The Book of Short Tales by Lyra

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Chapters may vary in rating. For the most part, they're rated "teens" for some mildly disturbing subject matter, violence and the like. Chapters that require a higher rating are marked with an asterisk and an extra warning.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A place to store short stories, ficlets and challenge responses that don't really warrant being archived on their own.

Newly Added: "The Good and the Bad". Young Aragorn discusses Noldorin history with Erestor.

Major Characters: Amandil, Aragorn, Aredhel, Aulë, Azaghâl, Beren, Caranthir, Celeborn, Curufin, Daeron, Durin I, Dwarves, Elwing, Erestor, Fëanor, Finarfin, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Haleth, Idril, Maedhros, Maglor, Melian, Melkor, Nerdanel, Olwë, Original Character(s), Sons of Fëanor, Ungoliant, Vairë, Varda

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe, Crossover, Drama, Experimental, General

Challenges: B2MeM 2010, B2MeM 2011, B2MeM 2012, B2MeM 2013, B2MeM 2016, B2MeM 2019, With a Bit of Fairy Dust

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Violence (Mild), Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 34 Word Count: 31, 316
Posted on 8 March 2011 Updated on 31 March 2019

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Table of Contents

Written for the B2MeM challenge for the Doors of Night: Your character has a chance to change a single event in his or her past, but doing such will forever alter the future. What will your character choose? What would they change, if anything? And how do you think his or her future would change?

In Mandos, Maedhros has a chance to consider what might have been - and learns something about the complexity of every decision.

A MEFA 2010 nominee. With bonus illustration by yours truly.

Written for the B2MeM 2010 challenge for Armenelos: Our characters often hold strong opinions, whether they be as serious as Fëanor's convictions about freedom from the Valar or as seemingly frivolous as Merry's belief in the superiority of Longbottom Leaf. Write a story, poem, or create an artwork in which a character must defend or discovers the opposite of a strongly held opinion.

The sad thing about "simple truths" is that they're never actually simple. Daeron sees the truth he's always clung to turned lie; Maglor fights for a conviction he no longer believes in; Amandil is forced to lie to keep his family safe.
Three double drabbles (as counted by Open Office Writer).

Written for the B2MeM challenge for Menegroth: Write a story or poem or create artwork that will illustrate the consequences of isolation.

Nerdanel finds a moment to ponder different forms of isolation - and its lack. A ficlet in six consecutive drabbles (as counted by Open Office Writer).


Thank you, Himring, for the nomination!
And a huge thank you to everyone who read and reviewed.
Awesome banner base by Esteliel.

Written for the B2MeM challenge for Dorthonion: Write a story or poem or create a piece of artwork reflecting identification with or connection to one’s land, country or culture.

Or write a story or poem or create a piece of artwork featuring kilts.

Very well! You want kilts, you get kilts!

In the early 19th century, two musicians witness the birth of a legend...


Thank you, Robinka, for the nomination!

Written for the B2MeM challenge for Himring: Write a story or poem or create artwork where characters make sacrifices in order to achieve their goals.

Maedhros sees his life flash before his eyes. Seven drabbles (as counted by Open Office Writer) on the sacrifices demanded by the quest for the Silmarils.

*This chapter rated "Adult" for mature themes, mention of violence, torture and suicide.

Written for the B2MeM challenges for
- Gondolin: Start a story or poem with Charles Dickens' famous opening line from A Tale of Two Cities: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
- Balar: Write a story or poem or create artwork featuring unanswered requests, prayers or pleas.
- Mithrim: Write a story or poem or create artwork where the character conquers his or her fears.
- Rhosgobel: Write a story or poem or create artwork using one or more animals as symbols, omens, or metaphors.

Four double drabbles (as counted by Open Office Writer) centered on Elwing.

Written for the B2MeM challenge for Bree: Write a story or poem in which the exchange of gifts is featured, or use "gifting" as a theme for a piece of art.

Maedhros finds Caranthir's secret. On gifts material and immaterial - love, memory, absence, and the infamous Gift of Men.

Written for the B2MeM challenge for Sirion: Elves are one with Nature. What about Men? Hobbits? Dwarves? Write a story or poem or create artwork where the way different races relate to Nature is shown.

Elves are one with nature? Really? Haleth, at any rate, begs to differ...

Frustrated by obvious inconsistencies, a Fëanorian muses on the poets' treatment of the first kinslaying.
Written in an attempt to deal with a line that absolutely annoyed me in a fanfic I read a while back: I figured tackling the issue creatively was healthier than running around screaming, foaming at the mouth and starting a flame war...

*This chapter rated "Adult" for mention of blood, guts and gore.


Thank you, Grey Gazania, for the nomination!
And a huge thank you to everyone who read and reviewed.

For Instant Drabbling Friday Night, a triple drabble for the prompt The Key: Can open anything.

Sometime in the First Age, Nerdanel unlocks the past. A triple drabble according to OOW.

Written for the "Dwarves in the First Age" prompt, Durin the Deathless remembers coming to life and his maker Aulë, and for the "In a Manner of Speaking" prompt, "for pity's sake".

Durin recalls what must have been, on the whole, a really weird and disconcerting experience...
Officially my first piece of Dwarf fanfic! Yay!

Written for the "Dwarves in the First Age" prompt, Awakening of the seven Fathers of the Dwarves.

The Elves aren't the only ones who fill the early world with music... A drabble according to OOW.

Written for the "Maglor in History" prompt, Sturm und Drang.

Daeron is not happy with Maglor's response to the latest literary fad. Warning: Potential spoilers for Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther. Hey, fair is fair.

Written for three O67 prompts:
- "Silmarillion Fanon", Death of grief = fading;
- "Sons of Fëanor", Curufin and Nerdanel;
- "Women of Arda", Míriel.

In the middle of the night, Nerdanel has to convince young Curufin that she is not going to follow the example of his grandmother.

Written for the "Sons of Fëanor" prompt, "the cruel servants of Celegorm..."

Two of Celegorm's servants face Maedhros, who is Not Amused.

Written for three B4 prompts:
- "In a Manner of Speaking", Forever hold your Peace;
- "Silmarillion Fanon", Maglor the Mighty Wimp;
- "Sons of Fëanor", Maedhros alone stood aside.

As the swan-ships burn, the eldest sons of Fëanor have an argument.
Apologies to Immanuel Kant for shamelessly and inappropriately stealing his title.

This ficlet started out as a response to the B2MeM '12 prompts O67 (Scientific Achievement: Pharmacy and In a Manner of Speaking: Skeletons in the Closet) and G50 (Scientific Achievement: Medicine), and then languished in my WiP folder until I read the theme quote for Knowledge vs. Ignorance for B2MeM '13. So I thought I'd finish it, polish it, and post it at last!

Istimë muses on the price she (or her patients) had to pay for her knowledge.
B2MeM 2013 Day One--Knowledge vs. Ignorance

Begun for several B2MeM '12 prompts - N38 (Sons of Fëanor: Celegorm and Aredhel and I27 (Fëanatics!: Family Guy and TVTropes: Kill it with Fire); finally finished for B2MeM '13, March 1: Friendship.

Celegorm regrets the loss of a friend.
B2MeM 2013 Day One--Friendship

Begun for B2MeM '12, B13 (B13 TVTropes: Tangled family tree!, Women of the Silmarillion: defying expectations and Here we come a-caroling: And they looked up and saw a star), but yet again left to languish in my WiP folder. Finally finished for B2MeM '13, March 1, "Judgement" -- I love that Gandalf quote excessively, but once again it made me think of quite a different story...

Elwing finds herself judged, and muses on double standards.
B2MeM 2013 Day One--Judgment

Started for a couple of B2MeM '12 prompts (O65: Women of the Silmarillion: women of Gondolin, Scientific achievement: statics, Smells: soap, TvTropes: Overshadowed by Awesome and O62: Women of the Silmarillion: Passing the Bechdel test), finally finished for one of the B2MeM '13 prompts for March 12 (Idril's feelings concerning Maeglin).

Idril disliked Maeglin before she even found out about his obsession with her. Here is why.
B2MeM 2013 Day Twelve

At last, a story that's wholly B2MeM '13! Inspired by the Númenor quote for March 4 (Breaking the Ban of the Valar), and incidentally also covering March 5 (Going aboard the Alcarondas), March 8 (Persecution of the Faithful), March 9 (the Gift of Ilúvatar), March 12 (Ilúvatar changing the fashion of the world). Oof! Quick, post it before yet another prompt comes along!

"... and there was little wind, but they had many oars and many strong slaves to row beneath the lash." One of these slaves looks back on when it all started to go terribly wrong.
B2MeM 2013 Day TwoB2MeM 2013 Day FiveB2MeM 2013 Day EightB2MeM 2013 Day NineB2MeM 2013 Day Twelve

*This chapter rated "Adult" for allusions to extremely disturbing subject matter, such as human sacrifice and cannibalism.

Started for the B2MeM '12 prompt N31 (Fëanatics!: Fëanor hugged his kids and TvTropes: Royals who actually do something) and finished for B2MeM '13, Wildcard Day: "Finish something!" (My WiP folder will be forever grateful for this task.)

Fingolfin reflects on his difficulties with the uninhibited behaviour of children.
Back to Middle-earth Month 2013

Once again, this one began life for B2MeM '12 (B15 - Dwarves in the First Age: Azaghâl gives Maedhros the Dragon-helm) and then languished in my WiP folder. But it kind of fits the B2MeM prompt for March 18 (battle-gear of the Dwarves for the Nirnaeth Arnoediad), so I brought it to a close.

Before the Nirnaeth, Azaghâl brings Maedhros a rich token of his gratitude.
B2MeM 2013 Day Eighteen

Another beneficiary of the B2MeM '13 Wildcard task "Finish something".
This one was begun for the "With a bit of fairy dust" challenge, continued for the B2MeM '12 prompt N31 (Crossovers I: ... with a fairytale or folktale), and left unfinished... until today. Also covers the March 1 prompt "Zeal" (Oath of the Fëanorians, Lays of Beleriand alliterative edition).

Two very different lovers find themselves on a very similar quest. A Lay of Leithian/Taketori Monogatari crossover.
Back to Middle-earth Month 2013B2MeM 2013 Day One--Zeal

A response to the B2MeM '13 prompt for March 28: But Morgoth himself the Valar thrust through the Door of Night beyond the Walls of the World, into the Timeless Void [...] Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hears of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

Imprisoned in the battle-camp of the Valarin host after the War of Wrath, Melkor receives an unexpected and unwelcome visitor... and does some last-minute sowing.

Toeing the AU line; you decide which side of the line it's on.

Some of the allusions in this piece may make more sense if you've read the first chapter of The Tempered Steel (warnings for torture and other forms of violence). Not that I'm pimping my own fic here. >_>
B2MeM 2013 Day Twenty-Eight

Oh look, I wrote something for the actual March 1 "Friendship" quote after all! Because I just can't leave Maedhros and Fingon alone.

There can be, Findekáno knows, no forgiveness and no reconciliation.
B2MeM 2013 Day One--Friendship

Begun for B2MeM '12's B6 (Fëanatics: Daddy Issues); continued and finished for B2MeM '13's prompt for March 19, O (Fëanorians exploring all of Valinor up to the Outer Sea).

Fëanor makes plans for his sons' inheritance. Unfortunately, few things go according to plan. - A quintuple drabble (according to OOW).
B2MeM 2013 Day Nineteen

Started for a couple of B2MeM '12 prompts: N38 (Women of Arda: Galadriel; Women of the Silmarillion: Women of Doriath; Dwarves in the First Age: Melian and the Dwarves), I27 (In a manner of speaking: Blind as a bat) and B4 (Women of Arda: Lúthien; Economy: Luxury Items; Botany: Elanor).

Melian has invited some Dwarvish craftsmen to create a begetting day gift for Lúthien, and asked Galadriel to help her choose. But first, a PC briefing is in order...

In a discussion about femslash a few days ago, I snarked that I wouldn't touch it if the pairing didn't work for me, like Varda/Thuringwethil. About 24 hours later, I was bitten by a plotspider. It seems that Varda/Thuringwethil doesn't work for me, but Varda/Ungoliant does...

Kinda experimental, but there you go.

For different B2MeM '12 prompts, I started three separate stories in which Caranthir defended the achievements of the Dwarves against critical brothers. I never finished any of these stories and probably never will, so for this year's "Memories" theme, I finally condensed each of them into a drabble to make up a short series.
Touching the following BINGO prompts:
N33 (Economy: "Infrastructure" and Here we come a-caroling: "You might even say it glows");
G51 (Scientific Achievement: "Print")
G59 (Dwarves of the First Age: "Curufin receives Angrist")
Also sort of covers the 2009 prompt for March 17 (stereotypes).

Curufin is unimpressed with Caranthir's neighbours. Caranthir showcases some of their achievements to change his brother's mind.

Begun and abandoned for the B2MeM 2012 BINGO Bash (Woman of the Silmarillion - G51 - Women who survive). Inspired by GoldSeven's "All the others, gone". Dug out and polished for B2MeM 2016. Also sort of covers the B2MeM 2011 prompt for March 19: "Write a story or create a piece of artwork centred on meetings or reunions."

While preparing for the War of Wrath, Finarfin has the most important meeting of them all.

Melkor discovers the power of a mother's voice. (AU, somewhat cracky)

On her first evening in Doriath, Galadriel is desperate for a drink.

Written for B2MeM 2019, for the prompts "Overcoming my past" (Person vs. Self) and "Who now shall refill the cup for me?" (Tolkien Quotes), both I20. A slightly irreverent take on the prompts. I apologise.

Young Aragorn discusses Noldorin history with Erestor, touching upon matters of good and evil, tough choices, and how to deal with mistakes.

Responding to various B2MeM prompts:
On the Fëanatics card, 072 (Fëanor: saviour of Middle-earth), I18 (In Beleriand... freedom fighter), B14 (The war of Telerin Aggression) and I25 (Knight in shining armor);
on the Person vs. Self card, I16 (peer pressure), I24 (making tough choices) and N44 (self-doubt);
on the Emotions card, N44 (amusement);
and on the Mary Oliver 1935-2019 card, G55 (perfect imperial distance).


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is fantastic. You have written Nerdanel wonderfully before, but this story pinpoints her character extremely well - it's all there, her strength and wisdom and patience, even though Feanor's claim of the Amanyar Noldor becoming "a shadow-folk" has become very true in a way (and I daresay he if anyone could have imagined this very consequence of his rebellion). Help, my ankles!

It looks like the remaining Noldor were reduced to mere shadows of themselves in their desire to not fan any flame that could be ignited in their hearts.  So it seems that a certain lie of Melkor (the one corcerning some thralls) became fact. They are reduced now to merely exist instead of living and to wait, more and more weary of the world, for the Ages to pass and for Arda to be finally broken. Shadow folk, left to drop vain tears into the thankless sea, indeed.”grin”  But you cannot have tasted the fire without missing it when it's finally extinguished, as your Nerdanel does now.

 

A nice and well-written ficlet. I’m a fan of Fëanor to boot and I enjoy very much stories about his family, particulary when it’s revealed that he wasn’t that much in the wrong, after all. At least, that’s what I think. Congrats, again!

Thank you very much! I quite share the Fëanor love (as is probably apparent ^^), and I'm convinced that there was a lot of truth in what he said. As for Melkor, he probably was a better analyst of the human/Noldorin mind than most of the Valar... unfortunately!
Perhaps Nerdanel will manage to light that fire again. Someone has to before the poor Noldor fade away even in Aman ;)

You've just managed to write down one of the few reasons for (in hindsight) I think that Fëanor shouldn't have taken his Oath after all. Maedhros' suffering frightens me every time I read through the Silmarillion and I don't believe there was anyone to suffer more than him (maybe Maglor, with the passing of the time). Well, what's to say, this only fueled my fury with the Valar and led me to some revolutionary conclusions (as, for instance, that, in all earnestness, Dior and Elwing killed their own people as surely as the Fëanorionnath did) but that's a different story altogether. "grin"

Very powerful imagery for this ficlet. And I'm glad that his end finally came, I'm glad for him to have this impossible course of life finished. He may begin another cycle of suffering but at least this one is finished. And the Valar still didn't get the fates of Arda, encased within three shiny baubles. "grin" Sorry for rambling, dear author, but the House of Fëanor (and well-written stories about it) do have this unfortunate effect on me.

Kind regards and Eru may help Japan,

Sitara

Heh! Actually I don't think the Oath was the problem - just the things it incited, particularly the first Kinslaying. I mean, if the Noldor hadn't so thoroughly messed up in Alqualondë (if those bloody Teleri had cooperated! *growls*), there would've been no Prophecy of the North... and depending on how much power you assign to that prophecy, that might have made the whole story less miserable.
As for the revolutionary conclusions, as you see I have them as well. And yeah, the more I read the Silmarillion, the angrier I get with the Valar. So much mismanagement. As for the "but the Fëanorians must not have the Silmaril!!!" argument... I never got it. Why not? Because they did evil things to get them? So maybe we can stop bad things from happening by just... giving the Silmarils back? NOVEL THOUGHT! Yeah, yeah, I know, Prophecy of the North, they mustn't succeed. Which takes us back, I guess...

There you go, you don't have to apologise for rambling - I did the same! Besides, I love long thoughtful reviews. They're like an invitation to toss my weird thoughts at the reviewer. :) Besides, I like me some flattery. So I don't think there's anything unfortunate about this effect. Quite the contrary! So, thank you!

Well, by now they are traditional, of course - over 200 years since the design first appeared and almost 200 years since the tartan patterns were fixed, that's already quite a long time. For us mortals, anyway. They're just not as old as certain Mel Gibson movies would have us think. ;) The name MacLaurey forced itself on me. It existed long before I even planned to write this story, stored in my brain just in case I should ever write Maglor-in-Scotland fic *g* Glad you like it!

Thank you so much!
The Silmarillion clearly states that the Teleri started the kinslaying, and while I do see why they wanted to defend their ships, that doesn't make it exactly right to kill the Noldor - and that is what'll happen if you push armoured people off piers into deep water, or shoot them, no matter how "slender" the bow, right? If the Noldor hadn't won, it'd probably have been the Teleri who'd received the Curse of Mandos. So I'm already annoyed when ALL the blame is laid at Fëanor's door - but when I came across the idea that awwww, innocent children had been playing on the docks and those bloodthirsty Noldor came and cut them down, I was actually really rather annoyed. There is SO much wrong with that idea! I am willing to believe that the Noldor would've killed any Teler who crossed their way - able-bodied or no, male or no - once the actual fighting had started. But even if I were willing to believe that the Noldor were just inherently evil and bloodthirsty (which I am not), I couldn't imagine that a group who's trying to secretly load and commandeer ships would bother to cut down playing children first. That's just... GRAH.
My apologies - now I've started to rant again. Goes to show just how much the concept annoys me. But that's not your fault. On the contrary! Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in this :)

Copy of my MEFA review:

Lyra can be relied on to come up with interesting ideas. Some of her shorter pieces are almost like thought experiments. This piece is about the development of Noldorin society in Valinor after the departure of Feanor and Fingolfin--not the initial chaos and struggle to re-establish order, which is only implied, but a general change of attitudes once Finarfin had settled into his rule and before Earendil (or Idril) arrived to bring news from Beleriand. The piece centers on Nerdanel. Nerdanel is also the protagonist of Lyra's "Golden Days"; she has drawn a convincing portrait of her a true artist, beside her roles as wife of Feanor and mother of his children. Here she discovers the connection between introspection and art and meditates on the cost of the emotional risk-taking that art involves--and on the other hand, on the price that has to be paid for not taking such emotional risks. At first glance, that sounds very theoretical (Lyra says in the notes that she had been reading an influential work by Walter J. Ong) and, to begin with, the tone of the discussion may seem almost too calm--I think some readers might feel that the piece engages in telling rather than showing. In my opinion, they would be mistaken. The style of writing reflects the theme of the piece. There are currents of deep emotion running underneath--and it breaks out in the last sentence.

Hi Lyra, thought I'd repost my MEFA review here.

In this ficlet Lyra envisions an Aman in which the Noldor respond to the disaster of the Silmarils by fearing anyone who chooses to create in isolation. [“For is it not agreed that it was the self-absorbed focus on work, the locked doors and unsocial isolation in the forge, that allowed the unthinkable to grow in the mind of Fëanáro?”] The lack of introspection results in a stultifying of creation, so that there are no more works of genius, only passionless rehashing of old works. The story is told from Nerdanel’s point of view, who is accepted by the others, but apparently watched to make sure she conforms to the strictures of the Remnant, the remaining Noldor. I can well imagine that she misses her husband’s passion, even though such emotion is, as she says, [“unreliable, shifting, dangerous”] and that her life is now grey. I had not imagined such a scenario before, but Lyra made me believe in her version and I’m impressed by the power of her rendition.

Congrats on first dwarf-fic! :)

I love it. I love the idea that they were all connected in the beginning, and that later separated. Also, your idea that the dwarves start talking/thinking in words that they were not taught by Aule is great. ;)

I would like to see what happened next. How did Durin feel and what did he after the awakening? Do you plan the sequel?

Hi Lyra, I'm glad to have the opportunity to review this ficlet.   The B2MeM prompts create opportunities for interesting fiction, don't they? 

What ifs are always interesting.  As your story suggests, when things go badly, we always try to second guess ourselves. If only we had done such and such, perhaps disaster would have been averted.  I really like the idea of Maitimo and Macalaurë visiting Olwë and persuading him of a way around the disaster that occurs at Alqualondë.  Manipulative diplomacy, as you so aptly characterize it, as a way around stubborn, intransigent personalities,  is always a better choice if one wants to avoid the inevitable bloodshed.  So how is it so often in our history that we opt for the murder and mayhem solution? Which usually only leads to more murder and mayhem.  I enjoyed your characterizations here.  The brief description of Maitimo as having "red hair and a finely cut, serious face"  and this line:  "Macalaurë perhaps can play any musical instrument that he chooses, but Maitimo plays people, and Macalaurë isn’t certain that he does not find that ability uncanny." 
Here's another marvelous line that well characterizes Fëanor: "Fëanáro, resplendent in armour and anger and certainty."  Love that.

I also like the idea of the tapestries, Maitimo noticing that it doesn't look like his memory, and Vairë getting Maitimo to realize that agonizing over what ifs is futile.   

Your picture is lovely.  I wish I could draw.  Love the sense of movement, the wind in the banners and the torch, the hussle and bustle, the movement of the sea.  Thanks for pointing me this direction. *g*

I can't believe I only discovered your lovely review now (March 28, 2013 - a whole year later! O.ó). You should see me blush, both with embarrassment and with joy!

So happy that this what-if works for you. Yes, diplomacy (even the somewhat uncanny manipulative kind) is usually the better road... and the one less travelled by. I'm also delighted that you enjoyed the descriptions and characterisations; I find it hard to paint a character in a few words without distracting from the actual (short) story, so I'm thrilled if I've done it right! Also thrilled you like the picture.

In conclusion, thank you so much for your kind and enthusiastic review! :)

Interesting idea! I've never thought of it, but now that you wrote it, it seems logical - indeed, why wouldn't some Feanor's son be afraid of his mother's fading in some moment?

Well done! :)

P.s. There's one sentence that's confusing. "And your grandmother Míriel was a seamstress, while you are a sculptress," Atarincë said, sounding more thoughtfuol than miserable now. "A thread is much easier cut than rock."

Uhm, who says that? Words sound mature, but then the first part is wrong - shouldn't it be "...while I am a sculptress"? If so, the middle part should also be changed. ;)

Thank you, glad you like it!
Good catch also - Atarincë is the speaker (and the words are supposed to be indicative of his clever young mind, while the wonky logic shows his still semi-magical thinking, i.e. his tender age), but how the "your" snuck in there, I have no idea. *edits* Thank you again!

Yes, I'm glad I had a chance to do that - I was feeling rather unfair towards Daeron, having painted him as the backwards fool all the time. I guess it's no secret that I like Noldor over Sindar...

I have to admit that it's been a decade since I last read Werther! Haven't gotten over that frustration yet, so I haven't tried again. I can't rightly recall how I felt about Lotte - I think she didn't stick out particularly negatively at the time. Of course, Werther's emo blog entries sort of drowned out everything else!

I don't think Nerdanel would have a good idea of the concept of fading, certainly (sort of lacking the personal experience, even as an observer) - so yeah, I think she would be confused. And the bits she does understand aren't exactly the right subject matter for a kid at bedtime, either...

*facepalm* Thank you. Time for a proofreader, I suspect...

I don't think I see him as quite so pragmatic normally, either. The most diplomatic of the bunch, sure, but not in that way. As a thought experiment, however, it was tempting - and certainly works nicely against Maglor's fanonic image as that wimpy bard who won't get his hands dirty! ;)

I'm glad of this glimpse into Istime's background!

Healing would certainly have been quite a dangerous business even when she knew what she was doing, with the limited resources she had at Cuivienen and during the March.

(Nitpicks: "strenghtening" for "strengthening", missing opening quotation marks before I could not heal her)

Yep. Unless you ascribe to the "Elves don't get sick, injured or otherwise indisposed as easily as humans" school of thought, which I (or you! :)) obviously don't!

(*facepalms* I've proofread this so often and those still slipped my attention? Disgraceful. Thank you for catching them! That's what I get for posting without a beta. >_>)