Tengwar (working title) by cuarthol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Compilation of prompt fills, type and length may vary per chapter.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

For the Tengwar prompt challenge.  To be updated as new prompts are completed.

Current up through 'Anca'

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Andreth, Celeborn, Celebrimbor, Celegorm, Círdan, Curufin, Daeron, Elwing, Fëanor, Finduilas, Finrod Felagund, Gil-galad, Gwindor, Húrin, Mahtan, Nellas, Nerdanel, Nuin, Telchar, Tilion

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Fixed-Length Ficlet, In-Universe Artifact, Poetry

Challenges: Tengwar

Rating: General

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 25 Word Count: 2, 730
Posted on 15 April 2024 Updated on 9 May 2024

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Calma (lamp)

What need of more light?
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Calma (lamp)

Delicate silver rings assembled in a fine chain net cradle the gem within, radiating a pale blue light throughout the room.  Fëanor’s eyes dance.

The top is drawn into a loop to be held or hung, but now it rests upon his workbench.

What need have we of more light?

The question grates.  Laurenlin reaches not to Oromë’s hollows and Aulë’s depths, nor Telperion, the fathoms of Ulmo.

Think ye the Pelóri are the end of Arda?  That the vast lands through which our forebears journeyed are wholly forgotten?  To ye, perhaps, but I would see their distant beauty yet.

 

Ungwë (spider's web)

One thing more to ask.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Ungwë (spider's web)

The wire was spun so fine as to resemble thread, hung with myriad crystal dewdrops which in turn twisted the light into a dazzling waltz across the silver web.  In the center was mounted an onyx with eight slender silver legs.

“Breathtaking,” Nerdanel whispered as Fëanor drew the piece over her shoulders to clasp it behind her neck.  Her fingertips traced the lines of it as it settled lightly over her breast.

“I shall make for thee whatever thy heart desires.”  

The words tickled her ear, sending shivers down her neck.  “Then when wilt thou make for me a ring?”

Alda (tree)

Somewhere in the Forest of Brethil...
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Alda (tree)

“Leaf and needle, branch and root!”  The deep voice rumbled with amusement as the squirrel skittered down his trunk.  It might almost be described as ticklish, the tiny nails clinging to his hide.  “Another acorn for your burrow?”

The squirrel paused, turning inquisitive eyes up but without understanding.  Its tail twitched, mouth too full to chatter in reply.  After a moment, it continued on its way, jumping down onto the soft forest floor and bounding to the next tree.

Soon the creature was beyond his sight, and he settled back into a half-lidded doze with a contented sigh.  “Hmm, hoom.”

Númen (west)

An Avar considers those who left before his birth.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Númen (west)

Murien thinks on the fate of their sundered kin.  Did they find what they sought, fulfillment of those lofty promises?  Did they ever regret their choice?

He would not have followed; the very thought is waved away like a meddlesome moth.  How could he leave the forests of his people where they have dwelt for generations, pushing back against the darkness to kindle their own light?

Nowhere else would be home.

Still, he thinks on it, his imagination crafting a scene: luminous plants and sweet waters, songs of harmony, and quiet contentment.  What could the West offer that he lacks?

Unque (hollow)

An Angband escapee.
(References to captivity and injuries.  Drabble)

Read Unque (hollow)

His body trembled as he leveraged the iron band, heedless of the raw flesh and blood.  An abrupt lurch and it slid off, hitting the ground with a dull thud and a clatter of chain.

He panted in shock, in relief.

Narrowing tunnels with jagged sides grabbed his skin and clothes as he scrambled onward toward a faint hope of escape.  He crawled at the last, desperate, gasping for air as darkness pressed in from all sides.

Then it was gone, fallen away, and Gwindor was free.  Cool, bare ground beneath his feet; hollow eyes filled with tears and starlight.
 

Aha (rage)

Exiled without recourse.
(No warnings.  Drabble, Poetry)

Read Aha (rage)

The Tyrant’s Wrath, Fëanor called it: the storm that sank so many ships, his people lost to the sea.  No matter what the Valar meted out, he would not yield.  He had been exiled - what else could he have done?  He stood upon the prow and screamed his defiance:

Let Námo curse and Ossë rage
Let Lindar fall and Swanships break
An oath I made and war I’ll wage
For nothing less, my vengeance slake

Let every drop of Noldor blood
Be shed to see our foe’s demise
No bitter sea nor swelling flood
Shall keep me from rightful prize

Essë (name)

Felagund, who knew no fear.
(References to death.  Drabble)

Read Essë (name)

It was a battle he could not win, but defeat would not come one breath before its time.  Broken by songs of power, he sang on.  Chained and cast into darkness, he knew freedom.  Left to endure the pained cries of his truest companions as one by one they were ripped asunder and their souls sent flying to Mandos, he knew his own fate.

Even as he lay bleeding upon cold stone, Beren’s hands clutching him, he smiled into the darkness.  He had won.  He had overcome.  Though taken in death, he had denied Sauron his greatest prize: his name.

Essë nuquerna (name reversed)

It'll get you every time.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Essë nuquerna (name reversed)

It was a beautiful stamp, etched in soapstone.  The name ‘Finwë’ was framed by a ring of vines and leaves, birds and insects tucked among them.  Curufin admired the dedication and skill which had gone into the piece, and it almost broke his heart when his son looked at him, eyes filled with hopeful pride.

“Can I try it out, papa?”

Curufin nodded.

Telperinquar eagerly poured the wax into a perfect circle, setting the stamp in the center.  When he lifted it, his excitement turned to confusion, then horror.  There was the carefully carved name, perfectly displayed in reverse:  ⋼ωɲıꟻ


Chapter End Notes

I've been bit more than once forgetting to mirror the stamp carving *facepalm*

Parma (book)

Cultural exchanges.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Parma (book)

Daeron inspected the curious object.  “Remarkably clever,” he said.  “How is it held together?”

“The parchment pages are folded and sewn together, like so.” Finrod demonstrated upon a piece of loose reed paper which the Sindar used for their scrolls.  “Then bundles are further arranged and bound, adding as many as are necessary to meet the desired length.”

Daeron nodded.  “I can see the benefits such would offer, despite its greater complexity.  If my people appreciated writing more, perhaps they might adopt such crafts.”

“I will gift you some blank volumes, if you like.”

Daeron could barely contain his excitement.

 

Quessë (feather)

Unsung heirlooms
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Quessë (feather)

The fabric, once a vibrant blue, had faded into a pale autumn sky.  The golden silk trim had little loops of pulled thread from being snagged again and again.  The elbows were patched thrice over.  Now the hem had torn at the corner, shredded into a feathery edge.

“Tsk, take this old thing off,” Andreth chided.  “I know not why you insist on wearing it still.”

But she did know; their father’s tunic, gifted by Nóm when Boromir inherited the title of Chieftain, it’s worth beyond mere cloth.

Andreth would mend it again, adding a sister’s love to its stitches.

Yanta (bridge)

One fear.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Yanta (bridge)

It might not have been a great philosophical question for the ages, but he found himself pondering the subtle distinction between ‘height’ and ‘depth’ which was newly impressing itself upon his senses.

Surely standing upon a mountain peak and standing upon a chasm’s edge was irrelevant in terms of the distance down; different perhaps only in the ability to see the bottom.  But that, as it was turning out, was distinction enough.

Celebrimbor swallowed past the lump in his throat and forced a weak smile.  

“Narvi, my friend, I find myself quite unable to cross, impressive as the bridge is.”

Formen (north)

Not every Dwarven craft was shared.
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Formen (north)

Telchar stroked his beard, gaze intent upon the sliver of metal on the oil’s surface.  He pinched it between his fingers and gave a twist.  Once he released his hold, it returned to its former orientation.

One year and countless attempts later, he held the final device, finished to his satisfaction.  Within a brass casing, a metal needle floated in an enclosed glass dish on a bed of oil.  He carried it from Nogrod to Menegroth and beyond, and it served him well.

So long as he kept it away from the forges, its orientation was stable and true: north.


Chapter End Notes

Angband, or "Iron Prison", may have been more than metaphorical.

Silmë (starlight)

The sunset was a surprise, too!
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Silmë (starlight)

The first sunset was as astonishing to Nuin as sunrise had been.  He spoke reassuring words to Ermon and Elmir, and the others who had awoken.  He taught them to make fire, and the Secondborn gathered around the light in fear of the darkness.

Nuin could not tell them the light would return, for he did not know.  But he had ever lived his life without it, and did not fear its leaving.  Instead he led Ermon and Elmir out beyond the reach of the fire’s light to cast their gazes upward, basking rather in the light of the stars.


Chapter End Notes

Nuin was an Elf in BoLT pt I who found the first Men while they still slept, watched over them, and eventually woke the first two, Ermon and Elmir, who saw the first sunrise itself.

Silmë nuquerna (starlight reversed)

Sunset brings another surprise
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Silmë nuquerna (starlight reversed)

Círdan dropped another report before Gil-galad, more despair than hope, but that spark was one he still clung to.

“A band of Men was seen to the south.  Survivors of Sirion, perhaps.  They fled before our ships could make landfall.”

Gil-galad clenched one hand into a fist, resisting the urge to hit something.  However, his reply was interrupted by a commotion from without.  They took to the balcony to look down on a murmuring crowd pointing at the sky.

It took them but a moment to see the cause.  An unexpected star in the west, bright against the new-come evening.

Lambë (tongue)

Thank you, Anérea, for the amazing inspiring twist on this prompt!
(Warning for unbearable cuteness.  Drabble)

Read Lambë (tongue)

Kurn enjoyed the warg pens, especially during whelping. The brief sliver of tenderness when the pups were cleaned by their mother as they squirmed and fought for a nipple stirred a brief, long-forgotten memory of being suckled by her own mother.

There were some older pups in the next pen, learning to use their adult teeth on the soft meat thrown in.  She picked one up by the scruff and it licked her face, tail wagging enthusiastically.  There was no chance of keeping it, it was bound for the riders, but she feared what fate awaited the small, happy creature.


Chapter End Notes

Kurn is my OC Orc who has made a previous appearance in No Dreams In Darkness written for the 2022 challenge X Marks the Spot

Anna (gift)

A battle of wills (with a body count)
(Warning: references to dead animals.  250 words)

Read Anna (gift)

The stomp of boots heralded Celegorm’s approach, as well as his mood.  A moment later he threw the door open, finding Curufin on a cushioned bench beside the fire.  His wrothful gaze landed first on his brother, then on the three cats which surrounded him - one sleeping soundly upon his lap, one curled before the fire, and the third cleaning itself.  None of them deigned to acknowledge Celegorm’s arrival.

“Which one of your little monsters is threatening me?” Celegorm demanded.

Curufin blinked slowly.  “Whatever could you mean?”

Celegorm proceeded to recount the increasingly mangled corpses of mice, birds, rats, and even a rabbit which had been appearing outside of his door over the last fortnight.

“So dramatic.  They aren’t threats.”  Curufin smiled sweetly.  “I’m sure they’re just leaving you little gifts.”

Celegorm narrowed his eyes at his brother’s three menaces.  He disliked them on principle, they killed without reason, not even eating their prey, and he particularly disliked them killing the birds.

He also particularly disliked finding dead animals on his doorstep.  He had stepped on one before he had fully awoken and that had left him in a particularly foul mood.

“Do something about it,” Celegorm snapped before turning on his heel and leaving.

Curufin waved dismissively after him and turned the page of his book.

A few days later, Celegorm leaned back and smiled as his brother’s shriek rang through the fortress.  He must have found the “little gift” Huan had left him from their last warg hunt.

Hyarmen (south)

Excerpts from a damaged journal, recovered from the wreckage of an Elven ship found far to the south.  Determined to be one of the seven which Turgon asked Círdan to build to seek aid from the Valar.

(No warnings.  In-universe artifact)

Read Hyarmen (south)

[previous pages missing or illegible]

-rgon, built by L[ord] Círdan of the Fala- [illegible] …rtnight west…rd.  Ossë, be merciful to the Falathrim sailo-

-dawn did not come, storms pummel…[illegible] was lost overboa-

-ny days since [illegible] land.  …[illegible] ship is in poor shape, but we persist- [illegible] -wind, ever the wind-

-give for a taste of fresh wat- [illegible] -ecall the journey over ice- [remainder of page missing, along with several following pages]

-outh.  Elbere[th] Stars here look stran… All is cold and wh[i]te.  …creatures… walk upright [illegible] half bird, half people.  …ing their cacophony.  [illegible] befriended one.  Named them morhelf [scribe’s note: black coat.]

[partial, largely smudged sketch of a penguin]

[multiple pages missing or damaged beyond legibility]

…[illegible] now to Mand[os]

[no further text appears to remain]


Chapter End Notes

Thank you, Polutrope, for reviewing this chapter <3

Ampa (hook)

First impressions
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Ampa (hook)

Celeborn did not care much for her at first.  Though beautiful, he thought her dull and proud.  He did not ken her quietude was born of grief, mistaking the horrors which inhabited her gaze as arrogance.

So successfully did he avoid her company that when, upon a bright summer morning, he saw her racing through the forest in but a tunic and loincloth, he did not know her.  But the unbound joy of her going awoke something within, and he cast off his robes and sandals and raced after her.

Before he knew it (or her), he had been hooked.
 

Óre (heart)

She was sitting in a tree...
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Óre (heart)

Túrin had been a quiet child, but thoughtful and quick to learn.  Nellas cherished the rare smiles she coaxed from him, the rarer laugh.

As he grew, he turned to heavier matters - swordplay and warfare, eager to follow his father’s path.  She mourned the loss of his companionship, but kept a close eye whenever he ventured into the woods.

His unexpected return from the marches made her heart sing.  How handsome he had become, full grown by his own measure.  How well he fought, despite his dishonorable opponent.

How deeply she loved him, knowing she would never win his heart.

Umbar (fate)

Mother to mother
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Umbar (fate)

She named him with tears in her eyes, holding her twins and knowing she would lose this one first.  An age later she would wonder if it was penance for two more twins.

Not knowing if she would be welcomed or shunned, she traveled north along the coast, along that fated path which had taken everything from her.  There in the frigid reaches was the tower built to reach a star.

Steeling herself, she rang the bell.  

“My name is Nerdanel.”

One mother to another they stood, until Elwing stepped aside and welcomed her in.

“I am glad you came.”

Anga (iron)

Master and apprentice
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Anga (iron)

It was a substance unknown to them before, for they did not forge at Cuiviénen as they came to do in Valinor, nor did their fires burn as hot.

Mahtan was drawn to the act of creation, watching in awe as the metal journeyed from black through red, orange, yellow, until it glowed white like a star in the forge, then to be shaped and molded.

It was as much the delight of Aulë to shepherd him in his craft as it was for Mahtan to be guided.

Ever were the words upon his lips: “Would you teach me, Master?”

Anto (mouth)

To go is to leave
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Anto (mouth)

Finduilas heeded little the words which fell from his lips, caring nothing for what promises or assurances were offered.  He spoke at length, yet for all that was said it was only to follow many paths to the same end: his leaving.

The pain which gripped her drowned out all else.  It was only when he had paused to wipe them away, thumb hovering at the edge of her mouth, that she realized her own tears and put voice to her grief.

“You go for your brother, and I cannot find fault in this.  But neither can I bear it.”
 

Arda (world)

If only it had been so simple
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Arda (world)

The two sat in silent companionship, as often they had done on Balar.  The gardens offered both serenity and privacy, and in time Celebrimbor said what had been on his mind.

“My grandfather sought to preserve the light of the trees.  In this was he foresighted, though his jealousy became his downfall.”

Gil-galad remained silent, waiting.

“I, too, seek preservation.  If I cannot unmar Arda, perhaps I can slow its decay.  But do me this kindness, cousin.  If you see me falling-”  Celebrimbor looked away.  

“I’ll not let you fall,” Gil-galad swore.  “Against pride or folly, I will hold you.”
 


Chapter End Notes

Does this count as a good one for Celebrimbor?  I'm skeptical... I mean it's at least ... 'less bad'?

Vilya (sky)

Before even the sun
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Vilya (sky)

It was not an aspiration, no long held desire drove him.  Until the moment, he had not thought of such a fate, and yet when the choice was put forth, he found he very much wanted to see all the wide leagues of the world again.

Was it not a hunter’s hunger to roam? Was it not always his way, to slip through the forests and find the deep hollows, to rout out the creatures of Melkor’s corruption?

This was merely a new hunter’s tool, Tilion mused, as he carried the newly crafted orb of Phanaikelūth into the dark sky.


Chapter End Notes

Phanaikelūth was the name of the moon in Valarin.

Anca (jaws)

I have learned you
(No warnings.  Drabble)

Read Anca (jaws)

Morwen did not show her feelings readily, but she felt them, even if others would accuse her of having none.  Húrin had learned the subtle signs of them in her bearing.

The way her shoulders relaxed when she was content, how her eyes crinkled just slightly even if she did not laugh, the silence of her anger, the set of her jaw when she was afraid: he knew them all as old companions.

It was how he knew to caress her just there to reassure her, to feel her unclench beneath his palm as he drew her into a kiss.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Amazing concept! I love the movement from description to a question to Fëanor directly addressing the question. I'm not sure of the intention, but it makes me think of the artist justifying their work to themselves rather than to any real critic. 

And, of course, the theme of the world beyond Valinor.... Very fitting to start this series (?) with Fëanor. 

'the artist justifying their work to themselves' - Oh I like that interpretation!  I was thinking it was criticism he'd received sort of swirling in his mind but I like the idea of imagined criticism, too.

Not sure how much of a series this will end up being, depends on how many of the prompts I end up doing I suppose, but thank you :)

Murien! Long time no see. Ah, the "what if"s, they never really fall silent, do they? And imagine an immortal life full of them...

Oh god that was visceral for me. Don't like tunnels!! Well done, powerful writing. I'd read more even though it's uncomfortable. Gwindor </3. 

Oh, powerful! Remarkable you got a poem into a drabble. Someone once described the transition from prose to poetry or music in drama as a moment where a scene's emotions become too big to be contained in prose. This definitely fits Fëanor at the time of canon. 

Great and varied series continues!

Feanor being very Feanor, poetically, poor Celebrimbor (and sympathetic Curufin!); nice and unusual Finrod and Daeron encounter (book lovers, unite!).... 

DAERON!! and FINROD!!  BOOK! hahaha aw I love this (obviously), just the kind of nerdy inquisitive mural respect I crave between these two.

What a real treat to read these glimpses: Fëanor's delight in his invention and indeed, others content to remain ensconced in the Light would not see their point.

That necklace! I'd like one please, I rarely wear jewellery but it sounds like one I would.

A sleepy Ent tickled by a squirrel is just so cute; a content Avar almost pitying those who left; Gwindor's first moment of freedom; Fëanor's rage, Finrod's precious possession (well, two of them); Celebrimbor... aww, sweetie, it's OK, we've all done it!

Love this collection! Well done! ♡

Ooooooh! Ok, I so very very much relate to the sentimentality in this! And your description is as fine as this worn, comfortable and comforting fabric. And, I just love seeing Andreth and Bregor share a moment of sibling intimacy. ♡

Hah! I am with Celebrimbor on this, if the bridge looks anything like it did in the films. These are all so clever, becoming a favourite little word snack in my day.

Another four great ones!

Andreth as sister, Celebrimbor sharing a fear with Narvi, Telchar making something that isn't a weapon, and protective Nuin: what a wonderful selection of characters and ideas!

Excellent! When you said you were writing about Gil-estel I had a feeling we'd be getting a POV we don't get in canon and I'm glad you picked these two. I love how it's a very real moment interrupted by a miracle.

Oh, I'm so with Celebrimbor here!! It's really not the sheer precipitous drops that are the problem, but what lies at the end of them. (Says she who, despite a lifelong fear of sheer precipitous drops, somehow found herself climbing sheer precipitous cliffs for fun for a lot of her life, admittedly initially motivated by a very hot guy, so maybe Narvi will do the same for Celebrimbor.)

Aha! So it's the ang in the northern reaches that draws the needle? Clever.

I love Nuin here — probably utterly confused himself by the odd light, but still being so reassuring to the now-awake sleepers. (I've never really thought about how surprising and terrifying the sunset may have been.)

... and an age later a new light in the sky.

Such a delight reading these, thank you!