering the death and looking back at our past. In this case the turbulent one of the Fëanorians, the concequences of their actions and how this all is of influence on the twins. I like how you gave every character such a distinct voice fitting to their age. I mean of course food would be on the mind of those two youngsters, just as much as they would be seeking for their own identity. It is a delight to read Maedhros as a fiery elf, I thoroughly enjoyed that. When you brought up Maglor and his pendants, I will freely admit I had to think about a chapter from AMC where Maglor acts nearly the same!

If I may suggest some concrit: this story does need some attention especially regarding the pacing at certain places. Sometimes it is a matter of punctuation or repetitive word usage (words like but or and... and.. and that in one sentence). It are small things though and they caught my eye, so it can be just me. After I read this short work, I felt very antsy to read more of your wips, so I will be on the look out!

LoL, I didn't even realize that!  Maglor's pendants are actually a small bit of self-insertion; I wear the same necklace every day, but I change them out seasonally.  I have to admit that I don't have a good feel for how these noble (even royal) elves with a craftsman for a father and a proud streak a mile wide would react to the idea of 'ornament'.  Part of me feels they should keep things simple, and another part of me feels they should take symbols of their rank for granted.  Fiery Maedhros was the most fun to write, though it was sad to reveal how broken he was here. 

I appreciate the concrit; I do feel this story needs a beta, but I won't inflict it on anyone until it is a bit more...cohesive.  I am sorry I work so slowly!  Thank you for your wonderful review, Rhapsody. 

This is such a compelling story! I enjoyed every single bit: the tale of the past, the reflection upon the future, the characterizations, the emotions. And I kind of think that this is what we, modern humans, may really have in common with those mighty immortals: we cherish the memory of our beloved that passed away regradless of the circumstances (if I make any sense here).

Thank you for sharing it. Your story is going up to the list of my favorites.

Binka 

Awww :)  Thank you so much, Binka!  That was such a great review, I'm flattered!  Yes, it is easy to think that immortals wouldn't experience loss...but Tolkien was hardly kind to his First Age elves!  They may have lived hundreds of years (or more), but so many of them did die, in the end.  I hadn't really thought about how that 'humanizes' them while I was writing this, so thank you for bringing that to mind. 

Thanks so much for the review!  A Wake is a very...human...activity, so I'm not sure if it fits in elvish culture.  But elves in Middle Earth have to have dealt with death and memory in some way, so I hoped it would fit.  I'm glad you liked the feel of the end!

Hehe, Maglor's pendants are autobiographical.  I wear a necklace for Advent and Christmas, another for Lent, and another for Easter season.  The rest of the year, I wear my 'normal' necklace.  That cyclical, almost liturgical approach to the change of seasons seemed rather elvish (if a bit more something the Sindar would do, rather than the Noldor), but I thought that Maglor, as a musician, might appreciate some sort of symbolism in his pendants.  So, the one he wears in this story reminds him of his father (and was perhaps made by him, though I'm not sure about that).  He wears it to other 'family' events as well.