Fun and Games... by Grundy

| | |

Vardamir - Never Have I Ever - Wished He Wasn't The Eldest

Triple drabble


Fate had a sense of humor, in Vardamir’s opinion. At least, it did when it came to him.

He was out of place in many ways.

For a start, him being the eldest was not quite a disaster, but it was definitely a muddle at best. Tindomiel was far better suited for the Sceptre, and it wasn’t just him who knew it. He was a scholar, a lover of lore, not a leader or even an administrator. Worse, he lacked the patience with people to effectively remedy his deficiencies. Books and nature weren’t nearly so illogical or recalcitrant!

Father recognized the situation, and had subtly sounded out his council and been told that it was the eldest child who inherited his father’s estate and honors – and preferably the eldest son in the opinions of the Beorions and Hadorions. The Haladin felt otherwise, but unfortunately were not strong enough in numbers to carry their point that daughters were equal to sons. Father wasn’t happy about leaving that problem to fester, foreseeing consequence that might become dire for their descendants, but he’d made little progress.

But it was more than that. As fascinating as the young land of Elenna might be, Vardamir’s heart was drawn irresistibly to Middle-earth, and to his uncle’s people – and his grandparents, who he has only ever glimpsed from afar on the decks of a ship. The whims of the Valar when it came to his family made little sense to him. What harm could it do for his grandparents to speak to their sons, and to meet him and his siblings? Why put Uncle’s children to the Choice but not Father’s? It was useless to dwell on, but Vardimir suspected he would have been a far more acceptable son to his uncle’s people than to his mother’s.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment