A Kind of Poetry by Independence1776

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Beta by the wonderful Pandemonium_213.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Indis can't help but fall in love with Finwë-- and his wife Míriel. When the couple brings her into their relationship, everything changes.

Finwë/Míriel/Indis, with an emphasis on Míriel/Indis.

Major Characters: Fëanor, Finwë, Indis, Míriel Serindë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Sexual Content (Moderate)

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 017
Posted on 14 August 2010 Updated on 14 August 2010

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Indy, I fell in love with this plot bunny the moment you brought it up. What a wonderful way to reconcile such a sad situation. I love this, not just because of its creativity, and not to mention its heresy, but I love the very realistic way you have portrayed a polyamorous relationship. I love how you showed them in their everyday lives, and the friendship between all three of them, and that it's very much a part of the love too. I loved how the women really seemed to have the upper hand in this, and that it wasn't Finwe forcing them together. And the idea of Feanor having two mothers is spectacular. This rings very true, especially to someone who has been close friends with people who do live an alternate lifestyle like polyamorory. I love how much thought you put into this. The imagery is gorgeous, and the bits of humor make it even more poigniant and meaningful.

 

This has always, and always will be, a story I treasure and enjoy reading again and again. Lovely work, Indy!

Thank you so much, Roisin! I figured that if I'm making it AU by the triad, I may as well go all the way and give it a happy ending.

I'm glad you find the relationship realistic, because it can be difficult to portray. I couldn't have Finwë be the driving force, because it didn't ring true (and it gives off some dubious vibes). Plus, I wanted to focus on the Mírel/Indis relationship because I know you like femslash. I can't see either one of the women being shrinking violets-- they married the king of the Noldor! (And Indis loved him enough to cause him to take it to the Valar. Strong woman to go against society.)

I am *thrilled* you reread this. :D

I hadn't read this before reading about it in your comments to MEFA.  I have to tell you that I loved this angle in this relationship.  I've never seen this approach before and I can see how well the concept works through your words.  I love the unexpected.  Thanks for writing this.  

 

- Erulisse (one L)

I have to tell you that I love this! Just...they're all so happy. I love Finwë/Miriel/Indis in a happy working relationship together, and this is so good.

And I'm so glad that Elleth pointed this out to me, and that you wrote it. I sound like an utterly idiotic fangirl, but this is one of my fav three pairings. It's so rare, and I adore this fic.

Thank you so much! Half the reason I wrote it was because I wanted a happy ending. (I actually have a sequel to this, written during B2MeM earlier this year, but haven't edited it yet. Next year, hopefully.) No such thing as an utterly idiotic fangirl here; squee makes fandom what it is. But I must ask-- in sheer amazement and desire-- where are the other fics with this triad?! Again, thank you! :D

Not knowing this was an AU outside of the relationship--I came to it via a link of Elleth's list of femslash stories--my breath caught when I realized that this change in detail had given the House of Finwe a happy ending. What a beautiful moment and a lovely surprise!

And the heretic in me adores the fact that this came about through the loosening of the constraints of the Valar, that their too-strict rules would have been what created the discomfort with Finwe's "complicated" (not at all by real-world standards, of course, but I think we're seeing more than a little of JRRT's Catholicism at work here) family situation, that all of the parties involved could have been content with greater acceptance of how things are versus prescriptive notions of how things should be.

I loved the bit of verse for the love scene. This was just perfect to me, for reasons I can't quite articulate. :)

Thank you! The summary doesn't give that much away (maybe, at this point I don't know), and to hear that you hadn't even had *that* and it worked for you? I'm thrilled. And I couldn't resist giving them a happy ending; it was pretty much the point, actually. Change one detail and things spin out from it.

It's definitely part and parcel of Tolkien's Catholicism. But things aren't easy in the world-- real or imaginary-- and trying to put people in boxes and define their behavior by "what should be" rather than what is often leads to harm. And with the House of Finwë… Well, we get the Silm.

I'm glad to hear that. The scene was the bit I was most nervous about (I was nervous (and still am, in some ways) about the whole story), and it's also the most explicit I'm capable of writing.

Thank you so much, Dawn!