Morning Mist and Silver Sun by StarSpray

| | |

How to Pay Attention

written for Searchingforserendipity on tumblr for a Mary Oliver themed prompt meme


I don’t know exactly what a prayer is. I do know how to pay attention. - Mary Oliver, "The Summer Day"

.

Outside of the Girdle the world was growing darker, the shadows out of the north lengthening with each passing day. But so it had been since Bauglir had returned from across the Sea. In Doriath the sun still shone and the flowers still bloomed, and Galadriel sat beside the Esgalduin with her harp. She did not sing, except to add a few wordless notes to the chords of her song, harmonizing with the songbirds high in the beechen branches.

Celeborn lay on the bank beside her, watching the sky and counting each blade of grass that tickled his skin. When he turned his head he saw Galadriel’s hair shimmer in the sunshine, falling in gentle waves over her bare arms as she strummed her harp, and he thought it lovelier than any description he had ever heard of Telperion or Laurelin. Her dreams of late had been troubled; she woke gasping and talking of crushing waves and darkness eating away at the world, Beleriand sinking beneath her feet. Celeborn could only hold her as she trembled.

He did not know how long they had until Bauglir turned his attention away from the Noldor and toward Doriath, nor whether there was any hope of prayer or message reaching the Valar far away upon their thrones in evergreen Elvenhome. He was not inclined to despair—not yet. But whatever happened, at least he would have these quiet moments secured in his memory. Celeborn felt that he and Galadriel could face anything, so long as they were together.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment