The Last Home at the End of the World by elennalore

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Queens of the Quill challenge as a New Year's resolution. My prompt was a poem by Margaret Atwood: Morning in the Burned House. I recommend reading this wonderful poem first, and then the fic. The themes of the poem, afterlife and apocalypse, made me instantly think of Maedhros and the War of Wrath.

Content warning: suicidal ideation, suicide, slightly gory description of a Silmaril-burned hand

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After stepping into a chasm filled with fire, Maedhros finds himself in an eerily familiar house.

Major Characters: Maedhros, Nienna

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Hurt/Comfort

Challenges: New Year's Resolution, Queens of the Quill

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Suicide

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 961
Posted on 27 January 2022 Updated on 27 January 2022

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

elennalore has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Style, Worldbuilding. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Oh my! This is so beautiful.

"...we sat by the fireplace and told each other stories that had a happy ending." Love this!

I was pulled along, all the way through... and then, the tear on her cheek and I knew, and my heart filled. Oh yes, yes. This is so right for our beloved Maedhros.

I think that is a wonderful use of the prompt.

So compelling that he would return to that particular house, because of what it meant to him, and find it burnt and that that is where Nienna would find him.

So good to think she came for him!

And very well described.