Finwean Correspondences on the Topic of the Edain (Posthumously Selected by Elrond Half-Elven) by Dialux, Anne Wolfe, , Idrils Scribe, , Dawn Felagund, , Aprilertuile, , janeways, , Himring

| | |

Maglor


Dearest brother Curufinwë, second of that name—

From the North, greetings and glad tidings!

Well, not really. Your brother Tyelkormo has gotten himself embroiled in some convoluted scheme of Moryo’s and I am officially making it your duty to supervise him.

(Do not reproach me that he is “our” brother, either, for you know as well as I do that he is and always has been your problem. You are always getting him into some sort of trouble or another—Do you remember that time you bribed Tyelko to distract Nolofinwë’s tailor before his presentation at court? Because I do—and now it shall be your duty to get him out of it. Neither reproach me that I am not the eldest and I cannot tell you what to do; I was your King, forget you not, and if you argue with me I shall make Maitimo tell you, for you know he will do as I ask, and he is the eldest and then you shall have no other choice, and you shall be right well embarrassed about it, too.

As far as I can gather, our golden-haired cousin of the harp has made himself friends amongst the Secondborn, who have in turn made enemies of the Laiquendi whose land they meandered onto (perhaps the Laiquendi would have a less difficult time getting along with them if they spent less time talking to trees and more time talking to those of us who keep the forces of Moringotto at bay for them, but—I digress). In any event, Ingoldo decided the Twins would be best suited to host these Secondborn (an assessment with which I must confess I do not wholly disagree), so the Twins wrote to Maitimo to ask for his blessing, and Maitimo asked Moryo to go and make some observations of the Secondborn, and Moryo has now foisted this responsibility upon Tyelko because the weather is bad and Tyelko is closer and Moryo does not want to go. (Do not whine to me about being the last to hear, either, for you might have heard sooner if you were less vehemently in agreement with our father of blessed memory on that subject.)

So. You are going to find him and supervise him. Make sure he does not eat them. I repeat: The Secondborn are not for eating! Nor are they for sport. They are to remain alive and unspoiled. You know how he is. Tell him also that we did not lose Ingoldo, we simply let him meander away and did not deign to follow him or inquire after his whereabouts. There is a difference; namely, whether or not it was intentional, which I assure you it very much was. Trust me, if you were subjected night after night after night to his poetry, his dirges, his lamentations for Valinor and/or Amarië, his readings of treatises, his musings on some such or another topic--you would have lost him, too. Stars above. He seemed far less annoying when he studied with me as a child, and that is saying something.

Consider this a much-needed opportunity to wrest yourself from the workshop and enjoy the fresh air. I hear Ossiriand is lovely this time of year.

Yours &c.,

Makalaurë Kanafinwë, Second Son of the First House of the Noldor

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment