Finwean Correspondences on the Topic of the Edain (Posthumously Selected by Elrond Half-Elven) by Dialux, Anne Wolfe, , Idrils Scribe, , Dawn Felagund, , Aprilertuile, , janeways, , Himring

| | |

Caranthir


Most esteeméd Eldest Lord of Himlad, Celegorm Fëanorion, greetings and blessings upon House and hunt:

May the stars shine upon the parchment at your reading and dim only with fullest moonrise:

May the sun shine, actually, as that makes more sense, upon this parchment to make its letters soothing upon thine eye as the cool waters of Lake Helevorn upon heated skin:

Anyway, I have received a most curious missive about the twins from Maed


Lord Celegorm of Himlad:

I write to you beneath a splendid autumn sun that I hope likewise smiles upon your vast and lovely lands, enriching both hunt and harvest. I have recently received a most curious missive from our eldest brother Maedhros who resides upon the coldest, most northerly reaches. The missive concerned our youngest of brothers Amrod and Amras (erstwhile, the Ambarussa) who reside upon the most verdant, southerly reaches (at least as far as we Fëanorians go). It will likely surprise you not that they have taken in their minds to adopt these newly arrived "Mortals" much like the time they "adopted" what they thought was an evaporating pool full of "tadpoles" into their bathtub and we ended up with a house full of mosquitoes. They have always had a heart for the frail and multitudinous.

Our brother (Maedhros) has generally earned his reputation as being Wise and Prudent (at least compared to the rest of us), but I fear I cannot agree with his latest decision as far as concerns the management of our family. He has taken, quite inappropriately I assure you, that I am to blame for the twins' notion, as though they lack entirely in their own autonomy. As one of the middle brothers, caught along with me as the proverbial foil betwixt hammer and anvil, I am certain you will share in my perturbation with his audacity in ordering me to the Southlands to resolve this matter. As one given to hunt at the twins' side, I imagine your ire compounded by affront on their behalf, as though they lack the autonomy to make decisions in consideration of the needs of their own realm (quite far from his! quite!) and following the magnetic pull of their own moral compasses. As I am quite piqued, I can only imagine the extent of your outrage.

While I know the roads are long and rather rugged at this season, I hope I can prevail upon you to serve in my stead. Yes, the weather may turn foul at any moment, but the hunting in the South is particularly nice at this time of year, I've heard. I know you will not want to leave your capers within your own realm but I hope

ah hell


Tyelko:

Hey. Have you received any letter from Maedhros lately by chance? I certainly have. It was remarkably interesting for a letter from our brother, surprisingly lacking in harvest data, military schemes, and mentions of our cousin Fingon. Why, you might wonder, when those three things comprise about 99% of Maedhros's interests, whatever did he have to say?

You may have heard of these so-called "Mortals" discovered by our cousin Finrod while supposedly hunting with our brothers Maedhros and Maglor, though I would note that he was closer to your realm than to theirs and consider why he may have asked them and not you. But that's beside the point. In true pie-eyed conniving Arafinwion fashion, he solved the thorny diplomatic dilemma presented by these Mortals in Laiquendi lands by prevailing upon the most empty-headed of our brothers who have always loved furry helpless things as these Mortals purportedly are. I would remind you, at this point, that these same brothers are most closely aligned with you and that you (not I) spent considerable time providing for their tutelage in our salad days in Aman, instilling in them this love of weak, furry, &c things.

Naturally, you know the outcome: that the twins mean to accept these Mortals into their realm, much to Maedhros's chagrin, causing him to prevail on me to assess the situation and convince them otherwise, as will likely be required. I, however, do not wish to go. It is an unusually lovely autumn here in Thargelion, and I would rather occupy myself with swimming in the lake by day and keeping warm by spiced cider and my wife in bed by night, with my greatest inconvenience the daily tallying of the ledgers of Dwarven gold. Naturally, I do not expect you will care.

Therefore, I will remind you of a certain incident, long-gone, whereby you--in your cups and "distracting" a certain dressmaster with your insipid blue eyes and pointless title and errant hands--caused a euphemistically termed "wardrobe malfunction" in the young Prince Nolofinwë at his presentation to the court at his majority, for aptly placed pins were not properly replaced with stitching for the hands that should have been busy with such task were pulling something quite different from needle and thread. It created, you might recall, quite a "sticking situation" and--you might also recall--was blamed upon me. Even then understanding in theory, if not practice, the notion of compound interest, I allowed the deposit of blame and have kept it in store all of these years until the principle of the matter has grown considerably. You did not speak up then, but I will happily speak up now and unwind the frail allegiance that has grown between our house and Fingolfin's due to Maedhros's machinations if you do not agree to make this first payment toward your debt to me under the following terms:

You will travel south to our brothers. They do, after all, listen to you more than they listen to me. You will assess and report to me what you observe, and I will take the credit with Maedhros, much as I took the blame all those yéni afore. Take a sturdy horse and dress warmly, for I hear both roads and weather are rough at this time of year.

Furthermore, note that this is but a single payment and the interest compounds daily, doubled when you are unkind to me. I look forward to your report, which will surely be delivered with the deference and gratitude that is my due for providing you with this scintillating opportunity, and also to exacting further payments in discharging your debt.

Your loving little brother,

Caranthir Fëanorion


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment