Finwean Correspondences on the Topic of the Edain (Posthumously Selected by Elrond Half-Elven) by Dialux, Anne Wolfe, , Idrils Scribe, , Dawn Felagund, , Aprilertuile, , janeways, , Himring

| | |

Curufin


To Nelyafinwe, Lord of the Marches and Himring, Head of the House of Feanaro (and rightful King of the Noldor, if he had not decided to abdicate in a fit of diplomacy), sometimes known as Maedhros—his brother Curufinwe sends respectful (but not overly respectful) greetings.

Copies to be sent to my brothers Makalaure at the Gap and Carnistir at Helevorn (am I the only one who bothers to copy in any others on tidings of major significance, around here?)

Returning from Nogrod to Himlad, I found that Tyelkormo had recently departed, leaving Tyelperinquar with unclear instructions—my son was under the impression that Tyelko had learned of the lair of some new kind of game animal and gone hunting. Details were suspiciously lacking. I had just begun my investigation of Tyelko’s room and found Carnistir’s letter, when Makalaure’s messenger arrived with his letter to me, and I was able to compare the two and gain at least some inkling of what had been going on.

I am very disappointed, by the way, that my intentions with regard to that long-ago wardrobe malfunction incident are still not sufficiently appreciated. I was trying to uphold the honour of the House of Feanaro! And with minimal cooperation from any of you except for Tyelko, I have to say. If I had had more to work with, I am sure there would have been no repercussions for Carnistir or anyone else!

But all that aside, I was seriously disturbed that, when the very people of whom we were told that they are designed to supplant us appeared on the scene, none of you three thought it necessary to go and inspect them! And apparently, it was thought I was not trustworthy enough to be informed, even, merely because I hold by Father’s words as much as is our manifest duty, until Makalaure got concerned about Tyelko and his chronic preoccupation with edibility? I hope you have at least considered how to communicate about these arrivals with our dwarven allies, Carnistir.

In any case, as you probably have already deduced, I am writing to you from the banks of the Celon, near the place which is already being called The Encampment, after the Aftercomers who are now encamped there. I managed to catch up with Tyelko just before he arrived here, as he had stopped to converse with an acquainted bear or two on the way. I have reluctantly refrained from assassinating any of the Aftercomers, so do not worry about that. I do not think it would count as Kinslaying, as I vehemently reject any imputation of kinship with these creatures, but I am fully aware that the shared name of ‘Children of Eru’ will cause the more sentimental among us to think differently. I also do realize the importance of not offending our cousin Findarato unnecessarily, Nelyafinwe. And, of course, I want to avoid upsetting the sensibilities of the Ambarussa, if I can help it!

Tyelko has also been dissuaded by me from any hands-on (or maybe I should say teeth-in) experiments. It seems that instead he has solved the question of edibility to his satisfaction by consulting some of his four-footed friends. I have not inquired too deeply, as I find the whole idea distinctly unappetizing.

Fortunately, I am now a lot less worried about the Aftercomers supplanting us any time in the near future, despite their thoroughly shocking birth rates. The Sindar may have been called us Noldor quarrelsome, but that was before they had experienced these Aftercomers! I doubt they can agree among themselves long enough to carry out a successful plot against us. Despite their initial sycophantic admiration for Findarato, some of them have uttered doubts that Morgoth is as hostile and dangerous as he says he is, which clearly is taking natural scepticism a step too far! Findarato may not be as wise as they imagine he is, but he never had an ulterior motive in his life and I don’t think he even knows how to economize with the truth. You would think that would be obvious even to them.  

It has caused a lot of dissension among them, as those who consider Findarato their shining fount of wisdom are righteously incensed at this insult to their hero. I have actually heard one of the sceptics advocate for leaving Beleriand again. With luck, that opinion will gain more followers and the problem will eventually solve itself that way!

How do I know all this? No stealth skills of the Laiquendi were required. You can hear these people shout a mile off, even when they are not quarrelling, as they so often are. Tyelko is just a little irritated with them for scaring away some of his animal friends and I am surprised the Ambarussa haven’t taken to wearing ear muffs.

Meanwhile, the Aftercomers do seem to be quite willing to engage in grain production and do not resist the levying of some tribute in exchange for the permission to settle. At least in that, the Twins’ optimism seems justified. That should allay your concerns over sufficient supplies for Himring somewhat, Nelyafinwe? They are, however, emphatically not cute, whatever the Ambarussa may say. I guess it is just the excessive hairiness that is provoking that instinctive reaction in those who are overly fond of furry creatures? I really cannot see what else could appeal, except possibly the etymology of some of the words in their language which appear to have been originally borrowed from Khuzdul.

I will remain here only a little longer to make sure I have not missed any indications of anything untoward, and then return to Himlad, taking care to remove Tyelko as well, to be on the safe side. I am not entirely sure what Tyelperinquar is getting up to in both our absence and I would prefer not to leave him unsupervised for too long. Undoubted genius that he is, it is better to keep an eye on him! I would prefer not to have to deal with the consequences of any major explosions this year, even if it all goes to further Eldarin knowledge and Tyelperinquar never causes the same kind of explosion twice.

 

Yours faithfully (but above all faithful to our Father and the  Great House of Feanaro),

your brother Curufinwe

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment