Chasing Mirages by Russandol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Chasing Mirages

 

“Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the Sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur. In the beginning of Arda Melkor seduced him to his allegiance, and he became the greatest and most trusted of the servants of the Enemy, and the most perilous, for he could assume many forms, and for long if he willed he could still appear noble and beautiful, so as to deceive all but the most wary.

When Thangorodrim was broken and Morgoth overthrown, Sauron put on his fair hue again and did obeisance to Eönwë the herald of Manwë, and abjured all his evil deeds. And some hold that this was not at first falsely done, but that Sauron in truth repented, if only out of fear, being dismayed by the fall of Morgoth and the great wrath of the Lords of the West. But it was not within the power of Eönwë to pardon those of his own order, and he commanded Sauron to return to Aman and there receive the judgement of Manwë. Then Sauron was ashamed, and he was unwilling to return in humiliation and to receive from the Valar a sentence, it might be, of long servitude in proof of his good faith; for under Morgoth his power had been great. Therefore when Eönwë departed he hid himself in Middle-earth; and he fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong.”

“Of The Rings of Power and The Third Age”, The Silmarillion, J.R.R Tolkien

 

Warning: This tale describes a m/m relationship including sexual content and D/S themes. Please heed the overall story warnings.

Translations, quotes, etc. are provided at the end of each chapter, but generally only the first time a new term appears in the story. A list of characters, place names and glossary is also available in Appendix B.

Acknowledgements: I wish to thank elfscribe for her patient and insightful beta reading and unflagging support and to pandemonium_213 for encouraging me along from the very first draft long before I began posting, as well as for providing fabulous feedback. Thanks are due also to a bunch of folk at the Lizard Council (that is, kymahalei, elfscribe, erulisse, oshun, aearwen, surgicalsteel, Scarlet, pandemonium, Darth Fingon, Elf of cave, kimberleighe, vanime18431, dracoena, DrummerWench, grey gazania, Spiced Wine, sanna, lilithlessfair, alassante, crowdaughter, elleth and windsurfbabe. I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone!) who have commented and nit picked for many months. Special mention goes to SurgicalSteel for expert advice on injuries caused by different types of weapons and to Darth Fingon for help with both Quenya and Sindarin names.

All remaining errors are my own!

My vision of Sauron as a far more complex character than a villainous Dark Lord has no doubt been strongly influenced by the amazing The Apprentice by pandemonium_213 where she describes his clever seduction of the elves of Ost-in-Edhil using the arcane knowledge he possesses, and by the gripping tale Elegy for Númenor by elfscribe, where Annatar is superbly presented as a master manipulator, giving it all to the task of beguiling Ar-Pharazôn. These are two of the works that irreversibly hooked me into the Silmarillion fandom. For a little crossover to this latter novel, here's the link to my story Hospitality.

And here's two wonderful portraits of Eönwë, on the left, in the distant land of Kiinlúum, by Lyra, and on the right, by Alasse:

Eonwe, by Lyra Eönwë, by Alasse

 

Thanks, pandemonium_213, for the SWG 5th Birthday icon to Eönwë. He is most grateful for your encouragement...

You Made Me Love You (I didn't want to do it)

 

Disclaimer: Yes, Tolkien owns his characters, though often I dream they are mine... When the dream is over, they go back to their lives.

I make no money from them but then, most of the best things in life are free. All I'd dare ask is that if my stories entertain you, let me know by leaving a review.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The story of Eönwë, Maia of Manwë, and Mairon Aulendil after the War of Wrath. A tale of darkness, light, love and betrayal over the Ages of Eä.

Tolkien simply told us that [Sauron] fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong. But this line is unsatisfactory on so many levels that it became a challenge to create a plausible background story for Sauron's fall, from the time Eönwë returns to Aman to face the Valar over his decision to free one of Morgoth's most dreaded minions to Sauron's final fate, long after the destruction of the Ring.

Chasing Mirages banner

B2MeM 2011 and 2012 participant 

MEFA 2011 1st Place - Incomplete: Drama & Smaug's Treasure (but complete since then!)

 

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Anárion, Celebrimbor, Elrond, Eönwë, Erestor, Finarfin, Gil-galad, Glorfindel, Maglor, Mandos, Manwë, Melian, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: B2MeM 2011, B2MeM 2012, Fifth Birthday Celebration

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Character Death, Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Rape/Nonconsensual Sex, Sexual Content (Graphic), Torture, Violence (Graphic)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 40 Word Count: 174, 416
Posted on 12 July 2010 Updated on 23 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Eönwë, Herald of Manwë, returns to Aman after the War of Wrath.

 

Please note that translations for elvish terms (or words from other languages, as the story progresses) are usually listed at the end of each chapter and in the Appendix B. List of Characters, Place Names and Other Terms.

 

Eönwë sails to Middle-earth.

 

Eönwë arrives at his destination and meets the foe he's been commanded to seek.

 

Eönwë settles in Kiinlúum, a far realm of the East of Middle-earth.

 

Mairon drops the bait, and Eönwë... well, read at your own peril if you wish to find out.

 

Eönwë asks a favour from Mairon. Unfortunately for him, events do not work out as planned.

 

Eönwë and Mairon become more intimately acquainted.

 

The day after, Eönwë asks many questions, and Mairon provides answers.

 

Eönwë visits Mairon in his workshop and they strike a deal.

 

The years go by, Eönwë receives a present and Mairon another alias!

 

Eönwë makes a dreadful mistake and must pay the price.

 

Eönwë is summoned by the king and learns the whole truth.

 

Eönwë gets his... revenge?

 

Eönwë finds a new balance in his life in Kiinlúum.

 

Eönwë has to deal with the passing of Time.

This chapter fits two prompts of B2MeM 2011.

Valinor Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Rivendell Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011

Eönwë proves his faith in his former foe.

This chapter fits three prompts of B2MeM 2011.

Nan Elmoth Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Mithrim Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Bree-lands Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011

Eönwë's bliss is shadowed by foresight. What will prevail: fate or free will?

 

A summons is issued, Eönwë makes a decision and Mairon... well, Mairon surprises Eönwë.

This chapter fits two of the prompts of B2MeM 2011.

Losgar Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Nargothrond Passport Stamp

War escalates in Kiinlúum. Mairon and Eönwë play their parts.

Thank you to wonderful SurgicalSteel, who provided expert medical advice for the relevant portions of this chapter.

 

Eönwë faces the Doomsman of the Valar.

This chapter fits a prompt of B2MeM 2011.

Mordor Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011

Eönwë returns to Middle-earth.

 

Eönwë gets into trouble in Lindon.

 

A big thank you to Darth Fingon for his theory about the etymology of a particular obscure term.

 

Following Elrond's revelation, Eönwë stays in Lindon.

 

Eönwë and Elrond get to know each other over the years.

 

Elrond surprises Eönwë; years later, he has visitors.

 

Ereinion makes kingly decisions; a couple of centuries later, Eönwë receives exciting news.

 

Eönwë answers Mairon’s message.

 

Annatar talks about ships and wings; Mairon gets jealous.

 

Elrond decides it is time to travel back to Lindon.

 

Eönwë receives a message from Mairon, and Gil-galad from Celebrimbor.

 

Sauron shows his Dark Lord’s colours.

 

This chapter fits several B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Controversial - I22: Fate: Free Will or Preordained?
This Means War! - O67: Sauron vs. Celebrimbor

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Shattered dreams, lies and more...

 

This chapter fits several B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Discoveries - B4: The Rings of Power
Emotions - B9: Love, B14: Pain, I18: Grief, N33: Courage and G51: Cruelty

B2MeM 2012 Participant

 

After the events of Ost-in-Edhil, life goes on.

Thank you, elfscribe, for permission to do the little crossovers with Elegy.

 

This chapter fits one B2MeM 2012 prompt:

Emotions - O64: Horror

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Following an unlikely victory, a new age begins; darkness grows again slowly until it hits home.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Artifacts & Weapons - B7: Narsil
Powers & Underpowers - B7: Irmo (Lórien): nightmare
This Means War! - N41: Sauron vs. Isildur
Weapons & Warfare - I27: Mace
Archery in Arda - B6: Wood elves of Mirkwood
Emotions - G59: Hope

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Erestor is not happy about the decision to send Frodo to destroy the Ring in the fires of Orodruin. Eönwë makes plans.

 

Special thanks to SurgicalSteel for her invaluable advice on knife injuries.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompt:

Discoveries - G51: Songs of Power

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

The two ages of Eönwë’s banishment come to an end.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Emotions - B1: Joy
Emotions - I21: Awe

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Eönwë travels to Ithilien, before paying another visit to the Moritarnon.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Controversial Topics - O72: Do Balrogs have wings?
Powers and Underpowers - B15: Námo (Mandos): fear of the dead/ghost

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Eönwë stands again before Manwë, and a doom is spoken (aka “all you ever wanted to tell Manwë and Námo to their faces but never dared to.”) This story finally reaches the end... for now.

A diamond-encrusted gold medal goes to elfscribe, who betaed this chapter twice in full and many other times in portions, because I tweaked and tweaked and kept tweaking. Thank you so much, my dear. You’ve made it all possible.

Thank you also to the bunch of assorted reptilians at the Lizard Council who encouraged me, offered great advice and feedback, and gorged on nits over the two years it’s taken me to travel this journey.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompt:

Controversial Topics - B7: Nothing is evil in the beginning...

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Entries in italics are described or listed in at least one of the Tolkien canon sources given below.

Dates are given as “year, age” and may differ in some cases from those listed in the “Tale of Years” in The Lord of the Rings, if the events have followed the version described in Unfinished Tales or The History of Middle-earth.

Warning: it may contain mild spoilers!

 

This story takes place in a variety of settings, spanning several ages of Arda. Inevitably, an assortment of terms and names from several languages has made its way into the tale.

For consistency I have assumed all along that Eönwë speaks Quenya in his inner narrative, even if he is likely to be addressing someone in a different language, like Sindarin, during a particular scene.

For Yucatec, on which the invented language of Kiinlúum is based, I have relied on the “Diccionario español - maya en línea” to find words, some of which I have used without modification, while in other cases I have adapted them or combined them to create my own names or terms.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Hi again Yuu,

I hope you can forgive me for taking so long to respond to you. We've been having a few technical issues with the archve and users have reported that notifications sometimes don't work. This must have been the case now, and I was not aware of your comment until I logged in today to work on the newsletter. Now that I found it, wow, I'm so happy! I'm honoured that you regard Chasing Mirages so highly. I lived with the story for several years of my life, almost an obsession until it was finished, and it means a lot to me. I feel deeply touched by how it has become your favourite book. 

Why did I imagine the Maiar as made of energy? Because I couldn't work out any alternative for spirits with a presence in the universe that could shape it to their will, because they were powerful but lacking a physical shape, as Tolkien said, but I couldn't ever imagine them as ghosts, except perhaps if they were very weak. I'm so pleased I managed to represent them in a way that made sense to you. While I was posting the last few chapters I had people tell me they could not really enjoy a story with characters not made of flesh and bone...

I'd love to see a picture of the book. I haven't ever printed it myself but I can believe it when you say it's a super thick tome, LOL. I'm sorry your friend wasn't able to enjoy it, but I appreciate it's not going to appeal to a large audience, not even within the Silmarillion fandom.

Which makes your "rhapsodies" all the more precious and welcome. Thnak you again for letting me know how you enjoyed my story! 

Hello, i know i am "a bit" late but i simply had to make an account cause i wanted to congratulate you on this fantastic work you made, hats off to you! :-) One of the best stories i ever read, loved it! I love happy endings but i am aware that in Mairon's case that would have to be bittersweet ending at best considering everything he has done during the ages...sigh

You'll forgive me but if i can find only 1 thing that just doesn't sound right to me but that's more on JRRT then you cause he left so much ambiguities, loopholes and ,in general, little info about Ainur so we have to guess and use our own imagination: relationship between Eonwe and Manwe. I mean of course we know about children of Illuvatar but on the other side i always imagined Maiar in the service of Valar as their own adopted children and Eonwe as Manwe's not just herald and bannerman, head of Maiar but also his favorite son. The idea that Manwe would strongly punish him or threat him harshly in any way just doesn't seem believable to me considering what we know about Manwe and his character. Mandos on the other side is an ass and a creep lol with his almost sadistic dooms and whatnot but i doubt even he would dare to harm/punish/treat Eonwe in such a way considering who he is.

Of course the main problem is that we have to try to make conjecture based on a so little data from Silmarillion about these characters and their relationship.

Anyway, sorry for this little rant, thank you once again for giving us Chasing Mirages, please keep up the good work and all the best!

 

Hi Gforce6,
Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

You are right, Tolkien left many gaps and loopholes with ample room for interpretation. I took full advantage of that! :-)

I hear you about Manwë, even though in the published Silmarillion Eönwë is no longer Manwë's son, as in an earlier,  discarded version. I purposefully had Námo, Doomsman of the Valar, deciding on the punishment, neatly preventing a potential conflict between justice and kinship ties. Námo had no reason to be lenient and, let's face it, Eönwë had had a jaw-dropping lapse of judgement when he let Sauron go, and should really face some consequences for that lapse, not just a token reprimand, son of Manwë or not.

For all we know, manipulative!Mandos might have assured Manwë the punishment would be mild. He had his own agenda all through the story, after all.

Again, thanks for taking the time to tell me you loved my story!

 

No, thank YOU for this great story you gave us! I am only sorry i didn't read it earlier. It took me few weeks to finish it, i was reading slowly cause i simply didn't want it to end :-)

Speaking of Manwe, what often comes to my mind is that part when JRRT himself said "Manwë appears at times almost a simpleton compared to his brother Melkor"...i mean this actually explains a lot of things (no wonder his adopted son Eonwe wasn't any better) and how he out of naivete, indifference and incompetence screwed up Middle Earth during the 1st and 2nd Age. I mean he wasn't just a king of immortal West, he was the High king of Arda and he threw ME and mortals who live there to the wolves under the guise of non-interference. I am not surprised at all there is no any indication in Silmarillion Eonwe wasn't even slightly reprimanded for preposterously letting Sauron walk away, it perfectly fits with Manwe's blasé attitude towards ME in general, he probably welcomed him back with a hug and kiss haha. Only during the 3rd Age he finally got his sh*t together and did the right things: sending Istari, resurrecting Glorfindel and sending him over there to help, keeping eagles on standby etc. I mean i love Manwe but it is what it is...lol

What i think would be interesting if Manwe decided to simply send Eonwe to ME to look for Sauron and keep an eye on him over there (cause 2nd Age in Valinor sounds boring as hell, Eonwe is probably bored to death over there, escorting guests in Ilmarin or whatever). So Eonwe with his full powers vs Mairon in ME, that would be popcorn worthy! I highly doubt he would be submissive to him like poor humbled Eonwe was in your beautiful story haha but that would probably require even bigger changes in the canon...makes you wonder.

All the best!

Hi Gforce6,

It never occurred to me to have Eönwë with his full powers pitted against Mairon. My goal was to bridge gaps in the canon, but the story line you suggest would have as a minimum verged on AU, as you say. 

I guess someone may have written something along the lines of what you propose already? Perhaps there would be more scope for a non-AU confrontation between Sauron and other Maiar during the very first battles before the Trees.

All the best,

Russa