Finwean Correspondences on the Topic of the Edain (Posthumously Selected by Elrond Half-Elven) by Dialux, Anne Wolfe, , Idrils Scribe, , Dawn Felagund, , Aprilertuile, , janeways, , Himring

| | |

Maedhros


To my brother Caranthir, Lord of Thargelion, 

 

I hope this letter finds you well. How are relations with the Dwarves? The Naugrim always did love those pearls you trade with Círdan. They still pay you in mithril, I presume? I am told your hoard is approaching dragon-like proportions. 

With so many mercantile endeavours that need seeing to, I can hardly blame you for losing track of the twins. Our brothers are young, obsessed with hunting, and as efficient at running a country as a pair of squirrels in a smithy. Nonetheless we need them to produce the grain to feed our troops, which is why I told you to keep an eye on them. 

Instead, I got a letter from our dearest youngsters (copy enclosed for your enjoyment), informing me that not only are they adopting a whole tribe of Mortals - who, according to my preliminary intelligence, breed and eat like rabbits - but they are also conveniently positioning them on prime farmland. I would not dream of laying these unfortunate decisions at your door, but stars above Caranthir, I told you to keep an eye on them!

I know you are not inclined to philosophy or metaphysics, so I will not bore you with the cosmological implications of the appearance of the long-awaited Secondborn. Finrod found them on our hunting trip - and before you get started: yes, I went hunting with Finrod. So did Maglor. I know you don’t get along with our Arafinwëan cousins, but belligerence is not a constructive attitude when drumming up support for the siege. 

Please, Caranthir, apply some of those anger management techniques we discussed last time and keep yourself from sending Finrod some rude missive blaming him for all this. Do not even think about riding to Nargothrond to “speak your mind”. I forbid it. I’m still mopping up the mess from your latest spat with Angrod. 

Instead I order you (yes Caranthir, I order you. I am well aware that I am no longer king of the Noldor, not in the least because you keep harping about it at every opportunity, but I am still the head of this House and therefore your liege lord); I order you to go visit the Ambarussa forthwith and take reconnaissance. If these Secondborn can be trained into something resembling decent warriors, they can stay. If not, tell Amras in no uncertain terms that they’re Mortals, not abandoned fawns for him to adopt, and have them removed. 

As an aside, I’ve been trying to get hold of Celegorm but he seems lost in some trackless woodland or other - one presumes it’s the same one as Aredhel. If you should meet him, pound it into that thick skull of his that these Mortals are speaking creatures, and he should not even think about hunting them for sport. The Petty-dwarf debacle is still too fresh in everyone’s minds. 

 

Trusting that you’ll do the responsible thing for once,

 

Maedhros Fëanorion, Lord of Himring, Eldest of the House of Fëanor in Middle-earth, and therefore The One In Charge.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment