Chasing Mirages by Russandol

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Chasing Mirages

 

“Of old there was Sauron the Maia, whom the Sindar in Beleriand named Gorthaur. In the beginning of Arda Melkor seduced him to his allegiance, and he became the greatest and most trusted of the servants of the Enemy, and the most perilous, for he could assume many forms, and for long if he willed he could still appear noble and beautiful, so as to deceive all but the most wary.

When Thangorodrim was broken and Morgoth overthrown, Sauron put on his fair hue again and did obeisance to Eönwë the herald of Manwë, and abjured all his evil deeds. And some hold that this was not at first falsely done, but that Sauron in truth repented, if only out of fear, being dismayed by the fall of Morgoth and the great wrath of the Lords of the West. But it was not within the power of Eönwë to pardon those of his own order, and he commanded Sauron to return to Aman and there receive the judgement of Manwë. Then Sauron was ashamed, and he was unwilling to return in humiliation and to receive from the Valar a sentence, it might be, of long servitude in proof of his good faith; for under Morgoth his power had been great. Therefore when Eönwë departed he hid himself in Middle-earth; and he fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong.”

“Of The Rings of Power and The Third Age”, The Silmarillion, J.R.R Tolkien

 

Warning: This tale describes a m/m relationship including sexual content and D/S themes. Please heed the overall story warnings.

Translations, quotes, etc. are provided at the end of each chapter, but generally only the first time a new term appears in the story. A list of characters, place names and glossary is also available in Appendix B.

Acknowledgements: I wish to thank elfscribe for her patient and insightful beta reading and unflagging support and to pandemonium_213 for encouraging me along from the very first draft long before I began posting, as well as for providing fabulous feedback. Thanks are due also to a bunch of folk at the Lizard Council (that is, kymahalei, elfscribe, erulisse, oshun, aearwen, surgicalsteel, Scarlet, pandemonium, Darth Fingon, Elf of cave, kimberleighe, vanime18431, dracoena, DrummerWench, grey gazania, Spiced Wine, sanna, lilithlessfair, alassante, crowdaughter, elleth and windsurfbabe. I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone!) who have commented and nit picked for many months. Special mention goes to SurgicalSteel for expert advice on injuries caused by different types of weapons and to Darth Fingon for help with both Quenya and Sindarin names.

All remaining errors are my own!

My vision of Sauron as a far more complex character than a villainous Dark Lord has no doubt been strongly influenced by the amazing The Apprentice by pandemonium_213 where she describes his clever seduction of the elves of Ost-in-Edhil using the arcane knowledge he possesses, and by the gripping tale Elegy for Númenor by elfscribe, where Annatar is superbly presented as a master manipulator, giving it all to the task of beguiling Ar-Pharazôn. These are two of the works that irreversibly hooked me into the Silmarillion fandom. For a little crossover to this latter novel, here's the link to my story Hospitality.

And here's two wonderful portraits of Eönwë, on the left, in the distant land of Kiinlúum, by Lyra, and on the right, by Alasse:

Eonwe, by Lyra Eönwë, by Alasse

 

Thanks, pandemonium_213, for the SWG 5th Birthday icon to Eönwë. He is most grateful for your encouragement...

You Made Me Love You (I didn't want to do it)

 

Disclaimer: Yes, Tolkien owns his characters, though often I dream they are mine... When the dream is over, they go back to their lives.

I make no money from them but then, most of the best things in life are free. All I'd dare ask is that if my stories entertain you, let me know by leaving a review.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The story of Eönwë, Maia of Manwë, and Mairon Aulendil after the War of Wrath. A tale of darkness, light, love and betrayal over the Ages of Eä.

Tolkien simply told us that [Sauron] fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong. But this line is unsatisfactory on so many levels that it became a challenge to create a plausible background story for Sauron's fall, from the time Eönwë returns to Aman to face the Valar over his decision to free one of Morgoth's most dreaded minions to Sauron's final fate, long after the destruction of the Ring.

Chasing Mirages banner

B2MeM 2011 and 2012 participant 

MEFA 2011 1st Place - Incomplete: Drama & Smaug's Treasure (but complete since then!)

 

Major Characters: Original Character(s), Anárion, Celebrimbor, Elrond, Eönwë, Erestor, Finarfin, Gil-galad, Glorfindel, Maglor, Mandos, Manwë, Melian, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Slash/Femslash

Challenges: B2MeM 2011, B2MeM 2012, Fifth Birthday Celebration

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Character Death, Expletive Language, Mature Themes, Rape/Nonconsensual Sex, Sexual Content (Graphic), Torture, Violence (Graphic)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 40 Word Count: 174, 416
Posted on 12 July 2010 Updated on 23 April 2023

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

Eönwë, Herald of Manwë, returns to Aman after the War of Wrath.

 

Please note that translations for elvish terms (or words from other languages, as the story progresses) are usually listed at the end of each chapter and in the Appendix B. List of Characters, Place Names and Other Terms.

 

Eönwë sails to Middle-earth.

 

Eönwë arrives at his destination and meets the foe he's been commanded to seek.

 

Eönwë settles in Kiinlúum, a far realm of the East of Middle-earth.

 

Mairon drops the bait, and Eönwë... well, read at your own peril if you wish to find out.

 

Eönwë asks a favour from Mairon. Unfortunately for him, events do not work out as planned.

 

Eönwë and Mairon become more intimately acquainted.

 

The day after, Eönwë asks many questions, and Mairon provides answers.

 

Eönwë visits Mairon in his workshop and they strike a deal.

 

The years go by, Eönwë receives a present and Mairon another alias!

 

Eönwë makes a dreadful mistake and must pay the price.

 

Eönwë is summoned by the king and learns the whole truth.

 

Eönwë gets his... revenge?

 

Eönwë finds a new balance in his life in Kiinlúum.

 

Eönwë has to deal with the passing of Time.

This chapter fits two prompts of B2MeM 2011.

Valinor Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Rivendell Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011

Eönwë proves his faith in his former foe.

This chapter fits three prompts of B2MeM 2011.

Nan Elmoth Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Mithrim Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Bree-lands Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011

Eönwë's bliss is shadowed by foresight. What will prevail: fate or free will?

 

A summons is issued, Eönwë makes a decision and Mairon... well, Mairon surprises Eönwë.

This chapter fits two of the prompts of B2MeM 2011.

Losgar Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011Nargothrond Passport Stamp

War escalates in Kiinlúum. Mairon and Eönwë play their parts.

Thank you to wonderful SurgicalSteel, who provided expert medical advice for the relevant portions of this chapter.

 

Eönwë faces the Doomsman of the Valar.

This chapter fits a prompt of B2MeM 2011.

Mordor Passport Stamp B2MeM 2011

Eönwë returns to Middle-earth.

 

Eönwë gets into trouble in Lindon.

 

A big thank you to Darth Fingon for his theory about the etymology of a particular obscure term.

 

Following Elrond's revelation, Eönwë stays in Lindon.

 

Eönwë and Elrond get to know each other over the years.

 

Elrond surprises Eönwë; years later, he has visitors.

 

Ereinion makes kingly decisions; a couple of centuries later, Eönwë receives exciting news.

 

Eönwë answers Mairon’s message.

 

Annatar talks about ships and wings; Mairon gets jealous.

 

Elrond decides it is time to travel back to Lindon.

 

Eönwë receives a message from Mairon, and Gil-galad from Celebrimbor.

 

Sauron shows his Dark Lord’s colours.

 

This chapter fits several B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Controversial - I22: Fate: Free Will or Preordained?
This Means War! - O67: Sauron vs. Celebrimbor

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Shattered dreams, lies and more...

 

This chapter fits several B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Discoveries - B4: The Rings of Power
Emotions - B9: Love, B14: Pain, I18: Grief, N33: Courage and G51: Cruelty

B2MeM 2012 Participant

 

After the events of Ost-in-Edhil, life goes on.

Thank you, elfscribe, for permission to do the little crossovers with Elegy.

 

This chapter fits one B2MeM 2012 prompt:

Emotions - O64: Horror

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Following an unlikely victory, a new age begins; darkness grows again slowly until it hits home.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Artifacts & Weapons - B7: Narsil
Powers & Underpowers - B7: Irmo (Lórien): nightmare
This Means War! - N41: Sauron vs. Isildur
Weapons & Warfare - I27: Mace
Archery in Arda - B6: Wood elves of Mirkwood
Emotions - G59: Hope

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Erestor is not happy about the decision to send Frodo to destroy the Ring in the fires of Orodruin. Eönwë makes plans.

 

Special thanks to SurgicalSteel for her invaluable advice on knife injuries.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompt:

Discoveries - G51: Songs of Power

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

The two ages of Eönwë’s banishment come to an end.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Emotions - B1: Joy
Emotions - I21: Awe

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Eönwë travels to Ithilien, before paying another visit to the Moritarnon.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompts:

Controversial Topics - O72: Do Balrogs have wings?
Powers and Underpowers - B15: Námo (Mandos): fear of the dead/ghost

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Eönwë stands again before Manwë, and a doom is spoken (aka “all you ever wanted to tell Manwë and Námo to their faces but never dared to.”) This story finally reaches the end... for now.

A diamond-encrusted gold medal goes to elfscribe, who betaed this chapter twice in full and many other times in portions, because I tweaked and tweaked and kept tweaking. Thank you so much, my dear. You’ve made it all possible.

Thank you also to the bunch of assorted reptilians at the Lizard Council who encouraged me, offered great advice and feedback, and gorged on nits over the two years it’s taken me to travel this journey.

 

This chapter fits the following B2MeM 2012 prompt:

Controversial Topics - B7: Nothing is evil in the beginning...

B2MeM 21012 Participant

 

Entries in italics are described or listed in at least one of the Tolkien canon sources given below.

Dates are given as “year, age” and may differ in some cases from those listed in the “Tale of Years” in The Lord of the Rings, if the events have followed the version described in Unfinished Tales or The History of Middle-earth.

Warning: it may contain mild spoilers!

 

This story takes place in a variety of settings, spanning several ages of Arda. Inevitably, an assortment of terms and names from several languages has made its way into the tale.

For consistency I have assumed all along that Eönwë speaks Quenya in his inner narrative, even if he is likely to be addressing someone in a different language, like Sindarin, during a particular scene.

For Yucatec, on which the invented language of Kiinlúum is based, I have relied on the “Diccionario español - maya en línea” to find words, some of which I have used without modification, while in other cases I have adapted them or combined them to create my own names or terms.

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


A new chapter! A little less ovrwhelmed this time, due to not reading the entire story at once. :P Somehow I keep hoping Elrond at least starts suspecting something about "Erestor" not really being an Elf after all ( though I suppos he kind of is - at the momnt), but that would be unlikely. I like how Elrond is not some grand lord already, and though I never really gave a thought to the fact that his being raised by Feanorians could work as a disadventage, politically, that makes sense. 

No, I don't think Elrond can actually guess the truth in a million years (who would?), but he's certainly not trusting Erestor/Eönwë at this point. As to Elrond's background, it's easy to forget how he is related to the Feanorians, if only by adoption. I guess there would be all types of prejudices against the kinslayers. Being a relative of the king must have obviously helped, but it may have also caused resentement, who knows. I can't even begin to imagine the politics of such a complex society, but Gil-galad must have had his hands full.

I'm glad you survived the overdose, Aerlinn. The pace should be a bit more sedate for you now... Thank you!

I'm quite indignant on Eönwë's behalf.  What an appalling thing for Manwë and Námo to do, on so many counts.  As always, I'm glad to see the inevitable shortcomings of the supposed "good guys" brought to light; yet there's also just enough of a hint of sympathy in Námo that we can believe that the Valar thing they're doing the right thing (perhaps it's more refusal to expand their minds and think about things any way other than their own, than outright malice, that we can accuse them of). 

As a general comment, one of the reasons I'm so fond of this story is the themes you address--predestination, the relationship of an incorporeal being to a corporeal manifestation--of which this chapter is an exemplar.

And on another note, assuming one can post URLs here, there's a song I'm obsessed with lately which reminds me of many of the darker characters and situations in Tolkien's world; but it struck me as particularly suited to this story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OblUbO_6MRg

 

No, the Valar are not malicious, they just believe to be righteous, pursuing the will of Eru in a very blatant "the end justifies the means" attitude. Not too different to other performances, like dooming all of the Noldor, or sinking Numenor (or allegedly invoking Eru to do so). Eönwë's misgivings, which Mairon has been feeding for a long time, now prove to be true and it's no surprise that he feels betrayed.

The fate vs. choice debate is a difficult one in the Silmarillion, with the Music being a sort of script for history to follow, and the Second-born having the gift of free choice - but I can't believe the Maiar or Elves were just predestined to their roles in comparison. The problem is that the Valar's harsh but well-meaning actions may trigger unexpected results, as we know, and they might have been better off leaving events to run their course.

Anyway, I am smiling here. I'm so pleased that you like the story so much that you've even given it a soundtrack! I haven't come across that song before, but I'm off to listen to it right now. Thanks a lot for your review, Huinare!

Of your writings I have first and foremost the utmost praise and apreciation for in them is the echoing truth of the song of the Ainur as it was and is felt in the body of the works of Tolkien. Here is the radient candle of a dawn ere its fading and the fading of said dawn born aloft the wings and terbulations of an era profoundly reached in a style and mode which is fluid and refreshing, a noble and noted piece of literature which ought by any reader of such works to be reviewed time and time again. Hail noble elf friend, this is your Silmaril.

Hi Erurainon! I'm very pleased that you believe the story to be in the spirit of Tolkien, given the themes it deals with and the way I've tweaked canon to fit my plot and characters with different motivations to those implied by Tolkien. Keeping true to the fabulous world he built has always been my intention, even if I add my own interpretation. A Silmaril? Well, I'm pouring a lot into this story and making sure it's as polished as I can possibly make it, but there's a lot I need to learn about writing.

Thank you very much for reading it and for letting me know your thoughts. It's highly rewarding to know this story has touched you in some way. I hope you keep enjoying it until the end!

 

Of course I love it, you already knew that.  I like the expansion that you did to the meeting with Makalaure, it adds to the entire story.  I will admit that I will be sorry to see this long tale come to an end.  You reeled me in many months ago and I never wanted to leave the hook.  

 

- Erulisse (one L)

Awesomely creative resolution of Eönwë's new identity in Middle-Earth. 

I very much enjoyed your descriptions of Gil-galad's court.  And you've portrayed Elrond so well!

I practically facepalmed at how close Eönwë came to being on his way, only to be foiled yet again by rather strange means..

I'm pleased you liked it, that identity twist was at the core of the original plot-bunny. I was a bit unsure of entering proper canon territory again after spending so long in an invented place during an empty period of the history of Middle-earth. As to how close Eönwë got to making a run for it, no doubt the Valar expected it. Poor him!

Thanks for commenting, Huinare!

 

(I finally got myself up to date on this story a week or so ago, but I've been remiss about reviewing lately...barrage-o-reviews ahoy!)

"Mairon would certainly enjoy meeting this man..." 
Oh no you di'n't!  <--- Yes, I actually said something to that effect when I read that tragically funny bit of foreshadowing.

I'm really enjoying the complex political situations this story touches on, especially Elrond's thoughts at the end of the chapter.  You interweave and balance the personal and political drama quite well. 

It's strange to be in a position of telling a story of which the readers already know the conclusion but the narrator doesn't. It leads to such moments of "Oh, no!" I've tried not to overdo it, but this one had to be done, I'm pleased you like the politics and the details of the world beyond the characters themselves, and I'm very happy you're still reading. Thank you for staying with me and for reviewing, Huinare!

I found the section about Eönwë's wanderings to be particularly effective.

"I had come into being outside and before Time, free as thought, fast as light; now I lived as one of the Children, a mere speck bound to the surface of Arda. The endless leagues on the paths of Endórë had taught me to open my eyes again to the beauty of the world and the care I owed its people since the days I saw it sung into existence. My resentment at Manwë’s injustice had made me blind to this joyous duty."

I think I've mentioned already that the concept of beings like the Ainur coming to experience the benefits and drawbacks of containment within a fixed form is of particular fascination to me, so I have to love this paragraph on that account.  Then there's the wisdom it conveys of letting go of grudges and attachments which are keeping one from living...been there, done that, still doing that!

Anyway, I love your Elrond, he's always easy to picture vividly.  His generosity and his crankiness are charmingly proportioned.  Your descriptions of the wine's influence on him are inspired.  "...on wings powered by the potency of the Harlindon white."  LOL.  Not that I've been there or done that...no indeed..*hem*

Hey, yes, we've all done the wine thing! It's good you can relate to my drunk Elrond - yes, craniness is a great word for him. As to the resentment and personal grudges getting in the way of enjoyment, well, it's sadly true for everyone, Ainur or men. But Eönwë in this story is an optimistic fellow who can appreciate the goodness in others and the beauty of the world. This will help him later.

Thanks again!

"I had briefly considered whether this bold leader could be Mairon, but I had swiftly discarded the idea."  Meep.  It is rather anxiety-provoking (and I mean that in a good way, in that it's effective) that Eönwë isn't seeing what's afoot here.  And I do like the detail of him coining the name Mordor.  Mm, delicious bitter irony.

You've evoked Ost-in-Edhil quite well, too, though by the time the story got us there I was mainly craning my neck and looking around for Mairon.  =D  I must admit I was happy to see him again, although we all know this can't ultimately be going anywhere too good...

I was mainly craning my neck and looking around for Mairon. He he, that made me laugh. It took a lot of self-restraint not to rush the writing of the Lindon chapters because I, too, wanted to get back to Mairon. I'm really pleased you liked the bit about Mordor, because that was a last minute addition. I realised that it would not necessarily be called by that name at that time, before they discovered Sauron was there, unless the name was given because of the actual look of the place.

I'm so excited you're enjoying this tale! Thank you. I'll be posting the next chapter within the next couple of days.

 

Hi Russa, I'm reposting my 2011 MEFA review for this fic.  I didn't think you'd mind. *g*  Congrats on winning First Place.

Although Sauron is a prime mover of events in Middle-earth’s Second and Third Ages, Tolkien rarely gives us a glimpse into his character or motivations beyond his all consuming desire for power and control. For the most part, he is merely the personification of Evil, dark and fathomless. Surely, there’s more to Sauron’s story.

Russandol’s marvelous WIP "Chasing Mirages," told from the point of view of Manwë’s herald Eönwë, fills in the gaps of Sauron’s motivations and makes sense of a number of his choices. It opens with the Valar chastising Eönwë for permitting Sauron to escape after the War of Wrath. Although a hero of the war, Eönwë is unfairly blamed, sentenced to take on an elvish hröa and exiled to Middle-earth with the mission of finding his former friend and convincing him to return to face the Valar’s judgement. After much searching, Eönwë finds Sauron (who calls himself Mairon) among mortal men in the author’s invented far eastern land Kiinlúum, modeled after the ancient Mayans. Unexpectedly, Mairon seems reformed, living in harmony with his hosts as a wealthy adviser to their King. It doesn’t take long for Eönwë to fall for Mairon’s beauty, his beguiling and powerful personality, and compelling arguments. ‘Light it is, not darkness, that casts shadows to lead one astray. Light can unveil truth or mask lies’ Mairon entices Eönwë into a dance of dominance and submission, pleasure and pain that challenges Eönwë's loyalties and world-view as he and Mairon become lovers. This is something the Valar cannot tolerate and, ironically, their interference sows the seeds for Mairon's fall back into darkness.

Ambitious and epic in scope, Mirages covers the main events of the Second and Third Ages. Russa has meticulously researched the canon and seamlessly enfolds it into her story. Eönwë and Mairon's relationship explains some events not covered in the books. For example, what happened to Sauron in the long period between his disappearance after the War of Wrath and his reappearance as an adviser to the Gwaith i Mírdain at Ost-in-Edhil? The story imagines an answer. Still in progress, Mirages promises to take us all the way to Sauron's final defeat when Frodo destroys the Ring, and beyond.

I really love the characterizations. Eönwë is rather naive and strait-laced at first, but valiant and honorable. He always tries to do the right thing and is justifiably hurt and angered by the Valar’s actions. As a lonely outcast, he falls hard for Mairon, gives him his all, and eventually suffers a terrible conflict of love and loyalty. Yet he is no push-over and comes across as a strong and admirable individual who grows in character over time. You'll love Eönwë’s disguise as he becomes part of Gil-galad’s court and later is witness to the disaster in Ost-in-Edhil. Russa’s characterization of Sauron is spot on. He’s brilliant, charismatic, sensual, but also autocratic, ruthless, and controlling. Above all controlling. The BDSM nature of Mairon’s relationships is not at all gratuitous, but rather essential to his characterization. Eönwë and Mairon’s relationship is rife with betrayal and trust issues. Mairon’s love for Eönwë becomes both his possibility for redemption and his weakness. This helps humanize him and makes his and Eönwë's story all the more tragic. Russa does not sugar-coat Mairon’s misdeeds — this is a not a story for the faint-hearted — yet I appreciate her painting Sauron in shades of grey rather than all black. It's a tribute to Russa's characterizations and the compelling nature of her story that I am on the edge of my seat, rooting for Eönwë and Mairon’s relationship to succeed, even though, given what we know of Sauron, that is unlikely.

Russa’s colorful descriptions of Kiinlúum, her marvelous re-imagining of Lindon and Ost-in-Edhil, and her depiction of minor characters have enriched my experience of Middle-Earth. Her prose is clean and lyrical with a formal quality that is reminiscent of the Silm. Here is her gorgeous opening in which Eönwë introduces himself:
"I am one of the Ainur, a Maia of Manwë, a creature of Ilúvatar since before Time began and Eä was brought into existence and kindled with the flame of the Imperishable Fire.
I weave my being into light, I soar amongst the stars, dive into the core of suns and dance in the luminescent pulse of the Song, that chimes from every speck and spark. I rejoice in the beauty of Arda, marred but still glorious.
There are Children, those who know me little, who whisper of my betrayal, of having unleashed evil back onto the world through my deeds. They fear and avoid me.
To those I say, once I was one of you. I touched, felt, bled, and wept; I laughed, loved and hated, not clad in a fana but bound to a hröa. I learnt of the gifts from the One to his Children, beautiful and bittersweet."

Thus begins a truly epic tale in which both Eönwë and Mairon chase the mirages of love and in the process shape the lives of all those on Middle-earth. Their story is complex, brilliant, and moving and has joined my list of all-time favorite fanfiction stories. I urge you to give this gem a try.

I worry about Eönwë’s oath and how it could clash with his desires once he’s reunited with Mairon…

Interesting to see the Herald of Manwë through Elrond’s eyes, and compare it with this Eönwë. He really has changed and I can’t help thinking that maybe would have been better if the all the Valar had spent time among the Children as one of them.

I like this Elrond, though I don’t know yet what to make of him. Is it something he saw in his vision, that makes him so reluctant to accept Eönwë’s allegiance, or something else? I enjoyed his banter with Celebrimbor about his past (every mention of Elrond’s time with Maedhros and Maglor makes me happy).

Our nest had been ruthlessly stamped on. I prayed to Eru that the scorpion would not attempt to sting his enemy in retaliation

Really liked that image, it’s very fitting.  

Both Elrond and Eönwë have been cornered into the situation. There is something spooky in the fact Elrond has seen Eönwë in his visions, that surely would cause some reluctance, if only out of fear, while Eönwë accepts because can't stand being locked any longer (and he likes Elrond, despite all). The compromise is not ideal but hey, what would be the story without conflict?

By comparing the two versions of Eönwë I was keen to show how the old Eönwë has changed, being now able to relate to the elves, when he couldn't in the past. 

As to the scorpion image, it's recurring along the story. Mairon used it in the past, and Eönwë is just recalling it now. I'm glad it works!

Thanks for your review Alasse, I hope you keep enjoying the story!

Like how Elrond and Eönwë are getting closer. If Eönwë can’t leave at least he deserves serving someone he cares about, without feeling  as though life in Lindon were no more than a period of servitude to be endured, without joy or pleasure to be found in being alive, like he put it.

I share Eönwë’s indignation on behalf of the people of Kiinlúum, and I too dread what Mairon could do. Because whatever he does would be the Valar’s fault and yet they would use it as proof of how unredeemable evil Mairon was. And really, I can’t believe how worried I am when I know what happens with Sauron. The thing is, what we read in LotR and the Silmarillion would be only half of the tale…

The thing is, what we read in LotR and the Silmarillion would be only half of the tale… Exactly! A key purpose of this tale is to provide a plot that explains the events of the Second Age and beyond, including Sauron's motivations, which are largely justified by Tolkien by the phrase "he fell back into evil, for the bonds that Morgoth had laid upon him were very strong". To me that statement is utter rubbish, it's just making Sauron into a cardboard cutout villain. I'm not trying to redeem him, as you will see, but to describe how he might have been driven to do what he did.

Yes, Elrond is a good guy. In order to explain Erestor's position as his councillor, there had to be a development of their trust, which is what these chapters in Lindon are about. I'm very happy you like how they're becoming friends.

 It maens a lot to know if this fic is pushing the right buttons - or not. I hope you'll keep letting me now. Thanks again!

You know, at the end by the tower, where you like to sulk.

Heh, I like your Elrond.

Elrond placed his hand over his heart, as though to mark the source of his intuition, and I briefly wondered whether Melyanna’s blood helped him sense a glimmer of my true nature under the wraps of my hröa.

I always wondered if his gift of foresight or his healer skills were a result of Melian’s blood. If the blood of Númenor was said to be strong in Aragorn and Faramir, so many generations later, then having a Maia as a great-great-grandmother must have left some mark in Elrond. Anyway, I’m glad that later he could make peace with his brother’s death, and to see the birth of his decision to help Elros’ descendants.

How could I ask him to trust the Valar’s promise of justice after what Námo had said, after what they had done?

Good question. It’s nice to read about a Maglor who has found some contentment.

‘I found patience,’ I said.

I’m happy for him. He has time, after all.

My Elrond can be a bit caustic sometimes, but he's a kind person, I'm happy you like him. Yes, like you I also believe it's his kinship with Melian that gives him his foresight. In my version he's not a healer yet. As to Maglor, initially I didn't write the scene, only that Eonwe saw him from afar. But as you say, I thought it was better to give a better idea of what had happened to him, so I added the encounter at the very last minute.

Thanks, Alasse!

 

What a bittersweet reunion. Mairon is happy Eönwë hasn’t betrayed him, but the damage caused by the Valar was too great and seems during all that time they were separated increased Mairon’s hatred. There were the first glimpses of Sauron here, which makes their time together more touching.

I'm glad you noticed the changes in Mairon. From this point onwards it became really difficult to write this story, very painful. It had been lovely to write about their days of happiness. But now... well, you know how it goes. Brace yourself for the ride.

I can't thank you enough for commenting and letting me know how you find each chapter. I appreciate each and every one of them. You're awesome. Gracias!

[Random thing -- I was a little worried I put my foot in my mouth in one of my prior reviews.  I called something "unfortunate," but I in no way meant that it was unfortunately worded.  I meant it was unfortunate for, well, all the characters involved. =D]

Anyway, I love the conversation the protagonists have with Elrond and Celebrimbor here.  How delightfully awkward for them.  Also, I usually have trouble reconciling graphic sex scenes with characters' out-of-the-bedroom behavior (naught to do with prudishness really), and evidently I've been following the escapades of these two long enough that these scenes are starting to integrate smoothly into my reading experience.  That's pretty rare for me, as usually I have a strong sense of being jarred from the plot, so kudos on that too.

You know, I never registered anything unfortunate so don't worry at all. I appreciate your telling me how you see the story, that's what matters, and if something I've written feels weird to you, I'd like to know why, if only to work out if it's something I've overlooked or misinterpreted.

Your comment about the sex scenes not jolting you out of the plot are a huge compliment, thank you! I've been careful to make sure they are part of the overall plot, and not gratuitous, so that they give us an insight into the mood or motivations of the characters or about their interaction in the "out-of-the-bedroom" life, as you call it.

A big thank you for reviewing!

 

Oh, what a beautiful chapter, Russa!

I don't even know where to begin.  I love Eonwë's regard for Nikteháa and I loved how richly and detailedly you have described their rituals.  I could taste his sorrow, feel his pain. 

This is marvelous. 

And of course, Mairon's words... so beautiful.

 

Thank you, Olorime. I had no choice but to tackle the matter of death, which Eönwë would have encountered during the war and then maybe amongst the people of Elros, but never as closely as this. I'm glad it worked for you. Mairon's words, if you mean the ones at the very end of the chapter, are all about the people of Kiinlúum still perceiving death as a gift and a release from the weariness of living. I'm sure immortal beings like the Maiar were jealous of that chance to leave it all behind.

You're wonderful, you know, leaving me another review. Thank you very much!

"Gorthaur!"

Ouch.  Ack.  I admire Mairon's restraint.  I think I'd completely lose it, in his place.

The terms on which they part are rather wrenching.  I really liked the hidden meanings in their letters, and now of course the cliffhanger has me wringing my hands.  Just read Hospitality, too; interesting to see Eönwë at a point in his timeline which this tale hasn't yet reached!

Oh, if you are wringing your hands now, wait for the next chapter. *** evil cackle *** Mairon was shocked and angry from disappointment, but he was also obsessed by his "mission", his dream, which kept him going, despite what he considers his lover's and friend's betrayal. He will proceed with or without Eönwë...

"Hospitality" takes place three or four chapters ahead of where we are here. Have you read Elegy? If you haven't I thoroughly recommennd it. Again Sauron, but a completely different version to Pandë's or mine.

Thanks for reviewing! It's great to have your company on this journey.

 

Yippeee, I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Of course I want you to be on the side of Mairon and Eönwë, to feel angry at how their life together was destroyed, and to know that the Valar were neither angelic nor infallible.

I hope you won't be disappointed with the rest. Now you're back into canon territory, but there are some unexpected twists, even if their story, overall, is much more predictable. This is not an AU, but a huge gapfiller, so sadly I've had to tackle the Ring and all the fallout after that...

Thank you!

 

Oh wow! Although I did know this was coming, it took me completely by surprise!

I can see why Elrond and the Lindon Elves would be rather suspicious of Eonwë, since he would tell them nothing, but was obviously more than he appeared.

I'm really impressed with the way you built up to this and the use of Erestor's name. I didn't know that in the early drafts he was supposed to be a hlaf-Elf, but love the way you worked it into your plot!

In a way it's a shame you knew what was coming, but on the other hand, if I've managed to surprise you despite all, I'm feeling smug! Yes, there are two versions of the original text of the Council of Elrond that mention Erestor. This is the second one: "There were three counsellors of Elrond's own household: Erestor his kinsman (a man of the same half-elvish folk known as the children of Luthien), and beside him two elflords of Rivendell." I just had to laugh at the "half-elvish" coincidence, even if Tolkien clearly meant that the other half was mortal, not Maiarin.

You may have forgotten, but Manwë told Eönwë in the second chapter that he would give him a name. As Mandos told Eönwë, he had foreseen him in the last battle and maybe in other events. How much the Valar know or guess is not clear. But anyway, I'm glad you liked the twist!

Thanks for reviewing, it makes me all smiley and excited!

(Oh, no knowing about Erestor beforehand, didn't spoil a thing for me; it's  the way these things are written that is important. I never mind spoilers.)

Wow - this was a chapter replete with...everything. So Eonwë named Mordor! (Loved the descriotions of it that 'Erestor' saw on his journeys. It has a grim, stark granduer to it. ) I like that idea a great deal, and the descriptions of the mysterious chieftain there -- it gives a sensation as of far-off thunder.

The meeting of Eonwë and Mairon, though, that is pure sexual electricity, just wonderfully portrayed. I am like to swoon!

Really grand job, Russa!

Funny, the issue about the name for Mordor came to me after I posted the chapter at the Lizards. I had used the name without giving it further thought and suddenly I realised there might have been no name for it at the time. Either it got its name later when Sauron was there, or someone named it because of the colouring of the land. Lava can be almost black, so the second option was plausible, too.

I had drafted their meeting even before Eönwë got to Lindon, I had imagined how he would hear Mairon's laughter first, and how he would feel absolutely paralised at the sight of him. When I finally got as far as to revising that point in the story I was dying to see them together again. It seems it shows!

I'm bouncing up and down, so happy that you're still enjoying it. Thank you!

It's great to have you on board and that you're still engrossed after so many chapters. Their relationship is certainly not ordinary; they've both struggled so much to reach the trust they needed to make it work, it's so sad to see it crumble now, just after finding each other again. I really hated writing this part, and even more the next couple of chapters. I know they are Tolkien's, but I've grown very fond of my two main characters, and being the "cause" of their misfortunes hasn't been easy. LOL.

I'm really hoping you'll like the rest of this epic - I never thought it would become this long, but the characters didn't let go - and its ending, too. I'm a bit nervous about that part.

Thank you so much!

 

Wow, I am so pleased to see this up, but I very much fear what will happen now.

 

Or like a banished Maia who has walked in the desert chasing a mirage, an enticing promise of cool water and shade under luscious trees, and instead he has found the dry white bones of his dead lover in a sea of barren sand.

 

That's so beautiful and so sad!

Poor Eönwë, I felt so bad shattering his dreams. I wish I could say things will improve after this, but we all know how they will go from here. About the line you quote, the title of the story applies to them both, in different ways. Sauron has pursued his vision of a realm to rival Valinor, and when all his patient efforts of coaching and seduction of Celebrimbor fail, he will lash out against everyone he believes has betrayed him, including his lover. In the meantime, Eönwë only refused him to prevent another tragedy and be able to reach his own miragw with Mairon at the end of his banishment. 

Thanks Spiced, you're kind to keep telling me how you like it!

 

The tension continues to build. This story is beyond spectacular. I cannot wait for the next chapter, but I will be very sad to see it end. It has been a wonderful journey. I will definitely return to the beginning and start over in order to read it all together as one piece.

The last line of this chapter chilled me to my bones!