Patience Enough by Elleth

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Many many thanks to Ludo, Polly and Suz for their betaing magic and support. This was originally written for Indy at LotR SeSa 2014.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

On Tol Eressëa, Celebrían recovers and remembers.

Major Characters: Celebrían, Elrond, Maglor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 775
Posted on 1 January 2015 Updated on 1 January 2015

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This was beautiful, Elleth! I had never thought of the possibility of Nerdanel and Celebrian meeting or how that might unfold, or even of their shared history. Details that I love: Celebrian's slowly giving away Elrond's library. The lineage of Elrond's traits, via Maglor and visible in Nerdanel. Celebrian's ability to still take the tone that "would have brooked no more discussion or objection."

(Also, I wish that book existed! And why am I thinking it would be a good idea to collect such stories and make one ...? :D)

Thank you so much, Dawn! I agree this is not such a common character constellation, but incidentally Indy herself wrote them together in her fic "Strength" as well (I think that may have subconsciously inspired me when I was trawling her fic to check something I wanted to write into the story), a wonderful and very different take than this. I'm glad you're enjoying this one, though, and that so many details stand out to you. :) 

(You and me both! I've actually been thinking that might be a project to tackle at some point, though knowing my writing habits it would probably run away with me, and I'd be stuck following Maglor's footsteps for 6,000 years. :D) 

You convinced me of family ties here, Elleth, of Nerdanel's connection to Celebrían as family, however tenuous in bloodlines that may be, but strong in heart.  I love how Celebrían sees Elrond in Nerdanel, and how that speaks to Elrond's association with Maglor.  I love to clear nod to Indy's RAFA-verse — or at least that is what I am seeing.  Of course, I'm intrigued by the tales gathered by the Wandering Companies and transcribed by Elrond.

Thank you so much, Pandë! The found family aspect was something that appealed to me very much, so I'm glad that that connection felt real to you, and you are definitely not imagining the RAFA nod (in my own version it'd be Maedhros after his release from Mandos who brings Maglor home). 

And there may yet be a glimpse at those stories, though I don't want to reveal too much yet! ;)

I love stories about Celebrian after she goes to Aman, I'm so glad you wrote this! I especially love her friendship with Nerdanel, which was really well done.

The book Elrond compiled about possible Maglor sightings was really touching, both in that he put it together and in that he sent a copy with Celebrian. And, of course, the fact that Celebrian gives it to Nerdanel. There are so many partings and deaths in the Silmarillion, so it's nice to see reunions or hints of them.

One thing you mentioned that I hadn't thought of was Celebrian meetings Celeborn's family reborn in Aman...every other story I've seen has her staying with her mother's family or with Elrond's. That was an insightful addition!

Anyway, thank you for writing this! 

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a lovely review; I'm very glad you enjoyed the story. It was very interesting to work in this framework (especially with Celebrían's recent past) and still try and turn it a positive way, especially with two characters I love as much as these two. 

And I'm glad you found the addition of Celeborn's family interesting. He gets so frequently overshadowed by his wife (and the Sindar by the Amanyar), and there is not much about his family (hence only the oblique mention), but we know they did exist, and Celebrían has more Telerin (that is, the Teleri as the entire Third Clan, making up various Sindar, Nandor and Amanyar Teleri) blood than Vanyarin or Noldorin, and I think she deserves to know both parts of that heritage - exploring that is one of the points on my long, long to-write list, but it will eventually happen. :)