The Elendilmir by pandemonium_213

| | |

Fanwork Notes

First, I am indebted to the skinks, geckos, frilled lizards, chameleons and other squamates of the Lizard Council for their invaluable critique and their long-standing indulgence of the Pandë!verse. Many thanks to Rhapsody, oshun and Moreth for vetting this at various times and for their continued encouragement, good humor and affection. Also thanks to oshun (Maitimo & Findekáno and A New Day), Gandalf’s Apprentice (Sword of Elendil), Jael (Nightfall), and Surgical Steel (see Surgical Steel's Fan Fiction as well as her stories here on the SWG) for allowing me to borrow from their canon.

As usual, I must designate this as AU -- or more accurately an alternative history -- because of my defiance of canon (while remaining strongly informed by it) and because my vision of Middle-earth is more congruent with our primary world. Tolkien wrote wonderful essays on the origins of the sun and the moon (1) in which he attempted to retrofit his cosmogony away from the scientifically untenable “flat earth” concept and thus emphasized his notion that his legendarium represents an imaginary history of our primary world. I draw inspiration from these writings as well as others in The History of Middle-earth, The Letters of JRR Tolkien and Parma Eldalamberon.

As a life scientist, I also imbue the "magical" beings of Middle-earth - Elves, Dwarves and incarnated Maiar alike - with humanity; this does not mean that they lack mysterious characteristics and thus convey a sense of the Other to mortals of our race.

Although I have selected some canon characters from the SWG drop down menu, be aware that most (Valandil being the exception) have minor roles with respect to Sámaril, the OMC. The mortal protagonists of The Elendilmir were not fleshed out by Tolkien even though they appear in his writing, e.g., Aragorn’s great^nth-grandfather - Valandil. Others -- the queens of Arnor and Gondor -- were not even given names by JRRT! Another OC made an appearance in Risk Assessment and pops up here and there in Sámaril's recollections of his life in Ost-in-Edhil.

Update: Given the number of OCs (both Elven and mortal) in The Elendilmir, I have added their names and brief descriptions at the end of each chapter. Many thanks to Claudio for his input on Elven naming traditions. The link to the name generator is provided below. I have also used the Parma Eldalamberon vol. 17 as a source for root words and have coupled these with Claudio's name generator (a highly recommended resource).

Language resources:

Ardalambion

Hisweloke Sindarin dictionary

Quenya & Sindarin name generator

Parma Eldalamberon vol. 17

Be aware that I write as a “translator” and often use a modern voice (but devoid of banal slang – I’ll save that for other fics). If you’re looking for flowery archaic language or Tolkien mimicry, you will not be satisfied with my writing.

This is a work-in-progress so I am a tad nervous about posting it. I am a rampant revisionist. However, I have the story arc sketched out so hopefully I will not tear this into digital shreds in the future.

(1)Tolkien, J.R.R. "Myths Transformed" In The History of Middle-earth, vol XI, edited by C.R. Tolkien, 369-390. London: HarperCollinsPublishers, 2002.

----------------------------

What has transpired previously (synopsis of The Apprentice):

Sámaril, born in Ost-in-Edhil around the year 1440 of the Second Age, trained as apprentice and then journeyman under the guidance of Istyar Aulendil, the brilliant but mysterious master craftsman of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain. Sámaril –- an ambitious young man -- admired his teacher greatly and was ever eager to impress him. Aulendil in turn nurtured Sámaril’s talents in the deep arts. Although sparse with his praise, Aulendil took pride in his pupil’s acumen and even harbored avuncular affection for him.

Under his mentor’s tutelage, Sámaril crafted many artefacts and made a name for himself in Ost-in-Edhil. Aulendil also instructed Sámaril in the psychology of Men via uncanny methods. As Sámaril progressed in his studies, Aulendil gave him a coveted but secretive assignment: the crafting of rings, culminating in Sámaril’s creation – with Aulendil’s assistance – of nine Rings of Power.

Aulendil betrayed the smiths of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain and the people of Ost-in-Edhil terribly: his true identity as Sauron was revealed when he forged the One Ring and declared himself. This deeply personal betrayal by the man whom he had admired and trusted, together with the death of his family, damaged Sámaril profoundly. Nonetheless, he managed to keep himself from falling into a pit of irrevocable despair and found purpose as the master smith of Imladris.

Melian's Girdle

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A young child of Men befriends Sámaril, the troubled master smith of Imladris. The Noldorin craftsman experiences the joy and pain born of friendships between the Eldar and mortal Men and comes to question his people’s values as his life becomes entwined with Isildur’s youngest son and two powerful women of the Dúnedain. A sequel to The Apprentice.

Chapter 38 - The Crow's Nest:  While Elerina establishes her informal seat of power in Gaillond, thus revealing to Sámaril her former role as Isildur's queen,  the elven-smith quickly becomes bored with trade negotiations and resolution of disputes among the local nobility.  The reminders of Isildur continue to exert a negative effect on Sámaril, causing frustration between the couple.  But Sámaril also begins to dream of the Sea, which sparks a desire to take ship out on to the open waters, ostensibly to learn more about the working men of the Númenórean exiles.   He finds the ship on which he wishes to sail and meets its captain.  

Major Characters: Elendil, Elrond, Glorfindel, Original Character(s), Sauron, Valandil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Drama

Challenges: Strong Women

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Mature Themes, Sexual Content (Moderate)

Chapters: 39 Word Count: 175, 524
Posted on 12 January 2008 Updated on 15 January 2012

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

The Elendilmir begins in the year 3434 of the Second Age. While hiking in Imladris, Sámaril reflects on meeting with Elendil, Isildur and Isildur's sons and his uncanny experience when handling Narsil.

Sámaril returns to the House of Elrond with his find, lets his elvish serenity slip and berates a worried parent. This causes him to recall another bad-tempered moment in his past and a subsequent conversation with Glorfindel (Laurefin).

Sámaril takes some relaxation in the Hall of Fire and requests a song originally written by Fingon and elaborated upon by Maglor. The song sends him into recollection of a dance in Eregion.

Heads up here for mildly adult concepts and heresy pertaining to the ever popular "Laws and Customs of the Eldar."

Sámaril returns Valandil's refurbished toys to the kitchen of the House of Elrond and encounters Valandil's grandmother.

Character list provided in end notes. Many thanks to oshun, Rhapsody and Moreth for their betafying!

Sámaril is introduced to the Queen's peregrines and sets his hands and mind to something other than alloys and equations.

Thanks to Moreth, Rhapsody and oshun for their comments! Likewise, many thanks to Gandalf's Apprentice for letting me borrow her birds (see link to The Sword of Elendil in the Story Notes).

Sámaril and Thorno encounter flirtatious Laegrim ladies in the bathhouse, and Sámaril recalls the Athrabeth Huxley ah Wilberforce Mélamírë ah Manendur.

To be on the safe side, I'm rating this Adult for mild sexuality and implied bisexuality. I probably should slap a big H on it for Heresy, too. Many thanks to Rhapsody, Moreth and oshun for their lively feedback.

Sámaril celebrates the winter solstice with Queen Isilmë, and things get a bit heated with Midhloth.

Many thanks to Moreth, oshun and Rhapsody for betafication and to Jael for her compliments.

Sámaril and Elerína reach an understanding on a cold winter's afternoon.

Thanks to Rhapsody and the skinks* at The Lizard Council for betafication. List of characters provided in end notes.

*Moreth, oshun, and Jael :^)

Sámaril must deal with a terrible accident on the moor, and news arrives from Amon Sûl.

Warning to the squeamish for a gruesome scene.

Many thanks to the various reptiles of The Lizard Council for their excellent feedback. Samaril is honored that Thranduil, Galion, Magorion and their men granted their approval for a nod to their bravery at the Morannon (please see Jael's fabulous Nightfall). Thanks to Rhapsody for feedback pertaining to the hounds of Middle-earth. Our discussion was a lot of fun, and greatly inspired by her muse, Celegorm.

Much to his discomfort, Sámaril is reminded that he shares some traits with his former mentor, and Isilmë recounts the sacrifices to Melkor and their impact on her. Isilmë also points out that Sámaril does not disguise his feelings as well as he thinks he does.

As always, thanks to the skinks, geckos and other reptiles at the Lizard Council for feedback.

Sámaril receives a summons to Amon Sûl. The palantíri are not functioning, and it is hoped that he can repair them. But before he begins his journey, he delves into his memory to recall the technology applied to the crafting of the Mirror of Galadriel -- a technology that may also be featured in the palantíri.

Thanks to the skinks and such at The Lizard Council, in particular to Claudio for feedback on Quenya constructions.

Sámaril escorts Elerína to a woodland glade where they listen to Lindir's music. He remembers his visions of the very distant past and of the future when he participated in the first studies of Galadriel's Mirror. While immersing himself in Lindir's music, Sámaril then enters a meditative state in which he sees the Threads of Vairë. These trigger two visions: one wondrous and the other dark and frightening.

Thanks to the Lizard Council for the picking of juicy nits!

Sámaril and Thornangor, along with Lónando, the Dúnadan knight, and his squire, travel along the Great East Road to the tower of Amon Sûl. Although the master of the palantír has misgivings concerning Sámaril's involvement, with Queen Isilmë's endorsement, Sámaril applies the deep arts in an attempt to repair the palantíri...and receives guidance from their maker.

Thanks to Skinks Extraordinaire -- Gandalf's Apprentice, Jael, Moreth and oshun -- of The Lizard Council for critical feedback and comments.

Thornangor takes Sámaril hiking in the Weather Hills to help ease his friend's discomfort after the vision in the palantír; while exploring the slopes of Amon Sûl, Sámaril encounters the inexplicable when he steps into a small dell. When returning to Imladris, the two smiths are attacked by a hill-troll.

The smiths arrive in Imladris on Midsummer Eve. While Thornangor celebrates, Sámaril, tired from his journey, spends the evening in quiet conversation with Elerína. She tells him of her frightening but puzzling encounter with Sauron in Armenelos.

Heads up for a bit of mythological cross-over with The Ramayana.

Sámaril assists Valandil in a matter of craftsmanship and comes to a logical conclusion concerning the peacock brooch. Couriers arrive from Osgiliath, bearing news from the Alliance, and Sámaril learns of the hardships of the siege from Glorfindel's letters.

Thanks to Drummerwench for picking the nits and to Jael for allowing me to borrow Thranduil again.

Valandil rescues an injured peregrine chick and demonstrates an unexpected talent. An eagle arrives in Imladris with tidings from the siege: victory comes at a heavy price. Later, the herald of Gil-galad returns to his home.

Thanks to the Lizard Council (Claudio, Jael, Moreth & oshun) for critical feedback.

A character list is given in the End Notes; see also the appendix.

Elrond recalls the fall of Gil-galad, Elendil and Sauron as well as how the literal fall of Barad-dûr will be accomplished. Sámaril learns the fate of the One Ring and counsels Elrond on the nature of the Rings of Power: that even the Three Rings of the Elves are not altogether benign.

Thanks to The Lizard Council, notably Oshun, Jael and Moreth, for critical feedback.

Shortly after arriving in Annúminas, Sámaril explores the city of the shores of Lake Evendim. He sees that although the lives of the Middle Men of Arnor may be improved by the presence of the Númenórean exiles, they still face the consequences of mortality, just as they did many years ago in the settlements around Tharbad. It is with these consequences of mortality that Sámaril struggles as he prepares for his farewell to Isilmë.

~*~

First, thanks to The Lizard Council (Drummerwench, Oshun, Jael and Moreth in particular) for comments and feedback.

I use common Anglo-Saxon (or Celtic in some cases) names for the Middle Men with the assumption that these are translations from Westron. With regard to languages, I adhere to the Seamus Heaney approach to translation and do not hesitate to use certain words (and names) familiar to the contemporary mind, e.g., "tenement," as translations from the "original text" in my tertiary world of JRRT's secondary world.

A glossary and a short list of characters may be found in the end notes of this chapter; the longer list of characters is given in the Appendix.

Sámaril bids farewell to Isilmë and later meets the keeper of the palantír of Annúminas, a man who once worked under Annatar's guidance in Númenor.

~~~~~

Many thanks to Drummerwench, oshun, Jael and Moreth (The Lizard Council) for critique and comments.

A few characters are listed in end notes (see also Appendix). Also in the end notes is an excerpt from The Lost Road, Vol V. of The History of Middle-earth which provides context for the conversation between Sámaril and the old engineer smith.

The first year of the Third Age finds Sámaril saying farewell to Midhloth and welcoming the returning Firstborn to Imladris. Erestor brings back more materials for Sámaril's planned -- and secret -- project. Later, Glorfindel shows Sámaril what he discovered in Sauron's inner chambers of the Barad-dûr.

Thanks to The Lizard Council, specifically Drummerwench, Jael, Claudio, Moreth and oshun, for critique and comments.

When Sámaril prepares to craft a Yule gift for Valandil, the details of an essential component's design elude him. In order to clearly visualize the design, he must delve into bittersweet memory of his former mentor, Istyar Aulendil.

Thanks to the Lizard Council, specifically Aearwen, Drummerwench, IgnobleBard, Jael, Moreth and Oshun for invaluable critique and comments. Also a tip of the hat to Lintalomë who, in comments on Lethe's LiveJournal, jolted the dark muse's memory of Tinfang Warble (History of Middle-earth I, Book of Lost Tales 1).

Sámaril celebrates the feast of the winter solstice with a memorable dance and receives his gift from Valandil.

Thanks to the variegated skinks of The Lizard Council for nitpicking, comments and all 'round good skinkiness.

Tension mounts in Imladris when Isildur and his elite Guard do not arrive in the autumn of the second year of the Third Age. Valandil has his worst nightmare yet at this time, causing Elrond and Sámaril to wonder if this is an echo of the drowning of Númenor. This leads them to discuss Valandil's sensitivities. Elerína's anxiety for her husband increases. The following spring, three soldiers of the King's Guard stagger into the valley.

Many thanks to picking of the nits by The Lizard Council. (Jael, Aearwen, Drummerwench, elfscribe, Moreth).

The reader's familiarity with "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields," Unfinished Tales, J.R.R. Tolkien is assumed.

When Sámaril is summoned to the Council of Elrond, he discovers why the succession of Valandil to the throne of High King of Gondor and Arnor is in question. After agreements are reached, Valandil utters a prophecy concerning broken Narsil, and Sámaril later overhears a heated conversation between Elerína and her sister-by-marriage, Lindissë -- Anárion's widow and Meneldil's mother.

~*~

Many thanks to Jael, Aearwen, Moreth, and Drummerwench of The Lizard Council for comments and nitpicking of the draft.

If it wasn’t clear from any of the preceding 24 chapters that The Elendilmir represents an alternate history of Middle-earth, it should be apparent in this one. A significant fly in the heirs of Elros’ ointment was spawned via the often heretical elements that comprise the overlap of Venn diagrams of Surgical Steel’s interpretations of Middle-earth and my own. Thus I owe Steel a debt of gratitude for graciously allowing me to borrow her characters and concepts. I have linked the Steel's stories that are specific to this chapter in End Notes. You may also find her work here on the SWG, at her LJ repository -- surgsteelfic and on The Last Ship archive. I highly recommended her work. The saga of the surgeon, Serindë, is a compelling one and represents one of the best OFCs crafted.

A genealogical chart of Númenóreans pertinent to the Pandë!- and Steel!verses is included in End Notes.

With The Elendilmir rated as Adult, this may be superfluous, but here's a warning for strong language nonetheless.

After a terse farewell to Elerína, Sámaril departs abruptly from Imladris in the company of a healer, Brethilion. They arrive at Casarrondo (later known as Moria) to exchange their skills for mithril and gems from the Dwarves. On the way to an audience with Durin the Fourth, Sámaril sees a mural hidden in the shadows and recalls an unusual observation made by Istyar Aulendil.

Thanks to the Lizard Council for pre-reads, to Darth Fingon for post-publication edits and to Surgical Steel for suggestions concerning the elven-healer. See end notes.

In order to obtain a diamond and mithril from the Longbeards, Sámaril agrees to teach the Dwarves an unusual art that will allow them to extend their gold stores for trade, and Láki introduces Sámaril to a form of Dwarven relaxation.

Thanks to the Lizard Council for encouragement and feedback. Please see End Notes for glossary, background on Sámaril's art and more acknowledgments.

Sámaril prepares to journey with Láki to the northern mines to search for mithril but encounters Brethilion, distressed because he has been called upon to treat an important Dwarf-woman and her child. Sámaril and Láki descend into the roots of the mountain where an increasing sense of dread and disturbing dreams of shadow and flame afflict Sámaril.

Heads up for some medical stuff in the first part of this chapter (and thanks to Surgical Steel for helping out Brethilion's craft as well as a pre-read). Although he does not describe it in graphic detail, Brethilion mentions a grisly obstetrical procedure that was used in non-progressing labor before the advent of forceps for delivery; this might be disturbing for some readers. Other than that, this chapter is rated PG to PG-13. Many thanks for the Lizard Council for comments and nitpicking.

For saving Durin IV's heir and his mother (Durin's granddaughter), Brethilion is awarded with unusual gifts. With their departure from Khazad-dûm imminent, Sámaril and Brethilion are the guests of honor at a celebration in Láki's mansion where Sámaril is faced with peculiar Dwarven cuisine, finds himself the object of attraction by a Dwarven-lady and then plays matchmaker.

Many thanks and bows of "at your service" to the Lizard Council -- Jael, sanna, Aeärwen, Surgical Steel, Raksha, klose, Drummerwench, Russandol and Darth Fingon. Special thanks to Darth for linguistic assistance. See end notes for that.

Some mild sexuality in this chapter: soft R-rated at the most.

Sámaril returns to Imladris where he is met with a cool reception from Elerína and admonishment from Elrond who has deduced that Sámaril, however well-intentioned, has exposed young Valandil to the perilous deep arts. Sámaril’s evident distress resulting from these events prompts Laurefin to suggest star-gazing out on the moor where they have a frank conversation.

Thanks to all my reptilian pals on the Lizard Council: Steel for a pre-read, Raksha and Drummerwench for suggestions of where to prune a bit, Russandol for catching nits, sanna, Jael, Oshun, and Aeärwen for comments, and Darth for under-the-radar philosophical natterings about the mores of the Calaquendi and the Moriquendi. There's also a little nod to one of Rhapsody's ficlets -- Prince of Hearts -- in there, too.

Sámaril finds Elerína waiting for him at the rock where he heard Valandil cry out from the river twelve years before. There, guided by his heart, he makes a decision that will forever affect him.

This chapter is a solid R-rating for sexual content, more than "moderate" but not graphic either; just obvious as to what is occurring.

Thanks to Lizards Surgical Steel, Erulissë, Jael, Aeärwen, Drummerwench and Russandol for comments, nit-picking and otherwise holding my hand.

When Elerína and Sámaril tell Valandil of their love for one another, Valandil does not receive the revelation well.  However, when Sámaril enlists Valandil's assistance in crafting a gift symbolic of the elven smith's love for Elerína, Valandil appears to be brought round to accepting his mother and Sámaril's life together.

Thanks to Lizards Russandol, Surgical Steel, Scarlet10, Sanna, Aeärwen, KyMahalei, Moreth, Oshun, Lilith, Elfscribe, Raksha, Drummerwench & Darth Fingon for comments, lively discussion and valuable critique.

Stymied for inspiration and spurned by the diamond to be set in the new Elendilmir, Sámaril agrees to accompany Elerína to the sea so that he may learn more of the Númenórean exiles..  On the way, they visit Elerína's eccentric cousin, Apairivo, a lord of the province of Cardolan, who has a fondness for wine, whisky and a special kind of rope.

Thanks to the skinks, geckos and chameleons of the Lizard Council for their most excellent feedback and encouragement.  Special thanks to Darth for name-wrangling.

Sámaril accompanies Apairivo on his inspections of his tenants' crofts.  He discovers that Apairivo has a peculiar avocation, one that reminds Sámaril of Valandil's gifts. They enjoy the hospitality of the farmer and his wife, but when Sámaril lets down his guard, thanks to drinking a couple of generous flagons of hard cider, Apairivo asks a very direct question about an indelicate subject.

 

 

Acknowledgements:

Thanks to my fellow Lizards -- Oshun, Raksha, KyMahalei, Erulissë, and Surgical Steel (an extra nod here for Steel's generosity for sharing her toys with me in the Tolkienian sandbox) for comments and feedback, and especially to Jael for assistance on matters equine.

After Sámaril and Apairivo arrive at Farmer Butterbur's croft, Sámaril is called upon to assist Apairivo with delivery of a calf and discovers one of the ways that Apairivo uses his gift of rope from Gil-Galad.  Once again, Sámaril enjoys the hospitality of mortal Middle Men and drinks and dances with Butterbur's household. However, on the way back to the manor, Sámaril unintentionally reveals something of his past that causes Apairivo concern.  This is further exacerbated when Apairivo mentions an observation made by Carnhul, his horse, and later confirmed by the sleepy Elerína.

 

 

Acknowledgements:

Many thanks to Lizards Elfscribe, KyMahalei, Erulissë, Randy_O, Drummerwench, Aeärwen, Jael, Russandol, sanna, Gandalf's Apprentice, and Surgical Steel for comments and critical feedback on this and the previous chapter.

On their way to the sea, Sámaril and Elerína travel down the Baranduin on The Otter's Tale, a traders' keelboat, manned by a motley crew of Middle Men, including the superstitious but well-meaning Captain Rinan.  Elerína makes an offering to the River-mother, but will it deflect the threat of the Elder King's fierce storm that bears down upon them?

 

Acknowledgements:

Thanks to Surgical Steel for the nattering that led to the term "the Wind-lord's finger" and to Lizards Darth Fingon, Aeärwen, KyMahalei, Oshun, Elfscribe, Erulissë, and Russandol for picking nits and comments.  Deep-fried cockroaches with tartar sauce for all!  And an extra serving for post-publication nit-picking from Drummerwench!

Please see end notes for more acknowledgments.

Captain Rinan and the crew of The Otter's Tale deliver Elerína, Sámaril and Sigilros to the haven of Gaillond, a seaside town near the mouth of the Baranduin.  There the port reeve and others welcome Elerína, the widow of a king and the mother of the king-to-be.  Limaerel, the housekeeper, shows Sámaril and Sigilros the villa built by Tar-Aldarion, but personalized by Isildur.  Sámaril finds that the many reminders of Isildur have an undesirable effect.

Rated R for sexual content.

 

 

Acknowledgements and such: Thanks to Darth for much under-the-radar nattering and generously allowing me to reference his canon (the black lobsters). Same to Surgical Steel. I give a quick nod to her Zâmin, the noblewoman of Umbar, who was Isildur's first love.

Gaillond is, of course, non-canonical (*faints from the shock*) but to me, a logical extrapolation: one would think that a port town might exist near the mouth of the Baranduin, which may have served as the waterway to Annúminas.  Gaillond bears reference to the Gloucester of New England and Wales. From Wikipedia: "In Old Welsh, the city was known as Caerloyw, caer = castle, and loyw from gloyw = glowing/bright." 

I also invoke the right of "translator" for the blatant use of Latin. Surely there were words in Quenya for the equivalent of a frigidarium and caldarium. I just don't know what they are, and Sámaril and his former mentor are of no help at all..

Uin the Great Whale may be found in The History of Middle-earth, Vol I, The Book of Lost Tales I.

Many thanks to the Lizards for the pickin' o' the nits.

Because it has been a while since I updated (almost a year), I'll recap briefly: 

Sámaril (Ringmaker and Annatar's former apprentice, now master of the forge of Rivendell) and Elerína (Isildur's widow and now Sámaril's lover) and have arrived in Gaillond, intending to spend the summer there. The jewel that Sámaril has obtained from the Dwarves, and will use for the new Elendilmir, resists his attempts to apply the deep arts to it. Elerína believes this is because Sámaril needs to learn more of the Sea and the descendants of the Númenóreans who live and die by it. Hence, they arrive Gaillond, a port town northwest of the mouth of the Baranduin River. This chapter picks up about three weeks or so after their arrival.

Thanks muchly to the Lizard Council for their grooming and suggestions for the motifs on the ships' colors.  Darth Fingon's name generator came in handy, too.

 

 

Although I have noted characters in the End Notes of chapters, a more or less comprehensive list is provided here.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I have been chomping at the bit to read this since you first posted it a week ago, but, alas, crashing websites and an imminent holiday (rife with preparations) have bested me! But I was not disappointed. I'm so eager to see where you go with this. Since you don't post at the Pit of Voles, then I'll give you your first bona fide Pit-of-Volesesque review:

omg plz rite mrre!11!1!! ;)

It's great to be back with Samaril, like meeting up with an old friend. And as usual, your vision of Middle-earth is original and intriguing.

Dinner is being set on the table, so I have to keep this short, but I look forward to more!

Squee! OMG! TYVM! :D 

Re: Pit o' Voles.  Heh.  It's just as well that I don't post there since my sufferance-of-fools threshold is appallingly low, and I'd likely go Bushwell (*WEG*) on the chittering critters.  That wouldn't be pretty and would likely result in my getting kicked off the site.  Better to keep me chained up in here where I can't hurt anyone. :^D

I just couldn't let Sámaril go.  I have 5 more chapters in various stages of wordsmithing and currently am wrestling with chapter 7 so stay tuned!  And yes, my Arda-askew vision is contained therein. :^)

Another great chapter. I love the way you build your characters and your story, but especially I love the creative use of canon. Like following the slow revelation, for those of us who remember them, of the old Sámaril hidden within the current one. The rescue of the child and the suppressed emotions that it brings up are well handled. I also very much like the interaction of Sámaril and Glorfindel. It is an interesting backstory that you have given Glorfindel. It fits well within the canon. Nice cursing too: “Manwë’s holy rod!” I also appreciate a good curse in real life and so it is a struggle for me, but absolutely necessary, to invent them for my stories that fit with tone and vocabulary I am using.

I like Thorno as a character. I am very familiar with his ability to look back on truly awful things and laugh. (I’ve probably mentioned that this something that is always done in my family. Even my sainted mother can tell me truly tragic updates on my family and make me laugh until I cry. I think it is the only way to deal with life.)

Am I missing something (or did I forget something?)…need to read the upcoming chapters. Did you tell us why Elrond really kept him back? Was he really that needed in Imladris? Or did Elrond/Gil-galad have other reasons from preventing him from going? I can think of lots of good reasons why that would not be good for him to participate in the move against Sauron. Not the least of which would be the level to which he clearly personalizes it and the dangers of that subjectivity. (I know. My mind is a little vague today.)

Thanks a million for the detailed review and for the kind words!

Re: cursing -   I recently read a fascinating *science-based* article about cursing and how cross-cultural it is, i.e., part of human behavior.  I'll leave the details of that to Doc Bushwell's blog. Anyway, as you know, my vision of the Firstborn sees them as "human plus" so they will have behavioral traits - including aggression to which swearing is linked - in common with their mortal brethren.

Thorno's growing on me, too, so much that I may bring him into another under-the-radar fic.  He's a very intelligent fellow, almost as talented as Sámaril, but more even tempered and with a brighter outlook.  Glad you liked Glorfindel and Sámaril's interactions, too.  There are many wonderful portrayals of Glorfindel out there (he may be a minor character in the LotR, but we Silm people know he's one major dude) so I can only hope to do the guy justice, even if he's a minor but recurring character in The Elendilmir.

Nope, you're not missing anything.  Elrond didn't elaborate on why he ordered Sámaril to remain. Glorfindel made the comment they (the Noldo) can't afford to lose Sámaril's extensive knowledge and inherent skills. The ability to use the "deep arts" is a rare one, and Sámaril is very capable with these; Sauron even acknowledges this in Ch. 11 of The Apprentice.  So, Elrond and Gil-galad don't want to run the risk of him being killed in the coming war (there's something coming up that will elaborate on this risk).  And you're exactly right - the personal betrayal by Aulendil might very well cause Sámaril to do something rash. Glorfindel would likely be well aware of that, having witnessed Sámaril's foolish - and potentially fatal - attempt to retrieve his works from the House of the Mírdain even after Sauron had invaded the city and made his way to the smithies and treasury (Ch. 12 in The Apprentice).

Thanks and thanks again! :^) 

What is not to love about this chapter? You give the reader vintage/classic Sámaril and throw in a bit of a thumb of the nose at the Laws and Customs among the Eldar and just a touch of Valar bashing and you have my love forever. I remember you telling me it had a little of my canon in it. I love the way you use it to make your point. (And the chapter name: “The Matter of Song,” nice title. I am still thinking of these by numbers, I’ll have to pay attention to the names you are giving them.) I am particularly smitten with Sámaril’s old friend, Mélamírë. She is just so likeable and strong, believably drawn and I love the touch of depicting the picture of a woman immersed in a man’s world (without doing the fanfic thing of giving her a sword). The perfect kind of person to be briefing Sámaril about those neglected areas of his education. I have still been following those darned MEFA debriefings and revisions of categories (oh, my!). So, in light of that, this tale could be categorized as multi-age, first-age, and second-age. Nice work. Take the best of canon and use it ALL.

Thanks a million for reading this and following Sármaril's story, oshun!  To reiterate, if I can entertain even one reader, then I figure that's an accomplishment!

I'm glad that you not only like Sámaril, but also Mélamírë.  I realize I tread a risky path with any OC, but an OFC in particular seems to draw fangs - well, at least at other web sites.  The SWG is a far more accepting place (THANK YOU, Dawn!).  Elements of her personallity have come from three (female) friends: an astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian observatory, the director of computational chemistry at my former employer, and a young woman who is an attorney for Boeing. Mélamírë will pop up retrospectively here and there to keep Sámaril thinking.

"Take the best of canon and use it ALL."

My interpretation of what constitutes canon is extremely broad - not only includes HoME but also Tolkien's Letters!   I have an idea for a forthcoming chapter which most certainly spans the ages, and one of my first thoughts was "Oh, this will entertain oshun!"

I'm loving this one! That Narsil allowed a link through space/time sent shivers down my spine... And yes, I want to see more of Mélamírë. She is so brilliantly irreverant about tradition.

Sámaril has quite a temper there doesn't he? I can't help but feel sorry for his poor apprentice!

The paragraphs decribing the music (and it's effect on Sam) I really like. Nice relocation from Ost-in-Edhil to The House of Elrond.

Thanks so much!  Samaril's kind of temperamental "artist"/primadonna.  In the pandemoniverse, there's a cultural expectation for the vaunted Noldor to be "in control" and "serene"  which combined with their inherent argumentative temperament (according to JRRT) makes for a stew of conflict.  :^D  Mélamírë will continue pop up here and there.  As the lone woman of the Mirdain who is a senior engineer smith (and resident skeptic), she has a predilection for tweaking the status quo. :^)

What a brilliant read, this chapter you showed the inner struggle of Sámaril so well: he tries to keep lil' Val at bay. But as Isilmë noticed: the young lad decided that Sálamaril needs some fixing, whether that hapens unknowingly or not. I loved the small touches on the War in the East when Valandil asks Sámaril to fix the toys:

“Yes, I can fix this for you, but it will take me a day or so. Will that do?”

He nodded. “Yes, my soldiers can wait for it.”

“Ah! So you need it to carry your soldiers?”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, carved figure that he placed in my hand. “Yes. Here is one. But he is getting old. Maybe he is tired of war.”

This bit to me is a beautiful allusion to what happens at the front line and at the same time shows the child's perceptiveness. Isilmë is drawn beautifully, despite her bitterness that most Dúnedain women live in the shadows of their man, she at the same time shows her fine quality and as to why she is strengthening her husband. And yay, birds of prey! :)

I think that if you ever want to add a by-line to this chapter, I would say: Athrabeth Sámaril ah Isilmë. The reason why I immediately thought of this was because Finrod and Andreth nearly debate, compare and their questions about their iown kindreds and background. Death, loyalty, differences between kindreds, death that sunders them.. all come back in this chapter, both being wise in their own way.

The beautiful background of the peregrine's was such a treat and felt naturally here (for those not familair with GA's stories, I surely love that concept). If you have time, I am curious as to the why here the spaniels have replaced the hounds of Valinor (or was that Celegorm insisting that I'd asked... hmm).

Again, this was a beautiful chapter, word for word, scene by scene and chapter by chapter, Sámaril's defenses are peeled away and a bit of me is afraid what will happen when he truly comes undone when he is faced with the event of loosing one of those mortals he holds so dear. Yes, I really love your Sámaril: within this story you explore him so immensely well. Great writing! 

Thank you so much for the comments here and for Ch. 4.  They came at an opportune time since for some reason, I recently dipped into a creative slump.  I guess that happens to everyone.

I'm immensely flattered by your connection of Isilmë and Sámaril's conversation to the dialogue of Andreth and Finrod.  In my 'verse, the Firstborn are decidedly human, but immortality (indefinite longevity) represents the Great Divide between Elves and Men.  So Sámaril is taking a risk, and a big one, with his involvement with mortals.  Still, there's a connection there he can't shake.  I'm really glad you like him.  And Isilmë?  That woman is already causing a gazillion amorphous plot bunnies to spawn!  These OCs can be dicey. 

Re: the spaniels.  They haven't replaced the imposing hounds of Valinor.  The spaniels are the "bird dogs" of Imladris' hunters in my 'verse.  I imagine them to be very much like Irish water spaniels and used for hunting duck and grouse on the high moor.  I see the "hounds of Valinor" as a breed like the Irish wolfhound - big and majestic - and used as hunters of stag, boar and werewolves.  Please tell your always luscious and insistent Celegorm that he and his hounds get a little nod in an upcoming chapter of The Elendilmir and that a couple of descendants of Huan (already have their names - "Huan" and "Thû" - heh) might just make an appearance in another novella, rough chunks of which are lazing around in iBook Angband. :^)   

Thanks again for the comments and complements - they are very much appreciated!

I am so very behind on commenting on these chapters! I'm going back. But want to post just a quickie here. Either tiny edits made this chapter much stronger or I am simply more receptive than usual today. It is just packed full of interesting interactions and really poignant psychological reflection. I have to say again, this is an excellent, outstanding addition to this period of Tolkien's history. I love the women, of course, and am still completely smitten with your strong, but fragile, complex, not-quite-hero.

Love the falcons and reference to their predecessors--throwing in a nice bit of magic into a story to manage to make feel very realistic. The line about him having lived so many years and not having touched one was fascinating to me. Primarily because it made me think about what an imaginative leap is required on the part of the writer to try to envision how the world would look from the point of view of a semi-immortal being: how much would remain new and different and how much has been seen or experienced before. I think you bridge that gap nicely by handling the emotional side of the main character so well. If one is living, then one is changing, and, therefore, there will always be something new or an old experience newly encountered will take on whole different layers of significance.

Samaril's interaction with the boy Val is so heart-tugging without ever coming close to shading into the sentimental. I am also looking forward to reading more about the younger queen again soon. The characters really live for me. You have quite captured me in their world.

Promise to send remarks on Chapter 8 later today, hopefully not too little or late to be of any use.

Great work. I cannot recommend this story highly enough.

I haven't said enough how much I love this! I'm so pleased to see the latest chapter here.

On (this) re-read, the line I keep thinking about is:

"Onto my right forefinger one of her teardrops fell, an ephemeral jewel that mingled with the salt of my blood."

A very emotive image.

(Happy to be a skink!)

This is a great story. The more I read of it, the more I realize it has everything I love: plot, characterization, history, imagination, canon, you name it. I adore the two queens. These two are fascinating. Little-by-little you give the reader more glimpses into who they are and what has driven them. I am not as hung up on searching for the perfect story characterizing strong women as many people express that they are—I’ve know a lot of strong women in my life. But You do an extremely satisfying job of giving us women with brains and backbone here. I believe them. They absolutely ring true for me, Yet I’m also looking for a good man, i.e., complex, conflicted, and loveable, and we surely are given that in spades with SSámaril.

It just kills me when you introduce Sámaril’s flashbacks to the one he refers to as his former mentor. Regret is something one must learn to live with as one gets older, and hindsight is so cheap. The question is what will he do with it? And you always give me teasing glimpses that hint to me that, whatever it is, it is going to be interesting. I particularly liked this chapter because he and Elerína have finally have a breakthrough. The mitigation of the worst of the strain between them makes me want to keep reading. Unrelieved angst in a story and continuing inability to communicate eventually just gets dull. Makes me want to say to the character—get over yourself already. You avoid that trap entirely in this story. You draw the reader in and make us care, you make them suffer, add suspense, but don’t just leave us there.

Another thing that I think I mentioned in another place when reading an earlier draft of this story is that I am interested in where you are going with sexual tension. (No I am not obsessed with sex, but I do suspect that you are not just titillating us that this will have a point in the story.) Well, enough of me and what I like. My point is that this is great reading. I am so hooked and looking forward to the continuation.

Thank you so much, oshun.  I'm honored by your compliments and that you like the story and in particular, the characters.  I realize I take a big risk with my focus on OCs, so I feel like I should strive to offer the reader characters that are multidimensional and connect to the Middle-earth milieu.

In keeping with what JRRT wrote about "elvish nature," Sámaril is prone to regret yet he also continues to have ambivalent feelings regarding his former mentor as well as the skills and knowledge he gained from Aulendil.   Likewise, I'm not keen on unrelieved angst or sexual tension.  

Again, thanks.  I'm delighted that this story has captured your interest and that I have such a discerning reader in you! 

 

Fabulous, simply fabulous. So much is happening in this chapter, yet it's full of such delightful details which colour both scenes so immensely well.

What is so palpable here is how the grief of the deaths sink in: important people ripped away, empty seats and empty stables. Tears, the chills, a big lump in my throat as Sámaril just sits there. Just with the previous chapter, but wonderful queens just jump off the paper: witty, intelligent, collected and also vulnerable. And yeah, Galfaron just feels that he's been under Celegorm's tutelage ;) This is such a marvellous story, and I am looking forward to see how this will continue. I mean I can't help but to wonder what Isilmë exactly saw as Sámaril stood there. *thumbs up*

Thank you so much, Rhapsy!  Although the queens and Sámaril are well-removed from "the front," it still affects them in a big way. 

I'm glad that Galfaron resonated with your muse.  These OCs crop up and I start thinking about their backstories.  Thus I'm tempted to come up with a fic about Galfaron's hunting experiences with Celegorm! :^)

In the next chapter, Isilmë will elaborate on what she saw. Stay tuned!

Thanks again for you compliments and for your loyal readership! :^)

Definitely another fascinating chapter. Lots of further detail which reinforces of the character development and firmly anchoring the story in the time and setting you have chosen. The whole bit about the horse and the reaction of Isilme and Samaril to it is compelling reading, coupling that with the news from the front really keeps the reader engaged with the story. You really make the story and these characters come to life.

Oh my goodness, I have shivers running down my spine at the moment. Being a kinda Numenorean story fan and ventured into that area long long long ago (not in a galaxy far far away), the way you describe the accelaration in the downfall of Numenor is chilling, yet so effectively done. You don't use to many words to picture these tragic events and leave it up to the reader to create their own image (although of course, you know me, I do want to know what happened exactly to Isilmës brother). You achieve two things here: you give the reader enough room to fill in some gaps themselves and for some they will most likely applaud for more (well I would). Now as for Valandil's violent dream: did that poor tyke get a foreshadowing of his father's and brother's fate? Poor thing! Yes, I do know that those of the Numenorean line have 'The Sight', yet I just so feel for him.

I wonder an worry all the same on what fine line Samaril is balancing in many area's: forbidden love, the imprints of his master, how far he dares to take his craft knowing this and how this influences him outside his workplace. So many ponderings and so much more to look forward to! Court politics as a kinda icing on the cake.

 Okay this is enough rambling on my behalf! (I do look forward to the next chapter(s).)

I'm pleased that Isilmë's abbreviated account of the downfall resonated with you!  I intend (or at least hope to!) to explore this more extensively in future stories.  Isilmë's narrative here amounts to an outline of what I hope will be a much more detailed description of her experience including the death of her brother (Lord Vórondil's father). I also have a (very) rough draft of a story that addresses the first human sacrifice from Sauron's PoV. 

Yes, indeed, Valandil's dream foreshadows the disaster of the Gladden Fields.

Re: court politics - I decided to take Isilmé back to Annúminas to give myself an opening for future fics about her and how she might deal with machinations in the court. 

Thanks so much for the comments, Rhapsy!  Your loyal readership ensures there will be future chapters! :^) 

Hmmm, I can't help to think that the mirror functions as the end of a optical cable/network, that would be indeed a nice curwe discovery. It was such a pleasure to see Mélamírë back and poor Valandil, no longer remembering how his dad looks like. I just love the thought of Thorno and Sam going on a road trip, and for an important mission as well: finding out what is wrong with the palantir (which at itself spawned some bunnies). Thoughtprovoking and a pleasant read as ever, I am looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks so much, Rhapsody!  The technology behind the Mirror is pretty exotic, so much so that I have no clear idea of what the Istyanis did, but it might have something to do with quantum physics and string theory although she wouldn't know those terms. ;^)  We'll see a little more in the enxt chapter and the one after that (in progress) is the Road Trip!  Glad you enjoyed this.  I'm having fun writing it, too, which, of course, is the point.

Oh, this re-read offers me with so many more impressions. Yet again, am so excited in how you show us, the reader, the music and the threads in time. It leaves me pondering that indeed men and hobbit have a latent gift to see these threads, although they cannot place it. Yet I cannot help to wonder that those who can interpretet these viewings must be well trained or have a gift for it. Would there be a difference between Silvan and Noldo elves for example, or between those who did journey and those who did not wanted to travel or lingered?

Secondly, this time it jumped more at me. The three men and women who came with Oromë, is it possible you hinted them to be Maiar? Or am I reading too much into this.

What I really loved (besides what I already mentioned to you :c) ), is the moment between , Sámaril and Elerína, her comment:

 “Let me believe it is magic.”

It just touch me because with all the science and rational explanations in the world, sometimes it is just as blissfull that for a moment people can believe or enjoy that touch of magic. I have so much more to note, but let's quit while I am still ahead ;)

Thanks so much for the comments, Rhapsy!

It leaves me pondering that indeed men and hobbit have a latent gift to see these threads, although they cannot place it.

Indeed they do!  I did have Frodo's experience with the Mirror in the back of my mind here. 

Yet I cannot help to wonder that those who can interpretet these viewings must be well trained or have a gift for it. 

In my 'verse, the ability is inherent (a gift for it). Among the elves, it is distributed among their populations, just like a trait would be in our own mortal populations.  The trait expresses itself strongly in some, weaker in others, or barely at all in many.  In the latter, some training might enhance it. 

is it possible you hinted them to be Maiar? Or am I reading too much into this.

Nope.  You're not reading too much into that.  Stay tuned! :^)

sometimes it is just as blissfull that for a moment people can believe or enjoy that touch of magic.

Yep!  Even I do that! :^)  

Thanks again!  It's such a delight to have readers like you!  Keeps me going... 

 

 

This is just another great chapter chock full of goodies. Love the interaction between the Dúnadan Lónando and Thorno. (Thorno has always been a great character, but now is developing into a truly memorable one who will live far beyond this story for me. I just knew what would happen when Sámaril told Thorno about Lónando "embarrassed admiration"-with Thorno's irrepressibility? Nothing else was possible. What did I say at Lizard Council: something to the effect that Sámaril's testiness with Thorno was too funny for words, the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do school of advice giving. It only makes me love Sámaril even more; he is just so human. And I was delighted that Thorno called him on it. That description of Thorno skinny-dipping, however, was worth the whole chapter-I am shameless: "He stretched like a cat, flexing supple muscles, and then walked to the edge of the rock.  He gathered himself then sprang into the air, his body tracing a swift and graceful arc. He cut the water with the slightest of splashes.  Lónando sucked in his breath. ‘He is so beautiful.' " Really good physical description of Sámaril also. I think that is canon for the Noldor, isn't it? Not going to look it up, but that somehow stuck in my mind from somewhere. His memory of his mother talking about his father and "the girth of Tulkas," I saw that coming, but it didn't make it a bit less entertaining. Glad you didn't just tease poor Lónando and leave him miserable. Better to have tried, than always wondered, I say. (TMI here-maybe why my personal life has gone the way it has!)

Of course, the big thrill in this chapter for me was meeting Feanor (swoon). I definitely have a Feanor thing. He's what drew me to Silm canon in the first place. You got him just right for the period in his life when Sámaril encounters him. (I am such a sucker for any kind of time travel. Seeing into the past is so exciting.) Sámaril's look at how Sauron has changed was devastating too-it gives a reader further insight into how those who admired had known him once. Much more interesting story than if he had been evil and ugly through and through, or, as I have seen him portrayed in some pieces, so cold as to make you wonder how anyone would be fooled. The science stuff around the repair of the palantír was amazing and so much fun to read. Also loved the part about the attitude of the Queen's expert toward Sámaril when he arrived.

All and all just a very satisfying chapter in a compelling story.

Thanks a million for the comments, oshun!  I'm flattered that Thornangor is becoming a memorable one for you.  He may not be in the same rank as the (in)famous Neldor, but I'd like to think that as an OMC, Thorno has his own distinctions!   I'm relieved that my attempts to convey Sámaril & Thorno's flaws are working, too.  I figure the Elves' view of themselves within their cultures and how they interact with one another will not be the same as the perspective of say, a hobbit who tends to idealize the Firstborn a bit, er, a lot.

Although I think it's reasonable to presume there will be variation in height and overall build, yes, the Noldor were tall as a whole.  In "Númenórean Linear Measures" (Appendix of "Disaster of the Gladden Fields" in Unfinished Tales), JRRT wrote "The Eldar of the Elder Days were also very tall. Galadriel, 'the tallest of all the women of the Eldar of whom tales tell', was said to be man-high, but it is noted 'according to the measure of the Dúnedain and the men of old', indicating a height of about six feet four inches."  I tend to think that Sámaril & Thorno have physiques similar to competitve class rowers :^) with Thorno being the more gracile of the two.

Fëanor was (and remains) hands down my first love when I read The Silmarillion for the first time many years ago.  He was such a thrilling, brilliant and flawed character -- so refreshing after the rather stuffy, pompous or overly merry elves of the LotR and The Hobbit. I'm so relieved that interpretation of my favorite long-suffering scientist-hero worked for you!  I was pretty skittish given that Fëanor has been written so well by others here on the SWG, present company included.  You probably recognize that image of Sauron from my fell beast draft!  

Thanks so much for reading and for everything else!

 

Oh! What an end...poor Isilmë, that's not the news she would be expecting. This is such a great chapter where from smiles and giggles, to an intriguing communication in the past, we end with such bad news. It reads very smoothly. Oh gosh, the horror of that Dunadan when he thinks he might have offended Sámaril. Elvish beguilement indeed (both are gorgeous elves!) and beautiful touches upon cultural differences, even between the men divisions. I really liked that and what a great idea to tackle bunnies like that ;) j/k

However, I loved how you brought back the decisions and well concequences of Sámaril's past. Even though one should not judge a person simply because of a past mentor, its in a way understandable if loathing and fear of the actions of that person runs deep. But to assume that pupils would be corrupted as well, that would still be a big struggle and prejudice Sámaril has to overcome. I am glad though that he feels more at ease with his past won skills (like the deeper arts), in that sense he has grown on that level as well. So great character development stuff! 

Ah and what to say about Fëanor? I really like the way how Sámaril combines the threads to repair the palantir, its immensely creative and it is so great to see Fëanor himself taking heed of scientific ethics in this case. Even though I am not sure how phonons work, I'll take your word on it. The way you wove such beautiful science in the chapter made sense to me (not such a beta person). I think I got the idea how this device works quite well! Again my compliments for that!

Before I will end this long (& excited) ramble: the view of Sauron and Sámaril's reaction to it gave me the shivers. There is so much more, ok just one then: I loved the portrayal of Isilmë being in charge of the dinner/meeting with the crescent moon, I simply love details like this!

Thanks a million, Rhapsy, for the comments and compliments! 

Yes, Sámaril's talents and his relationship with his past mentor cause him a great deal of introspection, in part because he knows that there are always two sides of the coin when it comes to technology the deep arts: the capacity of useful, even sublime, creation and for destruction. 

To echo what I said the oshun, I'm relieved that the scene with Fëanor worked for you!  He's my first love of The Silmarillion. On phonons and such, well, that's just jargon for the "scientifiction" as Tolkien called it that infects my writing.  Phonons delve into quantum mechanics (not my bailiwick) and the mathematics behind it, well...Fëanor could probably derive the equations necessary.  Based on this chapter alone, I should probably tack on the "science fiction" label available in the SWG drop down menu!  But I figure that the Mirror and the Palantíri's "magic" (Tolkien's word for extremely advanced technology and his wizard wand waving) may have its basis in solid state physics.  The Threads?  That's an allusion to string theory, a favorite device of sci-fi writers!  But again, I don't want to get too "sciencey" and risk Elerína's admonishment. :^)

Oooh, and I'm glad you liked that imagery with Isilmë!  Yes, that was quite deliberate.

Thanks again, Rhapsy!   

[It will be a bit before the next chapter goes up although it's written in very rough draft form; femslash and fell beasts (two separate stories!) have distracted me.]

Yey, Sam's back! Still as workaholic and as succinct as ever I see (but for different reasons), maybe that's why I liked him a lot--he's so like me (workaholic and a bit grumpy at times). 

I could see how much his guilt and regret is gnawing at him but I'm also intrigued on what part he still has to play in ME that makes him stay, other than revenge. Loved the Feanorian cameo, though I suppose you're almost tired of hearing that from me by now.

I like the way you fleshed out Elendil and Isildur--they're among the Silmarillion characters I would have wanted to see more of but since there are so many of them, they end up in the sidelines. 

Sorry I couldn't provide any competent review about the technicalities of writing since I'm hardly equipped in that area.  All I could ever write about is what I liked about the story.  

Felt sorry for Samaril in that scene with the young Queen and her son--it's like he's suddenly facing what he has been trying hard to forget for so long. 

The part where Thorno reminisced about Aulendil was very touching but I found myself smiling at the line: "Who knows? Maybe he tells your joke to his orc-captains? I wouldn't put it past him."

Hi, whitewave!  Oh, I'm glad you're reading this!  Thanks so much for the comments!

Heh.  Yeah, Sámaril appreciates mortal women.  I think he took his teacher's words ("You're the same damn species!") to heart.  

Canon events and canon characters are important components of The Elendilmir, but it is OC driven, mostly as a challenge to myself to see if I can engage readers in what is a borderline (non-copyrightable) o-fic in a recognizably Middle-earth setting. Although Elendil and Isildur's wives had to exist, JRRT said little to nothing about them so Isilmë and Elerína amount to OFCs. The Noldorin smith Mélamírë is entirely invented in response to some comments about men and women's vocations in Laws and Customs of the Eldar.  You might think of her as an echo/mirror of Nerdanel in Middle-earth.Hers is a secondary story of The Elendilmir, but I intend to give her a novel of her own in the future.  OFCs have a bad rep in Tolkien fan fic but I don't think you'll find these women to be Mary Sues.

I'm hoping you'll like Thorno, too. :^)

p.s. Read your latest installment, and I was just dying.  Many LOL moments.  I'll get some words up there. 

First of all I must warn you that I have the tendency to lapse into raving fangirl mode every so often, especially now that I have figured out my "living" equivalent of Samaril:  Hugh Jackman! It's really more for me because it makes it easier for me to visualize him.  As for Elerrina, I  think a brunette and maybe a bit more mature Scarlett Johanssen (or maybe Rachel Weisz) is how I see her. I'm enjoying the sweetness of Sam's interaction with Val and I'm glad he's starting to relax a little again.

And I still haven't thanked you properly for including Laurefin (my third favorite blond after Tyelkormo and Finrod) so here goes:  / Squee! /

Whenever I read a chapter of your stories, I always enjoy the details you give us, but I find it a bit distracting too because I get torn between enjoying the story and "analyzing" just what it is that keeps me interested, so to compromise, I read it twice.  I particularly liked Coldring's frustration with having to do cobbler duty, which must seem so mundane to him.  It's great that you gave us a more practical side of the flashing banners and pennants and golden trumpets of an Elven army on the march, the very image of all those muscled elves makes me want to do an "Eowyn"  but for entirely unnoble reasons. :^>

Re: raving fangrilishness -  in spite of my attempt to remain detached and hip, I indulge in it, even at my advanced age.  Hence I succumb to shameless Glorfindelism, much to my chagrin.

Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz. :^D  That could work!  Jackman need to shave close.  It's fun to cast roles for these things.  I'm more concerned over the screenwriters and the director...and maintaining creative control. ;^)

I just realized when I read this chapter how perfectly placed the characters are for intense tension:
the "Father" of the Ringwraiths and the (soon to be widowed) wife of the One Ring...

Sam can be too modest sometimes, makes me want to hug and kiss him (Just kidding), especially with the "I'm a mere stone mason's son" part.  So Isilme has been doing a bit of "research" on Sam, hmmm...

The Sam-Elerina bit is getting more and more interesting. I loved Elerina's walk out part and the very very nice "walk-in-on-Sam-shirtless" part, it had me thinking what she really meant when she said:  "Sometimes I think I will never be warm again." The part where she feels that Val may never truly know his real father struck me and I'm now very curious how things will play out
after Isildur dies.

Yey!  Sam gets to dress up and look all princely!  Mighty spear indeed! He could be a prude sometimes.
Felt sorry for him when he was reminiscing about his wife and unborn son.  Could it be that he just misses his wife and sees her in Elerina or could he really be attracted to her?

The scene where Val calls Sam "Atya" was very touching, especially when the child said "I do not remember what he looks like."

Very interesting back story about the crafting of Galadriel's mirror and the mention of the female dwarf had me thinking of additional possibilities of what happened to Melamire and I want to know what she saw.

"are they Maiar?"

Maybe. :^)

The Maiar in my 'verse are a bit more like the demi-gods of Graeco-Roman mythology, that is, they have more concrete interactions with humans (and other creatures!) and thus mingled more in the mammalian gene pool.

Reading (a lot) between the lines, canonically speaking, it struck me that Valandil wouldn't know much of his father since he was only three years old when Isildur left for war.  Sámaril and Valandil, both in search of family connections, are good for each other.